Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #4481
Glitter Queen

Send a message via AIM to AudreyNicole Send a message via Yahoo to AudreyNicole

Those clothespins are adorable!! I love them!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #4482
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to paris062

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitysmom View Post
Hi Ladies!
I made a few stamped candles last year and didn't sell one! BUT! I put them in a "Christmas in July"craft show last weekend and sold them all! GO FIGURE!!!

Here are a few pix:
Attachment 192636

Attachment 192637

Attachment 192638

LOVE the idea of the boxes and the glass candle holder! Now to try to find boxes of some kind and to make them all at a profit!! Sometimes this craft show stuff is a pain!
love these candles. What did you end up selling them for? I've been shopping around for candles and picking them up here and there when they are on sale. Where do you buy yours?
Old 08-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #4483
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetickatie View Post
How much do you all sell your mini composition notebooks for? I was thinking $3 or $3.50 and $6-7 for the large ones (they're elaborately decorated). I don't want to overprice and have people walk away from my booth with a bad taste in their mouth. Also, has anyone had luck selling jumbo clothespins? I want to do some of those but am not sure if they'll sell well.

I looked at the survival kit page but a lot of it was kind of corny...I want to sell survival kits that have useful things in them (not like toothpicks to remind you to pick your friends wisely, rubber bands to remind you that you sometimes have to stretch yourself, an eraser to remind you to erase people's mistakes, etc.). What do you put in your survival kits, and what themes work well for an October fair?
Katie,
I put $4 on my mini notebooks with pens and $5 on the large ones. I put the large ones in walmart ziplock bags and made a topper to cover the seam. The smaller ones I put in bags I got from ULINE in mass quantity.

I've made the jumbo clothespins, and I think they are super cute. I've not sold any, YET. I put $3 on them.

I made a husband survival card kit, got the idea off of this thread. HTH!
Old 08-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #4484
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Thank you for the tips! I'll have to hit up the dollar store for some baggies if they have a good quantity for them.

Where did you get your clothespins to where you could sell 3 for $2?! I can't find them any cheaper than $2-3 for ONE plain one!
I got a bag of 100 for $3 at WalMart, making them 6 cents a piece. This are the smaller ones. The Jumbo clothespins I found for $1 at ACMoore.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #4485
Rubber Obsessor

I Love your clothespin magnets too! They are adorable. I have 2 bags of clothespins, just waiting for me to decorate. I didn't get to them before my last show. I also ordered magnets from the same place on ebay. I actually had ordered them for the tile magnets I made, but I ordered a size way to small. Luckily, they will be the perfect size for these clothespins!

Quote:
I get my clothespins at Walmart....100 for about 4.00.
Here are a few more pix of clothespins from last year. I sold them for 1.00 but will be selling them for 1.25 or 1.50 this year. I pretty much sold out of everything.... especially the teacher designs.
Attachment 192659

Attachment 192660

Attachment 192661

I get my magnets on ebayHERE. They are super strong and pretty reasonable.

Hope that helps!
Beth
Old 08-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #4486
Rubber Obsessor

Default pricing question

I have a question for those of you who have done lots of craft shows. Do you find that items that are evenly priced sell any better/worse than those with .25, .50 or .75 added onto them? I don't want to fool with making change and carrying around quarters. I wanted to charge $1.50 for a baggie of 4 pebble magnets at this last show, but rounded up to $2--and sold several of them at that price. But then I wanted to sell the magic piggy wands for .50, and didn't think people would pay $1 for one, so I put them at 2 for $1. None of them sold. Advice please! TIA!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #4487
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to TexasGrammy

Quote:
These are fantabulous! Oh how cute!
Bet they sell like candy!

Inspiration from our SCS Creative Crew each month: Creative Crew Galleries! Bringing a month FULL of Creative Crew Gone Wild challenges in August!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #4488
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlynne View Post
Beth, are the backs of the clothespins plain, with only the magnet? You cover the back with paper too, do you?
No, I leave the back of the clothespins plain. I figured that there was no reason to add additional cost to them for something that you weren't gonna see anyway.

Beth
Old 08-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #4489
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhb1281 View Post
Annette it is so good to see you back on this thread!! I missed you!! I always looked forward to your posts last year when we were all getting ready for our shows.
So sweet of you to say so, Diane. I've been lurking here now and then, but not posting much because I decided not to do shows this year (or maybe any year, lol.)

Last fall I did about 8 shows leading right up to Christmas and literally stayed up nights on end to get ready. I have a large family and Christmas is a big deal around here, too. I was just exhausted when it was all over. The monetary results were pretty disappointing, but overall I enjoyed being at the shows and meeting all the nice fellow crafters.

I've decided this year that I'm working for love, not money! I'm still making stuff but mainly for gifts for family and friends.

Thanks again. It's nice to be missed.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 08-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #4490
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris062 View Post
love these candles. What did you end up selling them for? I've been shopping around for candles and picking them up here and there when they are on sale. Where do you buy yours?
Thanks! I had the little 2" candles at 3.00 (2/5.00) and the 3" ones for 4.00.
I had actually found them at Hobby Lobby last year but don't remember the price offhand. I do know that I purchased them on sale or with a coupon. I think the poinsettia (sp?) is my favorite....I added some stickles on the flowers after they had cooled from the heat gun and they are really cute in real life!

Hope that helps -
Beth
Old 08-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #4491
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
No, I leave the back of the clothespins plain. I figured that there was no reason to add additional cost to them for something that you weren't gonna see anyway.

Beth
I left the backs plain for the ones I attached magnets to. If you put paper on them, the magnets don't stick well. The adhesive needs to go directly on the wood, otherwise they tend to pull away, paper and all.

Some of the clothespins I did decorate the backs, but they were not magnets, just to be used as cute little clips to hold stuff, or to hold a gift sack closed.

I got a huge pack of 100 of the small regular, laundry type pins at Walmart for around $3 or $4.

I sold quite a few of the non-magnet ones to people who said, "I have no idea what I'm going to do with these, but I want them because they're so cute!" Obviously they are women after my own heart.

Last edited by buggainok; 08-07-2010 at 03:45 PM..
Old 08-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #4492
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribelle3 View Post
I have a question for those of you who have done lots of craft shows. Do you find that items that are evenly priced sell any better/worse than those with .25, .50 or .75 added onto them? I don't want to fool with making change and carrying around quarters. I wanted to charge $1.50 for a baggie of 4 pebble magnets at this last show, but rounded up to $2--and sold several of them at that price. But then I wanted to sell the magic piggy wands for .50, and didn't think people would pay $1 for one, so I put them at 2 for $1. None of them sold. Advice please! TIA!
Ah, those cute Piggy Wands. I made a ton of them, and yes they are very cute. But no one really wanted to buy them. Almost everyone who stopped at my table picked one up, said how cute it was, showed it to her friends, read it out loud, and then put it back. I think I sold maybe 2 or 3 for $1 each.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #4493
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribelle3 View Post
This is something that I stuggle with at EVERY show...and I have been in a lot of them over the last few years!

I normally try to keep my prices even....BUT sometimes I feel I need to make the extra .50 or so to make it worth my time but feel that next step up to the whole $ may be too much to charge for an item! One thing that has worked for me is to offer a "discount" on multiples. For example, if I need to make 2.50 on an item to make my profit margin, then I will sell them for 3.00 or 2/$5.00.

I have only a couple of items that will not be evenly priced - and they are usually the smaller items that fall around that 1.00 - 1.50 price range. I do make sure that I have some 1.00 items for the kids to buy, but those are not a huge profit for me. I just hope to break even on them and that their moms will buy other things. I don't have anything under 1.00 because I can't justify the time for those items....I have to go through and deleat a lot of ideas for every show if they just aren't profitable or feasible.

Not sure if this answers your question or not, but once you get a few shows under your belt you will see what works best for you and the customers in your area.

Hope that helps a tiny bit!
Beth
Old 08-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #4494
Crimping Master

I am thinking of selling these washer necklaces this year. They are super easy and fun to make. I am thinking of selling them for $5.00 each. Is this enough? Too much? Here's what I have done so far ... some are covered with patterned paper and some are stamped on white paper, punched out and then colored with copics. They are all one leather cording and have clasps at the ends that I added.

Tell me what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
010.jpg   011.jpg   007.jpg  
Old 08-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #4495
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Oh the PDF file would work fine I'd like to do both sizes if possible!
Ok, I will find time soon to design them.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #4496
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Ok after reading through the thread some I have decided to put my products in clear bags so dirty fingers don't mess up the products Does anyone know where to get some bags that will hold composition notebooks? I am on a serious budget so I'd like to not spend a whole lot on it, but I realize you get what you pay for so I'm open to any suggestions on where to get them! I'd prefer online stores since my Jeep doesn't have functioning air conditioning and driving around looking for specific stuff is brutally hot! My nearest Michael's and Joann's are small and kind of puny, I gotta go about 8 miles through nasty traffic to get to the good ones. I have a good Hobby Lobby close to me though. So if anything I can use can be found there let me know!
I have been looking too and Ebay has several different sizes at good prices. I also found some 8x12 ziplock bags for the Composition Books at cleabags.com at 12 cents each. They also have several different sizes.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #4497
Pearl-ExPert

Where does everyone get their candles, and how much are they?
Old 08-08-2010, 04:55 AM   #4498
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsbynikki View Post
I picked up some small ones at Dollar Tree, but am going to check today at Wal-Mart and see what they have size and price wise.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:56 AM   #4499
Matboard Maniac

Is there any way to use vinyl cut outs on candles? Has anyone done this or tried to do it?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #4500
Glitter Queen

Quote:
I've been doing a few candles for a craft show and find that walmart has a lower price than anyplace else here. However, with a coupon, M's or Joann's is cheaper. But you can only buy one at a time there! Haven't done shows in nearly 10 years so quite nervous about the pricing and whether now is the best time to jump back in again!
Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #4501
Gabfest Goddess

Print your own free calendar
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 08-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #4502
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks everyone! I will check Wal-Mart and Dollar Tree for the candles
Old 08-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #4503
Kookie Creator

Ok, maybe a silly question, but did you buy everything separate? I was just at the Dollar Tree and didn't see any sets, so I'm assuming you bought everything separate??? What an awesome idea and I love that the boxes coordinate with the candles.

Sharon

PS. how much are you planning on selling them for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyNicole View Post
Thank you all for the kind words

Kaitysmom - What beautiful candles!! I am not sure how much you sold yours for, but I got everything (candles, boxes and glass globes) at my Dollar Tree. Each cost me $3 to make. You'd make a profit I'm sure... I am going to clean out my Dollar Tree today. LOL!
Old 08-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #4504
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

I would be very disappointed if I bought candles that had been stamped, appreciating the talent of the crafter making them, and then found out when I went to burn them that they came from a Dollar store. Those candles are deadly and, here, they are known to have lead in them. Anyone with sensitivites could get sick from them. Just my opinion.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #4505
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to NancyL2648

I'm having a really difficult time finding craft shows in my area....can someone recommend a site that shows craft shows?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #4506
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheermom View Post
I am thinking of selling these washer necklaces this year. They are super easy and fun to make. I am thinking of selling them for $5.00 each. Is this enough? Too much? Here's what I have done so far ... some are covered with patterned paper and some are stamped on white paper, punched out and then colored with copics. They are all one leather cording and have clasps at the ends that I added.

Tell me what you think.
Your washer necklaces are cute. I was thinking of doing some too.

As for pricing I think it depends on your location. I went to a show in Wichita Saturdsy just to snoop around. There was a lady there that had a few washer necklaces. I think she had $8 on them. No totaly sure but she also had scrabble necklaces and bottle cap necklaces for $8.

At the shows I do I would put $5 on the washer necklaces. That is what I sell my bottle cap, scrabble and domino necklaces for. I am thinking on doning a big show is Topeka and one in Stillwater, OK. If I do those big shows I will raise my prices.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #4507
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyL2648 View Post
I'm having a really difficult time finding craft shows in my area....can someone recommend a site that shows craft shows?
I've been calling local churches and have found a few that way (2), plus I'm doing PTSA shows at local schools - found one so far, and after school starts next week and people are back in the offices, I will call the other schools to see if they are doing any.

I found one that is a MOPS group by looking on Craig's List under events. I will keep looking there throughout the season to see if more are posted. I also found one on Craigs List that is in a retirement community near me.

I don't want to do too many shows and not have weekends for everything else. So far I am committed to 4, and I am hoping to find 1 or 2 more and that's it.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #4508
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHS View Post
I would be very disappointed if I bought candles that had been stamped, appreciating the talent of the crafter making them, and then found out when I went to burn them that they came from a Dollar store. Those candles are deadly and, here, they are known to have lead in them. Anyone with sensitivites could get sick from them. Just my opinion.
I had no idea Dollar store candles had lead in them. I'm so glad I haven't bought any from there!
Old 08-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #4509
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I had no idea Dollar store candles had lead in them. I'm so glad I haven't bought any from there!
I did not know that either. Thank you for sharing. I bought one there to play around with to see if I wanted to do candles. I found that the candle was really light and not substantial at all. I am having trouble finding candles at decent price to make it worth my while but I love the finished product.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #4510
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyL2648 View Post
I have found 5 so far just on Craigslist. I do a search in the "events" section for crafters, bazaar and fair and those seem to get hits.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #4511
Kookie Creator

Also check craigslist under the arts & crafts heading. I've found 3 that have been posted in the last two weeks!

Good luck!

Sharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalamon View Post
I have found 5 so far just on Craigslist. I do a search in the "events" section for crafters, bazaar and fair and those seem to get hits.

Good luck!
Originally Posted by NancyL2648
Old 08-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #4512
Glitter Queen

Send a message via AIM to AudreyNicole Send a message via Yahoo to AudreyNicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2girl View Post
Ok, maybe a silly question, but did you buy everything separate? I was just at the Dollar Tree and didn't see any sets, so I'm assuming you bought everything separate??? What an awesome idea and I love that the boxes coordinate with the candles.

Sharon

PS. how much are you planning on selling them for?
I bought everything seperate. The glass holders were right with the candles, and the boxes were alittle further down the aisle. Not sure about a selling price yet...

As far as the Dollar Store candles having lead in them... I have never heard that, but now I am curious. Wonder how DT can legally sell anything that has been proven harmful
Old 08-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #4513
Hardware Hotshot

For those concerned about the wicks in the candles they have already purchased you can check out this Snopes article. Chances are yours are safe. Towards the bottom of the article they provide an easy way to test the wicks to see if they do have lead. snopes.com: Lead in Candle Wicks They recommend rubbing the wick against a white piece of paper. If it leaves a light grey mark your wick has lead. If not you're OK. This of course only applies if you see that the core of your wick does have a silvery strand in it (which does mean you have a metal core wick) but most are zinc.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #4514
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Thanks! I had the little 2" candles at 3.00 (2/5.00) and the 3" ones for 4.00.
I had actually found them at Hobby Lobby last year but don't remember the price offhand. I do know that I purchased them on sale or with a coupon. I think the poinsettia (sp?) is my favorite....I added some stickles on the flowers after they had cooled from the heat gun and they are really cute in real life!

Hope that helps -
Beth
Hi Beth. Thank you for your earlier advice on paint cans. I love your projects and wondered how you added the bling to the candles. I had tried putting my glitter on before heating and it didn't turn out so well!!! Thanks again for sharing.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #4515
Matboard Maniac

Default Mini 4 Subject Notebooks

Last week I found some neat Mini 4 subject Notebooks at our local Dollar Tree. The covers are plastic and they come in black, red, green, and blue. I picked some up to alter and really like how they came out. They were very easy to do, so I think I will add them to my Craft Show list!

Here are some photos:
Altered Mini 4 Subject Notebook by jennunder - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Altered Mini Christmas Notebook by jennunder - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 08-09-2010, 06:11 AM   #4516
Hardware Hotshot

Jenn, those are really cute! They would make great holiday planners as well. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:26 AM   #4517
Matboard Maniac

Jenn, your notebooks are really cute!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #4518
Matboard Maniac

I wonder if the Dollar Trees in Canada sell different merchandise than the stores in the States? That is certainly a concern about the candles possibly containing lead, but I would think that most people would buy the candles for the "pretty" factor and not burn them anyway.....
Old 08-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #4519
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyone View Post
Hi Beth. Thank you for your earlier advice on paint cans. I love your projects and wondered how you added the bling to the candles. I had tried putting my glitter on before heating and it didn't turn out so well!!! Thanks again for sharing.
Its Stickles that I put on after the candle cooled down. They are really cute in real life!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #4520
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Beth - I just love all of your craft fair items. You are super talented! I can't stop thinking about those cute test tubes. Where did you find the tubes? Do you have a good supplier for cello bags and tins as well? I am thinking about doing nugget tins this year as well as tooth fairy tins. I someone's on here (can't remember who - sorry) that I thought were really cute too.