Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #4401
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy52974 View Post
Katz Americas | Manufacturer of Premium Pulpboard Printed Coasters: Home sells them for approximately $31 (includes shipping) for #1000
this is the new name for american coaster.
here's a couple of these i have learned
1. go online. just to get their 800#
2. order by pre wrapped bundles.
3. ?????? the cost of s/h. the woman i spoke to let me know it cost more to ship to a home rather than a business. you can make your home into a business address.
i do this by using..
jane doe
c/0 stampi up
town,state,zip code.
the savings are worth this.
4. i do a bulk order w/ local friends. we have ordered more the 10,000 at a time. do local so there is no shipping w/ friends
5. remember besides calendars you can use for christmas ornaments. do a search in SCS gallery. lots of ideas.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #4402
Kookie Creator

Are your multi colored leaves all staz-on ink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhb1281 View Post
Which ink ran the stazon or the sharpies? Or was it an interaction between the two? Last year I followed the instructions on Gina K on stamp tv from a link I found on this site. No baking and no spraying anything on it. Then she stuck one in a bowl of water to show it doesn't run. I believe it was all done with stazon and that is what I used on mine. The only thing I did differant from her video was dry the surface of each tile after stamping for about 20 seconds with my heat gun to make sure the ink was dry and then let them sit over night. The next day I rubbed them hard with a wet soft wash cloth to test them and only got a little ink residue off but no running of colors. Half I left natural and the other half that I colored I used stazon and used qtips to color. I also did multi colored fall leaves on a bunch and had no problem with them either. There is a picture in my gallery. I just bought a 24 pack of sharpies to try for this year for adding color but may still just stay with the stazon for coloring if you think the sharpies were the problem.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #4403
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by patscrap View Post
Can you tell me where you find cardboard coasters?

Thanks!

Pat
Here is where I got mine:
100 White Chipboard 4" Square Coasters - Altered Art - eBay (item 290459387861 end time Aug-06-10 11:39:57 PDT)
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM   #4404
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
This is good to know as I was really excited about all the different colors of sharpies I just got. One more thing I did before even stamping on the tiles was to clean them very well with cold water and rub with a soft wash cloth to get off the white dust residue on each one and then let them dry overnight before I even stamped them. If you don't prep them first that might be why there could be a problem with bleeding of colors.
Yep, I rinse/scrub gently mine too, I think Gina K mentions that in her video too. I let mine air dry in an old fashion drainer on my counter top for a couple of hours. I think preparation is key on these.
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 08-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #4405
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri'L View Post
Are your multi colored leaves all staz-on ink?
Yes, all stazon.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #4406
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsskgilbert View Post
I got packages of m&m's from Walmart- they have each individual color- red, green, blue, pink ect. You could probably use jelly beans as well?
Thanks, I will check there
Old 08-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #4407
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elin View Post
Hi ladies. Hope you don't mind me butting in. I've been following this thread for a long time, marvelling at all yoru fabulous ideas. I have a question that I just can't find the answer to and wonder if you can help.

When you use pegboard or hinged boards on your table for your display, how do you make sure it doesn't fall over? I would love to have one on my table but fear it will fall over onto everything or someone. By the way, I envy that in the US the norm is to have booths and what would over here be classed as very large scale events. Here the norm is one 6 foot table for about 20 per day!
I don't use a pegboard but wanted to tell you welcome to SCS! It's a great place - feel free to jump in and share your ideas!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #4408
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Which ink ran the stazon or the sharpies? Or was it an interaction between the two? Last year I followed the instructions on Gina K on stamp tv from a link I found on this site. No baking and no spraying anything on it. Then she stuck one in a bowl of water to show it doesn't run. I believe it was all done with stazon and that is what I used on mine. The only thing I did differant from her video was dry the surface of each tile after stamping for about 20 seconds with my heat gun to make sure the ink was dry and then let them sit over night. The next day I rubbed them hard with a wet soft wash cloth to test them and only got a little ink residue off but no running of colors. Half I left natural and the other half that I colored I used stazon and used qtips to color. I also did multi colored fall leaves on a bunch and had no problem with them either. There is a picture in my gallery. I just bought a 24 pack of sharpies to try for this year for adding color but may still just stay with the stazon for coloring if you think the sharpies were the problem.
It was definitely the stazon ink, not the part i had colored. I was so surprised. I even thought I was imagining things, so I left an icy cup on them again as a test, and sure enough, it was where the stazon was stamped. I could rub it off with my thumb. I also clean them before stamping, with a baby wipe...I wouldn't think that could have caused the problem because they were completely dry afterwards. Hmmm. Makes me want to do another test. I DID bake them though, so that should have heat set the ink, right?
Old 08-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #4409
Kookie Creator

Wonder if your ink was old? I had a problem with old stazon a long time ago. That being said I didn't know it came in colors! I buy 90% of my stuff from SU and they only have black now I think.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #4410
Matboard Maniac

Do baby wipes have a little oil in them? I would wipe the tile down with rubbing alcohol and let dry for an hour or 2 before stamping. Then try it again.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #4411
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribelle3 View Post
It was definitely the stazon ink, not the part i had colored. I was so surprised. I even thought I was imagining things, so I left an icy cup on them again as a test, and sure enough, it was where the stazon was stamped. I could rub it off with my thumb. I also clean them before stamping, with a baby wipe...I wouldn't think that could have caused the problem because they were completely dry afterwards. Hmmm. Makes me want to do another test. I DID bake them though, so that should have heat set the ink, right?
I use baby wipes to clean my stamps. It takes SU ink off completely and I use stazon cleaner too for the stazon ink. I bet it is the baby wipes that is making your colors run and not letting your ink set. Make sure your rubber is clean and rinsed and dry before inking it so you don't get any in your ink pads. Only clean your tiles with water and let them dry completely and then stamp them. Let me know if this works because I haven't had any problems.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #4412
Matboard Maniac

I have never cleaned my tiles with baby wipes, but it makes sense that they might leave a little residue on the tiles. I wash my tiles well with water and a clean dish scrubber and then let them dry overnight before stamping. Also make sure that you stamp with stazon and then let it dry overnight before coloring with sharpies. Sometimes I even stamp the stazon, then bake, then color with sharpies, then bake again, and THEN seal with spray sealer. Overkill right???
Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #4413
Matboard Maniac

Default tile painting

I am also a tole painter. When you paint on glass, you always clean with rubbing alcohol to make sure all oil, etc. is off. You could do the same with the tile, I would think.
I hope we have solve your problem. No more baby wipes before stamping.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #4414
Matboard Maniac

I am making some pet record books for boutiques but am not sure how much to sell them for. Can anyone help me with pricing these. I have not seen others around. Do any of you make something similar?
You can see them here on this opening page. There are other things too, but the kitty and puppy records are labeled, also a shot of inside pages are on the page.
<< Please attach SCS gallery photos ... Thanks!>>
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 08-04-2010 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: Please insert SCS Gallery links. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #4415
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
I forgot about calendars and I'm doing those too for the sale. The coaster kind - I use coasters for the outside and cut 4x4 cardstock for the pages - I find lots of fun calendar templates on here. Those sell very well and are pretty easy to do. I stopped stamping on them, just use designer paper so they don't take too long to do.

'Somewhere' on this site (I think this is where I saw it) someone posted a place where you could order tile from - it was a whiter tile, but it was flat - not full of holes - and shipping was free and it was pretty much what we paid for them at the stores. Anyone remember seeing that and can lead me to where it was? I'm going to search for it too. I didn't see it on the threads here when I went through them.
I made different types of calendars last year as Christmas gifts for teachers, family, and friends. That is good to know that they sell well. I will have to add them onto my list. For some of them I bought 12 x 12 chipboard from Walmart.com and cut it down, covered with paper and used my Bind-it-all. I also made some with magnets on the back. Here are some photos of how they turned out: <>Chipboard Desk Calendar. I also altered clipboards into calendars, but those take a bit longer to do, so I am trying to decide if I make some of them for an upcoming Craft Show or not. Here are some pictures of one of them: <> Anyway thanks for the reminder about the calendars!

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 08-04-2010 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: Please insert SCS Gallery links. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:31 AM   #4416
Matboard Maniac

Jenn, your chipboard desk calendar and altered clipboards both turned out great! I agree that the clipboards are a lot of work! I have actually taken them off my list for this year, but might do them next year...
Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #4417
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlynne View Post
I am also a tole painter. When you paint on glass, you always clean with rubbing alcohol to make sure all oil, etc. is off. You could do the same with the tile, I would think.
I hope we have solve your problem. No more baby wipes before stamping.
Thank you for all the advice!!!! I feel bad though, I recommended to someone on here that if they mess up while stamping on a tile to immediately use a baby wipe to clean it off. I hope they are still reading!!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #4418
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlynne View Post
I am making some pet record books for boutiques but am not sure how much to sell them for. Can anyone help me with pricing these. I have not seen others around. Do any of you make something similar?
You can see them here on this opening page. There are other things too, but the kitty and puppy records are labeled, also a shot of inside pages are on the page. Just click to enlarge:
Pictures by craftylme - Photobucket

Thanks in advance.
How much do you have in them? I'm terrible at pricing....
Old 08-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #4419
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennunder View Post
I made different types of calendars last year as Christmas gifts for teachers, family, and friends. That is good to know that they sell well. I will have to add them onto my list. For some of them I bought 12 x 12 chipboard from Walmart.com and cut it down, covered with paper and used my Bind-it-all. I also made some with magnets on the back. Here are some photos of how they turned out: Chipboard Desk Calendar. I also altered clipboards into calendars, but those take a bit longer to do, so I am trying to decide if I make some of them for an upcoming Craft Show or not. Here are some pictures of one of them:Altered Clipboards. Anyway thanks for the reminder about the calendars!
Very nice! I've done some clipboards too, and yes, they seem to take a while....but I do like how they turn out. How much do you sell them for, and to they sell well?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #4420
Matboard Maniac

I have about $2.50 in the pet records.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #4421
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris062 View Post
I thought I would share some pics of my set up. Please keep in mind the gift card tree, step display, etc are from last year and the very first show I did.

I am thinking of painting the peg board white or black as well as the step displays for this season. The step displays and the skirting were my belonged to my MIL when she did shows for ceramics. She gifted them to me. I don't know what I would have done with them or her!

I got a lot of ideas from Kerry @ Kerry's Paper Crafts. She is a sweetheart! Another one to credit is Angie Juda @ Chic 'n Scratch. Both are very talented and so generous to share their ideas on their blogs.

I will post more pics from my spring show this year...
Great display. Love the step idea.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #4422
Stazon Splitcoast

fun thread
Old 08-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #4423
Glitter Queen

Quote:
I use baby wipes to clean my stamps. It takes SU ink off completely and I use stazon cleaner too for the stazon ink. I bet it is the baby wipes that is making your colors run and not letting your ink set. Make sure your rubber is clean and rinsed and dry before inking it so you don't get any in your ink pads. Only clean your tiles with water and let them dry completely and then stamp them. Let me know if this works because I haven't had any problems.
I wonder if that's why mine run too. I used Stazon ink, but was able to wipe off quite a bit even the next day. I'll try doing it again without using any baby wipe! Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #4424
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribelle3 View Post
Very nice! I've done some clipboards too, and yes, they seem to take a while....but I do like how they turn out. How much do you sell them for, and to they sell well?
Thanks for the complement! I actually haven't tried to sell them. I have just recently started making things to sell at an upcoming local Craft Show in November. Depending how that goes will let me know if I want to pursue making a small business out of doing paper crafts or just keep enjoying making them as gifts.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #4425
Kookie Creator

Where did you get your little calendars for your clipboards and mini books, jennunder?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #4426
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetickatie View Post
Where did you get your little calendars for your clipboards and mini books, jennunder?
I actually designed them on Microsoft Office Publisher. I love that program! Once I got the size set I saved it on my computer and printed off several. On the small ones I was able to get 9 to a page and on the medium sized ones for the clipboards I got 2 per page.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #4427
Cardstock Collector

Hi everyone. I'm really loving this thread. I know that with everyone's craftiness and vast craft fair nowledge that you all could help me with some ideas please. I have several small clear paint cans and gallon sized cans (not clear). I"m looking for wonderful ideas for these that I can sell at crafts fairs. My first one is Labor Day weekend.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #4428
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty*Kate View Post
I have never cleaned my tiles with baby wipes, but it makes sense that they might leave a little residue on the tiles. I wash my tiles well with water and a clean dish scrubber and then let them dry overnight before stamping. Also make sure that you stamp with stazon and then let it dry overnight before coloring with sharpies. Sometimes I even stamp the stazon, then bake, then color with sharpies, then bake again, and THEN seal with spray sealer. Overkill right???
Just wondered why you spray with a sealer?? I thought one of the features of using the tumble marble tiles is the absorbency and if sprayed with a sealer they would no longer be absorbent. I checked with my daughter who has been using a set for hot and cold beverages and she said there has been no bleeding or fading. She has been using them for about 8 months. I haven't used any sealer and have not baked them, but they were done with all stazon ink. I guess I will experiment with one tile with the stazon/sharpie combination and check for bleeding before I do a bunch.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #4429
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcrafts View Post
Hi everyone. I'm really loving this thread. I know that with everyone's craftiness and vast craft fair nowledge that you all could help me with some ideas please. I have several small clear paint cans and gallon sized cans (not clear). I"m looking for wonderful ideas for these that I can sell at crafts fairs. My first one is Labor Day weekend.
First off, welcome to Splitcoast! You will love it here! As for the paint cans, they make super "Teacher survival kits", "Parents Survival kits", Pamper me kits, sports themed kits...etc. Here is a great sie with all sorts of ideas about what to put inside, then do a search here to see how people decorate them. They should sale great!

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 08-04-2010 at 11:05 PM.. Reason: Please insert SCS Gallery links. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:30 AM   #4430
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcrafts View Post
Yes, this is a great thread with a bunch of talented people. It sure has helped me a lot! There are all kinds of ideas in this website's Gallery. If you haven't searched the Gallery before all you have to do is select the Search option on the left side and type in Paint cans. You will see lots of neat ideas. Here are a few that I like:

Tags or Hot Chocolate anyone? by Butternutsage - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Christmas Paint cans by Monique Hansen - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Graphic 45 Tool Caddy by Lyn B - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Teacher gifts by Jeanniebabes - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 08-05-2010, 05:42 AM   #4431
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyscrapin View Post
First off, welcome to Splitcoast! You will love it here! As for the paint cans, they make super "Teacher survival kits", "Parents Survival kits", Pamper me kits, sports themed kits...etc. Here is a great sie with all sorts of ideas about what to put inside, then do a search here to see how people decorate them. They should sale great! **
Would love to see all the "survival kits" but th elink did not come through.

Urgently Needed - Cards for Jayden
Old 08-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #4432
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldumont999 View Post
Would love to see all the "survival kits" but th elink did not come through.
UGH, sorry, that is what happens when I stay up to late!

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 08-05-2010 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: Please link to your SCS Gallery photos. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 AM   #4433
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyscrapin View Post
UGH, sorry, that is what happens when I stay up to late! ***
Not a Probl. TOTALLY understand. LOL

Took a break at the office, grabbed a big cup of java and checked out a bunch of the survival kits. AWESOME. Each can be easily modified to fit in various sized containers and I have no doubt they will sell very well at holiday craft sales.

Thanks so much for sharing this site.
~Blessings

Urgently Needed - Cards for Jayden
Old 08-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #4434
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Just wondered why you spray with a sealer?? I thought one of the features of using the tumble marble tiles is the absorbency and if sprayed with a sealer they would no longer be absorbent. I checked with my daughter who has been using a set for hot and cold beverages and she said there has been no bleeding or fading. She has been using them for about 8 months. I haven't used any sealer and have not baked them, but they were done with all stazon ink. I guess I will experiment with one tile with the stazon/sharpie combination and check for bleeding before I do a bunch.
My tiles are stamped with stazon ink and colored with SU chalks. My first attempt at the tiles was to bake them but when I tested them, the color ran. The best thing that has worked for me has been to seal them with the acrylic sealer. Check my gallery for samples of some of the tiles I have done. The tumbled tile coasters have sold well at the local market. I will be doing trivets using the larger tumbled tiles and will post pics as soon as I can.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #4435

May I ask what everyone charges for their altered paint cans? I found some clear paint can's at M's recently and thought they were very expensive - $9.?? a can. Didn't seem like a feasible project at that price. Where are you finding your cans and how much are you paying for them? The samples shown here are very cute and would sell well I'm sure.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #4436
Pearl-ExPert

I don't seal my tumbled tiles. But I don't color them in with pastels or anything. sometimes I use Sharpies for some color, but I like to leave them black or brown because then I don't get people saying they don't match their colors at home. I use Stayzon ink and that's pretty much it. Most people (when I did them for a sale) asked if they were sealed, as they didn't want them sealed. I never really thought of it when I did it, but they ended up that way.

I did make trivets last year for gifts and I used paint to decorate (with the SU! stencils) and I did bake and seal those. Just because I thought they would last longer with the hot stuff going on them. Just used a spray sealer (and just about killed us all in the house! - Winter, spray can of stuff, not a good combination!).

And with the dusty tiles, I found that if I rinsed them (and you do have to do something with the dust - wipe, rinse or something) I had to let them sit a very long time. If they have any moisture in them still, the stamping can be a problem. I just wipe mine down with a damp rag and then it doesn't take as long to dry.

And I think in other posts too people talked about red colors being problem bleeders. I do remember (one of the first tiles I did) coloring with red permanent marker and that bleeding a bit. But the other colors didn't. Weird, but maybe there is something in making red that causes problems.

Everyone has different ways to do tiles and they all seem to work. They are pretty cheap, so buy some, test them out, do what works best for you. They are so fun to do and really easy.

Candles are really easy to do too. I love the candles I have seen with the Medallion stamp. And maybe a brad in the middle of that emblem. They are so pretty. I may add some of those to my table as well.

MY GALLERY
Old 08-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #4437

I love stamping on candles. My candles stamped with Flaky Friends were a bit hit for Christmas last year. Unfortunately, I have had no luck selling my candles at the market this summer. I used the roses from the Elements of Style and they look so pretty. I recently stamped a candle with the Medallion stamp with a crystal brad in the center. It also looks lovely but has not sold either. Maybe candles are more of a winter thing!!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #4438
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
I sprayed the coasters to protect the image. I used Krylon Triple-Thick Crystal Clear Glaze, which gives a bright, high-gloss finish, looks like glass, and gives the illusion of depth. I love the look of these - so "finished". I have used one of the sealed coasters for over 4 years and have never had a problem with condensation beading from cold drinks so I don't know why it would be a deterrent from people buying them? To each his own, I guess...
Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #4439
Matboard Maniac

Mary, love the stamped candle idea. I have that on my list of items to try next year!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #4440
Kookie Creator

Hm, the link still isn't showing up...could you repost it or PM me the link? I'd appreciate it!

And Jennunder, would you consider selling me a few of the calendars? I don't have that program and LOVE how yours look. Let me know