Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #3841
Pearl-ExPert

Default Christmas card sets

With Christmas card sets do people prefer all cards of the same design in the set or every card should be different? Any ideas?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #3842
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smriti View Post
With Christmas card sets do people prefer all cards of the same design in the set or every card should be different? Any ideas?
My experience selling this Christmas was that for smaller sets of less than 5 cards, people liked variety in design so they could personalize it for their friends and family. For larger sets of more than 10 cards, people wanted all of the same kind so they could use it to mail out to more distant friends and family.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #3843
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by smriti View Post
I guess it really depends on the person. I have only done sets where they are all the same.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #3844
Gabfest Goddess

Mine are all different though sometimes similar/same theme. I put 6 in a set and I like to put at least a couple in that set that are suitable for men.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #3845
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Ladies! And how much do you price them at? Do you price sets with same card differently than those with different cards?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #3846
Insane Embellisher

Default COUPON AT JOANNS

Thought I would share a coupon from their Facebook page:

Don't forget your coupon for 15% off your total craft purchase in-store! http://j.mp/yhqeRx
OR get Free Shipping with a $40 purchase on joann.com with code: FSS63!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #3847
Matboard Maniac

Hello Ladies, I used to post on this thread often, but have just been lurking for a while. I wanted to thank you all because I now have some great new ideas thanks to all your wonderful input / examples! I will keep posting as I make items to sell at upcoming craft shows.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #3848
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Thought I would share a coupon from their Facebook page:

Don't forget your coupon for 15% off your total craft purchase in-store! http://j.mp/yhqeRx
OR get Free Shipping with a $40 purchase on joann.com with code: FSS63!
Thanks Diane! I didn't have time to go before work today. And now thanks to you, I'll have an extra 15% off, when I go tonight! Hip, Hip, Hooray!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #3849
Glitter Queen

I know this has been covered 100 times here, but can someone show me a template or give me some ideas on the chocolate bar wrapper redo? Many many thanks!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 AM   #3850
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mluddy@aol.com View Post
I know this has been covered 100 times here, but can someone show me a template or give me some ideas on the chocolate bar wrapper redo? Many many thanks!!!
Could you be a little bit more specific. This request is very vague. Are you looking for the Snowman Candy Bar Wrapper or something else?
Judi
Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #3851
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mluddy@aol.com View Post
I did a gallery search for candy bar wrapper and came up with lots of pages:

candy - Homemade Cards, Rubber Stamp Art, & Paper Crafts - Splitcoaststampers.com

Here are some that I made for Valentine's Day, using pattern paper and cute Valentine stickers. Very easy. I've done these for all occasions, Halloween and Christmas, too.

Valentine Candy Wrappers by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 03-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #3852
Cardstock Collector

Default Whew!

It's taken me a couple of weeks, but I started with the original craft fair thread and read through all the messages on both of them and I finally made it to the end. So much amazing information! I am so inspired and I definitely want to try doing some craft fairs next fall. Thanks to all who have shared!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #3853
Gabfest Goddess

Wow. That's a lot of reading! Congrats on getting through it all!!!!!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #3854
Rubber Obsessor

The 5 pack RSVP pens are on sale for $1.00 at my Staples starting March 24. Check your local ad to see if your store has them.
Judi
Old 03-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #3855
Insane Embellisher

Anyone have ideas for an April show??
I am thinking Mother's Day - cards, notebooks..anything else??
This will be my first spring show.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:51 AM   #3856
Pearl-ExPert

As you are in Canada I am not sure if you celebrate the same occasions when we celebrate in the U.S. If I were doing a spring show I would make graduation cards, wedding, bridal shower, and Father's Day cards. All these take place before summer officially begins.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #3857
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
How about gifts for teachers for the end of the year?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #3858
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Mother's Day and teacher gifts are both great ideas. I would also add gift card holders for graduations. And, I don't think it is too early to have gift card holders for weddings, too. If you do party favors, I would have some wedding/wedding shower and baby shower samples available for orders.

Also, if you make things like bookmarks or magnets, you could make them in spring/summer themes.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #3859
Mad Swapper

As far as Teacher Appreciation... the "Thanks for making me a Smartie" idea is really cute. Here's my take on it.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #3860
Insane Embellisher

Thanks! I was thinking Mother's and Father's Day but hadn't considered graduation. I will add some of those.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #3861
Glitter Queen

Hi everyone! I am new here (long time lurker, first time registrant/poster!) and I have been crafting for years and have just recently started to think about selling some things at craft fairs like you all do. My main concern is lack of time, I was even thinking of starting to make up some Halloween stuff NOW lol But I was wondering, and I hope this isn't rude or too personal, but do you actually make money doing this? I know that nobody is going to Disney World selling repackaged candy bars, but do you make enough to make it worth it? I'm just looking for a little fun money for my kids. But after all the supplies/materials that are used and the fair prices I have seen you set, as well as the cost of the booth rental, is it all still worth it? I hope it is okay that I asked that. I have just wasted so much money, trying to *make* money that I am trying to do my "due diligence" before I go buy supplies and jump right in with crafting.

P.S. I don't have much supplies, I haven't scrapbooked in over a year because I had twins and then right away got pregnant again! So I sold a bunch of my stuff and actually started doing all my scrapbooking digitally (since I am already addicted my MacBook haha) but I do miss paper crafting a lot. However I need a lot of stuff to get started...
Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #3862
Watercolor Wizard

Katie, that question is not too personal, but a reasonable one, I think. You will probably get different answers from different folks. I will tell you about my experiences.

A couple of years ago, I jumped in and did a flurry of craft shows, from October right up to Christmas. I think there were about 8 that I did.

First, I had to buy an 8 ft. folding table, since many of the shows don't provide them, or if they do, it costs extra. That was about $50 to start with. Then a black queen size sheet for a tablecloth. I found other things to use for my display around my house, and found a few little shelves, etc. at thrift stores.

I had quite a few supplies already, since I'm really into cardmaking. But I did buy extra cardstock, etc. with a holiday theme, for Halloween and Christmas. so that was an extra expense. Lots of other little things here and there, too. I really didn't keep track of what I spent, but I should have, lol.

I do remember that I made a lot of post it holders, and those post it pads aren't cheap to buy. Also, pens to go with them, and acrylic holders. Many of the things I found at the Dollar store, but it all added up in the end. Also, altered notebooks. Even though I found them on sale, it was quite a bit to spend.

The booth fees in my area varied. There were some shows at local churches that were pretty reasonable, about $25 for a one day show. There were a couple of larger ones that advertised a lot, and their fees were pretty hefty, $50 or $60 each.

There is no way I could keep track and count the cost of my time. I spent every evening until the wee hours making stuff. I enjoyed it, because I love papercrafting, but doing it on a timeframe, and making so many multiples of each thing became pretty stressful.

The money I actually made was really not worth what I invested. There is no way to know ahead of time if you will make any money at a show or not. I sold a lot of things at a $25 booth, and was really excited. Came home, made a bunch more stuff to replenish my inventory.

Then the next show, that was heavily advertised, and had a really good reputation, was a complete bust! It was one of the ones that cost $60. People showed up, but no one was buying. Not just my stuff, but the other vendors with jewelry, candles, handsewn items, etc. said they had no sales to speak of either. You just can't predict what the public will do.

By the time I counted the cost of my gas to get there, and the lunch I bought for myself, and the booth rent, I actually lost money on that show.

The others were the same. Some I made a little bit - a very little, lol. And some weren't worth the gas to get there.

I'm not beating my own drum, but I think I had a very nice display, and everyone who stopped oohed and aahed over my stuff. They just weren't buying much.

I enjoyed the experience, as I'd always wanted to do it. I met lots of nice people at the shows and loved visiting with the other vendors. But I decided it was too much work and too much expense for an uncertain reward.

So, now when I make things, I work for love and not for money, lol. I give my crafty stuff to friends and family.

Here is a link to my gallery with some pics of my craft fair displays if you'd like to take a look. The table was set up in my dining room as a "run through" before my first show.

Stampin Up! Gallery: Craft Fair Photos - Page 1 - Cards & More - Splitcoaststampers

Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #3863
Glitter Queen

Wow, thank you so much for your detailed and honest response! That was very helpful. I was thinking this is how it would go for me. This is probably one of those things that you can make out in the end but you gotta keep at it, I guess. Well thank you again
Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #3864
Watercolor Wizard

Katie, I hope I didn't sound too discouraging. And you are right, there are people who do shows on a regular basis and seem to make money at it.

I think they probably are very organized, watch their expenses, and keep an inventory going all the time. This would mean you need storage to keep stuff from previous shows and add to it as you go along.

You might want to do what you said, since your time is limited with little ones to take care of. Just start now, and make a few things when you can. The fall shows will be here before you know it. You might want to go in with a friend and share the cost of a booth, just to get your feet wet, and see if you like doing it.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #3865
Glitter Queen

No it wasn't discouraging at all, in fact it was encouraging ultimately because if I had gone into this blindly expecting to make a lot of money I would think I was doing something wrong! I'm not sure what I will ultimately do, but I do have a friend who makes hair bows so maybe I can share a table with her like you said Thank you!
Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #3866
Gabfest Goddess

To me it's like having a garage sale, stuff is priced right, people come and go, stuff you think won't sell, sells fast, stuff you think will sell, doesn't and your scratching your head, thinking "what the heck"! In other words, the buying public will fool you everytime, so be prepared.
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 04-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #3867
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieNK View Post
No it wasn't discouraging at all, in fact it was encouraging ultimately because if I had gone into this blindly expecting to make a lot of money I would think I was doing something wrong! I'm not sure what I will ultimately do, but I do have a friend who makes hair bows so maybe I can share a table with her like you said Thank you!
Good - I'm glad I didn't rain on your parade. As it gets closer to fall, check out Craigslist for your town for info on festivals and craft shows. That's where I found a lot of the ones I participated in.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #3868
Matboard Maniac

Hello ladies! I am thinking about signing up for a craft show at a local church on May 19. I have never done a Spring craft show and have some ideas for some larger crafts, but was looking for suggestions for easy $1 items to add to the booth. I thought about changing the Turkey Tootsie Pop someone posted last year to flowers or bugs, but what about other ideas? Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #3869
Stazon Splitcoast

graduation cards. gift card holders,etc. as it's close to graduation time. think school,college colors.
maybe teacher gifts-elem grads
fathe'sr & mother's day cards?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #3870
Stazon Splitcoast

oh,simple bookmarkers for summer reading?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #3871
Insane Embellisher

How about patriotic banners, birthday banners, cupcake toppers, congratulations (general) cards...there's grads, retirement, wedding, new jobs. Tropical themes for summer parties (banners, invites, cupcake toppers). I know that most of these aren't dollar items...but some of them can be quick and can really add up for you.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #3872
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Katie, that question is not too personal, but a reasonable one, I think. You will probably get different answers from different folks. I will tell you about my experiences.

A couple of years ago, I jumped in and did a flurry of craft shows, from October right up to Christmas. I think there were about 8 that I did.

First, I had to buy an 8 ft. folding table, since many of the shows don't provide them, or if they do, it costs extra. That was about $50 to start with. Then a black queen size sheet for a tablecloth. I found other things to use for my display around my house, and found a few little shelves, etc. at thrift stores.

I had quite a few supplies already, since I'm really into cardmaking. But I did buy extra cardstock, etc. with a holiday theme, for Halloween and Christmas. so that was an extra expense. Lots of other little things here and there, too. I really didn't keep track of what I spent, but I should have, lol.

I do remember that I made a lot of post it holders, and those post it pads aren't cheap to buy. Also, pens to go with them, and acrylic holders. Many of the things I found at the Dollar store, but it all added up in the end. Also, altered notebooks. Even though I found them on sale, it was quite a bit to spend.

The booth fees in my area varied. There were some shows at local churches that were pretty reasonable, about $25 for a one day show. There were a couple of larger ones that advertised a lot, and their fees were pretty hefty, $50 or $60 each.

There is no way I could keep track and count the cost of my time. I spent every evening until the wee hours making stuff. I enjoyed it, because I love papercrafting, but doing it on a timeframe, and making so many multiples of each thing became pretty stressful.

The money I actually made was really not worth what I invested. There is no way to know ahead of time if you will make any money at a show or not. I sold a lot of things at a $25 booth, and was really excited. Came home, made a bunch more stuff to replenish my inventory.

Then the next show, that was heavily advertised, and had a really good reputation, was a complete bust! It was one of the ones that cost $60. People showed up, but no one was buying. Not just my stuff, but the other vendors with jewelry, candles, handsewn items, etc. said they had no sales to speak of either. You just can't predict what the public will do.

By the time I counted the cost of my gas to get there, and the lunch I bought for myself, and the booth rent, I actually lost money on that show.

The others were the same. Some I made a little bit - a very little, lol. And some weren't worth the gas to get there.

I'm not beating my own drum, but I think I had a very nice display, and everyone who stopped oohed and aahed over my stuff. They just weren't buying much.

I enjoyed the experience, as I'd always wanted to do it. I met lots of nice people at the shows and loved visiting with the other vendors. But I decided it was too much work and too much expense for an uncertain reward.

So, now when I make things, I work for love and not for money, lol. I give my crafty stuff to friends and family.

Here is a link to my gallery with some pics of my craft fair displays if you'd like to take a look. The table was set up in my dining room as a "run through" before my first show.

Stampin Up! Gallery: Craft Fair Photos - Page 1 - Cards & More - Splitcoaststampers
Wow this has been a very helpful post,thanx for sharing xx jo xx
Old 04-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #3873
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the ideas, especially the banners... I had not considered doing those, but I have a Cricut & could probably whip them out pretty quickly. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #3874
Pearl-ExPert

I saw these on a blog and I think they are so cute - I'm not sure if you would sell them (although I think you could but what to charge would be the thing) but they would sure make a table pretty!

Mixed Bunch & Blossom Punch Chocolate Butterflies Sarahs Ink Spot

MY GALLERY
Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #3875
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=KatieNK;19317503]Hi everyone! I am new here (long time lurker, first time registrant/poster!) and I have been crafting for years and have just recently started to think about selling some things at craft fairs like you all do. My main concern is lack of time, I was even thinking of starting to make up some Halloween stuff NOW lol But I was wondering, and I hope this isn't rude or too personal, but do you actually make money doing this?QUOTE]

It is definitely possible to make money. I have increased my sales slowly over the past 3 years. I have learned alot in the process though.
Making items with a retail cost of $5 or less is essential in the beginning.

In my area, craft shows all provide tables. I started with smaller but well established church sales. School sales do not usually do well, because people attend these more as a community event than to buy things.

The key is really to buy your supplies cheap, preferably last year's papers and decorative items. Otherwise, you can use very nice $1 stickers to fancy things up also.
Be creative and package things up professionally. I use clear bags or sleeves to package everything.

Start small and be prepared to break even, but have fun. If you make money, then slowly add other items.

Have a look at my Facebook page: Inspired Bliss
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #3876
Rubber Obsessor

This may be a sideline idea to your craft fairs which you may like to try. It has worked for me. You may be able to get extra customers at the fairs, to sell to between fairs, in this way.

I make some sample craft items, mostly papercrafts, which children can make or assemble- just one prototype/ sample, not multiples : Christmas decorations, punch art cards or bookmarks, embossed cards or pictures, simple boxes, Paper dolls, etc. I use my own cuttlebug folders, dies and punches, and sundry items such as paper plates, cups, glitter- commonly found items, etc, to create the prototype/sample. I display them to attract childcare centres (my main target customers are staff who find it hard to find the time to prepare craft activities for their child care centre children, or staff who just aren't confident with craft activities). If they like a sample, they pay me to prepare it for them as an activity to do at the child care centre. I use my tools but their materials. I usually prepare about 20-30 per activity. I prepare the activity, place the parts in plastic bags and give simple printed instructions with the sample pictured on the instructions. Sometimes, I have bought some of the materials for the centres when necessary but have been reimbursed for them. This means that I am not trying to make a profit on the product but am being paid for my time. One activity takes an average of half an hour to prepare and I have been getting $20 per hour. In the lead up to Christmas, I was very busy, but usually have about 4 hours per week which is $80.
Good luck with it, if you try it. HTH!
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #3877
Cardstock Collector

so many good ideas on here!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #3878
Rubber Obsessor

glad to see this thread moving again! I love all the ideas. I have yet to participate in my first show, but I am strongly considering it.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #3879
Insane Embellisher

I made some of the candle cards for my craft show next weekend. I will try to take pics & upload them on the weekend.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #3880
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to blueslady

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieNK View Post
But I was wondering, and I hope this isn't rude or too personal, but do you actually make money doing this?
Hi Katie-

This is a great question with many different answers. Do you mean make more money than you spend or make the money back for stuff that you purchased? There are some "upfront costs" that you will spend to get started doing shows but you can re-use them year after year like your table, table coverings, display fixtures, crafting tools, etc. I try to figure the cost of each item by looking at what goes into it. For example, if I am making a candy bar wrapper I take the cost of the candy bar, one sheet of paper and add a small amount for embellishments, ink, tape, etc. I triple that to find my starting price. If it is really involved I may charge more. If I can make them really quickly I may charge a bit less.

I have 1 item that I can sell lots of and it is really easy to make. That item is my "money maker". It sells year after year with minor tweaking and I can do lots of them in a short amount of time. I sell them for $1 and have only .25 into them. I build my inventory around that. Every year I make a bunch of new things that I have found online and enjoy doing. I keep the ones that sell well to make the following year. After a few years you end up with a pretty good idea of how much you will be able to sell and still have the luxury of making new stuff every year. The snowman candy wrapper is a good example of what is selling well for lots of women at the shows. You can find the wrapper here: snowman wrapper

The shows that you choose to do are really important too. I don't do the "fine art/craft" shows since my stuff would be out of place. I looks for shows that are well attended in the past with a large amount of exhibitors. People don't want to go to a small show with not much to choose from. Here in MI, the schools use the craft shows for fund raising so they are very well attended and advertised well. Talk to crafters to see what shows they do. If you hear the same show mentioned you can bet its a pretty good one. In MI there is a book that lists all the shows in the state with the number of booths, attendance and the contact info to get in. You can find that book here: MI Craft shows. Maybe your state has something similar. Google it to find out.

I hope this was helpful. Would love to hear what you decide to do and see pics of your stuff. Good Luck!

Linda