Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #3761
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampnsk8r View Post
what about doing magnets that would normally be in sets of 4 and selling them individually. Birthday tags or Christmas tags that are sold individually could be inexpensive. Hand stamped tea lights could be sold individually as well for 25˘. Mints that are packaged in sets of 4 could be sold individually. I wish you the best of luck with your school sale!
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am just going to sell what I have left over from my other two shows. I may let my 13 year old make some mints to sell, but only if we have the time. We have been busy with two funerals (Grandma and Uncle) so I lost a lot of crafting time. Good Luck to everyone still having shows before Christmas.
Judi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #3762
Inking Addict

I had my only show this season on Sunday at church. I made $200 after the table fee of $30. I sold almost everything I had except the M&M sticks. I was very surprised, I only sold 40 of them. Thanks to all you talented ladies for all the ideas.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #3763
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampnsk8r View Post
I haven't really been posting here because I really have been feeling a little crappy. over the last 4 weeks and 5 shows I've made less then I put out. Some shows there were 10% of sales...I made nothing. I found that the promoters were just not doing their job. One sale I was at she advertised for Sat and the event was Sun. There were no signs on the building that said Sorry, event is on Sun please come back tomorrow...all the street signs still said Sat on Sunday. Yesterday...the promoter put up 2 signs on the street and advertised to the 300 or so residents near by. I think we had 10 people come through...and they all bought something from me...bookmarks for $2. I have one more show this weekend...the 18th. I'm already not getting a good vibe on the promoting side.

My question to you is...what do you do to promote the event your attending? I've been FB posting, craigslist posting and pretty much telling everybody I know. Any other suggestions?
So sorry to hear about your shows/sales Lisa. To be honest I've not expended much effort in advertising my shows mainly because none of my friends/acquaintances are into buying handmade items and my craft fairs are never in my city. Thankfully the organizers of my shows do a really good job at promotion. I think you're doing a great job at advertising your venues!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #3764
Pearl-ExPert

Advertising for the craft sale is absolutely (IMHO) the job of the site, not the vendors. Of course you should tell people you know about your sales so they come, but you/we aren't the ones getting PAID to do this. The vendor site get money from us for the 'table fee' which should include advertising the sale. I guess in the future one could ask what advertising they will be doing for the sale, the ones I have attended pretty much have told me up front where they are advertising. But for the one where she put up signs for the wrong day, I think I'd ask for my money back on that one. Nobody is going to find the sale if they can't even get the day right on the signs/postings! That's insane. I pretty much know I would not go back to a site where they didn't advertise the sale - why bother?

MY GALLERY
Old 12-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #3765
Embossing Fanatic

Default Craft Fair Sales

My crafting group and I attended 4 craft fairs this season. Between them, our sales were just over $1000, taking out our registration fees. We used mostly retired DSP and cardstock to keep the cost of our items down. And when Walmart puts out their back to school stuff, we stock up on composition books at $0.50/each.

Our post it note holders (not on acrylic frames) sold out, as did our tea/chocolate holders. Our composition books sold ok, but not as good as in past years. We sold more cards this year then we have in the past 3 years combined. Also, lip balm holders went over okay - not a huge hit but we sold about 80% of what we made. 2 sets of 4 tile coasters, mini desk calendars, sour cream containers full of candy...it all went well.

We also mades some decorative items - framed pictures and such, that sold well. And if I could have made 500 bags of Grinch pills they would have sold out too - we made 50 altogether and each time they sold out in the first 2 hours.

We really enjoy craft fairs - although doing 4 in a row is a bit much. Have gotten a few additional ideas for next year from this site and look foward to working on stuff in 2012.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #3766
Matboard Maniac

I've been bummed by my craft fair sales too. It just seems that the number of people who come are limited, perhaps because of the lack of advertising on the part of the promoters, or they are looking for lesser priced items. My prices are $3 - $15 and I barely made the table fees at each show. Some people made quite a bit of $$ while others,,,,,, I guess there's no telling what people want. But it was a bummer for me. Makes me rethink next year.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #3767
Inking Addict

Default Craft fair Update

I am very pleased with my sales this year. I did 4 sales and made about $1000. Now I have to figure out what to do with my left overs like acrylic photo frame calendars w/post it and pen. I have 12 left. Made cute little coaster calendars with magnet on the back, have 10 left. Really cute. The magnet clothespins did not sell, neither did the coupon books made from clear mount stamp cases. And I invested money to make calendar, notepad and pen tins. The tin cost $5.00 all by itself. I was selling them for $15. Very beautiful, made 16 sold 8. I have already given gifts out so I guess I'll just eat the cost on these. I don't think I'll make reindeer poop or the snowmen next year. Nothing with tic tacs, although I sold the 21 I made this year. Some customers said, "oh you made these things last year". I did pick up 4 customers that want to come to SU workshops. YEAH! All is not lost. Merry Christmas to all!!! Maria
Old 12-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #3768
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinrealtor View Post
I am very pleased with my sales this year. I did 4 sales and made about $1000. Now I have to figure out what to do with my left overs like acrylic photo frame calendars w/post it and pen. I have 12 left. Made cute little coaster calendars with magnet on the back, have 10 left. Really cute. The magnet clothespins did not sell, neither did the coupon books made from clear mount stamp cases. And I invested money to make calendar, notepad and pen tins. The tin cost $5.00 all by itself. I was selling them for $15. Very beautiful, made 16 sold 8. I have already given gifts out so I guess I'll just eat the cost on these. I don't think I'll make reindeer poop or the snowmen next year. Nothing with tic tacs, although I sold the 21 I made this year. Some customers said, "oh you made these things last year". I did pick up 4 customers that want to come to SU workshops. YEAH! All is not lost. Merry Christmas to all!!! Maria
Sounds like you did well. Just keep the non-perishables and sell them next year. I usually eat the cost into my total for the current year, and next year whatever I get for them, I am happy. If you sold half the tins, you will sell the other half next year.
I didn't sell that many of my necklaces but I am just going to keep them for future sales.

People are funny. I didn't make tic tac kisses this year and I had people come to me looking for them again. I plan to make them next year again. I told people I try to change it up a bit each year.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #3769
Rubber Obsessor

This was my first year for Craft fairs this year and I wasnt planning on doing them but alot of people saw my work on my facebook page and asked me to attend some fairs. So I really was not prepared at all. I had very little stuff to sell but wish I had more. I averaged about $200 in sales at every table I did. Which to me is fantastic I didnt even know that I had $200 in stuff. This year I am planning on making stuff through out the the year so I actually have stuff to sell.

My lip balm purses sold like crazy, I am wondering what I can do for a boy as an equivalent? Like maybe a train instead of a purse? But what to put in it? Any ideas ladies? You all have been so inspirational for me in the last couple month (even though I usually just read the posts)
Old 12-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #3770
Rubber Obsessor

People are funny. I didn't make tic tac kisses this year and I had people come to me looking for them again. I plan to make them next year again. I told people I try to change it up a bit each year.[/QUOTE]

I had made a boat load of the candy stix things last year and kept back the ones I didn't sell. I didn't put any out at my last show and wouldn't you know it I had a lady ask me where was the candy stixs I made last year. I was lucky I took them and she bought 10 of them!! .It was really just funny because I seldom if ever keep candy around that long-glad I did. However grandkids will get to enjoy whats left
Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #3771
Rubber Obsessor

I would have loved to do candy stix but could not find the bags for them. I do know now that SU sells them. But didnt have time to order. Anywhere else sell them?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #3772
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to paris062

sorry i haven't posted in quite some time. came down with pneumonia right after my last show which was Dec 3rd and have been sick ever since. I did 3 shows this year plus took things to my workplace and I made roughly $1200 total. The first 2 shows were not good at all so I am definitely dropping the one that was too early in my opinion (10/22). The second one was one I did well at the last 2 years but this year was about half what I did last year. My last show was a huge success and weather had a lot to do with it. It was about 50 degrees and sunny so customers were shopping! The show started at 8AM. I made about 50 snowman candy bars and sold out by 12:30!!!!!! Grinch pills were another big hit along with the jumbo clothespins. I made 15 new clothespins to go along with some other ones I had left over from last year and I only have 3 left total. I like to mix things up with my stocking stuffer items so that I don't have the same thing every year but the Grinch pills are always a big seller. This year I did hot cocoa packets which did ok (better after I mentioned you could tuck a gift card inside). Kerry's Paper Crafts (Kerry's Paper Crafts) has a great tutorial for these. Easy and so cute! Also did snowman kisses and reindeer poop. A few staples I make and sell every year are the acrylic post-it note holders, gift card holders, clothespins, candles and tile coasters. Sold all my sets of tile coasters this year too! This winter is definitely going to be hibernating and restock for next year. If anyone has any questions on pricing or wants specifics on something, please let me know. I am always willing to share. Everyone has such great ideas!

Happy Holidays to all!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #3773
Rubber Obsessor

Jenny - great idea to make a train instead of a purse for boys. So many people look for items for boys and it will increase sales to offer more boy-themed items. $200 in sales per table is great!
Old 12-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #3774
Inking Addict

Default Lip Balm purses

I didn't know how my lip balm purses were going to do so I only made 14. The minute I put them out, I sold 6 to one person! I was thinking of doing something for boys as well. A few years ago I found some boy scout/camping items at the Target dollar spot. I bought match kits and a first aid splinter/ removal kits. I also found a template for making a bookbag/backpack. I will have to find it again. But I think those camping items will look good in a paper backpack. I will have to charge more for these than the lip balm purses. What do you think?

Thanks, Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by card_creations View Post
This was my first year for Craft fairs this year and I wasnt planning on doing them but alot of people saw my work on my facebook page and asked me to attend some fairs. So I really was not prepared at all. I had very little stuff to sell but wish I had more. I averaged about $200 in sales at every table I did. Which to me is fantastic I didnt even know that I had $200 in stuff. This year I am planning on making stuff through out the the year so I actually have stuff to sell.

My lip balm purses sold like crazy, I am wondering what I can do for a boy as an equivalent? Like maybe a train instead of a purse? But what to put in it? Any ideas ladies? You all have been so inspirational for me in the last couple month (even though I usually just read the posts)
Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #3775
Rubber Obsessor

I think backpacks woudl be great for boys Camping woudl be good for boys that camp... and something video games related, and hmmm... now my head is spinning
Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #3776
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by card_creations View Post
I would have loved to do candy stix but could not find the bags for them. I do know now that SU sells them. But didnt have time to order. Anywhere else sell them?
I made over 300 candy m&m stix this year and almost 300 chocolate bar snowmen. They sold out at my 3rd show but I didn't make any more for my last show. I didn't want leftovers.

You can buy the bags for the candy stix at Clearbags or GT Bags online. They are 1 x 8 size bags. I bought 1000 this year because I also used 100 for my beaded pens.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #3777
Matboard Maniac

Maria, I think the back pack ideas for boys would be great.
how much did you sell your lip balm purses for?
Old 12-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #3778
Rubber Obsessor

my lip balm purses including lip balm, are $3.00 each or 2 for $5 and mine fly like crazy.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #3779
Pearl-ExPert

Did everyone have a good holiday?????? Mine was great and busy. Now I need to clean my craft room because it looks like it exploded!

My plan, and yes this year I AM doing this, is to do a craft sale project each month. So I am not going crazy in the fall trying to do the ones I do. I'd also like to do a Christmas/birthday gift each month too so I am ahead of the game. But who knows if this will work.

Some things (like food) I can't do too early but I can have the toppers ready to go.

I sold lip balm purses, candy bags (MM sticks, peppermint patty packs as well as other candy items), gift card holders, calendars, notebooks, tags, coasters, and other items that I cannot remember right now (but are in my notebook at home!). So maybe one item a month.

Maybe I will start with gift tags - or gift card holders.

My family and friends will drop over with surprise if I hold to this schedule! I am such a last minute crafter. But I'm a grandma now and grandbaby (toddler really and quite adorable I may say) doesn't always cooperate when I am doing last minute things. And I'm getting way too old to stay up to 3-4 in the morning getting my crafting done. I can do it once in a while, but not too often!

Happy holidays and a happy new year to all of you. And thanks for all of your ideas and inspirations and comments - the comments really mean a lot to me and without your ideas I'd be nowhere!

MY GALLERY
Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #3780
Embossing Fanatic

The good thing about making these things in advance is how well they store before adding the "product" like lip balm or candy. They will store so flat!

Old 12-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #3781
Inking Addict

I had a pretty good one-day sale this year. I wanted to do more sales, but didn't feel I had enough product to make it profitable. So this year I am going to follow Mary's idea and try to make one project every month. There are so many things that can be done in advance, it is just a matter of getting to it. There are so many neat ideas here and I am determined to get with it and be ready in plenty of time this coming year. Wish me luck!
Old 12-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #3782
Rubber Obsessor

I had plenty of stuff made for my sales, but too much leftovers. On December 20, at the last minute (8:00am for a 9:00am starting time) I joined a sale at a local private school. The kids bought stuff for their parents and siblings. It was perfect for selling off all my candy items. I sold things cheap, but I still covered my costs, so I didn't lose any money. It was a great way to clear out my perishable items. I made about $150.00 in two hours.
Next year I just need to find more shows! Thanks for all the great ideas on this forum. I made a Hershey snowman with a fancy girl hat (sorry no picture) that I plan to make tons of next year. I only had enough trim for three this year, but everyone one who saw them wanted one. Unfortunately they weren't for sale.
I am officially addicted to craft sales. Thanks ladies!
Judi
Old 12-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #3783
Rubber Obsessor

Merry belated holiday greetings to everyone !! - I did 6 shows between november and early december and made about 1500. after expenses - about the same as last year - I also keep a special diary (only craft shows) where I make notes as to the show, pros and cons and whether I'll do it again next year - my other diary (craft items) is my Bible - I put everything I need for each craft project I sell - supplies, sizes, where to buy, etc. - I also add thoughts on changes I make, how to improve the item, etc. - this has saved me often because I make stuff all year (in large numbers) and often forget sizes, where to buy stuff...esp. if it's been months since I them - jan. and feb. are my 'development months' where I add new things and tweak the creating process - keep a journal on your items and shows...might help avoiding the bad shows and items that don't sell...hope 2012 will be our best year...Happy New Year
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #3784
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjudi View Post
I had plenty of stuff made for my sales, but too much leftovers. On December 20, at the last minute (8:00am for a 9:00am starting time) I joined a sale at a local private school. The kids bought stuff for their parents and siblings. It was perfect for selling off all my candy items. I sold things cheap, but I still covered my costs, so I didn't lose any money. It was a great way to clear out my perishable items. I made about $150.00 in two hours.
Next year I just need to find more shows! Thanks for all the great ideas on this forum. I made a Hershey snowman with a fancy girl hat (sorry no picture) that I plan to make tons of next year. I only had enough trim for three this year, but everyone one who saw them wanted one. Unfortunately they weren't for sale.
I am officially addicted to craft sales. Thanks ladies!
Judi
What did you put on your snowgirls??
I make some with pink flannel designs and every year, they sell out first. Pink is #1 seller and brown is #2 usually.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #3785
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
Did everyone have a good holiday?????? Mine was great and busy. Now I need to clean my craft room because it looks like it exploded!

My plan, and yes this year I AM doing this, is to do a craft sale project each month. So I am not going crazy in the fall trying to do the ones I do. I'd also like to do a Christmas/birthday gift each month too so I am ahead of the game. But who knows if this will work.
I was able to start my crafting in July this year, and it made my fall so much easier. Not only did I know what I was going to make, but it helped me to be able to search around for good deals on supplies.

I also now have a pattern of buying all the xmas themed items in December and January. My crafting area is still a mess because I have been glitter gluing alot of the cute tags and things I am modifying. This way, when I pull them out to use, they will be completely ready. Details like this really do make a difference.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #3786
Rubber Obsessor

Does anyone know where I can get some good patterns for felt ??? I know alot of the scrapbooking items are good for such a craft but I would like some felted ideas?? I've seen a zillion ideas on Pintrest but very few offer patterns,

Also does anyone know a good source for buying decorative buttons?? I want some with some detail on them but not overly expensive since I'll be using them on my felt pins. I did pick some good buttons up at a scrapbook store yesterday but still not what I wanted.

Thanks for any help
Old 12-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #3787
Rubber Obsessor

Default Buttons

I will second the request for a good source of cheap buttons. I am after the 'old' style with pearls.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #3788
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancincz View Post
Merry belated holiday greetings to everyone !! - I did 6 shows between november and early december and made about 1500. after expenses - about the same as last year - I also keep a special diary (only craft shows) where I make notes as to the show, pros and cons and whether I'll do it again next year - my other diary (craft items) is my Bible - I put everything I need for each craft project I sell - supplies, sizes, where to buy, etc. - I also add thoughts on changes I make, how to improve the item, etc. - this has saved me often because I make stuff all year (in large numbers) and often forget sizes, where to buy stuff...esp. if it's been months since I them - jan. and feb. are my 'development months' where I add new things and tweak the creating process - keep a journal on your items and shows...might help avoiding the bad shows and items that don't sell...hope 2012 will be our best year...Happy New Year

I started a craft journal this year too, and it helped a lot and I hope it will help next year too. I had three sales and was very good about writing in it for the first two, but not so good on the third, but still got it all in. I kept a tally of what I had and sold at each event, but that kind of went to the wayside by the last one. But still enough info to help me next year.

I also put in there the posting number from this thread and the other 'old' thread of ideas and links so if I lose the website I can find it fast that way - searching on here is hit and miss!

I'm also going to add pictures of ideas that I liked and things I did and/or want to try.

I have one for Christmas ideas and presents too, but for the life of me I refer to it but never update it. Not one gift I made/gave this year is in the book - so I have lots of work to do on that one. Otherwise I will duplicate gifts and I hate doing that.

And for you looking for buttons, try Goodwill and stores like that - they sometimes have ones that people drop off. Or knock on the oldest ladies door that you know in the neighborhood and ask to see her button jar. That's how I've gotten most of mine (well from grandmas in my family not by disturbing strangers - but we know they have jars of them!). If you have a Freecycle site in your area, post a wanted ad on it - you never know someone may have buttons (or whatevers) to get rid of!

MY GALLERY
Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #3789
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisydilly View Post
Also does anyone know a good source for buying decorative buttons?? I want some with some detail on them but not overly expensive since I'll be using them on my felt pins. I did pick some good buttons up at a scrapbook store yesterday but still not what I wanted.

Thanks for any help
I would love to be able to find some of the buttons with little animals, bugs and butterflies on them for cheap. I am tired of the same old styles available at Michaels...same ones at Joanns and Walmart too. And they are sooo expensive! I mean ..really..they probably cost pennies to make.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #3790
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

This website has tons of buttons and for what I think is a very reasonable price compared to craft stores.

BUTTONS Search -- CreateForLess

MY JEWELRY: http://www.creativeeclectica.com/

210(200)(189) and counting...DOWN
Old 12-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #3791
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaddict View Post
This website has tons of buttons and for what I think is a very reasonable price compared to craft stores.

Thanks for sending this link!!! Just saw some white buttons that I could gltter. I bought some at the scrapbook store and they cost a bit more than the list price here!!

I use to buy from a catalog that I got thru the mail but for the life of me I can't recall the name of it!!

Just got a new sewing machine so I may have found a new craft ( like quilting or some other sewing craft) Now I really need to learn to use it properly
Old 12-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #3792
Matboard Maniac

Home-Sew carries buttons and ribbons and other fun things that can be used for crafting as well as sewing.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #3793
Matboard Maniac

I love to know prices of the good sellers.
stampinrealtor--how much were your gift card holders (purses and trains)?
paris062--how much were your snowman hershey bars?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #3794
Embossing Fanatic

My snowmen hershey bars were priced at $3 or 2/$5. People bought a 2nd one when I reminded them it was cheaper per gift to buy 2.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #3795
Embossing Fanatic

I was at an alterations store the other day and they had a box of buttons for sale by the button. That's a place to check out!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #3796
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaddict View Post

This is pretty reasonable, but it is the shipping costs that make the prices not as good. I will buy from places first that offer free shipping, or "actual cost" shipping.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #3797
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to paris062

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlynne View Post
I love to know prices of the good sellers.
stampinrealtor--how much were your gift card holders (purses and trains)?
paris062--how much were your snowman hershey bars?
Hi! I sold my snowman candy bars for $3 ea.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #3798
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
What did you put on your snowgirls??
I make some with pink flannel designs and every year, they sell out first. Pink is #1 seller and brown is #2 usually.
I made a hat with a brim out of the leftover cuff part of stretch gloves. I had cut the fingers off of the gloves to use for the hats on Hershey Nuggets. I added fluffy, glittery trim. Sorry, I didn't get a picture of them.
Judi
Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #3799
Polyshrink Goddess

I would love to see anyone's train holders!

Also I wanted to add that M's has a wire rack, PERFECT for hanging cards for sale on (similar to Clip it up-or whatever it is called) Reular price is $29.99 but this week 50% off. I will add however that all of the M's around me carry them. I just happened to be in one and saw it! I didnt see thta they sold extra hooks, but I bought hooks from IKEA ahile back that fit perfectly!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #3800
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh I also wanted to add.....My children took the left over coaster calendar magnets I had from this year for gifts for teachers at school. Also some tic tac holders and a few other little things that I didnt want to store until next year. They went back for the first time today, and can I tell you how many notes I got from the teachers?? They all LOVED the calendars (including the male teachers) and most of the women loved the tic tac holders. Also my daughter taught her Girl Scout troop how to make candy trains from a roll of breath mints, rolos and hershey kisses. The girls loved them and she enjoyed being a "teacher" for a change (she is 8.) In addition she took each girl a snowman soup. Such a inexpensive gift, and she proudly told them she made them all, so it was a win-win!