Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #3121
AOK
Rubber Obsessor

Linda,
I really feel for you.
I had my only craft fair weekend cancelled last year due to bad weather at the very last minute. Initially I was very frustrated having all the hard work completed and nowhere to go to sell. However after my initial disappointment I decided not to give up. I rang around friends and family, googled all the other markets in the area and made a few phone calls. A friend came up trumps in the end. She secured a place for me at her work Christmas fair. I ended up making more money in one day from 10 to 2 in a location 5 mins from my home than I would have made in two days of 10 to 5at the original fair an hours drive from my home.

I had a great day with great company and this year I have been invited back for two days free of charge. So my initial disappointment turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Hopefully this will turn out the same for you. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you. Perhaps some readers of this post may have suggestions of other venues in your area you may try.

My Blog :http://aokspaperstuff.blogspot.com/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #3122
Rubber Obsessor

Had a record breaking day, for me at least, made $81! Can't wait til I make triple digits at a show! I got 2 custom orders for 15 Christmas themed Mini Hand Bacterial Soap Holders, 2 pencil holders, and 6 pumpkin treat boxes. I have to have the Pumpkin treat boxes and pencil holders done by Monday!

Here is what I sold (not including the custom orders):
8- Halloween pencil boxes
3- Magnet Boards
5- Small Reindeer Triangle Boxes
1- Large Reindeer Triangle Box
1- Small Penguin Triangle Box
3- Large Turkey Triangle Boxes
4- Pumpkin Mini Hand Bacterial Soap Holders
2- Cupcake Gift Card holders
3- Turkey M&M sticks
2- Tooth Fairy Tin
1- Spiral Notepad

My next show is a home show here at my house on November 15. I'm hoping for a good turnout. After that my next show is December 3 and then I'm done until the spring, unless I have another home show for Valentine's Day and Easter themed items.

Altered by Jenn
Old 10-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #3123
Rubber Obsessor

Here's what my turkey boxes looked like

Altered by Jenn
Old 10-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #3124
Glitter Queen

I am making some Santa gift bags for my upcoming fair and I need some advice on Velcro. I have been trying to use the strips, but it's kinda hard to open the bags and I'm afraid that the bag is going to tear trying to get the silly Velcro apart. Is there another type of Velcro that works better and if so where is the best place to get it?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #3125
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancystamps View Post
I really hate it when an organization hosts what they call a "craft show" or "holiday boutique", charge crafters a big sum of money to come and sell their goods, and then piggyback other fundraisers on top of that. It is not fair to the crafters. If you want a bake sale, then just call it that, but if it's a craft show, then don't have the PTA doing fundraisers for class trips. I'm glad you got your money back, but sorry you're out a show. Hopefully you will find another better one in the coming weeks.
My church has added crafts to their big bake sale this year. I am glad, because they get a lot of people into the hall for their sale. I am part of the group doing the bake sale, but it wasn't my idea to add crafts. But I am going to buy a table because they are really cheap- $10.00 for an 8 foot table for 2 days. We have five services, so it is a lot of people. I hope is is a big hit. All of our crafters are from our church, so they know what to expect.

On the down side, I did my first craft fair at a local township Rec/Ed center. They also have a big bake sale and a free kids fun day. The fee was $20.00 for two days, bring my own table. The seniors were the first day, and I did okay. But the family fun day was a bust. I had all kinds of Halloween treats for kids, and everyone expected them to be free. I blame the organizers who pushed the "tons of kids the second day" angle to the vendors, and the "free kids activities and prizes" to the families. I only made about $100.00 for 2 days after the table fee. I was happy I didn't lose money!
Judi
Old 10-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #3126
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyJennie View Post
I just got back from the mall and they had them by me in SE Wisc There were lots of Halloween ones but I got 20 in a strawberry flavor in a red bottle that will be perfect for Christmas crafting. Thanks again for the info!!!
Happy to help. It is nice to be able to give back since I have gotten so many wonderful ideas from everyone here. My 1st show this year is next weekend...then 2 more back to back. I'm taking a few items that I found on this forum. Can't wait to see how it all turns out. Thanks to everyone here for all of your wonderful ideas and helpful attitudes!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #3127
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisydilly View Post
Okay messed up on the last post!!

Just wanted to say those are awesome necklaces. What exactly do you use to make the images??
A bit of this and that! LOL
Honestly..it depends. Some are rubber stamped and/or coloured images, some are printed graphics, some are magazine images cut and pasted in different ways. I am always looking for images.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:51 PM   #3128
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by croppixie View Post
I decided to make some Poop after reading you all are having good luck with them. I know making something good and quick is not easy so I made another print sheet for everyone to use. Hope you like it.
Click here to get the print sheet Freebies - *Whimsie Doodles

these?
Oh my goodness - these are so cute!
Can I please ask you to pretty please post the jpeg? I don't have Winzip.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #3129
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaslom4 View Post
I am making some Santa gift bags for my upcoming fair and I need some advice on Velcro. I have been trying to use the strips, but it's kinda hard to open the bags and I'm afraid that the bag is going to tear trying to get the silly Velcro apart. Is there another type of Velcro that works better and if so where is the best place to get it?

Make sure its not industrial strength or heavy duty - cause that sticks more.

I use regular lightweight velcro strips but it gums up my scissors (but wet wipes gets that clean). But WalMart (and other stores) have velcro pieces that are small and can be used for these papercraft things. Michael's may have them too. The ones I found at WalMart are triangle in shape or oval, I can't remember now.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #3130
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn21404 View Post
Had a record breaking day, for me at least, made $81! Can't wait til I make triple digits at a show! I got 2 custom orders for 15 Christmas themed Mini Hand Bacterial Soap Holders, 2 pencil holders, and 6 pumpkin treat boxes. I have to have the Pumpkin treat boxes and pencil holders done by Monday!

Here is what I sold (not including the custom orders):
8- Halloween pencil boxes
3- Magnet Boards
5- Small Reindeer Triangle Boxes
1- Large Reindeer Triangle Box
1- Small Penguin Triangle Box
3- Large Turkey Triangle Boxes
4- Pumpkin Mini Hand Bacterial Soap Holders
2- Cupcake Gift Card holders
3- Turkey M&M sticks
2- Tooth Fairy Tin
1- Spiral Notepad

My next show is a home show here at my house on November 15. I'm hoping for a good turnout. After that my next show is December 3 and then I'm done until the spring, unless I have another home show for Valentine's Day and Easter themed items.
Good for you!!!

MY GALLERY
Old 10-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #3131
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjudi View Post
My church has added crafts to their big bake sale this year. I am glad, because they get a lot of people into the hall for their sale. I am part of the group doing the bake sale, but it wasn't my idea to add crafts. But I am going to buy a table because they are really cheap- $10.00 for an 8 foot table for 2 days. We have five services, so it is a lot of people. I hope is is a big hit. All of our crafters are from our church, so they know what to expect.

On the down side, I did my first craft fair at a local township Rec/Ed center. They also have a big bake sale and a free kids fun day. The fee was $20.00 for two days, bring my own table. The seniors were the first day, and I did okay. But the family fun day was a bust. I had all kinds of Halloween treats for kids, and everyone expected them to be free. I blame the organizers who pushed the "tons of kids the second day" angle to the vendors, and the "free kids activities and prizes" to the families. I only made about $100.00 for 2 days after the table fee. I was happy I didn't lose money!
Judi

I did a sale one year at our local college - it was a winter fun night. Everything was free, and then there was us. But they had to walk through the craft fair to get to the free stuff. People were just shocked to find all the free craft items! Ha ha on them. And then super disappointed that they couldn't just take the stuff. Made nothing that night and haven't gone back. But they did apologize for that, it was the first year they added the craft sale to the night and after that, they changed it around so it was clear that there was a craft sale (not free) and you didn't have to walk through it to get to the free stuff.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #3132
Pearl-ExPert

I guess craft sales will always surprise you. I had a fantastic sale last week, and a site I've never been to before. Today, I went back to a site where I was at last year and did amazing at. Today, not so much. It was just dead inside the hall most of the day. I still made about $150 but I was really expecting (only because of last year's sales) to do much better. Oh well. You never know!

There were two other paper crafters there too, which I don't run ito much, but we all had different things. They had more cards (I didn't do them for the sale). I did buy from one of them - her items were amazing (mine were cute, hers were gorgeous!).

Got lots and lots of 'how cute' comments on everything. So I was rich with comments!

Gift card holders and the lip balm purses were a big hit with everyone Especially since the lip balm (from Frenchie's video) can hold a gift card too.

Sold lots of the snowmen candy bars, but I thought i'd sell more. Lots of lookers at them though.

Not many of the MM sticks and peppermint patty bags. But I didn't bundle this year.

I have one more sale to do so the good news is I don't have to replenish anything. Although I will add things to the table. This last sale, I don't keep the money, it all goes to a foundation set up in memory of my niece - a scholarship to our local community college for nursing program. She benefited so much from nursing care during her life that her family and friends wanted to start this up. That sale always rocks so I'm looking forward to scoring big time there!

I did post some pictures of my table and items in my gallery if you would like to peek.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #3133
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
I did post some pictures of my table and items in my gallery if you would like to peek.
Your items were very nice.
how much did you end up charging for your lip balm purses? They turned out very cute.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #3134
Crimping Master

Quote:
You can also "remove" some of the strength of the velcro by cutting off some of the fuzzy side. Since there isn't as much for the loops to stick to, it makes it easier to open.

Not sure I explained that very well....but HTH!
Old 10-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #3135
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Someone here suggested using thin velcro on the lip balm purses we were all excited about. I tried the regular velcro because I could not find the thin and it was not suitable...too bulky and didn't look right. I started looking for thin velcro and finally found some at Walmart. It is clear/transparent and comes in a blue /yellow pkg, with a clear blister pack top. It was hanging on a peg in the adhesive section of their craft/sewing aisle. They had two styles, 1 is a pkg of 10 sets (upper left corner of pkg.) and is in strips 3 1/2 inches long, and the other is 18" tape (upper left corner). It does NOT say sticky back, but it is. I just cut a small amt of the strip, then cut that in half, and put it on the purse and it is perfect! I think the original person said they found it at JoAnn's, but we don't have one here and our fabric store did not have it, neither did Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I'm not saying they don't carry it, some stores may, but ours did not have it here. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2011, 05:45 AM   #3136
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Yahoo to blueslady

Quote:
Your stuff is adorable!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #3137
Rubber Obsessor

There is a type of Velcro called poster velcro and I love it. It seems to be just the right strength for paper items, holding them together without tearing. I find it at Home Depot.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #3138
Glitter Queen

Thanks everyone for the help on the Velcro. I will run to Walmart and JoAnn's and see if I can find the thinner kind. I was having the same issue of it just looking to bulky and not closing very flat. My show is in a couple of weeks, so I am at the point where the little things are starting to stress me out! lol
Old 10-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #3139
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneo View Post
There is a type of Velcro called poster velcro and I love it. It seems to be just the right strength for paper items, holding them together without tearing. I find it at Home Depot.
Can I ask which section at Home Depot I might find this poster velcro?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #3140
Gabfest Goddess

I looked for the thin velcro at 5 different places - and finally found it at a local independent craft store - $4.99 for 24 - and I think I can cut them apart for the purses - they are made by The Craft Collection (they make Tombow) They are called Fastener Tabs.

I wanted to wish everyone with sales this weekend the best of luck.

I am another one who can't open up the snowman wrappers.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #3141
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
I use the sticky backed magnet instead of velcro. It holds things shut but you don"t have to fight with it to get things open.

My Gallery
Old 10-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #3142
Kookie Creator

Does anyone have a tutorial for a holder for the little hand sanitizers that have been mentioned?
Old 10-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #3143
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by candylou View Post
Does anyone have a tutorial for a holder for the little hand sanitizers that have been mentioned?
Here's where I learned to make some: Erica Cerwin's blog
Old 10-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #3144
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Stampin'Up! Demonstrator Stamping Videos Stamp Workshop Classes Scissor Charms Paper Crafts She has several on this sight.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #3145
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I made my own in Make The Cut following the dimensions on some of the tutorials.

Altered by Jenn
Old 10-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #3146
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcountry311 View Post
does anyone have the poem for elf pillows? thanks
anyone? i want to make these for family stocking stuffers thanks
Old 10-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #3147
Linking Queen

Gayla ... these were the best links I found when I did a quick web search. Hope they help:

elf pillow poam - Bing

Christmas Elf Poop Poem and Bag Tag - Printable Elf Poop Poem
Old 10-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #3148
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks tina! you can find anything!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #3149
Linking Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcountry311 View Post
thanks tina! you can find anything!

You're welcome ... I just like looking for answers (and procrastinating doing chores )
Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #3150
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueslady View Post
Your stuff is adorable!
Thanks!!

MY GALLERY
Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #3151
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Your items were very nice.
how much did you end up charging for your lip balm purses? They turned out very cute.

Thanks! I charged $2.50 - and I sold a bunch of them. I also pointed out that a gift card fits in there - in the folds - and had a used up one to show them. Lots bought it because it was dual purpose purse!!!

But then one just debated with me if she could actually use it every day as a lip balm holder - I didn't really get it - I said, well no, I guess you wouldn't carry it around for your lip balm but I didn't think that was really the intent. She didn't buy it.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-31-2011, 02:37 AM   #3152
Crimping Master

Quote:

But then one just debated with me if she could actually use it every day as a lip balm holder - I didn't really get it
It's not you....Non-crafty people just don't "get it" sometimes! I have friends that refuse to eat/use some of the things that I make because they say it's too cute to use!

SMH!
Beth
Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 AM   #3153
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
A bit of this and that! LOL
Honestly..it depends. Some are rubber stamped and/or coloured images, some are printed graphics, some are magazine images cut and pasted in different ways. I am always looking for images.
I certainly would never have thought of magazine images!! How do the colored and stamped images hold up under the glaze?? I bought several sheets of printed things off ETSY and I think they will do great but really needing some new ideas. Thanks for sharing
Old 10-31-2011, 07:46 AM   #3154
Pearl-ExPert

@mrussmom, looked at your gallery - your stuff is awesome! Especially loved your angry birds bookmark!! I'd been thinking of what could I package as angry birds but didn't come up with anything.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #3155
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Craft Fair Results

Yeah, I survived my first craft fair! I took in $639.20 and my booth fee was $60. My biggest hit was the Snowman Wrapped Hershey bars. Here are my tallies:

Santa's Face greeting cards $5: made 13; sold 4
Halloween Owl greeting cards $5: made 12; sold none
Magic Reindeer Food (test tubes) $3.50: made 54; sold 12
Snowman Kisses (Tic Tac) $3.50: made 31; sold 18
Post-It Note w/mini gel pen $3.50: made 37; sold 25
Hey, Little Turkey Mint Favors $1.75: made 30; sold 30
Magnetic Coaster Calendars $3.50: made 50; sold 6
Pumpkin Tootsie Pops $1: made 40; sold 12
Goblin Greetings Tic Tac $3.50: made 10; sold 5
Tooth Fairy Boxes $5: made 24; sold 3
Rudolph Spares $5: made 30; sold 9
Snowman Hershey Bars $3: made 72; sold 56
Journals (large- composition book) w/matching pens $7: made 4; sold none
Journals (med) $5: mad 3; sold 1
Journals (small) $2: made 5; sold 2
Clear Stamp Case Shopping List $6: made 4; sold 3
Halloween Chocolate Coins 50 cents: made 76; sold 28
Spinner cards $5: made 4; sold 2
Also sold a few assorted greeting cards at $4 each. I didn't keep count, but sold 10-15.

I'm donating the leftover Halloween Tootsie Pops and chocolate coins to the Fall Festival at our church this evening. And, I guess I'll be giving 2012 magnetic calendars to everyone I know.

Thanks again for all the help you gals have given me. Your kind generosity is wonderful.
Hugs, Pam
Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #3156
Rubber Obsessor

Congrats, Pam that is awesome!!! Just wondering, were the snowman hershey bars the large bars?
Old 10-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #3157
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelak View Post
Yeah, I survived my first craft fair! I took in $639.20 and my booth fee was $60. My biggest hit was the Snowman Wrapped Hershey bars. Here are my tallies:

Hugs, Pam
Congratulations, Pam! I hope I do as well. My sale is this Saturday and I have a TON of personal things to do this week so that means hardly any time for crafting. I'll probably be up until 2:00am (like some people-wink wink) getting things done.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:56 PM   #3158
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyspencer View Post
Congrats, Pam that is awesome!!! Just wondering, were the snowman hershey bars the large bars?

I used 36 regular Hershey bars and 36 with almonds. All the plain ones sold; the 16 I had leftover were the ones with almonds.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #3159
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2girl View Post
Congratulations, Pam! I hope I do as well. My sale is this Saturday and I have a TON of personal things to do this week so that means hardly any time for crafting. I'll probably be up until 2:00am (like some people-wink wink) getting things done.
Thanks! I hope you do, too. I'll message you when it's time to go to bed. (Were you stalking me!?!)
Old 10-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #3160
Matboard Maniac

Pam, thank you for giving us a 'heads up'. You did soooo good. Congrats.