Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #2481
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelak View Post
I'm not sure if it was on this forum, but someone mentioned that instead of glitter she uses red jimmies in her reindeer food so that it will be safe for birds and wildlife that night consume it. I'm wondering if she changed the poem since her formula would sparkle in the moonlight. Hope someone has the answer or can point me in the right direction. Thanks again. Pam
never thought about that! my kids have made it in school almost every year! hope we didn't harm too many birds!

sugar is a great idea!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #2482
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
Pam, I used the colored sugar, like on top of sugar cookies. Still food safe, it looks sparkly and with some imagination you could see it sparkle in the moonlight.

For the toppers question, I am wondering if you staple the base into the bags, and then layer a piece of Cardstock over the staples if you don't want them to show. But I also like the colored staples idea.
I'm beginning to think I should just forget about craft fairs. I'm messing everything up. Perhaps, I should just buy some red suger to add to what I already have and then I'll be good to go. Only drawback is that I've filled 26 test tubes already. Sign!

Regarding the toppers, the first one I made, I did just that but I wasn't happy that the staples left little bumps on the back. That's when I decided to staple the bag then use Sticky Strip tape to add the toppers, so I went ahead an decorated and assembled the toppers. As I posted earlier, I then realized that using Sticky Strip was going to get expensive. Now I wish I had gone with my original plan because looking back at that first one, it's not bad at all. Unfortunately, I've gone too far in the assembly to revert to that method. I'm so bummer about this. I'd hate to think about starting over.

Now I'm thinking coloring staples isn't a good plan for me either since my top layer is white with the work "Notes" printed on. I've attached a photo of one I did with sticky strip along with one of the toppers that is ready to go on the bag.
Attached Thumbnails
postitnoteholder.jpg  

Last edited by pamelak; 09-16-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Old 09-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #2483
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to NancyL2648

What about using glue dots...use the 40% off coupon from Michaels this would bring the cost down a bit.
I make dog treats in a ziplock lunch baggie with a topper. I fold the baggie to how I want it ...staple it, then use a topper and attach to the baggie with glue dots. Works for me.

Quote:
I'm beginning to think I should just forget about craft fairs. I'm messing everything up. Perhaps, I should just buy some red suger to add to what I already have and then I'll be good to go. Only drawback is that I've filled 26 test tubes already. Sign!

Regarding the toppers, the first one I made, I did just that but I wasn't happy that the staples left little bumps on the back. That's when I decided to staple the bag then use Sticky Strip tape to add the toppers, so I went ahead an decorated and assembled the toppers. As I posted earlier, I then realized that using Sticky Strip was going to get expensive. Now I wish I had gone with my original plan because looking back at that first one, it's not bad at all. Unfortunately, I've gone too far in the assembly to revert to that method. I'm so bummer about this. I'd hate to think about starting over.

Now I'm thinking coloring staples isn't a good plan for me either since my top layer is white with the work "Notes" printed on. I've attached a photo of one I did with sticky strip along with one of the toppers that is ready to go on the bag.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:44 AM   #2484
AOK
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Pam don't give up. They look lovely. Nancy's idea of the glue dots is a good one. Maybe try that. Also if you have a glue gun that may work too. I only have a cool glue gun and I have been using it this morning on something else but it is so easy and it uses up so little glue. Maybe that would work too.

My Blog :http://aokspaperstuff.blogspot.com/
Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #2485
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Nancy and Anne. I'll try glue dots. Blessings, Pam
Old 09-17-2011, 05:54 AM   #2486
Watercolor Wizard

Pamela, don't be discouraged. Your post it notes are very cute, and I like your topper a lot.

I personally think they would look quite all right if you used a red colored staple on each corner on the front, diagonally. You can use a red Sharpie to color the staples if you can't buy them. I used that method on some toppers I did for a craft fair. I didn't staple my bags first, just folded the topper and stapled the whole thing at once, which closed the bag and attached the topper.

Believe me, the people who attend craft fairs will not notice a little bump on the back of the topper, lol.

No one is as critical of our work as we are.

I think there are two types of people who attend craft fairs. Other crafters attend, to get ideas. Mostly these people don't buy, unless they want only one, so they can see how to make whatever it is.

The other people come to a craft fair because they like original, handmade items, and don't know how to make things. They are the ones who will love your cute little post it notes, and will buy them.

Here is a link to my craft fair display from a year or so ago. The post it note holders I made didn't even have toppers, lol. I just put them in small jewelry bags from Hobby Lobby, folded them to size on the back, and taped them with invisible tape. I sold every one on the table.

Craft fair items by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 09-17-2011 at 05:59 AM..
Old 09-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #2487
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Pam - try not to worry and over think things. I don't think the staple will make or break a sale. Your project is very cute, that will attract them to your item/table.
So just go forward, lesson learned on the staples.
As others have said here, I try to hide my staple under the next layer. If I can't (or forget which is most of the time!) I try to staple as close to a layer as I can so its bumped up to it and kind of hidden. I've never colored or used color staples but that's a good idea too. And if I'm really paying attention I staple so the bumpy back is on the front of my project if I'm hiding it under a layer. That way I don't have any prongs on the back since they don't always close right and can be poky.
I used tape too (sticky) and it held nice but its more time and more money. If you want to go that route, use the double stick tape that Scotch makes, Its not too expensive, way cheaper than some of the other tape, and it holds really nice.
Good luck on your sales!!

MY GALLERY
Old 09-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #2488
Polyshrink Goddess

Whar are you going to sell these for? TOO CUTE!

Quote:

Old 09-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #2489
Polyshrink Goddess

This is such a great group of ladies, I was hoping someone could tell me how to fix my signature. I just can't remember how it's done

I need to be able to add the links to the 2 swaps I'm doing. I have the info posted in my signature, but no link. Please help, thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 07:04 AM   #2490
Rubber Obsessor

To everyone using toppers: the toppers on the products you buy in the store do not have hidden staples. I think we are all just perfectionists, and we want to be proud of our work. Pam: your project is very nicely made and you shoud be proud of your work!
Judi
Old 09-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #2491
Linking Queen

I haven't had to buy glue dots in a long time (DH and BFF both provided me with tons of adhesives) so I'm not sure whether or not this is a good price but here's a link to Zots being sold by Lakeside Collection (900 assorted sizes for $8.95):

900-Ct. Assorted Zots™ Adhesive Dots
Old 09-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #2492
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjudi View Post
To everyone using toppers: the toppers on the products you buy in the store do not have hidden staples. I think we are all just perfectionists, and we want to be proud of our work. Pam: your project is very nicely made and you shoud be proud of your work!
Judi
AMEN, Sister!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #2493
Insane Embellisher

Default TOPPERS

I tend to use toppers on items I will hang from my spinner rack, but not on items that will sit in a basket on my table. That is the thing that makes my decision for me.

I do the staple it on the bag, then cover it with a strip of cardstock thing. Sometimes, I decorate the cardstock by stamping a saying or an image. Other times, I use designer paper. I make every toppe different for different projects.

About the gluing dilemma, would the ATG gun work? That glue is very sticky - and quite cheap when bought at Michaels with a coupon.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #2494
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Pam I have to agree wth everyone above...DONT GIVE UP! I think your toppers look great! For the Reindeer food you've already done, don't change it!!!! If you have more to fill, go from there and add the sugar "glitter" if you want.

I also have to agree that it doesn't matter about the staples. After all it isn't as though they would be keeping the toppers. You could try stapling along the bottom of the topper closest to the baggie (like under the word Notes, and under the strawberry).
Dont let it stress you out!!!!!!!

Forgot to add that there is this "new" tape I have been using. it comes with white paper backing and you can tear it with your fingers. Nice because it doesn't get your scissors sticky! And it holds just as well as sticky strip, but not nearly as pricey, PLUS you get a lot more pure roll! I'm going to see if I can find out what it is called....

Last edited by GRKIDDO; 09-17-2011 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: forgot to add...
Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #2495
Polyshrink Goddess

Found it!!!!
X-Press Graph-X Supplies (it is the first one on that page)

If you are in the Lancaster, PA area, L&L Stamps (in Eprhata) sells it at her store (not open Sundays, and she doesn't have a website) for, now I may be off a little, but I believe under $4!

I LOVE it and I have to plan a day when I can drive the hour and 20 minutes (one way) to go get more from her!!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #2496
Stazon Splitcoast

You gals are amazing! I thank each of you who gave me suggestions regarding the toppers and all the compliments and encouraging words. I CASEd that one and some others from various ppl in the gallery. Some I made are original. I'll post a photo to my gallery wen I get those completed.

I've taken a break from those for a bit and am working on my reindeer food. I found two containers of red sugar sprinkles that I've had forever and added that to my mix of oats and red sprinkles. (To give you an idea of how long I've had them, one 2 3/8 ounce container was priced at 35 cents.) Anyway, I redid the ones that were already filled with the new mix and it didn't take very long at all. I had good help from my 7-yo grandson.

To scrappermom: I was thinking $3.50 for the post-it notes, but buggainok said she sells out of them and she charges $4.

Hugs to you all, Pam
Old 09-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #2497
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
You gals are amazing! I thank each of you who gave me suggestions regarding the toppers and all the compliments and encouraging words. I CASEd that one and some others from various ppl in the gallery. Some I made are original. I'll post a photo to my gallery wen I get those completed.

I've taken a break from those for a bit and am working on my reindeer food. I found two containers of red sugar sprinkles that I've had forever and added that to my mix of oats and red sprinkles. (To give you an idea of how long I've had them, one 2 3/8 ounce container was priced at 35 cents.) Anyway, I redid the ones that were already filled with the new mix and it didn't take very long at all. I had good help from my 7-yo grandson.

To scrappermom: I was thinking $3.50 for the post-it notes, but buggainok said she sells out of them and she charges $4.
Hugs to you all, Pam
I did sell every post it note holder I made, and came home at night made a few more!

Another reason to charge $4 instead of $3.50 (other than the extra money in your pocket, lol) is that I found it was a pain to make change all the time with silver. It's easy to give people bills back in change.

If people are in a buying mood at all, I'll bet they will not bat an eye paying $4 for those cute pads. You know if you think about it - plain post it notes from the store are not cheap.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #2498
Gabfest Goddess

Here is a easy "tree" to make for hanging items on:

That's My Letter: "T" is for Tree
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 09-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #2499
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto2 View Post

OK Seriously....I NEED THAT!!!!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #2500
AOK
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Brilliant ! TFS Mary

Old 09-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #2501
Rubber Obsessor

That "T'" Tree is fantastic. Looks professional and all. Makes me want to go and look at my mug tree but I think the arms angel up a bit. Thanks for the idea.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #2502
Inking Addict

Hello Ladies!

I am SOOOO behind getting ready for shows this year. Ugh! Great ideas to get inspiration from on here though.

I got pens to go with the post it holders at Hobby Lobby in the kid's party supplies section. They are various colors (ink is all black, though I think) in a package of 12 for $2.99. So, those worked well for me. I saw them again just the other day, so I know they have them this year too.

Keep the great ideas coming!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #2503
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

mary would you share the supplies for your cool "fobs". and links to purchase if you have those-thanks. i would love to make these in school colors for family. i'm thinking christmas gifts.
thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #2504
Gabfest Goddess

sorry snowcountry311, but that's not my web site. You could probably find a supply list by googling in "key fobs" or something similiar.
Proud RAK Member
Old 09-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #2505
Stazon Splitcoast

thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #2506
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmichelle View Post
That "T'" Tree is fantastic. Looks professional and all. Makes me want to go and look at my mug tree but I think the arms angel up a bit. Thanks for the idea.
I have bought a mug tree at my local hardware/tire store. It works great, and is stainless steel.
You ahve to be creative in your displays!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #2507
Stazon Splitcoast

Gayla, key fob directions are here:

Key Fob - jcaroline creative

The supplies are available there, too.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #2508
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLatty View Post
What do you ladies put your cards/crafts in when people buy them? I was thinking of using small white paper lunch bags (and maybe I can even stamp/decorate them).

I was also curious as to how you tell everyone that mailing their cards may cost extra postage. I was thinking of typing up a little note and giving it out with each purchase, but I wanted to see what you all do.

I enclose a piece of copy paper in the back of my cello bag (behind the envelope) that has "blank inside" or the sentiment stamped on it. If the card has a lot of "stuff" on it, I add "Raised embellishments may require extra postage."
Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #2509
Mad Swapper

A Little Birdie Told Me Plastic Bags

PRIMITIVE FOLK ART PLASTIC HANDLE T-SHIRT BAGS 50 CT | eBay

Wouldn't these be cute to put your sold items in?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #2510
Matboard Maniac

Default Looking for 2.5 or 3" calendars for coasters

Do you know of a place where I can download these?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #2511
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylou1220 View Post
Gayla, key fob directions are here:

Key Fob - jcaroline creative

The supplies are available there, too.
thanks linda
Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #2512
Rubber Obsessor

Can anyone tell me how thick of a magnet they used on the Post-it Note Coaster Clipboards? I need to order some quick because my first ever show is in two weeks.
Judi
Old 09-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #2513
AOK
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlynne View Post
Do you know of a place where I can download these?
Here you go Lynne.
Cat's 2012 Monthly Squares Calendar

Old 09-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #2514
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjudi View Post
Can anyone tell me how thick of a magnet they used on the Post-it Note Coaster Clipboards? I need to order some quick because my first ever show is in two weeks.
Judi
Judi, I used the 3M roll of magnet for mine. I use about a 3" strip on the top and bottom of each one. They stick really well, and they're adhesive on the back so you don't have to worry about glue or anything. I can't remember exactly how many feet are on the roll, but I just get it at the local hardware store.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #2515
Pearl-ExPert

CAT has other calendars too, if those monthly square aren't what you are looking for. She has ones specifically for coasters.

I use little button magnets for my coaster/post it note - got them at Michaels. They are probably 1/4" thick (or even less). I push the metal prong (one of them) to the back of the coaster so it will lay flat on the metal surface (fridge). Make sure when you are putting magnets on that you put them where they need to go so that metal prong doesn't get in the way - and the magnet has to be thicker than the metal prong. As me how I know that!

MY GALLERY
Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #2516
Rubber Obsessor

Mary-
Where did you find those magnet things at Michaels? Any chance you can post a pic of what they look like??
Tiffany
Old 09-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #2517
Gabfest Goddess

Cute Santa topper for cello bags (skinny ones):
Founder's Circle 2011 - super fun Punched Santa Project - Patty's Stamping Spot
Proud RAK Member
Old 09-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #2518
Gabfest Goddess

I have a question for those of you who sell altered composition books. I have mine already to go - but I am not sure of the packaging. Right now they are alll in kitchen storage bags - each with a matching pen. The bag offers protection for them but it sure needs some improvement. What do ya'all do?

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #2519
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
SO CUTE! I love those 1x8 bags. I just ordered some from SU!. I didn't even think about putting licorice, but that's an easy alternative to m&m's and other small round candies.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #2520
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy H View Post
I have a question for those of you who sell altered composition books. I have mine already to go - but I am not sure of the packaging. Right now they are alll in kitchen storage bags - each with a matching pen. The bag offers protection for them but it sure needs some improvement. What do ya'all do?
Cathy, here's a picture of my craft fair display. It shows smaller notebooks with pens, and post it note holders, but I used the same thing for my bigger notebooks.

I used the plastic bags you can buy without the zipper, Glad twist tie storage bags, gallon size. They are lighter weight than the zip loc type and are more "see through."

I put the books in the bag, and folded the excess neatly to the back and taped it with invisible tape. I think they look fine that way, and people can see the book and the pen easily.

I sold every one you see on that table, so I guess people thought the wrapping was okay.

Craft Fair Display by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers