Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #2401
Rubber Obsessor

Default Comments re consumer bags at POS

The stamped/fancy bags are lovely and can double as further advertising esp if it is distinctive enough, but they do not necessarily add to the point of sales. So you need to consider the time and cost of such and weigh it against your potential market. I haven't done this at all, but if I were to market my cards at a home party or at an upmarket venue then I would consider that it might be advantageous.

Personally I prefer to reuse plastic bags as a conscience decision for the environment recycling benefits.

BTW I once had a section reserved for recycled cards for such people who prefer not to buy new and it went rather well considering 95% of my stuff is 'new' cards... maybe I should look into it but my creative heart is just not in it! Again consider your market clientele.

Michelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #2402
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Bags

I have quite an abundancy of SU bags (the ones SU sends with our orders) that I plan to use at the fair I'm doing in October.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #2403
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelak View Post
I have quite an abundancy of SU bags (the ones SU sends with our orders) that I plan to use at the fair I'm doing in October.
esp if your cards are made with SU products... be even better if you are a demo too!
Michelle
Old 09-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #2404
Rubber Obsessor

I bought some red bags with handles from a seller on Etsy that I use to put items in.

I should be sleeping as I have to get up in less than 6 hours to get ready to head to the craft show. Was making some more items since when I went to set up my tent last night I had a couple people ask me if I was going to bring any more of my Halloween Treat Bags. I came home and couldn't find my instructions anywhere so DH and I were searching for at least 30 mins online trying to find them. Then I redid my price signs since I have new items and started putting stuff in my bags for the show.

Altered by Jenn
Old 09-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #2405
AOK
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmichelle View Post
I have done maybe half a dozen markets/fairs now selling my cards.
At present I have all my cards wrapped in cello bags for protection, but this is quite time consuming and a hassle. On top of this a get many people each time trying to see what the inside says... even if it is blank, which most of them are!
Do you think it important to protect the cards and have people possibly not buy a card cause they can't 'feel' the card or see inside it, or take a risk and have the cards in the raw so to speak?
I would value all opinions... try to think as a buyer not as a crafts person trying to protect their produce!
Michelle
Hi Michelle,
I bag almost everything. As a buyer I prefer it. I also use lunch bags to bag bought stuff and little baskets on table for shoppers. I have at previous fairs set everything out in bundles but this year I may set up some of my table with displays and definitely planning on adding height to my table with a shelf and frames.

My Blog :http://aokspaperstuff.blogspot.com/
Old 09-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #2406
AOK
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn21404 View Post
I bought some red bags with handles from a seller on Etsy that I use to put items in.

I should be sleeping as I have to get up in less than 6 hours to get ready to head to the craft show. Was making some more items since when I went to set up my tent last night I had a couple people ask me if I was going to bring any more of my Halloween Treat Bags. I came home and couldn't find my instructions anywhere so DH and I were searching for at least 30 mins online trying to find them. Then I redid my price signs since I have new items and started putting stuff in my bags for the show.
Oh go and gave a good sleep Jenn. Enjoy the show. Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Enjoy the day and meeting other crafters. Sales are a bonus.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:37 AM   #2407
Crimping Master

Quote:
I have done maybe half a dozen markets/fairs now selling my cards.
At present I have all my cards wrapped in cello bags for protection, but this is quite time consuming and a hassle. On top of this a get many people each time trying to see what the inside says... even if it is blank, which most of them are!
Do you think it important to protect the cards and have people possibly not buy a card cause they can't 'feel' the card or see inside it, or take a risk and have the cards in the raw so to speak?
I would value all opinions... try to think as a buyer not as a crafts person trying to protect their produce!
Michelle
I think I may be doing what everyone else is...I put my cards in their clear envelope right away. I like that they are clean & neat in their packaging. I went to a craft show about a year ago and a woman had cards for sale...everytime I walked past her booth she was gluing things on cards and I thought she was just working on new stuff...she was actually fixing the crds that were damaged from people opening them looking at them, etc...she lso mentioned how people just don't wash their hands anymore...a majority of her cards had smudges or fingerprints on them...I vowed then & there if I ever did a show I would have cards in clear envies...here is how my spinner rack looks... I have a TON of the tiny address labels...I just printed the word "BLANK" on it and attach the sticker on the outside of the bag if the card is blank...For the cards that have a sentiment in them (there are not many)...I have the larger sticker and I print what the sentiment is.
Attached Thumbnails
110_7526.jpg  
Old 09-11-2011, 04:45 AM   #2408
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLatty View Post
Okay, I have one more quick question. (Thanks to you all for helping me- I'm in the process of making items for my first craft show). Anyway, have any of you made wall art and sold them at your craft shows? How did they sell? And what would you think a good price for them would be? For example, I just made these this past week and I'm not sure if I should make anymore and if they will sell, KWIM? (sorry the pictures aren't that great).
These are so CUTE!!!! I love them and you did an awesome job! I think it is great when sellers have different price points...I have to ask how much do you think you have invested? You can always start out at $15.00/$18.00/$20.00 (?) and if you are feeling like people are looking but not buying then you can alsways throw a % off sign on them...say something like "Show Special 20% off...TODAY ONLY"

I have worked in retail for an obscene amount of years...I have learned that people LOVE deals...even when it really isn't a deal...but the sign is telling them it is.

Before I leave for a show...I have all of my price signs made up ahead of time and laminated...I use the same signs at all my shows...but I also have a few "SALE" signs premade and ready to hang if I feel something is priced too high.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #2409
AOK
Rubber Obsessor

I've just uploaded to my blog a Birthday Book using the Ikea Tolsby Frame. Very easy and again cheap to make.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #2410
Inking Addict

Quote:
Okay, I have one more quick question. (Thanks to you all for helping me- I'm in the process of making items for my first craft show). Anyway, have any of you made wall art and sold them at your craft shows? How did they sell? And what would you think a good price for them would be? For example, I just made these this past week and I'm not sure if I should make anymore and if they will sell, KWIM? (sorry the pictures aren't that great).
These are beautiful! You could take orders if they are popular.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #2411
Linking Queen

Quote:
They are lovely and I hope they sell well. I think it might depend on if the colors coordinate with the intended recipient's decor so sales might be hit-or-miss, kwim? If you are able to take (custom) orders I'd expect you would get some.

Good luck!

Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Old 09-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #2412
Rubber Obsessor

Default birthday books

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOK View Post
I've just uploaded to my blog a Birthday Book using the Ikea Tolsby Frame. Very easy and again cheap to make.
Great idea! I'm making birthday books but I never thought to put them on the frame.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #2413
Rubber Obsessor

Default Hope it went well

Quote:

I hope it was all worth the lack of sleep. Good luck. Let us know how you went!
Old 09-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #2414
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldyward View Post
........I vowed then & there if I ever did a show I would have cards in clear envies...here is how my spinner rack looks... I have a TON of the tiny address labels...I just printed the word "BLANK" on it and attach the sticker on the outside of the bag if the card is blank...For the cards that have a sentiment in them (there are not many)...I have the larger sticker and I print what the sentiment is.
I am having one of my 'Oh Duh' moments..... What a great idea about the sticker... that would make it much faster. (An I can do it even now without having to open everything up.) Why didn't I think of that? I already have a label printed with my name and contact info stuck on the back of every card. (I used to stamp my own name stamp but I found the permanent archival ink sometimes seeped through the card to the inside after some time if they didn't sell fast enough.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #2415
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I am having one of my 'Oh Duh' moments..... What a great idea about the sticker... that would make it much faster. (An I can do it even now without having to open everything up.) Why didn't I think of that? I already have a label printed with my name and contact info stuck on the back of every card. (I used to stamp my own name stamp but I found the permanent archival ink sometimes seeped through the card to the inside after some time if they didn't sell fast enough.
I wrap and label everything except my chocolate bars!
Even my post-it note books and notebooks. It stops people with dirty hands, (and their children) form touching my things... but it also keeps things looking nice for packing/unpacking at different shows.

I have started to use the small labels to tell people what things are (even if i think it is VERY obvious), and it has increased my sales alot. For example, on the outer package of my mini post-it note books, my label just says "Post-It note book". Simple but I gues some people just didn't know what things were.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #2416
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I have started to use the small labels to tell people what things are (even if i think it is VERY obvious), and it has increased my sales alot. For example, on the outer package of my mini post-it note books, my label just says "Post-It note book". Simple but I gues some people just didn't know what things were.
Thanks for the tip. I've been wanting to do this and now I know it's worth the time.

Anyone have sales this weekend? If so, how'd they go?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #2417
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeGeeDee View Post
They are lovely and I hope they sell well. I think it might depend on if the colors coordinate with the intended recipient's decor so sales might be hit-or-miss, kwim? If you are able to take (custom) orders I'd expect you would get some.

Good luck!

Tina aka TeeGeeDee
You are right, I was trying to use some colors I thought might be more popular, but I guess it's hard to do since we all have different taste.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #2418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldyward View Post
These are so CUTE!!!! I love them and you did an awesome job! I think it is great when sellers have different price points...I have to ask how much do you think you have invested? You can always start out at $15.00/$18.00/$20.00 (?) and if you are feeling like people are looking but not buying then you can alsways throw a % off sign on them...say something like "Show Special 20% off...TODAY ONLY"

I have worked in retail for an obscene amount of years...I have learned that people LOVE deals...even when it really isn't a deal...but the sign is telling them it is.

Before I leave for a show...I have all of my price signs made up ahead of time and laminated...I use the same signs at all my shows...but I also have a few "SALE" signs premade and ready to hang if I feel something is priced too high.
Thanks! The picture frames were a set that I bought at Kmart last year on Black Friday. Actually they still sell the set of frames at Kmart and I read somewhere that there is a price freeze on them and they will be $14.99 until the end of this year.

They are hard to see in this picture, but it was the only link I could find. The 'Home Sweet Home' frame was hard to work with though because the words are actually on the glass part of the frame. It was a bit tricky to try to work with.

Essential Home 8-pc. Frame Set
Old 09-11-2011, 04:04 PM   #2419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharri View Post
These are beautiful! You could take orders if they are popular.
That's a good idea, thanks! I have one more little plastic sign holder that I didn't use. I could make up a little sign saying that I can take custom orders.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #2420
Gabfest Goddess

I have 3 items that I make that are NOT paper-oriented, but which are so easy to make in bulk. I will be selling them at my Herb Day coming up next month. They are dream pillows, natural herb moth repellant sachets, and lavender sachets. I grow most of the herbs myself. Just thought I'd share. . .

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #2421
Rubber Obsessor

Had my craft show today and it was all right. I made my booth fee back plus $10 extra. I have got to figure out some higher price items to sell as well (thinking birthday books and not sure what else).

My big sellers were: Small Triangle Boxes (santa claus and reindeer theme)
Treat boxes (with monsters on them)
Tooth Fairy Tins

I didn't sell any of the Mini Hand Bacterial Soap Holders I made I really thought those would sell.

I had a giveaway for a custom ribbon topiary and got lots of entries but didn't get any orders for any.

Like I told DH I do better selling banners and stuff online then I do at my craft shows.

My next show isn't until October 29 so I have time to restock my items and figure out some bigger items to sell.

Altered by Jenn
Old 09-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #2422

Sorry to hear that you did sell lost more at your craft show today.

Hubby told me not to get my hopes up about selling tons of items. I told him I would just be happy to make my fee back and perhaps 'get my name out there' so to speak. I'm hoping I will maybe have some new customers and perhaps meet some new people who would like to attend my classes.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #2423
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to NancyL2648

Sorry to hear your show didn't go that well...at least you made your booth fee back. I had a show just like that last year. Sad part is I'm doing it again this year and hoping I get a better spot.

Love you little Tooth Fairy Tins...too cute! What stamp set is that?

Quote:
Had my craft show today and it was all right. I made my booth fee back plus $10 extra. I have got to figure out some higher price items to sell as well (thinking birthday books and not sure what else).

Tooth Fairy Tins

I didn't sell any of the Mini Hand Bacterial Soap Holders I made I really thought those would sell.

I had a giveaway for a custom ribbon topiary and got lots of entries but didn't get any orders for any.

Like I told DH I do better selling banners and stuff online then I do at my craft shows.

My next show isn't until October 29 so I have time to restock my items and figure out some bigger items to sell.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #2424

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you did sell lost more at your craft show today.
Oops- I meant to say-

I'm sorry that you didn't sell more at your craft show today. (I can't go back and edit it).
Old 09-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #2425
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyL2648 View Post
Sorry to hear your show didn't go that well...at least you made your booth fee back. I had a show just like that last year. Sad part is I'm doing it again this year and hoping I get a better spot.

Love you little Tooth Fairy Tins...too cute! What stamp set is that?
It's a digi stamp from whimsie doodles

Altered by Jenn
Old 09-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #2426
Crimping Master

Quote:
Thanks for you help! I didn't even think about the little bags with the handles. I know Walmart has some of those, but I'll have to check the dollar store to see if they are cheaper there.

I have cards printed with my information on it and I was planning on putting one of them in each baggie. (I printed those from the SU website).

I guess I could either print out something that says some cards my need extra postage or I could make a sign and put it on my table. I just wasn't sure which was the best to do so.
For the last 5 years, I have been using white and red paper lunch bags and placing a large address label (which I have my DD stamp with various designs) on the front of the bag with my store information on it. Seems to work great for me! (and inexpensive). For the customers that purchase larger amounts of items, I also keep some handle type bags on hand - also with my store information labels.

I'm sure that bags don't add to sales, but my "Paper OCD" kicks in if I don't offer more than a grocery bag!

Last edited by kaitysmom; 09-12-2011 at 12:52 AM..
Old 09-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #2427
Crimping Master

Default Question for all crafty people and buyers

Ok....I have been looking at the applications that you can rent/purchase for your iphone that allow you to swipe credit cards on site at your craft shows. Through my research, I have found a company that I am interested in that will send you the machine and application for your phone for free, but charges a fee per transaction. The card is processed on site, so you don't have to worry about lack of funds after the fact etc. like the old system with the credit card slips and slider machine.

My big question is this: Do you think that you can increase your sales per customer substantially by offering a credit/debit option? Will they increase enough to justify the additional transaction charge? I don't use my credit cards much so I'm at a loss!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Beth
Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #2428
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitysmom View Post
Ok....I have been looking at the applications that you can rent/purchase for your iphone that allow you to swipe credit cards on site at your craft shows. Through my research, I have found a company that I am interested in that will send you the machine and application for your phone for free, but charges a fee per transaction. The card is processed on site, so you don't have to worry about lack of funds after the fact etc. like the old system with the credit card slips and slider machine.

My big question is this: Do you think that you can increase your sales per customer substantially by offering a credit/debit option? Will they increase enough to justify the additional transaction charge? I don't use my credit cards much so I'm at a loss!

Beth
Are you talking about Square App? A friend of mine that was set up next to me had it and had lots of people pay by card and so did my friend that I shared my booth with. Everyone that paid by card thought it was the coolest thing. I had my card scanner but my phone was being stupid so I didn't get to try it out

Altered by Jenn
Old 09-12-2011, 05:54 AM   #2429
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Beth
What is the transaction fee? a percentage of the sale or a flat amount? If it's a percentage (most credit cards are 4 or 5% in a regular retail setting) of the sale, I would be more inclined to go that route, vs the flat amount (unless it was a VERY small fee). Is the fee based on the amount of transactions?

I was in the Expo center of our state fair (where they sell everything from soup to nuts!) and was amazed at the vendors that are still only accepting cash. There was an item that I really wanted/needed (long story short - I blew out my NEW flip flops and needed a new pair-NOW! as we had just got to the fair.), but because they didn't accept debit/credit cards, I didn't buy it, (it would have significantly cut into our cash and I refuse to pay the $7 ATM fee at the Expo).

Maybe not the same situation, but I would have bought the more expensive item (and probably two, cuz they were really cute!), but they didn't take debit cards. Most people also don't think as carefully of the amount they're spending when they can pay with a credit card.

I would say try it for a few fairs this year and see if your sales increase. If there isn't a long term contract to sign, you haven't lost anything. My gut feeling is you'll be selling more.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sharon
Old 09-12-2011, 07:39 AM   #2430
Crimping Master

Quote:
Are you talking about Square App? A friend of mine that was set up next to me had it and had lots of people pay by card and so did my friend that I shared my booth with. Everyone that paid by card thought it was the coolest thing. I had my card scanner but my phone was being stupid so I didn't get to try it out
So, do you think that her customers bought more than they would with just cash or credit? From what I have been seeing, looks like about 80% increase...but wanted to hear that from someone!

Yes, I am looking at the Square application. Card reader is in the mail as I type! YEA!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #2431
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2girl View Post
What is the transaction fee? a percentage of the sale or a flat amount? If it's a percentage (most credit cards are 4 or 5% in a regular retail setting) of the sale, I would be more inclined to go that route, vs the flat amount (unless it was a VERY small fee). Is the fee based on the amount of transactions?

Sharon
No start up costs, no monthly costs, no contracts, no minimum or maximum # of transactions, the card reader is free too! Just a 2.75% per transaction fee for swiped cards. Compatible with all iphones, and a lot of the Android phones as well....but this gave me an excuse to get my hubby to go for the iphone!

During the transaction, you can take a pix of the items purchased and send to the customer with the receipt via email! They actually "sign" the touch screen on your phone like a transaction in a store. AWESOME! Money is deposited (minus fee) directly into your bank account! No information is stored in your phone so no risk to customer of credit fraud etc. You can even use it for your personal transactions when someone owes you money etc. Just swipe their card and it goes into your account!

My card reader is in the mail - I can't wait to get it!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #2432
Crimping Master

Quote:

Tooth Fairy Tins

It might just be a little early for major sales too? In my area - Cincinnati/No. Kentucky - I found that my items really don't sell as well until the holiday crafts fairs starting in early November. However, I still have a smaller craft show that I do every year in October because I like to make Halloween stuff. I don't make near the sales that I do in Nov/Dec. but I like the venue and the ladies that I have around me are wonderful! I normally break even but have a great time - so it's worth it to me!

Best of Luck with your next show! I'm sure that you will see an increase in sales later on!

Beth
Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #2433
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
So, do you think that her customers bought more than they would with just cash or credit? From what I have been seeing, looks like about 80% increase...but wanted to hear that from someone!

Yes, I am looking at the Square application. Card reader is in the mail as I type! YEA!
I honestly believe so. My one friend makes hats and scarves so her items are higher priced items. I can't tell you how many times I saw her swiping someone's card yesterday. My other friend bought a stylus pen for customers to sign with.

Altered by Jenn
Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #2434
Rubber Obsessor

I had a few people ask me if I make cards and I've made a couple before for my nieces birthday and my SIL's high school graduation and some baby boy ones to send to MOPS moms that have had babies. For those that sell cards what types of cards do you make? Just flat or criss cross or other types of cards? Also what kind of cards sell best: Christmas, Birthday, Babies, etc?

Altered by Jenn
Old 09-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #2435
Crimping Master

Quote:
I had a few people ask me if I make cards and I've made a couple before for my nieces birthday and my SIL's high school graduation and some baby boy ones to send to MOPS moms that have had babies. For those that sell cards what types of cards do you make? Just flat or criss cross or other types of cards? Also what kind of cards sell best: Christmas, Birthday, Babies, etc?
I would say 98% of my cards are 4"x5.5"...When HL has a 40% off sale (like this week) I totally stock up on them...they are the easiest to create for me. I do all different styles however, birthday, thank you, congrats, love, etc... when I get closer to holidays I tend to make cards for those as well.

I usually don't make larger cards because I don't want to have someone go to the PO to get additional postage, etc. It would have to be a VERY special occasion for me to send an oversized card...although I love 6x6 cards (go figure)
Old 09-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #2436
Rubber Obsessor

I didn't even think of using premade card bases already LOL. I bought a 6 packs in June (8 packs with envelopes) at Michaels and now WM carries them as well Thanks for saving me trouble LOL.

Altered by Jenn
Old 09-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #2437
Crimping Master

I can tell you it is a total time saver using card bases...pre bought. I have a package from HL that had 50 notecards with envies for $6.99...and I got that package for 40% off...I do make card bases if I want a different color for the base...but for $4.19 for 50 cards with envies I can't beat it.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #2438
Gabfest Goddess

Here is a cute way to do the cello bags:
Toucan Bird Video 001 - YouTube
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 09-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #2439
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Bag Topper or Not

I've made about 40 post-it note holders with mini gel pens. I'm putting them in cello bags. I'm consider whether or not to make bag topper for them. Also, if I do toppers, should I coordinate them with each post it note or just do a generic topper that will work for all. I'm thinking of coordinating toppers, but I know that will take more time than generic ones. Please give me some input if you've had experiece and know if having bag toppesr makes a difference in how well items sell. Does having bag toppesr allow you to incease your price? Any comments are welcome. I'm really green when it comes to craft fairs. Thanks so much, Pam
Old 09-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #2440
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelak View Post
I've made about 40 post-it note holders with mini gel pens. I'm putting them in cello bags. I'm consider whether or not to make bag topper for them. Also, if I do toppers, should I coordinate them with each post it note or just do a generic topper that will work for all. I'm thinking of coordinating toppers, but I know that will take more time than generic ones. Please give me some input if you've had experiece and know if having bag toppesr makes a difference in how well items sell. Does having bag toppesr allow you to incease your price? Any comments are welcome. I'm really green when it comes to craft fairs. Thanks so much, Pam
I have toppers on my Tooth Fairy Tins and those are one of my big sellers. I don't have any toppers on my spiral notebooks and haven't sold any so I believe they do make a difference. For my toppers, I just use what scraps I have.

Altered by Jenn