Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #2241
Stazon Splitcoast

i think i would put a layer of gesso down first.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #2242
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
Mine was set up as a teacher's card. And I am attempting to alter my first Composition book. I have done others, the minis, but this is the first full sized one.

Thanks!
Have fun! I have tried many different suggestions to see what I like best. I do not like the paper on the binding. I also do not like using a Mod Podge type glue. I do like how they turn out using my big Xyron machine to apply glue to the paper. I will try painting the binding next. All the different ways to alter the composition books are personal preference- no right or wrong way.
Judi
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #2243
Insane Embellisher

Just a quick note...went to walmart...they didn't have the staples ad up. Staples deal here is 10¢ a comp book. walmart let me have them for that price. I bought all they had on the shelf...42. I'm going to go back and see if they restock tomorrow. I love the idea of the double ribbon to hold a pencil. That's something I'll try for sure. ok...I'm done...going to alter a couple before bed. Have a good night all.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #2244
Crimping Master

I love the way Nichole did the altred comp book with the paint on the spine...however, I am really curious if that would hold up over time. I think this is where I am OCD with these books...wouldn't the paint chip over time? I may have to sacrifice one of my comp books to try this and then open and close it over and over again to see if anything chips off. Off to start my comp book testing...
Old 08-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #2245
Matboard Maniac

I am teaching a Cricut class tomorrow and decided since the Composition notebooks are so cheap that that is the project I am going to have them work on. I love the ribbon idea to hold a pen or pencil, and like several of you mentioned I too am OCD when it comes to bumps in my paper too, so I tried a 3/8" satin ribbon or any thinner ribbon would do and a nice heavier weight designer paper, you can't see any bumps and it looks great! I just signed up with a new company called Pink Whimsy and they have all kinds of great paper and products from Bo Bunny, Echo Park, My Minds Eye, October Afternoon and more. It was only $50 to sign up and I can now get a discount on all of the supplies I am using on my items to sell! Here is a link if you would like to check it out: Pink Whimsy-Jennifer Underwood
Old 08-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #2246
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldyward View Post
I love the way Nichole did the altred comp book with the paint on the spine...however, I am really curious if that would hold up over time. I think this is where I am OCD with these books...wouldn't the paint chip over time? I may have to sacrifice one of my comp books to try this and then open and close it over and over again to see if anything chips off. Off to start my comp book testing...
That's exactly what I was wondering - will it crack or peel over time? Would you need to spray it with a sealer?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #2247
Matboard Maniac

Default comp books

The new "decor" duck tape seems to be big here right now and I was curious to know if anyone has tried putting this over the binding of the comp books. It would be sturdy and decorative and would likely hold the ribbon for the pencil. Anyone tried it?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #2248
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookskaren View Post
The new "decor" duck tape seems to be big here right now and I was curious to know if anyone has tried putting this over the binding of the comp books. It would be sturdy and decorative and would likely hold the ribbon for the pencil. Anyone tried it?
I bought the white, and I love it for the lighter colored papers. I have not tried it with the ribbon, but I would think that it would hold well for the bookmark.
Hmmm, I wonder what it would look like if I try stamping on the white tape with Stazon Ink. Just a thought.
I did buy some comp books last year that already had pink and blue binding. Those were fun to make!
I say go for it!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #2249
Insane Embellisher

Default Toouth Fairy Tins

I finished my 30 tooth fairy tins and 76 beaded pens this week-end. My finders hurt a little!

Here are the 2 designs for my tin... they have a tooth chart, pouch and little note for the tooth fairy inside. these took me a long time to come up with..so I feel I want to keep these as my own designs - at least until after this craft fair season.
(the design part always takes sooo long the first time you make something!)
Attached Thumbnails
2011-toothfairy-tin-kits-2styles-glitter.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #2250
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I finished my 30 tooth fairy tins and 76 beaded pens this week-end. My finders hurt a little!

Here are the 2 designs for my tin... they have a tooth chart, pouch and little note for the tooth fairy inside. these took me a long time to come up with..so I feel I want to keep these as my own designs - at least until after this craft fair season.
(the design part always takes sooo long the first time you make something!)
Those are so cute!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #2251
Stampin' Fool

subbing

"You're gonna need a bigger boat"
~ Chief Brody, Jaws
Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #2252
Kookie Creator

Smile

Tooth Fairy Tins

Diane,

Your designs are adorable! Hope they sell well!

Last edited by purplepatch; 08-22-2011 at 01:34 AM..
Old 08-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #2253
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldyward View Post
I just received an email from Martha Stewart crafts about the new super paint she introduced at CHA. It's supposed to work on all surfaces, even glass and metal. Might be good for the bindings.

"Transform everything from curtains to glassware to flower pots with the first multi-surface craft paint available! Martha Stewart Crafts™ premium acrylic paints provide superior coverage for all fabric, wood, glass, ceramic, plastic, and metal craft projects.

Offered in a range of beautiful colors and five high-quality finishes—satin, high gloss, metallic, pearl, and glitter, inspired by her original glitter colors—Martha’s craft paints resist fading and wear, are ideal for indoor or outdoor use, and even safe for dishwashers."

Here is a link:

Craft Product Review: Overview of Martha Stewart Paints by Plaid | Craft Test Dummies

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 08-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #2254
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I just received an email from Martha Stewart crafts about the new super paint she introduced at CHA. It's supposed to work on all surfaces, even glass and metal. Might be good for the bindings.

"Transform everything from curtains to glassware to flower pots with the first multi-surface craft paint available! Martha Stewart Crafts™ premium acrylic paints provide superior coverage for all fabric, wood, glass, ceramic, plastic, and metal craft projects.

Offered in a range of beautiful colors and five high-quality finishes—satin, high gloss, metallic, pearl, and glitter, inspired by her original glitter colors—Martha’s craft paints resist fading and wear, are ideal for indoor or outdoor use, and even safe for dishwashers."

Here is a link:

Craft Product Review: Overview of Martha Stewart Paints by Plaid | Craft Test Dummies

Leave it to the crafing guru herself to come up with something like that...hahaha!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #2255
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Yahoo to kmkluvs2scrap

Ok, so as craft fair season is coming upon us...anyone have any suggestions for things that sold really well last year, or new ideas for this year?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #2256
Swapper of the Month - June 2013

I use the colored duct tape all the time to get different color spines. I don't like paper on it either.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #2257
Rubber Obsessor

Subbing. thanks for all the great ideas ladies! My next craft show is in Oct.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #2258
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to NancyL2648

My best sellers last year were altered coffee drink bottles ...think Starbucks. Filled them with holiday candy that was on sale. Sold for $3 each.
The other item that I couldn't keep in stock was from Kerry:
Craft Fair Goodies & Video Tutorial: Snowmen Hershey Bar Wrappers
Also sold these for $3 and couldn't keep them on the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkluvs2scrap View Post
Ok, so as craft fair season is coming upon us...anyone have any suggestions for things that sold really well last year, or new ideas for this year?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #2259
Stazon Splitcoast

i love that snowman. everyone needs to hit joann's and buy up the remmants of polar fleece. start making those hats
Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #2260
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyL2648 View Post
My best sellers last year were altered coffee drink bottles ...think Starbucks. Filled them with holiday candy that was on sale. Sold for $3 each.
The other item that I couldn't keep in stock was from Kerry:
Craft Fair Goodies & Video Tutorial: Snowmen Hershey Bar Wrappers
Also sold these for $3 and couldn't keep them on the table.
Yes. I have been using this Laurie Furnell freebie design for the past 5 years. I sell them for $2 for the normal size Hershey bar.
I shared it on this list a while ago and then they really took off when Kerry made a tutorial.
Our craft sharing is a mixed blessing sometimes though. I love sharing my ideas and learning about others.. but we also want to have exclusive products at our craft shows.
I am (secretly) kinda bummed Kerry made it more "known" because now other crafters in my area are "lifting" the idea.

On the bright side, they can look different depending on the fleece and embellishments. I have made them into different things too - it is fun to choose the block style chunky chocolate bars for a different shape.
I helped my daughter sell her charity bars this way last year. I made less profit, but she got credit towards her cheer competition fees.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #2261
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepatch View Post
Tooth Fairy Tins

Diane,

Your designs are adorable! Hope they sell well!
Thanks! I posted my Facebook page to my general Facebook friends and sold 2 already. It is a good start, for sure.

Tonight I spent time sending cheques off for my 3 big shows in November and December. I hate sending those off..cause I always have to pay up front, then wait for profits later.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #2262
Kookie Creator

Snowman Soup, candy sticks and coaster calendars were great sellers for me. I charged $1 for the candy sticks and $2 for the others and people bought them as little gifties for their co-workers and stocking stuffers. I have pictures of my table set up in my gallery so you may be able to see them there.

This year I found smaller chocolate marshmallows so I am going to make some snowman soup with those! mmmmmmm chocolate! lol

My sometimes neglected blog
Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 AM   #2263
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Yes. I have been using this Laurie Furnell freebie design for the past 5 years. I sell them for $2 for the normal size Hershey bar.
I shared it on this list a while ago and then they really took off when Kerry made a tutorial.
Our craft sharing is a mixed blessing sometimes though. I love sharing my ideas and learning about others.. but we also want to have exclusive products at our craft shows.
I am (secretly) kinda bummed Kerry made it more "known" because now other crafters in my area are "lifting" the idea.

On the bright side, they can look different depending on the fleece and embellishments. I have made them into different things too - it is fun to choose the block style chunky chocolate bars for a different shape.
I helped my daughter sell her charity bars this way last year. I made less profit, but she got credit towards her cheer competition fees.
I found that printed paper several years ago and then I made hats using the smallest knifty knitter loom...it is about 3" across and salmon in color. I could make about 6 an hour and used 2 balls of yarn I got at a dollar store. Put a jungle bell on top! gave them to all of my staff and my peers for a holiday pick me up! Then I couldn't find the snowman pattern anymore....thanks for letting me know where to get it again! Everyone loved them!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 AM   #2264
Die Cut Diva

snowman soup was definately my quickest sellers. I put mine in the frapp bottles layered with cocoa, marshmallows and choc chips. Tied a candy cane and a cute tag on outside. I sold out of the 20 I had with me and rec'd an order for 15 from someone else. I also make paperbag albums with a variety of subjects and people come back for those.

I'm thinking of making smash books this year. What do you think? Do you think these would sell? maybe have a sample of my own there?

I'm making my first one for my nephew who travels with his band all over. I thought it would be great for his adventures/tickets/photos.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #2265
Matboard Maniac

hollyjw, what a great idea with the knifty knitter!!! I never thought of that & I have the looms. I have sold the popcorn the past 2 years at craft shows & they've done well. But I've been trying to think of how I could change them up a little this year. That's a great idea!
Thank you!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #2266
Pearl-ExPert

For you jewelry makers - I was at Michael's this weekend and they had things you could use to display jewelry - stands that had 'arms' on them and then a tall stand that had hooks all around it that things could hang off them. Just sharing in case you need this stuff.

Mary

MY GALLERY
Old 08-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #2267
Glitter Queen

sub
Old 08-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #2268
Rubber Obsessor

Nancy, do you have a pic of your altered bottles?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #2269
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtathebox View Post
sub
OH my gosh!!! lol. your quote is hilarious. and it's true in opposite form also; if it weren't for june, july and august all the teachers would be in the loony bin.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #2270
Gabfest Goddess

My best advice is keep it simple, keep it inexpensive. I think that items under $5 sell the best - for me, anyway.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #2271
Cardstock Collector

HELP.... I want to set up table at my local garden center that has a small farmers market and vendor's selling handmade products but I'm not sure where to start. I've gotten a ton of ideas from this post about things to craft but also have many questions! A big one is when you are making items that contain food, how far in advance are you assembling the item and are you worried that the food will go stale? Do you think people actually eat the candy - like in the m&m candy sticks? If someone could give me some guidance I would be really grateful. Thanks in advance and I look forward to the advice!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #2272
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerbeaner View Post
HELP.... I want to set up table at my local garden center that has a small farmers market and vendor's selling handmade products but I'm not sure where to start. I've gotten a ton of ideas from this post about things to craft but also have many questions! A big one is when you are making items that contain food, how far in advance are you assembling the item and are you worried that the food will go stale? Do you think people actually eat the candy - like in the m&m candy sticks? If someone could give me some guidance I would be really grateful. Thanks in advance and I look forward to the advice!
For the most part, the M&M sticks won't go bad really quickly. They may get soft if you are in a warmer clilmate. For the past craft shows, when I make the M&M sticks, I have everything ready 1-2 weeks before the show and then the 3-4 days prior I fill the bags. All of the circles are punched and adhered together (just not to the bag). f you are making skittle sticks, you can fill them a bit longer out from the show because they will not melt (or get soft) or get stale. I have the weeks leading up to a show down like science...I schedule time to get everything done (or filled) and I have never had any issues.

Most of the poeple buying the sticks from me, are buying to attach on the outside of a gift. The closer to the major holidays they are buying for stocking stuffers, teacher gifts, add-on to co-worker gift, etc.

Good luck...let us know how everything went after the show!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #2273
Crimping Master

Does anyone sell the paper banners at craft shows? I am finishing up a few Halloween banners and I was wondering what you might charge for such an item? I have been looking at etsy and the banners are pretty pricy there.

Here is the preliminary photo of one banner almost finished...I have yet to add ribbon between the banners...a few buttons perhaps and maybe some rhinestones...I truly believe rhinestones make everything better (along with doilies)...

Currently I have under $2.00 invested in this banner...
Attached Thumbnails
halloween-banner.jpg  
Old 08-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #2274
Gabfest Goddess

Love your banner. . ... Don't know about pricing, but you sure are good at keeping expenses down!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #2275
Die Cut Diva

I found the clear rulers at Target today. 50 cents each. I am glad I looked closely though. Some of the rulers that appear clear have a smokey gray tint. But you can tell if you put them side by side.

Bonnie
Old 08-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #2276
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Yahoo to lisajtmo

Diane, your tins are adorable!!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #2277
Glitter Guru

great ideas!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #2278
Polyshrink Goddess

I too sold the altered "starbucks" bottles. I personally don't drink the coffee, but I have friends that do. They drink them and then give me the bottles. I then remove the labels, wash and then steralize the bottles. I made 2 last year. I sold 22. Not too shabby! I also filled them with candy. Some with Kisses, others with hard candies, tootsie rolls, etc.

I have been making Calendar Coasters magnets also. I find it is difficult to come up with masculine ideas for them. But I am ahead of schedule and made ones for the kids' teachers. They picked out the papers, brads, etc. I have a number of rulers completed, as well composition books, large and minis. I have just a few spiral notebooks done also.
I am hoping to do 4 sales this year. I have my feelers out on a few of them, just waiting for dates!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #2279
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I contacted a church which I thought I had a space at their sale last year. But someone else took over planning and I was told they "Didn't have room for me". I was very disappointed. This year I contacted them in plenty of time and I was told they were happy to have me. They are sending out a contract for me to sign. I am very excited about this sale!!!!! But just a little nervous that they are going to turn me down again. I guess once I sign the contract, they can't turn me down right??

Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!
Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #2280
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
Well, I contacted a church which I thought I had a space at their sale last year. But someone else took over planning and I was told they "Didn't have room for me". I was very disappointed. This year I contacted them in plenty of time and I was told they were happy to have me. They are sending out a contract for me to sign. I am very excited about this sale!!!!! But just a little nervous that they are going to turn me down again. I guess once I sign the contract, they can't turn me down right??

Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!
Crossing my fingers for you too! I LOVED reading your Saturday blog entry. That tree is so beautiful!! I would love to have one outside my window. You are so lucky. I'm so jealous!
I had a hummingbird feeder one time and they were so mean. They would peck each other in the head and fight for a drinking spot.