Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #81
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampnsk8r View Post
thanks for the bag link...

I have another question...I asked on the last thread but don't recall anybody answering. I've made mostly A2 size cards. I was wondering if you made more A2 or do you make larger cards and which one sells better? TIA for any input.
I've not sold my cards before at craft fairs - I'm making just a few for this season. I'm doing some A2 and some 5x7 - I'm not sure which size will sell best.

However, I am doing up sets of things, so people can mix and match a gift set. I am making coordinating cards to go with the sets - which I think will make them sell better, because people might like a matching card to go with the gift. I HOPE anyway!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #82
Polyshrink Goddess

Great thread! I had my 1st craft fair last Friday. I only had a little over a week to get ready so I didn't have a whole lot. I did pretty good though. I only had one small table and made $90. Now I'm working on the next one which is a Christmas Bazaar next month. I know now to focus more on journals, notebooks, bookmarkers and other gift items. I only sold 2 cards but got 2 orders for Christmas cards.

So for things like Snowman Soup and other treat type gifts, what size bags do you use? I know the packaging really makes a difference.

Can we also start a list of items with prices? I know they vary depending on the area. I live in a small area. I had $2.50 on my cards and I'm thinking that might have been too high. I only had $3 on my journals, $2.50 on the junior legal pads, $1.50 on the post it note holders and 50 cents on the bookmarkers. I'm wondering if I shorted myself.

Looking forward to getting more ideas from you ladies...
2013 Scrapbook goal-getting my grandson's scrapbook caught up before grandbaby #2 arrives. June goal 7/12. July 9/10.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #83
Crimping Master

Prices vary from show to show,as well as areas and anticipated shoppers. The show I do at work and at the legion are a older croud and employees. Year to year things are differant. The economy being tight last year I did lots of dollar items that sold,cards sold but that does not normally happen. Candy items usually sell really well but not last year and I did a lot. This year I have done "top note" purses,have 3 left to finish. Did altered notebooks, have never done these. Will do a few coasters again as these always sell,I do a set for $14 or $3.50 each. I try to have guy themed stuff as noone else does,sports things sell well usually. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #84
Gabfest Goddess

At one of our local mom and pop hardware stores here in town they are selling the stone tiles, package of 4 for $15.99, bundle up with ribbon bow with monograms on them, very simple but elegant looking at the same time.
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 09-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #85
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetickatie View Post
I'm going to make Winter Survival Kits since my show is in late November, and so far I have these ideas to include:

- hand sanitizer
- hand lotion
- cocoa mix
- hand warmers
- chicken soup
- kleenex pack

Any other ideas you can think of? Thanks in advance!
Maybe some of these:
Lip Balm
Sachets-selection of tea, herbal or coffee sachets
A bookmark with a positive saying
A bath bomb or bubble bath sachet/sample
Pop corn sachet
A packet of Jolly Ranchers or similar

Are you targeting an age group or gender?

It sounds like a terrific idea. What are you going to pack it in?

Sharon
Old 09-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #86
Glitter Queen

Default craft sale best sellers

I have enjoyed reading all the wonderful ideas you talented ladies have shared. I am new to paper crafts and really enjoy the file folder notebooks. Where is everyone finding the decorative file folders?

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #87
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecbear View Post
I have enjoyed reading all the wonderful ideas you talented ladies have shared. I am new to paper crafts and really enjoy the file folder notebooks. Where is everyone finding the decorative file folders?

Thanks!
I recently found the decorative file folders at Michaels in their dollar section.

HTH!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:22 PM   #88
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Thanks!
Welcome Teecbear!
I've found them at the Dollar Tree, Michael's, Joann's and Hobby Lobby.
They all had matching sticky notes, except for the ones at Hobby Lobby.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #89
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Thanks!
I found mine at Staples 12 for $5. Currently working on 36 of them. They didn't have matching sticky notes but I am putting sticky notes in them that I also got at Staples 12 for $1.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #90
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2106 View Post
I had asked this on the last thread but only had one response so I'm trying again on the new thread

I need ideas on how to attach velcro to the mini portfolios made from file folders (or of another way to keep them closed). The velcro pieces end up detaching when the folder is opened, and I'm not sure which adhesive would be best to make sure they stay down.

The velcro is self-adhesive, but I've also tried Scor Tape (that completely covers the velcro) and hot glue. Both end up not sticking after awhile. Maybe I need to do something like magnetic closures, but I'm afraid that I'll have the same problem with them not staying attached.

Would really appreciate any help because these are really cute, and I have about 15 made but can't sell them if they keep coming undone. Thanks!!

(Also...did you know that you can subscribe to the thread by clicking on "Thread Tools" at the top? That way you don't have to post to subscribe
I am currnetly working on 36 of these assembly line style. The velco closure being the last step. I started to put the velcro self adhesive on mine today. I am only using 1/2 circle for each one as someone on this site suggested. The package instructions on mine said to make sure surface is clean. I washed my hands before I started, to make sure there was no oil or hand lotion on my fingers and tried not to touch the area were the velco would go on the folders with my hands at any time. I rubbed the area with a clean cloth after ruffing up the surface of the paper with the tip of my paper piercer (my folders have a slick finish to them) and applied the velco. I was also very careful as not to let anything touch the adhesive side of the velco especially with my hands, as body oil I am sure would weaken the adhesive strength. I will test them tomorrow as per the instructions on the package said do not move as adhesive reaches its maximum strength in 24 hours. The instruction also stated high tempertures would weaken the strength of the adhesive. I have two differant packs of velcro and one pack had all the instructions and the other pack came without directions. Hopefully this will work. I only put the velco on four tonight to test it. If this doesn't work I will have to go to plan B. I have no idea what plan B is, so I pray this works!
Old 09-06-2010, 03:54 AM   #91
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhb1281 View Post
I will test them tomorrow
I am looking forward to your answer.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:23 AM   #92
Rubber Obsessor

I had a big show this weekend, and am so pleased at how successful it was! I went in without much in expectations, since the one in July was so slow. This one was great! I will give this suggestion though--I bought the full black sheets at WalMart and really was excited at how good they looked on the table. HOWEVER, we were outside on a gravel lot, right beside a road, and after an hour or so, they were covered with dirt and dust. I plan on buying cream colored ones for the next outdoor show. ALSO--all of my stuff is completely dirty and I am going to spend today cleaning everything. I am most worried about the mailboxes as they were not in any sort of plastic cover. Everything else was pretty much bagged up, so the actual product is safe, even if I have to ditch the bags and tags. I'm glad the rest of my shows this year are indoors!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #93
Inking Addict

Quote:
I am currnetly working on 36 of these assembly line style. The velco closure being the last step. I started to put the velcro self adhesive on mine today. I am only using 1/2 circle for each one as someone on this site suggested. The package instructions on mine said to make sure surface is clean. I washed my hands before I started, to make sure there was no oil or hand lotion on my fingers and tried not to touch the area were the velco would go on the folders with my hands at any time. I rubbed the area with a clean cloth after ruffing up the surface of the paper with the tip of my paper piercer (my folders have a slick finish to them) and applied the velco. I was also very careful as not to let anything touch the adhesive side of the velco especially with my hands, as body oil I am sure would weaken the adhesive strength. I will test them tomorrow as per the instructions on the package said do not move as adhesive reaches its maximum strength in 24 hours. The instruction also stated high tempertures would weaken the strength of the adhesive. I have two differant packs of velcro and one pack had all the instructions and the other pack came without directions. Hopefully this will work. I only put the velco on four tonight to test it. If this doesn't work I will have to go to plan B. I have no idea what plan B is, so I pray this works!
I hope it works! I ended up buying a package of the lightest duty Velcro I could find, and that seemed to do the trick. The original package I had said light-duty, but it was VERY "sticky". The new velcro dots allow the folders to open much, much easier.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #94
Matboard Maniac

Default Guy Gift Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiejo View Post
Prices vary from show to show,as well as areas and anticipated shoppers. The show I do at work and at the legion are a older croud and employees. Year to year things are differant. I try to have guy themed stuff as no one else does, sports things sell well usually. Good luck.

Barbiejo, great idea about having "guy-themed" stuff. What type of items do you make for men? My DH said he did not think guys would use the comp journals or jumbo paperclip bookmarks or post-it pads. I am wondering which of my craft ideas I could make for men??? TIA!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:54 AM   #95
Matboard Maniac

Well, my “craft show” opportunity this weekend was pretty disappointing. I setup from 10:00-4:00 and sold about $45 worth of items. There are quite a few shops on the “square” in this small tourist town and this shop is about two blocks off the square. It seems to be a struggle to get people off the square to come down to the shop and even though the owner has signs at the corner, traffic is still light. The owner is still going to carry my items in her shop and I have still been selling some things each week, but doubt I will bother with setting up my tent outside again until the big BBQ festival in October. However, it WAS good experience to setup both of my tables and the suggestion about using bed risers under the table legs really made a difference in the table height. I am pleased with the "fullness" of my tables and will post pics when I get a chance.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #96
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty*Kate View Post
Barbiejo, great idea about having "guy-themed" stuff. What type of items do you make for men? My DH said he did not think guys would use the comp journals or jumbo paperclip bookmarks or post-it pads. I am wondering which of my craft ideas I could make for men??? TIA!
In addition to some male cards (birthday, baby) I have done some Post-It note holders using the Cosmo Cricket Boyfriend line. The adhesive chipboard pieces fit great on the covers and the paper just screams BOY!

For example, I have a couple using the cassette tape chipboard elements and I've used the small "block" adhesive stickers from Making Memories to spell out "rock on". I have another one with an old school atari controller that says "play on". then others with a converse shoe that just says "notes"
Old 09-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #97
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Well, my “craft show” opportunity this weekend was pretty disappointing. I setup from 10:00-4:00 and sold about $45 worth of items. There are quite a few shops on the “square” in this small tourist town and this shop is about two blocks off the square. It seems to be a struggle to get people off the square to come down to the shop and even though the owner has signs at the corner, traffic is still light. The owner is still going to carry my items in her shop and I have still been selling some things each week, but doubt I will bother with setting up my tent outside again until the big BBQ festival in October. However, it WAS good experience to setup both of my tables and the suggestion about using bed risers under the table legs really made a difference in the table height. I am pleased with the "fullness" of my tables and will post pics when I get a chance.
That's too bad. I think having traffic come by your setup is key, and without it, you have no one to sell to! How did you feel about an outside show? I am still cleaning the dust off my things!

I did get a woman who works in a resort gift shop say she thought my things would be great in it, and she took my card, so I am hoping that pans out and I can get some business that way. We'll see. I also had a woman from a church and a couple of other people take my cards for special orders. I am hoping they contact me!

Can't wait to see your pics!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #98
Insane Embellisher

Default subbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri'L View Post
Subbing for the future. I really need to stop writing down these ideas and start making things. My biggest show is Mid-October.
I know what you mean!
I am subbing also.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #99
Insane Embellisher

Do you have a link to GinaK for the tins?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:54 PM   #100
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyrancher View Post
It really depends on the shipping method and if the seller has its own broker if you get charged brokerage. I've ordered lots from the states and only charged it once, but boy was it a dilly of a charge- half the price of the product and through UPS. I've never been charged brokerage if I ship through the post office.
That is how my package was sent UPS and I was only over the $20 mark by $1! Oh well, hopefully my order from Verve is fine...that is coming through the mail and it too was just over $20.

My sometimes neglected blog
Old 09-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #101
Crimping Master

Quote:
Hey Kate,

I do outdoors and sports themed coasters,have done purple and gold as I live in Viking territory fall craft sales are the heart of football season,have done rival packer color stuff too. This year I bought spiral bound notebooks,small ones,and used up my scapbool paper with fishing,hunting,maps and ,...yes,...what looked like flannel. Covered front and back think they would be great to keep in the glove compartment of the car,will sell pad and a pen together, paid $1 for 6 and will charge $1 each. Am going to put it in my $1 area and list it with stocking stuffers. Have started putting suggestions on the sings of items as "what they are or could be for" Got some odd sized clip boards last summer and will do 2 or 3 with "guy" theme too as a honey do board,think that will go over well,...you never know. That's the hard part.
Did car stuff and that did not sell well in my area,sports sold better. I also have to watch the cost as a lot of folks are "on a budget" I did the top note purses and think I am going to do 2 in the purple and gold, would be able to use as gifts if they dont sell.
Sorry for the LONG responce
Old 09-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #102
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Yipee!! Doing the happy dance all around the craft room!! After following the above steps and waiting almost 24 hrs to test them, the adhesive on the back of the velcro is sticking to the altered file folders!! Yeah!! The package I used is called Designer's Choice velcro brand clear craft dots. I got them over a year ago and I think I purchased them at Wal-mart and they worked!

Last edited by dhb1281; 09-06-2010 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 09-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #103
Cardstock Collector

Hi everyone! Kinda new here.....but I just had a question.

I have been doing the notepads, with the jr. legal pads that you have cut at Staples. I went there today, to get some more and they won't cut the books in half anymore!!! UGH!!! Anyone else ever encountered this? Anyone know if Office Depot will do it??
Old 09-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #104
Embossing Fanatic

That doesn't make any sense. Isn't that the kind of work their printing department is supposed to do? I'll have to check at my local one. I think Office Depot does it too.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #105
Embossing Fanatic

Can anyone post pics of the mini portfolios you are all talking about? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #106
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dderbini View Post
That doesn't make any sense. Isn't that the kind of work their printing department is supposed to do? I'll have to check at my local one. I think Office Depot does it too.
Well thanks! I thought so too. I am so disappointed! I am not really near another Staples or Office Depot. Makes me mad....... Seems like everyone else has no problems. Grrrr.......
Old 09-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #107
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Here's a link to the other craft sale thread.
craft sale best sellers? Let's make a listing! Please

I posted pictures of some of the one's I'm making. They are page 11 post #4620, toward the bottom of the page.

I love making these. So easy. I'm making the folders first and then going back to embellish them otherwise I find I spend too much time picking out the embellishments instead of making the folders.

There is also instructions and a video posted in the resources section.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #108
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraphappy:) View Post
Hi everyone! Kinda new here.....but I just had a question.

I have been doing the notepads, with the jr. legal pads that you have cut at Staples. I went there today, to get some more and they won't cut the books in half anymore!!! UGH!!! Anyone else ever encountered this? Anyone know if Office Depot will do it??
Go to Kinkos. I take so many that they know me now. Between the junior legal pads and cutting cardstock for cards I do a ton of business with them.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #109
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I have 2 pics in my gallery of one of mine. The ones I am making for the craft shows are minus the versa mark image on the inside. I have also added a small pack of sticky notes on the left side pocket. I haven't decided about embelishments for the ones I am selling yet. Will wait til I have them all assembled and then decide what I am going to do on the outside if anything. I have a total of 16 completely finished including the matching rsvp. Starting to get a little bored doing the same project so will finish the rest later.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #110
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflathem View Post
Go to Kinkos. I take so many that they know me now. Between the junior legal pads and cutting cardstock for cards I do a ton of business with them.
Perfect....I guess I'll have to head to Kinkos......thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:31 PM   #111
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitysmom View Post
For the smaller items, I will also be using the white and red lunch bags - I have my daughter stamp them for me. I place an address label with my store/contact information on the bag as well.

For the larger purchases, I will be using some plastic shopping bags (with handle cut-out) that I bought on etsy. I have a much larger sticker with my store and contact information that I will apply to the front. I also stamped a little flower on each label. SO easy and inexpensive!

Here is a quick pix:
Attachment 195196

Hope that helps!
Beth
Wow! Totally love your idea! I think I'm going to do that! TFS!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #112
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiejo View Post
Hey Kate,

I do outdoors and sports themed coasters,have done purple and gold as I live in Viking territory fall craft sales are the heart of football season,have done rival packer color stuff too. This year I bought spiral bound notebooks,small ones,and used up my scapbool paper with fishing,hunting,maps and ,...yes,...what looked like flannel. Covered front and back think they would be great to keep in the glove compartment of the car,will sell pad and a pen together, paid $1 for 6 and will charge $1 each. Am going to put it in my $1 area and list it with stocking stuffers. Have started putting suggestions on the sings of items as "what they are or could be for" Got some odd sized clip boards last summer and will do 2 or 3 with "guy" theme too as a honey do board,think that will go over well,...you never know. That's the hard part.
Did car stuff and that did not sell well in my area,sports sold better. I also have to watch the cost as a lot of folks are "on a budget" I did the top note purses and think I am going to do 2 in the purple and gold, would be able to use as gifts if they dont sell.
Sorry for the LONG responce
What's a top die note purse? Do you have a picture or a link??

MY GALLERY
Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #113
Glitter Queen

Thanks for the information on where to get the folders. Does anyone who uses the "sets" at Dollar Tree have pictures of their file note holders?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #114
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Yahoo to grammieT

[QUOTE=scraphappy;17271936]Hi everyone! Kinda new here.....but I just had a question.

I have been doing the notepads, with the jr. legal pads that you have cut at Staples. I went there today, to get some more and they won't cut the books in half anymore!!! UGH!!! Anyone else ever encountered this? Anyone know if Office Depot will do it??[/QUOTE
My local printing company did my cutting for a very small fee and was real friendly with it and offered to get me the paper cheaper than Staples....try to look around for a locally owned shop and see if they will do it for you....always nice to help other local seller's IMO.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #115
SuG
Forum Fanatic

subbing for now.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #116
Matboard Maniac

Default Top Die Purse?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
What's a top die note purse? Do you have a picture or a link??
I would love to see a picture too. Don't know what a "top die" is.

imlynne
Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #117
Matboard Maniac

I think it means making a purse-shaped gift card holder from the "Top Note" Sizzix die cartridge. Here is an example: Krafting Kreations: Purse Gift Card Holder HTH!
Old 09-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #118
Matboard Maniac

Thank you Kate. And thanks for the tutorial.
Lynne
Old 09-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #119
Inking Addict

subbing! Great idea's everyone!
Old 09-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #120
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Kate! I have the die but I guess I missed the gift card holder idea. Too many ideas! I'm drowning!!!

MY GALLERY