Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree601Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #801
Pearl-ExPert

All the best to all those who have craft fairs this weekend! I'm planning to go to a fair this weekend to check out people's display and stuff.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #802
Stazon Splitcoast

Lots of great ideas on this thread. What are pumpkin kisses?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #803
Glitter Queen

Default Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by smriti View Post
ok ladies I must admit that I was sleeping all the time when you were discussing all-things-table because I thought my shows are providing the table. Turns out that one does but the other doesn't. So waking up from my sleep, I see this table at Home Depot Lifetime Products White Granite 6 Ft. Fold-in-half Table - 25011.0 at The Home Depot but I'm thinking how would one use bed risers with it? What kind of tables do you get?

I just bought a 5' folding table (hard plastic) at Walmart yesterday. Plenty heavy for my needs. They were in the Sporting Goods department and were $34. Seems that the Home Depot one is an awful lot of money for 1 foot more!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #804
Crimping Master

Default TOPPERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Beautiful work, Diane! What a brilliant idea to use black for the toppers. It coordinates so well with the book binding, and solves the "matching paper" problem.
Thanks everyone for the feedback on the black toppers. I hummed and hawed for a long time about these because I didn't have enough coordinating paper left. Also, I tend to try to do just a few of each design to give people lots of choice, so was stuck on a topper that would match all.

I ended up using cheap black and white cardstock from Michaels (2 packs of 50 for $6). The "Bloom" stamp was even from Michaels!

I also did this one in white with black for post-it note holders:
Attached Thumbnails
post-notes-pen-packages-3-.jpg   post-notes-pen-packages-4-.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #805
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smriti View Post
Diane, love the way you added the curling ribbon to your packaging. It looks so appealing!
So nice to hear this feedback because I was wondering if it makes them look cheap! lol (curling ribbon is cheaper to buy but I like the look)
Old 10-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #806
Pearl-ExPert

Good Luck this weekend all !!!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #807
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dderbini View Post
I've been in the craft business for 20 years and I have never heard of anyone using bed risers for their tables. Seems to me that might be a safety issue making the table unstable.
I started using the bed risers last year after I saw a lady using them at a jewelry show. She actually had what she called table risers but when I checked them out online they were more expensive than the bed risers I found at Bed Bath and Beyond store for $5 a set of 4. I only do indoor shows and they are very stable. One of the shows I do is in a school gym and am required to make sure nothing scratches their floor, so I cut out rubber squares (like the material used for nonskid patio table place mats) to put under each riser and smaller round rubber ones to put inside the top of the bed riser and then put the table legs on them. No slipping no wiggling. Works great!! I stack them inside each other and put them in a grocery shopping tote instead of their original boxes so they take up less room when I am packing the car for the shows. I love the extra height of the tables and so does my back!!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #808
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback on the black toppers. I hummed and hawed for a long time about these because I didn't have enough coordinating paper left. Also, I tend to try to do just a few of each design to give people lots of choice, so was stuck on a topper that would match all.

I ended up using cheap black and white cardstock from Michaels (2 packs of 50 for $6). The "Bloom" stamp was even from Michaels!

I also did this one in white with black for post-it note holders:
Love your post it note holders and toppers are great!!
ps my name is Diane too.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #809
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Teacher View Post
I just bought a 5' folding table (hard plastic) at Walmart yesterday. Plenty heavy for my needs. They were in the Sporting Goods department and were $34. Seems that the Home Depot one is an awful lot of money for 1 foot more!
I have 4 6 foot fold in half tables with handles and 2 5 foot tables like the ones you just bought. I really like the 5 foot ones because they are not as heavy to lift in and out of the back of my suv. The 6 ft ones always make my back hurt lifting them up into the vehicle. The 5 foot ones are also easier to carry alone. I have to use a dolly on wheels to get the 6 foot ones into shows just due to the extra weight that one foot makes. The 5ft ones also come in handy when your booth has enough space for an extra table but not as big as the 6 ft ones. I think you will really like yours.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #810
Compulsive Stamper

Over here you tend to get the table supplied for you as the fairs are in church halls, schools or council buildings. I bought a table the other day as I'm starting to take my stall into some nursing homes etc and thought it would be useful. But I've just taken a stall at a fair where the cost was 25 for the day but if I bring my own table I get it for 15! That's some discount!

On the nursing home thing, I thought about the idea last year but just didn't follow it through. I made a bunch of quick stamped only cards and sent one along with a letter to each of the nursing homes in the county (44 of them) offering to bring my stall to them. I had 3 replies - better than I expected! I've been to one and did pretty well for a couple of hours and I'm going back in the beginning of December. It's fab as in there's no stall fees etc. I've not said I'll make a dontation to anything but if I make good money at any I will.

Now to do the same idea with the sheltered houseing complexes. Any more ideas?
Old 10-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #811
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to NancyL2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstout928 View Post
Whew! I just finished my 5-part series on craft fair tips and I'm wrapping things up with a special creative contest. If you are participating in a craft fair, go to my blog and add your best project to be entered to win some Holiday mini bling.

The blog posts on craft fair tips are a little further down on my blog, so scroll down if you are interested. Each day, I also featured a special craft fair project and included a few video tutorials.
Just found your blog...love it!

Old 10-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #812
Hardware Hotshot

Just got home from my set up. I took a few pictures with my phone which I'm attaching here. Sorry they aren't very clear. Lots of knitted items, preserves, some jewelry, but no paper crafts that I saw! I got lots of nice comments from the other vendors so I'm hoping that's a good sign of things to come. I had a friend help me set everything up. It's a 6' table and for some reason I was expecting an 8' table, but it's no big deal. Fingers crossed that we get lots of traffic! It was pouring rain while I was unloading the car and its supposed to continue into tomorrow.

I have plenty of extra inventory stored under the table as well and will refill things as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
full-table.jpg   left-table.jpg   right-table.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #813
Die Cut Diva

Looks good. I love the shelf on the right side. Great size - not too big but holds a lot!

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #814
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsruss View Post
Just got home from my set up. I took a few pictures with my phone which I'm attaching here. Sorry they aren't very clear. Lots of knitted items, preserves, some jewelry, but no paper crafts that I saw! I got lots of nice comments from the other vendors so I'm hoping that's a good sign of things to come. I had a friend help me set everything up. It's a 6' table and for some reason I was expecting an 8' table, but it's no big deal. Fingers crossed that we get lots of traffic! It was pouring rain while I was unloading the car and its supposed to continue into tomorrow.

I have plenty of extra inventory stored under the table as well and will refill things as needed.
Everything looks great!! Very nice display! Good luck to you and everyone having a show tomorrow!! Have fun!!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #815
Rubber Obsessor

Default Help! Lost glue!

I made the cutest little 2x2 tile magnets. Im ready to stick on the magnets but I can't find my E6000 glue. I don't have gorilla glue either. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Maria
Old 10-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #816
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Yahoo to whitney56

My first craft show is tomorrow - so excited. I will post this weekend, what I took and what I sold! Love this thread - you all have inspired me!
Old 10-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #817
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinrealtor View Post
I made the cutest little 2x2 tile magnets. Im ready to stick on the magnets but I can't find my E6000 glue. I don't have gorilla glue either. Any other suggestions? Thanks, Maria
hot glue gun???
Old 10-16-2010, 03:55 AM   #818
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have another craft show this weekend too! It looks like a lot of us do

Good luck everyone!!!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:26 AM   #819
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsruss View Post

Your table looks fab!

Good luck to everyone with a fair today & tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:58 AM   #820
Rubber Obsessor

Default Need glue

Thanks, hot glue worked great! Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by laadeedaa View Post
hot glue gun???
Old 10-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #821
Cardstock Collector

Default My First Craft Fair

I am participating in my first craft fair. It isn't a big fair. I am just trying to figure out how much stuff to bring. Any ideas? Thank you.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #822
Hardware Hotshot

Well, today was OK, but a little disappointing at the same time. I was surrounded by ladies who have done this fair in the past. They said they couldn't get over how slow it was. Said they'd never seen it like that. There really weren't a lot of customers around, but I did manage to clear $67. Not too bad for 4 hours. I sold quite a few M&M sticks, paperclip bookmarks, a set of coasters, just one journal. I can post more detailed results tomorrow.

On the bright side, my mom has a bunch of my inventory as well and participated in a show today. She managed $126, so overall not a bad day for me. She's in a different province. The things she sold were completely different from what I sold. Just goes to show you can't predict what people will want to buy!

The ladies behind me (two sisters with knitted items) did give me the heads up on a fair next Sunday. I'm going to call and sign up for that one. They said its great for my price point.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #823
Pearl-ExPert

We had our first fair last night and it was a bust. Sold $18 worth of stuff. There were people but nobody was buying anything. Our booth sold the most. I wasn't expecting much because the advertising for the fair was really crappy (they didn't say that crafts would be there, just a "family fun night" so people didn't come to shop).

We have three more coming up that I think will do MUCH better. One of the big things people seemed to like were the post it note holders and the kids color-me cards. So I hope at the next one a lot more will sell. Our other fairs have had really great advertising so I think people will be there to shop and not just wander around.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #824
Compulsive Stamper

Shame about the fairs. Just shows how good advertising can make or break a fair for everyone.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #825
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Yahoo to whitney56

My first craft show

M&M candy stix $1.50, only sold 6 or 7
Pumpkin Poop $1.00, sold one
4-pack of notecards, $10, sold one
Post-it-note holders (purse) $3.00, sold 20-23 (I personalized them and 15 of the sold were "college football" colors)
Post-it-note acrylic desk $5.00, sold 1
Greeting cards $2.75 or 4 $10, sold 4
Matchbox Drac and Franky, $2, sold 1

I sold enough to pay for my new canopy $45, booth fee $20, and $35 in my pocket. If you subtract how much I spent on supplies to make the candy stixs - I end up with zero.

Would I do it again? No. Was it worth it, Yes/No....I has always thought about having a booth; cross that off my bucket list. I can't set up the canopy or table - I had to depend on hubby and son....and that wasn't any fun for them.

I now have tons of M&M stiks to give to friends! AND my craft room is a disaster!!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #826
Crimping Master

Default Show results

I had my first show of the season today. It was the first time I have ever done a "fall" show and it was less busy than the xmas shows, but I kind of expected that. Overall, it was a pretty good day. Seemed slow but I made $200 after the booth fee.

There were two other vendors selling cards for cheaper than I was, so I didn't sell any. I refuse to lower my price when mine were nicer than theirs! LOL

I sold alot of my glass beaded bookmarks and also glass beaded magnets, which are both the usual big sellers. I was surprised that I didn't sell one altered comp book though (small or large size). Also surprising to me, I sold only a couple of the M&M stix.

On the bright side, it gave me practice with setting up my table also.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #827
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney56 View Post
My first craft show

M&M candy stix $1.50, only sold 6 or 7
Pumpkin Poop $1.00, sold one
4-pack of notecards, $10, sold one
Post-it-note holders (purse) $3.00, sold 20-23 (I personalized them and 15 of the sold were "college football" colors)
Post-it-note acrylic desk $5.00, sold 1
Greeting cards $2.75 or 4 $10, sold 4
Matchbox Drac and Franky, $2, sold 1

I sold enough to pay for my new canopy $45, booth fee $20, and $35 in my pocket. If you subtract how much I spent on supplies to make the candy stixs - I end up with zero.

Would I do it again? No. Was it worth it, Yes/No....I has always thought about having a booth; cross that off my bucket list. I can't set up the canopy or table - I had to depend on hubby and son....and that wasn't any fun for them.

I now have tons of M&M stiks to give to friends! AND my craft room is a disaster!!
Don't give up! You sound as if you did pretty well to me for a first fair. Think of all the stock you have ready for the next fair. Plus next time you won't need to cover your canpoy so you will be $90 in your pocket! As christmas approaches the fairs will get busier.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #828
Rubber Obsessor

For those that print out your own calendars for the coaster calendars, do you print them out on printer paper or cardstock? I like it both ways but not sure what the majority thinks.

Altered by Jenn
Old 10-17-2010, 08:09 AM   #829
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn21404 View Post
For those that print out your own calendars for the coaster calendars, do you print them out on printer paper or cardstock? I like it both ways but not sure what the majority thinks.
I would think that the printer paper would be easier to tear off the brads?

ALL NEW!! As of 6/20/11 http://stamperstacey.blogspot.com/
Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #830
Insane Embellisher

Diane,

It sounds like you had a pretty successful show!

I have seen your glass beaded bookmarks and magnets and think I am going to have to try them, since they were such good sellers.

Thanks for the report on what is selling for you.

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I had my first show of the season today. It was the first time I have ever done a "fall" show and it was less busy than the xmas shows, but I kind of expected that. Overall, it was a pretty good day. Seemed slow but I made $200 after the booth fee.

There were two other vendors selling cards for cheaper than I was, so I didn't sell any. I refuse to lower my price when mine were nicer than theirs! LOL

I sold alot of my glass beaded bookmarks and also glass beaded magnets, which are both the usual big sellers. I was surprised that I didn't sell one altered comp book though (small or large size). Also surprising to me, I sold only a couple of the M&M stix.

On the bright side, it gave me practice with setting up my table also.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #831
Hardware Hotshot

OK, I've had time to sit and figure out what sold for me. I sold two magnetic calendars, two flower pens, one set of coasters, one composition book, one photo album, one necklace, thirteen M&M sticks, eleven paperclip bookmarks, two clothespin magnets and four cocoa cones.

I did also make contact with a lady who does candy buffets for weddings and she was very interested in the M&M sticks. She took my card and asked if I'd be interested in working with her on wedding favors with the personalized M&Ms that she sources. If that pans out it could be a nice little side business during busy wedding times! I'm going to make some sample wedding tags that could be attached to the sticks.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #832
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn21404 View Post

I use copy paper for the tear away kind and the ones where each month is on their own page. I didn't see any difference when I used cardstock for the calendars and for the tear away the thinner paper would work better.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #833
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I did a craft show yesterday at the community center of a senior mobile home park. There was around 15 different vendors with most of them selling jewelry. There was 1 other lady selling cards but they were photo cards - not paper crafted. After the booth fee, lunch and buying homemade tamales for dinner I came out ahead $51. There wasn't many people, so I am happy with the small profit I made.

I sold all 30 of the M&M candy sticks I made. I sold 4 sets of stamped tile coasters and sold 9 or 10 post-it note holders. I also got a tip of another craft show the middle of November that I'm going to participate in. All-in-all, it was a great day!

I love reading what everyone had sell at their shows. It's interesting to me to see that what is popular for one person is not for another!

My next show is on October 30th, so I've got a little bit of time to replenish my Post-It note holders and make some new candy sticks!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #834
Die Cut Diva

I have a question about pricing. I make teddy bears out of old recycled fur coats. I've only made them as gifts before, but I have a few old mink coats that I want to use so they don't just sit stored in my closet (takes up too much space) - I've had them for about 8 years now and want to use them. I was thinking of making two sizes - 12" & 18". Do you think these types of items would be too "rich" for a craft fair. I was thinking of charging $75 for the 12" bear and $100 for the 18" bear. They're quite a bit of work to make and I would only have time to make probably 2 of each size before my Christmas show. Any opinions would be appreciated.

ETA: I only do cash sales, so not a lot of people would have that much cash at a craft show, but there is an ATM in the building where the show is held.

Last edited by cat_woman; 10-17-2010 at 11:32 AM..
Old 10-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #835
Forum Fanatic

great ideas everyone!~
Old 10-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #836
Matboard Maniac

hi everyone - it's sunday evening here and I'm going over my show of yesterday - it was a very established show (41 years), but very little traffic...mostly 'lookers' - after my booth fee ($50.), lunch and some homemade cupcakes, my profit was about 58.00 - not a total waste of time, but disappointing - the crafter next to me had done this show for years and said she never saw it so poorly attended - I have seen BILLBOARDS along the turnpike advertising this show, but found out from a worker that several corporate sponsors either pulled out or reduced their funding...hence less advertising ;-(
on a brighter note, my layered stars and funny post-its were a hit and I sold more scrabble tiles than I thought I would...several young girls were stringing several together to make a 'message'...hummm, that might be a new selling point???
hope many of you did better this weekend
carole
PS - the 'bed risers' make a world of difference, many people commented on how easy it was to see my stuff...good investment ladies
Old 10-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #837
Insane Embellisher

Back to report on my Sat. show...I didn't sell much...but I didn't have a booth fee this time so all in all...it was profit. I made about $45 and had a great time. Sold a tile coaster set, a few tile magnets, a few bookmarks, and 8 cards.

here are some of my pics: craft fair - a set on Flickr

I wanted to share a great link for those thinking of taking credit cards... https://squareup.com/
Old 10-18-2010, 04:25 AM   #838
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Table Cloth for Craft Fair

I want to use a black table cloth for my craft shows that won't wrinkle easily. I have two 6' tables and one 8' table. I'd like the material to hang down to the floor. What do you suggest? Some type of travel knit, maybe? And where is a reasonable place online to purchase it? Thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #839
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_woman View Post
I have a question about pricing. I make teddy bears out of old recycled fur coats. I've only made them as gifts before, but I have a few old mink coats that I want to use so they don't just sit stored in my closet (takes up too much space) - I've had them for about 8 years now and want to use them. I was thinking of making two sizes - 12" & 18". Do you think these types of items would be too "rich" for a craft fair. I was thinking of charging $75 for the 12" bear and $100 for the 18" bear. They're quite a bit of work to make and I would only have time to make probably 2 of each size before my Christmas show. Any opinions would be appreciated.

ETA: I only do cash sales, so not a lot of people would have that much cash at a craft show, but there is an ATM in the building where the show is held.
Don't you hate when people say "it depends"? But you know, it really does. Your bears sound so unique and appealing, and I sew, so I know how much work a stuffed bear is to make, let alone out of real fur.

There are a couple of large upscale craft shows every year in my city, which is the state capital, and has a large metro population. Mink bears at that price would probably sell at those shows, but not at the usual craft fairs/Christmas bazaars.

Last year I did a large show at a church, held every year and well advertised and attended. The gal next to me had wonderful purses which she made from the tops of fancy tooled leather cowboy boots. They were so cute, different and well made. She had them priced at $75, which is not a bad price for a leather bag, plus they were one of a kind. Everyone picked them up and oohed and aahhed, but she did not sell any.

She said her dd who works at a large company in NYC had taken some to her work at a large corporation, and she sold about 10 of them there, and people asked for more.

So it always comes down to your market, the people attending, and the type of gifts/items that people are expecting to find at the show, etc.

Don't know if you are interested in doing Etsy, but your bears sound like the kind of thing that might sell well there. There are lots of doting grandmothers who keep Etsy in business buying expensive toys.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #840
Rubber Obsessor

I love this thread. I so miss doing the fairs - had to take last year off and this year too. One day, I'll be back out there, so thank you all for sharing your experiences and letting me live thru your lives...