Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 05-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #7201
FiP
Matboard Maniac

I sold my craft at a (not crafty) market yesterday. I sell cards for $2 or 6 for $10. They are relatively simple as you described. I sold $98 worth of cards and $42 in other items. (The day was much less successful than usual). Thank goodness for my cards selling, or I'd have been very disappointed! I MIGHT put them up to $2.50 next year, but they usually make up about 1/2 my sales and I'm reluctant to increase the price. Sometimes I sell quite unadorned sets of 10 for $10. This year I also made sets of 8 in either a decorated box or cardstock handbag. I thought they'd sell well, but 0 so far. Mothers' Day here is next Sunday. Had priced at $12-$14 for those. Give it a go - what price would you be happy to get??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
AZKitchencreations likes this post.
Unread 05-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #7202
Gabfest Goddess

I have a friend who does an Open House twice a year in her home. She sells Longaberger items that she no longer wants. Another woman does jewelry, and one does Pampered Chef. Then there is a woman who makes quilted handmade bags that are like Vera Bradley. She and I are the only crafters. I sell cards and wreaths.
Anyway, most are pretty decorated; not simple cards. I sell them for $2.50. Sometimes I'll offer buy four, get one free, which basically makes them $2.00 each. Sometimes I only sell five or ten, but last time, I sold about 30, so I was tickled. That's just money for me to spend on more supplies.
PikkuLilla and AZKitchencreations like this post.
Unread 05-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #7203
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to lori92760

Some of my cards to an hour or two and a few more. I could never sell them for $2. You go to target and buy a Papyrus card for $6 , if I am going to give them away I will do it to the people I love. I think you ladies are selling yourself short.
cropgal58, Louisa May, buteo and 1 others like this post.
Unread 05-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #7204
FiP
Matboard Maniac

I am often told I should charge more than $2/card, but I also hear that my cards are 'well-priced'. As I don't go to 'handmade markets', I'm happy to sell for $2 (I know people charge and pay more there, but it would cost me loads in fees to sell at those events). As I make hundreds of cards a year (coz I love it!), I'd rather sell them than stockpile them (& I already give a lot as gifts/donations). I sometimes put more time and cost into larger square cards or items like decorated notebooks and do charge more for them - but don't sell many...
Kduff, PikkuLilla and AZKitchencreations like this post.
Unread 05-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #7205
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for all the input so far! I was thinking around $2-3 for cards so it seems to go in line with several of you. I sell many other items and average around $2000 a show, so my goal of making cards (if I choose to do it) at this point is to use up the tons of paper/cardstock I have. So, I would not have much expense in materials. Another factor for me is that no one makes handmade cards at the shows I do, so I think there is an opening for them.

I plan to do what I usually do when introducing a new product - make some, see how they go and then go from there. The cards would not take nearly the amount of time as most other things I make do, so it seems like I should at least try them.

Thanks again for all your responses - love the input!
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Unread 05-08-2017, 12:22 PM   #7206
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Gosh, I think you should absolutely make some cards!
PikkuLilla and AZKitchencreations like this post.
Unread 05-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #7207
Gabfest Goddess

Oh my gosh. Who wouldn't love to make $2000? Do you bring a trailer for all of your stuff?
Unread 05-08-2017, 01:26 PM   #7208
Embossing Fanatic

I've been doing it for 10 years now and only do 3 shows, through the same organization each year. They have one in Oct, Nov, Dec. I usually make the $2000 at the Oct show, then the Nov show is at a new location and just getting a following, but the Dec is usually around $1500-$1800. It's taken me a while to figure out what people like, how much to make etc.

No, thankfully I don't have to deal with a trailer. I've finally figured out how to condense the stuff and prepare it for easy set up for my helpers, only in the past couple years. It does take about 3 SUV type vehicles!

Thankfully, I have wonderful friends who love me and help me set up and tear down.
lynnewithane and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 05-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #7209
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Have you or can you provide us with a picture of your stall?
Unread 05-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #7210
Embossing Fanatic

I did last year, I just went back and found it, but don't know how to direct you there? It's on "page 171" of this thread, dated April 16, 2016, about half way down. I hope you can see it from there.
Unread 05-08-2017, 01:33 PM   #7211
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
I am often told I should charge more than $2/card, but I also hear that my cards are 'well-priced'. As I don't go to 'handmade markets', I'm happy to sell for $2 (I know people charge and pay more there, but it would cost me loads in fees to sell at those events). As I make hundreds of cards a year (coz I love it!), I'd rather sell them than stockpile them (& I already give a lot as gifts/donations). I sometimes put more time and cost into larger square cards or items like decorated notebooks and do charge more for them - but don't sell many...
I agree, my general cards are $2.50 unless it's involved $5 and cheaper for 5 or bulk etc. I make a lot of cards, I donate a lot of cards, sell and also do a few group booths and I'd rather sell a little cheaper and recoup my materials at least, if I make extra so be it.
I'd go the extra and make your cards $2.50 you can still do your bulk ones cheap.
Unread 05-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #7212
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Thanks Tammy. I now remember looking at them last year! What I've found here in Australia, is that an indoor space is generally very small. The outdoor markets are more generous, but then the car gets filled with a marquee, tables & chairs along with all my goodies for setting up at 6am usually! At Christmas-time my daughter will also bring her car to carry the overflow of items.
Your product is lovely and I'm sure whatever cards you make will do well too!
Unread 05-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #7213
Gabfest Goddess

I remember as well, especially the soda can ornaments.
You make quite a variety of items, in fact, a variety of crafts.
I run a craft fair at which my sister and daughter sell our crafts. My sister thought we had too many different ways items, and feels we should narrow it down. I feel like variety works for you.
Anyone else? Do you make a variety of items, or stick to four or five?
Unread 05-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #7214
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Lynne, I too feel that variety is covering more bases and there's a better chance of appealing to someone's tastes. On the other hand, it does mean my display is relatively busy with lots to look at, and I do wonder if it's overwhelming to many and puts them off. I probably have a hundred things, most with only 1/2 dozen up to 20.
I have a small spinner on a table and a large one on the ground. Love them, because they hold so many things which would otherwise be on the table - the downside is that hardly anyone looks/spins them...
artandartifacts likes this post.
Unread 05-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #7215
Embossing Fanatic

I think it just depends on many factors. Over the years, I've adapted and grown in the variety of items I make. It also depends on the show, the traffic, type and volume of customers etc.

Last year I rented 3 spaces (10x12) and it worked very well. I have a few basic "rules" for my craft business.

I only make things that I enjoy making. Sometimes customers have asked me for special orders or I've tried something and it may sell well, but if I don't enjoy the creative process, I just don't make it anymore.

I only make things that I would buy myself or give to someone else. Some people have suggested things for me to make, but if I wouldn't buy it or give it to someone, I don't make it.

So, the variety works for me, but my booth area is quite large and since I use the grid wall for display, it's kind of like a "shop within a shop". When I first started, I only made things "from or for the kitchen", hence my business name. However, as my business expanded, the items are no longer just from or for the kitchen. I considered changing my business name, but by then, I had a customer base who knew me by that name.

So, again, the variety works for me but I think everyone needs to consider their own style and what they enjoy making. I've always enjoyed a variety of crafts.
Unread 05-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #7216
Gabfest Goddess

I think your rule is a good one. If you would buy it or give it to someone, it's a good item. You are right that the large space makes a difference as well. Your display is very professional.
I too enjoy a variety of crafts.
I got the knit and crochet bug with the ruffle scarves. I have quite a supply. Now it seems that everyone at a craft fair also has scarves. I've given some as gifts. This year, I am thinking of making a sign "Free scarf with $25 purchase".
Unread 05-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #7217
Gabfest Goddess

Tammy, where did you get your gridwall? If I went to
Home Depot, I don't think I'd know where to look.
Unread 05-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #7218
Embossing Fanatic

I crochet most every day. It's relaxing for me and many of the items I make aren't complicated so not stressful to work on. Yes, I did some of those ruffle scarves too but it seemed that everyone jumped on that bandwagon! I think your plan is a good one!

I am always amused at the "copy cats" at the craft shows but I've found that I have pretty loyal customers. I'm sure most everyone is like me and buy supplies year round at discount, so that you can charge a reasonable amount and still make a profit.

While I am not an expert, I think that long term success in the craft market comes from creating "consumable" items. While I do make fudge and many papercraft type "treat" items, the consumable products I mean are household items that people love and use, but need to replace.

My biggest sellers, year in and year out, are my original items I started making 10 years ago - the crochet top dishtowels, crochet dishcloths and crochet nylon scrubbies. Also, all the pet items I make - because pets are hairy and chew up and destroy toys, so people like to buy new ones.

I also sell a lot of crochet hats, especially for children, which children out grow. So, to me, that's the key. Also, the gift items, like stocking stuffer items. I also sell TONS of gift card holders, which are "consumable". I'm thinking the cards may do well to, if I can make time for them this year.

Many frustrated crafters I have known that try the craft shows make beautiful items but they are frequently decorative items for the house - beautiful wreathes, hand painted wood items etc. The problem with that is that once people buy a wreath (for example), they expect to use if for many years.

The crafters at the shows I participate in who do well year after year, seem to make a variety and have those consumable items within their specialty. So, the women that paint amazing wooden decorative items also do small Christmas ornaments. One group who sells several thousands of dollars worth of goods at each show, sell the decorative items but sell TONS of personalized Christmas ornaments. They are wooden ornaments that they write names on with sharpies. They have an excellent system and people love their items. Many people buy a new ornament every year, with their child or grandchilds name on it. The ornaments will usually reflect the child or persons interest, like soccer or ballet, etc.

As I said, for now, I really enjoy it. When I don't or it becomes stressful, I'll stop.

I really love the ideas and inspiration from this thread on here. I remember when I first found it, I started at the beginning, page 1 and read through every single posting! It took me a while, but it was full of ideas! Thanks so much to all of you for sharing!

Last edited by AZKitchencreations; 05-08-2017 at 07:10 PM..
maryp, Card Maker 01 and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 05-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #7219
Embossing Fanatic

Lynne,

I got mine at a local store in Tucson, AZ called, Tucson Store Fixtures. They carry a variety of display items for businesses. I don't know if Home Depot or other stores like that carry it.

Years ago, after doing my first show with tables, I realized that I needed to "go vertical" with my crochet top towels. I love it and would highly recommend it. It adapts to almost any item. They sell shelves and baskets for it which I use some of but also use inexpensive baskets from the dollar tree. It's also perfect for hanging signs on - just use large safety pins!

I use the 2 x 6 foot panels but it comes in other sizes. They are very sturdy yet light enough that I can easily carry them. I typically use a "V" shape, simply using zip ties to hold two panels together. Some people will stand it up between tables.

If you are able to find it and buy it, I highly recommend the black. It comes in white, black and chrome. The white shows dirt very easily and the chrome seems to not display items as well. Items seem to really stand out on the black.

The panels I buy are around $25 each. I have bought more over time as I have expanded. I'm guessing if you had to order them, you might be able to get free shipping somewhere?
Unread 05-09-2017, 03:37 AM   #7220
Gabfest Goddess

Thank you for all of the info, Tammy. I'm going to see what I can find in R.E.M.'s of a grid wall.
Your observations of consumable items makes a lot of sense. I've avoided the whole candy thing because I wouldn't want to have leftovers, but I may reconsider.
Unread 05-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #7221
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
Some of my cards to an hour or two and a few more. I could never sell them for $2. You go to target and buy a Papyrus card for $6 , if I am going to give them away I will do it to the people I love. I think you ladies are selling yourself short.
I know people like a bargain, but I know I couldn't sell (most) of my cards that cheap! Maybe (if I decide to start selling seriously) I should streamline my process and create in batches. I do have a few one of a kind cards listed on eBay. You ever search for "handmade cards" on eBay? I especially like the ones from China where the pictures show the back of the card adorned with a printed company name and barcode!!!
Unread 05-21-2017, 01:16 PM   #7222
Glitter Queen

I did my first event last month. I made $40 mostly with notepad folders I made.

It really wasn't a crafty event. There were some crafters there, but I doubt they did any better.
Unread 05-22-2017, 06:03 AM   #7223
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinesense View Post
I know people like a bargain, but I know I couldn't sell (most) of my cards that cheap! Maybe (if I decide to start selling seriously) I should streamline my process and create in batches. I do have a few one of a kind cards listed on eBay. You ever search for "handmade cards" on eBay? I especially like the ones from China where the pictures show the back of the card adorned with a printed company name and barcode!!!
You made me look. Took me awhile, as everything was showing up in Philippine currency. No idea why.
Anyway, I searched handmade cards. I'm seeing a lot of things like 6 cards for $6.99 with free shipping. 7 cards for $7.99 with free shipping. All with matching envelopes. That is mighty cheap indeed. I guess everyone is trying to undercut the next one. Didn't see any from China, but I didn't look for long.
Unread 05-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #7224
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnewithane View Post
You made me look. Took me awhile, as everything was showing up in Philippine currency. No idea why.
Anyway, I searched handmade cards. I'm seeing a lot of things like 6 cards for $6.99 with free shipping. 7 cards for $7.99 with free shipping. All with matching envelopes. That is mighty cheap indeed. I guess everyone is trying to undercut the next one. Didn't see any from China, but I didn't look for long.
Yeah. I just looked on eBay under "handmade cards" but I entered "lowest price plus shipping". The second one in line was from China, a set of 10 heart cards for .99 cents with free shipping. In 10 pictures listed, not one was of the back of the cards! Maybe they read this thread in China! Lol! Let's just hope that some people still appreciate quality work. So now that I'm on a rant, I will also say that I have been told from someone on SCS that they no longer send RAK cards because the recipients don't thank them very often. I find that very sad! If we do get a RAK from a fellow SCSer let's remember to thank them! After all, we know what hard work goes into these fabulous cards!!! (Ok, climbing off of my soap box now...)
artandartifacts likes this post.
Unread 05-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #7225
Stampin' Fool

Hello fellow crafters,

Gridwalls usually have to be purchased from specialty store display vendors. Do an internet search for "store display grid wall" and you should find one. Also, try Craigslist or a local buy n sell page. I have found spinners that way and often see gridwalls or the slatwall style posted.

I purchased the shorter size that can fit on table top corners. Mostly because I could not fit the floor length one in my vehicle! I like them.
When I have enough room and an end aisle booth, I will take shape 2 into v-formation and display on the floor at end of a table. It still reaches above table height and is good height for viewing items.

When I have enough table coverings with me, sometimes I will drape the black cloth behind the grid wall. It makes it easier to see the product.
I have attached a pic of when I did this using an L table shape.
This is my preferred set-up because our local shows are costly and do not usually give a large space. Often, it is just a 2x6 table you are paying for with 2 chairs behind it for minimum $120+ on a 2 day weekend.
10x10 is the biggest unless you buy 2 spaces for trade shows.
Attached Thumbnails
img_8634a.jpg  
JBgreendawn and PikkuLilla like this post.
Unread 06-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #7226
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Lori, I agree. I just started selling cards for $3 each. Just wondering what size your cards are. Thanks, Maria
Unread 06-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #7227
Insane Embellisher

This card and this card for instance took hours for me. Some one just asked me last night why I do not craft for a living. I can't live on a $1.50 an hour. It is just an expensive hobby i love!
DianeCraft likes this post.
Unread 06-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #7228
Mad Swapper

I am going to jump in as someone who has had lots of experience. Starting out at church sales and eventually over the years getting bigger,better ultimately selling at Convention centre
I disagree strongly with those that suggest cards for example be sold higher than what some here are doing. In my experience you have to know the venue you are selling at.....big difference between a Farmers Market and a Convention Centre. You should always check out any venue before signing up to see if your product is a good fit for this event and if your price point is in line with what others are selling.

You can look at it another way, do you want to sell 6 cards for $6.00 each or do you want to sell 12 cards for $2 each. There is also the fact that if your product is well made a customer may not be able to buy more than 1 card for $2 at your first show, but at your next they may buy 12 which can and will happen once you are selling regularly.

If you are in an area where you can sell for $6.00 that is wonderful. But you have to be realistic and compare apples to apples. The venues have to be the same to see which price point is the right one for that particular venue.

I think people also have a perceived idea of how much a card is worth, they have no idea how long you laboured or whipped up this card. They look at it and make their decision.

I will concede that sometimes we are our own worst critics of what our products are worth, which you can test out but that is another issue.

Don't underestimate your worth but at the same time take everything into consideration before pricing. One last piece of advice....NEVER EVER Drop your prices at a sale if things are not going well. Not only is this an insult to your prior customers who have purchased and are still walking around, it devalues your work. Your product is worth as much at the end as when the sale started. You should not have to do this is you have done your homework.

I also never up my prices if it costs more to enter a big sale. My price is my price,and if "The Price is Right" you will be successful.this is just my opinion with lots years of experience. I always enjoyed what I made, and the icing on the cake is to have someone pay me for my efforts and leave with a smile on their face.
Unread 06-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #7229
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinesense View Post
I've been die-cutting a lot of plain tags out of Hobby Lobby Heavy Weight cardstock lately. I plan on selling them for $1 for a pack of ten.
Unread 06-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #7230
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Canada goose - I agree with you! I don't spend hours on one card, but even if I did, very few people would realise/appreciate it! I sell for $2/card or 6 for $10, but our Aussie dollar is worth less comparatively. Mine are usually standard Australian size of a bit over 4 inch by a bit under 6 inch. Larger cards I charge more, but rarely sell (postage is fairly expensive here). I'm generally selling at non-crafty markets where people are not out to buy fancy expensive stuff, and yes, I'd rather sell 12 x $2 cards and not stockpile them. I do think that if I was ever to sell at a boutique-type market, I would increase the price on most of my stock. I do sell cards at a café and they price them at $5.50. So I know there are customers who'll pay that kind of price, buy they are not at the market places I'm selling at!! As I've often said, it's my hobby and not a business. Whatever I sell or give away is an excuse to make more and that's fine by me.
Unread 06-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #7231
Insane Embellisher

I guess I am slow at this...
Unread 06-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #7232
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Lori92760 - the examples of your cards are lovely! I rarely colour images; it's just not my thing and I'm no good at it. If I did colour, it would take me ages and I wouldn't want to sell for the same price as my other stuff. I agree; it is an expensive hobby I love!
Unread 06-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #7233
Cardstock Collector

Joining in here for the first time. I sell cards, magnets and other paper crafts at a local Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. I sell my cards for $3 each or 2/$5. Lately I've been using some of the One-Sheet Wonder templates for my cards and they seem to be doing well. Consistency seems to be a key too since many of my customers come to the market weekly and know to look for me there.
maryp, JBgreendawn, stampermomof2 and 1 others like this post.
Unread 06-13-2017, 07:35 AM   #7234
Mad Swapper

Default Craft sales Best Sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia in sc View Post
Joining in here for the first time. I sell cards, magnets and other paper crafts at a local Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. I sell my cards for $3 each or 2/$5. Lately I've been using some of the One-Sheet Wonder templates for my cards and they seem to be doing well. Consistency seems to be a key too since many of my customers come to the market weekly and know to look for me there.
Wonderful! That's the trick pricing so that you build clientele. People that like and purchase, will ask where you will be next and will definitely follow you. If you decide to "bump up" your card design you can increase your price a little and people will see the difference in the adjusted price and will gladly pay more because they know the quality of your work. Continued success on your card sales.
Unread 06-15-2017, 06:14 AM   #7235
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCena View Post
I've been die-cutting a lot of plain tags out of Hobby Lobby Heavy Weight cardstock lately. I plan on selling them for $1 for a pack of ten.

Hi, quick question - I'm not sure what "Hobby Lobby Heavy Weight cardstock" you mean? Is it plain, solid colors or with a design? I've thought about making tags from scraps before but haven't. Do you put "To/From" on them or anything? Do you have a picture? Thanks!
Unread 06-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #7236
Cardstock Collector

Another quick question, has anyone had any luck using the magnet strips that come on a roll? I've tried using it to make clothespin magnets and the skinny notepads to stick on refrigerators, etc. with no luck. It keeps falling off. For the clothespin magnets I simply switched to neodymium magnets but I hate to use them on notepads that are meant to be used and then tossed. How can I make my notepads stay in place?
Unread 06-15-2017, 01:51 PM   #7237
Proud Fan Club Member

Cynthia, have never had much luck with the strip magnets......for my skinny notepads I use the give away magnets you can pick up at home shows, fairs and street fairs that businesses use to advertise with. Then I use my ATG adhesive to put them on the pad. Never had one fail and since they are free......whee!

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Unread 06-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #7238
FiP
Matboard Maniac

I haven't used those magnets rolls in a while, but I think I tried to straighten them out under something heavy before use. The adhesive is probably not very good, so use a better kind that you know will stick!
Unread 06-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #7239
Stampin' Fool

I have had success with them BUT I prep them for about 2 months before I use them.
It is the curling that make them pop up. I cut approx. 12" strips from the rolls and place the strips between copy paper. Then I lay them flat under my desk pad (which is heavy). When I am ready to make anything, I just grab them from there.
I don't just rely on their adhesive though. I use sticky tape or my ATG.

Alternatively, Walmart sells a pack of precut strips of thick magnets. I have had great success with those also as the magnet is quite thick, and already flattened.

Last edited by DianeCraft; 06-19-2017 at 12:51 PM..
Unread 06-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #7240
Kookie Creator

Quote:
This card and this card for instance took hours for me. Some one just asked me last night why I do not craft for a living. I can't live on a $1.50 an hour. It is just an expensive hobby i love!
I know I charge $2.50 a card but they are ones I can mass produce easily. For harder or more time consuming cards I charge more. When people ask I'm honest because they are harder, more product etc. I also don't make as many of those cards so I can say there are only a few of these available