Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 11-25-2016, 09:03 AM   #7161
Mad Swapper

Gina, sorry you had this happen. Sometimes the conveyors are more sensitive to our concerns, too bad she did not shift around. This happened to me once and fortunately It was right at the set up time so it was resolved.

Smaller booths, pay more for having a plug, extra lighting was always happening at my Convention Centre show. Unfortunately I did not find out sometimes until arrival then scrambling to arrange for these things and fork over more money. Hopefully the rest of your shows will go smoothly. Beer gardens and kids booths in the same area not good job on the convenors part.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 11-27-2016, 11:44 PM   #7162
Stampin' Fool

Thanks Irene The Signature shows don't extend to BC unfortunately. They stop at Alberta so not an option. I am looking at the "Make It" brand for next year though. Plan to attend as a customer this year to see first.

We do have at Etsy craft show in Vancouver in December though which I may also try to attend as a customer. I haven't been able to have time to open Etsy store and learn how/etc with posting items and setting up shipping etc though so could not go to that one as a vendor.

I went to one of my regular shows this past weekend though and it went well. There was |heavens opening up down pouring rain" on Saturday and Grey Cup football final game on Sunday - both seriously thinned the crowds - but I did my usual sales so was happy. This is a show where I have many regulars come to buy stuff for stocking stuffing, which helped also.

Two more shows to go this season. Always happy to see the wind-down!
lynnewithane and cookie1031 like this post.
Unread 12-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #7163
Mad Swapper

Diane, I know you keep good records, and that is what I relied on when deciding which shows to do and which to drop. Sometimes it is better both financially and easier to do two smaller shows needing less travel, set up etc and make the same amount for a big show.

I did the Signature for a number of years that it was financially worth the extra hassle. There came a point with escalating entry fees and added costs that It was better to do two smaller, less stress for same financial gain.

Now that you have participated and seen how your product fits in with what the competition is selling, you can make the decision if it's worth another try next year having done a trial run so to speak. I found it's exciting to do that big show but only to the point that it's financially worth it and more importantly you enjoy it.
Unread 12-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #7164
Compulsive Stamper

Default Done with sales for the year

We had a great show season overall this year. While we do more than paper craft items, I did do more "stocking stuffers" than normal. All sold well except for hand warmers and santatizer. My biggest sellers were, as always, vinyled items such as ornaments, beer mugs, wine glasses. Other smaller items that sold well were snowman popcorn, and snowman soft soap. I found this year that less expensive items sold the best. My husband does wood turning of all kinds of different items. Sales were much slower this year for these higher priced items.

We did 4 shows - every weekend in November. Our sales were awesome at two of the shows...$1700.00 and $4100.00. Sales were down a bit at the other two shows with sales of $875.00 at one (normally do $1200-$1400.00 at this show) and $1100.00 at the other (usually about $1400.00 at this one). The show where we did $875 we will not do again next year. It has been declining over the past 2 years. It is at one of the local high schools and in order to fill the gym they now over half filled with direct sales companies which do nothing to bring in customers. They also don't have the entertainment they used to have either. Will be looking at other possible shows for that weekend. If we don't do at least $1000.00 a show is not worth it to us.

So glad we are done....I'm pooped, but already looking forward to next season. Keeping a notebook of ideas for new items to replace some items that I've had for several years. Need to keep things fresh and interesting!
lynnewithane likes this post.
Unread 12-04-2016, 01:33 PM   #7165
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada goose View Post
Gina, sorry you had this happen. Sometimes the conveyors are more sensitive to our concerns, too bad she did not shift around. This happened to me once and fortunately It was right at the set up time so it was resolved.

Smaller booths, pay more for having a plug, extra lighting was always happening at my Convention Centre show. Unfortunately I did not find out sometimes until arrival then scrambling to arrange for these things and fork over more money. Hopefully the rest of your shows will go smoothly. Beer gardens and kids booths in the same area not good job on the convenors part.
Most of the ones around here don't charge extra for electricity.
I know a LOT of the vendors were upset about the beer garden. I feel we should have been made aware of that when they sent out the contracts.

I have one more show, next Saturday. it is a 10 x 10 foot space. I have never had anything that large so i am a little worried. However I am just going to do my best.
Unread 12-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #7166
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZKitchencreations View Post
Hi Brenda,

Your stuff is cute! I'm not sure what your market is like there but I sell my hot cocoa and cider packets for $1.50 each and they sell well.

I would try those cute nugget snowmen for $2, maybe $2.50? I think the nuggets are kind of expensive and all that stamping adds up.

I sell small jelly jars that look similar to your jar, filled with hershey kisses for $2 each and the bigger jelly jars for $4 each. I'll try to attach a photo. Sorry, I just attached the photo's and one is sideways - no clue why? Anywho, I think you get the idea.

I sold the post it note holders for $4 but adapted mine to hold a full pad of post it notes. I plan to lower the price to $3.50 or $3.75 for my December show. I sold some at my November show, but think they were priced too high.

Just my thoughts! Hope you have a great show! Tammy
I sell the post it note frames and matching pens for $4.

By the way...check amazon for RSVP pens, I found some for $6 I think for 12 pens.
Unread 12-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #7167
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendykins View Post
Do they look yummy enough to eat? Lol! They are Swiss roll wash cloths....I used my SU ribbon and a stamp set for the tag. First time making these, bought some cheap picks at DT that I took apart for the greenery and had been saving this plastic thing for I didn't know what, but I think they look so cool in this!

Wendy!!!!! These are adorable!!!!!!!! Did you do your show? How did they do?
PikkuLilla likes this post.
Unread 12-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #7168
Gallery Gazer

I am dying to know as well.
I thought they were adorable, and made some for my Fair next weekend. I showed them to a friend, and she just rolled her eyes. I could tell she thought I was ridiculous.
I only do the one Fair, so I'll see, but wondered how you did.
Unread 12-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #7169
Stampin' Fool

Are most people all done now? I have 1 more show this weekend on Saturday/Sunday. It has over 200 vendors. I was at this venue 2 years ago when it was smaller (120 vendors) and it went well. Thinking positively ... looking forward to ending the season on a high note.
Unread 12-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #7170
Kookie Creator

I have one more Fri and Sat this weekend. Most of my sales have been up over last year. Only one was down over last year. I sure need this one to be sucessfull so I can clear out a lot of my stock to start fresh for next year.
Linda
Unread 12-06-2016, 10:46 PM   #7171
FiP
Matboard Maniac

I'm done with stalls for this year. My gym's manager offered that I set up a table of goodies for a couple of weeks, which I have done. For the 2 weeks it's been there, I've sold over $200 worth, which is as good as my best day of selling at any stall! Seems pitiful when I read of the success of some folks on this forum, but hey ho... It's my hobby! PS I did sell a lot (and quite different to what usually sells) at a combined craft/garage sale at my friends' place. That's really emptied out my stock, which is excellent - good excuse to create more next year!!
Unread 12-07-2016, 05:02 AM   #7172
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via AIM to Scamper64 Send a message via Yahoo to Scamper64
Default One more . . .

I have one more small one on Friday. It's only for a couple of hours (11-1) at a hospital. It's only their second year of doing this. I was invited by another vendor at one of the other shows. She works at the hospital and organizes it and thought the things I had would be good sellers for the demographics--and there is no fee to participate! We'll see! So, I took a vacation day from my job (no biggie there) and am going to do it. I'm not really going to make more things--just try to get rid of my stock so, like many of you, I can start fresh.

I've done six other shows this year, with four of them being new to me. While I didn't sell thousands like some of you (envious), I did do okay to support my addiction . . . I mean hobby! Ha!

I hope everyone with shows left do really well and that you all have a great holiday season!

Merry Christmas!!!!
Unread 12-07-2016, 05:14 AM   #7173
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
I'm done with stalls for this year. My gym's manager offered that I set up a table of goodies for a couple of weeks, which I have done. For the 2 weeks it's been there, I've sold over $200 worth, which is as good as my best day of selling at any stall! Seems pitiful when I read of the success of some folks on this forum, but hey ho... It's my hobby! PS I did sell a lot (and quite different to what usually sells) at a combined craft/garage sale at my friends' place. That's really emptied out my stock, which is excellent - good excuse to create more next year!!
What do you sell at the gym? Most of my projects are candy-based and I just don't see those going over well. LOL
Unread 12-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #7174
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to kspiv

Hello Everyone! I am done with shows this year, too. I only did 2 and I was a little disappointed with the sales but still did ok. Both shows seemed to have a lighter attendance. In my bigger show, the first one I do, I had gotten 2 spaces and was moved across the gym but seemed like most of my regulars found me. Second show in my home town had a lot less foot traffic. Weather was nice, maybe a little too nice, for both shows for this time of year and that never helps. Did $2000 a the first show (did $3000 last year) and did $400 at the second show (and usually do around $800). I did not have nearly the amount of product made since I am trying to get my business open and that has sucked a lot of my time up (and creativity since I am looking for wholesalers, filing forms, etc.) but I did get to talk up my business and that was awesome!! So good advertising and it should pay for some of my stuff for the studio, like tables and chairs. =) I am so glad everyone had a great season!!
Unread 12-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #7175
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Bearing in mind that it's summer here in Australia so candy melts (and it's pretty expensive), the only candy item I did was the Elf Legs with M&M's, coz it was indoors and happily it sold well (for grand-kids mostly I think!). I also have cards, magnets, bottlecap & other necklaces, post-it note holders, decorated notebooks, snowman & santa battery tealights, gift card holders and a couple of other things.
lindylou1220 and lynnewithane like this post.
Unread 12-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #7176
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
Hello Everyone! I am done with shows this year, too. I only did 2 and I was a little disappointed with the sales but still did ok. Both shows seemed to have a lighter attendance. In my bigger show, the first one I do, I had gotten 2 spaces and was moved across the gym but seemed like most of my regulars found me. Second show in my home town had a lot less foot traffic. Weather was nice, maybe a little too nice, for both shows for this time of year and that never helps. Did $2000 a the first show (did $3000 last year) and did $400 at the second show (and usually do around $800). I did not have nearly the amount of product made since I am trying to get my business open and that has sucked a lot of my time up (and creativity since I am looking for wholesalers, filing forms, etc.) but I did get to talk up my business and that was awesome!! So good advertising and it should pay for some of my stuff for the studio, like tables and chairs. =) I am so glad everyone had a great season!!
$2,000....wow!

Can you estimate how much of that is profit?
Unread 12-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #7177
Stampin' Fool

So, my year end with a fizzle. But to be fair, there was what would be considered a blizzard with about 6-10 inches of snow falling over the 2 days of the show ... in BC where our weather is like Seattle. Rarely snow so ... no cities have snow plows!!! it is mostly people who own trucks that stick a plow head on the front!! lol
All you can do is laugh or cry and I chose to laugh. Surprisingly, a few people did come out and I still made a cople hundred dollars over my table fee.

Overall, the year has been good although this was our second weekend of very bad weather. I will now try to sell some of the leftover treats on a local Bidding Wars page we have here. I often sell my leftovers there.

My snowmen chocolate bars with gloves were not the big seller I hoped they would be
But my new magnet sets and bookmarks were a hit. I think I will donate the bar/glove sets to out local Christmas bureau who distributes to families who cannot afford Christmas for their children.

Hope everyone else was happy with their crafting season.
Merry Christmas all!
cookie1031, lori92760 and bjeans like this post.
Unread 12-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #7178
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
I'd love to know how these did.
I made 10 for a show and sold zero. 🙁
I thought they were adorable.
Oh well I took 7 of them to a cookie exchange I'm in. The ladies loved them!
wendykins likes this post.
Unread 12-13-2016, 03:01 AM   #7179
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
I made 20 and sold 16....all at one show!
Unread 12-13-2016, 05:15 AM   #7180
Gallery Gazer

Go figure. I guess you just never know.
Unread 12-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #7181
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm done for the year too (finished at the end of November). I had six shows and made just over $2,000 total.

I brought stuff in to work last week and sold more in my building (250 staff) than the "Mother Ship" building (1000 staff)! Go figure! LOL

Congrats to all for surviving another season!

My sometimes neglected blog
Unread 12-29-2016, 08:01 AM   #7182
Pearl-ExPert

I hope everyone survived the craft sale season and Holiday!!! I didn't do sales this year but hope to get back into it next year. Have a great Year!!!

MY GALLERY
Unread 12-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #7183
FiP
Matboard Maniac

My gym manager offered for me to set up a table for Mothers Day, so since about Christmas Eve, I've been making cards for sets (and it's a self-challenge to use up old papers). Also replenishing my post-it note holders and glass pebble magnets with old papers.
Unread 01-02-2017, 02:04 PM   #7184
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
My gym manager offered for me to set up a table for Mothers Day, so since about Christmas Eve, I've been making cards for sets (and it's a self-challenge to use up old papers). Also replenishing my post-it note holders and glass pebble magnets with old papers.
Yes. I love it when I can use old papers and supplies. The first place I go to is scraps of paper, then old supply before new stuff.

I didn't find there was much left after xmas to buy for next year. Seems a lot of things were sold out in pre-xmas sales.

Happy New Year!