Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree463Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #641
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantala40 View Post
hi ladies - it's been a while since I've been on here - but since it's Craft Fair Season I thought I would pop in with a few links for things I am prepping for my fairs this Fall. I saw this new thread & thought it would be a great place to pop in. Hope you are all doing well!

Halloween Test Tubes

Halloween Treat Boxes

Altered Fruit Containers

Mini Holiday Planners

Lastly, I did a post today to address the "how many of each item should I make?" question. You can find that post HERE.

I will try & come back as I make more items, especially for Christmas!

-Kerry
Thanks, Kerry, for showing us all your wonderful items. I spent a lot of time lurking at your blog last fall when I was doing fairs. Your things are amazing!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #642
Insane Embellisher

I found this very good site today while surfing (when I should be crafting!).
It is a ribbon site with ideas on how to make the hair clippies with cute bug designs made out of ribbon. I will definitely have to try some of these for my next batch of hair clips!

Free! How to make hair bows! -- The Ribbon Retreat -- ribbons, hair bows, how to make korker bows
Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #643
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty Teacher View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy a CHEAP and LIGHTWEIGHT folding table to use at craft fairs? Walmart has a 5' table for about $38, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone knows where I might get one for less.
Walmart has a 6' for $44 and starting tomorrow ShopKo has their 6' tables on sale for $38! So I'll be off to Shopko Friday to get a 6' table.

Altered by Jenn
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #644
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smriti View Post
Thanks Beth and Jenn!

Jenn, when you say "tag", did you make the tags? Do you mind sharing a picture?
I meant the 2x4" labels

Altered by Jenn
Old 10-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #645
Pearl-ExPert

I got my table at Menards and it was around $30-$40 too. Its five feet and it folds in the middle. I wasn't sure about that, but I work on it all the time and its great - I don't even notice the split where it folds. But you have to make sure you 'lock' it (legs and middle) or it will crash down on you and all of your stuff hangs in the air then falls to the ground in a cartoon styled way. Guess how I know that! The fold up ones too have a handle so its easier to carry. I really like mine.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #646
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
Thanks, Kerry, for showing us all your wonderful items. I spent a lot of time lurking at your blog last fall when I was doing fairs. Your things are amazing!
thank you! I get so much inspiration from you too - you have so many great things!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #647
Rubber Obsessor

Kerry~ I'm so glad you came back and posted the links to your blog! I thought I had saved your blog address and hadn't! I ♥ looking at your blog

Altered by Jenn
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #648
Rubber Obsessor

How do you decorate your tables/booth at shows for the Christmas season?!? Just trying to get ideas for my upcoming shows in December

Altered by Jenn
Old 10-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #649
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn21404 View Post
How do you decorate your tables/booth at shows for the Christmas season?!? Just trying to get ideas for my upcoming shows in December
Hmmm...Great Question!!! Couple of things that I do:
* Black Sheets for table covers - and cover backs so that I can store my extras under table and they aren't seen...I have actually had people dig through my stash before!
* I use Longaberger baskets to hold all of my items on tables
* Holiday Fabric inside all baskets
* Big bouquet of balloons on corner of table - to attract people to booth - especially kids
* Sometimes I will toss some of that confetti in shapes on the tables - kind of messy but cute
* Bed Risers to raise tables
* Battery operated christmas lights with christmas greenery/garland on front of table in swags
* Lots of different heights on tables to break it all up
* Banner with store name and contact information is KEY!
* TABLE SIGNAGE! Sometimes you have to guide your customers a little bit!

These are just a few....as I start to focus on my tables I'll come up with more and will update my list!

HTH!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 AM   #650
Hardware Hotshot

Great information on the holiday set up..... I like the idea of using risers too to make table a bit higher.... oh, I love all the ideas here!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #651
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the help! Thankfully I already do the black sheets over the table and love the way it looks

My dad will be making me a custom banner (hopefully) so I'll have one in time for my next show at the beg. of December. I'll be raising the table this next time as well. Time to start looking through all my Christmas stuff to see what I have to use

Altered by Jenn
Old 10-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #652
Rubber Obsessor

I never thought of black sheets--hummmmight have to give this a try. And the bed risers???? Don't they make the tables wobbly?? I'd like to know if anyone has an idea on how to make my peg boards sit higher. I plan to cut one down for table top but the other just sits on the floor and has alot of wasted space.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #653
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisydilly View Post
I never thought of black sheets--hummmmight have to give this a try. And the bed risers???? Don't they make the tables wobbly??
The black sheets make everything on your table really pop! I get the full size sheets at Walmart for about 6.00. Walmart also has a lot of bulk fabric pretty cheap as well, that is where I get all of my printed/holiday fabric to put in the baskets.

The bed risers have been one of my best investments yet! No, the tables aren't wobbly at all! I have had a lot of people comment about the tables since I have been using them. Much easier to look at everything when you aren't all bent over.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #654
Polyshrink Goddess

Has anyone had a door prize drawing at their table? If so what did you offer?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #655
Insane Embellisher

I found the paperclips that you used for the bookmarks today at Staples in the clearance section. They were $.50 for 25 of them.

I realized today that I have got to stop shopping and get busy creating or I am not going to be ready for my first craft show in mid-November!

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Here are some pics of things I have made for my craft shows.
Beaded pens, Beaded bookmarks, and Ribbon hairclips.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #656
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to kspiv

A friend and I did a booth at our towns local Harvest Fest and we are doing a Breast Cancer Awareness thing this month and in December we do a local Christmas thing that first weekend. I love doing craft fairs and stuff! Its so fun...even if I dont sell a ton, my BFF and I get to sit around and talk all day!

I bought 2 tables from Sam's a while ago but they may still have the style. They werent super cheap but they have been my best investment over the years. They are 4 ft. tables (2 ft wide) that fold in the middle. They store great, have a handle and fold up nicely and lock down well. But one of the best features about them is the 3 different varying heights you can set them up. I like to put 1 on the "regular" height and then 1 taller and that way you have different heights for items.

Also, I bought these from my friend when she needed them out of her garage but she bought them when a local scrapbooking store was going out of business...they are the wire grids with the hook system. We put these between two of our 4 ft tables and then we can "go up" with our displays. It is really nice to be able to hang things like keychains up on the grids. She took the pictures of our booth but I will ask her to email them to me so I can post ideas here.

One thing I did to dress up things was to package my simple items really cute. Here is a picture from my blog of some keychains I made. Just used the Creative Memories punch to punch out thin chipboard (the white kind that comes in SU designer paper) and then punched cute paper again and covered it with that. Right now I am doing the same thing for some scrabble tile magnets I am making but I am putting a thin piece of metal flashing in between the chipboard and paper so that the magnets stick to that. I will try to take a picture of that and post too.

Southpaw Paper Arts: Scrabble Tile Pendants & Keychains

As far as presentation....that is actually KEY to getting people to your booth! At our festivals I just use turquoise plastic tablecloths that are long so I can store boxes under them but I cover them with my mom's antique white lace tablecloths. It looks bright and fresh. I use white paper lunch sacks or sacks with the handles but I stamp on them with a cute stamp and a Thanks stamp. I hang my info from a tag that I make on craft cardstock. It has my info and blog address on it. I hang it with turquoise ribbon. Jewelry, like my scrabble necklaces, I put in either a little tiny white sack that has been stamped or a white organza drawstring bag. We always put turquoise or black and white printed tissue paper in each bag. People are always commenting on the packing as much as the things they are buying. Its the little touches that make a big difference to people! Yes, those things do cost money to supply but I have had more repeat business because of it. People will tell me that when they got home and opened their stuff, they really loved the packaging it came in and that they can reuse that sack or organza bag again and they appreciated that.

I am working on more things now...jewelry and card sets and such but I will try to post more ideas on here too. Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas! I love seeing things that you all are making!!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #657
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisydilly View Post
I never thought of black sheets--hummmmight have to give this a try. And the bed risers???? Don't they make the tables wobbly?? I'd like to know if anyone has an idea on how to make my peg boards sit higher. I plan to cut one down for table top but the other just sits on the floor and has alot of wasted space.
You can also make your own bed risers of sort. Get some PVC pipe at a hardware big box store. You cut it and put the pipe on each leg. It hits the bar that come across. I estimated the length by measuring the length of each leg and adding the number of inches I wanted to raise the table. No wobbles.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #658
Kookie Creator

Smile

Quote:
A couple of small tree branches either painted white and/or glittered, potted in sand in a Christmas pot, can be decorated to look like lovely little Christmas trees from which to hang some items or just display your samples. Around the base of the tree you can have some items wrapped in cellophane complete with a Christmas tag, as ready to go gift items.

Also, I like to make a miniature Christmas scene of a snowy village. I use craft wadding as the snow, a mirror as an icy pond, little houses, tiny model people and pine trees. If you can incorporate mini battery operated flashing lights or a moving item like a mini train around the perimeter of the village, it really attracts attention. It gives people a reason to stop and look more closely along the table and speak to you rather than just glance along the table as they go past.

Further, if you place a few sturdy boxes of various sizes, under your black table cloth, you can get a few different sized 'shelves' to make your display more interesting and seen better from a distance.

HTH,
Sharon
Old 10-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #659
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
You can also make your own bed risers of sort. Get some PVC pipe at a hardware big box store. You cut it and put the pipe on each leg. It hits the bar that come across. I estimated the length by measuring the length of each leg and adding the number of inches I wanted to raise the table. No wobbles.
That is a really great and inexpensive idea too! How wide are the PVC pipes that you use? If you have a pix that would be awesome....I'm trying to visualize this and can't seem to get it?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #660
Cardstock Collector

I am new to the whole craft fair thing. I have my first one in a week and a half. I guess what I'm wondering is how to display my cards since I don't have a rack of any kind. Any creative simple ideas would be great!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #661
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseprints View Post
Has anyone had a door prize drawing at their table? If so what did you offer?

Thanks.
I did, last Fall. I offered a perpetual Important Dates calendar I'd stamped. Everyone was very interested in it, so I got a lot of good feedback. Mainly I wanted to know what was the favorite item I was selling (turned out to be the bookmarks and my cards), and what other things they'd like to see in the future. The gal who won the calendar wanted it SO BAD, she kept checking back to see if we'd had our drawing yet. I'm glad she won, and it gave me great feedback.

HTH,
Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Old 10-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #662
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Little Boys View Post
I am new to the whole craft fair thing. I have my first one in a week and a half. I guess what I'm wondering is how to display my cards since I don't have a rack of any kind. Any creative simple ideas would be great!!!
I used some simple baskets I bought at the Dollar Tree. Made labels for each basket (Happy Birthday, Thank You, Wedding/Sympathy, etc.) and punched them out with a Mega oval scalloped punch and affixed with ScorTape. Another suggestion....use the boxes you transport your goodies in (use smaller ones), and cover each with a pillowcase that matches or coordinates with your table cover. Viola! Instant product risers, and the pillowcases can be draped attractively. I have a photo on my home computer....I'll try to get that uploaded tonight.

HTH,
Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Old 10-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #663
Kookie Creator

Smile

Quote:

Three or four small, tissue sized boxes covered nicely in paper and taped to a Lazy Susan makes a quick turning rack for your cards. Place the boxes so the ends meet in the middle and label each box so the cards stand in the appropriate boxes(Christmas cards, Halloween cards, Birthday cards and Miscellaneous cards). A tall, thin vase or a decorated tube in the middle of the Lazy Susan gives you something to attach a label to.

HTH,
Good luck with your fair!

Sharon
Old 10-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #664
Kookie Creator

Smile

Quote:

If you have a wire plant stand, CD stand or shoe rack you could place attractive baskets or boxes in/on them to hold cards and give height to your display. A plant stand which looks like a set of steps or an object like a little, old-fashioned, wooden, flower wheelbarrow could make a great display.

Maybe even a set of steps or a "Christmas tree" made from those cheap colourful cardboard gift boxes, in varying sizes stacked from larger at the base to smaller at the top, could look lovely and be quickly and easily made into a card display rack.

Good luck!
Cheers,
Sharon
Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #665
Kookie Creator

Thanks for all of the tips Kelly. I was just checking out your blog and SCS gallery - you're work is amazing.

Sharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
A friend and I did a booth at our towns local Harvest Fest and we are doing a Breast Cancer Awareness thing this month and in December we do a local Christmas thing that first weekend. I love doing craft fairs and stuff! Its so fun...even if I dont sell a ton, my BFF and I get to sit around and talk all day!

I bought 2 tables from Sam's a while ago but they may still have the style. They werent super cheap but they have been my best investment over the years. They are 4 ft. tables (2 ft wide) that fold in the middle. They store great, have a handle and fold up nicely and lock down well. But one of the best features about them is the 3 different varying heights you can set them up. I like to put 1 on the "regular" height and then 1 taller and that way you have different heights for items.

Also, I bought these from my friend when she needed them out of her garage but she bought them when a local scrapbooking store was going out of business...they are the wire grids with the hook system. We put these between two of our 4 ft tables and then we can "go up" with our displays. It is really nice to be able to hang things like keychains up on the grids. She took the pictures of our booth but I will ask her to email them to me so I can post ideas here.

One thing I did to dress up things was to package my simple items really cute. Here is a picture from my blog of some keychains I made. Just used the Creative Memories punch to punch out thin chipboard (the white kind that comes in SU designer paper) and then punched cute paper again and covered it with that. Right now I am doing the same thing for some scrabble tile magnets I am making but I am putting a thin piece of metal flashing in between the chipboard and paper so that the magnets stick to that. I will try to take a picture of that and post too.

Southpaw Paper Arts: Scrabble Tile Pendants & Keychains

As far as presentation....that is actually KEY to getting people to your booth! At our festivals I just use turquoise plastic tablecloths that are long so I can store boxes under them but I cover them with my mom's antique white lace tablecloths. It looks bright and fresh. I use white paper lunch sacks or sacks with the handles but I stamp on them with a cute stamp and a Thanks stamp. I hang my info from a tag that I make on craft cardstock. It has my info and blog address on it. I hang it with turquoise ribbon. Jewelry, like my scrabble necklaces, I put in either a little tiny white sack that has been stamped or a white organza drawstring bag. We always put turquoise or black and white printed tissue paper in each bag. People are always commenting on the packing as much as the things they are buying. Its the little touches that make a big difference to people! Yes, those things do cost money to supply but I have had more repeat business because of it. People will tell me that when they got home and opened their stuff, they really loved the packaging it came in and that they can reuse that sack or organza bag again and they appreciated that.

I am working on more things now...jewelry and card sets and such but I will try to post more ideas on here too. Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas! I love seeing things that you all are making!!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #666
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I found this very good site today while surfing (when I should be crafting!).
It is a ribbon site with ideas on how to make the hair clippies with cute bug designs made out of ribbon. I will definitely have to try some of these for my next batch of hair clips!

Free! How to make hair bows! -- The Ribbon Retreat -- ribbons, hair bows, how to make korker bows
WOW! This is something I'd love to try. Gotta get off here and get to work! ha ha!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #667
Pearl-ExPert

Kelly and Beth, thanks for your awesome info! When I packaged one or two of my items I realized what a difference it makes - from amateur to professional. Your packaging sounds really professional no wonder you get repeat business!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #668
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitysmom View Post
That is a really great and inexpensive idea too! How wide are the PVC pipes that you use? If you have a pix that would be awesome....I'm trying to visualize this and can't seem to get it?

Thanks!
I did a search "raising table height" a year or so ago and found this idea. I don't have any pictures but do a search and you will find this and other ideas. Here is one place that has a little video that shows exactly what to do. I know it looks like a jewelry site, that is what we sell at craft shows so I was looking at jewelry sites when I found this video.

Raising Table Legs For Your Next Show | Jewelry Making Instructions

It is so much nicer having a higher table and easier on your back.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #669
Pearl-ExPert

Default Pricing help?

I'm done with my snowman kisses using Tic Tac and really happy with them. I'm thinking of selling them for $2.25 including sales tax (around9%). Is that reasonable?

Second is the altered clipboards. My DH just doesn't like them, he thinks there's slim chance anybody is going to buy them. On the other hand I do like them. They might not be my best creation but they look good to me. The clipboards cost me $2 each, they've been covered in PP/CS front and back and mod-podged, again front and back. Given all the material I used, the ideal price for me would be $6 (including sales tax), but I'm not sure whether people would be willing to pay that much for it. What do you think people would pay?

Attached are the pictures for both.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc05630-1.jpg   dsc05632-1.jpg  
Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #670
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I used baskets too until I bought a rack. Look on craig's list and you can usually find one at a fraction of the cost of a new one. It may take awhile before you find one, but it so improved my sales of cards.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #671
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
I did a search "raising table height" a year or so ago and found this idea. I don't have any pictures but do a search and you will find this and other ideas. Here is one place that has a little video that shows exactly what to do. I know it looks like a jewelry site, that is what we sell at craft shows so I was looking at jewelry sites when I found this video.

Raising Table Legs For Your Next Show | Jewelry Making Instructions

It is so much nicer having a higher table and easier on your back.
Thanks so much! Now I "get it"! What a great alternative to the bed risers! I paid 8.00 per set for the bed risers and PVC pipe is dirt cheap. You could probably get the hardware store to cut it for you too....
Old 10-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #672
Rubber Obsessor

Also check out Goodwill and other stores like that for racks and stuff like that. I found my spinning rack at Goodwill for $1.00 and am so glad I found it! I'll be heading over there today to see what else they have since we're revamping my set up for my next shows

Altered by Jenn
Old 10-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #673
Insane Embellisher

I have been checking on craigslist with no luck. I had not thought about looking at Goodwill. I will have to check that out!

Thanks!

Pat

Quote:
Also check out Goodwill and other stores like that for racks and stuff like that. I found my spinning rack at Goodwill for $1.00 and am so glad I found it! I'll be heading over there today to see what else they have since we're revamping my set up for my next shows
Old 10-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #674
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I'm done with my snowman kisses using Tic Tac and really happy with them. I'm thinking of selling them for $2.25 including sales tax (around9%). Is that reasonable?

Second is the altered clipboards. My DH just doesn't like them, he thinks there's slim chance anybody is going to buy them. On the other hand I do like them. They might not be my best creation but they look good to me. The clipboards cost me $2 each, they've been covered in PP/CS front and back and mod-podged, again front and back. Given all the material I used, the ideal price for me would be $6 (including sales tax), but I'm not sure whether people would be willing to pay that much for it. What do you think people would pay?

I LOVE your clipboards. Really cute!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #675
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweeda View Post
I LOVE your clipboards. Really cute!
Thanks Schweeda! You made my day!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:05 AM   #676
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Cute projects! I think the price for the mints is about right. I'm doing some as well and they cost about $1 each in the store (got mine at Sams so they were just a bit cheaper than that but not by much).

The clipboards are very cute and $6 is a good price. Its hard to tell what sells, but they are very cute and worth that price (if not more).

MY GALLERY
Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #677
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by patscrap View Post
I have been checking on craigslist with no luck. I had not thought about looking at Goodwill. I will have to check that out!

Thanks!

Pat

If you have "freecycle' in your area, post a 'wanted' ad on that. Its like Craigslist, but its free stuff that you offer or ask for. I ended up getting one at a sale where a business had closed. But before that I just used baskets, and sorting them by category.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #678
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you for your kind words Mary! Looks like I'm on the right track!

I'm making purse gift card holders now and loving every moment of it! They're so cute and easy to make!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #679
Pearl-ExPert

Question

Since we're all talking about displays - I've a craft fair on Nov 6th but my items are mostlt related to christmas gifting so I'm thinking that I should decorate it in christmas-style so that they get that holiday feeling. However I wasn't sure if it would look odd that I've a christmas-y booth in fall. Any opinions?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #680
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I checked my Goodwill for a card rack and when I asked if they have ever had one, they looked at me like i had 2 heads. lol I guess it isn't real common here. But I will keep checking back.