Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #521
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thanks

I'm calling him right now.

Connie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #522
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitysmom View Post
I attach the shelving with bungee cords underneath the table. You kind of have to work at them a little but they hold really tight!

HTH!
Thanks Beth!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #523
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
For displays, can someone please tell me how you make a pegboard? And how do you get it to stay standing erect?
It seems like a stupid question, but I don't have a handy husband who can make things for me, or figure out these kind of things!
Hi Diane,

I'm thinking about buying this pegboard display:

Pegboard Counter

There are also floor model pegboard displays.
PegHookDisplay

I figured I could make my own custom header with my cricut machine for the top. What I like about this is it's lightweight and super cheap! The countertop model is only like $7. I haven't checked out shipping charges yet.

I'm thinking you could even spray paint the white one any color you want to match your booth. And if it doesn't work out- you won't be out too much money.

Just a thought.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #524
Matboard Maniac

Beth,
Thanks bunches for all the great photo display links!
Old 09-30-2010, 12:41 PM   #525
Matboard Maniac

I went to Dollar Tree and got these cute little candle tins that come 2/pkg. I think they'd be perfect dolled up with a scallop punch on the lid with something stamped in a circle and the sides decorated. I might decorate them to match my comp books in case someone wanted to pick some up to put in a gift basket. A gift basket with matching comp book, beaded pen, sticky note pad and candle tin would be great for a teacher, bus driver, postal person, hair dresser, etc.

I really need to show y'all what I've made and see what you think.

One thing that sold like crazy at this tiny little craft fair I was in this weekend (maybe 30-40 people came by) was magnetic bottlecap necklaces. I had a bunch of bottlecaps that I was supposed to use for scrapping and wanted something to do with them. I sold them $2.50 each or 3/$6.00. The girls went nuts over the Justin Beiber and Rocker Chick ones and the boys loved the Star Wars and Mario Brothers ones.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #526
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhb1281 View Post
How big is your floor space?? Ours are usually at least 8x10 spots with one 8 ft table supplied by the show but I always bring a couple of my own 6 ft or 5 ft tables and set up in a U shape with the card rack at the end of the U. Can you bring your own tables or a couple card tables to add more display surface??
I'm not 100% sure, I know we have space for an 8 ft table. We do plan on taking a smaller table. My MIL is signed up for the same show, and we are going to have spaces beside each other, so she is going to share some of her space if I need it. She is also taking some of my things that same weekend to another fair....the two shows ended up overlapping, which has never happened before. So, DH and I are going to hold down the fort at one, while she and my FIL will do the other.

I got my card rack from displays to go and L--O--V--E it. I think it was worth the investment. We'll see if it pays off!
Old 09-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #527
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I was inspired when I was woking on the glass pebble magnets last year. I also saw people making bookmarks with the large clips and big scallop paper punches. I decided to combine the two together and see if they sold.
I have to tell you all, these sold like crazy! I sold them for $4 for a set of 3 because they were so cheap to make, and people kept saying "$4 for all three?" with surprise in their voices. lol
So, I think I may charge more this year! I have prettied them up a bit by packaging them in plastic sleeves.

These are soo simple to make. Honest!
I made them the same way you make the glass magnets - by gluing images to the glass bead. Then I glued jumbo size clips to the back.

I made the cards to hold them by creating a template and cutting slits spaced out with my exacto knife. Then, I used computer printed labels for my label header.

That is it! They are sooo easy! Just time consuming between all the steps and letting the glue dry well.
Also, the best images come from magazines or catalogues because they don't bleed and are bright with a glossy finish. I collected a bunch throughout the year, and just went through them all looking for words and images of the right size. (people love the words the most). Then, I create sets with various themes.

I hope that helps anyone who wants to make them. Please post an image if you do though - I would love to see them.
Thanks, I was wondering how you attached them to the paperclip. What kind of pictures have you found sell the best? Or what words? I can't wait to try making some of these. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #528
Polyshrink Goddess

I have not done any of the M&M sticks, even though I think they are adorable. I am worried about having opened and touched the unwrapped candy. I was thinking that there would not be the same issue with dog and cat treats. Has anyone ever put those in the 1 x 8 bags like the M&M sticks? Any pictures or suggestions?

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharron246 View Post
I made some sweet bags and added a top like the notebooks. But the thing I sold most of was Dog and Cat Treat bags. I also had some stamps the 40 in a box which I got really cheap, parents love little bits for kids.

Also I love the idea of sweets for free, so people stop and look.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #529
Glitter Queen

I just love those bookmark clips. I'm going to have make some, whether just for myself or the show.

Quote:
Here are some pics of things I have made for my craft shows.
Beaded pens, Beaded bookmarks, and Ribbon hairclips.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #530
Rubber Obsessor

Default pegboard

I may have shown these before, but this is the pegboard we use. Sorry, DH makes all this kind of stuff and I'm really clueless about how. I just know how to decorate it! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
img_1186small.jpg   img_1183small.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #531
Polyshrink Goddess

Beth TFS all the links to the nice ideas! Jenn, I know what you mean about getting nervous!! I keep feeling that now and my first show isn't til Nov. I am excited for you! Have a great sale!! Lori and all the others who ordered new card racks, I know you will love them!! I had to go with used as I couldn't afford the new and love being able to display the cards in the racks. Pat, I am still struggling with the pricing too. I am definately selling my mini comp books with gel pens for $4 which includes the sales tax.(already sold one at work for that price).
Old 09-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #532
Polyshrink Goddess

Lori,

You don't know how lucky you are to have a hubby who is handy. Mine could not even begin to make anything like this!

I forget, did you get the tabletop or the floor-standing card display. I am going to have to take the plunge soon, but I keep hoping to find a used one.

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribelle3 View Post
I may have shown these before, but this is the pegboard we use. Sorry, DH makes all this kind of stuff and I'm really clueless about how. I just know how to decorate it! LOL
Old 09-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #533
Glitter Queen

Does anyone have a picture of their magnetic boards that I keep seeing mentioned? I would love to hear more about them.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #534
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Thanks, I was wondering how you attached them to the paperclip. What kind of pictures have you found sell the best? Or what words? I can't wait to try making some of these. Thanks!
People have liked any words. I pick alot of "love", "inspire", "cherish" and those kinds of words. Another really good place to look is in the scrapbook or crafting magazines. Sometimes if the images are the right size, I have been able to use embellished words from people's scrapbook pages (often stamped or die cut).

Flowers and stars and cute little bugs are big sellers for people buying gifts for teen girls. But also the muted tone simple designs for adults.

"Friendship" theme sets are popular too.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #535
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn21404 View Post
I'm so nervous. Tomorrow night is set up night and I'm not ready. I work better under pressure but thinking I can't do that with shows anymore LOL. I was up until 2am painting all of my mini clothespins and putting magnets on the back for the magnetic boards. This morning worked on stamping and cutting out tags for the candy stix.

Left to do:
Finish (4) FALL chipboard displays
More goody bags
3 - BOO door hangings
Pumpkin and turkey poops (maybe)
Make M&M stix
Attach tags to all of the candy stix
Get everything into totes
I just wanted to pop in and say Good Luck!! Let us know how it all goes.

Mine is in a week...I'm so far behind and I can't seem to figure out how to stay awake 24hrs a day and remain functional (I was going to say not be crazy...but I think I've long given up on that no matter how much sleep I've had)
Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 PM   #536
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecbear View Post
Does anyone have a picture of their magnetic boards that I keep seeing mentioned? I would love to hear more about them.
Here is a link to my blog that has a bunch of designs that I made in the spring. There is a lot more information on how I made them as well....Good Luck! These are a lot of fun and were good sellers for me this summer!

Blooming Where I'm Planted.....: Magnetic Message Boards
Old 09-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #537
Matboard Maniac

Hi ya,
I've seen a bunch of fair display pictures where a credit card (Mastercard, Visa) are taken. How do you do this? Do you have to buy a credit card machine? Do you have to plug it into a phone line? Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm not a business woman.
Also, do you have to have a tax ID# to buy the machine or sell at a craft show? Do you write off your expenses on your income tax form?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #538
Hardware Hotshot

Lori, I really like your pegboard setup! Very nice!

I got a bunch of stuff started and a bunch completed last night. 25 necklaces are now done and 27 cocoa cones are packaged and I stamped the tags for them this morning before work. Tonight when I get home I'll punch the patterned paper to mat what I have stamped and then punch holes and attach them to the cones. I've been keeping a detailed spreadsheet of what I have done and I have about $775 in inventory right now. My first show is coming up on the 16th of October so I feel I'll be ready by then. I really want to get my setup done though so I had better try that out this weekend.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:19 AM   #539
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow! You are very efficient. I take way too long to get everything done. I am trying to work in more of an assembly-line manner so that I can get more finished.

Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsruss View Post

I got a bunch of stuff started and a bunch completed last night. 25 necklaces are now done and 27 cocoa cones are packaged and I stamped the tags for them this morning before work. Tonight when I get home I'll punch the patterned paper to mat what I have stamped and then punch holes and attach them to the cones. I've been keeping a detailed spreadsheet of what I have done and I have about $775 in inventory right now. My first show is coming up on the 16th of October so I feel I'll be ready by then. I really want to get my setup done though so I had better try that out this weekend.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #540
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patscrap View Post
I have not done any of the M&M sticks, even though I think they are adorable. I am worried about having opened and touched the unwrapped candy. I was thinking that there would not be the same issue with dog and cat treats. Has anyone ever put those in the 1 x 8 bags like the M&M sticks? Any pictures or suggestions?

Pat

You don't need to touch the candy at all as you use rubber gloves (like the ones they use in the fast food places) I never never ever touch candies or soap-anything that people might feel uneasy about using. Just be sure to take your supplies with you to the shows as you will always have doubting Thomas'
Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #541
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

What are 'cocoa cones'? Can you post a photo? Pretty please? When you get a chance....my first craft fair isn't until 10-24.

Thanks!
Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Old 10-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #542
Insane Embellisher

I've read comments about file folder notebooks or portfolios....what are these? I've got some awesome beautiful file folders, but don't know what to do with them! Photos are always appreciated!

TIA,
Kat
Old 10-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #543
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat55 View Post
I've read comments about file folder notebooks or portfolios....what are these? I've got some awesome beautiful file folders, but don't know what to do with them! Photos are always appreciated!

TIA,
Kat
Never mind....I tried the Resource area again and found it! Thanks anyway.....

Kat
Old 10-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #544
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
What are 'cocoa cones'? Can you post a photo? Pretty please? When you get a chance....my first craft fair isn't until 10-24.

Thanks!
Kat
Sure! I'll take a photo at some point this weekend. Other areas it might not jive because you are packaging the stuff yourself, but I use cellophane cone bags (like a piping bag) and put in three tablespoons of hot chocolate (which is what the recommended amount for one mug is on the one that I bought), then a handful of small marshmallows and a few chocolate chips on top. I'm stamping little scallop tags with PTI Warm Happiness stamp set. I've stamped the mug in four different colors and then it has a sentiment which I've stamped over the top in black. Then I attach the tag with ribbon. They look really cute! Last year I sold out of them so I'm interested to see if they do as well this year. I sell them for $2.50 a piece or 5 for $10. I have 100 bags that I'm going to do up.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #545
Insane Embellisher

Default Beaded bookmarks

Quote:
Here are some pics of things I have made for my craft shows.
Beaded pens, Beaded bookmarks, and Ribbon hairclips.
Hi, Diane! I'm still fascinated with your beaded bookmarks and ribbon hairclips....first, are these the glass beads you buy in a bag at Dollar Tree or WM? Hmmmm.....what kind of glue holds the beads to the paperclip? And the itty bitty picture to the bead?

And how do you glue the ribbon to the hairclip? I think these are great and would like to include them in future shows. Any help you can provide (or a tutorial so YOU don't have to explain it all ). I searched the Resource thread but didn't find these.

Many thanks!
Kat
Old 10-01-2010, 06:54 AM   #546
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Sure! I'll take a photo at some point this weekend. Other areas it might not jive because you are packaging the stuff yourself, but I use cellophane cone bags (like a piping bag) and put in three tablespoons of hot chocolate (which is what the recommended amount for one mug is on the one that I bought), then a handful of small marshmallows and a few chocolate chips on top. I'm stamping little scallop tags with PTI Warm Happiness stamp set. I've stamped the mug in four different colors and then it has a sentiment which I've stamped over the top in black. Then I attach the tag with ribbon. They look really cute! Last year I sold out of them so I'm interested to see if they do as well this year. I sell them for $2.50 a piece or 5 for $10. I have 100 bags that I'm going to do up.
These sound small. Are they? Do you need to cut some of the top off?

My sometimes neglected blog
Old 10-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #547
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Tyree View Post
Hi ya,
I've seen a bunch of fair display pictures where a credit card (Mastercard, Visa) are taken. How do you do this? Do you have to buy a credit card machine? Do you have to plug it into a phone line? Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm not a business woman.
Also, do you have to have a tax ID# to buy the machine or sell at a craft show? Do you write off your expenses on your income tax form?
Here's some info about taking credit cards at craft shows. I did quite a few shows last fall, but didn't do the credit card thing. Sad to say the total amount of each person's sale was usually under $20, and most people just used cash. The largest single purchase I had was $68 from another vendor, and she paid me with a personal check. Otherwise, people at all the shows I did seemed prepared to pay with cash.

How do i accept credit cards at craft shows? | Answerbag

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 10-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #548
Pearl-ExPert

Default Credit cards

Theresa, I just got my credit card machine two days back. It's a knucklebuster or technically an imprinter - like the ones taxi drivers use. I got that along with the imprinting plate and credit card slips.

You need to sign up with a credit card processor who'll pay you for the CC transactions. There's paypal.com, propay.com and you could also check your local credit unions/banks. They charge you an absolute amount + some percentage per transaction. Like maybe 20 cents + 1.25% of the transaction. Plus they've a yearly/monthly fees. Yes it sounds like a lot of fees but I'm hoping it helps in the long run. Like most small places, I'm planning to have a minimum purchase amount for the CC transaction.

I haven't yet signed up for the service but I do think you would need to specify your tax id # or business license to show that you're a merchant.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #549
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patscrap View Post
Lori,

You don't know how lucky you are to have a hubby who is handy. Mine could not even begin to make anything like this!

I forget, did you get the tabletop or the floor-standing card display. I am going to have to take the plunge soon, but I keep hoping to find a used one.

Pat
I do know how lucky I am--I love my hubby!

I got the floor standing card display because I didnt' want to take up any more table space by putting one on the table. Yeah, I finally had to take the plunge since the other options (auction and craigslist) didn't pan out. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #550
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Thank you!

Wow--you have a lot of inventory! I've been keeping track of mine too, but I don't have a running total as per how much it all is worth. Maybe I'll look at that when I get home. I actually am running two inventories, since we are doing two shows the same weekend. I am trying to keep everything separate and make twice as much. NOT EASY! But definitely having fun.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #551
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeteens View Post
These sound small. Are they? Do you need to cut some of the top off?
I believe they're about 5" when finished, so not too bad. I don't cut any off the top, but you could. 3 tablespoons of the hot chocolate powder actually fills it up quite a bit!

Lori, I don't think I could do two inventories! lol I have a hard enough time with the one. I do have a lot of time between my two shows and a week of vacation in there so I'll be able to replenish whatever sells. I've been focusing on the low ticket items, but I do have a few larger ones in there as well.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #552
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Hi, Diane! I'm still fascinated with your beaded bookmarks and ribbon hairclips....first, are these the glass beads you buy in a bag at Dollar Tree or WM? Hmmmm.....what kind of glue holds the beads to the paperclip? And the itty bitty picture to the bead?

And how do you glue the ribbon to the hairclip? I think these are great and would like to include them in future shows. Any help you can provide (or a tutorial so YOU don't have to explain it all ). I searched the Resource thread but didn't find these.

Many thanks!
Kat
Kat,

I make the pebble magnets and they have been great sellers for me. I buy the round magnets at WM for 6.??. I print out pictures on my computer, resized to about 1/2 inch or so, then punch them out using a 1/2 inch circle punch. Glue the pic to the magnet and let dry. Then I add a pebble, which is just a clear glass pebble from WM or any craft store to the top, again using the e6000 glue. I am going to try adding the paper clip for a bookmark with the e6000, which I think is how Diane did it. I have used the irredescent pebbles, but just got some clear ones to try too. I can upload a picture when I get home. I bag them up in groups of 4 and sell them for $2 a bag.

HTH!
Lori
Old 10-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #553
Rubber Obsessor

Default Pebble magnets

As promised....
Note that I did change the price for these to $2, because I didn't want to have a ton of quarters.
Attached Thumbnails
pebble-mags-trays.jpg   magnets-starfish.jpg  
Old 10-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #554
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
As promised....
Note that I did change the price for these to $2, because I didn't want to have a ton of quarters.
I have made some of these and priced them at $.50 each. None sold. People loved them and said they were very cute, but no one bought any. have you had good luck?

Where do you get your magnets? Do you get the super strong ones?

Last edited by mouseprints; 10-01-2010 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: forgot a question
Old 10-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #555
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitysmom View Post
Here is a link to my blog that has a bunch of designs that I made in the spring. There is a lot more information on how I made them as well....Good Luck! These are a lot of fun and were good sellers for me this summer!

Blooming Where I'm Planted.....: Magnetic Message Boards
Your boards are adorable. May I ask what you charged for them?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #556
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecbear View Post
Your boards are adorable. May I ask what you charged for them?
Thanks! I charge $5.00 - $6.00 for them depending on the venue...
Old 10-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #557
Kookie Creator

Default Betty Banker here again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smriti View Post
Theresa, I just got my credit card machine two days back. It's a knucklebuster or technically an imprinter - like the ones taxi drivers use. I got that along with the imprinting plate and credit card slips.

You need to sign up with a credit card processor who'll pay you for the CC transactions. There's paypal.com, propay.com and you could also check your local credit unions/banks. They charge you an absolute amount + some percentage per transaction. Like maybe 20 cents + 1.25% of the transaction. Plus they've a yearly/monthly fees. Yes it sounds like a lot of fees but I'm hoping it helps in the long run. Like most small places, I'm planning to have a minimum purchase amount for the CC transaction.

I haven't yet signed up for the service but I do think you would need to specify your tax id # or business license to show that you're a merchant.
Make sure you check with the credit card company before doing this. With most credit card companies, it's against their rules to do this. Visa, I know, does not allow this. Merchants do this so that they don't have to pay all of the fees on the small purchase, but it's the "price you pay" (no pun intended) if you accept a credit card for purchases. There are pretty hefty penalties if you're caught doing this.

Sharon
Old 10-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #558
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Many thanks!
Kat
No problem. This post will probably be a long one as I do not have a tutorial or a blog. Sorry!

For the beaded bookmarks, I have used irridescent beads but the cler ones are best because the images show through best.
I know some people use E6000 glue but I actually just use the Tacky Glue. It dries clear and it very firm.
I cut the images out of magazines or catalogues mostly. I used the circle punch them, then glue the glass bead on but don't do that anymore. I am a bit **** and couldn't stand the little bit of paper sticking out the sides. So, I actually just cut the images out randomly larger than the glass bead. Then I glue the bead on. (You can hold it over the image before gluing to picture how it will fit).
After it is dry, I take scissors and trim around each bead. This is a long process but I do it while I am watching TV so it isn't so boring! And it does look better.

I glue the paperclip on with tacky glue also. If I am using an image that is on scrapbook paper instead of a magazine, I will use the E6000, but if you use it with magazine paper, I have found it bleeds through and ruins the image.

This web page shows a tutorial but is slightly different than my process as I have explained above:
Message Marbles - How To - LITTLELADY7688's Purple Wedding by Color Blog

For the hair clips, I use hot glue. It take some practice but it is super easy once you get the hang of it and how much glue to squeeze out, etc.
Here is a good tutorial so you can visualize:
Making Cute Hair Clips + Tutorial Paperseed

I hope this info helps.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #559
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseprints View Post
I have made some of these and priced them at $.50 each. None sold. People loved them and said they were very cute, but no one bought any. have you had good luck?

Where do you get your magnets? Do you get the super strong ones?
My magnets are always a big seller. I don't package them though. I make a bunch and put them on a metal sheet for people to choose their own. I sell them 3 for $1. The kids love them too, so I always make sure to do some with Disney designs (please don't tell the copyright police!). Although, I think I am ok because I use Disney images on scrapbook papers, so I think the copyright is covered.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #560
Polyshrink Goddess

been reading here all morning. have to sub this one! great ideas ladies!!!