Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #4921
Die Cut Diva

I made those purses before. That's a great idea! They are so easy to put together. I love that coconut-lime scrub too. I've got to come up with stuff since next Thursday is the last day of school.

Thanks ladies.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #4922
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx View Post
I agree w/the Clearbags recommendation. Good quality merchandise - and so many choices. However (and I can't speak for Canada), when I tried to order a couple of weeks ago, there was a penalty (they call it a "premium") added to any order less than $40. In other words, while there is no official minimum, it costs you extra if you don't reach their unofficial minimum. That was a U.S. order; is it different for Canada addresses?
I live in Canada but always order from the US site. Prices are wayyyy cheaper (1x8 bags were $7/100 at Cdn site and only $3 on US site) and our dollar is close to equivalent these days. It is even better if you have a shipping address in US like I do. The P.O. box rental is worth the prices saved for shipping costs.

Yes, just this year, Clearbags added a fee for orders under $40.
This isn't really a problem for me. I try to order every other year only to save on shipping, so I go over $40 easily. I just placed my order on Monday.
They have some good clearance items. Nice paper packs and envelopes of metallic colours. I bought some just for the paper because they are thick and the metallic will be great for xmas packaging.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #4923
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker3 View Post
So, I had my craft faire today and it didn't go too well. Even after asking the other vendors how they did, they said they didn't do much, some didn't even reach the booth fee. I sold only $39 worth of product. It was only for five hours but still... Selling in the spring is nothing like Christmas. I totally get it since it's a different market during the holidays. I sold lots of gift card holders since I had many for Mother's Day, Father's Day and Graduation. I have another one in a few months so I'm going to make more Father's Day and Graduation gift card holders. But like everything else, I had fun hanging out with DD and meeting new people.
My spring show wasn't very good either. Mother's Day items hardly sold at all.
I have booked myself for a couple evening music shows in the local park this summer. It was cheap and I won't bring my whole set-up. Just some quick things mostly for kids probably.
Any ideas for an outdoor evening setting like that??
Old 05-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #4924
Insane Embellisher

Default Craft sale best sellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I live in Canada but always order from the US site. Prices are wayyyy cheaper (1x8 bags were $7/100 at Cdn site and only $3 on US site) and our dollar is close to equivalent these days. It is even better if you have a shipping address in US like I do. The P.O. box rental is worth the prices saved for shipping costs.

Yes, just this year, Clearbags added a fee for orders under $40.
This isn't really a problem for me. I try to order every other year only to save on shipping, so I go over $40 easily. I just placed my order on Monday.
They have some good clearance items. Nice paper packs and envelopes of metallic colours. I bought some just for the paper because they are thick and the metallic will be great for xmas packaging.
WOW, I ordered to my Mesa address two years go and the price was not anywhere near there. I got 200 bags including shipping and it was close to $18.
Well I shall have to make sure to place any orders when we are back in Mesa.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #4925
Matboard Maniac

Diane, can you share a picture of the fancier lanyard you mention.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #4926
Matboard Maniac

Default help editing my account?

I am just noticing that under my name it says "Matt board Maniac".
Don't know why it is there and would like to change it.

Can you tell me how?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #4927
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlynne View Post

Can you tell me how?
Lynne, that is a title put under your name by SCS. It refers to the number of posts you have. It will change when you reach a certain number.

If you go to the top of the forum page, where it says Start Here, there is a thread called "What is a Cardstock Collector." This will show you all the titles and how many posts are required for each one. Cardstock Collector is the very first title when people start out and only have a few posts. It changes as you go along.

If you look at mine, you will see Gabfest Goddess, because I have reached the number of posts required for that title.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 05-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #4928
Die Cut Diva

I almost always sell altered magnetic clothespins. I package them in a set of four. I say almost always because with the exception of yesterday, I used to be able to say "always". DD and I were shocked that we didn't sell one packet.

I would guess as an evening music festival, it would be very casual, and the clothespins are small enough to slip in a purse if purchased.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #4929
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Diane, can you share a picture of the fancier lanyard you mention.
Not sure what you comment you are referring to?! Sorry.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #4930
Die Cut Diva

I'm trying to decide if I should participate in another craft faire next weekend. The organizer asked me to have a table, but I don't know... I guess I can always bring a book if it doesn't get busy... I still have lots of product since I didn't sell much last time... I'll have to think long and hard and make a last minute decision.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #4931
FiP
Matboard Maniac

depending on the fee, I would jump at the chance to be at a craft fair (as opposed to being at markets which are usually not craft specific). If you don't have to make more things to take, so much the better. It's nearly the middle of winter now in Australia, so I wouldn't do one right now, but best of luck to you if you go ahead with it!!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #4932
Insane Embellisher

I am doing a small local music festival on Friday night. I am not sure how it will turn out but it is $10 and I figure the exposure will be good.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #4933
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Can you tell me how?
Only way tht you can change it is to post more The titles change depending on the # of posts you have
Old 06-26-2013, 03:26 AM   #4934
Glitter Queen

Default Craft Show Question

Has anyone ever sold packages of the wrappers/candy holders/etc without the candy item and given an instruction sheet how to add the item?
I am doing a few craft shows this year and things are a little tighter than normal around here. I would like to offer things both with and without the candy product in order to minimize my cost outlay.
An example would be the little lip balm purses that I have seen. Sell that at one price with the lip balm; then offer the same paper crafted item without the lip balm with a suggestion (could use smarties, lip balm, small tube nail polish) sheet and instruction how to complete the item.
Or the mini snowman made with Stampinup two tag die cut (discontinued item now) that holds a mini candy bar. Assemble the snowman-minus the candy- package them in groups of 5-6 for table favors, classroom gift, children grab bag, etc.
What does everyone think?
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #4935
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyjw View Post
Has anyone ever sold packages of the wrappers/candy holders/etc without the candy item and given an instruction sheet how to add the item?
I am doing a few craft shows this year and things are a little tighter than normal around here. I would like to offer things both with and without the candy product in order to minimize my cost outlay.
An example would be the little lip balm purses that I have seen. Sell that at one price with the lip balm; then offer the same paper crafted item without the lip balm with a suggestion (could use smarties, lip balm, small tube nail polish) sheet and instruction how to complete the item.
Or the mini snowman made with Stampinup two tag die cut (discontinued item now) that holds a mini candy bar. Assemble the snowman-minus the candy- package them in groups of 5-6 for table favors, classroom gift, children grab bag, etc.
What does everyone think?
Thanks in advance!
I sell my lipbalm purses empty, no problem. I tell people they hold gift cards. They sell for $2.00-$2.50 empty. I have sold candy bar snowmen empty (they were taking them on a plane). I think in packages for party favors is a good idea. But any candy favors that they would have to buy a whole bag of the candy to fill one or two favors- I do not think they will sell. People buying stuff at a craft show do not want to have to take the item home and "have work to do" to use it. (this is from my sister who shops craft shows).
Good Luck with your shows.
Judi
doorknocker3 likes this post.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:36 AM   #4936
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:

Can you tell me how?
there is a thing at the top that explains the names as you get them... from 10K-20K its something like stuck on scs... at 20K you can pick your own name...

the only way to get there is to chat more. hth,
Old 06-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #4937
Die Cut Diva

I agree with Judi, there are some things that I sell empty especially when there are a variety of things that can be placed inside. But I always make sure to mention those items. As far as treat holders, I often thought about selling them empty especially when candy bar prices are going up, but then I think to myself, if I was buying a candy bar holder/cover I'd want it to be complete and ready to give.

What tugs at my heart is when a mom buys one for their child and they just rip it up right there and eat it...I'm sure that's what happens anyhow, but right in front of me AAHH! They're my babies LOL

Also, it depends on the type of show you're at. If you're at a school site, maybe it is ok to sell a set of holders - a child may want to personalize them with specific treats and give to their classmates. It would make it cheaper for the parent but also something they were going to do anyhow.

It's a tough question and not sure if there's an easy answer.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #4938
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to lori92760

oh i would croak if they just ripped it right in front of me! my boss ate his candy bar and put the hat and scarf back on the wrapper and its propped up on his desk for 18 months now. i guess once they pay their money they are entitled to do whatever, but....
KraftyKat54 and doorknocker3 like this post.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #4939
Matboard Maniac

Default lori92760

Tell him the little hat will fit his cell phone!! He could re-gift it for that purpose. I sold the snowmen at my craft show and a cute young thing snatched one of the hats off the candy bars (gasp!) plopped it on her cell and said, "I'm going to put this on my phone for winter!" I have to admit, it was cute and a new way to recycle...or upsale, too, I guess.
KraftyKat54 and doorknocker3 like this post.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #4940
Die Cut Diva

I love that idea! I'll have to remember this when it's Christmas time.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #4941
Rubber Obsessor

Location: I live in United Arab Emirates because of my husbands job.

LOL! Start posting!
Old 06-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #4942
Insane Embellisher

I have never tried selling things empty - except for gift card holders. Sometimes, I think it would help items sell because someone may not like the type of candy in it.
This is especially true for sugary candies. Skittles and jellybeans NEVER sell, even though they look cute and colourful because the parents won't buy them when the kids ask. I had a bunch of cute test tube type wrappers with skittles last year. With cost of the tube, parents thought it was too much.
BUT - I went to a sale at a school which was meant for kids to buy small gifts for their parents and sold them all! LOL
Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #4943
Inking Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Stampin Leigh

Hi, Sorry if this seems like a really dumb question, but where do you sell these items.

Regards Leigh-Anne
Old 07-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #4944
FiP
Matboard Maniac

Leigh-Anne, my friend & I sell usually from about October to December at various smaller markets. Alot of schools around here are running them or churches, but there are also handmade specific markets (which cost more than we're prepared to risk). I'm not sure how much of this goes on in Townsville, but you could google it or just look out for advertising towards the end of this year, should you be interested in selling next year.
Stampin Leigh likes this post.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #4945
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
Only way tht you can change it is to post more The titles change depending on the # of posts you have
fan club members can make theirs say proud fan club member ( now too, instead of waiting till you hit 20K to make up a name)
Old 08-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #4946
Die Cut Diva

Is October too early to sell Christmas items? I'm participating in a Holiday Boutique on October 12th, but it just seems too early. My main focus will probably be Halloween with some Christmas...what do you think?
Old 08-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #4947
Creative Crew SU Design Team

I'm going to get some paper mache letters B's. Paint the B red, write believe on it in white and put a santa hat on the upper left - you know the stick part of the B
kitkat55 and doorknocker3 like this post.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #4948
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Is October too early to sell Christmas items? I'm participating in a Holiday Boutique on October 12th, but it just seems too early. My main focus will probably be Halloween with some Christmas...what do you think?
My experience when I did some shows in October a couple of years ago, is that Christmas items did not sell. Not even the items that weren't exactly Christmas themed, but that I thought would be good Christmas gift items.

People wanted Halloween and Thanksgiving items in October at the shows I did.

It seems many are not ready to think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving, at least here in Oklahoma.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #4949
Die Cut Diva

That's what I was thinking too. Hmmm...now to do some research on fall/Halloween items.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #4950
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too. Hmmm...now to do some research on fall/Halloween items.
If you want something simple that will get people to your table, I recommend Tootsie Pops with a little cover. I made bunches of them for my sales, and sold them out at 50 cents each. Good profit for little work and supplies. Here is a link to the Halloween ones that I made. I didn't even stamp them, but used cute Halloween stickers.

Halloween Tootsie Pops by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Here is another view of the Halloween things. I also did very well with the Halloween Doorknockers in this pic:

Halloween Section by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

helenatroy, doorknocker3 and sc magnolia like this post.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #4951
Die Cut Diva

very cute
Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #4952
Pearl-ExPert

I always bring Christmas stuff to my October sales, and it sells, not as much as it does in November but it sells. Most of my sales have been end of October and early November but this year I'm trying to do more in Nov and even December. But finding sales is the trick since I didn't write down sales I saw advertised last year that I thought I would look into this year!

But for the fall things, I did the mini hershey bars that looked like frankenstein (saw a pattern somewhere and there probably are a couple in my gallery). I did big ones too, but the little ones sold much better, cause they were cheaper. I'm going to more of them this year and maybe vampires and pumpkins too. I also did monster mint patties (those are in my gallery) and they turned out cute (but didn't sell as well as the Hershey bars).

The mint patty bags sold though and my fall ones were decorated like sunflowers (the patties were).

This year I only have one set for October (the two I usually do conflicted this year - why do they change their dates like that!). Its always hard to do the seasonal things like Halloween cause you don't want to get 'stuck' with too many left overs if you don't have another sale to go to. But I have loads of nephews, nieces and a couple of grandsons who will benefit I suppose from leftovers.

MY GALLERY
Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #4953
Insane Embellisher

because we are getting ready for a wedding in october, i decided not to do any craft shows. truthfully, i made money last year, but i was so so tired of explaining everything. "this is a gift card holder, a nicer way to present it" its a hershey bar wrapped like a santa, a cute stocking stuffer or teachers gift or table favor" and the cocoa sliders, they were beyond every single person. apparently i am the only person this side of the mason dixon line that does table favors or small gifts for coworkers and i dont just hand over a gift card and say "here."
Old 08-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #4954
Glitter Queen

Send a message via ICQ to Spanky

I would like to know also!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #4955
Gabfest Goddess

Here is a cute Halloween idea that I maded:
Mary's Craft Room: Halloween Chiclets Holder
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
doorknocker3 likes this post.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #4956
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
because we are getting ready for a wedding in october, i decided not to do any craft shows. truthfully, i made money last year, but i was so so tired of explaining everything. "this is a gift card holder, a nicer way to present it" its a hershey bar wrapped like a santa, a cute stocking stuffer or teachers gift or table favor" and the cocoa sliders, they were beyond every single person. apparently i am the only person this side of the mason dixon line that does table favors or small gifts for coworkers and i dont just hand over a gift card and say "here."
So true..the explaining...
What I have found helpful is that I put a little label on the packaging which states what it is. Or, if I do a tag topper, I print what the item is underneath my logo.
Example: "hair clips" or "notebook and pen set" or "gift card holder"
This has stopped alot of the questioning!

I do love the shows and am scheduled for a few but I am getting behind in my prep this year. My daughter is heading off to university in the fall and she has been alot of "work" this summer. Preparing and managing anxiety and being a bit clingy and such. I am pooped!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #4957
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori92760 View Post
but i was so so tired of explaining everything. "this is a gift card holder, a nicer way to present it" its a hershey bar wrapped like a santa, a cute stocking stuffer or teachers gift or table favor" and the cocoa sliders, they were beyond every single person. apparently i am the only person this side of the mason dixon line that does table favors or small gifts for coworkers and i dont just hand over a gift card and say "here."
Oh yes the explaining... I too get tired of it! Nobody got the cocoa sliders when I made them so next time on I stopped making the sliding ribbon. Just a pocket and people were as happy. Similar things have happened to gift card holder designs I've come up with - people would try to open it in ways that could almost destroy it! Then I started keeping a sample outside to show them how it works but some people would still not get it!

Even with all this, I love to do craft shows I don't think I've made money (yet!), the best I've done is come out even but I still love to do them!
cookie1031 likes this post.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #4958
Insane Embellisher

people just didnt understand about packaging cocoa or anything else. i did sell almost all, but i was like a circus snake oil salesman! i did two shows last year and made about $500, so it was profitable. but i do not have the energy this year. after all this wedding stuff i am itching to do something for myself.

i think my gift card holders i made too elaborate. so i didnt feel i could sell them for $1.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #4959
Pearl-ExPert

ok I started a new thread for 2013: 2013 Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion

I hope we can have everybody join in there!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #4960
Compulsive Stamper

Subbing