Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #4841
FiP
Rubber Obsessor

I'm pretty sure Express-It is an Australian company, although I think the USA imports at least some of their range. They also make a particular kind of paper for use with Copic markers, and other products. I imagine you would have plenty of similar tapes there, as I have seen other brands here in Australia. As I said, it is the kind which has a white lining paper and is easily torn off the roll by hand. I go thru tons of the stuff, as I use it on almost every kind of card-making, scrapbooking and papercraft I do!
ETA- it is a double-sided tape, if you hadn't already figured that bit out!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #4842
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I cannot believe there is an adhesive I don't own!
Ha! Ha! Nowadays if anything in our house is falling apart I tell my DH I've an adhesive for that and then proudly justify all my craft purchases
Old 12-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #4843
Matboard Maniac

I am not sure, but the Express-It tape they are discussing sounds as if it may be what I use made by Sookwang and sold by Scor-Pal/Scor-Tape. I like it because it works well and is easy to use and comes in a variety of widths, and is pretty cheap, especially compared to snail. I don't have good luck with snail either, so I use Tombow, sticky strip (red line), or Scor-Tape most of the time.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #4844
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookskaren View Post
I am not sure, but the Express-It tape they are discussing sounds as if it may be what I use made by Sookwang and sold by Scor-Pal/Scor-Tape. I like it because it works well and is easy to use and comes in a variety of widths, and is pretty cheap, especially compared to snail. I don't have good luck with snail either, so I use Tombow, sticky strip (red line), or Scor-Tape most of the time.
Oh yes, I have several sizes of the Sookwang tape. It is good stuff.
My first go-to adhesive is my ATG gun though. It sticks very well. And it cheap! I stock up through the year with coupons at Michaels. This year, I went through 12 tapes for xmas craft show season. Love getting it for $3.99 for 2 rolls! Cannot beat that.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #4845
Matboard Maniac

Default Diane's cocoa packets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
Diane...I love your cocoa packets and Ghiradelli treats! May I ask, is that stir stick a candy that's chocolate covered? Those are awesome! Is that a Canadian treat...I havent really seen anything like that around here. I had thought of making some dipped peppermint sticks tho.
I have bought the chocolate peppermint sticks at Cost Plus or Pier I Imports. They come in a tub.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #4846
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlynne View Post
I have bought the chocolate peppermint sticks at Cost Plus or Pier I Imports. They come in a tub.
I have gotten them at Big Lots and Walgreen drugstore in box of 10 or 12.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #4847
Gabfest Goddess

I've found the one year at Hobby Lobby up in those small display things they have sitting around the check-outs.
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 12-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #4848
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Mary... I *heart* your avatar photo...
Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #4849
Gabfest Goddess

Thanks Stacy. They are wonderful friends too have!
Proud RAK Member
Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #4850
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneo View Post
I go to craft shows regularly and have sold at them on and off for over 20 years. Here's some things to keep in mind:

1. See if you can find out about the competition or if there are rules about the type of products sold by each vendor. If you sell jewelry and there are going to be 10 other jewelry vendors there, unless yours is totally different it will affect your sales.

2. Try to sell more than one thing. When I was just selling cards, anyone who didn't send cards was automatically not a customer. This meant a lot of people who may have thought I was talented would walk right past my booth because my product wasn't of use to them. And I had to sell a heck of a lot of cards to make back my booth fees. You know who brought this to my attention? MY FATHER! Who has probably purchased maybe 5 cards in his entire life and rarely goes to craft shows. Wise words.

3. Don't over make but go for variety. If you always sell out of widget A, making 500 of them instead of the usual 20 is not necessarily going to increase your sales. In fact, it may hurt them. People will think they are so easy to make, maybe your price is too high. Or you're spending all your time on that item, a person may want a bit of this or that but all you have is widget A. Setting out only 5 or so of an item at a time and replenishing may be a better bet.

4. Change what you make. I saw this lady who had racks and racks of embroidered holiday sweatshirts. Honestly, her booth was stale and the style went out years ago. I could buy her stuff at Walmart cheaper and just as well made.

5. Location, location, location! A show I went to last month had placed items geared toward children in one section near the games for kids. Good and bad. Those without young children didn't go near there, although many could have bought for grandchildren. One booth sold handmade clothes for American Girl dolls. The booth was packed (great for them!). But directly across was a great booth, awesome display of original dolls with different outfits to buy. Booth was dead. If that booth had been somewhere else I bet it would have gotten a lot of attention. Make friends with event organizers or inquire on where you're going to be and ask to change if possible.

6. Location, again. And display. This one show I go to has an aisle where you can view booths from opposite sides. Some booths open for both sides of customers, some close off and you can only see their stuff from one side. Well, not everyone makes it all around. And it's just friendlier having an open display.

7. Talk to other vendors. You will learn so much and make great contacts. I had one lady next to me who bought ALL my gift tags for her soap, just because she didn't have time to make her own. She even gave me some free samples of her items, just because we were chatting. The other people next to me sold candles. Creme Brulee (sp?) was their best seller. Who knew? They actually taught me a lot about inventory and production. They had it down to a science by just writing down what their customers purchased at every show over the years.

8. This one is going to be VERY controversial. I may get hate mail over it. I LOVE making paper crafts. But I don't like making things that are just going to be looked at, wrappers opened, and tossed. Do I really want to dress up a candy bar and triple or quadruple the price to make money? Does that show my talent or creativity? The craft needs to evolve. Make some of the pictures with different designs or larger framed pieces. Or banners or pennants that can be used over and over. You can do amazing things with paper! That adorable Santa you wrapped a candy bar up as could be in a frame or ornament instead and used year after year instead of tossed. You can increase your price for the item and it'll last a lot longer than the memory of eating the candy bar.

9. Stores aren't stupid. Something priced at 2 for $1 vs 50 cents each just sells more at 2 for $1. I price all my cards at $2 or 6 for $10. Sell lots at 6 for $10 all the time. People think they are getting a deal. No, my cards aren't the gorgeous pieces of art that I see in the magazines or on here. But they are still cute and adorable and when they are tossed I won't feel nearly as bad. In fact instead of making a cute, adorable, awesome, complicated card, put that piece of art in a frame! You'll make more money for the same amount of time. If you have an Ikea near you, their frames are wonderful.

10. Turn your craft into art. About 20 years ago my husband and I bought this neat paper cutting of a butterfly and roses. It was framed and cost either $20 or $25. It's hung in my homes in various areas for years. That same item could have been on a card, which would have been tossed. Instead they framed it and I've had it and enjoyed it for 20 years now.

I hope some of these tips are helpful!
Well said Diane! And although the disposables are a great deal of my best sellers, I do agree with you on that point! It's cute to have but also in the end kind of frustrating to know that all that time, effort and $$ is going to get tossed! I did very well this year for the first time in about 15 years of sales. I attribute that to a few things:

1. Changing up my display! I use many things for display and sometimes have more display stuff than stuff to display! I used an old muffin tin to display ornaments as they were not selling well when I hung them from a tree (that still baffles me!!)

2. I changed the shows I went into - I had done one of the shows for so many years, people got bored with me and my stuff. I decided that I would try different shows this year and did very well, as no one knew who I was or knew my products. I will keep a couple of the new ones for next year and find others to do also.

3. I didn't have the same things at all the shows I did this year. Many people "followed" me from show to show because I only had a limited amount of one thing they were buying and they wanted more. I had many comments of "you didn't have this last weekend" and sold more items that way too

4. As I was unemployed for most of the year, I had time to make stuff. I learned that I liked being READY instead of scrambling last minute to get stuff done. My profit reflects this too. I may have not had many items but I had many of the 6 or 7 items I showcased at each sale.

5. I am spending January scoping out new ideas for next year's sale season. I want to keep it fresh and fun and not think it's a chore anymore! I love meeting people and getting out of the house! BUT I have a new job now, so I will have to be very time conscious!

Thanks to everyone here who posts ideas, comments, links and advice! May you all have a very Happy 2013!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #4851
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so far behind on reading posts in this thread! LOL. I made it through all of my shows and it was a very successful season! I have some new ideas for next years shows, and some definite items I will make again.
Right before my last show I discovered Ruffle scarves. Man I wish I had known about these sooner! Anyway, hopefully they will still be in style next year, so Ican add them to items to make!
I was working on special orders for the gals at work right up until Christmas Eve!! So I took off a little while from crafting. Dont want to get burned out after all! Next step is to get my craft room back into order so I can slowly work my way in and get some items made for next years sales.
I missed reading and chatting with you all!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #4852
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
Right before my last show I discovered Ruffle scarves. Man I wish I had known about these sooner! Anyway, hopefully they will still be in style next year, so I can add them to items to make!
Wonderful news that you had such a successful year. When you catch your breath, be sure to let us know what sold the best. I will be doing the same and will include my prices since we all are a bit perplexed with pricing. I am sorry that you had to be working so hard right up to Christmas eve.

OK, now you have me wondering. What are ruffle scarves? Are they knitted or crochet?

Gina, FYI, everyone I gave organizers to, loved them! Thanks.

Lynne
Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #4853
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Wonderful news that you had such a successful year. When you catch your breath, be sure to let us know what sold the best. I will be doing the same and will include my prices since we all are a bit perplexed with pricing. I am sorry that you had to be working so hard right up to Christmas eve.

OK, now you have me wondering. What are ruffle scarves? Are they knitted or crochet?

Lynne
I am glad that everyone liked the organizers! I must confess that I didnt make any other then the ones I made for you this year. They are a lot of work. And if you get the folds off the slightest bit, they just don't work out. But I am glad everyone liked them!
I crochet the scarves, but I am assuming that you can knit them as well. I'll post some photos here.
I will get back to you on the top sellers and their prices. My back has had all it can take of this chair today!
The scarves I ran a special for Christmas they were $10. As of the first I marked them up to $15. This is still a good price considering the yarn isn't cheap. The ones with the smaller holes (like the twist one) the yarn is $4.99. The ones with the larger holes (like Canyon Sunrise) the yarn is $7.99. I had a vendor at my last show come over and tell me I needed to mark them up to at least $25! But I just can't see putting a price tag on them for that high. I now have them posted on my Etsy page as well. I dont know that I am allowed to post the link on the MB so if you'd like to see all the colors message me and I can send the links to you.
Attached Thumbnails
hip-hop-scarf.jpg   twist-scarf.jpg   ballet-scarf.jpg   canyon-sunrise-scarf.jpg   cinnamon-candy-scarf.jpg  

mambo-scarf.jpg   shuffle-scarf.jpg   waltz-scarf.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #4854
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Lynne
It worked out that the gals at work wanted to place orders, but had to wait for paychecks. Or people forgot a person here or there and needed some last minute items.
But that's why I took a little break...I still have orders for the scarves for ladies from work, but they are mostly "gifts to me from me" and didnt need to be finished before Christmas. My daughter (she is 9) also keeps asking me to make her more scarves (I made her a pink one for Christmas, as wella s a matching one for her doll) as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #4855
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
It worked out that the gals at work wanted to place orders, but had to wait for paychecks. Or people forgot a person here or there and needed some last minute items.
But that's why I took a little break...I still have orders for the scarves for ladies from work, but they are mostly "gifts to me from me" and didnt need to be finished before Christmas. My daughter (she is 9) also keeps asking me to make her more scarves (I made her a pink one for Christmas, as wella s a matching one for her doll) as well.
You are incredible. Does not seem that you would have any time to sit and crochet!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:18 AM   #4856
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
You are incredible. Does not seem that you would have any time to sit and crochet!
LOL I wasnt really getting much sleep...more time to craft!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #4857
Kookie Creator

Gina,
These are fantastic, I love ALL the colors! I agree that $15 is not enough.
Enjoy your well deserved break!

Quote:
I am glad that everyone liked the organizers! I must confess that I didnt make any other then the ones I made for you this year. They are a lot of work. And if you get the folds off the slightest bit, they just don't work out. But I am glad everyone liked them!
I crochet the scarves, but I am assuming that you can knit them as well. I'll post some photos here.
I will get back to you on the top sellers and their prices. My back has had all it can take of this chair today!
The scarves I ran a special for Christmas they were $10. As of the first I marked them up to $15. This is still a good price considering the yarn isn't cheap. The ones with the smaller holes (like the twist one) the yarn is $4.99. The ones with the larger holes (like Canyon Sunrise) the yarn is $7.99. I had a vendor at my last show come over and tell me I needed to mark them up to at least $25! But I just can't see putting a price tag on them for that high. I now have them posted on my Etsy page as well. I dont know that I am allowed to post the link on the MB so if you'd like to see all the colors message me and I can send the links to you.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #4858
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2girl View Post
Gina,
These are fantastic, I love ALL the colors! I agree that $15 is not enough.
Enjoy your well deserved break!
I know that $15 isnt a lot, but on Etsy most are charging about $15. If they are still in stlye next year (Christmas) I may try to get more. But..only time will tell!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #4859
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Yes, these scarves are beautiful. In my area, these scarves have been "discovered" as the markets were saturated with them. I don't knit or crochet but there were several vendors at each show selling them, so I am guessing they are easy to make?? They are so pretty.
Depending on the show here..the prices ranged from $10 to $25.

Is crocheting easy?? I tend to stay away from anything involving any kind of needle! lol
Old 01-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #4860
Polyshrink Goddess

Diane these scarves are easy to make! Not a lot of work go into them at all! Google Ruffle Scarves and you can see for yourself.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #4861
Polyshrink Goddess

bump
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #4862
Rubber Obsessor

Gina, how many skeins does it take to make one scarf? They are really pretty. I like crocheting. The new inventions in yarns are amazing.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #4863
Insane Embellisher

Do Ben Franklin stores have online coupons? I am headed near one later this month.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #4864
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

their web site says all the retail stores are independently owned and ben franklins crafts online does not price match or product match what retail stores are doing...

I have never seen a coupon for them, but the closest store to me is 3 1/2 hours north...

http://www.benfranklin.com/store_locator.php
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #4865
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Do Ben Franklin stores have online coupons? I am headed near one later this month.
The one in Redmond only has them around long weekends. They recently had a giftcard sale where you could purchase a $25 GC for $20. Don't ask me why I didn't get one for myself
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #4866
Insane Embellisher

I know this has probably been addressed somewhere on this thread, but it's too long to read all the way through.

My friend sells lovely handmade jewelry at equine specific events. She's got a booth at our state's big equine fair next month, the week before Valentine's day. She has asked me to make some cards to put in her booth to help make it a one-stop shop. I am not going to make a bunch, maybe 20, but am lost as to what to put inside. I planned to make a few valentines, a few birthday and a few non-specific horsey. Do you put a sentiment inside?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #4867
FiP
Rubber Obsessor

I always put a sentiment inside, on a 1/2 sheet of printer paper. I sell with an envelope in a plastic/cello bag, with a little piece of paper inside the bag to indicate what the inside words are. The only exception is Thank you cards, which I usually leave blank.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #4868
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weims View Post
I know this has probably been addressed somewhere on this thread, but it's too long to read all the way through.

My friend sells lovely handmade jewelry at equine specific events. She's got a booth at our state's big equine fair next month, the week before Valentine's day. She has asked me to make some cards to put in her booth to help make it a one-stop shop. I am not going to make a bunch, maybe 20, but am lost as to what to put inside. I planned to make a few valentines, a few birthday and a few non-specific horsey. Do you put a sentiment inside?
I almost always put something on the inside of my cards. If it says happy birthday on the outside you can simply state something like celebrate, or enjoy on the inside. And decorate the inside with versamark of something (i.e., flowers, candles). It spruces up the plain white paper if your using an insert, or the blankness of the CS itself if your not.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #4869
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by weims View Post

I don't put anything inside the card.. mostly because I find the inside sentimemt gets in the way of what I want to write when I send a card. Also, it keeps it simple.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #4870
Inking Addict

Does anyone have Easter ideas for items to sell at craft fairs?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #4871
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecym View Post
Does anyone have Easter ideas for items to sell at craft fairs?
BOO-BOO BUNNIES
Peeps on a Stick
attempting creative: Plaid Shirt Eggs Tutorial
Instructions for How to Make a Tutu | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Items similar to scrappy tutu on Etsy
Brassy Apple: London Raquel - GIVEAWAY!
matsutake: waiting
Easter craft fair ideas / easter wreath - Google Afbeeldingen
Old 02-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #4872
Inking Addict

Thanks so much, love the Boo Boo Bunnies. I will welcome more ideas, not sure about doing the craft fair, I have a conference to go to. Decisions, Decisions.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #4873
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Okay these bags, take an entire 8.5X11 piece of paper to create... take me about as much time as an card. so did all ten of these ( on the blog I did not write down paper names yesterday so, have not put them in the gallery yet) and these are completely empty...
Stacy's Memory Triggers: Gift Bags
price ideas??

thanks,
Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #4874
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
Okay these bags, take an entire 8.5X11 piece of paper to create... take me about as much time as an card. so did all ten of these ( on the blog I did not write down paper names yesterday so, have not put them in the gallery yet) and these are completely empty...
Stacy's Memory Triggers: Gift Bags
price ideas??

thanks,
Went to your blog and looked at your gift bags - they are wonderful! Makes me wish I had the Big Shot instead of the Cuttlebug so I could make some.

I haven't done a craft show in a couple of years, so don't have a good idea of how you should price them, but they are sure cute!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #4875
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

my gal at work is thinking 3-4 dollars ( so 3.50) for the tall bags and then 2.50 for the basket shape ( if I put in a pinch of basket filler crimpped paper)
Old 02-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #4876
FiP
Rubber Obsessor

Bugga in OK, I'm not sure which die Stacy used for her bag-making, but I can use Bigz dies in my cuttlebug. If someone tells me the die used, I can tell you my 'sandwich'.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #4877
Gabfest Goddess

She has a link to the die, it is a Bigz Pro die, I don't think it will hit in a cuttlebug or a big shot/ big kick either.
Proud RAK Member
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #4878
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
Bugga in OK, I'm not sure which die Stacy used for her bag-making, but I can use Bigz dies in my cuttlebug. If someone tells me the die used, I can tell you my 'sandwich'.
Thank you. I have a couple of the Bigz dies, and you are right, they work in the Cuttlebug.

Like Mary says, the die for the gift bags is a Bigz Pro, which is longer than the regular Bigz dies, so I don't think it will fit.

Those sure are cute bags, though.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #4879
FiP
Rubber Obsessor

Just looked up YouTube to see a Bigz Pro. Yikes, they are twice as wide as a Bigz XL, and I see why you need the Pro machine! Yup, cute bags!!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #4880
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

yep, sorry just seen these posts ( been sick ) but, the pro machine ( with out the extended pads ) you can put a 12" sheet of paper on the dies without cutting them down.
at Christmas time ( like the week before) I seen an ad at Sizzix for that machine with the basket die ( of which I only used part of it) and some of the plates for 350. and free shipping and I mentioned it to my hubs ( I have been eyeballing this machine for a while now) and he got it for me with a few extra dies. ( off the sale/clearance rack)

Last edited by JBgreendawn; 02-20-2013 at 10:01 AM..