Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #4801
Matboard Maniac

Default your booth

Thank you for the information. I just love the way your booth looks. The candy bars are soooo cut, and really look big.

I would love to get them a try next year if you don't mind.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #4802
FiP
Rubber Obsessor

Stacy, In Australia, I don't think Easter crafting is very big. I would be aiming for Mothers Day gifts, with lots of signs suggesting that's what my booth had. I'm not sure if people would have their minds on Mothers Day before Easter, but hopefully they might. You could also do a few Easter things. (I have no ideas for that, but over there, you guys seem more into it!)
Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #4803
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
So... the school where I do the one 2 day show in November wants to put on one in the Spring ( either before Easter or before Mothers day) and (no date yet) but, was asked if I was interested in this... I've never done a spring show ( ever ) so... I'm debating if it would be a good idea to make something besides cards and tags (and I have to start soon ) because, I'm still bitten by the Christmas bug here and I am nearly out of birthday cards.

So, last year ( not this last nov. but 2011) I had some "crafter stocking stuffers" which were vintage jello molds filled with vintage buttons and then some vintage lace 1 yard wound on round wood clothes pins. ( all the buttons sold and the lace only sold one blue piece) So... do you think something like this, I have tons of vintage jello molds ( and stuff it follows me home from yard sales) and if it was before Mothers day maybe "crafty chick gifts?" but, would people buy little things like this to craft with for Easter?

I'm rambling I know, but I figured I could pick your brains because, If I say things like this out loud to people I know who don't craft they are all just they agree with me no matter what I say.
I am doing three shows this Spring...two before Easter and one before Mother's day.
I would think that some of the crafting stuff would sell. I would love to come across vintage buttons and lace, LOL!
I am planning Easter, MOther's Day, teacher's gifts and graduation stuff for the Spring
Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #4804
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlynne View Post
Thank you for the information. I just love the way your booth looks. The candy bars are soooo cut, and really look big.

I would love to get them a try next year if you don't mind.
Not at all We got the idea and directions from Pinterest. I'll tell you though, that we didn't sell many Angry Birds at all. The Snowmen candy bars sold much better, which is the opposite of what I thought would happen.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #4805

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendykins View Post
I am doing three shows this Spring...two before Easter and one before Mother's day.
I would think that some of the crafting stuff would sell. I would love to come across vintage buttons and lace, LOL!
I am planning Easter, MOther's Day, teacher's gifts and graduation stuff for the Spring
There's a place down the road a ways that does mail order only and they have vintage lace and buttons. It's called Farm House Fabrics. Farmhouse Fabrics, LLC

On the first Friday of each month, they open for people in our area to come in a shop. Their stuff is sooooo much better than what you find in Joanns and Hobby Lobby. Better quality fabric, and the variety is astonding.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #4806

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
Carole....what a great set up!! Super fun and very organized! =)
Glad you did well...it's always fun to make some money and I know what you mean...mine is also spent but that's why I do these around Christmas...good spending money!
Thanks!

My Stampin' Up! order came yesterday. (I spent most of my money) Did you hear me squealing from way down here in South Carolina? I had the biggest goofy grin on my face the WHOLE afternoon Punches and Paper and Stamps OH MY! I had the most fun, labeling and organizing and putting all my new toys away
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #4807
Cardstock Collector

I know that I do not post on here very often, but here is an idea for you ladies, a week ago Monday I did my very first craft show. I was able to get in touch with the director of the Senior Housing apartment. A huge one, 11 floors. They gave me the whole community room, no fee, and they even advertised for me. I made over $250.00! The seniors were thrilled to have a craft show come to them. Many remarked that they never get to see any neat items or even buy any because they cannot get out to the craft shows, due to health & mobility reasons. The Director was such a sweet lady and set it up for my show to be on the seniors payday. I had a steady stream of traffic and lots of fun conversations. If you do not mind being patient and helping them, they love to buy, but do not get the chance.
2 days after the show I got a call from the Director, they would like me to come back 3-4 times a year. Valentines, Easter, Halloween, & of course Christmas. I gladly accepted.

So maybe this might be something that you ladies can try? I did it on a whim, and got very lucky. I am now checking out other Senior housings to see what more I can do.

Also, I am still getting calls from some seniors wanting more of this or that, and they LOVE personalized items. Thursday I get to load up the SUV and make more deliveries! So the sales have not stopped!

Lastly, a HUGE thank you for you ladies sharing your talents, ideas, & pictures! I read alot here, but rarely post. But now that I have my first show under my belt, I feel like a junkie, I want to do more and more shows. I know that not all shows go well, but from what I can see seniors are the way to go for me!!!
HAPPY CRAFTING LADIES!!!!!!
KraftyKat54 likes this post.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #4808
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanie0469 View Post
Lastly, a HUGE thank you for you ladies sharing your talents, ideas, & pictures! I read alot here, but rarely post. But now that I have my first show under my belt, I feel like a junkie, I want to do more and more shows. I know that not all shows go well, but from what I can see seniors are the way to go for me!!!
HAPPY CRAFTING LADIES!!!!!!
What a great idea and congrats!

Can you share some pics of some of your items, or tell us what you are making and selling. We would love to hear all about it!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #4809
Matboard Maniac

Yes, Jeanie 0469, tell us what type of items the seniors were interested in. Were they things for themselves and friends in the center with them, or for their family members? I know my mom was in a rehab center for 3 months and there is not much room for "cute" or decorative items, or really anything else due to storage issues. I would love to try this idea, but have no clue what to make to interest them. My mom's likes/dislikes can't count because she likes it just because I made it for her!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #4810
Rubber Obsessor

What a great idea Jeanie. I have some contacts at one of our senior centers, I'll have to check it out.

Easter crafts for children might be great to sell. I would gear items towards Mother's day gifts and graduation.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #4811
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to kspiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
Thanks!

My Stampin' Up! order came yesterday. (I spent most of my money) Did you hear me squealing from way down here in South Carolina? I had the biggest goofy grin on my face the WHOLE afternoon Punches and Paper and Stamps OH MY! I had the most fun, labeling and organizing and putting all my new toys away
OH was that you, Carole?! haha I used to do the same thing when I was an SU demo....loved getting my orders and opening the boxes!

I mostly order from the Clearance Rack when they update it but am thinking of ordering some items I feel I need...."feel" I "need"! ha!....I have enough stuff to last a lifetime! Am thinking I need Gumball Green cardstock for next year's stuff and also, that owl punch so I can do the reindeer I always see....that would make some of my crafting easier, I think.

This is kind of a silly question now that I'm done with my shows, but I was wondering where everyone gets their Christmas paper? I love to make many of my items with DSP or other Christmasy paper but am having a hard time finding things that I like. Our Hobby Lobby and Michael's had a pitiful selection and I am really depleting my SU stock of Christmas DSP. Also, I am finding that much of the SU Christmas DSP over the last couple of years uses Very Vanilla as its neutral instead of white, and I prefer white as the nuetral since I print most of my sayings and stuff out on white. Would love to hear from everyone as to where you are finding some awesome Christmas paper? I do like 12x12 because it makes it easier for those larger projects but I just bought a few of the 6x6 paper stacks at Michaels yesterday when they were 40% off.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #4812
Glitter Guru

Jeanie....what an great idea! I also know that they older people who come to the shows love getting little items for everyone and it's hard for them to get out so this is perfect way to help the ones who can't get out at least be able to still shop for their loved ones!
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #4813
Rubber Obsessor

I've always purchased my Christmas papers on clearance after the holiday.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #4814
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Some of the stores around here ( smaller ones) are starting to mark down Christmas papers now... ( if you like the little 6" pads for cards and such)
Old 12-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #4815
Insane Embellisher

I also have a hard time finding nice xmas papers that are cheap enough to be used for craft show items. Sometimes I buy the thinner papers and adhere them to white cardstock to create papers.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #4816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I also have a hard time finding nice xmas papers that are cheap enough to be used for craft show items. Sometimes I buy the thinner papers and adhere them to white cardstock to create papers.
Hey Diane, you might find something you like on the Stampin' Up Clearance Rack. They just put a whole bunch of new things up there yesterday. Kelly and I both found cheap paper and ribbon that we thought would be good for craft show things. Pleated ribbon for 1.39 a spool, gorgeous dsp for 2.19 - it's retired but for a craft show who cares right? I got several wide striped ribbon for 3.99 a spool and there's 10 yards on it!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #4817
Kookie Creator

Quote:
OH was that you, Carole?! haha I used to do the same thing when I was an SU demo....loved getting my orders and opening the boxes!

I mostly order from the Clearance Rack when they update it but am thinking of ordering some items I feel I need...."feel" I "need"! ha!....I have enough stuff to last a lifetime! Am thinking I need Gumball Green cardstock for next year's stuff and also, that owl punch so I can do the reindeer I always see....that would make some of my crafting easier, I think.

This is kind of a silly question now that I'm done with my shows, but I was wondering where everyone gets their Christmas paper? I love to make many of my items with DSP or other Christmasy paper but am having a hard time finding things that I like. Our Hobby Lobby and Michael's had a pitiful selection and I am really depleting my SU stock of Christmas DSP. Also, I am finding that much of the SU Christmas DSP over the last couple of years uses Very Vanilla as its neutral instead of white, and I prefer white as the nuetral since I print most of my sayings and stuff out on white. Would love to hear from everyone as to where you are finding some awesome Christmas paper? I do like 12x12 because it makes it easier for those larger projects but I just bought a few of the 6x6 paper stacks at Michaels yesterday when they were 40% off.
Kelly,
I think you should take a roadtrip to my store in Oak Creek, WI (southern Milwaukee suburb) and check out my Christmas papers. lol I'll make it worth your while! My Paper Playground - Home
I know what you mean about the vanilla background on paper, it seems like most of the companies are going that route this year.

Sharon
Old 12-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #4818

Quote:

I like double sided paper for craft show items and HL and M don't have much in that form. I got mine off the SU Clearance Rack. It had ornaments on one side and a pretty kind of argyle pattern on some of the others. I forgot the name of it, but it was the only xmas dsp on the CR.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #4819
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Hey Diane, you might find something you like on the Stampin' Up Clearance Rack. They just put a whole bunch of new things up there yesterday. Kelly and I both found cheap paper and ribbon that we thought would be good for craft show things. Pleated ribbon for 1.39 a spool, gorgeous dsp for 2.19 - it's retired but for a craft show who cares right? I got several wide striped ribbon for 3.99 a spool and there's 10 yards on it!
I was thinking the same thing. There are some crazy good deals on the CR!
Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #4820
Cardstock Collector

[QUOTE=am2106;17252000]I had asked this on the last thread but only had one response so I'm trying again on the new thread

...I need ideas on how to attach velcro to the mini portfolios made from file folders..

What are mini portfolios? Do you sell these at craft fairs?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #4821
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I looked but I don't like paying the ship/handling fees of SU. I try to make sure I order alot in order to justify these fees.
What can I say - I am cheap! I don't order anything online unless shipping is free either.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #4822
Inking Addict

Attaching Velcro...Velcro is available self-sticking and in various sizes. I got mine at Joann's in the notions section.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #4823
Insane Embellisher

Here are the photos of the hot chocolate packs someone asked me to post. And I added a pic of my ghirardelli squares.

The squares were confusing to people. They didn't know what they were and I didn't open a sample. They all sold eventually! lol
Attached Thumbnails
hot-chocolate-packs-4-.jpg   hot-chocolate-packs-5-.jpg   ghirardelli-choc-squares-5-.jpg  
Old 12-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #4824

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Here are the photos of the hot chocolate packs someone asked me to post. And I added a pic of my ghirardelli squares.

The squares were confusing to people. They didn't know what they were and I didn't open a sample. They all sold eventually! lol
I love these Diane! My snowman soup in a can did not sell well at all. I'm going to use your idea next year!
Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #4825
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Diane those are adorable I like that you added the stir candy to them.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #4826
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Did you guys see this in the gallery yesterday?
Fun Hot Coco Treats by Chanron - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

( I think its cute ) if you do the foodie things...
Old 12-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #4827
Pearl-ExPert

Diane your hot chocolate and ghirardelli packs are so cute!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #4828
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBgreendawn View Post
Did you guys see this in the gallery yesterday?
Fun Hot Coco Treats by Chanron - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

( I think its cute ) if you do the foodie things...
I did something similar but I did 2 of those clear 1 x 8 bags....1 had the hot chocolate (2 tsp, which is a serving, fit inside 1 of them) and the other had a few mini chocolate chips and 10 mini marshmallows. I made a backing out of cardstock and christmas DSP and it folded down over the top of the 2 smaller tubes and I slide them in a pretzel bag. I cut off a bit and made a topper for it. They turned out really cute! Everyone loved them and I coulda sold more of those but I think I had 22 made and sold them all the first day.

These shown would be way easier! (But I'm not going to lie...I am too OCD to have it like that...the cocoa getting all over the marshmallows would make me crazy! Hence why I did the 2 separate bags. =)

You can kind of see the one left in this pic....back, middle, in a clear holder. The tag is folded back unfortunately, but its a snowman that says something about warm cocoa wishes (its a digital one I bought).
Attached Thumbnails
some-craft-fair-items.jpg  

Last edited by kspiv; 12-18-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #4829
Glitter Guru

Yes Carole...I was thrilled to find so many christmas things (or colors I will use for Christmas) on the clearance rack! I spent nearly $100 but I have plenty of paper and I got some other DSPs I had really wanted and now got! Yay!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #4830
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2girl View Post
Kelly,
I think you should take a roadtrip to my store in Oak Creek, WI (southern Milwaukee suburb) and check out my Christmas papers. lol I'll make it worth your while! My Paper Playground - Home
I know what you mean about the vanilla background on paper, it seems like most of the companies are going that route this year.

Sharon
Sharon...I think I should! That sounds like a great girls' roadtrip since we all love to scrapbook and very few stores are left around here. Plus, I've never been to WI so there's a good excuse!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #4831
Glitter Guru

Diane...I love your cocoa packets and Ghiradelli treats! May I ask, is that stir stick a candy that's chocolate covered? Those are awesome! Is that a Canadian treat...I havent really seen anything like that around here. I had thought of making some dipped peppermint sticks tho.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #4832
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Diane...I love your cocoa packets and Ghiradelli treats! May I ask, is that stir stick a candy that's chocolate covered? Those are awesome! Is that a Canadian treat...I havent really seen anything like that around here. I had thought of making some dipped peppermint sticks tho.
Thanks everyone!
The stick is a peppermint stick coated in chocolate. I think maybe "Bogdon" is brand name??! not sure.
They are not from Canada - I actually cannot find them here. I found them online at a candy shop. I love them so much..too cute!
They were more expensive (maybe 25cents ea) than the hot choc packs though which are 10cents ea when bought at Walmart (30pack).

I sold them $3 each at beginning of season. Sold lots so made more. I think I made 90 total. Still a good profit.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #4833
Cardstock Collector

I have a question. I want to get into papercrafting it looks so interesting with all the cute things that can be made.

How did you ladies start off? What kind of equipment, paper, tape, etc... did you start with?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #4834
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookcrafter View Post
I have a question. I want to get into papercrafting it looks so interesting with all the cute things that can be made.

How did you ladies start off? What kind of equipment, paper, tape, etc... did you start with?

Thanks
Hi and Welcome! Papercrafting is a total addiction, which is why many of us turn to selling at craft fairs....haha!

I started with scrapbooking, then evolved to cards, then on to the cute 3-D type of items. So when I started, I had bought a bunch of stuff from Creative Memories for scrapbooking. Then I found Stampin' Up for cardmaking and bought a bunch of their stuff, then I found a bunch of other companies and bought a bunch of their stuff! So, needless to say, I HAVE A BUNCH OF STUFF! =)

Everyone has their personal preferences on their equipment. It is best to find what works best for you. I have paper cutters from Creative Memories and Stampin' Up...both are different kinds...the one from SU is their guillotine style which is what I use most.

As for adhesives, I have about every kind of thing in the world too and I use it all because different projects call for different adhesives. I mostly use Tombow Mono Multi glue for projects. I like its hold! I only use tape runner occassionally but many people swear by the Tombow tape runners. Sticky strip tape is another one that is great for putting together boxes and other 3-D items.

There is cardstock and then Designer Paper, which can be 1 sided printed or 2 sided printed. It can come in various sizes from 6x6 to 12x12. It is nice to have both for projects, especially like all of us here do, where you are selling items. DSP (Designer Series Paper or Double Sided Paper) is good because it adds alot to an item without as much work as stamping, etc.

I would start looking around at some of the member companies' products here, visit the Stampin' Up website and check out some of their stuff, and just look around in general in the gallery to see things you like. Many times it links back to a blog or gives a description of items they used and where they got them.

Mostly, have fun, start off small to make sure you like it and you can check here on the Buy/Sell/Trade Forums to find some deals on stamp sets, etc.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #4835
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Quote:

Thanks
what I started with is not what I use now... through trial and error I have learned what I dont like. so my advice to you is to NOT run to the nearest craft store with your coupons and debit card and buy one of everything... most of it you dont need... and some you will not like...

so, what you really need is the patience to learn what works and why it works... and research things.

I started with stampin' up papers because, that is what I was exposed to first.
I still buy their cardstock. I think part of what you buy depends on what you want to create. a lot of the tools for paper crafting, cards or scrapbooking are the same. so that helps. part of what you need will depend on your own personal style. I found I like to create standing up. I do not have the right perspective sitting down, so I use nearly every time I play.
and guillotine style paper cutter, detail scissors (cutterbees), a bone folder, an an ATG gun for adhesive but I own lots of kinds of adhesive that is just my first reached for item and I add glue dots or what not as needed.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #4836

Quote:

Thanks
Wow! When I first started, over 20 years ago, I had a stamp pad, a stamp and embossing powder. I didn't have a heat gun so I used the side of the toaster Back then I thought that embossing was the coolest thing since sliced bread!

The basic things you'd need to get started are card stock, paper cutter, adhesive, stamps and ink pads.

A paper trimmer with a blade is a less expensive way to go for a beginner. Although I've been doing this a long time and I use one most of the time! It scores and cuts so I save space not having two things out on my desk.

For a beginner, I'd recommend a stamp set. That way you get a few stamps that go together and would give you some variety as well. Also a basic black ink pad like Stazon and a few basic colors. I also like the Tombo multi purpose glue and a tape runner is a must have in my opinion. I love the Glue Glider Pro. Sticks like crazy and my stuff doesn't come apart. I will tell you what NOT to get. Even though I'm a demonstrator, I do not recommend Stampin' Up's "Snail tape runner." It does not stick - doesn't hold worth a flip. I love the company's products but not that one. I agree with a previous poster, that it would be a good idea to look at the member companies. Once you find one that appeals to you, that can help you make choices that will be easier on your budget. Any of the companies that have demonstrators can help you select things that work together and will be cheaper.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #4837
Gallery Gazer

Hookcrafter

I'm also a stand up person while I papercraft I think you get a better view I feel odd sitting down to do anything but colour in.

My first item was decal scissors and I still use and have them now. Know that unless you are scrapbooking it doesnn't need to be acid free so you can delve into your sewing cabinet for items (I love to use my tracing wheel and cottons), your office desk for brads, a ruler and other basics. Office supply stores are great for my guillotine, pens, water colour pencils etc. My first stamp pad was a basic office stamp pad with only 2 sayings, happy birthday and merry christmas, I changed to better later.
My white card stock comes from a pack of Alpine 200 A4 sheets (stationary shop).

Sometimes cheap will not do, finding the right adhesives/glue is what took me the longest to figure out (I had things fall off the front.). I use 'express it' adhesive tape in different widths most times and a ZIG glue pen for finer stuff.

My first big ticket item was a cuttle bug I bought on special.

My suggestion is make a list of possible things to have and look at the stores around, note who has what prices and go back, it may be a nuisance at first but will be worth it.

Here is a great thread to have a peek at though it will take a while to read.

Last edited by Kduff; 12-20-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Old 12-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #4838
FiP
Rubber Obsessor

Hookcrafter - if you're not already a stamper, I'd start with a set of sayings and a few images that you like. Practise with each stamp before you use it to get the feel of what to do to get a nice image. I use printer paper as an insert on my cards. If you goof stamping the words inside, don't attach it, just try again. I also use 'express-it' brand adhesive tape, which has a white paper backing and doesn't need scissors to cut pieces off. If you emboss, do invest in an anti-static pillow to avoid those stray bits. When I started seriously crafting, I ran out and bought everything from $2 stores. So now, I have lots of sequins and stickers, etc that I'll end up giving away. Try to start slow, and don't invest in alot of expensive stuff right off the bat. If you're able to access classes, attend a couple. Or the internet probably has plenty to help beginners. I think we probably all cringe when we look at our crafted efforts when we started (even tho we thought they were excellent at the time), but it's a learning process like everything else in life. Enjoy!!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #4839
Insane Embellisher

ok..so what is this "express it" adhesive you gals are talking about??
I cannot believe there is an adhesive I don't own! Where do you buy it?
Old 12-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #4840
Stazon Splitcoast

I know in one of these threads crafters were wanting more Christmas papers for working on next years crafts. An email sale notice for today only at Michaels lists Christmas Paper Pads at $7.99 each (reg. $19.99) while supplies last.