Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree146Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #4601
Pearl-ExPert

I have thought of doing some framed art (simple stamped or die cut pictures) for the fairs, but I never seem to get around it. I try to do something new each year but that usually means just a different pattern for gift cards or candy. But those thing sell. My table is mostly under $5 items and yes you need to sell a lot to make money, but under $5 sell quite well. I have been to sales where there are papercrafters there (last year was the first time that I ran into one at every sale I did) and they had bigger ticket items or way more involved items (like gift tags that were 4 for $5 - they were beautiful) but she wasn't selling much. Maybe time wise she made more money than I did because the little things take so long to make, but I do it when I'm 'wasting time' watching tv. But I did love her stuff and did buy the tags for special gifts.

And I will also say that I am SHOCKED (not really but) when people buy my candy items (like the MM sticks) and just walk away eating them! Apparently they wanted a candy fix and they were going to pay whatever for it.

last year I put my left over Halloween candy on my table (the one I do this weekend) to get rid of it but people just ate the candy and didn't buy MY candy I was selling. So I'm not going to do that this year. If they want candy, they gotta pay for it!

MY GALLERY
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #4602
Glitter Guru

Ugh! I waited to the last minute (tomorrow is the show!) to print out the mini snowman wrappers and now I can't find it on my computer! Does anyone have it saved....the one for the little hershey bars, I think it was either 6 or 8 per page....HELP!!!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #4603
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Yes, I can't attach the file on here though.

Here is a link to the one I use:
Laurie Furnell: Snowman Candy Bar Wrapper...
Old 11-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #4604
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
Yes, I can't attach the file on here though.

Here is a link to the one I use:
Laurie Furnell: Snowman Candy Bar Wrapper...
I have that one already...just need the one that someone had already sized for the little hershey bars...don't have time to fuss with resizing myself, but will do it after tomorrows show...oh well, lets hope i don't eat all the little hershey bars before my next show in three weeks, LOL!
Old 11-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #4605
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendykins View Post
I have that one already...just need the one that someone had already sized for the little hershey bars...don't have time to fuss with resizing myself, but will do it after tomorrows show...oh well, lets hope i don't eat all the little hershey bars before my next show in three weeks, LOL!
I have it resized on a powerpoint slide if you want to PM me your email I can send it to you.

Also I use clear small ponytail elastics instead of the wire around the hat. Quicker and no sore fingers from wire!!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #4606
Glitter Guru

Here is the word document for those of you who also may have been looking for the snack size hershey bar wrapper printout....thanks to MonicaR for doing all the hard work....now to print them out and wrap them up!
Attached Files
File Type: doc snowmanwrapper.doc (712.0 KB, 126 views)
Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #4607
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneo View Post
3. Don't over make but go for variety...
I usually have lots of my tried and true items that sell very well from year to year, and each year I will have three or four new items. I will usually only make a dozen at most of those new items so that I can gauge how they will sell. If they sell well, then I make note of it so that I have more for next year, if they don't sell well, then I am not stuck with a whole ton of them. I learned that the hard way - I made (what I considered to be) the most adorable "survival" bags - they were very nice SU brown striped bags/boxes from the Clearance rack. I made 20 each of 4 different types - a get well one (had pocket sized tissues, Liptons chicken soup packets, chamomile tea packs, fruit snacks, pocket sized crossword puzzle book with pencil, and other random stuff), a chocolate fix one, and two more that I can't remember now. Anyway, I sold exactly - NONE! So I had to take back 80 kits - unpack them all, ate Liptons soup for a month, and still have the crossword puzzle books. Oh, and I hate tea....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianneo View Post
8. This one is going to be VERY controversial. I may get hate mail over it. I LOVE making paper crafts. But I don't like making things that are just going to be looked at, wrappers opened, and tossed. Do I really want to dress up a candy bar and triple or quadruple the price to make money? Does that show my talent or creativity? The craft needs to evolve. Make some of the pictures with different designs or larger framed pieces. Or banners or pennants that can be used over and over. You can do amazing things with paper! That adorable Santa you wrapped a candy bar up as could be in a frame or ornament instead and used year after year instead of tossed. You can increase your price for the item and it'll last a lot longer than the memory of eating the candy bar.
No hate mail here, just a valid opinion. I find that having some small ticket items helps draw people to your booth. Also, I try to market things like that as "great stocking stuffers, or great teachers/bus drivers/crossing guard, etc gifts. Once there, they might stay a while and buy the bigger ticket items. If not, they may just walk away with only the smaller ticket items, but in the end they still bought something. I have heard complaints the other way - "her items are so beautiful but I just can't afford/have no room for such a large/expensive piece. I wish she had something small to buy".

This year, I am trying to market some of my items (I sell at a combined craft table at our church's annual bazaar) as recycled/repurposed/green. I made snowmen and penguins out of burned out lightbulbs, altered pringles cans to make cookie gift containers, turned Laughing Cow cheese containers into gift card holders, old tea tins into gift boxes, and the boxes that you get cheques from the bank in into boxes to hold gift tag sets.

God, I hope this stuff sells......
Old 11-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #4608
Glitter Queen

Diane I researched the Burnaby one and that's where I live so I really want to do it but too bad I already have a fair that day so next year and I will upload pictures after my fair tomorrow I am freaking out
Old 11-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #4609
Insane Embellisher

I use the $1 items like the m&m sticks to draw people to the table also.
BUT, you cannot argue with the results. I sold 100 of these today, and most people who bought them also purchased at least one other item.

Have a look at my facebook page. I just posted a wide angled photo of my table at the show today. I am still there tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #4610
Glitter Queen

You are so lucky my first fair kinda sucked I was lucky enough to make my table booth back unlike many because there was no traffic for like a couple of hours there was actually no one and the others there was like 1 person every ten minute now I know not to do first time fairs I made 30 after the fee so that kinda sucks because I was so board there I managed to get tons of homework done do you guys have booth photos because I bought way too much stuff and my booth was overcrowded help please and congrats on everyone's fairs this weekend
Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 AM   #4611
Glitter Guru

My fair turned out pretty well yesterday, it was slow to begin, not alot of vendors there, but they had other things going on...blood drive, basketball reg, so people wandered in....and then they shoppped! Yay! This was one of the earliest Christmas shows I have done, so I wondered what types of things to bring. So I went light on the candy sticks, chocolate bars and such ( i figured it was too early for those) and brought more of the giftables....sold a bunch of single cards(shocker!), and all of my frames, so that was cool and then a few of the little stocking stuffer type things. All in all, made a good profit and had fun.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 AM   #4612
Polyshrink Goddess

My second show (first one in November) did pretty well. It was the third show I did at this location the last few years. Considering the show was 2 hours shorted this year, and a lot of people in the area are still without power, I did pretty well. I made almost 10 times the price of the table, so I was happy. Next week I have a 2 day (all day Fri and all day Sat) show. I have never been to that show as a vendor, only a shopper, and it's always huge! So I am a little nervous...mostly about selling out!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:09 AM   #4613
Polyshrink Goddess

LOL that sounded bad....I would LOVE to sell out, but it will be crazy trying to restock in time for the next show, which is the following weekend.

Oh forgot to say...a woman who made some purchases approached me about doing to more events this year. One for where she works, they have a show where their employees can shop, and one for her church. So maybe I'll be doing them too!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #4614
Rubber Obsessor

Default yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I use the $1 items like the m&m sticks to draw people to the table also.
BUT, you cannot argue with the results. I sold 100 of these today, and most people who bought them also purchased at least one other item.

Have a look at my facebook page. I just posted a wide angled photo of my table at the show today. I am still there tomorrow.
Way to go Diane!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #4615
Rubber Obsessor

Hey girls I just made some of the large comp books with matching pens and covered them in cello thanks Dianecraft Now to price I was thinking $5 is that too little or to high? I also have smaller notebooks im not sure what to price them at either what do you ladies charge? Any feedback would be helpful I have my first winter craft fair this weekend in a nursing home. img_4060.jpg

My blog ~ http://faithhopecrafts.blogspot.com/
Old 11-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #4616
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
I just bought a roll of clear cello and wrapped that around them. I do like to wrap all my items, if I can. It makes them more sturdy and durable. Since I do alot of shows, they can stay in good shape for the packing and unpacking... and also for storing until the next year.

I didn't make any new ones of those this year, but have 4 left from last year I will try to sell. They are just too large on my table! lol

I meant to say thanks for the cello roll tip

My blog ~ http://faithhopecrafts.blogspot.com/
Old 11-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #4617
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandianna View Post
I meant to say thanks for the cello roll tip
I know what you meant. You are welcome.

I price mine at $5 and the mini comp book & pen sets for $3.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #4618
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
My fair turned out pretty well yesterday, it was slow to begin, not alot of vendors there, but they had other things going on...blood drive, basketball reg, so people wandered in....and then they shoppped! Yay! This was one of the earliest Christmas shows I have done, so I wondered what types of things to bring. So I went light on the candy sticks, chocolate bars and such ( i figured it was too early for those) and brought more of the giftables....sold a bunch of single cards(shocker!), and all of my frames, so that was cool and then a few of the little stocking stuffer type things. All in all, made a good profit and had fun.
Congrats!
What are your "frames"?? Any pics?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #4619
Glitter Queen

Wow Diane big table I was wondering how do u guys fit everything in a 6 inch table I had trouble
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #4620
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Congrats!
Thanks...these are frames that i have been making for a few years...seems like they always sell, I was just surprised this time, that they all sold to two people...
Here are some from my gallery
Peace
Family

Jingle didn't sell all of these....yet!
and here is a link to my FB page with the button frame and I don't have a photo of the rainbow butterfly or heart frame, but it was a shadowbox frame as well and i did a rainbow effect with butterflys and hearts across a blue background...don't have a photo, so I will have to remake those from memory!

Now I make all these with different papers, whatever i have lying around...and I pick up the shadowbox frames from Michaels and Joann's with a coupon or when they are on sale. The long family frames are from Walmart for $3 (or at least the last time i bought them thats what they were) Now i need to find more frames, before the 17th and make some more!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #4621
Pearl-ExPert

Diane your display is so beautiful!

I'd my first fair of the year this weekend and my third time at the location. The sales were similar to last year and I just broke even. People said that it was slower than last year. Considering that I would say I did well but I've been brainstorming how to get the sales up next year.

What did well:
* Snowman popcorn - my first year doing them
* Reindeer hershey bars
* Thanksgiving banners
* mini composition books with pen

What didn't do well:
* post-it's hardly sold this year - they were the hottest items last 2 years. This was totally unexpected. I'm wondering if people are getting tired of seeing the same stuff.
* cocoa holders - sold 0!! Again just didn't expect that!
* gift-card holders - this fair is never too high on them so I wasn't expecting it.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #4622
Inking Addict

Default My very first craft fair!

My very first craft fair EVER was this past weekend. Yesterday was really slow, for all the vendors--there were 171 total booths, some vendors did purchase more than one booth space, but I only needed one (it was a 10x10 space). I didn't have any great sellers, but sold a fair share of the XL Hershey Candy bar snowmen, some lipbalm purses and backpacks, mini notebooks, and the chipboard albums. Here are some pics of my display(sorry for the neck strain!)
Attached Thumbnails
booth1.jpg   booth2.jpg   booth3.jpg   booth5.jpg   booth4.jpg  

booth6.jpg   meandsis.jpg  
Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #4623
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Congrats!

Hey I was going to ask that too! Great minds!

MY GALLERY
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #4624
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Thanks...these are frames that i have been making for a few years...seems like they always sell, I was just surprised this time, that they all sold to two people...
Here are some from my gallery
Peace
Family

Jingle didn't sell all of these....yet!
and here is a link to my FB page with the button frame and I don't have a photo of the rainbow butterfly or heart frame, but it was a shadowbox frame as well and i did a rainbow effect with butterflys and hearts across a blue background...don't have a photo, so I will have to remake those from memory!

Now I make all these with different papers, whatever i have lying around...and I pick up the shadowbox frames from Michaels and Joann's with a coupon or when they are on sale. The long family frames are from Walmart for $3 (or at least the last time i bought them thats what they were) Now i need to find more frames, before the 17th and make some more!

Those are great frames. I LOVE that button frame and the Peace one too (the link didn't work but I found it on the gallery anyway). I think I will do some next year for sales. I like to add something new each year. And this will be my new thing! (maybe)

MY GALLERY
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #4625
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristlin View Post
My very first craft fair EVER was this past weekend. Yesterday was really slow, for all the vendors--there were 171 total booths, some vendors did purchase more than one booth space, but I only needed one (it was a 10x10 space). I didn't have any great sellers, but sold a fair share of the XL Hershey Candy bar snowmen, some lipbalm purses and backpacks, mini notebooks, and the chipboard albums. Here are some pics of my display(sorry for the neck strain!)

Nice set up!

MY GALLERY
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #4626
Pearl-ExPert

My sale this lat weekend was awesome I LOVE that sale. The ladies from the womens ministry that put it on are so nice. They check to make sure you are ok, any problems, how sales are going, point out where the fudge table is (oh yeah, I asked - people were walking around with all sorts of goodies that I could not find!). I did almost $500 in sales, but I spent some money there too, Christmas presents.

My best sellers (at all the sales) were gift card holders and tags. I sell loads of them. I did sell a bunch of key fobs (was getting worried they wouldn't sell) but they will carry over nicely for next year too. Candy stuff sold. I did tins with nuggets (12 fit in the box) and sold all of them - made 12. Sold for $5.

Sold a lot of lip balm purses and smaller purses made with the SU petite purse die - those had hershey miniature candy in them - sold all of them which was good (cause I kept eating that candy!).

I had daylight savings time specials too which made people laugh. Pretty much anything they were looking at was the special but I really knocked prices down on my coasters because it was the last sale, I wanted them gone! I'm not doing them again - they are heavy to carry back and forth, take many sales to sell for me, and I didn't even bring all of the ones I made because I didn't like how they stamped out. So I'm done with them.

Magnets sold really well too. I let people mix and match and sold them for 3 for $2. They were the pebbles from dollar store and tiles from hardware store but they really cost very little to make. I had magnets all over the place because I had made so many but I did get rid of lots.

I'm pretty done now, I am doing one in December at a friend's house but not sure what I'm making for that. Nugget boxes for sure and gift card holders. Some other nonpaper stuff too.

MY GALLERY
Old 11-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #4627
Inking Addict

If you don't mind sharing, how much do you sell your gift card holders for? I think for the one I'm doing the first weekend in December I'm taking what I have and making some gift card holders and maybe a few more little things but I am not pulling any more all nighters trying to get a bunch of stuff made!
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
My sale this lat weekend was awesome I LOVE that sale. The ladies from the womens ministry that put it on are so nice. They check to make sure you are ok, any problems, how sales are going, point out where the fudge table is (oh yeah, I asked - people were walking around with all sorts of goodies that I could not find!). I did almost $500 in sales, but I spent some money there too, Christmas presents.

My best sellers (at all the sales) were gift card holders and tags. I sell loads of them. I did sell a bunch of key fobs (was getting worried they wouldn't sell) but they will carry over nicely for next year too. Candy stuff sold. I did tins with nuggets (12 fit in the box) and sold all of them - made 12. Sold for $5.

Sold a lot of lip balm purses and smaller purses made with the SU petite purse die - those had hershey miniature candy in them - sold all of them which was good (cause I kept eating that candy!).

I had daylight savings time specials too which made people laugh. Pretty much anything they were looking at was the special but I really knocked prices down on my coasters because it was the last sale, I wanted them gone! I'm not doing them again - they are heavy to carry back and forth, take many sales to sell for me, and I didn't even bring all of the ones I made because I didn't like how they stamped out. So I'm done with them.

Magnets sold really well too. I let people mix and match and sold them for 3 for $2. They were the pebbles from dollar store and tiles from hardware store but they really cost very little to make. I had magnets all over the place because I had made so many but I did get rid of lots.

I'm pretty done now, I am doing one in December at a friend's house but not sure what I'm making for that. Nugget boxes for sure and gift card holders. Some other nonpaper stuff too.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #4628
Compulsive Stamper

does anyone know if can you make the lip balm purses without a die? is there a template anywhere?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #4629
Kookie Creator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjen3 View Post
does anyone know if can you make the lip balm purses without a die? is there a template anywhere?
There are a few videos on You tube which have simple instructions to make various little purses, and they don't involve using dies.
Here's a link to one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxvzYgzRFFM
HTH!
Cheers,
Sharon
Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #4630
Pearl-ExPert

I sell my gift card holders for $1.50.

I use the lip balm purse by Stamp and scrap with Frenchie. I like it, it goes together easy. Its on her site, oct 2010.

There is a cute box tutorial on this site, triangle box I think they call it, that would be cute for lip balms too. I haven't checked it out so don't know how hard it would be but the boxes done are cute.

MY GALLERY
Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #4631

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post

So glad you did well Mary!
My first one was this Sat. It was very small and little traffic, but I made some money and had lots of fun doing it! We're getting ready for the big one first weekend in Dec.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #4632

Quote:
Very nice display!!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #4633
Glitter Guru

Quote:
What a nice inviting space....wish i could do shows with that much room!
Old 11-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #4634
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
So glad you did well Mary!
My first one was this Sat. It was very small and little traffic, but I made some money and had lots of fun doing it! We're getting ready for the big one first weekend in Dec.

I bet you will do better in December (I saw your posting on the other thread too). My sales are done in November, I am doing at a friend's house in December though. Next year I think I will look for a December one to do as well, people are more in the spirit of shopping then for the stuff I make. I wish they could all be like my last sale though - I would be rolling in the dough! And super tired!

Do you get comments 'did you make ALL of this stuff'. I get it all the time. But then when I look at the items I wonder how the heck I did it all! Crazy.

MY GALLERY
Old 11-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #4635
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepatch View Post
There are a few videos on You tube which have simple instructions to make various little purses, and they don't involve using dies.
Here's a link to one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxvzYgzRFFM
HTH!
Cheers,
Sharon
I just used this video to learn to make purses. They are super quick and easy. And they are very cute! check out my blog if you want to see the ones I just finished.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #4636
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker3 View Post
I just used this video to learn to make purses. They are super quick and easy. And they are very cute! check out my blog if you want to see the ones I just finished.

Nice purses. I use that pattern too.

MY GALLERY
Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #4637
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker3 View Post
Last year I sold these for $2.50 with lip gloss inside. This year I sold them for $2.50 with nothing inside. They sold just as well this year as last year. I sold them as gift card holders. I saved the money on the lip gloss this year! I think they are so cute, and yours are great. The snowman stamp is cute.
Judi
Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #4638
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
These are similar to something I wanted to make this year but havent had time yet. I do have a few small frames, so may try to get them done for December when I take part in an event at the local Arts centre. They sell my stuff and I give them 30%.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #4639
Insane Embellisher

I am seeing a few posts that people are done shows now. I find it interesting what happens locally in different areas. I had my shows 1 and #2 this past weekend out of 7 shows. This is just the start for me, with every weekend booked until Dec.2nd.

I did well. My husband ended up going to my 1-day show. He was a prince - set it up, sold all day, packed up and brought my money home. So lucky he is so supportive.
I worked the same day at day 1 of a 2-day sale.

I found crowds bigger but sales slower than last year. I still did really well overall though.
Big sellers were my coffee cup gift card holders, hot chocolate packs, M&M stix, and I also sold alot of my necklaces, which was nice.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #4640
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjudi View Post
Last year I sold these for $2.50 with lip gloss inside. This year I sold them for $2.50 with nothing inside. They sold just as well this year as last year. I sold them as gift card holders. I saved the money on the lip gloss this year! I think they are so cute, and yours are great. The snowman stamp is cute.
Judi
Exactly what I did....I just had a few examples with lipgloss, chocolate or gift cards in them, but sold them empty for that price too...worked great!