Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #4481
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
Candy bar frustrations!
Sorry to hear that you'd such a rough time! When I've one of such days, I just walk off from my crafting and read a book or watch TV till I've forgotten the pains
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #4482
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I find that once I get a rhythm, it goes faster. My fingers hurt though because I am using twine this year for the scarves instead of flannel. I also used a different happy face for the snowman. Anyhow, the pulling of the twine tight for the scarf has chafed my fingers.

Yeah, the tying of the hats with the twine can cut! But yes, once I get that crafting flow going, it all works out. I just had problems with the little bars, which are just so cute when they are done. I forgave them last night after I got their little hats and scarves on.

But I was covered with little yarn fleecy parts from some of the mittens I had (from the dollar store). They are very soft and fluffy which when you cut them apart make a fluffy mess! The fingers worked fine though, I just need to vacuum (again!) the mess I made.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #4483
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by smriti View Post
Sorry to hear that you'd such a rough time! When I've one of such days, I just walk off from my crafting and read a book or watch TV till I've forgotten the pains

I do that too, just get away from the mess. I just wanted to be done with them though. But now I am (for now at least!). I forgot I had rollow candy at home to do some up as snowmen too. But those roll on, not fold on, so I think I'll be good for that.

I had a hard time finding mittens though. I had a couple left over from last year (and pieces too) and I found some at the dollar store, but WalMart and Target didn't have cheap ones. And the dollar store didn't have really cute colorful ones (lots in kids sizes but not adults). I had a kid size at home but it didn't really fit around the little bar (and then I lost it, really I lost that pair of mittens - I have no idea where it went and its kind of freaking me out - it should be right at my craft table, or in the garbage (cause I cut it) but nope. hmmmmm I must be losing it more than I thought).

The dollar store had loads of ones where you can wear them fingerless too but I assume once you cut that, they would fall apart - the top comes down so its fingerless. I stayed away from them just cause I wasn't sure if they would stay together.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #4484
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to kspiv

Carole....wanted to say that I loved your sign! It's really cute! Havent checked in for a while...my boyfriend's father passed away, so it's been crazy around here.

I love everyone's creations! We are all so busy it would seem. I have been making cocoa treats lately. Pain in the you-know-what, but cute! Then I wrapped 20 lifesavers rolls with the snowman cover. I have also been repackaging and changing some of the things I made last year that didn't sell....figured sprucing them up a bit or reconfiguing things might help them sell this year. I hate to have a bunch of stuff laying around!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #4485
Cardstock Collector

I am doing my first craft bazaar in November. I have read this whole thread with great interest. I should have taken notes as I went along, but didn't. So now I have a couple of questions that I'm sure were probably already answered, but would appreciate not having to go back and find them!

The bazaar I'm participating in is very popular..they have over 1000 people come through in 2 days. I'm making the snowman popcorn and candy bars. How many should I think about making of each? Also what do you charge on these items?

Another question.... the binder clip placecard holders....do you use the large size clips? How do you package them (4 to a pkg?) and pricing?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #4486
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cropgal58 View Post
I am doing my first craft bazaar in November. I have read this whole thread with great interest. I should have taken notes as I went along, but didn't. So now I have a couple of questions that I'm sure were probably already answered, but would appreciate not having to go back and find them!

The bazaar I'm participating in is very popular..they have over 1000 people come through in 2 days. I'm making the snowman popcorn and candy bars. How many should I think about making of each? Also what do you charge on these items?

Another question.... the binder clip placecard holders....do you use the large size clips? How do you package them (4 to a pkg?) and pricing?

Thanks so much for your help!
I'm doing my first two shows this fall too I can help you with the candy bars. Many people said they were charging 4.00 so I'm following their lead. That will give me a profit and is worth it cause I'm sewing allll those little hats out of fleece! lol
Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #4487

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
Carole....wanted to say that I loved your sign! It's really cute! Havent checked in for a while...my boyfriend's father passed away, so it's been crazy around here.

I love everyone's creations! We are all so busy it would seem. I have been making cocoa treats lately. Pain in the you-know-what, but cute! Then I wrapped 20 lifesavers rolls with the snowman cover. I have also been repackaging and changing some of the things I made last year that didn't sell....figured sprucing them up a bit or reconfiguing things might help them sell this year. I hate to have a bunch of stuff laying around!
Thanks Kelly!
So sorry to hear about your bf's dad. {{big hugs}}

The lifesavers will do well, I''m sure Have you seen the candy sleighs? ellyn's place: candy sleighs
When my son was little I made trains out of lifesavers and planes from a roll of smarties, a stick of gum, life savers and a rubber band.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #4488

Quote:
I used the 65# coredinations CS from Joann (it was 2/$5 for 50 sheets) and it worked pretty good. Also it has a nice smooth finish.
Okay Y'all, my Upline is a genious She's making the Rudolph and Angry bird candy bar wrappers out of cardstock. She scored the two sides and had no problems with it sticking. Why didn't I think of that

I WILL do that for this next box! She scored twice on the right side and twice on the left side... maybe a quart inch apart. It looks really nice and crisp too.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #4489
Glitter Queen

Diane, what is the poem that is attached to your snowman popcorn? Is there a tutorial for those? I've made the Hershey snowman but not the popcorn. Thanks, Pam
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #4490
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Zimmerman View Post
Diane, what is the poem that is attached to your snowman popcorn? Is there a tutorial for those? I've made the Hershey snowman but not the popcorn. Thanks, Pam
It is just a note to tell people it is popcorn inside and to unwrap the snowman before placing in the microwave.

If you have done the Hershey, then you can easily do the popcorn. Your image just needs to be resized. I put the image into a Word doc and enlarged it until it was just right.

Today, I finished all my bars and popcorn for this year. I will post pics soon on my Facebook page of the new snowman design I made this year. Just a new digital face.

I also made 64 of the 4x4 coaster calendars. They are time consuming but look so pretty when done.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #4491
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
I also made 64 of the 4x4 coaster calendars. They are time consuming but look so pretty when done.
Diane, do you have photos of your coaster calendars? Would love to see!!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #4492
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket7 View Post
Diane, do you have photos of your coaster calendars? Would love to see!!
I am in the process of uploading some new pics and albums to my Facebook page. If Facebook cooperates, they should be there.

I have uploaded some gift card holders I made also which are shaped like a coffee cup. These were kind of fun to make also.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #4493
Cardstock Collector

Diane, did you buy your calendar pages or did you print them off your computer? They look very nice.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #4494
Kookie Creator

On my blog today I have pictures of the 'melted snowmen' 1x8 cello bag toppers that I talked about earlier. They started out with arms but after the first one I was like "No way am I doing 300 with arms too!" lol

My sometimes neglected blog
Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #4495
Mad Swapper

My upline (Heidi King) and her upline (Maureen Rauchfuss) and I shared a booth at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena this past weekend. Unfortunately, we didn't sell much, it probably didn't help that it was 92 degrees out. We did learn a few things and had a good day because we like each other.
Attached Thumbnails
img_8290.jpg   img_8292.jpg   img_8293.jpg  
Old 10-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #4496

Quote:
I am in the process of uploading some new pics and albums to my Facebook page. If Facebook cooperates, they should be there.

I have uploaded some gift card holders I made also which are shaped like a coffee cup. These were kind of fun to make also.
I love those coffee cups!!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #4497

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeteens View Post
On my blog today I have pictures of the 'melted snowmen' 1x8 cello bag toppers that I talked about earlier. They started out with arms but after the first one I was like "No way am I doing 300 with arms too!" lol
I think they look more melted without the arms
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #4498

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAmomof2 View Post
My upline (Heidi King) and her upline (Maureen Rauchfuss) and I shared a booth at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena this past weekend. Unfortunately, we didn't sell much, it probably didn't help that it was 92 degrees out. We did learn a few things and had a good day because we like each other.
Everything looks so nice! Sorry you didn't sell much

I'm doing craft shows with my Upline too! I've been teasing her cause I recently signed my first recruit. I told her she's now a Grand Upline, she now has a Grand Downline lol
Old 10-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #4499
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaLouC View Post
Diane, did you buy your calendar pages or did you print them off your computer? They look very nice.
I printed them from the computer and cut them. It was a download from Chicknscratch for $3. She had a video with cutting directions. They were a bit tedious but I made them up while watching movies on the weekend.
I also changed the sizing a bit to make them fit better in my design.

I made 65 of them. So happy they are done.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #4500
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeteens View Post
Hi Sandra -
Did I miss the one with arms?? I don't see it.

They look sooo cute! How much do you plan to sell them for?

When I make my toppers for 1x8 bags, I get frustrated because they never sit perfectly on top llike yours do. Do you attach another piece of mat backing to the snowman to hold them in place?
I usually end up tying them on as a tag instead.
I sell mine for $1.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #4501
Hardware Hotshot

Aww! The melted snowmen are too cute! Nice job!
I just did a tag on my 1x8 sticks, but I thought they looked cute. I used a digi stamp for them with Santa and his reindeer and used the two SU tag punches and layered them. Then I finished it off with curly ribbon.

I just have one two day show, it's coming up on November 17th. This will be my first time at this show and I'm hoping to do OK. I have made 15 sets of tile coasters (those sold out at the last show I did), a whole bunch of covered notebooks (27 I think), some wine glass charm sets, sets of three magnets, journals... All sorts of stuff. Unfortunately I still have a giant list of things I want to make, but I had a major fall yesterday and I'm waiting to see if I have broken a bone in my hand. (Small town... xray tomorrow morning). I'm really, really hoping it's just a bad bruise or small sprain, but as of now I can't hold anything with my right hand, and wouldn't you know I'm right handed. Ugh...
Old 10-17-2012, 03:51 AM   #4502
Kookie Creator

Thanks for the compliments on the snowmen! I didn't take a picture of the one with the arms. He was the prototype. The ones on my blog were the last 100 I made.

I charge $1.00 for them too.

To get them to sit nice, I staple a round circle of scrap paper to the top first, then glue on the Snowman with Tombow multi glue. Works like a charm!

My sometimes neglected blog
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #4503
Pearl-ExPert

The snowmen are very cute.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #4504
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to kspiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
Okay Y'all, my Upline is a genious She's making the Rudolph and Angry bird candy bar wrappers out of cardstock. She scored the two sides and had no problems with it sticking. Why didn't I think of that

I WILL do that for this next box! She scored twice on the right side and twice on the left side... maybe a quart inch apart. It looks really nice and crisp too.
Carole...this is what I do too. I also glue and crimp mine at the end and then the candy bar just slides right down in there and it doesnt fall out. I use the Tombow mono multi glue and all it needs after scoring the cardstock is a thin strip on the side you will be closing on the outside and a small bead across the bottom. I do have a crimper and it looks cute with it crimped at the bottom, but you could also just glue it without a crimp or not even worry about that. But honestly, it is so much easier to use cardstock and then score it. And yes, I score mine 1/4 inch apart on both the left and right sides. You are left with a perfect little pocket for your candy bar. I also use a dab of hot glue on the back and attach my hat. Then the hat stays on and all they have to do is tilt the hat back and slide the candy bar out. A lot of people were buying them as a little gift for elderly people they took care of who they knew loved chocolate, so I wanted to make them as easy for them to get out as possible.

I am charging $3 or 4/$10 for each snowman item I am making. I am doing hershey bars, microwave popcorn and life savers. they can mix and match. I like doing "for" deals because it gets people to buy more and they love saving a buck or two if they were going to buy several anyway.

PS...on the making the fleece hats (and I'm sure everyone has thought of this already!) but I cut a large strip of fleece and fold over and sew along the edge, then I cut each one down to about 4" and then make the hat from there. That way you are sewing a whole lot less than if you did each one individually. they held up just fine last year doing them this way.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #4505
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to NancyL2648

Set up for this weekends craft show is finished! Now I just need to make up my price signs.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #4506

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
Carole...this is what I do too. I also glue and crimp mine at the end and then the candy bar just slides right down in there and it doesnt fall out. I use the Tombow mono multi glue and all it needs after scoring the cardstock is a thin strip on the side you will be closing on the outside and a small bead across the bottom. I do have a crimper and it looks cute with it crimped at the bottom, but you could also just glue it without a crimp or not even worry about that. But honestly, it is so much easier to use cardstock and then score it. And yes, I score mine 1/4 inch apart on both the left and right sides. You are left with a perfect little pocket for your candy bar. I also use a dab of hot glue on the back and attach my hat. Then the hat stays on and all they have to do is tilt the hat back and slide the candy bar out. A lot of people were buying them as a little gift for elderly people they took care of who they knew loved chocolate, so I wanted to make them as easy for them to get out as possible.

I am charging $3 or 4/$10 for each snowman item I am making. I am doing hershey bars, microwave popcorn and life savers. they can mix and match. I like doing "for" deals because it gets people to buy more and they love saving a buck or two if they were going to buy several anyway.

PS...on the making the fleece hats (and I'm sure everyone has thought of this already!) but I cut a large strip of fleece and fold over and sew along the edge, then I cut each one down to about 4" and then make the hat from there. That way you are sewing a whole lot less than if you did each one individually. they held up just fine last year doing them this way.
thanks for tips Kelly!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #4507
Pearl-ExPert

So how did everyone's craft shows go this weekend?? I had my first one yesterday, at a church that did bingo along side the show. I did ok, arond $150 and i figured i would do less than that so that was good. I did the show two years ago and made less than $100. I only did this one because I could not find another one to do. Very small, around 10 or 12 vendors, and three didn't even show up. Not sure what my best seller was, probably the snowmen candy bars and i did little and big Frankenstein ones too that pretty much all sold out. Gift card holders too were a big seller and my tags.

Hopefully next weekend's will be better (money wise!!)

MY GALLERY
Old 10-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #4508
Glitter Queen

Good job Mary. Your stuff looks great. Can I ask how much do you sell your key fobs for? Thanks, Pam
Old 10-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #4509
Inking Addict

Default First Craft Fair results

Yesterday was the first for the season. This was a halloween/fall craft fair for our town. It was in a church and it was small. The craft sale was part of their pumpkin patch. Maybe 15 vendors. Not a lot of customers. It will be repeated next weekend (included in original fee). Hopefully more customers and more sales. Since I didn't have enough time, I didn't have a large inventory.

Frankenstein and Dracula Monster Pixie (Lg) Wands $2: Made 24 sold 13
Halloween Wooden Boxes $5: Made 10 sold 1
Pumpkin Poo: (Cheese Puffs (balls) $1: Made 15 sold 5
Witches Shoe $3.50: Made 15 sold 5
Test Tubes $2.50: Made 9 sold 3
Friend's Crocheted Hats $10: sold 2

For a total of $81.00. I was slightly disappointed, but with the low turn-out couldn't be helped. Better luck next time, I hope.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #4510
Inking Addict

Default Coaster Calendars

I ordered some mini calendars, medium size, thinking they were the same size as last year's order. Turns out they are small. I should have ordered the large size. I don't want to reorder. So any ideas what I could do with the small ones? It will look too small on a 4x4 coaster.

Thanks, Maria
Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #4511
Insane Embellisher

My craft show was good. Less people but still sold what I usually do at this one..just over $200 after paying table fee.

This is the only 1 day show I do, and I participate mainly because it is a dress rehearsal for my bigger shows. I can play with my display and see what I forgot to bring, etc. It works well for that. Now I know what I need to look for/bring to my next 2 day show.
(pricing signs, display bins I forgot).
Old 10-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #4512
FiP
Rubber Obsessor

stampinrealtor - could you add them to an acrylic photo frame, with post-it notes, and a quote or decorations to fill in the space? Or, make a mini corkboard or magnet board and use them?
Old 10-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #4513
Glitter Queen

Great job Diane.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #4514
Inking Addict

Default Mini calendars

What a great idea! I have lots of mini post its! I like the magnet board idea! Thanks, Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiP View Post
stampinrealtor - could you add them to an acrylic photo frame, with post-it notes, and a quote or decorations to fill in the space? Or, make a mini corkboard or magnet board and use them?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #4515
Pearl-ExPert

Mary, Stampinrealtor and Diane - thanks for sharing about your shows!
Old 10-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #4516
Insane Embellisher

I have sooo much still to do for the shows. On the agenda tonight. 6 bags of M&Ms. Well, I am sure I won't get through all 6 but I will start.

What is everyone else up to?
Working on items for craft shows? Please share!
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #4517
Pearl-ExPert

I found fun rollo candy Santas on Stampin Connection. Snippets and Pretties blog. I did some tonight and its in my gallery.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #4518
Inking Addict

My very first craft show ever is in 2 weeks. I spent this weekend setting up my display and making the large snowmen with hershey bars. After the day job today I've spent all night making SU! purses/backpacks to put lip balms in them. I have them sticky stripped, tomorrow will be stamping my Jolly Bingo Bits and punching the scallop for them, I figure if I stay up til midnight everynight for the next two weeks I might have all my stuff done! The worst part....my very large well padded butt hurts from sitting all day and night!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #4519
Pearl-ExPert

I'm almost done with my stuff - reindeer food and a banner is what remains. I think I'll do them next week since I'm busy with a bloghop this week.

Bristlin, are you in WA state?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #4520
Inking Addict

Quote:
I'm almost done with my stuff - reindeer food and a banner is what remains. I think I'll do them next week since I'm busy with a bloghop this week.

Bristlin, are you in WA state?
Yes, but the other side of the State--I'm in Deer Park which is north of Spokane.