Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree461Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #4441
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
I uploaded some of my craft sale stuff finally, if anyone is interested.
Good job Mary. They look great!
Do you put your gift cards in clear sleeves to protect them. I usually do, and keep one out as a sample.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #4442
Pearl-ExPert

I haven't done that with them. I usually have one open so they can see inside, I will with the top die note ones tho, since they don't stay closed.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #4443
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via AIM to NancyL2648

Love the items you posted...especially the angry bird mini book!
I've made some angry bird choc. bar and note cards.

Quote:
I uploaded some of my craft sale stuff finally, if anyone is interested.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #4444
Creative Crew SU Design Team

one of my craft show partners just brought up a scarey topic.... business license, tax ID number craft vendor license!

Do we have to buy all of those????
Old 10-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #4445
Embossing Fanatic

You do have to have them. Here in NYS they are really cracking down. I couple times this year friends have said the tax people have come around asking to see Tax IDs. Its a huge fine if you don't have them.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #4446

Quote:
Originally Posted by dderbini View Post
You do have to have them. Here in NYS they are really cracking down. I couple times this year friends have said the tax people have come around asking to see Tax IDs. Its a huge fine if you don't have them.
okay the tax id i get, but a vendor license and a business license??? We're going to call the recreation center who sponsors the show and find out what all we need.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #4447
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
okay the tax id i get, but a vendor license and a business license??? We're going to call the recreation center who sponsors the show and find out what all we need.
In our city when we apply for business license we get the tax number.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #4448
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Carole-
Check with your city/county government (check on line) and find out what they require. In some states you do not need a tax ID (just your ss #) and maybe only a vendor's license. It may depend on how much money you will be making that requires the business license (and of course the state is going to want a piece of the action -the dreaded sales tax!)
Good Luck!

Sharon

PS. Go directly to the government website NOT a third party where they charge you up the ying yang for something you can do on your own.

Last edited by tat2girl; 10-07-2012 at 01:54 PM..
Old 10-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #4449
Insane Embellisher

I bought all of my chocolate bars and popcorn for the craft fairs this year.
4 boxes of 24 popcorn and 9 boxes of 36 chocolate bars. In past years, I have bought some, made then, then bought more when needed. This year, I bought them all at once (based on numbers from last year) and thought I would spend the Thanksgiving weekend making them. I thought it would be quicker. Now I am realizing how much time actually goes into these ones. Easy work but time consuming.

Yesterday and today, I managed to completed all 96 popcorn and 5 boxes of chocolate bars. My back is killing me from sitting in the same position for so long. And funny - so is my glue gun trigger finger. LOL
I think I will take a break from these items tomorrow, and finish them up another day.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #4450

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I bought all of my chocolate bars and popcorn for the craft fairs this year.
4 boxes of 24 popcorn and 9 boxes of 36 chocolate bars. In past years, I have bought some, made then, then bought more when needed. This year, I bought them all at once (based on numbers from last year) and thought I would spend the Thanksgiving weekend making them. I thought it would be quicker. Now I am realizing how much time actually goes into these ones. Easy work but time consuming.

Yesterday and today, I managed to completed all 96 popcorn and 5 boxes of chocolate bars. My back is killing me from sitting in the same position for so long. And funny - so is my glue gun trigger finger. LOL
I think I will take a break from these items tomorrow, and finish them up another day.
Holy Smokes! You did 5 BOXES of candy bars! wow!!! I only did one box, wonder if I should do more?
Old 10-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #4451
Pearl-ExPert

It amazes me the numbers some do compared to what I do. I will probably need to do more for the final sale, (of most things I make) but no how could I sell five boxes of candy at my sales. But I'm only doing three shows too.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #4452
Pearl-ExPert

Diane, what do you use the hot glue for in the snowman popcorn?

I bought one popcorn box (40 bags) and have done only 20 since this is the first time I'm selling them and not sure how popular they would be here.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #4453
Pearl-ExPert

I don't know about Diane. But I'm going to use the hot glue (mine is a cooler gun) to actually seal the wrap - my little bars (not the big ones, only the little) all came apart. I used the ATG gun, which worked great on the big bars. I then put the sticky tape (red line like) and the little ones stayed put, although some still were popping up. Someone here (probably Diane) said use the glue gun and I'm going to from now on. I will use that to glue the 'hats' on too. Cheaper than most adhesives and it will stay put! Nothing worse than regluing something you already glued.

I think she used the hot glue gun (or someone did) on the paperclip bookmarks too. I'm going to try that when I get around to mine.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #4454
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I don't know about Diane. But I'm going to use the hot glue (mine is a cooler gun) to actually seal the wrap - my little bars (not the big ones, only the little) all came apart. I used the ATG gun, which worked great on the big bars. I then put the sticky tape (red line like) and the little ones stayed put, although some still were popping up. Someone here (probably Diane) said use the glue gun and I'm going to from now on. I will use that to glue the 'hats' on too. Cheaper than most adhesives and it will stay put! Nothing worse than regluing something you already glued.

I think she used the hot glue gun (or someone did) on the paperclip bookmarks too. I'm going to try that when I get around to mine.
Yes, glue gun is for sealing all the wrappers and also for adhering the hats. It is the best and cheapest. Before that, I used tacky glue before it occurred to me to try hot glue. It holds very well.

I have probably mentioned before I am a bit of a perfectionist. I hate it when the bars slide up and down OR when customers pull the bar out using the little end piece from the Hershey wrapper. So...I also dab a teeny bit of glue to the bottom tab of each bar and tuck it up inside before wrapping and gluing. It keeps the bar snug inside until it is opened for eating.

Someone was askin about paper for the wrappers. I always use cardstock because I find it helps the bar to be more resistant to breaking inside the wrapper.

I finished the other 4 boxes today. All 9 boxes are wrapped and have hats. I still have to tie all the hats though.
I sell so many because I do shows in different communities. This year, I have 8 shows in total, with only one of those being a two day show. So, I did add a couple extra boxes this year. For just one or two shows, I would probbaly just do 2 boxes. When I run out, I run out. I have lots of other items for people to choose from. Honestly, they are mostly a way to draw people to the table, as they can be very time consuming for the profit margin.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #4455

Can you help me price the junior legal pad holders?

If we sell cards for 4.00, a legal pad holder should sell for more, because you have to buy the pads right? So I was thinking of 6.00 to 7.50 for this style: Magnolia's Place: Search results for Junior Legal Pad Cover and Post-it Note Holder Revisited

For the CD holders, there's not as much work involved, BUT you have to spend 1.30 for the CD case and then the price of the pad. So.... I don't know what to charge for this style. More than the cardstock style? Less? The same?
Magnolia's Place: Notepad Holders

What do y'all think??
Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #4456
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I will use that to glue the 'hats' on too. Cheaper than most adhesives and it will stay put! Nothing worse than regluing something you already glued.
I asked because I was curious about this - whether people glue the hats or not; I was wondering what if people want to take off the hat and see the popcorn. I wasn't sure so I just put one glue dot to make sure that it stayed in place but wasn't too fixed. Maybe I'll also glue them so that I don't have to worry about the hats moving around.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #4457
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Yes, glue gun is for sealing all the wrappers and also for adhering the hats. It is the best and cheapest.
Got it!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #4458
Pearl-ExPert

yeah you gotta glue the hat down (and I too glue the candy bar on to the wrapper a bit) otherwise the hats will fall off and then you have to KEEP PUTTING THEM ON DURING THE SALE. Which apparently can be quite frustrating for some!!!

Last year, when I did the snowmen, I apparently glued things down so well that you had a very hard time opening them up to eat the candy. I think I used the red line tape but they were very sealed! Oh well.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #4459
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Can you help me price the junior legal pad holders?

If we sell cards for 4.00, a legal pad holder should sell for more, because you have to buy the pads right? So I was thinking of 6.00 to 7.50 for this style: Magnolia's Place: Search results for Junior Legal Pad Cover and Post-it Note Holder Revisited

For the CD holders, there's not as much work involved, BUT you have to spend 1.30 for the CD case and then the price of the pad. So.... I don't know what to charge for this style. More than the cardstock style? Less? The same?
Magnolia's Place: Notepad Holders

What do y'all think??

I can't help you on the pricing of these, but wanted to say that they are very nice. I have not tried those CD notebooks but I just love them.

I bought some metal cases a few year back that came with notepads (cut down a bit) to fit inside. Made them for my sisters, and the rest just sit there, waiting for a home.

I think I will make them this year, for a sale at a friend's house. But those are hard to price as well. I think the case was a couple of bucks with the pad but I can't remember. So I was going to charge around $10 for them, all done up super pretty like.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #4460
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

What do y'all think??
I made these last year - you can see them here reindeer hershey bars and jr legal pad planners by smriti - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers (second from right) - and didn't sell a single one even though they were priced at $4 or 2/$7; but then at that particular fair, things have to be ultra cheap to sell.

Your market maybe different and yours are more fancy than fine. Mine were very simple.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #4461
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Last year, when I did the snowmen, I apparently glued things down so well that you had a very hard time opening them up to eat the candy.
That was my conundrum too I sealed the bottom of the wrapper so that the popcorn doesn't fall off. I guess I need to glue the hats!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #4462

Quote:
yeah you gotta glue the hat down (and I too glue the candy bar on to the wrapper a bit) otherwise the hats will fall off and then you have to KEEP PUTTING THEM ON DURING THE SALE. Which apparently can be quite frustrating for some!!!

Last year, when I did the snowmen, I apparently glued things down so well that you had a very hard time opening them up to eat the candy. I think I used the red line tape but they were very sealed! Oh well.

I didn't glue my hats on, they fit down on the candy bar and I put them in clear bags sealed. Do you spose I should glue the hats on the next batch ? I put them in clear bags because the cs is white and I was afraid people handling it would get them dirty.

Do y'all put yours in clear bags?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #4463
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I didn't glue my hats on, they fit down on the candy bar and I put them in clear bags sealed. Do you spose I should glue the hats on the next batch ? I put them in clear bags because the cs is white and I was afraid people handling it would get them dirty.

I don't put them in bags, but I don't put them all out at once either. I also don't place them close to the front edge of the table where smaller children can reach them. I haven't had a problem with them getting dirty.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #4464
Insane Embellisher

I found these today - with some good ideas:
Paper - Tutos
Qbee's Quest: Inch Box Advent Calendar Tutorial

Both were kinda slow loading for me today though, so the images are probably high res. I have bookmarked them for future shows.

Now, off to work on some of my craft fair goodies. Feels like crunch time will soon be upon me.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #4465

Quote:
I found these today - with some good ideas:
Paper - Tutos
Qbee's Quest: Inch Box Advent Calendar Tutorial

Both were kinda slow loading for me today though, so the images are probably high res. I have bookmarked them for future shows.

Now, off to work on some of my craft fair goodies. Feels like crunch time will soon be upon me.
So my jaw is finally off the keyboard now. Wow Diane!! Awesome projects, thanks so much for sharing!!!

I just finished post it note holders with mini pens attached. I made 48 of them! whew
Y'all have convinced me that snowmen candy bar wrappers will sell well, so I bought fleece and Hershey bars today.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #4466
Polyshrink Goddess

JCI....so far behind.....
Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #4467
Matboard Maniac

Default Hershey bar snowmen

Last year was my first attempt at the snowmen. I read about them so much that I finally convinced myself to try them at the only sale I did. They turned out cute and I sold them for $2.50 each. I sold about 30 of the 48 that I had done. I used regular copy paper because I had trouble getting the card stock to wrap neatly. I used sticky strip (red line tape) to hold the paper in place and I did not glue my little hats at all. I tied the scarves. I did use a bit of sticky strip on the bottom and crimped the end to keep the bar from slipping out. I did not have any problem with keeping the hats on or with smudging, etc. I had them in a double row in a plastic box that kept them tidy and I added more as they sold. I, too, put them near the center of the table out of the reach of smaller hands. I am doing them again this year and will likely make them the same way as last year, but I plan to make more this time since I will be doing another sale. I worked on hats tonight and have them all stitched, but it takes me forever to get them fringed, tied, and cuffed! Last year I used wire to wrap the fringe. This year I am using those tiny rubber bands that are almost clear and they are much cheaper and faster than the wire. Good luck everyone!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #4468

Yeah, the card stock is kinda hard to work with... why didn't I use copy paper??? Does the Hershey label show through?

Last edited by sc magnolia; 10-09-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #4469

I won't put these snowmen in bags either, that will save on costs.

36 MORE snowmen plus the 32 I have made (DH ate 4 of them!)

Hope I sell all of them

Last edited by sc magnolia; 10-09-2012 at 10:02 PM..
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #4470
Matboard Maniac

No, the label doesn't show through if you use heavier weight paper. If yours does, turn the bar over to the ingredient side. I think there is white on that side. I don't have a bar to check that right now. I am very picky about the look of my stuff and I even made some for a gift exchange with fellow demos and they loved them, too. At least try the copy paper.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #4471
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I won't put these snowmen in bags either, that will save on costs.

36 MORE snowmen plus the 32 I have made (DH ate 4 of them!)

Hope I sell all of them
Wow!! That's a lot of work Carole! Great job!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #4472
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Yeah, the card stock is kinda hard to work with... why didn't I use copy paper??? Does the Hershey label show through?
I used the 65# coredinations CS from Joann (it was 2/$5 for 50 sheets) and it worked pretty good. Also it has a nice smooth finish.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #4473
Pearl-ExPert

Candy bar frustrations!

I used my glue gun last night to do up the rest of the snowmen. My little bars that I made into little Frankensteins (which are very cute) all popped open, even with using my ATG gun and/or redline (well white line) tape.

So took an idea from here and grabbed the glue gun. I have two, one is cooler so I used that (cause of chocolate and all).

ONE STICK of glue for that gun and the others don't fit.

So went back to the hot gun, which is super old and it leaks and, um, its HOT.

the big bars went together great. No problem. And no problem keeping them together with the ATG and/or sticky tape but I did use the glue gun on them since it was out and hot.

But those little ones - they are rascals! I used cardstock from WalMart (Georgia Pacific brand I believe). Not as thick as most so it works nicely for things. But folding it around the little bars was very frustrating. I didn't use just copy paper because I figured it would show through. But maybe next time I will look at that.

either I didn't get the face where it needed to be or it wouldn't bend around the bar right.

I don't remember this from last year when I made them. Must be just me this year.

I did get them all glued together and hats on the big ones. I need to find mittens for the little ones and I will do that tonight and get them done!

It was a frustrating crafting night because of them - and that better not continue. Way too much to do to have that happen.

I made a list of things I still need to do and its way long. Not sure why this happened becasue I was on top of things, crafting away. But I did a bunch of teacher stuff and I think in my head I was thinking I was way ahead of the game. Well I am if everyone just wants teacher gifts! I now have to make all that stuff over again but not teacher themed.

One of these years I will learn!

MY GALLERY
Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #4474

Quote:
Candy bar frustrations!

I used my glue gun last night to do up the rest of the snowmen. My little bars that I made into little Frankensteins (which are very cute) all popped open, even with using my ATG gun and/or redline (well white line) tape.

So took an idea from here and grabbed the glue gun. I have two, one is cooler so I used that (cause of chocolate and all).

ONE STICK of glue for that gun and the others don't fit.

So went back to the hot gun, which is super old and it leaks and, um, its HOT.

the big bars went together great. No problem. And no problem keeping them together with the ATG and/or sticky tape but I did use the glue gun on them since it was out and hot.

But those little ones - they are rascals! I used cardstock from WalMart (Georgia Pacific brand I believe). Not as thick as most so it works nicely for things. But folding it around the little bars was very frustrating. I didn't use just copy paper because I figured it would show through. But maybe next time I will look at that.

either I didn't get the face where it needed to be or it wouldn't bend around the bar right.

I don't remember this from last year when I made them. Must be just me this year.

I did get them all glued together and hats on the big ones. I need to find mittens for the little ones and I will do that tonight and get them done!

It was a frustrating crafting night because of them - and that better not continue. Way too much to do to have that happen.

I made a list of things I still need to do and its way long. Not sure why this happened becasue I was on top of things, crafting away. But I did a bunch of teacher stuff and I think in my head I was thinking I was way ahead of the game. Well I am if everyone just wants teacher gifts! I now have to make all that stuff over again but not teacher themed.

One of these years I will learn!
I've had a day like that too Mary! I was working on the backboard display and NOTHING went right. I used nearly a whole can of black spray paint on a science fair board and it looks like a three year old did it. It's all splotchy black and gray. I was trying to save a few dollars by not having to buy another board.
Then I was working on a peacock for this bird theme. In my head the peacock had rows of feathers, each one a color of SU card stock. I found a cute punch art peacock and went to work. Well the 'feathers' wouldn't all fit on the bird like they did in my head, so I decided to make 6 birds - one for each color family. After I got allll the pieces punched out I looked at it and I just don't like it. I've wasted a half a day on all this. I gave up, ate lunch and took a short nap. Now it's time to go to the grocery store and the UPS truck will probably come while I'm gone. He's bringing the punch I need to finish my USC Gamecock post it note packaging.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #4475
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Candy bar frustrations!

I don't use the Walmart cardstock on the bars because it is just too thick. I use the Michaels cardstock packs for those ones - which worked great. Otherwise, I found the choc bar was breaking when I tried to squeeze the paper aroound it.

I don't have 2 glue guns. I use the hot one for everything. It cools quickly, before the choc melts.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #4476
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I put a dab of glue on the big bars, my hats weren't strtchy or very tight. The little ones made with glove fingers really didn't need it tho.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #4477
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I don't use the Walmart cardstock on the bars because it is just too thick. I use the Michaels cardstock packs for those ones - which worked great. Otherwise, I found the choc bar was breaking when I tried to squeeze the paper aroound it.

I don't have 2 glue guns. I use the hot one for everything. It cools quickly, before the choc melts.
I used WM paper cause thats what I had, but I will pick up Mike's stuff if I make more. I also have some heavier copy paper that I bought by mistake so I will check that out too.

The hot glue worked just fine, but mine is old and leaks so it makes a mess and I don't like to use it much. But its actually working better than I remember.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #4478
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I've had a day like that too Mary! I was working on the backboard display and NOTHING went right. I used nearly a whole can of black spray paint on a science fair board and it looks like a three year old did it. It's all splotchy black and gray. I was trying to save a few dollars by not having to buy another board.
Then I was working on a peacock for this bird theme. In my head the peacock had rows of feathers, each one a color of SU card stock. I found a cute punch art peacock and went to work. Well the 'feathers' wouldn't all fit on the bird like they did in my head, so I decided to make 6 birds - one for each color family. After I got allll the pieces punched out I looked at it and I just don't like it. I've wasted a half a day on all this. I gave up, ate lunch and took a short nap. Now it's time to go to the grocery store and the UPS truck will probably come while I'm gone. He's bringing the punch I need to finish my USC Gamecock post it note packaging.

And they say crafting is relaxing!!! But naps cure everything for me.

Tonight I finished the bars and it went much better.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #4479
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I find that once I get a rhythm, it goes faster. My fingers hurt though because I am using twine this year for the scarves instead of flannel. I also used a different happy face for the snowman. Anyhow, the pulling of the twine tight for the scarf has chafed my fingers.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #4480

Quote:

Good for you! I refused to give up too. I took my coupon to HL and got a black backboard for 2.32. Then after dinner, I took that peacock apart and redid the feathers. Now I can use that one as a pattern for making the others. I'm also looking at different colors for the bird.