Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree296Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #4281
Stazon Splitcoast

Gina, thanks for the link to the bag spot. We'll be visiting PA later this month and I think we'll be adding this to our stops.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #4282
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylou1220 View Post
Gina, thanks for the link to the bag spot. We'll be visiting PA later this month and I think we'll be adding this to our stops.
Glad to be of help!! It seemed like they had more in the store to choose from then online. If you want to know the size/item #'s that I got for items, let me know and I will send them to you. They are also nicer then the bags I have gotten at the big bx stores. They seem a little thicker.

Have fun!

PS if you are in that area, and you need a good place to eat...try Shady Maple Smorgasboard! MMMMMMM good!!!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #4283
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
I've been reading this thread and blogs that have craft fair info. Sooo many great ideas on here

I'm really looking at packaging now. Do you put everything in clear bags? For instance:
treat/candy holders
post it note holders
card sets
how about individual cards & envelopes? do you put them in a clear envy???

Thanks for your help!!
I dont really put the treat holders in baggies. But for all the rest, yes I do! For sets of cards/envies I found bags at a local store that sould candymaking bags. I did not check the B&G paper products for bags for sets yet. I may end up making boxes to put cards in instead.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #4284
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry about your kitty, Gina. It's always hard to lose a pet, for everyone but especially the kids.

Our cat had a hard summer, it was so hot here and my house was HOT (no air!). She barely moved during the day. But now that its cooling off, she is once again into everything.

Target had bigger brown paper lunch bags on their shelves this weekend so i bought some of those, along with regular sized lunch bags. I just use those to bag things up for customers. I may stamp on them if I have time. If they had had white I would have gotten white, but they only had brown. I have tons to do, and I'm doing four sales, so embelishing the bag is way down on the list.

Plus my daughter called to tell me she is getting married 'some time', probably in January. So I have that to help with as well. And baby number two is coming in March.

Not sure when I will sleep, maybe at work! My head is spinning with wedding ideas, craft sale stuff, blah!

I have lots done but need WAY more to do for the sales.

MY GALLERY
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #4285
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
Sorry about your kitty, Gina. It's always hard to lose a pet, for everyone but especially the kids.

Our cat had a hard summer, it was so hot here and my house was HOT (no air!). She barely moved during the day. But now that its cooling off, she is once again into everything.

Target had bigger brown paper lunch bags on their shelves this weekend so i bought some of those, along with regular sized lunch bags. I just use those to bag things up for customers. I may stamp on them if I have time. If they had had white I would have gotten white, but they only had brown. I have tons to do, and I'm doing four sales, so embelishing the bag is way down on the list.

Plus my daughter called to tell me she is getting married 'some time', probably in January. So I have that to help with as well. And baby number two is coming in March.

Not sure when I will sleep, maybe at work! My head is spinning with wedding ideas, craft sale stuff, blah!

I have lots done but need WAY more to do for the sales.
Thanks for that. It happened so fast, there wasn't much we could do for her.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #4286
Insane Embellisher

I am doing 7 craft shows this year starting in mid October. I am busy making goodies, and am almost done all my non-food items...thank goodness.
The best part is that I have paid the fees for the shows already out of previous profits. It has taken me 3 years but I finally have things organized so I am able to prepay. I still have to deduct the costs for making the items, but it is looking good so far.

Tonight, I altered some mini kleenex packages with xmas designs. I will take pics soon and get them up on my facebook page.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #4287
Pearl-ExPert

I'm doing 4 and stressing over that, can't imagine doing 7. I did some kleenex holders too, but I couldn't find a pattern I could use, I just made a box. If you have a pattern to share I'd like to look at it. I'll be posting some pictures this week as well. Finished up my mini comp books today. What next???hmmmmmm

MY GALLERY
Old 09-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #4288
Polyshrink Goddess

So far I have scheduled 1 in September, three the first 3 weeks in November, 2 of which are 2 day events. I am trying to get another for October, and I have my name in for one the first weekend in December. Then one other, they are trying to decide what date they are doing. They usually do it in December, but they are looking at November, if it's on a date that I am available, I will do that one as well.
Worked on Mini clipboards with coasters this week. I took a bunch of photos, not with the best light, but I will get them posted on my blog hopefully this weekend.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #4289
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I'm doing 4 and stressing over that, can't imagine doing 7. I did some kleenex holders too, but I couldn't find a pattern I could use, I just made a box. If you have a pattern to share I'd like to look at it. I'll be posting some pictures this week as well. Finished up my mini comp books today. What next???hmmmmmm
No pattern really...just wrapped a large belly band strip of paper and decorated with glittered xmas images. I wanted people to be able to slide the kleenex up to dispense with wrapper still on.

Funny... it was Kleenex brand and was scented with mint. Never noticed that when I bought them!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #4290
Insane Embellisher

Default craft shows booked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
So far I have scheduled 1 in September, three the first 3 weeks in November, 2 of which are 2 day events. I am trying to get another for October, and I have my name in for one the first weekend in December. Then one other, they are trying to decide what date they are doing. They usually do it in December, but they are looking at November, if it's on a date that I am available, I will do that one as well.
Worked on Mini clipboards with coasters this week. I took a bunch of photos, not with the best light, but I will get them posted on my blog hopefully this weekend.
Gina - you sound busy like me!
I only do two-day shows. I have too much stock and it takes me too long to set up to be worth it for one day.

I have one weekend where I am overlapping two shows. One is a Friday night & Saturday while the other is Sat & Sunday. My hubby and teenager will be helping me out with those!

I am lucky because during the 2 weeks just prior to xmas, I am able to place whatever is left in a open house type event. I don't have to be there, just give 30% to the Arts Council (who staffs the showcase) and usually get an extra $100 that way.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #4291
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
No pattern really...just wrapped a large belly band strip of paper and decorated with glittered xmas images. I wanted people to be able to slide the kleenex up to dispense with wrapper still on.

Funny... it was Kleenex brand and was scented with mint. Never noticed that when I bought them!
Diane, your things look so nice!! Do you have a picture of the kleenex box that I missed?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #4292
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
Diane, your things look so nice!! Do you have a picture of the kleenex box that I missed?
Thanks!
No - I haven't posted them yet. Hopefully, they will go up this weekend.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #4293
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2106 View Post
I had asked this on the last thread but only had one response so I'm trying again on the new thread

I need ideas on how to attach velcro to the mini portfolios made from file folders (or of another way to keep them closed). The velcro pieces end up detaching when the folder is opened, and I'm not sure which adhesive would be best to make sure they stay down.

The velcro is self-adhesive, but I've also tried Scor Tape (that completely covers the velcro) and hot glue. Both end up not sticking after awhile. Maybe I need to do something like magnetic closures, but I'm afraid that I'll have the same problem with them not staying attached.

Would really appreciate any help because these are really cute, and I have about 15 made but can't sell them if they keep coming undone. Thanks!!

(Also...did you know that you can subscribe to the thread by clicking on "Thread Tools" at the top? That way you don't have to post to subscribe
You might want to check out Staples. I used their Adhesive Magnets that come in business card size last year. The magnet can be cut with scissors so you can get the size you want as long as it's not larger then a business card. I'm not sure how much they are now. I think I paid about $12/$13 for 50 and have a lot left over after making all the Christmas projects.
Jackie
Old 09-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #4294
Embossing Fanatic

I actually secured ribbon all along the back (when folded) so it could be tied closed. I will find one and post a pic so you can see what it looks like.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #4295
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Gina - you sound busy like me!
I only do two-day shows. I have too much stock and it takes me too long to set up to be worth it for one day.

I have one weekend where I am overlapping two shows. One is a Friday night & Saturday while the other is Sat & Sunday. My hubby and teenager will be helping me out with those!

I am lucky because during the 2 weeks just prior to xmas, I am able to place whatever is left in a open house type event. I don't have to be there, just give 30% to the Arts Council (who staffs the showcase) and usually get an extra $100 that way.
We dont have many multiple day sales here. Most are in churches so usually just Saturday. Tis year I went and made up Copy paper boxes where I put in one or two things (ie post it note holders and notebooks) in each box, and labeled the boxes. This way it is much easier for me. This is only the third year I have really been doing shows, so I am still working out kinks. I still havent found the best display option, so that is an on-going process.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #4296
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiebatch View Post
You might want to check out Staples. I used their Adhesive Magnets that come in business card size last year. The magnet can be cut with scissors so you can get the size you want as long as it's not larger then a business card. I'm not sure how much they are now. I think I paid about $12/$13 for 50 and have a lot left over after making all the Christmas projects.
Jackie

I never thought to look for those business card magets at the office store. Duh! Our dollar store had them one year but I didn't think I could use them. I was wrong.

On the velcrow, make sure its not a heavy duty kind. I have used the ones that are dots (WalMart has them in sewing/craft) and those stayed on But the heavy duty ones hold very tight!

MY GALLERY
Old 09-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #4297
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2106 View Post
I had asked this on the last thread but only had one response so I'm trying again on the new thread

I need ideas on how to attach velcro to the mini portfolios made from file folders (or of another way to keep them closed). The velcro pieces end up detaching when the folder is opened, and I'm not sure which adhesive would be best to make sure they stay down.

The velcro is self-adhesive, but I've also tried Scor Tape (that completely covers the velcro) and hot glue. Both end up not sticking after awhile. Maybe I need to do something like magnetic closures, but I'm afraid that I'll have the same problem with them not staying attached.

Would really appreciate any help because these are really cute, and I have about 15 made but can't sell them if they keep coming undone. Thanks!!

(Also...did you know that you can subscribe to the thread by clicking on "Thread Tools" at the top? That way you don't have to post to subscribe
Tombow makes "Fastner Tabs" (hook & loop tabs) that are ultra thin and super strong. I've used them on the portfolios as well as the little purses (that Frenchie made) and they have never come off. The best part is that they really are ULTRA thin so there is no added bulk, which in my opinion is why they stick so well. Check you LSS, if they don't have them, they should be able to order them for you.

Sharon
Old 09-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #4298
Inking Addict

Thanks girls! I've been using the velcro tabs from Walmart that someone suggested, and they work great!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #4299
Insane Embellisher

re: Velcro for paper.
I use the ones from Walmart that are sold in the craft section. They are for papercrafting and are smaller circles. The velcro is shallower than fabric velcro.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #4300
Polyshrink Goddess

Bumping!!! I am now also doing a vendor night at my school. It isn't going to be a really big event, but hoping maybe, just maybe I will get something out of it. It's a free event.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #4301
Pearl-ExPert

Tags, tags, tags, tags, tags. That's what I worked on this weekend. Gift tags. I don't like making them, only because they seem to take forever to get through. My arms are sore today from punching out things and cutting (and gluing!). I have four designs and need a fifth and then I'm done with them (for now at least!).

Then I think I'll work on gift card holders. I did the 'present' ones last year, and those were a big hit, but a lot of work (for the punches to make the bows). But I like to have a different version each year so I think I'll try something different. And hopefully a bit easier (not as much punching out!).

MY GALLERY
Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #4302
Polyshrink Goddess

Mary...do you sell your tags in a set? I have tried selling tags, but without much success, so I was curious. If you dont mind sharing, how many for how much?
Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #4303
Pearl-ExPert

No, its a secret!! Yes I put them in a bag, with a topper that says TAGS (yeah, really original but by the time they get bagged I am so over them!). I put 12 in a bag I think (my notebook is at home that I actually took notes in last year on my sales) and I think they sold for $1.25. But this year, I'm putting them higher. Cost wise, I think I make some money, not time wise but I won't be able to sell them to make my time in making them. They do sell so I do them for the sales. This year, they will be at least $1.50 - but I'm looking at maybe even $1.75 or $2. My friend at work will help me decide once I get the last one done and get a bag together.

I have two sales in October and they don't really sell at those, one here and there. But at the November one they sell way better.

And then when I go to wrap my presents at home I never have tags! So my packages are either tagless or have some weird little tag that I threw together! I find that funny and frustrating at the same time.

I will post mine once I get the last one done.

I was at a sale last year where she had them 5 for $5. They were bigger tags than I do and very nice. I did buy a pack from her just cause I liked them but they weren't selling very well. She used the bigger shipping tags for the base.

My office supply guy did give me 100 of the smaller shipping tags to use - I asked for a sample cause I wanted to see how they looked/felt. So that was nice. I used them on some of my tags, less cutting and I liked the shape of them - and they had string attached. But I had to take the string off for the design I was making (snoman). So that was a pain to take the string off and then put back on.

MY GALLERY
Old 09-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #4304
Polyshrink Goddess

Mary, I am the same way, make lots for sales, not for gifts I give. LOL Last year I wrote on packages with sharpies. I was so ashamed.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:34 AM   #4305
Stazon Splitcoast

A thought for your "personal" tags - If you own a Big Shot and large dies like the top note, save your old Christmas cards and make some simple tags that way. You should be able to cut as many as eight at once. I have been doing this since the days of decorative scissors. You can stamp TO/FROM on the backs to make them "stamped".
Old 09-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #4306
Pearl-ExPert

That's a good idea, making tags out of cards. But last year, I got hardly any cards. Or the ones that did come were family picture cards. I even bought a cool card display thing to put them on and it was soo very lonely. But I also bought that to use for my craft sale. I did buy designer paper from SU, Snow Festival from the new mini. Two pages of that paper can be just cut into tags (with cardstock too) and I did that for my own use. I think I got 24 out of the two pages? So now I have my own tags to use (and my daughter to use too-she comes home with loads of last minute gifts and that's where my extra tags go).

For tags last year, my sister got large shipping tags and glittery letters and just put our names on the tags with a sticker or cut out that was Christmasy. They were very pretty. I liked that idea.

MY GALLERY
Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #4307
Polyshrink Goddess

I have used old cards as tags too. I was just too lazy last year. Lazy and overwhelmed. I hope to do better this year!!
Old 09-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #4308
Insane Embellisher

Default GC holders

Quote:
Then I think I'll work on gift card holders. I did the 'present' ones last year, and those were a big hit, but a lot of work (for the punches to make the bows). But I like to have a different version each year so I think I'll try something different. And hopefully a bit easier (not as much punching out!).
The gift holders that have sold the best for me are not Christmas-themed. They are the purse gift card holders that use teh top note die for the flap. People just fall in love with paper purses.
I made tons all at once, and they lasted me 2 years of sales. The very last ones to sell were the xmas patterns. Faves were black & white designs.
I am going to do some different ones this year..still deciding which design.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #4309
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
The gift holders that have sold the best for me are not Christmas-themed. They are the purse gift card holders that use teh top note die for the flap. People just fall in love with paper purses.
I made tons all at once, and they lasted me 2 years of sales. The very last ones to sell were the xmas patterns. Faves were black & white designs.
I am going to do some different ones this year..still deciding which design.
I've done some of the purse gift card hold holders, but not with the top note. They sold okay. My Christmas ones always sell great! I think last year I started with 150 of them and after all my sales I had 5 or 6 left. Mine are pretty simple too, cut, fold adhere and a belly band.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc04404.jpg  
Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #4310
Die Cut Diva

Very nice Gina. Although you say they are simple, they are decorated very nicely. I have done stockings, present, beanies and mittons in the past. The stocking shaped ones are the bigger seller for me, but I like to change styles since I get repeat customers and they like variety from year to year. I like the "simple" ones you posted and may have to try something like this. Thanks for sharing as always!

Dorlene
Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #4311
Pearl-ExPert

I do lots of Christmas but also have lots of nonChristmas too. Both will sell. So Gina, when you do 150 of ONE item, how long does that take you? When do you start making these items for craft sales? I can't imagine making 150 of any of my items! I sometimes think I make too many things for my craft shows. I like having the variety on the table, but it makes it hard to get everything done. But I keep finding fun things to make and I get carried away!

MY GALLERY
Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #4312

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker3 View Post
Very nice Gina. Although you say they are simple, they are decorated very nicely. I have done stockings, present, beanies and mittons in the past. The stocking shaped ones are the bigger seller for me, but I like to change styles since I get repeat customers and they like variety from year to year. I like the "simple" ones you posted and may have to try something like this. Thanks for sharing as always!

Dorlene
Dorlene, I'm so glad you mentioned stockings!! It made me think of one I saw made with the SU stocking die. This lady made the cutest thing and my upline has an extra one of those dies for sale! I'm going to have to buy it! Santa Sleigh and Stocking Nugget Gift Box and Gift Card Holder - KintaKards Creative Card & Gift Packaging
img_27281.jpg
Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #4313
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker3 View Post
I have done stockings, present, beanies and mittons in the past. The stocking shaped ones are the bigger seller for me, but I like to change styles since I get repeat customers and they like variety from year to year.
Same here! I've tried quite a variety and every year I try to come up with something new. I do 2 craft fairs and they both respond differently to GCs. At one they're quite popular and at the other they're not. It could be because the former is closer to christmas or maybe it's the audience. I do a mix of chrismtas and generic ones.

Here's a photo from my gallery that gives a good picture of most of the GCs I did last year: giftcard holders by smriti - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #4314
Crimping Master

All of those gift card holders are VERY nice! I saw a nail polish and nail file holder on Pinterest this week that I thought was really cute, if you could get the polish and file on sale.

Pam
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #4315
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRKIDDO View Post
I've done some of the purse gift card hold holders, but not with the top note. They sold okay. My Christmas ones always sell great! I think last year I started with 150 of them and after all my sales I had 5 or 6 left. Mine are pretty simple too, cut, fold adhere and a belly band.
Yours are so pretty! They look like alot of paper and work for you to sell for $1 though. Can you share how you make them?

I sell most of mine for $2. I price things dependent on the cost of supplies mostly.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #4316
Insane Embellisher

I posted the kleenex wrappers and some new tall notepad sets I made on my facebook page.

Next on my list is gift card holders, so this chatter is helpful.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #4317
Matboard Maniac

I'd really like to make some pendants...would you mind sharing where can I buy glass tiles, ball chains, and bails in bulk?
Old 09-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #4318
Die Cut Diva

I love the Big Shot die for the stockings since I handcut mine, but I just haven't brought myself to buy it. One of my cricut cartridges makes stockings but the shape is a little thinner and not as cute, but last year I used those and no one noticed the difference.

smriti - great looking gift card holders!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #4319
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCraftyTouch View Post
I'd really like to make some pendants...would you mind sharing where can I buy glass tiles, ball chains, and bails in bulk?
On Etsy or Sun & Moon online store are good suppliers.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #4320

Quote:
Originally Posted by smriti View Post
Same here! I've tried quite a variety and every year I try to come up with something new. I do 2 craft fairs and they both respond differently to GCs. At one they're quite popular and at the other they're not. It could be because the former is closer to christmas or maybe it's the audience. I do a mix of chrismtas and generic ones.

Here's a photo from my gallery that gives a good picture of most of the GCs I did last year: giftcard holders by smriti - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Cute Smriti!! So, it looks like you package them but leave one out so they can see it?