Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cbet
  • 1 Post By shazsilverwolf
  • 1 Post By Petu2000
  • 1 Post By Petu2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
Glitter Queen

Default Converting Wood Mount to Clear

Not sure if this is the right spot for this but here goes. I'm converting all my wood mount to cling. As I stated in another post I travel with my husbands job and right now it's motel to motel but we will be getting an RV soon. With that being said I need to "pack" really light and condense as much as possible. The project I'm working on right now is converting my wood mounts to cling. I've looked over every which way to do it and I'm looking into doing it the easiest which seem to be using the EZ mount cling foam. My question with that is for those that use that method, do you find it to be a problem with not having a picture on it? I tried the tissue paper/cling stuff from the fabric store but that is so time consuming and really isn't working that well for me. When I try and take the stamp off the plastic I have it on the cling comes off with it. Guess I'm using the wrong glue or something. Any suggestions or ideas would be great!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

The EZ Mount method is the most expensive, but it is quick and easy. However, since you are converting from wood, you can usually get the stamps off the wood blocks with the foam intact. It's actually quicker and considerably less expensive to just coat the existing foam with repositionable glue. Alene's Tack-It-Over-and-Over is a good one; Mono Multi in the white bottle with the green caps is my favorite. It's easier to find, and it's easier for me to control the amount I apply; plus you can use the wide end for spreading the glue.

I started with cling mounted stamps with no images on the backs, so I am used to them that way and it doesn't bother me not to have them. Honestly, though, with sentiments it is nice to have the image on the back, to help with the stamping upside-down problem You don't need the cling stuff from the fabric store - you just stamp the image on tissue paper and trim it close to the outline, then apply it to the stamp cushion (which is usually still kind of sticky from the block anyway) and coat the whole thing with your repositionable glue. The trick is to try to make sure the tissue paper image doesn't go all the way to the edge of your stamp, so when you put the glue on it seals the edges. That keeps the image from lifting off. (I've tried the cling vinyl and was not happy with it. I didn't think the stamps stuck very well to the blocks at all.)

Once you've applied the glue - and you don't need a thick coating, a thin one is actually better - you just let it dry until it is clear, and then stick the stamps to your arm or your jeans or something where they'll pick up a little lint to help make the glue a little less sticky. Otherwise, the stamps will be hard to remove from the storage sheets later.

Pros and cons: Gluing them doesn't take a terribly long time, and it's much cheaper than the EZ mount. It is a little more messy, though, with the glue sticking to your fingers. Also, while most stamps come off the wood with cushion easily, some of them do not - the rubber will come off the cushion, but the cushion comes off the block in nasty, shreddy, chunks. The glue won't work on those The EZ mount is more expensive, and you have to cut the stamps out over again, but you don't have them sitting around waiting to dry (and if you're me, accidentally getting one stuck to your elbow and noticing it later). The EZ Mount likes to stick to your scissors when you're cutting the stamps out, but if you have the Tim Holtz Tonic scissors, they're nonstick and that helps. You can also coat the blades with VersaMark ink as you're going along, and that helps.

Last edited by cbet; 01-17-2014 at 05:49 AM..
Rachelrose likes this post.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Mad Swapper

Hi Angie, glad to see you on the boards again and working on your stamping.
I haven't unmounted very many stamps but the ones I have came off with the foam intact. The ones that felt like they wouldn't come off nice I put in the microwave for about 10 seconds and they came off easily.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Mad Swapper

I unmounted the majority of my wood mounts over the last year or so. At first I was putting everything onto EZ mount, as that was what I did with my early unmounteds, but lately I have been going for bare rubber, and some Tack N Peel on my acrylic blocks. It goes on one side of the block, so you can still use the other side for foam mounted. The reasons behind ditching the foam? Mainly, some of my older ones( Maybe 10 or so years) the foam seems to have shrunk slightly, leaving a curved stamp that does not stick very well. I also found that it seems as though the glue on the Foam mount breaks down eventually, as with many of these older ones, I was able to simply peel away the foam from the stamp.
One thing I will say, if using the foam, be very careful NOT to undercut at the edges, you will get poor images from the stamping. Keep your scissors/knife upright and square to the stamp.
Many of my stamps came off the wood block easily, often with the foam intact. Those that didn't got he microwave treatment, then they peeled away easily.
Regarding the upside down stamping, I solved this issue bydrawing a small upwards pointing arrow on the back of the stamp, pointing to the top. Or wrote TOP on it. Not only sentiments, I have a couple of map images that are impossible to decipher till after you've stamped them,lol.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Wow - thanks for the wonderful advice, ladies. I haven't tackled this job yet (I easily own 300 SU wood mounted sets) but have bookmarked this page to refresh my aging memory when do I take the time to do it. I intend to stamp a copy of each image and sentiment for reference and place them in a page protector. UMs and images will be stored together in 4" ring binders. Oh the shelf space that I will gain!
I am a frugal sort and wonder - is any good use for the discarded blocks?

My time is not mine to have, but mine to share
Proud Fan Club member
Marzi, Punchkateer Apprentice - why use 1 when you can use 2? or 8?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
Mad Swapper

The smaller blocks make excellent DIY ink blending tools! Here, on my blog is how I made some with discarded blocks.
momof5sons likes this post.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Kookie Creator

HI momof5sons!
I have a few wood blocks myself from my own unmounting project. One day I intend on making something like this with them. How to Transfer a Photograph Onto a Block of Wood
There is a video on the page as well. It looks like such a great project! A friend of mine just gave me as set of travertine tile coasters of some of my pics, and I love it!

Also, if you need mounting foam, Stampers Best is the best priced persheet and great quality. You can get an additional discount if you use my name as the discount code, "amalia".

Good luck on your project. Mine is a continual work in progress. (sigh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5sons View Post
Wow - thanks for the wonderful advice, ladies. I haven't tackled this job yet (I easily own 300 SU wood mounted sets) but have bookmarked this page to refresh my aging memory when do I take the time to do it. I intend to stamp a copy of each image and sentiment for reference and place them in a page protector. UMs and images will be stored together in 4" ring binders. Oh the shelf space that I will gain!
I am a frugal sort and wonder - is any good use for the discarded blocks?

****Look here if you enjoy being creative: Learn, make and do crafts!
**** Get free crafting products!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
Kookie Creator

PS: I found printable cling film and took the original images off the wood (when possible) and used my copy/printer to print the images on the cling film and then I glued them on to the cling foam. Yeah, I am a little OCD like that.

****Look here if you enjoy being creative: Learn, make and do crafts!
**** Get free crafting products!