Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-28-2006, 04:46 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default composition book instructions

anyone has instructions on what to use and how to make these? they look very cool, i am afraid they are hard to do....:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

I measure around the edge of the cover, cut my carstock, then use my permanent adhesive to attach. I then just decorate and embellish just like I would a cardfront. I've been meaning to post one of mine, but haven't gotten around to it.
I gave these to all the members of my buyer's club as a thank you gift, as well as my kids' teachers. They are really a hit. I suggest personalizing them with names, and it means more.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I am alright when covering the back and front, it's the "spine" that give's me trouble. I even give it a little extra give, but, when you open the book the spine falls off. I've used double sided tape, red liner, and just plain old glue stick. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 07:16 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't use SU cardstock because it is too think. Instead I use a velveteen or suede like paper from my local craft store. Or I use acrylic paint to cover it. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 08:13 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Probably reading your blog...instead of actually stamping

I actually don't do the spine for that reason. I do the front and back and leave the spine black, as is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 05:01 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default what kind of glue/adhesive

what kind of glue/adhesive do you use to stick the paper to the book? i don't like the mess with the hodpodge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 05:25 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used a spray adhesive to be sure everything stayed stuck! And I also have tried to incorporate the black spine so I didn't have to cover it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 07:31 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have actually used acrylic paint on the spine instead of paper. I use paper to decorate the front and back. Also taped down ribbon. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 08:38 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

either sticky strip or glue adhesive

BTW... starting Sunday, the mini compostion notebooks will be on sale at walgreens 6/$1.00
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 12:19 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I leave the spines black, much easier that way.
For adhesive, I've been using my xyron and that seems to be working well.
I'm stocking up on them now with back to school sales. Thanks for the heads up on the mini's!

Laura

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2006, 09:57 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I just made some composition books for my child's teachers. The pics are posted in my gallery - derck.
I do not cover the spine. I use a solid piece of cardstock to cover the front, adhered with Aleene's tacky glue. The cardstock is thick enough to not "show through" the paper. Everything else I add with mono or sticky tape. I also use ribbon many times to cover up any spots where the cardstock or paper don't match up perfectly.

The books I made last year were a BIG hit, and lasted through many faculty and PTA meetings!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #12  
CraZy Cat Lady
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mod Podge may be a bit messy if you aren't careful, but the end result is totally worth it!!! I did my On Board Art Journal and a mini spiral notebook...never thought of a composition book -- gonna get right on that! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2006, 10:19 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default composition books

for the spine of my books, i also like to use book binding tape. it's by making memories and is on a card with off-white, barn red and black (2 yards each). i like it so that i can put the paper on the front and back of the book and have a clean edge of that tape on top of it. it's VERY sticky and made of fabric, so the books open easily. i imagine you could even paint it a different color if you wanted to with acrylics. here is my composition book using the tape: Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #14  
Kookie Creator

My $.02.

I have used the velveteen/suede paper on the spine or a velvet ribbon. I use an embellishement glue stick that I get at Wal-mart for all the gluing on the comp book. These glue sticks are stronger than your average and seem to work great. These are so fun to make and I have used several as gifts.

Celinda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #15  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm so glad I found this thread since I bought 4 composition books about 10 days ago (2 for 88-cents at Rite-Aid and they came in colors like purple, green, red and navy!)

I did plan to keep the "original" binding which was another reason I was excited to find colors. Now, I just have to find time to decide which papers, etc. will be used.

Thanks again for the great tips and the photo sharing (drooling!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 09:12 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Default How about wallpaper?

I just did a cover using scrapbook paper. When I was done I wondered if using wall paper would work? What do you think? I would be a great way to make use of leftover wall paper.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Can anyone tell me how they do the corners? Do you bend it over or just cut to the exact size? I think that is what is stopping me from doin them. Please help
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I used modge podge for the first time on a notebook I did this weekend and I really liked how it worked. It was a bit messy and I used patterned paper, thinner than cardstock, so there was a bit of a bubble issue, but I would bet with cardstock you wouldn't have the bubble issue. I have used the red line tape but its pricey to use for these things. I also got that embelishment glue stick at WalMart and was totally surprised at how that baby stuck things down. I'm getting more of that. Someone else suggested the "yes" glue, a tacky glue, but a regular tacky glue would probably work too. And for the corners, I measure and cut pretty close, and then I use my corner rounder (most of the books have round edged corners) which is pretty close when I stick the paper down. I then either use an exacto knife to get the edge of paper off, or use a nail file and file it down to the book. Kind of distresses the edge of the paper if you like that look (got that idea off of this site!!!). Practice with a small book and you'll be surprised at how easy and addicting these become. And if you make a mistake, the paper tears (like when your hands are all modge podge sticky and you touch the book and adhere to the paper!!!), just use ribbon, other embellishment or something stamped and stick it over it. Its all good!!! Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 09:39 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

THanks mary, You said it in english. I can uderstand what you r talking about. I hope I dont get addicted, Its just another thing I will have 2 deal with, I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 10:05 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Red face

I am on my way to look in your gallery, thanks. I have held off on this type of project due to the fear of bubbles underneath, driving me nuts. Also, I think the larger sized clip boards are fun. And, have many uses. I'd like one for prismacoloring at my bedside.
Quote:

Originally Posted by derck
I just made some composition books for my child's teachers. The pics are posted in my gallery - derck.
I do not cover the spine. I use a solid piece of cardstock to cover the front, adhered with Aleene's tacky glue. The cardstock is thick enough to not "show through" the paper. Everything else I add with mono or sticky tape. I also use ribbon many times to cover up any spots where the cardstock or paper don't match up perfectly.

The books I made last year were a BIG hit, and lasted through many faculty and PTA meetings!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by felcares
Can anyone tell me how they do the corners? Do you bend it over or just cut to the exact size? I think that is what is stopping me from doin them. Please help
i use my corner rounder and punch the paper to match the rounded corner.

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

I just bought several small sprial bound notebooks at the Dollar Tree. They measure 4x6. I cut CS @ 5x7, scored a 1/2 inch allaround, then cut corners at a 45 degree angle so that the cut barely met where the horizontal and vertical scores met. I chose NOT to cover the inside. I guess it would be more finished if I did nto wrap around or if I covered the inside.
Check out my gallery............

Kris's Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I've made a few recently that are wire bound -- with 1/4" square holes for the wire. Never having done these before, and not taking time to read any posts on them, I used Rubber Cement and I think it works great, though a bit messy on the fingers. Once it is on and set, it will not peel off at all -- it is as permanent as if it were factory done, totally flat, no bubbles or lumps. Being wire bound, I cut my cover piece 1" larger on all 3 edges (the wire edge has to fit right), then I mitered the corners by folding the edges and then unfolding so I can see where it is necessary to cut the angle, then I also apply the Rubber Cement all over the inside of the cover and adhere the inside piece. It looks like factory made when done. I am very, very liberal when applying my Rubber Cement. When using Rubber Cement, the cement that squeezes out at the seems dries and then you can rub it off with your fingers -- it just balls up in your fingers and you can get it as clean as can be -- that's just how I did it. I have 3 done in my gallery if you'd like to look.

The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store/Stamp Simply Clear Stamps

MY BLOG -- No Time To Stamp?

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok, so how do you do the wire edge? Do you have to take it off and rewire once completed? There must be a trick that I am just not thinkin' about!
:???:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Smile Wire or spiral books

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alliesmem
Ok, so how do you do the wire edge? Do you have to take it off and rewire once completed? There must be a trick that I am just not thinkin' about!
:???:
Well, there are several different kinds of wire edged books -- spiral bound like a school notebook -- I have never done those -- I am told it is fairly easy to untwirl it and then twirl it back on - I haven't tried -- doesn't sound too easy to me as all those sheets of paper would be loose.

The ones I have done are the type of double wire, not spiral, that has an opening in the back and you can just very easily slip off the front and back cover -- if you look at books in the store you'll know what I mean. The pages stay intact and only the covers come off. I did one with round holes that my standard hole punch fit perfectly. Just cover the entire cover and then repunch the holes, as you can still see them from the underside. The others I did have 1/4" square holes. My SU 1/4" square thumb punch fits those holes pefectly, but on the two I have in my gallery, the book cover itself is so thick the punch wouldn't slide in, so I only covered up to the wire and tried to hide it with the ribbons -- but it really doesn't show much anyway as I coordinated the colors well -- however, next time I try I'm told I can just trace those holes from the cover onto my paper and actually punch the holes BEFORE I adhere the paper -- don't know why I didn't think of that myself -- should work just fine -- making any of these books is so much fun!!! Hope you try it and have fun!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 12:11 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

thanks, I will definitely try this out now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #27  
Glitter Queen

I love to make Covered Composition Books and sell them at craft fairs all the time. They are a big hit right around back to school time. Anyhow, I use ModPodge to glue the cardstock down to the front, but place a piece of scrap paper between the cover and the first page and then using a foam brush, I lightly cover the entire cover and then align my cardstock with the edges and smooth it down. I think Cardstock is the best to use for covering the front and back because you don't have to worry about it bubbling, however patterened paper looks lovely and the bubbles can be smoothed with a bone folder, carefully. For the Binding, use a long piece of Sticky strip and adhere the 2 long edges to the cardstock cover, don't try to adhere it directly to the notebook. I think its a little to slick for that. Also for the binding I curve it by running it gently over the edge of the table to give it a nice curve and make it more pliable. I also use a strip of grosgrain or gingham ribbon adhered with sticky strip to hide that seam between the binding and cover. They look so classy that way. As for the rounded edges, it depends, some comp. books work perfectly with the corner rounder but most need to be hand trimmed. HTH

Michele
www.micheleslone.stampinup.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #28  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Question Bummer, none uploaded!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykuulei39
I love to make Covered Composition Books and sell them at craft fairs all the time. They are a big hit right around back to school time. Anyhow, I use ModPodge to glue the cardstock down to the front, but place a piece of scrap paper between the cover and the first page and then using a foam brush, I lightly cover the entire cover and then align my cardstock with the edges and smooth it down. I think Cardstock is the best to use for covering the front and back because you don't have to worry about it bubbling, however patterened paper looks lovely and the bubbles can be smoothed with a bone folder, carefully. For the Binding, use a long piece of Sticky strip and adhere the 2 long edges to the cardstock cover, don't try to adhere it directly to the notebook. I think its a little to slick for that. Also for the binding I curve it by running it gently over the edge of the table to give it a nice curve and make it more pliable. I also use a strip of grosgrain or gingham ribbon adhered with sticky strip to hide that seam between the binding and cover. They look so classy that way. As for the rounded edges, it depends, some comp. books work perfectly with the corner rounder but most need to be hand trimmed. HTH

Michele
www.micheleslone.stampinup.net
I just read your post on how you do it -- was wishing I could see one -- especially since you said they were popular sellers at fairs -- I checked and you have no gallery -- can you upload some for us to see?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I have done some of these books in the past and I am getting ready to to do more for a swap on here and back to school. I have used carpet tape to put the covers down with but be careful when you put your paper down because it really sticks good. I will try the spray glue but I always seem to end up with it on my hands which can be tricky when you are working with paper. The corners I have done both with foldinging the paper over so the corners become square and some I have just cut very close to the edge. HTH.
Karyn Angel #3922 Being an ANGEL is just more fun!
my space The New Cattie is out contact me for information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2006, 07:52 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I am so excited to find this thread! I just bought 2 boxes of these at Walmart (tax free weekend and back to school sale WOOHOO) and am anxious to try it. I'll have to check out Walgreens too to see if I can find the mini books!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

Was just strolling through Target and saw regular sized comp notebooks, 2 for $1. PILES of them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

I use SU! cardstock for the front and back and use the red sticky tape to apply it. On the bind I use the designer paper with the sticky tape. I have never had a problem with it. Then on the ends I use my corner rounder. Everyone has always loved them and thought they were bought from a store!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

What about sliding the paper through my zyron?

Just how many days until vacation?Who'da thunk 18 Kindergarteners would be this tiring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessprplfrog
What about sliding the paper through my zyron?
Hi Jen,
THis has worked for me.. I PREFER to use sticky strip or spray adhesive.. but I have used the xyron for the mini books.. and it has worked perfectly. I can email you pics of ones i just did for a swap using my xyron machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 10:57 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetpea111403
Hi Jen,
THis has worked for me.. I PREFER to use sticky strip or spray adhesive.. but I have used the xyron for the mini books.. and it has worked perfectly. I can email you pics of ones i just did for a swap using my xyron machine.
That would be great. I got a "hostess gift" at a get Stampin' get together we had that was an oragomi bag, a covered mini-composition notebook and an rsvp pen in the new Sarah paper. I bought a few mini-composition notebooks to cover and want the paper to stay put.
I've never used spray adhesive before.

Just how many days until vacation?Who'da thunk 18 Kindergarteners would be this tiring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

ok PM me your email address.. and I will send pics over to you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

argg where is the edit button!!
I dont want to post on the gallery because it is for swap that still has not been swapped out.. so I don't want to ruin it for the ladies in the swap.
Reply With Quote Likes