Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Matboard Maniac

Default colouring with copics

When colouring a stamped image that contains shading within the stamp how would you shade it? For example, the shading on a stamp I have of a shell has crosshatching as part of its shaded area on the stamp.

Sandra
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
Watercolor Wizard

It depends on the stamp but sometimes the crosshatching (or tiny dots) is enough and you don't need to add extra shading, just colour over with the same as you're using for the area around it.

Otherwise, I tend to use the shading on the stamp as a guide for where to use a darker colour. So you can see what I mean, I'm attaching a postcard I just made with a detailed stamp that has plenty of shading on the stamp itself (you can see the stamp image "raw" here if you scroll down to "Oak branch"). It's stamped with Adirondack Espresso and I coloured each leaf with E31 Brick Beige then used E37 Sepia on some of the areas shaded darker on the stamped image, blending the edges with the E31.

The stamp is detailed enough in its shading that it actually looked pretty cool just with the stamping ink and the single colour of Copic but I felt the extra E37 just added a bit of depth and helped the leaf veins to stand out a bit more.

HTH!
Attached Thumbnails
newbeginningspc.jpg  

My blog
Old 01-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
Matboard Maniac

Thanks Joanne!