Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anna Griffin's gatefold embossing folders

I don't know if this is the correct place to adress this, so forgive me if it's not. Can anyone help me with this problem? I love the patterns and it does emboss beautifully, however, it cuts into the scored edges and even some places around the outline. Thank you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have this particular set of embossing folders, but in general...I've heard that putting a piece of thin paper, like copy paper, between the folder and your cardstock might help with this problem and keep the embossing folder from cutting into your cardstock.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

You could try adding wax paper with the cardstock you are going to emboss with. Or try using a layer or two of chipboard instead of one of the b plates.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2015, 03:15 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I didn't purchase the gatefolds because it results in a square card. With that wraparound design, I think it's only natural that some of the image lands on the score lines. Perhaps shifting the folder on a longer sheet might help? I think I remember that the folders were about 5.5" wide which puts you close to the edge of the plate surfaces.

I did buy the inserts/folders and found that I had to use extra paper to avoid a cut in the edges. They are also only really useful for a 5x7 card, which is larger than what I usually make. The only exception is to emboss the center insert and die cut that image, which is what I did for my Easter card (check my gallery for the lilac card). Check your paper quality as well - a heavier weight paper isn't always the solution with those folders. Experiment with scraps to see what cuts and what does not. As you may also read, there are some "sweet spots" on our plates and rollers.

Good luck with this - AG products are very beautiful and I have gotten many good results in using them. Check her blog as well and post a comment if you cannot get to a satisfactory solution. Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I don't have this particular set of embossing folders, but in general...I've heard that putting a piece of thin paper, like copy paper, between the folder and your cardstock might help with this problem and keep the embossing folder from cutting into your cardstock.
Thank you! I tried this and it worked!! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by babybluernView Post
You could try adding wax paper with the cardstock you are going to emboss with. Or try using a layer or two of chipboard instead of one of the b plates.
Thanks for sharing! I'll try this and will let you know the results!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciocidiView Post
I didn't purchase the gatefolds because it results in a square card. With that wraparound design, I think it's only natural that some of the image lands on the score lines. Perhaps shifting the folder on a longer sheet might help? I think I remember that the folders were about 5.5" wide which puts you close to the edge of the plate surfaces.

I did buy the inserts/folders and found that I had to use extra paper to avoid a cut in the edges. They are also only really useful for a 5x7 card, which is larger than what I usually make. The only exception is to emboss the center insert and die cut that image, which is what I did for my Easter card (check my gallery for the lilac card). Check your paper quality as well - a heavier weight paper isn't always the solution with those folders. Experiment with scraps to see what cuts and what does not. As you may also read, there are some "sweet spots" on our plates and rollers.

Good luck with this - AG products are very beautiful and I have gotten many good results in using them. Check her blog as well and post a comment if you cannot get to a satisfactory solution. Diane
Thank for sharing! I knew I could count on my "crafty friend" to help me find solutions. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbaView Post
Thank you! I tried this and it worked!! Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome, Jimba. That's the fun thing about this site - that we get to share and help each other with this wonderful hobby! Glad it worked for you.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
You are welcome, Jimba. That's the fun thing about this site - that we get to share and help each other with this wonderful hobby! Glad it worked for you.
You are so right! In a world of "me first" how refreshing it is to have a world of crafty sisters & brothers who are there fie us when we need help. Thanks again buggainkok for sharing & caring!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 02:28 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Jimba - I am glad the extra paper insert did the trick for you! I embossed and die cut a few more inserts for future use, and the paper shim worked for me as well. Plus, I got a deeper embossed sentiment. Don't forget to do a HSN review if that's where you purchased your folders. Customers always appreciate comments from users. I agree - this is a wonderful site for ideas, support and creative affirmation, regardless of the issue or whether or not we come to a solution! Please share a card or two here... Diane aka ciocidi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciocidiView Post
Jimba - I am glad the extra paper insert did the trick for you! I embossed and die cut a few more inserts for future use, and the paper shim worked for me as well. Plus, I got a deeper embossed sentiment. Don't forget to do a HSN review if that's where you purchased your folders. Customers always appreciate comments from users. I agree - this is a wonderful site for ideas, support and creative affirmation, regardless of the issue or whether or not we come to a solution! Please share a card or two here... Diane aka ciocidi

Thank you for sharing! I will take your advise and will complete a review and add this trick!
Reply With Quote Likes