Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree561Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #281
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH1966 View Post
Hello!

I LOVE Brenda's Hershey kisses tutorials, etc! Such amazing ideas! I make a few of the Christmas trees she has the tutorial done up for, and wondered if anyone has sold them at a craft fair? I think they are so cute that I think they would sell (giving her full credit of course for the design!) Has anyone tried those? Did they sell and what price?

Thanks so much! My first show is 11/2 and I am SOOOOO far behind, I need quick and impactful this next 2 weeks!

Maria

Read more: Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion
I made them last year and sold them for $5 and sold all. I only made 10 but will make again and the star ones as well this year
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
MLH1966 likes this post.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #282
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
I have tried to make these pebble magnets a few times in the past two weeks. The image smears or I get bubbles under the glass. I did a make and take at a show and it turned out perfectly. Any thoughts on what I am doing incorrectly?

Thanks
Use some finishing spray on top of the image before using the glue to press the glass on. A glaze of any kind will work but the spray allows the grit of the paper to help adhere the images.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:25 PM   #283
Cardstock Collector

Default first time christmas craft fair

Hi ladies, I have read over the pages of this and the other threads pertaining to the craft show info. I decided to jump into the craft fair pond and have a question. When you are catering your stuff to sell for "christmas" or "holiday" do any of you go outside of the traditional red, green, and white color pallet, or do you make some items using non-traditional paper such as zebra pattern, or any of the other patterned card stock out there like Tim Holtz etc? If you did, was it as successful as the traditional holiday colors or not? I am overwhelmed by the pattern paper I have and before I invest the time in making the cocoa packets, and tea/cookie holders with those types of paper, I would like to get the most bang for my $ if you know what I mean.

Cindy
Old 10-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #284
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccourtenay View Post
Hi ladies, I have read over the pages of this and the other threads pertaining to the craft show info. I decided to jump into the craft fair pond and have a question. When you are catering your stuff to sell for "christmas" or "holiday" do any of you go outside of the traditional red, green, and white color pallet, or do you make some items using non-traditional paper such as zebra pattern, or any of the other patterned card stock out there like Tim Holtz etc? If you did, was it as successful as the traditional holiday colors or not? I am overwhelmed by the pattern paper I have and before I invest the time in making the cocoa packets, and tea/cookie holders with those types of paper, I would like to get the most bang for my $ if you know what I mean.

Cindy
Absolutely! I have made some gift card holders using the stocking builder punch with leopard print paper, trimmed with black ribbon and some rhinestones, they were a big hit with the "Girly" crowd. I would totally use zebra if I had it! I also like aqua colors or pale pinks with silver and white. I think you could make anything look "holiday".

Last edited by nancystamps; 10-19-2013 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 10-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #285
Rubber Obsessor

Default Glass magnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
Use some finishing spray on top of the image before using the glue to press the glass on. A glaze of any kind will work but the spray allows the grit of the paper to help adhere the images.
What is finishing spray? Do you buy it at a craft store?
I had purchased some round circle images that had a shine on them and the ink smeared. Do you have to use special paper?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2013, 03:26 PM   #286
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
What is finishing spray? Do you buy it at a craft store?
I had purchased some round circle images that had a shine on them and the ink smeared. Do you have to use special paper?

Thanks
What are you using to adhere the glass? Tacky glue works just fine and I have never had smearing of store bought images before on them.

Finishing spray is a semi gloss coating you can spray on items. I usually use this one on images before I adhere them but any brand will do:
KrylonŽ Matte Finish
Old 10-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #287
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccourtenay View Post
When you are catering your stuff to sell for "christmas" or "holiday" do any of you go outside of the traditional red, green, and white color pallet, or do you make some items using non-traditional paper such as zebra pattern, or any of the other patterned card stock out there like Tim Holtz etc?
Yes, I vary but try to keep them clean and not too vibrant.
I have noticed people really like purple but not the bright colours - a muted purple tone always sells well for me.

Also, make sure you sell some items that are not specifically geared for xmas so people can also use it for a birthday or other gift. Sometimes, I will ahve a xmas tag that is detachable for this purpose.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #288
Kookie Creator

Subbing
Old 10-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #289
Insane Embellisher

Is anyone doing cards also? I started with cards years ago but they are less and less a part of my craft shows. I find non-xmas cards sell the best, which is kind of odd!
Old 10-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #290
Glitter Queen

Send a message via MSN to AndreaH Send a message via Yahoo to AndreaH

Quote:
Is anyone doing cards also? I started with cards years ago but they are less and less a part of my craft shows. I find non-xmas cards sell the best, which is kind of odd!
My mother and I have noticed that over the years the cards that people buy are mostly cards with actual Christmas sentiments. We have made winter wishes and holiday greetings but the Merry Christmas cards always sell out first.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #291
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
A friend of mine and I actually sold out of our Christmas and Thanksgiving cards at a November craft fair last year. That was after 3 years or so of selling very few cards. I teach a card class through the year, so I make extra of every card and have them on hand. I haven't really made them specifically for the fairs.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #292
Pearl-ExPert

Had my first sale on Saturday and I did very well. Very well for me is around $200. it was a small fair, not many vendors and only went fro 9-1. I hope they get more vendors in next year so more people will come to the sale. It was slow at times too and I was really thinking that I didn't do very well. But when I packed up and had empty boxes that were full when I came I realized I sold more than I thought I had.

The Hershey snowmen (big and small) didn't sell, but that's probably because it was October.

I did make the Elf and Turkey legs (posted links to them about a page ago) and they did sell. Sold them for $2.50. The elf ones are pretty easy to do, the turkey takes longer and I'm going to see if I can shorten the time they take a bit.

I made coaster calendars that stand on a desk and those sold well. My acrylic desk set (acrylic frame with calendar, post it note and a clip) sold too (i don't make many of them but they usually all sell out by the end of my sales).

Gift card holdes are my biggest seller at that sale and I sold a ton of them. Now I need to make a ton more. I had several different designs this year but the belly band one, the simplest one, sells the best I think.

I had a lot of leftovers from last year (key fobs, magnets, little purses that held lip stick) and I put those out and some of that sold as well. Those purses (pattern is from Frenchie) hold a gift card too so people like that.

I did my chapstick differently this year though, I followed a pattern using the dress die from SU - and you make this little box that the chapstick goes in and the dress goes on the front and back of the box. They are really cute and I sold a few of them.

I did nugget jars too made with the jar die and stamp set from SU. Those were kind of a pain to do and I don't think I'm making them again next year. But I sold a few of them too.

I also had actual jars that I picked up a few years ago from Michael's in the wedding section (small and larger ones) that sold very well.

I didn't take pictures but I will when I repack and post them in my gallery. Nothign that we haven't seen before, but its my take on things.

I have three more sales to do and i'm going to make some cards for those sales. Not many, but I'm going to try cards at the next one.

And the Hershey trees too that were mentioned earlier. Those are so cute.

And some type of bookmark. I always have bookmarks at my sales but I just ran out of time for this one. I had some left over from last year (but I didn't like them!) and I put them out and sold a couple.

Oh and those magnets. I was really on the fence on doing them but I did them (I think Diane convinced me). Dollar store glass, glue, and I just used SU designer paper. picked out pretty areas of the paper or maybe an image, so they were really quick, and cheap to do. The most expensive thing is the magnet on the back. Mine are small though, some are half an inch, some are maybe an inch or a bit bigger. I sell mine 3 for $2.00 and last year (these are again left overs!) sold a ton of them. I sold some more at this sale too. I made a billion of them I think! Kind of got carried away in doing them cause they were so fun and quick and cute. And I don't bag them, I let people pick what they want and mix/match (and some do take the small ones with the big ones). I put them on a metal tray (Dollar Store) up on a table picture frame holder thing (Dollar Store!). I have more that I did with one inch tiles I had bought before but I haven't even put those out yet. I think they will make an appearance at the next sale though. And even those are cheap to do.

Did anyone else have a sale this last weekend?

MY GALLERY
cookie1031 likes this post.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #293
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
FYI on the acrylic frames - I bought 5x7 from Walmart to make my desk things (calendar, post it note, pen, clip). got most of them done and then realized there is a film on them to take off before you use them. I really don't remember that from the other years I used these. So I had to take them apart and take off the film, and remake them. So if you buy these, check for the film. Who knew!?? Not me.
I was wondering how all of you attach the matching pens to the frames?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #294
Die Cut Diva

Great job mrusson!!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #295
Proud Fan Club Member

subbing

My Gallery
Old 10-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #296
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHQUEEN View Post

I have a ribbon that goes around the top of the frame and I just clip the pen to that ribbon I have also made some that use a ribbon holder on the side, kind of tape a piece of ribbn to the paper in a loop so the pen will just sit inside that loop. But I like using the ribbon around the top better, it keeps the frame together (its kind of loose sometimes) and its way easier than making that loop - sometimes I make the loop too big and the pen kind of slides out of it. I might have some from last year in my gallery.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #297
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Quote:
We have found that card sets sell but not individual cards. So I'm making a half open box to put mine in. I made a few bags sized to fit reg cards, but all my friends said they liked the boxes better. They are my product testers and advisors! I also made a few purses that hold 3 x 3 card sets.

I will make some Christmas sets, but they will ALL say Christmas. It is a Christian holiday and if non Christians are offended too bad. This is a concession I will never ever make. When I taught schoolnI always had a Christmas tree in the room too! One year, a parent who was an Atheist complained to the Principal. So I moved the tree to my desk. The parent complained again and I promptly got out my copy of the bill of rights and how they pertain to teachers. (Obtained from the government printing office) It clearly states that you can have one on your own personal desk! Then I got really mad and went out and bought a tiny nativity scene, glued strings to all the figures and the creche and hung them on my tree too! Humph tell me I can't celebrate my own religion in my own space!

Sorry for the rant but the wole happy holidays instead of Christmas just burns my grits.
NancyL2648, mrussom, jennscraft and 3 others like this post.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #298
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Every year I want to do cards but I never have enough time to make the cards. Cards take much more time for me than making all this altered stuff. I need to prepare them right from the beginning of the year but that never happens.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #299
Pearl-ExPert

I didn't realize there was a bill of rights that pertain to teachers. Good to know.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #300
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by smriti View Post
Every year I want to do cards but I never have enough time to make the cards. Cards take much more time for me than making all this altered stuff. I need to prepare them right from the beginning of the year but that never happens.
Me too! I have someone asking for cards this year and so I will try to get some done up but they are my last thing I do to sell too. Some year I will do things on a monthly basis so I can have EVERYTHING I want ready for the sale, but I've been saying that for two years now and its never happened! There's always next year.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #301
Pearl-ExPert

Congratulations Mary on your good sale!
Old 10-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #302
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHQUEEN View Post
This is the first time I'm doing them and I'm simply tying the frame and the pen with a ribbon, and topping off with a bow. So the pen and the frame are not really attached, they're just bundled together. KWIM? That's the most common way I found it done and kind of liked the looks of it.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #303
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Some year I will do things on a monthly basis so I can have EVERYTHING I want ready for the sale, but I've been saying that for two years now and its never happened! There's always next year.
Same here Some year hopefully I will actually do it - there's always hope
Old 10-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #304

Mary, I'm so glad you did well my partner made those pebble magnets last hear and I don't think she sold one. I'll tell her that yours sold so she can put them out again.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #305

Want a laugh?

You know how you see things on Pinterest and they look so good, but then you make one and it flops? Well I saw a place card holder made from three candy canes glued together. The curved ends are the "legs." I thought these would make great holders for price signs. Sooo I got candy canes from the dollar store, got all sticky taking the wrappers off, broke three of them then glued them together. Got hot glue strings allll over the place and on the dogs, broke some more, the dog ate one, finally done. I took them out to the shop to spray with clear acrylic sealant. DH looked at them, looked at me, and said how much did you pay for those? I told him and he said, "well you wasted a dollar honey. They are not going to hold up, they're too brittle.

The dogs thought they were yummy.

(I just gave them the ends where there was no glue)
mrussom and jennscraft like this post.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #306
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
Want a laugh?

You know how you see things on Pinterest and they look so good, but then you make one and it flops? Well I saw a place card holder made from three candy canes glued together. The curved ends are the "legs." I thought these would make great holders for price signs. Sooo I got candy canes from the dollar store, got all sticky taking the wrappers off, broke three of them then glued them together. Got hot glue strings allll over the place and on the dogs, broke some more, the dog ate one, finally done. I took them out to the shop to spray with clear acrylic sealant. DH looked at them, looked at me, and said how much did you pay for those? I told him and he said, "well you wasted a dollar honey. They are not going to hold up, they're too brittle.

I think I've seen those, didn't realize you had to take the wrappers off to make that (I HATE taking those stupid wrappers off!). So funny.

I did that with at one of my sales. Made these cute little pumpkins that had a paperclip out of the top (used the ornament punch maybe?). anyway did a bunch of them, and every one of them kept falling over at the sale (they held my signs for prices). So frustrated with them that I just kept taking them off the table. Someone bought a couple of them for me and I gave some others away. I know others have made them and they were adorable and apparently useful but not mine. A day's work down the tubes on that one. And paper!

MY GALLERY
Old 10-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #307
Rubber Obsessor

Default Glass marbles

Quote:
What are you using to adhere the glass? Tacky glue works just fine and I have never had smearing of store bought images before on them.

Finishing spray is a semi gloss coating you can spray on items. I usually use this one on images before I adhere them but any brand will do:
KrylonŽ Matte Finish
Thanks for the help. I tried another glue I had and it did the same thing. Will be heading to Michaels to buy the glue you recommended. Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #308
Matboard Maniac

To mrussom: Congrats on your sale! I'm already missing not preparing for one this year. I've never had much luck here (Texas) selling my cards except to other stampers! I know...crazy. I have only tried singles of every type and a few sets of notecards, not sets of Christmas cards, which might sell better.

To SC Magnolia: Someone on one of these threads suggested using the small acrylic frames (like you use for the post it calendars/pad/pens) to make price holders. I did that last year and it worked great. They are small, maybe 2 x 3 inches, and I got them at Wmart. * Personal note: Also, since you and I share the same feelings about Christmas, I thought you might like to know about a great song by the Go Fish Guys called "Christmas with a Capital C.". It is my favorite all time Christmas album and I am 65 years old. There is a song on the album called "It's About the Cross" that is awesome. You can go to the Go Fish Guys website and listen to these songs. Lots of adults don't know about them because they are primarily a group for children.
sc magnolia likes this post.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #309
Kookie Creator

I am hoping to get some more cards made up before my first show on Saturday! I find that "thinking of you" and "thank you" cards go the best.....and sympathy
mrussom and sc magnolia like this post.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #310
Pearl-ExPert

I use those small frames now for my prices and they work really well. They stay up! and are easy to read.

MY GALLERY
Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #311
Rubber Obsessor

Default Craft show and Monster PP's

Quote:
Had my first sale on Saturday and I did very well. Very well for me is around $200. it was a small fair, not many vendors and only went fro 9-1. I hope they get more vendors in next year so more people will come to the sale. It was slow at times too and I was really thinking that I didn't do very well. But when I packed up and had empty boxes that were full when I came I realized I sold more than I thought I had.

The Hershey snowmen (big and small) didn't sell, but that's probably because it was October.

I did make the Elf and Turkey legs (posted links to them about a page ago) and they did sell. Sold them for $2.50. The elf ones are pretty easy to do, the turkey takes longer and I'm going to see if I can shorten the time they take a bit.

I made coaster calendars that stand on a desk and those sold well. My acrylic desk set (acrylic frame with calendar, post it note and a clip) sold too (i don't make many of them but they usually all sell out by the end of my sales).

Gift card holdes are my biggest seller at that sale and I sold a ton of them. Now I need to make a ton more. I had several different designs this year but the belly band one, the simplest one, sells the best I think.

I had a lot of leftovers from last year (key fobs, magnets, little purses that held lip stick) and I put those out and some of that sold as well. Those purses (pattern is from Frenchie) hold a gift card too so people like that.

I did my chapstick differently this year though, I followed a pattern using the dress die from SU - and you make this little box that the chapstick goes in and the dress goes on the front and back of the box. They are really cute and I sold a few of them.

I did nugget jars too made with the jar die and stamp set from SU. Those were kind of a pain to do and I don't think I'm making them again next year. But I sold a few of them too.

I also had actual jars that I picked up a few years ago from Michael's in the wedding section (small and larger ones) that sold very well.

I didn't take pictures but I will when I repack and post them in my gallery. Nothign that we haven't seen before, but its my take on things.

I have three more sales to do and i'm going to make some cards for those sales. Not many, but I'm going to try cards at the next one.

And the Hershey trees too that were mentioned earlier. Those are so cute.

And some type of bookmark. I always have bookmarks at my sales but I just ran out of time for this one. I had some left over from last year (but I didn't like them!) and I put them out and sold a couple.

Oh and those magnets. I was really on the fence on doing them but I did them (I think Diane convinced me). Dollar store glass, glue, and I just used SU designer paper. picked out pretty areas of the paper or maybe an image, so they were really quick, and cheap to do. The most expensive thing is the magnet on the back. Mine are small though, some are half an inch, some are maybe an inch or a bit bigger. I sell mine 3 for $2.00 and last year (these are again left overs!) sold a ton of them. I sold some more at this sale too. I made a billion of them I think! Kind of got carried away in doing them cause they were so fun and quick and cute. And I don't bag them, I let people pick what they want and mix/match (and some do take the small ones with the big ones). I put them on a metal tray (Dollar Store) up on a table picture frame holder thing (Dollar Store!). I have more that I did with one inch tiles I had bought before but I haven't even put those out yet. I think they will make an appearance at the next sale though. And even those are cheap to do.

Did anyone else have a sale this last weekend?
Glad your show went well. My first show is Nov.2. I'm almost ready or at least I thought I was until I checked out your gallery. Your work is great. I saw one item that I would like to add to my table. Your monster PP's are adorable. Would you mind sharing what you used to make the jagged circle? I keep saying I'm not adding more items because my card supply is very low....but......
Old 10-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #312
Pearl-ExPert

that's the scallop punch by SU BUT Halloween will be over by the time of your sale so making those for Nov 2nd sale probably wouldn't be a good idea?!

MY GALLERY
Old 10-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #313
Pearl-ExPert

I'm going to do these elf peppermint patties from this blog, December 9(?) 2009 posting. very cute. Her blog has tons of cute things on it.

Thoughts That Stick . : Christmas

MY GALLERY
DianeCraft likes this post.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #314
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Had my first sale on Saturday and I did very well. Very well for me is around $200. it was a small fair, not many vendors and only went fro 9-1.
I'm glad to help with inspiration for the glass magnets. I have started selling them in sets also but that makes them more labour intensive for sure.
I think your $ sales are great for 4 hrs!

My first show isn't until Nov. 2nd. I have 7 shows scheduled this year. Some overlap so my hubby is working for me those days. He is a good salesman and I often get special orders after the shows he does so he must tell people about that option.

I have been making like crazy all my treat items. I have some things posted on my facebook page but I usually post pics after Halloween passes.
I still have to do a couple hundred M&M sticks when the xmas ones arrive in stores.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #315
Inking Addict

Quote:
I'm going to do these elf peppermint patties from this blog, December 9(?) 2009 posting. very cute. Her blog has tons of cute things on it.

Thoughts That Stick . : Christmas

I have made mints each year for all my shows, and normally sell out. I don't do the punch art like these elves though! I just punch out scalloped circle punches for the front and back, and then stamp something that can be punched out with a round punch and layer that on top. I still use that retired SU set the most, I think it's called Deer Friends? Had multiple round images. I sell the mints for .25 each or 5 for $1.00. I normally sell quite a few, as they make good stocking stuffer or secret santa things, etc.!

Maria
Old 10-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #316
Gabfest Goddess

Has anyone found another brand of foil wrapped peppermint patties besides Pearson's, now that York's packaging is different? Pearson's are OK, just wondering if there's something better out there. I'm still mad at York!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #317
Pearl-ExPert

Diane - you WERE the inspiration for the magnets (and the key fobs too??) and I really was on the fence but they sold really well last year. I still have key fobs left over.

Oh and Sam's Club (if you have that where you are!) has the holiday M&M candies.

I visit your blog often - its very cute and you work is great!

Maria - I usually do my mints like that as well, sometimes designer paper, sometimes a stamped image (mostly stamped image). I think the Elf is adorable and I'm going to see just how long it takes to do them since I think I'm going to sell them individually this year instead of in a bag.

I bought these stamps from Peach Kleen Stamps that are just faces of snowmen (to do the little baby hugs with) and I'm going to see how they look on the mint. I cannot draw anything (even a snowman face!) and these images are really cute. They were cheap and I got them in about two days (how fast is that!). I actually forgot I even bought these mints and didn't do them for the first sale. Totally spaced them out.

MY GALLERY
MLH1966 likes this post.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #318
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancystamps View Post
Has anyone found another brand of foil wrapped peppermint patties besides Pearson's, now that York's packaging is different? Pearson's are OK, just wondering if there's something better out there. I'm still mad at York!
No, I haven't. I am still mad at York too! I use the Pearson's, but am curious to know if there are others too?

Maria
Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #319
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post
Want a laugh?

LOL thanks for the laugh Carole!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #320
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I use those small frames now for my prices and they work really well. They stay up! and are easy to read.
I'm going to try them this time. Do you know of any place other than Walmart where I can get them?