Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree524Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #201
Die Cut Diva

A STRAW!! Great tip. Of course I just made about 20 of these last night, but next time for sure LOL
Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #202
Glitter Guru

Send a message via AIM to kspiv

You can also use Sixlets instead of M&Ms. Sixlets are round, so they are much easier to put in a cello bag or the test tubes. Also, Sixlets are gluten-free, nut-free and made in a facility that is gluten and nut free so they are great for people who may have allergies. I tend to use Sixlets for these reasons. Not to mention, they are cheaper than M&Ms. I did test tubes of red, white and green Sixlets and used my JoAnns 40% off coupon to buy the bags.
doorknocker3 likes this post.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #203
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookskaren View Post
It is a very cute snowman! In the past, I have filled mine stacked, rather than flat like this. It takes about 20-24 M&M's to stack them, and there are 12 in this bag, so it would also be more cost effective to slide them in sideways. I agree that it would also be easier most likely. I have to use a straw to do the first few when I stack them, then I can usually slip the others on top.
I thought her candies were ball shaped (sixlets or gumballs maybe?).
It M&Ms were stacked this way, I don't think they would stay that way when standing up.
Maybe they are M&Ms?!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #204
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
You can also use Sixlets instead of M&Ms. Sixlets are round, so they are much easier to put in a cello bag or the test tubes. Also, Sixlets are gluten-free, nut-free and made in a facility that is gluten and nut free so they are great for people who may have allergies. I tend to use Sixlets for these reasons. Not to mention, they are cheaper than M&Ms. I did test tubes of red, white and green Sixlets and used my JoAnns 40% off coupon to buy the bags.
I wish Sixlets were cheaper her in WA stores. Joanns has them $5.99 regular price. With coupon, they are still not cheaper than the $2.50 M&M bags.
Are the bags bigger than M&Ms?

I sell mine for $1. I have tried pricing higher but people don't buy them.
What do others sell for?
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #205
Glitter Guru

I guess I just got into using the Sixlets because M&Ms wouldn't fit in the test tubes I had ordered a few years ago but Sixlets would! Yeah, I use my 50% off coupons for them but still that isn't cheaper than a $2.50 bag of M&Ms.

I sell my test tubes for $1.50 or 4 for $5 but was going to do $1 treats this year and include them in that. I just used simple tags on the test tubes....stickers with a small scallop cardstock circle and some bakers twine, so I didn't do stamping or punch art. That kinda stuff always ups my price. 12 Sixlets fits in the test tubes so I think $1 is a fair price, but no one balked at $1.50 or 4 for $5 so I am still considering that route. I just have a lot of test tubes left and wanted to get rid of some so I was thinking of doing them for $1.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #206
Creative Crew SU Design Team

I just saw the cutest thing! Take a look
Tootsie Pop Stand Up Pumpkin Video Tutorial - Jill Stamps

These are just tooooo cute!!
My craft show is Dec 6-7 can you think of a Christmas shape that would work similar to this?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #207
Matboard Maniac

The largest of the SU ornament framelits might work for something like that.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #208
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I wish Sixlets were cheaper her in WA stores. Joanns has them $5.99 regular price. With coupon, they are still not cheaper than the $2.50 M&M bags.
Are the bags bigger than M&Ms?

I sell mine for $1. I have tried pricing higher but people don't buy them.
What do others sell for?
I sell mine for $1.50 each or 3/$4. Most people buy at least 3. I try to have a variety of candy items at that price so they can mix and match
peggymcc likes this post.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #209
Matboard Maniac

Diane, the blog with the snowman (Sarah) posted that she used M&M's as she was describing the treat. That is how I knew they were M&M's.
I'm glad to know that Sixlets are nut free since so many places no longer allow nuts (except the people kind). We do not have a JoAnn's here, but I have seen them in stores around holiday time. They seem to be cheaper than M&M's overall, but I personally do not like them.
Hope everyone has a great craft fair season this year. None for me this time...caring for a sick mom. I'm tucking these ideas away for next year, though!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #210
Matboard Maniac

kspv, where do you find test tubes so cheap that you can sell them with candy for $1? I haven't seen them in the craft stores here (except the Martha Stewart ones that are pretty pricey).
Old 10-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #211
Die Cut Diva

brookskaren, I was thinking the same thing. Even with I went in with others at a bulk price they were still expensive to sell for only $1.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #212
Pearl-ExPert

I thought the same thing with the snowman MM project, that they would fall down if you picked up the bag with them lined up like that. She does say M&M is what she used, some are bigger (the pretzel and nut ones). It is cute though.

For the sixlets, I've only seen them in the little individual bags and mostly looking like Halloween (or maybe Christmas). Does Joanne's sell them like that or can you find them in a bag like how M&M's come?

I totally forgot I had test tubes at home. Yikes! Another project!

I'm going to try to do my MM bags a bit different this year too. I found some fairly easy elf pants and santa pants where its just the pants and legs (pants I think used the SU top note die). and then you cut out some shoes.

But I haven't seen any Christmas M&Ms anywhere. I need Christmas colored kisses too. Have any of you seen them in any stores??

MY GALLERY
Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #213
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie1031 View Post
Thanks you so much! I knew I had seen that somewhere & couldn't remember where! I have the peg board, yay.
Do you mind my asking, how you attached it to your table?
We got some L-shaped brackets and screwed them to the front and the back, at the corner and the middle. Does that make sense?
cookie1031 likes this post.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #214
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayLynnT View Post
The largest of the SU ornament framelits might work for something like that.
I'll try it thanks!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #215
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I sell my test tubes for $1.50 or 4 for $5 but was going to do $1 treats this year and include them in that. I just used simple tags on the test tubes....stickers with a small scallop cardstock circle and some bakers twine, so I didn't do stamping or punch art. That kinda stuff always ups my price. 12 Sixlets fits in the test tubes so I think $1 is a fair price, but no one balked at $1.50 or 4 for $5 so I am still considering that route. I just have a lot of test tubes left and wanted to get rid of some so I was thinking of doing them for $1.
How much were your test tubes to buy? I have some of the plastic ones and they ended up costing 60cents each so I am finding it hard to fill them with candy and still sell at a reasonable price.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #216
Insane Embellisher

Last year, someone asked me for my Template that was used for my Candy Sleighs. I finally found it again!
You can cut 4 of these from 12x12 sheet or 2 for 8 1/2x11 sheet.
Here it is:
Candy Cane Sleigh
sc magnolia likes this post.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #217
Insane Embellisher

Came across this great site with tutorials:
Debbie's Designs: Free Tutorials, Tips, Techniques
mrussom, doorknocker3 and sc magnolia like this post.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #218
Glitter Guru

Well....the test tubes are a whole 'nother story. I saw the adorable test tubes on Kerry's Papercrafts about her craft fair shows a few years ago....so I ordered from the same place but got the white plastic caps and not the cork. They were cheaper. So I ordered 1000 test tubes....YIKES, I know. =)
A friend bought some and I have sold smaller amounts to others to help make some money back but they ended up costing me around 12 cents each. That's how I can sell them for $1.50 or 4 for $5. the $1 would be a new thing this year, if I go that route. I figured with the test tube, candy and tags, I have about 25-30 cents, at the most, in each of them.
These test tubes are not the same as the martha stewart ones...these are much smaller in diameter so they take less candy to fill them. Like I said 12-13 Sixlets fit in them. M&Ms wont fit because they are not round. I am sure other small round candies might fit in them, like Lemonheads or things like that. This was the main reason I used Sixlets vs. M&Ms....M&Ms wouldnt fit.
Yes, Party City, JoAnns, Walmart, and probably other places, sell Sixlets by the bag in single colors. I usually go to JoAnns because i can use my 40 or 50% off coupon for them. You can also order them online, although I hate to do that and pay shipping!! I'm cheap that way...LOL
That's why I havent yet ordered any of those Bogdon chocolate dipped peppermint sticks....shipping is too expensive!

Last edited by kspiv; 10-10-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Old 10-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #219
Matboard Maniac

How much are people charging for the tootsie pops? I bought a bag of 50 each & haven't decided what to charge yet.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #220
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
How much are people charging for the tootsie pops? I bought a bag of 50 each & haven't decided what to charge yet.

wondering the same thing.....going to make some up this weekend
Old 10-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #221
Glitter Guru

I haven't made the tootsie pops but I thought I read that someone said they sold theirs for 50 cents each.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #222
Die Cut Diva

I'm selling my tootsie pops for $2 each or 3 for $5. I make other decorated treats and all are $2 each or mix and match 3 for $5.
buggainok, cookie1031, deansgal and 1 others like this post.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #223
Insane Embellisher

Chiming in once again about bulk food stores. In Canada we have these stores where you can purchase all kinds of baking and candy etc in bulk. They usually carry red and green ones for christmas as well as things wrapped for Haunaka (sp?)... Silver and blue.
I don't know if you have them in the U.S. I always use the cello bags for this type of thing,this year I was looking for the Halloween coloured ones I have used in the past .I did not find any so I am sure that now because I went a different route I will find them. I usually pick these things up any time over the year as they keep. In fact I picked up a big bag of round cherry candy for either Rudolph Spares or Reindeer Noses a few months ago.The little ones are happy with these as they are not concerned about what is selling At craft sales, they just want to rip into the candy KWIM.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #224
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I haven't made the tootsie pops but I thought I read that someone said they sold theirs for 50 cents each.
I think I was the one who said 50 cents, but my craft fair was in 2009, and the ones I made were not as cute or as elaborate as the ones that Doorknocker has made.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
kspiv and cookie1031 like this post.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #225
Gabfest Goddess

I buy sixlets and chocolate mint lentils in bulk from Bulk Nuts ? Bulk Candy, Chocolate & Kosher Gift Baskets ? Oh! NutsŪ. They are a kosher candy and nut company in New York. Shipping is quick, and you will get few, if any, broken candies. There's usually a coupon code you can use as well. I highly recommend them.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #226
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Yes, Party City, JoAnns, Walmart, and probably other places, sell Sixlets by the bag in single colors. I usually go to JoAnns because i can use my 40 or 50% off coupon for them. You can also order them online, although I hate to do that and pay shipping!! I'm cheap that way...LOL
That's why I havent yet ordered any of those Bogdon chocolate dipped peppermint sticks....shipping is too expensive!
I am with you on that. By the time September comes, I usually have everything I need for shows. And I refuse to pay shipping unless the item is wayyy cheaper or a specialty item. The Bogdons dipped sticks are one of those things I did pay for shipping. I bought 2 tubs and attached them to my hot chocolate packs last year. People LOVED them, especially because you cannot find them locally.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #227
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I will probably charge $1 to $1.50. These are for the larger size tootsie pops.
I try to keep it affordable and never more than I would pay myself.

Still considering what design to use. Does anyone have a tutorial? Or dimensions?
I am wondering how to tie it closed and have the holder stay in place?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #228
Pearl-ExPert

FYI on the acrylic frames - I bought 5x7 from Walmart to make my desk things (calendar, post it note, pen, clip). got most of them done and then realized there is a film on them to take off before you use them. I really don't remember that from the other years I used these. So I had to take them apart and take off the film, and remake them. So if you buy these, check for the film. Who knew!?? Not me.

MY GALLERY
kspiv likes this post.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #229
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I will probably charge $1 to $1.50. These are for the larger size tootsie pops.
I try to keep it affordable and never more than I would pay myself.

Still considering what design to use. Does anyone have a tutorial? Or dimensions?
I am wondering how to tie it closed and have the holder stay in place?
Here is a link to the Tootsie Pop holders that Doorknocker made, with pictures and directions. I think they are the cutest ones I've seen:

Crafts in the Command Center: What's Poppin'?

DianeCraft, doorknocker3 and deansgal like this post.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #230
Rubber Obsessor

Default Oh Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancystamps View Post
I buy sixlets and chocolate mint lentils in bulk from Bulk Nuts ? Bulk Candy, Chocolate & Kosher Gift Baskets ? Oh! NutsŪ. They are a kosher candy and nut company in New York. Shipping is quick, and you will get few, if any, broken candies. There's usually a coupon code you can use as well. I highly recommend them.
Thanks for sharing this website. I found soooooo many things and got soooooo many ideas. However.......they will have to wait for next year....because I am not not not not starting another project for this Christmas! I think!
nancystamps likes this post.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #231
Pearl-ExPert

Default mini composition books

Has anyone found the mini composition books anywhere lately? I checked Staples and Target (my standard sources) but didn't find them
Old 10-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #232
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by smriti View Post
Has anyone found the mini composition books anywhere lately? I checked Staples and Target (my standard sources) but didn't find them
Haven't looked there lately, but Walgreen Drug usually has them, sometimes on sale.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #233
Rubber Obsessor

Default Mini Comp Books

Quote:
Check Walmart.....I bought mine there last year.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #234
Die Cut Diva

Ladies, I had my All Handcrafters Holiday Boutique on Saturday. It went really well. I sold the tootsie pop holders for $2 each or 3 for $5. I didn't sell all of them, but I sold most of them.

I'll be posting photos soon on my blog but I had a really busy weekend and I may not do anything tonight but rest.
mrussom, jennscraft, kspiv and 1 others like this post.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #235
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker3 View Post
Ladies, I had my All Handcrafters Holiday Boutique on Saturday. It went really well. I sold the tootsie pop holders for $2 each or 3 for $5. I didn't sell all of them, but I sold most of them.

I'll be posting photos soon on my blog but I had a really busy weekend and I may not do anything tonight but rest.
Congrats!!! They looked really awesome in your pics you posred earlier. I think that was a great price fpr them.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #236
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Knox and Bugga! I'll check these places!

doorknocker3 - congratulations on your good sale! It always feels so good to when your efforts pay off
doorknocker3 likes this post.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #237
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I haven't seen them for quite a while. This is one item I stock up for throughout the year. I was able to get them at the Dollar store but they don't have them now.

I just finished 100 of these books. Pics are on my Facebook page.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #238
Pearl-ExPert

Congrats on the sales Doorknocker3.

The Dollar Stores sometimes have little comp books too, in a three pack I think, but they aren't as nice as the ones WalMart/Walgreens and other stores sell. They are usually on sale around the time school starts. Hope you can find a good deal on them.

Michael's sometimes have those nice little notebooks with a pen attached in their dollar spot, and on clearance in their dollar spot so look there too if you have one near you.

Or you can be like me, open a random cabinet door at home and find a ton of the big and small comp notebooks and then just close the door and back slowly away. I must have bought a ton one year when they were on sale and clearance. Its a crazy amount that I found.

My first sale is this Saturday. I'm about ready for it, just need to do the Hershey snowmen, big and small and then I found a cute Turkey and Elf candy leg projects to do. Working on the Elf at work today, cutting out the shoes, and hopefully I can get them done tonight. I'll be punching for the turkey when I do my laundry this week. Every spare moment seems to be filled with punching/coloring or cutting these days.
My crafting area is a huge mess right now (which is the living room). Sunday after the sale I plan on doing some sort of cleaning in the house!

MY GALLERY
Old 10-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #239
Glitter Queen

Default Chocolate Covered Peppermint Sticks

Does anyone know where these can be found? I have checked all places online with no luck.
Thanks.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #240
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
Or you can be like me, open a random cabinet door at home and find a ton of the big and small comp notebooks and then just close the door and back slowly away. I must have bought a ton one year when they were on sale and clearance. Its a crazy amount that I found.
LOL! Lucky you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
My crafting area is a huge mess right now (which is the living room). Sunday after the sale I plan on doing some sort of cleaning in the house!
My table is a mess too! The worst part is I find it very hard to be creative when my table is like that. So before I start a project I need to clean it up and after every project it's back to where it was
mrussom likes this post.