Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 10:10 PM   #161
Insane Embellisher

I spent yesterday and today doing up sets of mini glass pebble magnets. I have 66 sets of 6 completed. Well, just the glued paper part. Still have to cut around them all, add magnets and package them.
I know the paper cutting will have to be split up among the next week because I always get scissor cramping and finger pain. lol

My fingers hurt though. Does anyone else have crafting pain the day after a marathon crafting session?

I never take pics of my magnet sets for my web or facebook page. Only those who come to my live events usually see them. I think I will change that pattern this time.
Sometimes, the photographing is the hardest part!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #162
Kookie Creator

I've been working on Craft Show items.....I just posted pictures in my gallery...check them out!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #163
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansgal View Post
I've been working on Craft Show items.....I just posted pictures in my gallery...check them out!

Very cute items, love the sock/cupcake idea.

MY GALLERY
Old 08-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #164
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeCraft View Post
I spent yesterday and today doing up sets of mini glass pebble magnets. I have 66 sets of 6 completed. Well, just the glued paper part. Still have to cut around them all, add magnets and package them.
I know the paper cutting will have to be split up among the next week because I always get scissor cramping and finger pain. lol

My fingers hurt though. Does anyone else have crafting pain the day after a marathon crafting session?

I never take pics of my magnet sets for my web or facebook page. Only those who come to my live events usually see them. I think I will change that pattern this time.
Sometimes, the photographing is the hardest part!!
1) I find that taking pics in natural light works best. I take pics with flash and no flash but usually the no-flash ones are best because they aren't so washed out. 2) I also use a contrasting color for my background. Usually 2 pieces of white or black card stock will do the trick - one stands upright and the other is on the table flat. 3) Shoot your pics in MACRO setting which is the little tulip usually. It allows you to take your pics close up and they are still very clear. I've just started doing these things and I've been getting so much better pics! But I hate when I finish a project at night and want to get it on my blog...I have to learn to be patient!

As for sharing your pics in advance I find it helps build excitement in what you have to offer - whether it's an upcoming class/workshop or a vendor fair.

Good luck!

Old 08-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #165
Embossing Fanatic

Default Clear envelopes with cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by smriti View Post
After I finish a card I immediately put it in a clear envelope to avoid the oil from fingers spoiling it and that's also how they go to my shows.
I also use clear envelopes or jackets for all my cards. They only cost me $0.05 extra per card and it's worth it with all the fingers touching them!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #166
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaKaren View Post
I agree that height is important. When I have to provide my own table, I always raise it as high as possible. I have thought of using risers (like what you use to raise your bed), but have always been afraid the table might not be stable. Anyway, I take a nice wooden easel to hold a large sign with big writing. I usually decorate it (garland for Christmas) and this seems to attract a lot of people. I try to place it facing the entrance. Stacked boxes work wonders for displaying items. The closer to eye level the better.
I put all my tables on risers and have never had a problem.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #167
Rubber Obsessor

subbing
Old 08-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #168
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyscrapmom View Post
1) I find that taking pics in natural light works best. I take pics with flash and no flash but usually the no-flash ones are best because they aren't so washed out. 2) I also use a contrasting color for my background. Usually 2 pieces of white or black card stock will do the trick - one stands upright and the other is on the table flat. 3) Shoot your pics in MACRO setting which is the little tulip usually. It allows you to take your pics close up and they are still very clear. I've just started doing these things and I've been getting so much better pics! But I hate when I finish a project at night and want to get it on my blog...I have to learn to be patient!

As for sharing your pics in advance I find it helps build excitement in what you have to offer - whether it's an upcoming class/workshop or a vendor fair.

Good luck!
Yes. Natural light is best and I use the same settings you recommend. Lately, I have been bringing the items out onto my porch once the direct sunlight is not there. The direct sun is too bright but diffused sunlight is good.

I am also impatient! I finidh an item at night, and want to take pics right away, but have to wait for the right lighting outside. Then, you have to upload them to the computer before upoading them to your web page. Now I know why bigger companies pay people devoted to do this kind of stuff!
Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #169
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinjp70 View Post
I've always used dye inks and I haven't found any difference in using one side or the other of the waxed paper.

I did discover that when stamping tealights to make sure the hole around the wick is large enough or it may catch fire...fortunately I was testing them outside so it was ok....but I decided to not sell any of those last year...probably I will do pillars this year instead.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #170
Insane Embellisher

I have posted some new pics of my pendant tiles and some paper purses on my Facebook page.
Have a look.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #171
Creative Crew SU Design Team

Quote:
I also use clear envelopes or jackets for all my cards. They only cost me $0.05 extra per card and it's worth it with all the fingers touching them!
Where do you get your clear envelopes for that price?

SU sells some clear ones but they are not big enough for the card and its paper envelope.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc magnolia View Post

SU sells some clear ones but they are not big enough for the card and its paper envelope.
Never mind, Y'all already told me this. I am NOT awake yet!!! Sorry
Old 08-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #173
Embossing Fanatic

I got mine from a bulk buy group. After the the shipping the cost is about the same as the SU ones - which as you have already remembered do fit a standard A2 card and envelope. (Which also makes me a little sad - I bought a tabletop spinner card rack for my cards from a business that was closing out and they fit perfectly! But once I include the envelopes....they don't fit so well. I really don't want to have to remember to hand them an envelope if they purchase cards, plus I often will decorate the envelope too! Oh well....now to look for another style!)

Old 08-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #174

Quote:
I got mine from a bulk buy group. After the the shipping the cost is about the same as the SU ones - which as you have already remembered do fit a standard A2 card and envelope. (Which also makes me a little sad - I bought a tabletop spinner card rack for my cards from a business that was closing out and they fit perfectly! But once I include the envelopes....they don't fit so well. I really don't want to have to remember to hand them an envelope if they purchase cards, plus I often will decorate the envelope too! Oh well....now to look for another style!)
A few posts back a couple people told me of Amber Shaw. She sells them that fit the card and the envy.
buy clear enys here: Envelopes -
100 for 8.00 4-5/8" x 5-3/4"
100 for 9.00 5 7/16" x 7.25" Fits your 5 x 7 Cards and Envelopes.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #175
Insane Embellisher

I buy mine from Clearbags. I usually buy the 1000 because I use them to package many of my craft items. They last about 2 years (kind of like my own bulk buy!). They don't take up much space.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #176
Insane Embellisher

I know this question isn't really about craft shows, but I was trying to upload pics recently and it said they were too large.

Anyone know how to resize pics for uploading after they have been downloaded from camera to the computer??
Old 08-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #177

Quote:
I know this question isn't really about craft shows, but I was trying to upload pics recently and it said they were too large.

Anyone know how to resize pics for uploading after they have been downloaded from camera to the computer??
I use Photoshop, but I'm pretty sure there are some free photo editing software programs available online. You could try a Google search.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:29 AM   #178
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I use the SU clear envelopes with the adhesive tabs as the actual envelope that I mail them in. They are ok to use with the postal service as long as the postage is stuck on the outside of the envelope. When giving as a card to a personal friend, I still use the clear envelopes so everyone can see the card (and then place an order ) When I mail a card in the clear envelopes, I use cardstock and make a matching address card insert into the back of the envelope. No added expense of having to have an envelope plus the clear envelope.
Life's A Beach Swap Red, White & Blue Swap Celebrate Summer Swap
Fingerlakes Get Together It's All Good Duck Tape Challenge Swap
Caffeinated Swap Favorite "Feel Good" Movie Card & Tags
Camping In The Forest Swap Summer WS/PB Swap
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #179
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I use Windows Live Photo Gallery - it has a resize option. If you use Picasa then that too lets you resize. In most of the softwares, select the image then go to Files --> Export. It will ask you for the size. I generally use 1000 pixels.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilling_Queen View Post
I use the SU clear envelopes with the adhesive tabs as the actual envelope that I mail them in. They are ok to use with the postal service as long as the postage is stuck on the outside of the envelope. When giving as a card to a personal friend, I still use the clear envelopes so everyone can see the card (and then place an order ) When I mail a card in the clear envelopes, I use cardstock and make a matching address card insert into the back of the envelope. No added expense of having to have an envelope plus the clear envelope.
I used to always use the clear envys to mail cards in. Then when I started selling them at the art center people didn't know that you could mail in those envelopes. I decided that for me, it was just easier to use both.

You know what I figured out today??? Hobby Lobby sells the 4 1/4 by 5 1/2 size white envelopes 25 for 4.99. With a 40% off coupon that is 3.00 so that's 12 cents an envy. SU sells 40 envys for 6.50 - but with my demo discount, that equals out to 13 cents a piece. I gotta remember that!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #181
Crimping Master

Hello everyone! I finally got through the whole thread, and I've enjoyed reading about what everyone is making. **waves to Carole**

I just signed up to vend at a Fall Festival at our local Elem. School. The fee is only $15, and if I don't sell a thing, I'm supporting the school and it's a fun event. I have lots of cards made, but that's about it. The school also has a Lunch with Santa in December and a spring festival in May. You gals have inspired me to try some new things...now I need to get motivated to make them!!!

Pam
Old 09-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #182
Pearl-ExPert

Default Grinch Pills

Where do most people get their tic tac green apple (for grinch pills) from? The white ones I get from Costco but unfortunately they don't have any other color and from all the other stores looks like it costs $1 per pack. I was wondering if there's another source.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #183
Pearl-ExPert

I got some from Sam's last year (white not green though) but they were still about $1 a pack.

MY GALLERY
Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #184
Pearl-ExPert

Mary, if you get it for a $1 then how much do you sell it for?
At Costco I believe the 12 pack is for $9.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #185
Pearl-ExPert

I only did them one year. Snowman themed. I'm sure one is in my gallery. But I think I sold them for $2.50. My friend, who really wanted me to make them for the sale, bought most of them. I won't do them again since they are so expensive and people thought they were cute but didn't want to spend that.

MY GALLERY
Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
I only did them one year. Snowman themed. I'm sure one is in my gallery. But I think I sold them for $2.50. My friend, who really wanted me to make them for the sale, bought most of them. I won't do them again since they are so expensive and people thought they were cute but didn't want to spend that.
Now you've got me thinking... why do we have to use tic tacs? We cold use some other green candy... green jelly beans, or green m&m's. What do you think?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #187
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Now you've got me thinking... why do we have to use tic tacs? We cold use some other green candy... green jelly beans, or green m&m's. What do you think?
That's a great idea!
I liked tic tac because they were packed and I didn't have to worry about whether I was allowed to sell manually packed food or not.
Can you think of any other candy that comes packaged?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #188
Insane Embellisher

I also have only been able to find the white tic tacs at Costco. They work out to about 75cents each for the candy. I have been able to sell them for $4 or 2/$7. When my product has to be more expensive, I try to add some bling to make it seem worth more... even glitter glue helps with that. I also package them indivdidually in clear bags so they look good.

Last year, I separated the green and red M&Ms and sold them in the 1x8 bags as Grinch Pills and Reindeer noses. The grinch pills always sell out first!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #189

Quote:
I also have only been able to find the white tic tacs at Costco. They work out to about 75cents each for the candy. I have been able to sell them for $4 or 2/$7. When my product has to be more expensive, I try to add some bling to make it seem worth more... even glitter glue helps with that. I also package them indivdidually in clear bags so they look good.

Last year, I separated the green and red M&Ms and sold them in the 1x8 bags as Grinch Pills and Reindeer noses. The grinch pills always sell out first!
Reindeer noses!!! That's a great idea!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS
Old 09-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #190
Pearl-ExPert

I only did the Tic Tacs to make that cute little project - snowman on front, punch out in stomach so the Tic Tacs showed through - and again my friend wanted them so I made them. I have done the grinch pills with green m&m's, skittles, and that's what I will stick too this year too. I saw Reindeer Noses with 8 whoppers (or whopper type candy) with one red candy (which might have been a red hot ball?) I thought that was cute, if I can find the red ball thingy.

MY GALLERY
Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #191
Pearl-ExPert

Default Color printouts

I'm having a ball making hats for snowman popcorn wrappers!

For those taking color printouts (for example - the snowman candy bar/popcorn wrapper), do you take them at home or in a store? I only have a b/w printer and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for getting them done at a reasonable cost in-store/online?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #192
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smriti View Post
I'm having a ball making hats for snowman popcorn wrappers!

For those taking color printouts (for example - the snowman candy bar/popcorn wrapper), do you take them at home or in a store? I only have a b/w printer and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for getting them done at a reasonable cost in-store/online?
I made these last year and they were a popular item! I think I had several of the images on a sheet so I could only have to print 1 page and have like 6 or 8 snowmen. Locally my staples charges $0.59/page for a one sided color copy and if you take in your own paper/cardstock it is $0.49/page. I think you can even get them cheaper if you place your order online and have it shipped to you, however I only made 10-12 last year and I just printed them at home on cardstock. I just purchased an HP PhotoPrinter at Best Buy for $69 and it's great - and takes the 4 individual color cartridges to reduce the cartridge waste. Each cartridge is $10 and I just replaced my black yesterday after 2-3 months. I print almost daily. I saw they had a similar model for only $49 - so it may be worth the investment for you!

Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 AM   #193
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the info Carolyn!

I think I would only be able to fit one image per page, since I'm making popcorn wrappers. So I was hoping to find some place that could print within 25 cents per page. If printing comes out too expensive, I'm wondering if I should get one of the peachy keen faces stamp set:
PK-020 Snow Flakey: Peachy Keen Stamps :: Clear Photopolymer Stamps for Scrapbooking, Cardmaking and More!
World's Largest Selection of CLEAR FACE STAMPS! Peachy Keen Stamps by Kathy and Dave Jakopovich
PK-545 Snow Medium Faces 7/8" and 1": Peachy Keen Stamps :: Clear Photopolymer Stamps for Scrapbooking, Cardmaking and More!
Anybody has any input on them?

I have a laser printer that takes up a lot of space so unfortunately I don't have space for another printer.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #194
FiP
Matboard Maniac

I'm reading this quickly before I go out, so sorry if I'm on the wrong track. (I'm looking specifically at the snowman chocolate wrapper) If you print the images in black and white, could you use chalks to colour his cheeks and cut out a little orange card in a triangle for his nose? It may be more effort than it's worth, but you wouldn't need to print in colour...
Old 09-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #195
Pearl-ExPert

I took the color out of the image and will print it off in black and white. I never use my printer except for craft sale time, and really only for these. Last year I bought new cartridges and when you don't use them regularly, they go dry, or at least on my printer won't work. And now its not working at all and I havent figured out why and just can't justify buying one or even buying ink. So I'm going to try it with the no color that I did and just color it in with inks or markers or chalks or whatever. I just played with it on my computer until I could get the color out enough. Printing in black and white only didn't really work because the 'color' was still there but it came out black. So when I colored it in it just didn't look right, too black under it.

MY GALLERY
Old 09-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #196
FiP
Matboard Maniac

ah yes, of course! It would still print his cheeks in black, wouldn't it. Hmm, ok, scratch my ill-placed advice!!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #197

I love the whole snowman soup thing, but I saw the cutest idea using a facsimile of a Campbell's soup can. Soooo I went to work on Print Shop, made my label and began production. If anyone is interested, I have the label on my website.

snowmanheaven.jpg

I've been nervous about the big juried craft show, thinking that we would not be accepted. We gave them our websites as requested, but I wondered if they would really want to wade all through the posts to see what we make. So I grabbed a bunch of pictures and put them on a separate page on my blog that is titled Craft Show Items. I hope that makes it easier for them to see stuff quickly. Cross your fingers for us!! I really want to do this show sooooo badly!!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #198
Pearl-ExPert

Your items are GREAT! I'm sure you pass whatever criteria they use. I have never joined a juried show, one sale I looked at this year was juried (for the nonmembers of their church) but I didn't do it, wasn't brave enough. Maybe next year, maybe.

I liked the calendar/card (I think thats a card then?). An easel card? I was thinking of making some of them for my sale too. Do you market them as a card then with an envelope and all? And people would then give them as a card, writing on the inside? Its a very cute idea.

the one I was looking to do was not really a card, but more a desk thing, the calendar was on it and then on the bottom was a post it pad. But the ones I saw didn't really give dimensions. It was one of those things that I was going to 'figure out' one of these days. HMMMM

MY GALLERY
Old 09-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussom View Post
Your items are GREAT! I'm sure you pass whatever criteria they use. I have never joined a juried show, one sale I looked at this year was juried (for the nonmembers of their church) but I didn't do it, wasn't brave enough. Maybe next year, maybe.

I liked the calendar/card (I think thats a card then?). An easel card? I was thinking of making some of them for my sale too. Do you market them as a card then with an envelope and all? And people would then give them as a card, writing on the inside? Its a very cute idea.

the one I was looking to do was not really a card, but more a desk thing, the calendar was on it and then on the bottom was a post it pad. But the ones I saw didn't really give dimensions. It was one of those things that I was going to 'figure out' one of these days. HMMMM
I am now!! thanks for the great idea!!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #200
Crimping Master

Quote:
I love the whole snowman soup thing, but I saw the cutest idea using a facsimile of a Campbell's soup can. Soooo I went to work on Print Shop, made my label and began production. If anyone is interested, I have the label on my website.

Attachment 257463

I've been nervous about the big juried craft show, thinking that we would not be accepted. We gave them our websites as requested, but I wondered if they would really want to wade all through the posts to see what we make. So I grabbed a bunch of pictures and put them on a separate page on my blog that is titled Craft Show Items. I hope that makes it easier for them to see stuff quickly. Cross your fingers for us!! I really want to do this show sooooo badly!!!!
I love this Carole!!! You're very creative. I hope you get accepted into the juried show....you deserve it!