Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modge podge

not sure if this really fits??? what is your trick for using modge podge? everytime I use it the paper gets all wrinkled and bubbles, I have tried everything I can think of, it seems like as soon as it hits the paper it starts curling up.....:(
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I use it a lot for covering notebooks. I brush the modpodge onto the cover NOT TOO THICK then put the paper on and then use a brayer to get rid of any air pockets. Sometimes there might be the odd small wrinkle or bubble but I find they disappear when the project dries (or that is where a well placed embellishment goes ;-) )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Use THIN coats, and let it dry COMPLETELY before trying to apply it again as a sealer coat. The different drying rates will wrinkle the paper -- just like when you're painting a wall and don't let the first coat dry before applying the second.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I like to apply a thin coat of Modge Podge and then place item on project and then use my bone file or Pampered Chef scraper to lay it on my project flat. This seems to get the air out between the layers. Apply another thin layer of glue after the first layer of glue has dried. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

ok so I just need to be more patient and wait for the glue to dry before I put the top coat on????
I am going to have to get the brayer that seems like a good idea.

thank you ladies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I just did projects here (no sealer coat) and here (sealer coat) with Mod Podge. I love that stuff! Make sure EVERYTHING is dry before you use it - ie if you watercolored, let it dry and flatten it out if need be first.

Apply the Mod Podge to whatever you are attaching your paper to in a thin coat, then apply and smooth down. I use a squeegee (Tsukineko makes it), you can also use a spatula to flatten/get air bubbles out.

Allow to dry, then add a sealer coat. I find Matte is more forgiving than the shiny....

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

these are good tips, I have wondered the same thing too. margie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

]I love the name plates Suzy I did some like that but on canvas I made them for xmas gifts. I really wanted to do the mod podge but I was not having any luck.

Last edited by Paper Maven; 01-14-2009 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: change picture
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Default Extreme dezines

Ok, I was introduced to modge podge 2 years ago and have used it often on my projects (I love to collage on anything I can get my hands on). My technique is pretty simple. Modge Podge your background, layer your paper/serviette/tissue over top and using a nice paintbrush, apply more modge podge to the top of your work carefully brushing outwards from the centre to flatten your work and remove airbubbles. Don't be shy when brushing over your work, do it lightly and carefully and the results are marvellous. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Mass Produced mod podge?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
I use it a lot for covering notebooks. I brush the modpodge onto the cover NOT TOO THICK then put the paper on and then use a brayer to get rid of any air pockets. Sometimes there might be the odd small wrinkle or bubble but I find they disappear when the project dries (or that is where a well placed embellishment goes ;-) )

I am so glad I found your post! We're (I) making 100 covered notebooks for an event - and I was wondering if mod podge would be the easiest way to attach the paper. Since you have the experience - what do you think?

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

100 notebooks? What do I think? I think you're nuts .. ;-)
But serioulsy folks!
MP would be the cheaper way. If durability of the books isn't a problem you could just use tape and NOT put the MP over top - that would be much quicker but the paper that you use may easily tear.

What else I've done, but this would get expensive for 100 books, is use the large Xyron and stick the paper down with that. No bubbles if you're careful, no drying time, can MP straight over but like I said .. expensive way to do it.

All the best with your project!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to make some decorations for our baby's nursery. I wondered about Modge Podge on a canvas...see what you think:

I am using images from a border (think wallpaper) and putting it on a painted canvas. I plan to put the border on dry (not using the glue that is on the back).
My DH suggested using spray adhesive to put the border/image onto the canvas. Do you think Modge Podge under and over the border would work? I don't want any bubbles or corners peeling.
Is that clear as mud? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Hi Indy_Patti, 100 notebooks requires a bit of MP. In our workshops, we collect milk bottle tops and fill these with MP so that there is no wastage. Ladies requiring more can help themselves. I would also suggest you also look at perhaps trying a good roll on glue or double sided tape in case your using thick paper to cover the notebooks. Keep your options open and trial a couple as samples using MP and other glues and tapes to choose the one which will work for you. Remember, MP is a good sealant too and will give you a nice gloss or matt gloss finish over top of your work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by ineedthatView Post
I want to make some decorations for our baby's nursery. I wondered about Modge Podge on a canvas...see what you think:

I am using images from a border (think wallpaper) and putting it on a painted canvas. I plan to put the border on dry (not using the glue that is on the back).
My DH suggested using spray adhesive to put the border/image onto the canvas. Do you think Modge Podge under and over the border would work? I don't want any bubbles or corners peeling.
Is that clear as mud? ;)
I do quite a lot of canvas work here as projects to inspire my artistic side and keep me out of trouble. I love collage and use a lot of MP on my work as the papers I incorporate into the canvas are lightweight and easy to work with. However, heavier papers require stronger adhesive and if you are using wallpaper it will need something more like a tacky glue, strong spray adhesive or Jac Paper (the later dependant on how big a canvas you are using). A good glaze or varnish over top of your work will seal it nicely and there shouldn't be a problem with bubbles. Let me know how you get on and good luck with your baby project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I tried Mod Podge for the first time a couple of months ago and my DP didn't stick to my cardboard surface very well. It was a large chipboard piece that was going to be cut out. But from reading this I think I must have needed to squeegie it down. Thanks for the tips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I've used MP quite a bit on different surfaces with success. I use a foam paint brush and brush on just enough to "wet" the paper but not soak it ,brushing from the center out. Be sure to cover all the paper surface evenly, like Havenblaize said, "don't be shy when brushing over your work." But I do think that I've had more success with the foam brush.
Reply With Quote Likes