Taylored Expressions just wouldn't be able to do without our fabulous and talented design team, the Baker's Dozen. Many of you have seen our designers' wonderful and creative work during our monthly product releases and we would love for you to get to know them better. Each month, we'll introduce you to one of our lovely team members who will share some of their favorite projects, lend some helpful tips, or just plain get their crafty groove on here in the Forum! So, stop by, say 'hi,' and get acquainted with one of the best design teams around.
My name is Sankari Wegman and I grew up in Baltimore, Maryland. I was born in Bangalore, India and came to the states when I was a young child. I have also lived in Indiana and Nebraska before settling in Iowa
I think I would say that my style is maybe whimsical - I love using bright colors and lots of bling and I also love to create outdoor scenes on cards.
When it comes to making projects, I never know how to start - so I usually either draw a sketch in a notebook or find a sketch online - that helps me figure out which sentiments or images to use. Once, I figure out the layout of the card, I look to the sentiment to give me ideas of the color. Sometimes, the sentiment brings certain color to mind - like for example if the sentiment is about sunshine, I try to find papers with some fun yellow patterns.
Other times, I like to start by cutting everything out to make a scene and then I have fun putting elements here are there and then rearranging it till it feels just right. It can be hard to find a place to start, but having a sketch or a color challenge can help get that mojo flowing
I love making cards! Along with card making, I love altering items that I find at garage sales (one of my favorite things to do on a saturday morning
I also love to create scrapbook pages but I have been behind scrapping pages of my family. Sometimes I wish I could just have a week of nothing but crafting - how wonderfully delicious that would be!
Outside of the craft room, I love doing yoga (my new favorite position is the Crow pose - I still don't quite have it, but each day I can feel myself getting stronger in it
I also love the bird of paradise pose and the tree pose) , photography (pictures of mostly my children) and I love to knit!
My favorite adhesive product at the TE store is the Best Glue Ever - it is all I use and I absolutely love the immediate stickiness and how quickly it dries! It really is the best glue ever!! LOL!!
I love all the label dies that TE has - they are so unique in there shape and are perfect for sentiments and images! My most favorite is the Banner Stacklets dies - its hard not to use it on every card !
I also love the perfect package card boxes at the TE store - they are perfect for gift boxes full of yummy treats , for creating card sets that you can give as gifts or for storing precious keepsakes.
Sankari was kind enough to share some fun and surprising fact about herself!
- my favorite color is green
- I meditated with Oprah when she came into our town
- I got engaged on the banks of the Ganges in India
- I love to do and choreograph Bollywood dancing
- I love to juice - my favorite combinations these days are a few oranges, 1 carrot, a bit of ginger and a beet for a burst of pink color
- I am scared of big insects and spiders - ewww!
- I love playing soccer - my husband and I used to both play goalie through high school and our favorite team is Brasil
- My least favorite fruit is papaya - eww - I just don't like how they taste - and my most favorite fruit are mangoes - yum!
- my favorite flowers are yellow roses
- my most favorite kind of birthday parties are breakfast birthdays - i love having a big breakfast with all my friends over in pajamas - no better way to start your birthday....
- I have 4 piercings (three earrings and one nose ring) and no tattoos
- I am a huge Johnny Depp fan - ever since I was 13
- I went to a Quaker middle and high school as well as a Quaker college
- I love the BBC's production of Pride and Prejudice -I can watch that forever and never feel bored
- I love Agatha Christie murder mysteries as well as all of the Sherlock Holmes novels- I can sit up through the night just to finish it
- I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy once a year
- My most favorite SciFi series was BattleStar Galactica - I love the character of Starbucks
- I have loved traveling to Switzerland, Kenya, China and India - would love to travel around the world
We LOVE sunny Sankari and we are so lucky to have her on our team. You can find more of Sankari's distinctive style here
on SCS (ID: sunnysankari), or discover her wonderful blog, Sankari's Sunshine Corner
or find her on Pinterest HERE
Now leave Sankari some love!