Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2006, 07:35 AM   #1
Gallery Gazer

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!
Send a message via MSN to emmiestamps
Lightbulb Support For Parents With Autistic Children

Hi, just wandering how many of us are out there thought it would be nice to get to know one another. I would like this to be a place where we can celebrate the all the accomplishments, milestones and be able to draw support and encouagement when we need it. We are blessed with some pretty amazing kids.

I will start I have 2 girls my youngest Megan is 9 years old, soon to be 10, she was diagnosed at just over 18 months of age. She received no service until she was 5, so we moved to a new area where they had more services. So at 5 she started speech at the health unit, then a few month later she started in the EIBI program ( Early intensive behavioral intervention) she continued this program until the age of 7 when she was cut off for funding due to age. After that we did very little for the next year adapted swimming, speech etc. Then her speech and language pathologist started her on the RDI program( Relationship Development Intervention) wow this has been awsome for her! She will continue this until she is more then likely an adult.

My other daughter Stephanie is 11 years old and is believed to be on the spectrum we are still awaiting proper diagnois for her, so she has not received as many services, although she has great language skills, witch sometimes helps and sometimes hurts.

As a parent I have had some of the proudest moments of my life watching these girls grow, not that I haven't been to some pretty dark places either.

So lets get to know one another! Who's next!
Diaries Of A Stamper
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:54 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

Wow. I am not a parent right now, but I do have sister with mild autism. I am also an assisstant in a life skills classroom that serves children with autism and am currently in a masters program to get my special educators license and degree. I would love to join this forum. I can answer MANY questions about student and parent rights, behavior management, IEPs, etc.
It is tough, and of course rewarding, to have a child with any exceptionality, but autism can vary so much and change from year to year that it is an especially tough one. Great idea for having a support forum.
Kira
Old 06-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
Gallery Gazer

Welcome Kira! Your input is very welcome and will be of great value to parents we don't always get an inside look.

I am quite lucky my daughters 2 aides are like family they have been so helpful, helping me to understand the workings of the school, before them I always felt out of the loop.

Both my girls are in a life skills program, what an important program! I'm so glad to have people like yourself to run these programs.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 06-23-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Location: I now live in Flin Flon, MB Waaaaaaaaaaaaay up north.
Send a message via MSN to mustardseed Send a message via Yahoo to mustardseed Send a message via Skype™ to mustardseed

I'm glad you did this. I have a son who is 91/2. He is Autistic. He's been living in Colorado with his dad for the past 2 years. We get him for summer and Christmas break. One more year of this and he will be able to live with us again. It's been so hard on me being separated from him!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiestamps
Hi, just wandering how many of us are out there thought it would be nice to get to know one another. I would like this to be a place where we can celebrate the all the accomplishments, milestones and be able to draw support and encouagement when we need it. We are blessed with some pretty amazing kids.

I will start I have 2 girls my youngest Megan is 9 years old, soon to be 10, she was diagnosed at just over 18 months of age. She received no service until she was 5, so we moved to a new area where they had more services. So at 5 she started speech at the health unit, then a few month later she started in the EIBI program ( Early intensive behavioral intervention) she continued this program until the age of 7 when she was cut off for funding due to age. After that we did very little for the next year adapted swimming, speech etc. Then her speech and language pathologist started her on the RDI program( Relationship Development Intervention) wow this has been awsome for her! She will continue this until she is more then likely an adult.

My other daughter Stephanie is 11 years old and is believed to be on the spectrum we are still awaiting proper diagnois for her, so she has not received as many services, although she has great language skills, witch sometimes helps and sometimes hurts.

As a parent I have had some of the proudest moments of my life watching these girls grow, not that I haven't been to some pretty dark places either.

So lets get to know one another! Who's next!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Gallery Gazer

Welcome to the group mustardseed! Wow, that would be hard, being seperated glad to hear you'll be back together soon. My daughter goes to see her father ( I remarried a wonderful man) only for a week in the summer, he can't handle her very well, he has never accepted the fact that she has autism. We have a great support system how about you is your family supportive?
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 06-24-2006, 04:54 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via MSN to mustardseed Send a message via Yahoo to mustardseed Send a message via Skype™ to mustardseed

Thanks I also married a wonderful man the 2nd time around.
No, not really. My mother and sibblings are mostly down in Texas so way too far away. Also I don't have much of a relationship with any of them. My DH's mother and his 2 younger sibblings live up here but thye are french speaking and his mother has some wierd hangups. But Josh is a really easy child for the most part. So I do OK. It's the separation from him that is really hard. I'm glad you don't have to be away from your daugther very much.

Quote:
Welcome to the group mustardseed! Wow, that would be hard, being seperated glad to hear you'll be back together soon. My daughter goes to see her father ( I remarried a wonderful man) only for a week in the summer, he can't handle her very well, he has never accepted the fact that she has autism. We have a great support system how about you is your family supportive?
Old 06-25-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Gallery Gazer

Bumping I know there is more of us out there.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 06-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to fiona

Yes you're right there are more of us! Hi I'm Fi from the UK and I have a nearly 7 year old son Joshua who has been diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD, hope that as its on the spectrum I can join your group too!

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 06-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
Pearl-ExPert

Yep, there ARE lot more.

Quote:
Bumping I know there is more of us out there.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

My son's name is Joshua too. I have an uncle who lives in the UK with his wife and kids. He went over there in the 70's to play professional basketball. I think the team is called the Sutton Stats. Anyway, he met a cute little English women, married her and there he stayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona
Yes you're right there are more of us! Hi I'm Fi from the UK and I have a nearly 7 year old son Joshua who has been diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD, hope that as its on the spectrum I can join your group too!
Old 06-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #11
Gallery Gazer

Welcome Fiona glad to have you join our group. Wow,what are the programs like over there in the uk my dad lives in South Yorkshire England where in the UK are you?
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 06-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #12
Kookie Creator

hello - my 16 year old son Nick just received a formal diagnosis last year - as we had always suspected he is on the spectrum and is considered to be Asperger's. he also has issues with ADHD, some OCD and anxiety -- his freshman year in high school started out horribly, but luckily he has a good counselor and with his IEP now in place things are going better. we still have encountered problems with some teachers who don't want to modify but i make sure that i stay on top of things. nick's been lucky to have some great teachers in past years, who still support him and me when needed. i truly appreciate their knowledge and emotional support.

the best advice i can give is be an advocate for your child. educate yourself and if you have to make noise, do it. don't worry that certain people won't like you, you're not looking for friends, you are trying to get the services your child needs. also, i am a big believer in as much early intervention as you can get. nick was in numerous programs from 3 years on - special needs preschool, speech therapy, occupational therapy. i think these programs pay benefits later on.

also, take time out and care for yourself - you have to feed your soul in order to be able to be take care of your children -- i think that's where stamping come in -- i think a lot of times we put ourselves too far down on the list of things to take care of -- remember, when you are rested and happy, everyone at home will be happier!

carol
Old 06-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #13
Gallery Gazer

Welcome Carol, thank you for sharing your story with us, and you are so right about advocating for you child we've always said "squeaky wheel gets the grease" and we do. A friend of mine has a son with the aspergers diagnois who enter grade 8 this past year and she said the same thing the first year was a nightmare, hard for them to transition from elementry to high school.I also use stamping as a type of therapy.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 06-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Hello

My 5 year old son David is mildly Autistic. It has been amazing to see the progress he's made and also tearful at times to see him stuggling. He didn't speak at all until he was almost 3. Luckly his pediatrician had us start with EI when he was 18 months and I believe the early services really helped him. Now he talks a lot and has made great strides. He'll be six in September. Last year we had the option of sending him to elementary school and he did a 1/2 day in the life skills program. They were great him. One of our biggest challenges was potty training and he finally was fully potty trained last fall after starting school. This fall he'll be in the life skills program in the morning and regular kindergarten in the afternoon. I'm a little worried about how he'll do in the regular class, but I'm really proud that he's come so far that the school feels like he can do it.
I also was wondering how many other people on the boards are effected by autism. I"m glad this thread was started. I also use stamping as my therapy.

"Somethings gotta go wrong, cuz I'm feeling way too damn good" - Nickelback
Old 06-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #15
Gallery Gazer

Welcome Tracy! Thank you for sharing with us, we too had a long wait for fully potty trained she was also just going into kindergarten. Megan started speaking when she was 5 she had about 4 words at the time but know at 9 she talks alot they lost count after 5000 words yeah Megan! I felt the transition from kindergarten to grade one was good she also was busy the other half of her kindergarten year doing EIBI in the morning and school in the afternoon, so grade one just came naturally as she was used to being busy all day. Our problem are in the summer when most things shut down, she gets bored and sometimes behavioral problems will set in. I wonder too how many people are affected by autism, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncle cousins, siblings and friends.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 06-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #16
Crimping Master

Hi I have a 9 yo ds with Asperger's. He's just recently diagnosed so I'm very new to all this. I always knew something was wrong, but I guess his Asperger's is very mild and everyone thought I was just nuts and that I had a "weird" child. It's so nice to now know what's going on with him and get services in place.
I'm glad to be here
Old 06-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #17
Gallery Gazer

We are glad to have you Amy. I felt so relieved when services started falling place, we had to move to get it to happen, but it was all worth it, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 06-25-2006, 06:05 PM   #18
Pearl-ExPert

Your dog is so cute!! I have one too. He's a little Shih Tzu. His name is Hamlet. He's fesity but adorable. I'll have to try to get his pic on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona
Old 06-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #19
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: My personal view of Diamond Head (from my backyard)

My DS is 9 yo and was dx'd at 3.5 yo with Asperger's. We are military and have moved 3 times since the dx, some moves better than others as far DS is concerned. We have been up and down with school. DS is extremely verbal. In the EI preschool in CA he tested at a 4th grade level vocab at age 4. After lots of battles with his grade school in VA, I homeschooled him for 2 years until we moved to HI. DS has some anxiety issues along with ADHD issues and gets overwhelmed by crowds sometimes. When we asked the school in VA have spend at least part of his day in self-contained the Sped Ed teacher told us he was "too bright" to be in self-contained at all, never mind that his behavior was regressing and he couldn't handle all the sensory input of a room with 25+ kids all day! Fastforward to HI. A school district with a rep for really bad schools is about bending over backward for him! We are in one of the top elementary schools in the state, he has a skills trainer (not just an aid) that works on his behavior issues, a licensed clinical social worker to do counseling at school with him and home with DH and I. DS spends most of the day in self-contained, but is being worked into regular ed at set incriments. Currently he does p.e., library, computer, lunch, recess and Hawaiian social studies with his regular ed class and field trips. We're thrilled with the progress he's making!!!

I truely believe that the success or failure of a child on spectrum in school depends largely on how willing the school is to truely make IEP's individual. After being in a school that was determined to force my "square peg" kiddo into their perfect little round hole, and then moving to one that was willing to reshape the hole for him, we are seeing an amazing difference. Okay, I'll stop preaching to the choir now!

Thanks for starting the thread, 'cause we all feel each others pains and joys.

Last thing, the social worker has started DS on some biofeed back, which we think is helping, but won't know for sure for about another month and a half. Has anyone tried this with their kiddo? The research we read said that when it works, it works great with the attention issues, etc (increases blood flow to frontal lobe that controls executive functioning). It doesn't promise a cure, just to help with some of the more trying tendencies. If any one esle has used this could you please post about the results? TIA
Old 06-25-2006, 07:49 PM   #20
Gallery Gazer

Thanks Kristen for sharing with us and welcome. I am glad to hear all the wonderful things about your school, how nice after an unpleasent expirience.
I haven't tried the biofeed back but I am looking forward to hearing if someone has. I think I will go look up some info and see what the testimonies are.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 06-25-2006, 08:29 PM   #21
Forum Fanatic

Mom of two autistic sons in Maine checking in. My older child is 9 and has Asperger's. He was formally diagnosed at 5 but we knew what it was when he was 2-3, just had to get the psychologist to see it. Actually, we just went to a neurologist instead. He has the ADHD that goes hand-in-hand with Asperger's. We have an aid for him at church (volunteer) that helps steer him and keep him from being too much of a distraction, but she had to be moved over to my other son. We told Aaron to be on his best behavior. One of the Sunday School leaders walked over to him and said "Aaron, I'm going to give you some space today, " to which he replied "well, you're not giving me any right now." Of course it was a disrespectful remark, but those of us parents with these kinds of kids know that he was just stating the facts as he saw them, not trying to be disrespectful. She thought it was funny. We laughed when we found out too. The other day he told me he thought we ought to do something very special from my grandmother when she turns 100 (in 4 more years). I asked him what. He said "I don't know, maybe buy her a lifetime supply of food." I just laughed and explained to him that it was funny because when people say that on TV, it usually means decades, but when someone is 100...

Anyway, my other son is seven in two weeks. He is further down the spectrum. His language has increased a lot, but he doesn't talk much unless he wants something. He was mostly in a special ed room this year and will probably be for awhile, although hopefully he'll progress from having a 1-1 aide to perhaps a 1-2 aide. He's a runner and a bolter. But oh so cute. He still is not potty trained, although he stays dry during the day. He does like to poop in his underwear though, which he saves doing for home. He doesn't seem to do it in his pants when he's not wearing underwear so I'm going to try dressing him without underwear whenever possible this summer. I soooo hate changing poopy diapers and pants. He still wears diapers to bed too. Ugh. He knows how to do it right...he just doesn't. Maybe turning 7 will help. We've been trying to condition him.

Hmmm, probably a lot more info than you wanted.

I agree to be an advocate for your kids. But I will also add that just as the "squeaky wheel gets the grease", "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar". It is best to work with people whenever possible. Sometimes people fight for this and that and while they get what they were asking for, some sacrifices in relationships were made along the way.

Stamping is also my therapy. And I use it to fundraise during April (autism awareness month).
Old 06-26-2006, 12:25 AM   #22
Polyshrink Goddess

Hey Sharon, good to see you!! I was wondering when you'd drop in.

DS potty trained at 3 1/2, but only day. He wore pull-ups to bed until last year! It wasn't a gradual thing, it was an all of the sudden thing. My dad and his GF were visiting and had put the kids to bed for me because I had a meeting at church. Next morning DS got up, no pull-ups and dry. I looked in his room and couldn't find the pull-up that I know I set out with his PJs. Anyway, that was about all it took, told him, he did for Miss Linda, he could do it for me. He does have an occassional accident, but they are getting further and further apart It will happen when it happens.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:47 AM   #23
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Welcome Fiona glad to have you join our group. Wow,what are the programs like over there in the uk my dad lives in South Yorkshire England where in the UK are you?

Hi I'm down in Kent which is the South East corner of England, basically find London and head East and you'll hit me! I'm from London originally, but moved out when I got married I live in Sittingbourne and love this area, we are called the garden of England, lots of fruit trees, fruits etc.

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 06-26-2006, 03:51 AM   #24
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Welcome Tracy! Thank you for sharing with us, we too had a long wait for fully potty trained she was also just going into kindergarten. Megan started speaking when she was 5 she had about 4 words at the time but know at 9 she talks alot they lost count after 5000 words yeah Megan! I felt the transition from kindergarten to grade one was good she also was busy the other half of her kindergarten year doing EIBI in the morning and school in the afternoon, so grade one just came naturally as she was used to being busy all day. Our problem are in the summer when most things shut down, she gets bored and sometimes behavioral problems will set in. I wonder too how many people are affected by autism, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncle cousins, siblings and friends.

We were lucky with Joshua - he's always spoken - very eloquently - which is great for the adults, but means the kids have problems understanding him.

J was late potty training too - he was dry during the day at school (aged 4 - don't we start them early) but not dry at night until nearly 6.

We also have problems in the summer, we have an autistic trust in Kent and they let us know whats going on in the summer, but we try to keep to routine as much as possible and make a calendar with all sorts of things on (as long as they won't get changed due to weather etc.) so J knows whats coming next.

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 06-26-2006, 04:03 AM   #25
Insane Embellisher

Well a little bit more about us - gonna bore you all silly!

We knew J was different very early - I teach spec needs at 11 - 16 and DH teaches mainstream at 11 - 19. We got an early diagnosis, cos we pushed, but there is very little support here as J is not considered a priority.

He's in a mainstream school and is just finishing his 3rd year. This has been the smoothest! He's on School Action Plus which is a polite way of saying we know he's got a problem, but theres no funding! Luckily this years teacher has a son with ASD too so she knows how to handle him! He's sitting his first set of exams this year (also called SATS - but not the same) and his school said he was entitled to help with writing (he's got mild fine motor problems) if he needed it. He was scoring average! We said he needs them, he got a scribe and suddenly he's scoring above average! Now I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't kicked off?

I love him to bits and he wouldn't be J if he wasn't the way he is, but it is hard going sometimes.

OK heres a question for all you ladies, what are the obsessions? and what do you do if theres a meltdown?

I'll start - obsession - anything with wheels, cars, trucks, lorries, planes etc - we have so many toy cars etc that I feel like I'm drowning! And worse of all - I can't throw them away 'cos he notices!
Meltdown - definately not laughing and trying to joke him out of it - red rag to a bull! best solution, don't get there in the first place!

Lovely reading all your replies - hope we can keep this thread going for support! BTW as I'm on another time zone or planet, if you want me please PM me - I'm happy to listen whenever!

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 06-26-2006, 05:02 AM   #26
Forum Fanatic

Obsessions: Aaron-video games, Matthew-computer (just likes to type words and such).

With Aaron, I've been through the Pokemon and Star Wars phases as well. Matthew has not had obsessions until recently, and it's really only a mild obsession. If being outdoors were an obsession, I'd say that would be it.

Meltdowns

Just gotta ignore Aaron when he has one. There is no talking him out of it. Matthew needs to be removed from the situation (getting harder as he gets bigger) but calms down pretty easily once removed.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:02 AM   #27
Gallery Gazer

Welcome Sharon thanks for sharing with us, I do agree with your catch more flies with honey approach, and more often then not it works for getting Megan what she needs, god has always provided her need even before we knox them, but her sister Stephanie I have had to fight tooth and nail to get any service for her because her diagnois is neuro developmental disorder, to a social worker fancy word for aurism to the school board just delayed, so we have had struggles getting her service.

Fixations for Megan are Dora, Barney,watches she wears six at a time all her arms can hold. She spends alot of time on her trampoline a great release for her, winters are long without it,we do have a little one for in the house, but it is not the same.

Meltdowns for her tend to be, kids staring at her (huge), she often has her own plans for the day, so when I tell her really what is going to happen meltdown.She also doesn't do well in large crowd settings, mall etc. but loves to got to Walmart.

For Stephanie fixations are Horses, horses, and horses, lives and breathes horses. I find this one hard because there is no other fixation just horses 24/7 all she wants to talk about, she also has a hard time keeping friends, they get bored of the horses and move on.

Meltdowns for Stephanie include things like, embarassment, and not understanding verbal commands, although she speaks perfectly she only understands about 30% of what is spoken, so there are alot of misunderstandings.

Meltdown for Megan usually require removal from the situation or calm down rourine that we have in place, counting turtles, coloring, beanbag chair, if these are not possible she likes squeeze, arm squeeze, leg,shoulder,and head.For Steph just talking and hugging. A lot of reassurance for her too she sometimes feels so out of place, even with constant reminder from us that we are here,we love her always and with help we can just about do anything.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 06-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #28
Gallery Gazer

Anymore of us? Evening everyone.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 06-26-2006, 05:53 PM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, thanks for starting this thread. We've got 2 beautiful boys on the spectrum. The oldest, caleb will be five in a month. He was diagnosed at 31/2 after a year of me saying, "Something's not quite right." Luke is 2. He was diagnosed with PDD at 18months. Both of them have regressive autism.

Caleb has been in a SDC preK for the last 2 years. He'll be starting a new program next week which we are really excited about. He's come a long way. He's starting to talk more and puts together crude sentences . Usually, "Want show please." Also he's almost potty trained. No easy task.

Luke is still so little. He is getting early intervention services - preschool, OT, speech - which seem to be helping. He's fairly social, but he's got a lot of sensory issues. He's starting to talk again a little.

Obsessions-
Caleb - Toy Story at the moment. "Buzz, please."

Luke- all things Thomas the train. The child wakes up at 5am and groggilly says, "Choochoo??"

Tantrums-

Caleb is an avoider. He doesn't tantrum often. Although I did take the 2 of them to the pool by myself last week. Caleb wasn't quite ready to go and laid down on the ground and screamed. It took me 20 minutes to get him in the car! That's not typical for him though.

Luke tantrums occassionally, but is really fairly easy going for an ASD kid. It''s hard to tell what's the autism and what's age appropriate behavior at 2 too.

Thanks for starting this thread.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:55 PM   #30
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a question. How do your kids sleep?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #31
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiechic
My son doesn't sleep well, I could walk in his room at any given time and more than half the time he's awake, poor baby, I think he's scared of all the sounds, sometimes he sleeps with headphones on to block out the noise.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #32
Gallery Gazer

Hi Laura welcome! Megan sleeps on and off during the night, she stays in her room and plays quietly,then falls back asleep, she sems to do this several times a night.It's funny if she sleeps at grandmas house she sleeps through the night, same if she sleeps in my bed. She doesn't seem to be tired at all the next day,so we have never been too concerned. Steph on the other hand wants to go to bed as early as 5pm sometimes and sleeps reight through the night.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 06-26-2006, 11:05 PM   #33
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiechic
I'm sorry, but I think I've forgotten what that is! Actually, DS was a champion sleeper until about 2 1/2. Then he got in the swing of being up with the sun, so in the winter he slept late and in the summer was up at 5:30 am We put room darkening shades in his windows all the time. We are living in our 4th house since this started and it never fails, he always winds up with a room with east facing windows! Our last house I actually tried to find a house with a room with north windows just for him. Currently he has windows that face east and west! The room darkening shades help, still up early, but not too early.

He has always had some trouble falling asleep and new places are hard for him also. He takes 6 mg of melatonin at bedtime to help him fall asleep, listens to smooth jazz and has a night light (which effects his sleep differently than the sun coming in the window).

When he was a baby and toddler he would sleep until a reasonable time and still take a really good nap, which DD never did! He will still conk out in the car if we've been out at the beach or hiking. We are currently trying to change his sleep habits and anxiety issues with bio-feed back, it is still to early to tell, but it seems to be helping.

previos post about obsessions - when he was little, golf, trains, balls, legos, cars

Now, cars, legos, GI Joe, computer and gameboy

As for metldowns, it depends. When he is hungry he can get pretty bad with things, usually when not getting a really desired food. Other than that, it depends on where and how rested he is. If he's already overstimulated, then they happen with more intensity. He is starting to try to control it and think of alternatives, not always, but sometimes. A lot of times if he will remember to remain calm, think of an alternate choice instead of getting upset, we will give the alternate as best we can (even if it's not something he would normally get, and we remind him that it is a special treat for staying calm).

Also, please check out the attached photo! DS decided he wanted to shave his head today! His skills trainer is currently hairless, so I think DS thought it would be neat to try. It took me almost an hour to get it done as he had lots of thick hair. Oh yeah, and DH is gone on a business trip!
Attached Thumbnails
img_0724_1_1_1.jpg  
Old 06-27-2006, 12:20 AM   #34
Forum Fanatic

Aren't ASD kids the most beautiful! Aaron (9) currently wants a mohawk. NO WAY! I let him do a "fauxhawk" instead.

Sleep isn't bad here, but Aaron always took a lot to settle down. Like 1.5-2 hours of stories. Now he's into a rhythm so that he goes to bed at 9:30, any earlier and he'd be awake past 11:00. But he goes right to sleep at 9:30. I wish it were ealier, but I'll take what I can get. Both boys want us to lay down with them.

Matthew used to be perfect. Put him in his room, he'd hug his stuffed seal, roll over and that's the last we'd see. Then he got into the habit of sleeping with us (started when he was sick, of course). Couldn't get him out of our bed for the longest time. Same with Aaron. At one point there was almost a year when both boys and the dog would be with us in our Queen sized bed. Thankfully now it's just DH and I. Matthew sometimes wanders in in the middle of the night.

Eating is tough for us. Aaron prefers cereal. Both prefer junk. It's hard keeping them out of junk, so I tend not to buy it. For a long time they only hate yellow or white things (chicken nuggets, mac-n-cheese, fries, corn). Then of course we've been on the PB&J kicks, then just plain PB, then PB&Fluff...each for about 1.5 years. Neither kid is much of a meat eater. They'll really only eat chicken. No casseroles. I hate meal planning.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:10 AM   #35
Insane Embellisher

Sleep was OK until school started, now he's up early in the summer and late in the winter (even with blackout blinds!) mind early is about 7 during the hols so I can't complain!

As to food - did you know that fruit is frightening? LOL J loves really strong tasting foods, smoked salmon, salami, garlic etc and will eat certain vegetables, but fruit, show him a banana and he runs a mile!

Its funny, if he's well and no coughs or colds we have a relatively good time, if he's poorly his symptoms come out really bad - we have a tough time with him then.

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 06-27-2006, 02:23 AM   #36
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlady
I'm sorry, but I think I've forgotten what that is! Actually, DS was a champion sleeper until about 2 1/2. Then he got in the swing of being up with the sun, so in the winter he slept late and in the summer was up at 5:30 am We put room darkening shades in his windows all the time. We are living in our 4th house since this started and it never fails, he always winds up with a room with east facing windows! Our last house I actually tried to find a house with a room with north windows just for him. Currently he has windows that face east and west! The room darkening shades help, still up early, but not too early.

He has always had some trouble falling asleep and new places are hard for him also. He takes 6 mg of melatonin at bedtime to help him fall asleep, listens to smooth jazz and has a night light (which effects his sleep differently than the sun coming in the window).

When he was a baby and toddler he would sleep until a reasonable time and still take a really good nap, which DD never did! He will still conk out in the car if we've been out at the beach or hiking. We are currently trying to change his sleep habits and anxiety issues with bio-feed back, it is still to early to tell, but it seems to be helping.

previos post about obsessions - when he was little, golf, trains, balls, legos, cars

Now, cars, legos, GI Joe, computer and gameboy

As for metldowns, it depends. When he is hungry he can get pretty bad with things, usually when not getting a really desired food. Other than that, it depends on where and how rested he is. If he's already overstimulated, then they happen with more intensity. He is starting to try to control it and think of alternatives, not always, but sometimes. A lot of times if he will remember to remain calm, think of an alternate choice instead of getting upset, we will give the alternate as best we can (even if it's not something he would normally get, and we remind him that it is a special treat for staying calm).

Also, please check out the attached photo! DS decided he wanted to shave his head today! His skills trainer is currently hairless, so I think DS thought it would be neat to try. It took me almost an hour to get it done as he had lots of thick hair. Oh yeah, and DH is gone on a business trip!

Kristen I so know those meltdowns when hungry - trouble is he's always hungry LOL. Also have a trouble explaining that chocolate isn't for being hungry its a treat!

Love the hair cut - Joshua hates having toe nails and hair cut - he gets a no 1 all over and a treat for sort of sitting still - I have to do it at home as he's a pain at the barbers! Silly thing is - he's had loads of hair since born so had his first hair cut at 3 months - didn't bug him then!

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 06-27-2006, 02:26 AM   #37
Insane Embellisher

This is so great - its really nice to meet you ladies!

Here's a little something to ponder! I went to a seminar by Tony Attwood who's a reknowned bod in the field of ASD in Australia (he's British and comes over a lot!) He said that one of his interns noticed that of all the children he see's in his clinic a high proportion of them began with the letter J. We called our son Joshua, it was the name I had picked out even before I was pregnant! I wonder if there's any truth in this?

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 06-27-2006, 05:13 AM   #38
Gallery Gazer

Hi ladies, Megan has a lot of food issues she doesn't eat any meat or vegtables, here diet is fruit, most types favorites apple, banana,or melon, cheerios, bread, pudding,rice cakes (butter flavor only),peanut butter onn a spoon,popcorn, doritios,grilles cheese, ice cream, cake,frozed yougurt has to be frozen, pizza no topping that's about it for food she drinks juice alot of milk and sometimes water.

Megan has always been very healthy, she is rarely sick and her iron levels are good I don't know how they are but they are.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 06-27-2006, 05:35 AM   #39
Insane Embellisher

Funnily enough the only thing Joshua will drink is water, must be plain, no fizz or flavour and he can tell if a slice of lemon has been put in and taken out! Hows that for tastbuds!

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 06-27-2006, 05:55 AM   #40
Gallery Gazer

I hate that the edit feature is missing so many spelling mistakes sorry. What I meant was peanut butter on a spoon, frozen yougurt and grilled cheese, next time I will wake up before typing.
Diaries Of A Stamper