Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #241
Insane Embellisher

Wow! I have a lot to catch up on! I will do that when I have more time, but just wanted to say that it is so nice to see that other people go through the same things as me and understand!!!! (No, I'm not glad you're going through this..... you know what I mean!!)

Debbie, my 15 yo nephew is taking fish oil pills and the mom thinks they're working. He is also taking other vitamins as well, I'll see if I can find the list of pills he's on. I'm going to try them with my son.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #242
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherof6
Me again....I had a situation happen tonight that really bothers me and I would like to know how you would handle it.

To what extreme to you let you Asperger child be unmonitored? Our son is only five but is very very destructive. Either my DH or myself try to be around him at all times. He is either with us or we go with him. Even a trip to the bathroom by himself, he gets distracted and will get into things and trash them, guaranteed.

So I also have a friend who has an 11 year old with Aspergers. They just let him run by himself at events. There is never a time that he does not start a fight or some other situation. After the other child steps up he runs to his parents. Now this boy is a very big and strong boy and will not blink twice about kicking or punching anyone. This boy does not tell his parents his action in the matter only how the other child re-acted. His parents just yell at the other child and go on. Tonight this young man was picking on, kicking chasing and grabbing my almost 11 yr old son & friend at a picnic we were at. The mother started yelling at my son for moving her sons shoes so they had a chance to get away from him. His mother as far as I can tell is in denial of her son's situtaion and does not believe he is accountable for his action in any matter. I told her if she has a problem with my child she is to come to me or my DH, not to yell at my child for any reason. Her & I did not leave in the best of terms and I do not want that. She is one who has come to me many of times for parental advice. How do I explain to her that the way she is not handling her son will only make it harder on him? Am I wrong? She was so happy when our DS was diagnosed so she could get more ideas. She won't even take her son to any more doctors. She just wants to learn through us. HELP!
Your not wrong to be frustrated. Since your children are different ages, I think it's unfair to you for them to be leaning so heavily on you. I would try and redirect her when she aks questions you can't answer instead of trying to figure things out for her.

I'm assuming we are all somewhat familiar with the grief cycle. Parents go through a similar cycle when a child is diagnosed with a disability. The difference is that we have to recycle through the stages at each transition. And the transitions are more frequent than may expect. Ages 5 and 11 are very different in childhood. This other mom needs other supports. And it may seem that she should know more, but she's recycling the stages at a different period of life with her son. It's hard, but try not to judge. Just redirect her need for advice when she starts looking for it.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:56 PM   #243
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you for all of your replies! She belongs to our Home Educators group. So the school system does not deal with him. We have a strong bond as both of our sons are adopted too. We have been friends for going on 13 years. I started a Home educators support group about 11 yrs ago and have helped them for the past 5 years on researching curriculums for her son. I am now learning first hand.

She did call this morning before church and apologize for how she handled the situation. She did not want this to come between us and that we needed each other because no one understands what we go through each day. It is so nice to have someone to call when you have a very hard AS day!

I am sooo glad to hear that the destructive behavior may dwindle. I was so concerned that as like the rest of his attitude it has gotten worse over the last 3 years he has been with us.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Old 08-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #244
Gallery Gazer

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!
Send a message via MSN to emmiestamps

I thought I post here before advertising somewhere else, does anyone use boardmaker program for the picture exchange symbols, anyways i have this program and the addendums(sp) for sale because we don't use it anymore we now use writing with symbols. If anyone is interested in purchasing this program pm for details.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 08-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #245
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to fiona

Hi Ladies how are you all doing? We have one more week of sumemr vacation here and then its back to school!

We have had a fairly even holiday - but now he's beginning to struggle - 6 weeks off it a bit too much.

I can't remember who posted about the violence, but I would also add that this will get better as they mature and learn other ways of dealing with things - its all about teaching isn't it? What our little aspies don't learn instinctively can often be taught!

I am a little worried about J starting school again this year as he's got a new to the school teacher who is also a 'new teacher'. Hope that he can handle J and doesn't treat him like a naughty child instead of an aspie! we've just finished a load of Occupational therapy and it's been a real eye opener, the good thing is that we've got loads to work on now - has anyone else heard of proprioception or body awareness?

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 08-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #246
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona
Hi Ladies how are you all doing? We have one more week of sumemr vacation here and then its back to school!

We have had a fairly even holiday - but now he's beginning to struggle - 6 weeks off it a bit too much.

I can't remember who posted about the violence, but I would also add that this will get better as they mature and learn other ways of dealing with things - its all about teaching isn't it? What our little aspies don't learn instinctively can often be taught!

I am a little worried about J starting school again this year as he's got a new to the school teacher who is also a 'new teacher'. Hope that he can handle J and doesn't treat him like a naughty child instead of an aspie! we've just finished a load of Occupational therapy and it's been a real eye opener, the good thing is that we've got loads to work on now - has anyone else heard of proprioception or body awareness?
Fiona,
Both our kids go to a sensory integration therapy with an OT. They've got big proprioceptive and vestibular issues. A great book is The Out of Sync Child. Also the OUt of Sync Child has Fun. They have tons of suggestions and fun ways to help our ASD kids.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #247
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiechic
Fiona,
Both our kids go to a sensory integration therapy with an OT. They've got big proprioceptive and vestibular issues. A great book is The Out of Sync Child. Also the OUt of Sync Child has Fun. They have tons of suggestions and fun ways to help our ASD kids.

Thanks for that I'll see if I can get that on Amazon over here! I have to say a lot of his 'little ways' now make sense with this body awareness issue! Like bouncing - we always called him 'Tigger' now I know why!

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 08-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #248
Insane Embellisher

Debbie, my son is 9 and I hardly ever leave him alone because he's so detructive. I have never been able to leave him in the same room as his sister for even a minute until recently. She's 7 and has started fighting back.... I don't like it, but I am glad she is sticking up for herself. She sits on her but or lays on her back and kicks Andrew and screams at the top of her lungs!!! Like I said, I don't like it, but it does keep him away until dad or myself gets in the room.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:05 PM   #249
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiechic
Fiona,
I love the book 'The Out of Sync Child'. Thanks for posting this, I haven't read it for a couple years and need to get it out and read it again. I will also have to find 'The Out of Sync Child has Fun'. I don't have that one.

Anyone know of any good books I can read on how to control a violent child? I just don't know how to handle it anymore.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:02 PM   #250
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbornegina
Debbie, my son is 9 and I hardly ever leave him alone because he's so detructive. I have never been able to leave him in the same room as his sister for even a minute until recently. She's 7 and has started fighting back.... I don't like it, but I am glad she is sticking up for herself. She sits on her but or lays on her back and kicks Andrew and screams at the top of her lungs!!! Like I said, I don't like it, but it does keep him away until dad or myself gets in the room.
That's why I am so thankful I have 3 older sons at home who can handle him. Also his sister is 11 months younger but is quite a bit bigger (see my profile pic) so she can handle herself against him.

Where do you find toys?? He plays with his building blocks ALOT as it seems everything else he just takes apart or folds up. He loves to play dolls (house) with his sister but if he gets his hands on a stuffed one it is no longer stuffed.

I'm ordering those books, as I love to research as much as I can.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Old 08-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #251
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
That's why I am so thankful I have 3 older sons at home who can handle him. Also his sister is 11 months younger but is quite a bit bigger (see my profile pic) so she can handle herself against him.

Where do you find toys?? He plays with his building blocks ALOT as it seems everything else he just takes apart or folds up. He loves to play dolls (house) with his sister but if he gets his hands on a stuffed one it is no longer stuffed.

I'm ordering those books, as I love to research as much as I can.
Toys...... we usually don't buy much for toys! Andrew doesn't (and never has) play with toys. He does like stuffed animals and takes those with him. He would rather have an animal book or real animals and critters!! Our house consists of jars and aquariums filled with wolf spiders, flys, beetles, worms, turtles, toads.... you name it! Right now we have a baby snake that is going as soon as Andrew falls asleep!! "I don't know what happened to the snake dear, he must've got out somehow!!"

For Christmas, we got Andrew a little gameboy. He has played it maybe 6 times! The only time he will sit down and watch tv is if it's Nature or Jack Hanna or Cyber Chase.

I don't know what to tell you about the toys, I hope you find something soon! Could you hit the second hand stores or rummage sales? That way, if he does destroy it you don't have too much invested and if he doesn't like it, just pass it on or take it to Salvation Army!!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #252
Stazon Splitcoast

toys -Caleb and Luke are 5 and 2 and they really like Little People toys. They are very hardy, and it's easy to foster imaginitve and imitative play with them. They also like cars and trucks. Although occassionally our little scientists will take the wheels off and such.

Agressive behaviors - this is a tough one. I always feel incompetent and helpless when Caleb gets aggressive. I know I shouldn't, but...Thankfully,it's not as often anymore. The only thing that really works for us is using natural consequences (you kick the dog we go inside) and/or isolation - "You are showing me that you need some time to yourself. Please go to your room or the corner and calm down. In a few minutes I will come and check on you. If you are ready to behave appropriately you may come out." Now a lot of times Caleb just walks to his room when he gets overloaded or stressed.

Another thing we noticed is that we have to be very specific with Caleb. "Spitting is not polite and it spreads germs." "When you pinch me, it hurts my body and makes me sad." "Be nice" is too ambiguous for him.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:34 PM   #253
Kookie Creator

Hi everyone! Yesterday was first day back at school. It's good to have Taylor back on a regular schedule again - he really thrives when he has school.

Toys - that's always a hard one. Family are always asking "what can we get him?". I don't know - he really doesn't like much. He likes cars, but removes the wheels. They then get tossed because he puts the wheels in his mouth - everything goes in his mouth. He likes playing cards, but ends up chewing on them. We have found anything that plays music or makes sound is what works for him - so we get him inexpensive instruments. He also has a learning globe - (I think it's Leap Frog) that he now loves. Game Boy is too small for him (he looses interest fast) so we got him V-smile and he does play with that from time to time. These guys are hard to please.

Aggression! We went through that for several years, but Taylor is finally beyond that stage - if you can call it a stage. It was probably the most stressful time for all of us. If he wasn't hitting, hurting, or trashing the place he was running away! We had locks everywhere and he could not be left alone. But somehow we all made it through and I learned a lot of patience during that time. He's quite mellow now, but throw a major change his way (like moving) and those aggressions rear their ugly head again. So, I think for him it was a way to express his confusion and test his boundaries. Good luck to all who are experiencing it right now. We move back to the states next summer and I expect the worse out of him - but I will keep my fingers crossed that he's matured enough so it won't be too bad.

Well, time to wake him up for school. Have a great day everyone!

My gallery
Old 08-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #254
Stazon Splitcoast

He does like to play with his sister and Fisher price town. He does always seems to pull everything off that can come off including the stickers. Books he just rolls or folds or rips. If he has a napkin at his meal he will fold, unfold, fold etc, through the whole meal and forget to eat. Animals are a no no! If he is left alone with anyting small he will squish it. It did take almost a year to get him to hold any bugs (remember I have 5 sons and live in the woods.) I do have a few fish tanks including a 55 gal in the living room that he will sit and watch for the longest time. He makes up stories of what the fish are doing . DH & I decided for his birthday we actually had to go to the baby toys to find things less distructable.

I understand the TV bit. The only time I can get him to sit with a show is in the truck on a trip, but he is then fastened in with a 5 point harness. Would it be wrong to bring that in the house ?

We had a really good apt today with his neurologist who referred us to an Alternative Medicine Dr. We meet with him in a few weeks. We are very excited about that. She did start him on Melatonin to maybe help him sleep (and me!)
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Old 08-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #255
Insane Embellisher

I'm having a bad day today - it is less than a week until school restarts and I have tigger at home today. Not only that just as we were getting ready for a bath J announces that he's worried about something (we have been aware of this for a while, but not what it was) I asked him if he would tell me and he said he'd write it down as he couldn't (he gets sort of embarrassed I think). Anyway this is the worry - tornadoes - well we live in the UK and we don't get them, so then he says there's another worry, writes it down, earthquakes, then it was whirlpools, then monster robots, then monsters, the list was getting larger and larger, we got some books out to look at the natural stuff, the end is he's in our bed, with all his fingers in his mouth (unusual) asking me to read a story and then sing the songs I used to sing when he was a tot! He's finally fallen asleep - very restless and worried and I don't know what to do? We've had worries before, but not the weight of the world on him! We live in the Uk, we don't get extremes of weather, but he's so upset and so am I as I feel so helpless.

Thanks for listening

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 08-29-2006, 01:59 PM   #256
Gallery Gazer

((HUGS)) Fiona, it is so hard when they feel stressed or worried, and we can't find away to confort them. Could this be a result of the recent scare in the UK? I have heard that some children after a fire or disaster will react in the same way, it is as though they suddenly realize some of the dangers of the outside world that they didn't know of before.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 08-29-2006, 02:09 PM   #257
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiestamps
((HUGS)) Fiona, it is so hard when they feel stressed or worried, and we can't find away to confort them. Could this be a result of the recent scare in the UK? I have heard that some children after a fire or disaster will react in the same way, it is as though they suddenly realize some of the dangers of the outside world that they didn't know of before.

Thank you so much kelly - it was like a light coming on when you said that! Before school broke up J alerted the teacher to smoke in the class (think I mentioned it before) we were in the car today and out of the blue he brought it up again about how the other children didn't even notice the smoke. I now wonder if that's what this is all about - not being in control of things that can go wrong?

Thank you

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 08-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #258
down and digi

I don't know if this is the right thread for me, but I thought I would try.

My 6 yo DS, Andrew, has been `diagnosed' with Sensory Integration Disorder, PDD, ADHD, and is being investigated for Aspeger's. He is also profoundly gifted. He is lower then the 1st percentile on some things and over the 99th in others.

So, he's not autistic, and may or not be on the spectrum (still investigating), but I think and hope I'll still be able to find support here.

Our biggest problem right now is that his body doesn't seem to be able to process his allergies and his body is completely out-of-sync. Also, because of his SID, he is unaware of his asthma, and shows no signs of difficulty breathing even when he is having an extremely severe attack. I haven't been able to sleep the last few nights because I have to keep such a close eye on his breathing. We were at the ER this morning and we were told to come back tonight so he can sleep in the ER overnight and they can watch him and figure out what is going on when he sleeps. I'm exhausted already and not looking forward to spending the night in the hospital.

I also have a DD, Sarah, who is almost 5.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:24 PM   #259
Stazon Splitcoast

My son had minor surgery yesterday. We came home, today. Ugh! I hate hospitals. Anyway, it went much better than I expected. Since the roomie kept us up all night crying and getting sick, I didn't feel too badly that DS was a parrot! Actually he did VERY well. The nurses thought he was a real charmer. Hopefully, this attitude will continue. I say that because he's getting close to puberty and that's a scary time! Also because the scope done yesterday with the surgery revealed he may be needing major surgery again. Poor kid. He's been through a lot medically in his short life.

Aggression - DS has moved on from that "stage".... for the most part anyway. He still bangs his head occassionally. So, he's not hurting others anymore. If there is a good side to his multiple impairments, it was his aggression couldn't be too effective.... He has cerebral palsy.

Siblings - I can't help there. DS is unfortunately an only child. But I hear the frustration that other Moms talk about. You're not alone. Being a special ed teacher, I'm finding it more common for families to have 2 or 3 children all on the spectrum. THAT would be hard. I remind myself from time to time that someone else, somewhere, has it worse.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:28 PM   #260
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2stampers

My 6 yo DS, Andrew, has been `diagnosed' with Sensory Integration Disorder, PDD, ADHD, and is being investigated for Aspeger's. He is also profoundly gifted. He is lower then the 1st percentile on some things and over the 99th in others.

So, he's not autistic, and may or not be on the spectrum (still investigating), but I think and hope I'll still be able to find support here.

Our biggest problem right now is that his body doesn't seem to be able to process his allergies and his body is completely out-of-sync. Also, because of his SID, he is unaware of his asthma, and shows no signs of difficulty breathing even when he is having an extremely severe attack. I haven't been able to sleep the last few nights because I have to keep such a close eye on his breathing. We were at the ER this morning and we were told to come back tonight so he can sleep in the ER overnight and they can watch him and figure out what is going on when he sleeps. I'm exhausted already and not looking forward to spending the night in the hospital.

Karen, My son was diagnosed with PDD. Sensory Integration Disorder and PDD are on the spectrum. Which school district and state you live in will usually determine if those qualify for special ed services under the spectrum. Sometimes the doctors and schools don't see things the same way.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #261
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
He does like to play with his sister and Fisher price town. He does always seems to pull everything off that can come off including the stickers. Books he just rolls or folds or rips. If he has a napkin at his meal he will fold, unfold, fold etc, through the whole meal and forget to eat. Animals are a no no! If he is left alone with anyting small he will squish it. It did take almost a year to get him to hold any bugs (remember I have 5 sons and live in the woods.) I do have a few fish tanks including a 55 gal in the living room that he will sit and watch for the longest time. He makes up stories of what the fish are doing . DH & I decided for his birthday we actually had to go to the baby toys to find things less distructable.

I understand the TV bit. The only time I can get him to sit with a show is in the truck on a trip, but he is then fastened in with a 5 point harness. Would it be wrong to bring that in the house ?

We had a really good apt today with his neurologist who referred us to an Alternative Medicine Dr. We meet with him in a few weeks. We are very excited about that. She did start him on Melatonin to maybe help him sleep (and me!)
When Andrew was 2 and 3, we had a car seat that was really hard to get out of. We brought it in the house and used it for time-outs because he wouldn't (still won't) stay in a time-out. It helped for quite a while.....until he started getting out. I'd use it!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #262
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

This is the place to be!

I also have an Andrew and there is also one other Andrew on here!!! Hmmmm...... 3 Andrew's! Sounds dangerous to me!

Welcome! Can't wait to hear more from you! Sorry he is having breathing problems, poor guy.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:08 AM   #263
Compulsive Stamper

one of my girlfriends the other night told me that there is a book (or a poem?) written by a mother of an autistic child; it is called 'welcome to Holland". She told me a brief synopsis; I can't wait to read the real book - here's what I imagine it to be - embellished to my heart's content - but here you go.....'Welcome to Holland' - Christie's version.

It is about a couple who decides they are going to Paris. They borrow books from the library, purchase maps from the local bookstore, rent movies,and watch television specials about Paris. They do everything they can possibly do, to get ready to go to Paris. They even seek out friends and family who've been to Paris...and learn everything that they can from those people. They spend months preparing for the big trip. The day finally comes. They have packed for Paris and saved up money for souvineers from Paris. They get on the plane that is going to Paris. They fly for hours. Everyone on the plane is talking about Paris and how excited they are. As the flight decends, everyone is soooo excited! After all, most of these people have never been to Paris before - and even those who have...are so excited to go back! The plane lands and as the couple is preparing to get off the plane, the flight attendant comes back, points to the couple, and says: "this is where you are getting off. Welcome to Holland". HOLLAND? The couple is distraught. They hadn't planned for Holland.

They didn't know anything about Holland. Nothing that they had read or heard had prepared them in any way to enjoy a vacation in Holland. Their initial reaction was shock...and then it turned into anger. What was supposed to be a beautiful vacation in Paris...would be spent in HOLLAND? What are they going to do now? Well, they get off the plane and start walking around. First they saw the beautiful flowers and met some of the people. The people were very, very friendly. As they started slowly exploring Holland they realized that it, too, is a beautiful place. Not quite what they expected - harder to navigate in some areas; particularly w/the wrong maps - but....beautiful. They begin taking pictures and they begin enjoying their trip. afterall, they are in Holland - and even though they hadn't planned it...would they change it? no....they wouldn't.

Obviously this story would parallel with those of us who prepared for a NT!

love you all - thanks for the stories *huuuuuuuuuug*
OH! and don't forget Phoebo (previously known as Phoebe) and Wanda - both the sweetest guinea pigs ever
Old 08-30-2006, 05:36 AM   #264
Stazon Splitcoast

This was actually posted in another forum on SCS the other day . I copied it and sent it to a few friends:

Welcome to Holland by Emily Pearl Kingsley

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disability: When you are going to have a baby, it's like planning a fabulous vacation trip to Italy. You buy a bunch of guidebooks and make wonderful plans. The coliseum, the Michelangelo David, the gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian, all very exciting. After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags and off you go. Several hours later the plane lands. The flight attendant comes in and says "Welcome to Holland." Holland?!? You say. What do you mean Holland? I signed up for Italy...All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy... But there has been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.
The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. It's just a different place. So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole new group of people you would have never met.
It's just a different place. It's slower paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there a while and you catch your breath, you look around and you begin to notice that Holland has windmills, Holland has tulips, Holland even has Rembrandts. But everyone you know is busy coming and going from Italy and they're all bragging about what a wonderful time they had there. And for the rest of your life, you will say, "yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."
But if you spend the rest of your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, the very lovely things about Holland.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Old 08-30-2006, 05:48 AM   #265
Gallery Gazer

Love those poems ladies they are so fiiting and remind me of the advive the specialist gave me when Megan was diagnosed he said GO HOME AND MOURN THE LOSS OF THE CHILD YOU THOUGHT YOU WOULD HAVE, SO YOU WILL BE FREE TO RAISE THE CHILD YOU DO HAVE" I did exactly that and he was so right I have met so many parents still stuck on the fact that their plans changed that the never see the beauty in what they do have.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 08-31-2006, 05:15 AM   #266
Compulsive Stamper

thanks debbi! my friend's synopsis was so brief that I just had to embellish it - I didn't do too bad lol I didn't realize that this was posted in another forum - I get emails from this forum when something new is posted b/c I just can't keep up - but no others. thanks again! - C
OH! and don't forget Phoebo (previously known as Phoebe) and Wanda - both the sweetest guinea pigs ever
Old 08-31-2006, 07:17 AM   #267
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought you did very good, but since I had just gotten the original....

It mademe cry (most things do now days) and the ones I passed it on to really appreciated too.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Old 09-01-2006, 04:56 AM   #268
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to caostampin
Default I am back..

Sorry I've been MIA lately. Many things have been going on here for us. Our furniture arrived, thus needing unpacking. My sister's wedding was Friday, so we headed off to it in England. And school started on Monday for my girls.

A frightening thing happened to me on Wednesday when I went to meet my youngest DD at school. Andrew and I walked down to the school to get my DD. She was not in the usual spot, so I was waiting and Andrew was playing around the signs and trees (which he likes because they line up). I finally called Andrew so we could walk to the office, but then I saw my DD. In that few seconds, Andrew was GONE! Once I realized he was no longer with us, I began to panic and looked everywhere. I was calling for him, but couldn't see him anywhere. At that time of day, there are about 800 students being released from school and boarding buses.

A school staff member asked me if something was wrong and I told them Andrew was lost and he is Autistic, non-verbal. An announcement was made and the buses held until Andrew was found. A very nice para-professional found him sitting on the sidewalk at the end of the school near the buses. My HEART stopped. My DD and I were in tears. I had heard a siren in the area and thought the worst. Two teachers asked me if he was attending school and I said yes, next week in the Autistic program - both were special ed teachers and knew what I was going through.

Right then and there, I decided that Andrew and I can not walk down to the school anymore. He wanders off too much and does not like to hold my hand. (But will for a teacher, go figure.) I'll end up paying allowance to my oldest DD to walk her sister to and from school everyday. That is the best alternative. I do not want to go through that ever again.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Old 09-01-2006, 06:16 AM   #269
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh Christine, that must have been terrifying. I'm so glad it turned out okay. ((((Hugs))))

Caleb once got away from me when we were getting in the van to go somewhere. I was buckling Luke's seatbelt. I turned around and he was gone. So scary. I looked all the normal places - we had a park right behind our house, he liked the neighbors rock garden. Nowhere to be seen. He had gone to a neighbor's house. They weren't home, but the door was unlocked so he just let himself in and went to look for his buddy and the toys. I found him. They were wondering how the Tv got left on upstairs and why it was playing a disney video though. Not poltergeists just Caleb.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:32 AM   #270
down and digi

Christine, I can only imagine how scray that was. Glad he was ok.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:23 PM   #271
Kookie Creator

Christine, you must have been terrified!!

Several years back, when Taylor was a runner, he managed to get out of the house while I was upstairs. It was the worst feeling I have ever had when I realized he was gone and not in our yard. I called my neighbor who had her kids heading for the woods (a favorite place of Taylor's) and her husband headed to the playgrounds. I got in the car and started driving - my teenager started scouring the neighborhood on foot as well. It only took about 15 min's to find him (the longest 15 min's ever) - my friends DH found him at one of the playgrounds. I think the worst part of him dissappearing is that he doesn't respond when you call him. He could be just around a corner out of site, but doesn't answer to his name. It's something we've worked on for a long time, but he still doesn't grasp the need to respond to his name. He probably heard all of us calling him the entire time we were looking for him.

Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I know exactly how you must have felt. I'm glad he's home and safe now! Blessings!

My gallery
Old 09-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #272
Insane Embellisher

Oh Christine, that is so scary. That is the worse feeling in the world. I am so glad he's ok. Hugs to you.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #273
Stazon Splitcoast

Christine, and all of you who have had a child missing for a short time... How scary! (((HUGS))) to you all!
Old 09-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #274
down and digi

Quote:

Andrew's asthma is back on track and he's back in his own bed.

Does anyone else have a child who does not feel pain or discomfort? Andrew feels sharp pain (falling down, bee sting, etc), but he does not feel pain or discomfort that comes on gradually (asthma attack). Consequently, we have gotten into scary situations with him because he doesn't know when he is seriously ill. As an example, he almost died from an infection at 3 yo that should have been excruciating, but the only sign I had of it was he stopped moving his neck and turning his entire body to look at things - he didn't complain a single time.

Does anyone else have experience with this and do you have any tips.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:51 AM   #275
Gallery Gazer

Our Megan used to be like that she stayed that way until she was 6 she didn't even feel hot or cold would wear sweat suits in the summer and I found her once on the front porch sitting naked in the snow her skin was all red but didn't seem to bother her at all.When she was 5 she cut her finger on a heating grate we had to follow the blood trail to find her (she also never responed when called) and when we did find her she had quite the gash but never responded to the pain from it, she never cried from falls, scraps etc. When her sense of pain developed we so excited! The first memory I have of her pain sensory is when she stubbed her toe on the leg of a coffee table and I saw her wince and said to DH I think she felt that, sure enough she did she now feels everything, hot, cold and pain.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 09-02-2006, 07:11 AM   #276
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Andrew's asthma is back on track and he's back in his own bed.

Does anyone else have a child who does not feel pain or discomfort? Andrew feels sharp pain (falling down, bee sting, etc), but he does not feel pain or discomfort that comes on gradually (asthma attack). Consequently, we have gotten into scary situations with him because he doesn't know when he is seriously ill. As an example, he almost died from an infection at 3 yo that should have been excruciating, but the only sign I had of it was he stopped moving his neck and turning his entire body to look at things - he didn't complain a single time.

Does anyone else have experience with this and do you have any tips.
YES! I understand!

You should have seen me trying to explain this to the surgeon this past Monday. Sigh!

I don't have any suggestions. My son is 11, and we still have that problem.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #277
Gallery Gazer

Happy Bithday Okiechic!May you be blessed all year long!
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 09-02-2006, 08:15 PM   #278
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiestamps
Happy Bithday Okiechic!May you be blessed all year long!
Thanks, Kelly.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:43 AM   #279
Insane Embellisher

Hi all... I'm just jumping in because I have a quick question... I have a younger brother who just turned 13. He's the youngest of 8, but he's 7 years younger than the next youngest, so most of us were out of the house already (or several years older) as he's been growing up. Anyway, he's kind of immature socially, doesn't have many friends, often changes the subject randomly when you are talking to him, can't get a straight answer out of him etc. I haven't lived in the same house with him for over 5 years, and out of the country for the last 3, so I haven't spent a lot of time with him lately. My dh is in med school and he says that every time he reads over stuff pertaining to autism, he thinks of my brother. I honestly don't know why. Can anyone give me any insight into this, and if I should talk to my mom about having him tested? He's a pretty smart guy and gets good grades when he actually does his work, and plays both the piano and trombone. I just don't know if it's necessary to actually "label" him autistic if he doesn't have anything seriously wrong with him? KWIM? Any insight would be great.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:54 AM   #280
Stazon Splitcoast

Katie,
After my oldest was diagnosed, I saw autistic traits in lots of people. I can say without any doubt that my former neighbor had ASD. I also have a few family members. On the one hand I think diagnosis opens the doors for treatment, but if your brother is already thriving maybe the label wouldn't help him. If,however, you think that being aware of his limitations might open doors for him, certainly speak to your mom about it. Maybe he is struggling in some areas. Some people get diagnosed and then feel relieved to know why they are just a little different from everyone else. I don't know if this was any help, but good luck with this sensitive situation. I'd be happy to answer anymore questions. Take care