Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #2241
Pearl-ExPert

Susan - what a nice experience!

I was at the grocery store on Friday and purchased a blue lightbulb for our front porch light to "Light It Up Blue" for Autism Awareness month. The checker and bagger were both young men and the bagger asked what I was using the "cool light" for. I explained to them both what it was for and I got that same "very cool" answer that Susan got

Our local baseball team, the San Diego Padres, picked NFAR as their charity this month to work with since it's Autism Awareness month. They are doing special pre-game talks about it and they invited the local Daddy & Me Autism Support Group to come to a specific game next week for reduced prices and special recognition. Hooray!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #2242
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhtwin View Post
Susan - what a nice experience!

I was at the grocery store on Friday and purchased a blue lightbulb for our front porch light to "Light It Up Blue" for Autism Awareness month. The checker and bagger were both young men and the bagger asked what I was using the "cool light" for. I explained to them both what it was for and I got that same "very cool" answer that Susan got

Our local baseball team, the San Diego Padres, picked NFAR as their charity this month to work with since it's Autism Awareness month. They are doing special pre-game talks about it and they invited the local Daddy & Me Autism Support Group to come to a specific game next week for reduced prices and special recognition. Hooray!!
Yes, VERY COOL!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #2243
Kookie Creator

Hi everyone - I truly hope things are going well and everyone is finding surprising support.

I need some feedback from all of you - about 7 weeks ago I wrote that we were considering B-12 (methylcobolamin) injections for our son. We started and have been on them since. We have seen a few improvements - more "regular" bowel movements (my son only eats 2-3 foods and has always had terrible diarrhea), fewer "up all night" episodes, and more attention to some tasks.

Here's the awful part - Unfortunately, one of the possible side effects is extreme irritability and aggression . . . both of which my son is showing terribly. They've had to go back to him wearing a helmet in school because he is throwing himself to the floor and banging his head (something he used to do all the time and had diminished significantly prior to introducing the shots) and he is just screaming ALL THE TIME. He is non-verbal, which complicates things even more.

His doctor said that these side-effects can last approximately 2-6 months, after which they should subside and I should see (hopefully) great gains. Oftentimes, the severity of these side effects is directly correlated to the greatness of the possible progress to be shown once the side effects subside. In the meantime though, the question is if it can all be tolerated and for how long. Further, it concerns me that the terrible behavior will become more ingrained and more difficult to diminish over time.

I don't know what to do. Part of me wants to stop the shots and part of me wants to tough it out for there might be (of course, no guarantee) tremendous gains at the end. There's also the option of decreasing the dosage, but that might also decrease the possible gains. The doctor has prescribed Taurine, which is supposed to help lessen the irritability and aggression.

My 3 girls are doing the best they can, but this is affecting all of us. Any thoughts/suggestions/anything will be appreciated.

THANK YOU!
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #2244
Watercolor Wizard

Andrea,

Big, big hugs! I have no advice or suggestions since we've never done this and I know nothing about it, but I hope someone here can help.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM   #2245
Pearl-ExPert

Andrea -

I second that "big, big hugs" to you too!

I too have no knowledge of the B-12 shots

Hope someone else here can help........
Old 04-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #2246
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Andrea,
I have a child with autism but have not tried the shots. I do, however, have a girlfriend who has used the shots with her 5 years old son (classic autism). If you would like to pm me your email address I could give it to Leah. She is very willing to discuss autism and her personal experience so I'm sure she would be happy to chat with you about her decisions around the Vitamin B shots.
Hope that helps.
Kristin

Quote:
Originally Posted by abareis View Post
Hi everyone - I truly hope things are going well and everyone is finding surprising support.

I need some feedback from all of you - about 7 weeks ago I wrote that we were considering B-12 (methylcobolamin) injections for our son. We started and have been on them since. We have seen a few improvements - more "regular" bowel movements (my son only eats 2-3 foods and has always had terrible diarrhea), fewer "up all night" episodes, and more attention to some tasks.

Here's the awful part - Unfortunately, one of the possible side effects is extreme irritability and aggression . . . both of which my son is showing terribly. They've had to go back to him wearing a helmet in school because he is throwing himself to the floor and banging his head (something he used to do all the time and had diminished significantly prior to introducing the shots) and he is just screaming ALL THE TIME. He is non-verbal, which complicates things even more.

His doctor said that these side-effects can last approximately 2-6 months, after which they should subside and I should see (hopefully) great gains. Oftentimes, the severity of these side effects is directly correlated to the greatness of the possible progress to be shown once the side effects subside. In the meantime though, the question is if it can all be tolerated and for how long. Further, it concerns me that the terrible behavior will become more ingrained and more difficult to diminish over time.

I don't know what to do. Part of me wants to stop the shots and part of me wants to tough it out for there might be (of course, no guarantee) tremendous gains at the end. There's also the option of decreasing the dosage, but that might also decrease the possible gains. The doctor has prescribed Taurine, which is supposed to help lessen the irritability and aggression.

My 3 girls are doing the best they can, but this is affecting all of us. Any thoughts/suggestions/anything will be appreciated.

THANK YOU!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #2247
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Kristin!

Good to see you on this thread - it's been awhile.

Hope all is well with you and the family
Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #2248
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Lorraine,
Life is good. We are really finding our DS to have had a huge gain in skills!!! His coping is excellent and his reactions are such a lovely break. I liken it to a diabetic finding the right dosing for insulin... still need the insulin, but it's all working just right so no huge crashes or surges. That being said, I'm finding it harder to handle/react to the crashes and surges because they are totally catching me off-guard or unprepared. I used to carry an entire line of tricks and tools and bribes on me at all times. I have gotten slack and that's totally sent us into a tailspin a few times. And it's harder for me to recover when I'm caught so unprepared. Does that make sense? I guess now, 3 years after symptoms appeared, we are learning to "live with" autism, not "survive it".

It's good to be connecting again, after I came out of the fog/whirlwind/chaos of the 12-18hrs therapy days my body and mind just said enough was enough and the last many months have been hard. Glad to be slowly moving to 'balanced' life again. I really feel for the families who are in the throws of newly suspecting or newly diagnosed! That is a hard and lonely walk for sure.
But... now I'm back and hoping to get back to scrapbooking and really savouring the moments as they come!!!

Kristin
Old 04-27-2011, 06:28 AM   #2249
Pearl-ExPert

Kristin - yes, you make perfect sense!

Glad to hear that DS is making great gains - hooray!

Also glad to hear life is smoothing out for you and becoming more balanced; that's so important
Old 05-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #2250
Pearl-ExPert

Wanted to share a "feel good" story -

Last Saturday, I took DS to the AMC Theater for the Autism Society Sensory Movie which was "Rio".

As we were standing in line, I noticed that a family was at the ticket window for quite some time and that the mom was talking to the ticket person at length. Soon, word started buzzing through the line that the theater did not know it was listed as having the sensory friendly movie that morning.

The mom then turned to the big line and asked "who is here for the sensory showing?". About 20 of us in line raised our hands. She confirmed what the whispers were all about - the theater was not prepared for our group. She said the ticket agent had requested the manager come out and talk to us.

So, all of us in line for the movie gathered to the side of the ticket building. There was some grumbling going on and folks started wondering out loud if were going to have to tell our kids that the movie wasn't going to be shown.

The manager comes around the corner, and some in the group were surprised the manager of the day was a young man about 22 years old . He first apologized and offered us passes. The mom who had been at the ticket counter said "Look at our group - do you really want to give away 50 passes?" because by then, there were about 50 of us standing there. He said "give me a few minutes and I'll be back". He came back in a few minutes and announced that they had opened an auditorium and would show the movie the way we were all expecting! He then took our group to the Customer Service counter inside and personally sold us our tickets. Then he came into the auditorium and made sure the previews were fast-forwarded through, the lights were at the right level and the sound was at the right level.

So a big shout-out goes to "Manager Tim" of the AMC Mission Valley Theater in San Diego for doing the right thing and making the movie happen for our kids!

While we were standing in line at the Customer Service counter, the liaison for the San Diego Autism Society spoke to each of us and apologized for the confusion. They always send a representative to work with the theater employees to make sure the auditorium, lights and sound are set-up appropriately for the group.

It's nice when people go the extra step for our kiddos
Old 05-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #2251
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to say "Happy Mother's Day" to all of you wonderful mommies on this thread....

I learn from you and find all of you to be inspiring...

*kiss*
Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #2252
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Just wanted to say "Happy Mother's Day" to all of you wonderful mommies on this thread....

I learn from you and find all of you to be inspiring...

*kiss*
DITTO! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #2253
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by abareis View Post
DITTO! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
Yes, I had a wonderful Mother's Day - hope you did too

I went into DS's room that morning when I heard him waking up. He looked at me and said "Happy Mother's Day Mommy! Please come and lay down with me"......how could I resist that sweet invitation??!!

So, I snuggled into his bed with him and enjoyed being a Mommy
Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #2254
Matboard Maniac

Default Though I am new to this site.....

I have been out of comission for awhile. We have had several deaths in the family, people falling off of ladders and breaking arms, and people breaking hips as well! None of these people were immediate family, but it affects our dynamics here.

The good news is that family members had a new baby, an engagement, and

OUR DS GRADUATED FROM UPPER SCHOOL!!!! Whoo Hoo!

DH has Aspergers (never formally diagnosed) and my son is somewhere on the spectrum (never formally diagnosed).

DS got accepted into the Toyota T-10 program at a local community college and starts fall of 2011. It was a tough program to get into and I think the instructor was so tired of DS face that he registered him!! If that is how it has to be done, so be it!

This summer he is job shadowing at an auto garage four days a week and loves it.

Sorry I haven't been here lately. I lurked a lot to keep up with most of the postings.

So excited about our next adventure....

Beaglelover
Old 06-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #2255
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Beaglelover!

Good to hear from you - thanks for checking in!

Congrats to DS on his graduation and job shadowing

Yes, it sounds like a new adventure is headed your way.

Keep us posted -
Old 06-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #2256
Compulsive Stamper

Default Need help with school

I am so helpless and hopeless. My 15 year old son has Aspergers and is having trouble making friends. He still makes very poor choices and we have to take him for counseling. The problem is that he doesn't think ahead before he makes poor choices.

The high school in Greenville, SC where my son goes to is a huge school and has 2,200 students which is too much for him. I am seriously thinking about looking for a school up in NC where they have a smaller enrollment. The IEP team didn't give me a lot of options as to where I want to enroll my son.

Anyone know of a reliable school district in NC where I can call and ask questions? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #2257
Insane Embellisher

My son is 9 years old and high functioning. One thing that is an issue right now is the tv. He has it on all the time, although he doesn't ever just sit and stare at it. He plays with his toys, but likes to have it on in the background. He does watch it, but is playing at the same time. If I ask him to turn it off, he has a complete meltdown.

I'm trying to figure out if he is just spoiled and I need to be tough with him, or if it is an autism issue...maybe hearing it in the background is soothing to him?

Normally it doesn't bother me too much, but we are visiting with my parents (who are used to a quiet house) and I think it gets on my mom's nerves to hear the tv all the time. I attempted to keep it off for awhile yesterday and it was not pretty. He became furious and just had a huge tantrum. Today I decided it is not worth it for right now, and just to keep it on very low so it's keeping him happy and not driving my parents crazy!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #2258
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraphappy09 View Post
I am so helpless and hopeless. My 15 year old son has Aspergers and is having trouble making friends. He still makes very poor choices and we have to take him for counseling. The problem is that he doesn't think ahead before he makes poor choices.

The high school in Greenville, SC where my son goes to is a huge school and has 2,200 students which is too much for him. I am seriously thinking about looking for a school up in NC where they have a smaller enrollment. The IEP team didn't give me a lot of options as to where I want to enroll my son.

Anyone know of a reliable school district in NC where I can call and ask questions? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
I'm sorry I don't know anything about NC schools, and I hope you can find some direction on this. There is another forum for parents with children on the spectrum that might be more helpful...things here come and go in spurts, depending on everyone's time and situation, and unless someone from NC chimes in, you're not likely to get an answer to such a specific question.

Check this forum here: Autism-PDD Message Boards

Best of luck!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #2259
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcraftedHeart View Post
My son is 9 years old and high functioning. One thing that is an issue right now is the tv. He has it on all the time, although he doesn't ever just sit and stare at it. He plays with his toys, but likes to have it on in the background. He does watch it, but is playing at the same time. If I ask him to turn it off, he has a complete meltdown.

I'm trying to figure out if he is just spoiled and I need to be tough with him, or if it is an autism issue...maybe hearing it in the background is soothing to him?

Normally it doesn't bother me too much, but we are visiting with my parents (who are used to a quiet house) and I think it gets on my mom's nerves to hear the tv all the time. I attempted to keep it off for awhile yesterday and it was not pretty. He became furious and just had a huge tantrum. Today I decided it is not worth it for right now, and just to keep it on very low so it's keeping him happy and not driving my parents crazy!
Well, it very well could be a sensory issue thing...the need for background noise, that is. If he can enjoy it turned down low, that is good. He's out of his normal routine, in a place that isn't home, and dealing with people and stimuli that aren't usual. Doesn't seem like a good time to disrupt something soothing at all.

If you want to address the issue once you're home, though, you could start by setting a timer and saying he has only this much time to have the tv on. Once the timer goes off, so does the the tv. You could start with longer periods and gradually shorten them to wean him off the noise. Or, you could let him wear headphones so only he hears the tv. Or, you could put a tv in his room and only allow it on for his stimming there. Or, you could just let him have the soothing he gets from the tv.

With our kids, there are no right answers. Just whatever works for your son and your family.

Really helpful, aren't I?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #2260
Compulsive Stamper

LateBlossom - thanks so much for your help and time! I have looked at it and bookmarked it.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #2261
Pearl-ExPert

It's been awhile since anyone has checked in.....

How is everyone's summer going so far?

DS starts 3rd grade on 09/06. He's full-time at his daycare place for the summer. They have a giant inflatable water slide to play on so he is enjoying that!

I will be trying to transition him to a new swim teacher tonight. The wonderful woman who has been teaching him for almost 2 years now broke her wrist last week (ouch!) and is out for 2 months. He loves to swim so I'm hoping the lure of jumping in the pool will outweigh the "new teacher".

We've got a few fun things on our August calendar through the San Diego Chapter of the Autism Society. Pool parties and sensory movie showings - two things DS enjoys

Hope all is well with everyone and their wonderful kiddos!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #2262
Polyshrink Goddess

My 31/2 year old Son was fianlly accepted into Special Needs Pre-School starting 2 weeks from Monday. I am excited and nervious, he has never been away from either Hubby or I for more then 1 hr before. I am starting to really like the Autism Clinic I have been taking him to at a Childrens Hospital. My Son is doing pretty good- behavior he can be a handful but he is trying to talk more and more (but still very lil real words yet). With all the therapies he is recieving- I truly hope to mainstream him by 1st grade. He is smart, sweet and it is so heart-breaking to watch him struggle so much. But I am trying to be excited about Pre-School- I just pray they don't throw him out in the first week or 2 due to behavior.
Sheena
Old 09-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #2263
Pearl-ExPert

How is everyone doing?
Old 09-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #2264
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena74 View Post
My 31/2 year old Son was fianlly accepted into Special Needs Pre-School starting 2 weeks from Monday. I am excited and nervious, he has never been away from either Hubby or I for more then 1 hr before. I am starting to really like the Autism Clinic I have been taking him to at a Childrens Hospital. My Son is doing pretty good- behavior he can be a handful but he is trying to talk more and more (but still very lil real words yet). With all the therapies he is recieving- I truly hope to mainstream him by 1st grade. He is smart, sweet and it is so heart-breaking to watch him struggle so much. But I am trying to be excited about Pre-School- I just pray they don't throw him out in the first week or 2 due to behavior.
Sheena
How is he doing, Sheena?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #2265
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
How is everyone doing?
Pretty good, Lorraine. School is going great between the LD and inclusion classes, and Jack's aide is awesome. The only bad thing so far is that Jack's getting bullied on the bus, but (hopefully) it's being taken care of by the principal.

He has a friend named Sophie, who is a real sweetheart. He wanted to invite her to go to A Day out with Thomas. How many third-grade (neurotypical) girls will squeal with joy upon getting such an invitation? Sophie did! Wish she rode the bus with him, LOL!

How are things with you?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #2266
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Susan -

Things are going well.

Sophie sounds delightful! And yes, I wish she rode the bus too

We had a bday party for Jake over the weekend. We rented the pool where he takes weekly swim lessons. Wish more classmates had shown up

I invited the 8 kids from his class and the 10 kids in the 4th grade class that his class does activities with. We even included siblings in the invitations.

We booked the pool for 2 hours and it was just for us. It's an indoor heated pool and the 2 lifeguards we hired work with special needs kids. We did pizza and cupcakes (2 of Jake's favorite foods!). No decorations, balloons or goody bags. Very visually scaled down and simple. All of those details were listed on the invitation.

You'd think we would have had a pool full of kids - nope! Out of the 18 kiddos who got invitations, I heard from ONE parent whose kids couldn't make it. I had my cell phone, my sister's cell phone and my email on the invite to RSVP to. Nothing......no response from anyone.

*sigh*

A few other friends did come and swim and Jake had a blast - that's the most important thing! But still, I was so disappointed that parents didn't RSVP and that more kiddos didn't come to swim.

OK - enough grousing!!

Jake is doing well in 3rd grade so far. His class does recess with a gen-ed class and his teacher reports he's interacting great with those friends.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #2267
Matboard Maniac

Default Hello!

Quote:
How is everyone doing?
Summer was busy, but good. DS is 18 now (almost 19) and job shadowed at a garage on the base where DH works. He loved it. Went in four days a week five hours a day. It was a terrific experience. He learned to do lube, filters, and oil, brake jobs, helped attempt to rebuild an engine, and just a little bit of everything.

Wednesday he starts college where he was accepted into the Toyota T-10 program last spring. The waiting list was horrendous and it was Divine Intervention that got him in!

So now we are like all parents waiting with bated breath and excitement to see how this goes.

Asperger DH has been pretty good. Not a lot of meltdowns, but is struggling with the whole college thing. I think it must have been stressful for him in school growing up so he is going overboard trying to give Brian a positive experience whereas he should just let everything alone. Brian is already excited about this and I think he will do fine.

Sorry I haven't been on board very much. Keeping two autistic people happy in this house consumes all of my time!

Hope everyone is doing well. Sounds like lots of excitement now that school is back in session!

Beaglelover
Old 09-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #2268
Watercolor Wizard

Best wishes to your son, Beaglelover! How exciting for him!!! And you, too!!!

Lorraine, sorry to hear about the party. We don't do parties. Some friends of ours offered their children two choices: a birthday party as their present, or king/queen for the day, which involved picking an activity for the whole family to do together and choosing the restaurant for dinner. We did the same for our kids, and they both choose to be king for the day EVERY YEAR!!! Makes life so much easier, and it is a ton of fun for us all.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #2269
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBlossom View Post
Best wishes to your son, Beaglelover! How exciting for him!!! And you, too!!!

Lorraine, sorry to hear about the party. We don't do parties. Some friends of ours offered their children two choices: a birthday party as their present, or king/queen for the day, which involved picking an activity for the whole family to do together and choosing the restaurant for dinner. We did the same for our kids, and they both choose to be king for the day EVERY YEAR!!! Makes life so much easier, and it is a ton of fun for us all.
Susan -

Fabulous idea! Maybe that's what we'll do next year.....
Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #2270
Pearl-ExPert

Beaglelover -

Thanks for checking in!

How wonderful for your son Good for him!

Glad to hear things are OK with Aspie DH - yes, I'm sure he is trying to overcompensate with Brian's schooling. We all want better for our children than what we had/went through.....

Take care
Old 09-22-2011, 03:30 AM   #2271
Polyshrink Goddess

WE just completed Lil Mans (31/2 years old) 4th week in special needs Pre-School- things seem to be going fairly well. He still isn't talking much at school except for echo'ing everything he hears and has zero interest in playing with other children. At Home though we see big changes. He is using 2 words sentences, less echo'ing at us. His behavior is still difficult at times but we take it day by day. He has his ADOS scheduled in November- so we will get an idea of where he falls on the spectrum. After his CARS test in August- we were told he will probably fall somewhere in the moderate scale area but I still have hopes that the ADOS will show improvement. Overall Pre-School has been great and the 3 hours a day I get alone at home is great for my sanity.
Thanks for asking...
Sheena
Old 09-22-2011, 03:52 AM   #2272
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena74 View Post
WE just completed Lil Mans (31/2 years old) 4th week in special needs Pre-School- things seem to be going fairly well. He still isn't talking much at school except for echo'ing everything he hears and has zero interest in playing with other children. At Home though we see big changes. He is using 2 words sentences, less echo'ing at us. His behavior is still difficult at times but we take it day by day. He has his ADOS scheduled in November- so we will get an idea of where he falls on the spectrum. After his CARS test in August- we were told he will probably fall somewhere in the moderate scale area but I still have hopes that the ADOS will show improvement. Overall Pre-School has been great and the 3 hours a day I get alone at home is great for my sanity.
Thanks for asking...
Sheena
Sheena, it sounds like things are going well! We also saw much improvement at home when they weren't seeing much improvement at school in preschool. Make sure you tell the teachers this...they need to know that what they're doing is, indeed, making a difference, even if the school environment isn't showing it. I suspected that the sensory overload at school (so many people, so much noise, so much over-decorating in the classrooms!) got in the way of our son showing his progress there. He's in his sixth year in the school district, and now we see more progress at school and less at home...which is fine. It means he's handling the stress of school better and learning more. Home is mostly down time for him now, and we all need our down time, don't we?!?!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #2273
Pearl-ExPert

Sheena -

Thanks for the update!

Glad to hear Little Man is making progress. Don't worry too much about the echolalia (echoing) - Jake's teachers said to just go with it and use it as an opportunity to help repeat/correct any words he has said.

My son, Jake, is like Susan's son. He shows more progress at school than at home with things - especially toileting.

Susan - you are so right - we all need some down time!!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #2274
Glitter Queen

I raise my grandkids we've had them since birth. Now three and four years old. The little girl is a drug/alcohol baby with ADHD and has mild autism. A very difficult child.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #2275
Inking Addict

Heart New around here

Hello, I'm not new to Splitcoast, but I have been gone a lot since my son's diagnosis in July 09. I never knew this group was here. We recently moved to Ireland from San Diego, CA and I'm missing all my stamping projects. Our stuff will be shipped by Christmas, so I'm excited to get back into that. I think I need the outlet since it feels like all of my time is spent in therapies or dealing with meltdowns. I'll check back more frequently now that I know you're here. It's nice to not feel so alone.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #2276
Pearl-ExPert

Hi April! Sorry it's been so long since anyone has checked in on this thread......

Hope things are going well with you and your family and hoping all your stamping stuff gets to you soon!

Wishing everyone a safe and festive Halloween! It can be a challenging day for our kiddos but I'm sure we'll all have fun in our own special way.

Something fun in the works right now: the hospital where I volunteer at is holding a "Saturday with Santa" event in December and we will be doing an event just for special needs children. We'll be setting up a large lounge area with a Santa to take pictures with, one craft table and one small therapy dog to play with. Very low-key, no big crowds, not a lot of noise, very few strangers. Some of the aides from my son's class are coming to help. We are inviting the 3 special day classes from my son's elementary and also a support group of about 30 parents to come.

All is being done for FREE and we are hoping to get a good turnout. I know I have tried for 5 years to get a picture of DS with Santa to no avail.....too much noise, confusion, nervous energy and people at the mall to say nothing of how much those things cost now!

Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it all turns out

Hope all is well with everyone as we move into the holiday season!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #2277
Watercolor Wizard

Hey, Lorraine. We're working through getting started with ritalin in my house. Woo-hoo. What fun.

And we said we'd never medicate....

Never say never.

So far, so good.

Happy Halloween, everyone!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #2278
Matboard Maniac

Default To everyone at this site.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBlossom View Post
Hey, Lorraine. We're working through getting started with ritalin in my house. Woo-hoo. What fun.

And we said we'd never medicate....

Never say never.

So far, so good.

Happy Halloween, everyone!
Please forgive my tardiness and the fact I don't acknowledge everyone's struggles at this site.

I admire all of you so very much and remember the struggles my DS had going through school.

DS, is 19 now, and loves the Toyota T-10 program he is doing at a local community college. Who would have guessed?!

And to all of those who resisted the medication road: We did the same thing, but by the end of his senior year he put himself on Citalopram (10mg) and it has been wonderful. Very low dose but he says he can focus better and I am not having to ask him over and over again to do something. I have struggled with this, the guilt at not having done more earlier in his life, .....etc.

My DH is going through a rough patch and it has been terribly hard on me. He suffers from terrible depression as well as Asperger's but won't do anything about either. The good news is that he finally went in for a physical but we struggle with the diet he is supposed to be on (pre-diabetic as well as high blood pressure). He loves his pie and ice cream!

It is hard to stay positive all the time but have started praying about this situation as I know he depends on me so much (and I sure haven't done very well in that area).

Are any of you married to autistic men? How do you cope? Mine is an engineer who is extremely bright but struggles socially which has not made him an easy man to work with. Can anyone relate to this? I would love to hear about it.

As we go into the holidays, I pray all of you will be blessed with peace and balance. Boy, wouldn't that be great?!

Beaglelover
Old 10-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #2279
Matboard Maniac

Default Lorraine

Quote:
Hi Susan -

Things are going well.

Sophie sounds delightful! And yes, I wish she rode the bus too

We had a bday party for Jake over the weekend. We rented the pool where he takes weekly swim lessons. Wish more classmates had shown up

I invited the 8 kids from his class and the 10 kids in the 4th grade class that his class does activities with. We even included siblings in the invitations.

We booked the pool for 2 hours and it was just for us. It's an indoor heated pool and the 2 lifeguards we hired work with special needs kids. We did pizza and cupcakes (2 of Jake's favorite foods!). No decorations, balloons or goody bags. Very visually scaled down and simple. All of those details were listed on the invitation.

You'd think we would have had a pool full of kids - nope! Out of the 18 kiddos who got invitations, I heard from ONE parent whose kids couldn't make it. I had my cell phone, my sister's cell phone and my email on the invite to RSVP to. Nothing......no response from anyone.

*sigh*

A few other friends did come and swim and Jake had a blast - that's the most important thing! But still, I was so disappointed that parents didn't RSVP and that more kiddos didn't come to swim.

OK - enough grousing!!

Jake is doing well in 3rd grade so far. His class does recess with a gen-ed class and his teacher reports he's interacting great with those friends.
My heart goes out to you! The whole BD must have been frustrating. You sound like terrific parents and did the best you could. Sorry I haven't been more active at this website!
Old 10-31-2011, 12:45 PM   #2280
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Beaglelover -

Good to hear from you!

Glad to hear DS is doing well with the T-10 program - yippee!

I don't know of anyone with an autistic hubby - sorry I can't be of help with that.......

Take care and give yourelf a big {hug} from all of us