Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #2081
Pearl-ExPert

Kristin -

So good to hear from you! I had been thinking about you!

Sounds like B is doing amazing - hooray!

Congrats on keeping the awesome school open. My goodness, what a battle that sounds like! You did good

My DS likes his clothes a certain way too. The only shirts he has wanted to wear for the past 6 months are plain white t-shirts - no pockets. I look longingly at the 25 (yes, I counted!) cute t-shirts hanging in his closet and say "whatever".... who cares what shirt he wears as long as it's clean??!!

Gotta love those "didn't know anything was wrong with him" statements. Good for you with your replies!

I agree that teachers/administrators can do a better job of finding "nice" words when it comes to IEP's. Especially when our kids are rockin' in out and doing a good job with their goals.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #2082
Matboard Maniac

Hello everyone! It seems that we are all super busy as end-of-the-school-year stuff is coming to a head!

I need some help - in a good way! My son's godmother is sponsoring a benefit golf outing for Autism Awareness, with proceeds being donated to the scholarship fund at the Autism Collaborative Center where my son, Grant, receives music and speech therapy. What an amazing blessing! Part of the proceeds will go into a specific fund for Grant and part will go into a general scholarship fund to be used by other families.

Grant's godmother has asked me to help come up with a name for the outing - I was hoping to get help from you guys! She was thinking she wanted something like "Grant and Friends" and "Autism Awareness" in the name. Or, some fun play on golf terms, like slice, face, hook, drive, fade, etc. I know everyone is super busy, but if something pops in your head, please let me know - it might just be what we're looking for!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #2083
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhtwin View Post
Kristin -

So good to hear from you! I had been thinking about you!

Sounds like B is doing amazing - hooray!

Congrats on keeping the awesome school open. My goodness, what a battle that sounds like! You did good

My DS likes his clothes a certain way too. The only shirts he has wanted to wear for the past 6 months are plain white t-shirts - no pockets. I look longingly at the 25 (yes, I counted!) cute t-shirts hanging in his closet and say "whatever".... who cares what shirt he wears as long as it's clean??!!
Hi Lorraine,
You were thinking of me?! THANK YOU! That is such a lovely happy sunshiney spot in my day, to know that someone "out there" knows what it can be like "in here" and doesn't just quickly turn a blind eye to the struggley bits. Thank you!!!

B is on a 'polo shirts only' kick. Which is nice, a far cry from his 'one too-small grungey white turtle neck' phase we've been in. AND he'll even wear two different colours... not on the same shirt mind you, but now we have TWO colours that he will wear without a fight. YIPPEEEE! Still wearing ginch backwards, but whatever! lol

Hope you are well!!!
Kristin
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #2084
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by abareis View Post
Hello everyone! It seems that we are all super busy as end-of-the-school-year stuff is coming to a head!

I need some help - in a good way! My son's godmother is sponsoring a benefit golf outing for Autism Awareness, with proceeds being donated to the scholarship fund at the Autism Collaborative Center where my son, Grant, receives music and speech therapy. What an amazing blessing! Part of the proceeds will go into a specific fund for Grant and part will go into a general scholarship fund to be used by other families.

Grant's godmother has asked me to help come up with a name for the outing - I was hoping to get help from you guys! She was thinking she wanted something like "Grant and Friends" and "Autism Awareness" in the name. Or, some fun play on golf terms, like slice, face, hook, drive, fade, etc. I know everyone is super busy, but if something pops in your head, please let me know - it might just be what we're looking for!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Hi Andrea, will think on this and see if something creative comes to mind! How very awesome that your godmother would take such an active role in the autistic part of yours lives! That is really really cool!!! Tell her that Kristin in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada thinks SHE ROCKS!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #2085
Pearl-ExPert

Andrea - Ditto what Kristin said! I will put my thinking cap on and try to come up with something clever

Kristin - So good to hear back from you! The polo shirts sound better than the white turtleneck

Hugs to everyone; check in and tell us how life is going!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #2086
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Yahoo to kchase

Hello Ladies, It has been a while since I have been on this thread. Kayla is doing so well, just had her IEP meeting and everything I wanted she gets. I am very lucky. I just taped Kayla singing "old Macdonald" on video, made me smile, I remember when she couldn't even talk!!!! School has been so good for her. She also goes during the summer so she doesn't loose anything, and is a very easy transition for the next school year, and she will be in Kindergarten!!! I am so proud of her progress!!!
[url]
Old 04-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #2087
Hardware Hotshot

Oh my goodness I am SO ... stunned!!!
B showed EMPATHY to me today!!!!!! Just now!!!

I don't know if he has ever done that before? I surely don't remember!
I was sitting on the front steps and had my head in my hands, just resting a moment after a crazy-busy day. He came over, leaned against me, put his head on my shoulder... I was waiting, trying to not even breathe for fear of disrupting whatever gentle moment he was in... and he put his hands up as a visor over my eyes, "You can open your eyes now Mommy, I'n keeping de sun away."

OH MY. I was too stunned even to say anything. So I opened my eyes in obedience. And then just as quickly he walked away, "The sun's not in your eyes now..." he said as he was leaving.

I just had to share with someone who would know why I was so ecstatic!

He saw my need.
He met my need.
He used his words to state my need.
He tied it all together.

Seriously.
I'm emotionally speechless.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:07 AM   #2088
Matboard Maniac

Kristin - so exciting! What a great story. I hope there are many more to come!
Old 04-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #2089
Pearl-ExPert

Oh Kristin - that is wonderful!!!!

I got tears in my eyes as I read your post.

Great job, B!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #2090
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via Yahoo to kchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianKristin View Post

I was sitting on the front steps and had my head in my hands, just resting a moment after a crazy-busy day. He came over, leaned against me, put his head on my shoulder... I was waiting, trying to not even breathe for fear of disrupting whatever gentle moment he was in... and he put his hands up as a visor over my eyes, "You can open your eyes now Mommy, I'n keeping de sun away."

OH MY. I was too stunned even to say anything. So I opened my eyes in obedience. And then just as quickly he walked away, "The sun's not in your eyes now..." he said as he was leaving.

He saw my need.
He met my need.
He tied it all together.

Seriously.
That is awesome, so happy for you both!!!
[url]
Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #2091
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

He saw my need.
He met my need.
He tied it all together.

Seriously.
Wow - that's amazing!
Old 04-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #2092
Watercolor Wizard

Kristin,

WOW!!!!!!!!! That is so incredibly awesome!!!!!!!!!! Big hugs!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #2093
Rubber Obsessor

I'm in need of some special teacher gifts. Some will be moving from early childhood/pre-school into Kindergarten next year. The end of the school year is fast approaching and I want get the EC teachers a special gift from him. Do any of you wonderful ladies know of any good websites for autsim awareness jewelry or teacher gifts. I have even tried coming up with a short little poem that I could have engraved on a necklace for them, nothing seems to strike me though.

TIA
Old 05-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #2094
Pearl-ExPert

I've found some cute stuff on eBay - I used "autism items" as the search item.

Good Luck and how nice of you to be thinking of the teachers!
Old 05-13-2010, 05:51 AM   #2095
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Ladies,
More good reports from my home front! Hubby and I just spent a full week (without kids) in sunny California! Our first holiday in 11 years! The kids did great and the grandparents (who were super nervous) did great, too! And that's not even my good report for you!

B has been acquiring skills at a crazy-awesome rate the past few weeks. I'd say in the past 6 weeks he has mostly become a very 'typical 5 yrs old' and even better behaved (cuz all those rules have been drilled into him through therapy, a bonus the 'typical kids' don't get)! And the best part: he has started playing with other children!!!!

I am never surprised by my son. I'm a celebrator in general. But boy am I amazed every time I see him lift his eyes in acknowledgment of another child!!! As we all know and live, autism can be such a mystery. I never really made solid expectations of the goals B would achieve. I think that's why this is so ... [shaking my head, shrugging shoulders, goofy smile on my face]. YOU understand!!!

Yes, he still has random acts of intense violence. Yes, he is still struggling with social rules when encountering them for the first time. No, he's not usually successful at generalizing things. BUT at Mom's Group yesterday two different Moms commented on how 'typical kid' B seemed in the last few weeks!!!!

...and then he had a 20 minutes full-on meltdown. LOL

Such a rambling post. But... for you moms in the throws of where I have been (averaging 15 knock-down, drag-out, screaming and kicking and flailing 45+ minutes meltdowns per day) have hope! There will be moments of skills acquisition shining through. Train yourself to be a celebrator as best you can, I remember challenging myself to celebrate one moment in each day, not one minute or even 'one day at a time'. Just one moment.

And rest in the fact that you ARE the best Mommy for your child. That you can do this. That you ARE doing this!!!!!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #2096
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMBYADOPTIONx2 View Post
I'm in need of some special teacher gifts. Some will be moving from early childhood/pre-school into Kindergarten next year. The end of the school year is fast approaching and I want get the EC teachers a special gift from him. Do any of you wonderful ladies know of any good websites for autsim awareness jewelry or teacher gifts. I have even tried coming up with a short little poem that I could have engraved on a necklace for them, nothing seems to strike me though.

TIA
This is super cute and a good price point for jewellry, IMO:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/46389345...age=3&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #2097
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi kristin
It sounds like your son is doing well! It is so wonderful when our kids pick up new skills.
My DS2 is 13 and still doing that and its wonderful!!!
I hope everyone else is doing good to.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #2098
Pearl-ExPert

Kristin - thanks for the wonderful update : )

Tina - good to see you on this thread again : )

Wishing everyone a great week!
Old 05-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #2099
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Hi Ladies,
More good reports from my home front! Hubby and I just spent a full week (without kids) in sunny California! Our first holiday in 11 years! The kids did great and the grandparents (who were super nervous) did great, too! And that's not even my good report for you!

B has been acquiring skills at a crazy-awesome rate the past few weeks. I'd say in the past 6 weeks he has mostly become a very 'typical 5 yrs old' and even better behaved (cuz all those rules have been drilled into him through therapy, a bonus the 'typical kids' don't get)! And the best part: he has started playing with other children!!!!

I am never surprised by my son. I'm a celebrator in general. But boy am I amazed every time I see him lift his eyes in acknowledgment of another child!!! As we all know and live, autism can be such a mystery. I never really made solid expectations of the goals B would achieve. I think that's why this is so ... [shaking my head, shrugging shoulders, goofy smile on my face]. YOU understand!!!

Yes, he still has random acts of intense violence. Yes, he is still struggling with social rules when encountering them for the first time. No, he's not usually successful at generalizing things. BUT at Mom's Group yesterday two different Moms commented on how 'typical kid' B seemed in the last few weeks!!!!

...and then he had a 20 minutes full-on meltdown. LOL

Such a rambling post. But... for you moms in the throws of where I have been (averaging 15 knock-down, drag-out, screaming and kicking and flailing 45+ minutes meltdowns per day) have hope! There will be moments of skills acquisition shining through. Train yourself to be a celebrator as best you can, I remember challenging myself to celebrate one moment in each day, not one minute or even 'one day at a time'. Just one moment.

And rest in the fact that you ARE the best Mommy for your child. That you can do this. That you ARE doing this!!!!!
Congratulations, Kristin! Our kids sure are amazing, and I'm so glad you got a well-earned break to reconnect with your DH.

Sorry I've not been around much this month or last. Things have been hectic and I've hardly posted on this thread or my autism blog. Sigh.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #2100
Hardware Hotshot

Hey Ladies,
Can you tell me what sort of Behaviour Consultant or "team leader" type person you have? Who is in charge of your child's therapy plan? Who do you take your questions and your concerns to regarding adding or deleting therapies or changing the therapy plan?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:23 AM   #2101
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Hey Ladies,
Can you tell me what sort of Behaviour Consultant or "team leader" type person you have? Who is in charge of your child's therapy plan? Who do you take your questions and your concerns to regarding adding or deleting therapies or changing the therapy plan?
Hi Kristin - so sorry it's taken so long to reply to this! We don't really have just one person we consult. Our son's autism specialist has very strong opinions, so does his pediatrician, so does his OT, etc. So, I tend to ask everyone and then make our own plan based on everyone's input. In addition, we're very fortunate to have the Autism Collaborative Center (ACC) at Eastern Michigan University near us where Grant receives a lot of his therapy. They have a team approach (thus the "Collaborative" part), and if I ask, everyone will meet and "talk" about my son and come up with a plan. It's amazing to have so many people from varied disciplines (Music, Speech, OT, PT, Nursing, Psychology, Dietetics/Nutrition, Recreational Therapy, etc.) working together to figure out what's best for YOUR child.

It's because of the ACC that we're holding a benefit golf outing with my son being the sponsor. All proceeds will be donated to the ACC, with part being earmarked for my son and the other being put into a fund for other families needing support. And by the way, the name of the outing is "Take a Swing at Autism" - isn't that a great name!!! Just the right amount of play on words . . . dealing with golf but also aggression . . .
Old 06-11-2010, 05:41 AM   #2102
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Hey Ladies,
Hey, Kristin!

I'm Jack's team leader. Fortunately, his particular symptom set and severities do not require more complicated therapy programs (like ABA). All the experts (developmental pediatrician, child psychologists, speech therapists, special education teachers) agreed that what Jack really needed was basic therapies (speech, ot, pt) and inclusion with aides/guides/mentors. His behaviors are not severe or odd enough to warrant more intensive therapy, he wants to be social (just doesn't know how to do so appropriately), and he has good expressive language. All that really works to our advantage, as well as to his.

I email his developmental pediatrician whenever I have a question, and keep really good lines of communication open to ALL the members of his team. At home, we do normal stuff (worksheets, flash cards, etc.) that you would do with a normal child who has some learning difficulties, and we're doing all the stuff the special education teacher sent home for summer. It's painful some days, but it is MUCH better now than it was last summer.

I have a friend using the Ohio Autism Scholarship, and she is supposed to hire a team leader to coordinate everything. She's never been happy with that person or the ABA therapists she's hired to come into her home. It's tough, I think, to find a good match.

What are you doing right now? What services/help can you get in Canada through schools and government?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #2103
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry, Kristin, I have nothing to offer......I don't have a team leader for Jake. I guess I'm the leader!

I found out last week that Jake's mainstream preschool will not be able to accomodate him for another year. I had thought he would be staying one more year in his current room but due to licensing issues with the parent company, the preschool would need to transition him to their "school agers" room which would be ideal, but his special ed elementary runs on a year-round school calendar, not the traditional school calendar that his preschool runs on.

So....I've got a month to figure out before/after school care for him plus it has to cover the breaks his special ed school takes since they are year-round. I have his next IEP meeting on the 23rd and hope the school has some suggestions.

I've also called the special needs resource desk at the local YMCA childcare referral service. They have given me a list of 8 home daycares to call and interview. I had hoped to keep him in a "business" rather than a "home" daycare. While I have had great experiences with both home daycares we have used, I have also dealt with family issues, vacations, sick days, etc. that a home daycare has as opposed to a "business" that is always open when it says it will be.

I'm going to call our local Autism Society (where we belong) to see if they have any daycare listings.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #2104
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Girls!
In British Columbia the diagnosis of autism/aspergers/pdd-nos qualify for government funding. $24,000/year for 0-5 years olds and then it drops to $6,500/year when the child turns 6 as the child is now school age and the school will take care of providing any SLP, OT, etc (ha ha ha... we know that most school districts have 1 OT for the entire district, so guess how much OT advisement or OT time a child receives? guessing not enough). There are a few options for autism families: some turn their entire funding over to an autism clinic that would offer management, assessment, OT, SLP, ABA or whatever is needed. Another option is to manage your own funding though all Behaviour Interventionists get paid by the government directly (with a 2-3 month delay in their pay for processing).
Our family has done a combined approach: we are with an autism clinic that offers every support we might like, but I manage the funds and the services. For me this provides headaches as I am not a trained professional in knowing what services B needs... but it also gives me the authority to do what is best for my son as a member within this family.
I do bring all of B's team in to school IEP meetings, I do consult with other parents to keep myself in the loop as to what services I should at least consider for our son. I do wish I could just hand over the entire funding and file to someone else. And I am feeling huge pressure to use his funding appropriately because B turns 6 and the funding drops and I want to cover as many bases as possible before the opportunity (funding) passes us by. PRESSURE!!!!

See, I can't even succinctly answer because my mind is swamped with info and lacking expertise in an overview sort of way. [eye roll]
Old 06-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #2105
Matboard Maniac

Wow - I am amazed at the amount of government funding for the diagnoses of an ASD in British Columbia. That's great that you receive that!

It does, however, highlight the gross inequity in treatment options that kids with ASD, in general, are entitled to, or not, as the case may be. In my state of Michigan, there is no mandatory autism insurance coverage. In our case, my husband and I are teachers (although I'm on leave) and have health coverage through the school district. In order to get any coverage for our son's autism treatments, the district would first have to purchase mental health coverage (for the entire district), then purchase an autism rider (for the entire district), and then it would only pay for 12 weeks of Applied Behavioral Analysis, once per lifetime. It's offensive. And, our school district won't purchase those riders. So, as it is for us, our son's specialist is telling us he needs 25 hours per week of intense one-on-one therapy - without any insurance coverage, we can only afford 3 hours per week (speech, music, and play therapy) - we're already in the negative every month just to have that. It's so disheartening that we're told autism is treatable, but don't get your hopes up because you probably won't be able to afford the treatments. (BTW, he is in Early Childhood Special Ed, 10 hours a week during the school year - with 9 other special needs children. He does qualify for Extended School Year - 6 weeks of 5 hours per week during the summer).

Sorry to vent, but it's very difficult. My son still isn't talking, is still resorting to head-banging, and is still only eating 2 things. I just want him to have a fighting chance. I'm taking the Hanen More Than Words class right now, and am attending PECS training next month. I'm also trying to use Play Therapy at home with him. I'm doing all I can, while also taking care of my three other children.

OK - I feel better now that I've gotten that off my chest. Thanks, in advance, for listening
Old 06-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #2106
Watercolor Wizard

Andrea,

You have every right to vent. It's not fair how unequal treatment is from state to state, or even school district to school district. Our district is giving Jack 6 hours a week of ESY for five weeks, which is sort of pitiful, but during the school year, he gets A LOT of speech, pt, ot, an autism-classroom, inclusion time, and a one on one aide. He's so high functioning that the school believes massive intervention now will pay off in the long run, but who knows? At a neighboring district, Jack wouldn't qualify for ESY, an aide, or as much therapy. There really needs to be some standard of fairness, but where will the money come from?

Anyway, hugs to you. Vent here any time!
Old 06-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #2107
Pearl-ExPert

Oh Andrea.......{{HUGS}} to you! I took the Hanen More Than Words class and found it to be extremely helpful even though my son is verbal. I remember there were 2 couples in the class whose children were non-verbal and they said the class was helping them immensely.

You are doing the best you can and that just has to be enough! You are a good mommy trying to do what she can to help her child. Hang in there and please know that we all understand!

The whole insurance thing makes me want to scream!!!! My pathetic insurance would only cover 12 therapy sessions a year - and considering my son needed weekly OT and speech - so much for that! We paid for a private SLP for a year due to his IEP diagnosis of "speech-language delay" and she's the one who, at the end of her first year with Jake, said "I think there's more going on here than just a speech delay".....

So, at his reassessment from the school in November, it will be time to throw the "big A" on the IEP and get more of the services we need.

I'm still scrambling to find after-school care/school break care for Jake for September. It's keeping me awake at night worrying about this. I've got feelers out all over with teachers/mommies I know and trust, looking for a personal reference before I start cold-calling the list I was given from the YMCA childcare referral.

Jake does have ESY on his IEP but he still has to have somewhere to go after school and on school breaks. Plus, the one session of ESY we tried, his toileting regressed.

As I told my sister, sometimes I feel like there is a whole world of resources and help out there, but unless you know who to ask and how to ask it, no one is going to come forward and just help you out. It would be so nice if the school district would hand the parents of special needs children a big packet of info of everything our kids can get. It feels like pulling teeth to find the info I need. *sigh*

OK - now I'm done venting too!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #2108
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by abareis View Post
Wow - I am amazed at the amount of government funding for the diagnoses of an ASD in British Columbia. That's great that you receive that!

OK - I feel better now that I've gotten that off my chest. Thanks, in advance, for listening
Hi Andrea,
Thank you for sharing your frustrations and "venting" here. This is where we are safe to do it, with other moms who get it! I encourage you to try the PECS, they changed our lives so very positively for our son! The best tip I can give is to make a travelling in: I used a watchmakers aluminum tin from Lee Valley Tools (online) and had the PECS made in 1"x1" squares. There is a strip of velcro on the outside lid of the tin and all the loose PECS (velcro on the back of each) are stored in the tin. We take it everywhere with us and I quickly put his line of PECS on the strip on the lid before we leave the van at most locations. It has become almost a security blanket for B (5 yrs, verbal) and now I even notice he calms as soon as I pull the tin out of my bag. When we started this journey he was so sensory overloaded that he was limited eye contact, is OCD, and struggles with auditory and visual stimuli so would cope by falling asleep under a table at most places we went or throwing anything he could reach. PECS changed our lives.

The funding thing is a total frustration. The autism mommy support group I'm in were just talking about that at last meeting. We agreed that it should be a more sliding scale. I am a stay at home mom and have a background in child psyc, education, and am very OT intuitive so (before diagnosis and even now as we search for OT and BI and BC) have done the bulk of the work with our son. What about working parents who can't go to all the parent sessions I have? Or who aren't home to do all the 1:1 therapy I've done? Or who may not have the background or know where to start? And what about the non-autism kids who have other life affecting disabilities... what about my friend who's 4 yrs old is in a fully fitted wheelchair with zero funding? Her son needs physical care for most of his daily life... why does he not get funded? Or children with Downes Syndrome or any multitude of extra needs?

For me, being funded for our higher functioning autism child, I carry the guilt of being funding when so many others are not.

What a ridiculous system... that it is so unbalanced as to make any mom with a poop-smearing, chair throwing, hiding under tables, random punching, constant flight risk child search high and low for resources and support that *is* out there. It's so dumb.

Hang in there!!!!!
Kristin
Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 AM   #2109
Stazon Splitcoast

I have tears reading how children with autism and other disabilities cannot get funding or insurance to cover services.
I forget about these things and take for granted our program here. I feel really guilty also.
Here in Wisconsin we are one of 7 states (at least it use to be 7 states) that have a program to fund our kids medical issues including Autism or High functioning if they are 2 years behind in any area. DS2 is still covered in this program.
Wisconsin is called Katie Beckett Medicaid but each of the funded states have their own name. They do cover ABA.
The only reason we have it is when Tommy Thompson was still Governor he set it up.
It was part of his Wisconsin healthcare reform plan. When our current Governor (no I do not like him) came into office as Thompson went to DC to be Secretary - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Governor Doyle tried to stop Katie Beckett from covering ABA therapy. He said all that money a year on these kids are not worth it and he wanted to use that money elsewhere. Thompson stepped in and stopped Doyle from doing this. This is federal money and he set up the program that it stays the way it is or the Federal money will stop coming in.

There are many many families the have the mom and child move to Wisconsin and the Dad and other children stay in their home state. I have met several moms who's husbands lived in Chicago,Minnesota or Iowa and they lived in Madison to get the services for their child. You do have live here 6 months before you can apply.
Also income is not a factor in this. Just the childs needs and diagnosis are factors.

maybe you could lobby your state to get a program like this into effect. Like I said - it is Federally funded not State funded.

Also - have you checked with you county? Some offer a program that will give a grant for things needed for your child. This is how I got the PECS system. The county paid for it through a grant. They have also done things like buy a child a wheelchair, fence a yard if your child is a runner and so on. Call Easter Seals also as they use to have a type of program like this to.

Sorry I am rambling on. I pray that those who need funding can find it somewhere. Personally I think all states should mandated to cover Autism.

Last edited by meluvstampin; 06-25-2010 at 02:27 AM..
Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #2110
Pearl-ExPert

Tina - I couldn't agree with you more! I wish every state covered autism and that also the insurance companies would be more helpful.

Tina, I read about your home break-in on your card thread. {{HUGS}} to you and I hope they catch the slimy ***hole that took your stuff and left the over on. Bad karma on that person!!!!

I'm going Wednesday morning to interview a home daycare to possibly put DS in come September when he ages out of his current preschool setting. The owner was so nice on the phone and has 2 kids in her current group who are also HFA's like DS. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that her place is awesome and that I like her as much in person as I did on the phone.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:02 PM   #2111
Matboard Maniac

THANK YOU, everyone, so much. I do feel safe to vent here, but I will try not to do so too often. I am trying VERY hard to find as much joy as I can in everything, but as you all know, it is so difficult sometimes. Everyone's words of encouragement, as well as understanding of my frustrations, helps to lessen my burden. Again, thank you.

For those of you with available resources for your child's autism treatments - please do not feel guilty! Your governments/states are hopefully showing others the way it SHOULD be done. I hope your children's progress will prove how right and beneficial FOR EVERYONE it is to treat autism early, as it should be.

Kristin, I am definitely ready to use PECS. There is a 2-day training session next month a few hours away from me. It is $295.00 for parents - it's expensive, but I think it will be worth it.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:07 AM   #2112
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhtwin View Post
Tina - I couldn't agree with you more! I wish every state covered autism and that also the insurance companies would be more helpful.

Tina, I read about your home break-in on your card thread. {{HUGS}} to you and I hope they catch the slimy ***hole that took your stuff and left the over on. Bad karma on that person!!!!

I'm going Wednesday morning to interview a home daycare to possibly put DS in come September when he ages out of his current preschool setting. The owner was so nice on the phone and has 2 kids in her current group who are also HFA's like DS. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that her place is awesome and that I like her as much in person as I did on the phone.
Thank you.
We are now having a hard time with DS2. With his Autism he does not talk about his feelings. We tell him he needs to as it will cause him to go into a rage one day again.
He is also very scared. He will not sleep in his own room now unless someone sleeps in there with him.
DH is working on putting up 3 motion lights outside. His bedroom is in the back so he is comforted knowing someone would cause those lights to go off.
Our backyard is so dark at night. Anyone could stand out there and you would never see them. Until today anyway

abareis - Vent away! We are here for you. PECS is a wonderful tool to use.
DS2 used when he was little at school and then I got it for us to use. It really helped.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #2113
Cardstock Collector

Post My son

Hello I am a mother of 2...1 girl one boy... My son was recently diagnosed with asperger syndrome on top of him having adhd also, he is 7yrs old... I am new to the whole forum posting. I am trying to help him the best I can, he is on med's to help him sleep but that is it... We live in Spokane, Wa and I checked into Autism center here and they have no support groups in my area for his age, they say when he becomes a teen then they will have a support group for him...How is that help him now? I think what will be helpfull is parents and there children(autistic and there non-autistic siblings) should get together and take action of helping each other out to make a better life for our children... I don't want to cure my son, just want to make life easier for him, for him to be able to handle things that comes his way... What do you all think, good idea or not???

Hope to hear back from some of you all soon, thanks...
Old 07-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #2114
Pearl-ExPert

Welcome Jay99149!

My DS will be 7 in September and is on the spectrum. Not AS though....

Hopefully others on this thread will post also - they are wealth of knowledge!

We joined our local Autism Society branch and have met people that way through the various events they sponsor (sensory friendly movies, swim parties, etc.). Everyone who attends those things have some type of affiliation with autism.

We also belong to a mommies group through meetup.com. It is geared towards moms who work outside the home but I have met two moms in our group who also have autistic children. Plus, quite a few mommies in the group are teachers and they have been a wonderful source of information of helping me with my son.

Maybe your son's school district can offer some info on support groups? Or even the other parents in your son's class would like to get together?

We've met some nice people through our local Autism Speaks Walk event. Their kick-off meeting has lots of information regarding local companies, doctors, services that are available.

Also, try your son's doctor. They may have some info.

Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing. We care and we understand what you are dealing with!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #2115
Pearl-ExPert

My goodness - has it really been two weeks since the last posting?

I did go look at that one home daycare I mentioned on 06/25. Frankly, the place was a pit. Too chaotic, too messy and not as clean as I would prefer. There's no way I would let my son stay there. Huge disappointment since the daycare provider was great on the phone!

Went to the kickoff meeting for the Walk Now for Autism Speaks event. One of the speakers was an autistic young man who is in his second year of working towards his master's degree! Very inspirational

Hope everyone is having a safe and healthy summer
Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #2116
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi... I am a Mom to a wonderful Toddler (2 1/2 YO) boy that is being evaluated for several delays and DX's including Autism, & ADHD) from the Easter Seals due to EI program he has been in since he was 2 weeks old. My Son is on No medications but will be starting speech therapy, OT, and seeing a child development specialist to work with behavior issues within a month. I did not read thru all 53 pages before writing my message- so I really don't know what all is being discussed in this posting.

I will love to start dialog with someone that has been in my shoes. I knew something was wrong around 12 months, EI and pediatrician noticed at about 18 months but DH was not ready to hear this and hard to convince (well he is still not convinced, but he can't handle our son well either)- so we took a lengthy break with EI until our son was 26 months old, and now we have started Easter Seal's evaluations, Pediatrician Evals, and looking for the right therapists to work with Us and work with EI. I have no true family support, except DH that feels this is all a waste of time/energy/money because our son will just "outgrow" all these problems., but other then that he tries to be a good dad and husband.

Anyone that be interested in chatting with someone else in similiar shoes, feel free to PM me...

Sheena
Old 07-30-2010, 08:24 AM   #2117
Hardware Hotshot

Default [summer time blues]

Hi All,

Summer is kicking my butt with regards to my son. Yikes. His BC (behaviour consultant) wanted him in full-time summer camps and such to keep him in the practice/routine of school days. I wasn't able to find enough for full-time all summer long camps, but we have had him in 4 days/week of BI, OT, siblings group BI. I am exhausted. He is exhausted. His siblings are exhausted. Wow.

Now that we're one month into our two month summer holidays I am seeing him settle into routine a little, that's nice. I'm hoping we can enjoy this less hyper state for a few weeks before we gear up to school starting in September!

Kristin
Old 07-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #2118
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay99149 View Post
... We live in Spokane, Wa and I checked into Autism center here and they have no support groups in my area for his age, they say when he becomes a teen then they will have a support group for him...

Hope to hear back from some of you all soon, thanks...
I was recently at an Asperger/Autism conference put on by Future Horizons in Everett, WA. EXCELLENT conference, I highly recommend going to a Future Horizons event in your area... but my info for you is that I did see a booth by a univserity (I thought Washington Univ.?) that had an autism focus or department? Parents could sign up with them? Sorry I don't have specific info, but perhaps this will be a lead you can follow to finding you and your child a support group.

For the record: I think joining a support group was the BEST THING I DID for my own sanity on this journey. We're a group of moms that use the group mainly to get out of the house once a month, but being able to say "autism" and talk about my child's quirks with women who understand: priceless!!!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #2119
Hardware Hotshot

Default Future Horizons

Future Horizons > Home
Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #2120
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

He saw my need.
He met my need.
He tied it all together.

Seriously.
What a wonderful moment... I look forward to the day my Son can show Empathy, right now I can just looking forward to the day he can use his words to tell what is wrong and how he is feeling. instead of screaming and hitting something/someone.

Sheena