Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #2001
Matboard Maniac

Question for all of you whose children were in or who are currently in Early Childhood Special Education. My son is going to be joining the class full-time in January, after the winter break. They want me to bring him in each day this week, starting tomorrow, for about 1 1/2 hours each day to get him used to me not being there. Currently he has his therapy (Speech and OT) in the same place where the ECSE class in held, so he's familiar with the classrooms and the teachers. I want to make sure I'm not forgetting to send in anything that he might need or be helpful.

Also - another topic I could use advice on - my son bangs his head all the time - in frustration, when he's upset, when someone raises his voice to him, when he's afraid - he'll throw himself to the ground and start banging his head on the floor or he'll use his hands. He'll even bang his head on the wall. It's heartbreaking. We're trying several strategies, but I don't feel we're getting anywhere. Have any of you dealt with this? If so, what has helped? Have any of you had your children wear protective helmets while at school? I'm most worried that he'll do this at school when he doesn't have someone with him to help protect his head. Right now there are 6 kids in the Early Childhood Special Ed class he is joining and only 1 teacher and 2 aides (I know that they are pushing for one more aide).

Thanks for any insights and advice!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #2002
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Andrea!
We're living some parallels in our lives! Our son is transferring into public school kindergarten in January from a 3x/week Montessori private class (which was awesome but doesn't have the support he needs, plus not in our budget). I'm nervous about the transition, nervous about his safety (our guy is a runner), nervous about how much of the process is going to bite the mom in the butt when anxieties are high and stress is high and our little guy comes home and dumps it all on me. Eek!
Sorry I have no advice for the helmet use question, but I'm with you in spirit in figuring out January!
Kristin
Old 12-16-2009, 04:03 AM   #2003
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by abareis View Post
Question for all of you whose children were in or who are currently in Early Childhood Special Education. My son is going to be joining the class full-time in January, after the winter break. They want me to bring him in each day this week, starting tomorrow, for about 1 1/2 hours each day to get him used to me not being there. Currently he has his therapy (Speech and OT) in the same place where the ECSE class in held, so he's familiar with the classrooms and the teachers. I want to make sure I'm not forgetting to send in anything that he might need or be helpful.

Also - another topic I could use advice on - my son bangs his head all the time - in frustration, when he's upset, when someone raises his voice to him, when he's afraid - he'll throw himself to the ground and start banging his head on the floor or he'll use his hands. He'll even bang his head on the wall. It's heartbreaking. We're trying several strategies, but I don't feel we're getting anywhere. Have any of you dealt with this? If so, what has helped? Have any of you had your children wear protective helmets while at school? I'm most worried that he'll do this at school when he doesn't have someone with him to help protect his head. Right now there are 6 kids in the Early Childhood Special Ed class he is joining and only 1 teacher and 2 aides (I know that they are pushing for one more aide).

Thanks for any insights and advice!!
Andrea,

My son spent two years in our public preschool special ed program. The classes are inclusion classes, so typical kids were there as well. The transformation in him over two years was astonishing, and the pace has even picked up now in 1st grade because he spends half his day in a TEACCH class with a totally perfect teacher who "gets" autism.

I think it's AWESOME that your son's school is arranging for time for him to adjust to being without you. It shows that they are sensitive to the difficulty of transitions for many of our children. Sounds like you have a great program there.

Definitely ask the school what they recommend about the head banging. They have probably dealt with it before and will be very concerned about safety. Hopefully, someone here will have some advice, too.

Hugs,
Susan
Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #2004
Matboard Maniac

Susan and Kristin - thanks for your responses. Susan - it's encouraging to hear about the transformation for your son. We have seen some areas of growth and some areas of of regression in the 3 months Grant has been receiving Speech and OT through our public Early On program. The Early Childhood Special Ed class he is joining is not inclusive - only Special Ed children are there - ranging from ASD to Down's and everything in between! I truly believe everyone who works there is wonderful, I'm just worried there aren't enough people to handle the enormous needs of the kids there. Each one really needs a full-time aide! In addition to everything, my son still doesn't respond to his name and is a runner, too! UGH - there's just so much going on. It's all so overwhelming.

Thanks again - time to take a deep breath or two -
Andrea
Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #2005
Hardware Hotshot

Andrea...I'm switching tactics from "take a deep breathe" to "head in sand" to get me through the Christmas holidays. If I even think about possible reactions to Christmas gifts, and the subsequent meltdowns, I start to hyperventilate just a little. [eye roll] His new Kindergarten teacher (for January) is so sweet and included Braden in her gift-giving... his response was to "I hate books!" "I hate the stupid present!" and chuck it a few times. I was able to get him calmed and have him tell her *almost*politely "no thank you"... but I could see she felt a little crushed (as am I when he rejects my gifts, totally reasonable response as the gift-giver, imo) and I was a little embarrassed (not for his reaction but because I could feel she was a little saddened, rightly so). [deep breathe] YAY holidays. [nervous smile]

[chuckle]
Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 AM   #2006
Matboard Maniac

I have to laugh (in a fun way) . . . my son wouldn't even turn to look at someone giving him a Christmas present (low/non-existent registration) let alone open one. In fact, he's never opened a present in his life! Both at his first and second birthdays, we couldn't even get him to touch a present, let alone open it (sensory issues, I guess?)! I think I *might* even be happy if he said he hated books . . . at least he would be saying something! (Please know that I'm having fun here - not being insensitive!)
Old 12-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #2007
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Andrea! I'm chuckling along with you! Isn't it fun what we moms can celebrate? For me, it is that B is now a 'multiple gift opener' (last year we had Christmas presents, still wrapped, around the house for 1/2 a year... I either used them as potty training rewards or unwrapped them and gave them as birthday party gifts to friends). And this year I'm celebrating him actually saying, "I don't like that gift, no thank you." It's a milestone from winging the hated gift at someone's head, really! LOL
Old 12-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #2008
Pearl-ExPert

DS is indifferent to openings presents also. And I'm getting a lot of "no thank you Mommy" to things that he doesn't want to do. He certainly sounds polite but is still digging in his heels.

I did take him to the Autism Society's Christmas party last week and he had no interest in Santa. Wasn't afraid but just didn't want to bother with it all. He does love listening to Christmas music on the tv so when the holidays are over, I may play him Christmas music on a boom box.

Wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas! May your holidays be filled with love and laughter

Lorraine
Old 12-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #2009
Hardware Hotshot

Merry Christmas!!!!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #2010
Watercolor Wizard

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #2011
Cardstock Collector

My 13 year old son has Aspergers and started LD Neuro self contained class in public school three weeks ago after fighting with school for two years (long story). There are times when he is totally a different person; some days he is real sweet. Both of his teachers are very experienced with Autism and know how to deal with students who happen to have a meltdown or upset. So far, my son is doing real well in school but has a tutor in the afternoon so that the tutor gets him into routine with homework assignments. Many times he refuses to do his math homework with his tutor. I wind up getting fiesty and making him do his homework before he gets his play time.

Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy, Prosperous New Year!
Christine
Old 12-29-2009, 12:11 PM   #2012
Pearl-ExPert

I just read a bit of info about the College Internship Program - they have 4 colleges in the US that educate HFA, AS, ASD, etc. and also help with assisted living situations.

Has anyone else heard of this program?

Thanks!

Lorraine
Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #2013
Hardware Hotshot

Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #2014
Pearl-ExPert

Happy New Year!

May it be a wonderful year for all of us mommies and our fabulous kiddos

Lorraine
Old 01-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #2015
Hardware Hotshot

Hey Girls!
B had his first day of Kindergarten today!!! It was a 9 months process of working with a non-willing school board, but we now have a full-time 1:1 TA in a class with an amazing teacher. Hooray!!!! B did well, though he typically has a 2 weeks honeymoon period, and the teachers were amazing and quick to adapt and integrate my phrasing and approach into the day. It was good.

I find myself a bit... confused... now. Like, all the tears and personal needs I've been pushing off and pushing off are now finding a moment to breathe and, thus, a chink in the armour that have kept them at bay. I told a BFF that January may be a crying month, and that's okay. Sometimes it's a really good cry that just releasing all that pent-up worry/fear/frustration/chaos/emotion, kwim!?

Today is a good day. [happy sigh]
Old 01-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #2016
Pearl-ExPert

Kristin -

I'm so glad that today is a happy day for you and that B did well in kindergarten! Yay!

You are so right - a really good cry does release stress

We're gearing up for Jake's dentist appt on Friday......always a traumatic experience. Eeekk!!!

Keep us posted as to how the kindergarten is going.

Lorraine
Old 01-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #2017
Hardware Hotshot

Good luck at the dentist, Lorraine...do they give a little sedative for the child AND the Mommy?!?!? Oi. Our achilles heel is hair cuts, the dentist has a tv in the ceiling so that's the saving grace I think! Can you bring a favourite movie on an iPod for your DS to watch?

Kindergarten was a 2nd good day. I'm savouring the easy/good days and am glad for all the legwork we've invested to get to this point. Feeling blessed beyond measure and soaking it all in knowing that some days may not be so easy. [See how positive I'm spinning that?!?!? Quite frankly, I realize that historically "week 3" is the kicker for us...and is usually a two month duration.] Yay for happy 'normal' school days!!!! I am really so proud for how hard our boy is working at this!!! [proud Momma badge is glowing]
Old 01-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #2018
Pearl-ExPert

I wish they would give me a sedative at Jake's dentist I called them today and made sure they had the same 2 assistants scheduled for us since they know the routine with my little man.

They do have a tv (in the ceiling!) but he gets himself so worked up, it doesn't do any good.

Haircuts are awful for us too. Jake was supposed to go this last Saturday but the hair lady got called out on an emergency. Now I will have to wait another two weeks before we go; I never book Jake back-to-back with dentist and hair appointments in the same week....way too much stress for him and for me!

Savour your good days and pat yourself on the back for all of your hard legwork in getting B off to kindergarten. I see your momma badge glowing all the way down here in California - good job!!!

Can't wait for the Olympic Opening Ceremonies...Canada is going to rock the house, I bet!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #2019
Hardware Hotshot

It's amazing how much I'm willing to tip the hair cut lady now that we've found one who is successful at keeping B calm and getting it done quickly! lol

Hey, if you have a Wii, try the Mario 2010 Olympics game... it is SO COOL to see the venues that we've grown up with right there in Mario's world! We are very excited for the Winter Games...my kids have been decked out in Olympic apparel for years already! LOL
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 AM   #2020
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianKristin View Post
Andrea...I'm switching tactics from "take a deep breathe" to "head in sand" to get me through the Christmas holidays. If I even think about possible reactions to Christmas gifts, and the subsequent meltdowns, I start to hyperventilate just a little. [eye roll] His new Kindergarten teacher (for January) is so sweet and included Braden in her gift-giving... his response was to "I hate books!" "I hate the stupid present!" and chuck it a few times. I was able to get him calmed and have him tell her *almost*politely "no thank you"... but I could see she felt a little crushed (as am I when he rejects my gifts, totally reasonable response as the gift-giver, imo) and I was a little embarrassed (not for his reaction but because I could feel she was a little saddened, rightly so). [deep breathe] YAY holidays. [nervous smile]

[chuckle]
Hi Kristin,

I know how you feel, because I have a nephew who is autist(Aspergers). But I could encourage you a little. A lot of autists don`t like presents because of the surprise moment and that they don`t know, how they feel in this situations. My nephew had a hard time at his birthdays, til my sister and her husband changed strategie. let me list you the things that helped:
  • things get easier when they are older, knowing that Santa isn`t the one bringing presents (not a suggestion to tell him early!)
  • give him time to explore presents in his own time, some times it needs a few days to unpack them
  • it is easier if he is involved in buying/seeing his presents before the event, though that he has time to get used to it
  • my nephew is writing wish lists and gets the things he has written down
  • and last, but not least: talk with people that would give him presents before they give them to him about his difficulties. A lot of problems arise because of them feeling bad about his reaction and you feeling bad because he isn`t behave as you think he should.

My nephew is now 13, we take it easy and times for presents aren`t bad anymore. Hope I could help you a little.

My Blog

Last edited by Mona Moonlight; 01-07-2010 at 01:13 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #2021
Matboard Maniac

My son has his first IEP meeting tomorrow. What should I make sure to bring? What questions should I be sure to ask? Any other helpful tips? Thanks so much, in advance!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #2022
Hardware Hotshot

Hi Andrea! Good luck at the IEP tomorrow! Do you have anyone going with you? If not, try and find a friend you trust to take along with you... it can be a big process to sit there and have to sell your kid short in order to get the services needed. It's good to have a good friend to just be there and to help you process it all later!

I usually bring a point-form list of strengths, struggles, things we're working on/goals/phrasing. I also often bring a photo of my son. It kind of helps keep me focused (eye on the prize, I guess) and helps feel that my child is more than just a number.

You are the mom, you are the one who owns this child, knows this child, has the greatest and best interest in coaching this child foreward... take the empowerment of "I am Mom" and a smile and a tender heart.

Good luck!!!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #2023
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona Moonlight View Post
Hi Kristin,

I know how you feel, because I have a nephew who is autist(Aspergers). But I could encourage you a little. A lot of autists don`t like presents because of the surprise moment and that they don`t know, how they feel in this situations. My nephew had a hard time at his birthdays, til my sister and her husband changed strategie. let me list you the things that helped:
  • things get easier when they are older, knowing that Santa isn`t the one bringing presents (not a suggestion to tell him early!)
  • give him time to explore presents in his own time, some times it needs a few days to unpack them
  • it is easier if he is involved in buying/seeing his presents before the event, though that he has time to get used to it
  • my nephew is writing wish lists and gets the things he has written down
  • and last, but not least: talk with people that would give him presents before they give them to him about his difficulties. A lot of problems arise because of them feeling bad about his reaction and you feeling bad because he isn`t behave as you think he should.

My nephew is now 13, we take it easy and times for presents aren`t bad anymore. Hope I could help you a little.
The Christmas moment that was: Trying to get a group photo of all the grandkids in their new jammies from Grandma. Brought DS into the room, wall of people, cameras (he hates the flash) at the ready, panic, tantrum, anxiety, melting down. My sister told our just-turned-5 son "You don't deserve to be in [the family photo]!" My other sister told him, "If you can't sit nice then I'm going to take your [toy] away!" My 11 years old heard that his brother "doesn't deserve to be in the family". My mommy's-heart heard, "you don't deserve to be on this planet". [sigh]

Other than that moment, Christmas went well, was good, was enjoyable. Trying really hard to move past that yucky, sad, confusing moment. I can't even process how I feel about it. It's too... much. Am focusing on the good moments, the happy moments, the great moments of this holiday season!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 AM   #2024
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
My son has his first IEP meeting tomorrow. What should I make sure to bring? What questions should I be sure to ask? Any other helpful tips? Thanks so much, in advance!
Kristin's advice is good. I got a really good piece of advice years ago for dealing with the schools. Remember that they are the experts on education, and you are the expert on your son. Treat the teachers with respect and kindness, and it's more likely they will treat you (and your son) the same way. If you go in swinging, no good can come of it. When something isn't right for your child, however, be polite but firm. Choose fights carefully and don't forget the big picture in a hassle over details. I love Kristin's suggestion of taking a picture of your son as a focus for the meeting.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #2025
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Hi Andrea! Good luck at the IEP tomorrow! Do you have anyone going with you? If not, try and find a friend you trust to take along with you... it can be a big process to sit there and have to sell your kid short in order to get the services needed. It's good to have a good friend to just be there and to help you process it all later!

I usually bring a point-form list of strengths, struggles, things we're working on/goals/phrasing. I also often bring a photo of my son. It kind of helps keep me focused (eye on the prize, I guess) and helps feel that my child is more than just a number.

You are the mom, you are the one who owns this child, knows this child, has the greatest and best interest in coaching this child foreward... take the empowerment of "I am Mom" and a smile and a tender heart.

Good luck!!!!!
Thank you for your advice, Kristin! Luckily, my husband will be able to join me for the meeting. I have a friend watching my twins after school and I'll be bringing my son and other daughter with me - the lead teacher offered to watch them while the SLT and OT are in the meeting, and the OT has offered to watch them while the lead teacher is in the meeting. I thought that was kind. I will definitely bring the information you suggested - I'm writing it all down now - and will bring a picture too. Thanks so much.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #2026
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBlossom View Post
Kristin's advice is good. I got a really good piece of advice years ago for dealing with the schools. Remember that they are the experts on education, and you are the expert on your son. Treat the teachers with respect and kindness, and it's more likely they will treat you (and your son) the same way. If you go in swinging, no good can come of it. When something isn't right for your child, however, be polite but firm. Choose fights carefully and don't forget the big picture in a hassle over details. I love Kristin's suggestion of taking a picture of your son as a focus for the meeting.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.
Interestingly enough, my son's lead teacher is someone I taught with for 10 years before going on leave from teaching. We taught at the middle school together and now she is the lead Special Ed teacher for Early Childhood. I feel fortunate to already have a personal relationship with her. I'm sure that can help is some areas and perhaps hinder in some, but at least that personal relationship is already there.

I'm a big believer in "choosing your battles" carefully - that's good advice to remember. Thanks so much and I'll be sure to post how it goes.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 AM   #2027
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
The Christmas moment that was: Trying to get a group photo of all the grandkids in their new jammies from Grandma. Brought DS into the room, wall of people, cameras (he hates the flash) at the ready, panic, tantrum, anxiety, melting down. My sister told our just-turned-5 son "You don't deserve to be in [the family photo]!" My other sister told him, "If you can't sit nice then I'm going to take your [toy] away!" My 11 years old heard that his brother "doesn't deserve to be in the family". My mommy's-heart heard, "you don't deserve to be on this planet". [sigh]

Other than that moment, Christmas went well, was good, was enjoyable. Trying really hard to move past that yucky, sad, confusing moment. I can't even process how I feel about it. It's too... much. Am focusing on the good moments, the happy moments, the great moments of this holiday season!
Wow. I'm so sorry you and your family had to hear those words. I don't want to offend, but there's no excuse for those words to be spoken to a young child, especially one suffering from a neurological disorder! I hope you received an apology.

I am already tired of people (luckily not my family members) thinking we've raised bratty kids . . . but you know, they are the ones with the skewed outlook. They are the ones who need to learn something from our children. They are the ones who need to adjust their gaze toward life and especially our children. We just need to keep trying to help them understand. Best of luck to you.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #2028
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for the kind words, Andrea. What's that saying about it taking 100 positives to outweigh 1 negative... you've done me a great service with your words!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #2029
Hardware Hotshot

Andrea...how'd the IEP go???
Old 01-14-2010, 02:15 AM   #2030
Cardstock Collector

My son has finally started school almost all day this week and will start full day next week. He is doing okay, but the problem with him is that he does not want to stay on task for a reason. He is trying to avoid something that he doesn't want to do.

For IEP meetings, my Autism advocate (each state should have Autism Society - call one and request one, that's what I did last year) always comes to the meeting. And also my mother comes too to listen.

Tonight, I am going to a workshop called PRIDE at the church where I go to. The workshop is 6 weeks long so I hope to learn a lot from it and help my son anyway I can.

Christine
Old 01-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #2031
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Andrea...how'd the IEP go???
Thanks for asking! I guess it went well?! It's hard to say. It's the first time being on the parent end of an IEP meeting. Overall, I felt the people working with my son have a lot of love and concern for him. Yet, I'm not sure how equipped they are to deal with his autism and resulting behaviors/etc . . . does that make sense?

I don't have a copy of the IEP yet - should be getting it today - and I'll share some of his goals . . . maybe everyone here can tell me if these are good goals or not. It's hard to break everything down into simple goals when everything is so complex.

Things are really tough at home right now. No language, lots of screaming/crying . . . I feel like I have one very unhappy, frustrated little boy and I don't know how to help him. Maybe we're in the "in gets worse before it gets better" stage. I sure hope so.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #2032
Pearl-ExPert

Hang in there Andrea! I know what you mean about wondering if the people who are working with your son are equipped to deal with his autism....but I would say let them work their magic. They deal with kids like ours as their profession and we all know that teachers don't get paid near enough money for what they do so we know they're not in it for the pay!!

Please do share some of the IEP goals; we'd love to help you with feedback.

Lorraine
Old 01-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #2033
Matboard Maniac

OK - here are my son's IEP goals:

Measurable Annual Goal: He will communicate intent.
Short-Term Objectives: He will gain attention of the person he is speaking with (haha, he doesn't talk yet!) He will indicate a negative response by verbalizing in a "socially acceptable" manner.

Measurable Annual Goal: He will exhibit age and grade appropriate classroom behaviors.
Short-Term Objectives: He will remain in classroom seat for designated period of time during instruction. He will look and listen during discussions.

Measurable Annual Goal: He will decrease his sensory avoiding behaviors to increase learning opportunities.
Short-Term Objectives: He will explore tactile media with his hands such as playdoh, shaving cream and glue with minimal resistance. He will lick, smell and taste many food items during group snack time.

Measurable Annual Goal: He will improve his ability to maintain attention without frustration.
Short-Term Objectives: He will make all transitions without a negative response. He will participate in various art and academic activities for 5-10 minutes.

Sorry for the long list. Thanks so much in advance for reading them and any feedback you can provide. I have no idea if these are good or not!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #2034
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Andrea -

All of those goals sound reasonable and will be attainable in time

It's good they are broken down into short-term objective and measurable annual goal.

So now the work begins on getting to the short-term objectives....once things have been identified, it's easier to start implementing the lessons and therapies that will help your son.

Keep us posted as to how things are progressing - we care!!

Lorraine
Old 01-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #2035
Watercolor Wizard

Andrea,

Sounds good. Now to see how it goes. It's truly amazing what good teachers and aides can accomplish.

Also, I hope the home behavior is improving, too. I find that often behavior deteriorates right before or coincident with a surge in development in some specific area (such as expressive language or reading or fine motor). Hopefully his frustration is a result of his brain maturing and developing!

Hugs,
Susan
Old 01-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #2036
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraphappy09 View Post
My son has finally started school almost all day this week and will start full day next week. He is doing okay, but the problem with him is that he does not want to stay on task for a reason. He is trying to avoid something that he doesn't want to do.

For IEP meetings, my Autism advocate (each state should have Autism Society - call one and request one, that's what I did last year) always comes to the meeting. And also my mother comes too to listen.

Tonight, I am going to a workshop called PRIDE at the church where I go to. The workshop is 6 weeks long so I hope to learn a lot from it and help my son anyway I can.

Christine
Sorry I haven't been around this week. Christine, let us know more about PRIDE if you get a chance. I've never heard of it before.

TIA,
Susan
Old 01-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #2037
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
OK - here are my son's IEP goals:

Measurable Annual Goal: He will communicate intent.
Short-Term Objectives: He will gain attention of the person he is speaking with (haha, he doesn't talk yet!) He will indicate a negative response by verbalizing in a "socially acceptable" manner.

Measurable Annual Goal: He will exhibit age and grade appropriate classroom behaviors.
Short-Term Objectives: He will remain in classroom seat for designated period of time during instruction. He will look and listen during discussions.

Measurable Annual Goal: He will decrease his sensory avoiding behaviors to increase learning opportunities.
Short-Term Objectives: He will explore tactile media with his hands such as playdoh, shaving cream and glue with minimal resistance. He will lick, smell and taste many food items during group snack time.

Measurable Annual Goal: He will improve his ability to maintain attention without frustration.
Short-Term Objectives: He will make all transitions without a negative response. He will participate in various art and academic activities for 5-10 minutes.

Sorry for the long list. Thanks so much in advance for reading them and any feedback you can provide. I have no idea if these are good or not!

These goals sound good, well thought out and attainable in the little short-term bits. I love that your son is allowed to lick or smell or taste his food items... that's awesome, open to celebrating all successes is key to me!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:32 AM   #2038
Stazon Splitcoast

The IEP looks really good. I try to push to have as many things included as I can.
The charter school DS2 is now has a spec ed that is very knowledgeable in Autism as she herself has an autistic child in her family and I found it has made things better and easier to get things included in the IEP.
I am really glad you have an advocate that comes with you. It really helps.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #2039
Matboard Maniac

THANK YOU to everyone for your responses. It really helps to have your feedback, knowing you truly understand what's happening with me, my son and my family.

Susan - I appreciate your explanation about the possible causes of my son's frustration. It helps to think of it in that way. Hopefully, we'll see the gains in other areas or just trust that it's happening even if we can't see it.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #2040
Watercolor Wizard

For those of you dealing with small children on the spectrum, I have a very happy report on my 7 year old, who was diagnosed 3.5 years ago. Since then, he's had private PT/OT/ST through our children's hospital and special education services with PT/OT/ST at school, too. When he was in preschool and kindergarten, he attended public school as well as a typical church-based preschool with AWESOME teachers who totally "got" him. This way, he essentially had all-day school most days of the week. This year, he started first grade with half-day in a TEACCH classroom (autism only) and half-day in an inclusion class.

It's all paying off. I am weepy with joy right now, and I truly wish I'd had a crystal ball 3.5 years ago to be able to SEE, really SEE, how it was all working. We get so caught in the day to day of dealing with autism, the self-doubt, the "am I doing enough/the right thing/too much?" questioning.

Jack isn't "recovered" by a long shot, and he's still got major challenges, but Oh. My. God. I finally really SEE it working, SEE my boy starting to plug into the world. You can read details on my blog HERE.

So if you're where I was 3.5 years ago, know that it will get better. Just keep at it, keep loving, and believe.