Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2007, 06:31 PM   #641
Stazon Splitcoast

Lori,
Your awareness stamp ideas gave me a laugh. As far laughing instead of crying - all the time. Can't help it. "Hahaha" is just so much more fun than "boohoo".
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #642
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to SunshineMama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mama

What would YOU put on an autism awareness stamp?
Haha! Lori, I can SO relate!

My stamps would have a row of bug jars. All sorts of containers with lids with at least 20 bugs in each. (My Zach caught 67 flies on Saturday and proceeded to bring about 30 of them with him to the church supper on Sunday.) Another one would be of a boy standing on the last step with a conversation balloon that says, "Can I come down? Can I come down? Can I come down? CAN I COME DOWN?" Another one would be of a boy standing with his knees together and his hand over his "package" yelling "I have to go pee pee!" (he won't go unless we acknowledge him yelling this at us). And there would definitely have to be a word stamp that says, "Please take your hand out of your pants and go wash your hands."

Old 04-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #643
Duchess of Dork

Ladies, thanks for laughing with me. Oh, Erika, yours made me LOL! My word stamps would say, "Is this the fork you gave me? Is this the cup you gave me? Is this the spoon you gave me? Did anyone eat off of this?" Or a wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, because she has to say it long & drawn out like that before telling us a story or answer! And the big one (remember I also have a child with ADHD) for both my kids would be a BIG word stamp that says, "FOCUS!!!!"

My kids are sleeping over at some friends' house tonight. Her kids are actually somewhat wilder than mine, so I can only imagine what shape they'll be in when I get them tomorrow!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:19 PM   #644
Stazon Splitcoast

I had a really bad day at my son's doctor's appointment (developmental pediatrician). I stamped for therapy! Can anyone relate to this?

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...e=all&way=desc
Old 04-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #645
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen70
I had a really bad day at my son's doctor's appointment (developmental pediatrician). I stamped for therapy! Can anyone relate to this?

I totally CAN relate to that! Hope tomorrow is a MUCH better day!

Old 04-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #646
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via MSN to mkgmt

How about a stamp of a boy hugging his mother so hard that she can hardly breathe?

You know, as crazy as DS drives me at times, I think he is happy. He is enjoying his life, as busy as it has become. I can feel good about that.

I have listened to the suggestions here about DS and writing essays and am looking into buying "Dragon Naturally Speaking 9" which is a voice recognition program. I spoke to the therapist at the Autism Center and she believes that this might help my son write his papers. Anyone have experience with these type of programs?

Also, is anyone using nasal oxytocin? DS was on it for a month, then he left it at his sister's house (8 hours away). We just got some more today and were surprised at the difference it seemed to make. He got louder and less focused. Not so sure that this is a permanent effect, and definitely not the desired one! LOL We are going to call the doctor tomorrrow and see if we need a lesser dose.
Melinda
Old 04-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #647
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgmt
How about a stamp of a boy hugging his mother so hard that she can hardly breathe?

You know, as crazy as DS drives me at times, I think he is happy. He is enjoying his life, as busy as it has become. I can feel good about that.

I have listened to the suggestions here about DS and writing essays and am looking into buying "Dragon Naturally Speaking 9" which is a voice recognition program. I spoke to the therapist at the Autism Center and she believes that this might help my son write his papers. Anyone have experience with these type of programs?

Also, is anyone using nasal oxytocin? DS was on it for a month, then he left it at his sister's house (8 hours away). We just got some more today and were surprised at the difference it seemed to make. He got louder and less focused. Not so sure that this is a permanent effect, and definitely not the desired one! LOL We are going to call the doctor tomorrrow and see if we need a lesser dose.
Melinda
Melinda, that is so sweet that he hugs you like that! That is how dd hugs NOW, but we had to teach her how to hug.

My dh (suspected AS) installed voice recognition (a free sample, I'm sure, he's a geeky guy) and has played some with it. I think it is ideal if your ds is having a hard time typing it all & can get his thoughts down, then maybe you can help him organize the thoughts. I hear that they think in pictures, so too bad you can't just take snapshots of what he's thinking!

Never heard of nasal oxytocin. Hope those effects go away soon!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #648
Duchess of Dork

Has anyone used zoloft with your kids? My OCD/ADHD dd uses it & wow, what a difference. We tried strattera (I won't do any stimulants with my underweight AS dd) but it just put her to sleep. So, we are using a microsize amount of zoloft (12.5---half of the 25--is it mg? I can't remember!). She has been SUPER happy & kind of hyper here & at the store, but much more alert. 2 of my friends said she was especially interactive on Friday night at a girl scout event. They both noticed the exact same things & didn't know she was on the new med!

Anyway, wondered if any of you have seen success with this. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2007, 02:54 AM   #649
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Just have to share!!!

Our 13 year old DS (autistic) finally participated in our church palm Sunday play!!!! His 9YO brother helped him by feeding him the lines, but he sang along with everyone else and acted appropriately (stayed where he was supposed to, sang, talked etc... when he was supposed to). I am so incredibly proud of my two boys!!! This is the first time we have thought he might be able to have a small part, but it turned into a bigger one and he handled it beautifully!!! My younger son is always so helpful with him, he tells me that when he gets older he wants to be his aide at school and then when he moves out Brendan can live with him so he can take care of him! We have never even implied that he will be responsible for him!
Just had to brag at a huge accomplishment for my son!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:21 AM   #650
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via MSN to mkgmt

Abmurray,
What a wonderful accomplishment for your sons! You are doing a great job providing opportunities for growth for both of your boys.

Chef Mama,
DS used zoloft a long time ago. We were operating under a wrong diagnosis at that time. I am not sure how well it worked because DS was taking so many meds that he was "zombified". It wasn't a good fit for him, but then he may not have been on the proper dosage.
Melinda
Old 04-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #651
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Boy, do I ever! We had a dentist appointment on Monday and I walked out feeling the same way. He goes to a pediatric Dentist that handles alot of special needs kids so you think they would be a little more understanding. I asked them if they would not let him get wound up and bring him right back out to me after he had his teeth cleaned. The let him stay back and play out of control while his siblings were getting done. I had to ask if he was done. He bounced the rest of the day and has not slept in 2 days now....

Ann, that is so great that you boys work so well together! What a comfort that must be to you. My little guy totally defies his brothers, hopefuly some day!

My stamp would say "Please stop it." with a smile, or an adult hand covering both of his little hands. When we are sitting he wants to have his hands one on top of another and my hand on top of them. He acts like he hates it and fights but acts up until I do it. Does that make any sense????
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Old 04-04-2007, 06:00 AM   #652
kim
Rubber Obsessor

My DS (12 1/2) was diagnosed with Aspergers and has anxiety and depression that can go with it. He started on a very small dose of Zoloft and is now at 50 mg. He is really doing well with it and seems to be a much happier kid. He always was a very happy kid until about 4-5th grade. He was reading print at 2 and books at 3 1/2. Academically he has always been at the top of his class too. But this year in 7th grade the teachers started thinking that he had Asperger's. We had him tested and found that the teachers were right. He has such a hard time with social cues. We've always known this and are exhausted from teaching and reteaching and reteaching and reteaching him stuff he needs to know and understand.

We now know why he hated the Amelia Bedelia books the Kindergarten teacher read to the class. That was just something we didn't understand. But we didn't know anything about AS and that AS kids can have a hard time with literal interpretations.

I'm not doing well with all of this and have turned into a complete wreck. I am afraid to let anyone know that he has AS. We finally told our parents, and found them to be supportive.

Looking back we have found that many things make sense now with this diagnosis. We understand his intense obsession with trains when he was four and stuff like that.

I'm just now dealing well with this. Thanks for listening.

Kim
Splitcoast member #593

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12
Old 04-04-2007, 06:02 AM   #653
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to let you know that I've gone public with my Autism Blog if you'd like to keep up with us:

http://zachsworld.typepad.com/autism/

I have some posts that I want to move over there from my personal journal (I've been journaling our journey from when Zach was a baby) in the hopes that people will be helped by it.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:19 AM   #654
Gallery Gazer

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!
Send a message via MSN to emmiestamps

Quote:

I can relate, today will be better!
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 04-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #655
Pearl-ExPert

Thought you all might find this interesting (though I just posted it all on my Zach's World blog)......there's a giveaway each week for over $500 worth of books on Autism and a free webinar that is going on April 18th......over at Brookes Publishing:

http://www.brookespublishing.com/

Old 04-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #656
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim
My DS (12 1/2) was diagnosed with Aspergers and has anxiety and depression that can go with it. He started on a very small dose of Zoloft and is now at 50 mg. He is really doing well with it and seems to be a much happier kid. He always was a very happy kid until about 4-5th grade. He was reading print at 2 and books at 3 1/2. Academically he has always been at the top of his class too. But this year in 7th grade the teachers started thinking that he had Asperger's. We had him tested and found that the teachers were right. He has such a hard time with social cues. We've always known this and are exhausted from teaching and reteaching and reteaching and reteaching him stuff he needs to know and understand.

We now know why he hated the Amelia Bedelia books the Kindergarten teacher read to the class. That was just something we didn't understand. But we didn't know anything about AS and that AS kids can have a hard time with literal interpretations.

I'm not doing well with all of this and have turned into a complete wreck. I am afraid to let anyone know that he has AS. We finally told our parents, and found them to be supportive.

Looking back we have found that many things make sense now with this diagnosis. We understand his intense obsession with trains when he was four and stuff like that.

I'm just now dealing well with this. Thanks for listening.

Kim
I feel for you! (((((HUGS))))) It took me awhile to deal with the diagnosis too, but now I am so glad that I know why my son does certain things and how to deal with it. I get more frustrated with my other two because I have a harder time trying to figure out their behaviour!!! You may be suprised at how supportive people can be when they know that he is AS. I find that when people don't know the DX they are more judgemental about the child's behaviour and how the parent deals with it. I tell as many people as I can so more people are aware of this. Please, I hope you don't feel guilty about your son, embrace him for who he is and appreciate what he has taught you about caring and compassion-not everyone gets that chance! My prayers are with you.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #657
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmurray
Our 13 year old DS (autistic) finally participated in our church palm Sunday play!!!! His 9YO brother helped him by feeding him the lines, but he sang along with everyone else and acted appropriately (stayed where he was supposed to, sang, talked etc... when he was supposed to). I am so incredibly proud of my two boys!!! This is the first time we have thought he might be able to have a small part, but it turned into a bigger one and he handled it beautifully!!! My younger son is always so helpful with him, he tells me that when he gets older he wants to be his aide at school and then when he moves out Brendan can live with him so he can take care of him! We have never even implied that he will be responsible for him!
Aww! That is so cool!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #658
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiestamps
I can relate, today will be better!
It was a better day.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #659
Watercolor Wizard

Hi Ladies, I guess it's time I joined in. I haven't before because I wasn't sure I belonged here. My son was diagnosed with Sensory Integration Dysfunction back when he was about 2 1/2. They call it something different now, right?

Because of the early intervention program, DS had an OT who came for a while who was also a feeding specialist. His OT mentioned auditory processing issues. He attended special ed. preschool for 2 years.
I took him to a developmental pediatrician who 'ruled out autism' when he was 4. I'm not quite sure how that works, because I was under the understanding that SID was on the austism spectrum. That developmental pediatrician was supposed to be one of the top doctors in our area, but honestly, he was kind of a jerk. He talked more about his own son, who has no problems, than our son during our appointments. It was really strange. We decided after a few appts. that it wasn't worth returning.

DS is now 5 and is in regular classroom in kindergarten. At the end up preschool they said he "tested out" of all his special ed. services. This was kind of a relief because we figured it meant he'd outgrown or at least learned to deal with his issues.

Lately, I'm becoming more concerned that all is not well. I suspect there is more going on with the auditory processing stuff. He seems to understand what we say, but I find myself telling him the same stuff over and over again. It's hard to tell if it's an understanding problem, impulse control, or just bad behavior. Every time I tell him not to do something, like throw rocks at his little brother, he acts like it's the first time I've ever told him that.

I had a hard time getting him tested and diagnosed before because I didn't understand the whole process. Now I'm even more confused. If he's "tested out" of everything according to the school, where can I turn for help?

His symptoms seem so minor compared to those other kids struggle with that I think it's easy for him to slide under the wire and go unnoticed. He does really well at school and has only had a few behavior issues. He's learning to read and do math at an advanced level, but socially, I think he struggles.

Any ideas for me? How do I go about having him re-evaluated? Do I try to go through his school or do I talk to his pediatrician, or is there some other way I'm not aware of?

I figured I'd ask here because some of you seem very familiar with the whole process.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #660
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlicorice

Any ideas for me? How do I go about having him re-evaluated? Do I try to go through his school or do I talk to his pediatrician, or is there some other way I'm not aware of?

I figured I'd ask here because some of you seem very familiar with the whole process.

Natalie-

If you think that your child needs more help, then you know better than the teachers. You're the one that knows your child the best. Trust your "mother's intuition" and don't be afraid to get another evaluation. If the school says he's tested out and you think there's still something that isn't quite right, then you are probably right. And if the school is the one telling you he's tested out, then talk to your doctor. The school is just going to tell you the same thing, most likely. Talk to your doctor and tell him your concerns. Ask him if he can refer you to the CDC (Child Development Clinic) to get a second opinion and reevaluation. Just keep pushing your doctor until you get where you need to be. They are usually the next best advocates for our children, after us.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #661
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: My personal view of Diamond Head (from my backyard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMama
Natalie-

If you think that your child needs more help, then you know better than the teachers. You're the one that knows your child the best. Trust your "mother's intuition" and don't be afraid to get another evaluation. If the school says he's tested out and you think there's still something that isn't quite right, then you are probably right. And if the school is the one telling you he's tested out, then talk to your doctor. The school is just going to tell you the same thing, most likely. Talk to your doctor and tell him your concerns. Ask him if he can refer you to the CDC (Child Development Clinic) to get a second opinion and reevaluation. Just keep pushing your doctor until you get where you need to be. They are usually the next best advocates for our children, after us.
Well said! The school cannot dx, only provide services. If you have a dx from the Dr then you have something and someone to back you up when you go to the school. We've had several Dr.'s write things for us to the school. You need to find a specialist that you are comfortable with. Don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion or change dr. Really, they won't be offended and you need to trust them and establish a good relationship for your child's sake and your peace of mind!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #662
Duchess of Dork

Ladies, I'm enjoying reading the posts by all of you!

Now, I am wondering if any of you have experienced this. DD started taking zoloft (mentioned earlier) & now she is clearing her throat ALL the time. It is SO annoying! I don't know if she is truly needing to clear her throat or if we have created a tic (is it tick?). I have a really bad sore throat with lots of drainage & when I ask her she says it "might be" congestion. I'm going to try some decongestant & see if it helps any. UGH!
Old 04-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #663
Kookie Creator

I was just laughing over some of the stamp ideas you ladies have! My word stamp would be 'quiet hands'. It's the one thing we can say to ds that will get him to sit still with hands in his lap. Works for walking through stores with glass, etc too. Also, a stamp with any phrase repeated at least 5 times - for instance: 'time to go, time to go, time to go, time to go, time to go ....

Jen, sorry to hear you had a rough day at the Dr. Been there, done that! I hope the rest of the week is much better for you!

Abmurry - Wow!! How wonderful to hear about your ds accomplishment at church! You must be soooo proud!

And Erika, thanks so much for the link to Brookes Publishing! What a wonderful way to celebrate Autism Awareness month - with a library giveaway!

{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}} to everyone!!

My gallery
Old 04-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #664
Stampin' Fool

Hi Everyone, just thinking of you all because I just watched the Oprah Autism show and tonight there's more autism coverage on ABC News. Oprah said that families affected by autism are very courageous and I couldn't agree more. Here's to all of you ladies out there! Cheers!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #665
Stazon Splitcoast

I saw the promo for Oprah on this morning during the news. I had a migraine bad this afternoon so I set the VCR to tape it. I hope I get a chance sometime this weekend watch. It sounded pretty good!
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #666
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmurray
I kept meaning to comment like this, but alas the ADD & being over 40 have taken their toll on my brain! This is GREAT! Those "little" things that people take for granted are HUGE! Big hugs---or at least planned, gentle hugs, to your son!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #667
Duchess of Dork

2 things before bed: Do any of you have kids who might become overwhelmed this weekend with Easter Activities? I'm sure some of you will be going to church & it's always SO much fuller on Easter Sunday. Wondering what you might be doing to help them prepare for this. For those who don't mind prayers, I'll pray all goes well!

We went to Disney on Ice tonight with the girl scouts. Bethany (10, AS) sat next to her good friend (11, OCD/ADHD/LIKELY AS or HFA), but not next to me. I was with wild child who didn't even want to be there to begin with, so it was miserable for both of us. Anyway, towards the end of the show, they had some real fire on the ice, then fireworks. It didn't hit me til the first firework that this might freak out Bethany, so I looked over & asked, "Are you okay?" She looked a bit frightened but being 10, gave me that, "MOTHER!" look like, "Don't embarrass me!" It's nice to know that she understands embarrassment finally! She handled it pretty well. However, we (girl scouts) got to stay & had a "clinic" afterward. I had told her that they would show us how they do the show. All it amounted to was a lady telling us about the lights, props, sound, and then 4 skaters doing 2 steps each. REally a let down for what we thought it was. Then, Bethany thought they'd come out & sign autographs. She SO badly wanted Ariel's autograph. And, for some reason, she thought we were going backstage. We got up to leave & she said, "Come on, let's go backstage now." She started to cry when I told her we weren't going backstage. To make it worse, I took NO cash b/c I didn't want to buy anything at those outrageous prices (programs were $20 & snowcones were $10, in a plastic souveneir cup, OF COURSE---LOL!). You would have thought the world had fallen in on her. THen i was dealing with wild child who didn't want to go home with the people we came with b/c she has a grudge against the 11 year old, the one that is Bethany's best friend. She's said ugly things to this girl before & the mom is super sensitive, so I was trying to keep Natalie from saying things outloud so Mom wouldn't hear it. I'm just glad it's over.

When we got home, Natalie calmed down & said she liked some of it. Even though "princesses are stupid." (not allowed in this house, so she didn't use those words THIS time). Bethany told Daddy ALL about it! THAT was cool!

Oh, Natalie is still telling us that WASN'T real fire on the ice. Anyone need an 8 year old sassy mouthed girl to be a companion for a day? She isn't autistic & can communicate really well! She can even do dishes! It's just a loaner, you don't have to keep her! LOL!

Sorry to be so long, but writing that made me think of something funny Bethany did. One day some friends were over & the girls were plotting to have Natalie go spend the night. As soon as they mentioned it to the girls' mom, Bethany said, "I'll go get her suitcase!" It was SO funny. My friend said, "Bethany, you're a little TOO eager!"
Old 04-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #668
Polyshrink Goddess

I"m going to go ahead and try to post right now even though I can hardly see. I've spent the last two hours reading posts in this thread and balling my eyes out. Still doing it.

I came across your thread in a round-about way starting with the Dork Sisters adn, Lori, let me just say, your *chance* posting about the GF cookies for the funeral may have been one of my life's biggest blessings!

I'm still balling b/c I can relate to so much of what you guys have posted adn so many people who have seen my DS *in action* just think that he has *major issues.* I know the intense obsession--superheroes of all kinds, Pekemon cards, collecting anything he can get away with. I know the major meltdowns, and the *having other plans for his day,* and the overstimulation whenever he is with more than one other child or out in public.

We've had one Dr dx him with ODD--oppositional defiance disorder, but none of the *tried and true* disciplinary measures for that have worked with him. Jack (my DS#1) can't seem to *tap into* any of his emotions other than anger. He has demonstrated most others just not in a *normal* way. And empathy--forget about it!!! He just turned 6 on thrsday and his 2yr old bro has more capability for empathy and compassion than he does.

Just this evening I had this conversation with Jack:

Me: (not sure why I asked this) Do you know what you did that got you into trouble?
Jack: No.
Me: Did you throw the toy at me?
Jack: yes.
Me: Is that against the rules in our house?
Jack: Yes.
Me: And did you go get the toy I had taken away from you without my permission?
Jack: Yes! But I didn't do anything WRONG!!!!

Ahhhhh!!!!!!! Our daily lives function, or many days don't *function*, like this! I was in tears earlier tonight with DH b/c I'm at my wits ends. No one seemed to understand what we are dealing with in Jack and my MIL just seems to think I have no disciplinary skills whatsoever.

Ladies, PLEASE, how do I find help? I've broken down in the Peds office before just b/c she how things were going with Jack, but I haven't gone into a lot of details b/c I figured she would think I just can't handle my child. But she is the only who knew exactly what was *wrong* before he wsa dx'd with Celiac disease too.

Do I talk to his reg Ped or do we need to see a Psychologist. I quit work to stay home shortly after Jack kicked a daycare teacher in the head (not one of his typical shcool behaviors), so we haven't seen a spychologist yet b/c money can be tight.

okay, I'm just rambling now, but seriously, any PMs or emails or posts here, anything would be so wonderful.

Gotta go blow agian--my nose
Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #669
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by themrs
I don't even know where to begin....
Keelin, my 3 year old, is going to cause me to loose my mind. She will not go to bed at night anymore and was up unil aobut 11p last night, we had to wake her up early to take my Dh to the airport (2 1/2 hours round trip). So this probably was not a good start of the day for her. She wanted a jam sandwich, but I guess I didn't make it right and she screamed at me and threw it on the floor. I put her in a time out and she peed all over the floor (she does this on purpose as soon as she gets in her *naughty spot*) I was tired of hearing all her screaming - and just stressed anyway, so I spanked her. She is raging so bad that she is actually trying to bite her teeth through the skin on her leg and screming "I want my leg off!!" Then she runs wild slamming doors and just screming so bad that the neighbors must think she is being tortured and killed over here. She does this over everything, all day long. I may not have any official diagnosis for her, but I'm telling you this child is not normal and I don't know what to do!! I feel like just crying.
Does anyone else have kids that have meltdowns this bad?

I know this is a really old post, but I wanted to let you know I'm there with DS #1 now. It's 3 am here and I'm still reading thru posts, more slowly now. Your DD's behavior sounds like what we deal with daily. Since its been a year now, does it get any better (my son is 6 BTW) or have you found better ways to deal with it?
Old 04-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #670
Stazon Splitcoast

Tammy Jo my heart goes out to you. We didn't get a DX until my son was 4 and in the autism game that is pretty late. I think you have found the perfect thread to find understanding for what you are going through. We have all been there in some way or another. My only advise to you is to persist with your pediatrician and maybe ask for a referral to psychologist or psychiatrist. Getting the right diagnosis is so important as that will determine what services you will get. I assume you are in the US (I am in Canada so the rules are different), but it really does sound more like autism. Do your research and be as honest with the doctor about your son. It makes it hard for the doctor who has probably never met your son before and to make a DX in the short time they do spend with them. If there is an autism society in your area call and talk to them, I am sure they might even be able to recommend a doctor that has experience with autism. I have heard from other parents who have had to fight to get a proper diagnosis-I hope that won't be the case with you. Look into ABA therapy, the basic principle is to break a task down into smaller bits so it is easier for them to learn. Behaviours are no exception. Social stories helped tremendously for us when my son was younger. Do a search for Carol Grey and social stories and you will be able to find lots of information. Does your son read? We used to use picture symbols along with the words in the social stories. If you want any more information on pic symbols, social stories or ABA let me know I would be happy to send you the information. I am glad that you feel free to vent here and ask questions. This thread sometimes goes awhile before someone posts, but I am sure if you post a question someone will answer you. Keep your chin up and know that it will get better! ((((HUGS))))).
Ann
Old 04-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #671
Stazon Splitcoast

Tammy Jo, WELCOME! This thread is such a comfort and help to me and I'm sure it will be to you too. There is more information here from people who are living it then I ever got in any of the books I've been wading through.

For us we had to go to a Ped. Neurologist for our DX. It was such a relief to hear her say there was something wrong. We had lived 2 years being told oh, he is just a normal boy! I had 4 other sons who never did the things this DS does. At least now we have more of an understanding to go day by day. Keep pushing until you find a DR. you are comfortable with who will listen.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Old 04-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #672
Duchess of Dork

Tammy Jo, hugs!!! When you mentioned you were going to see if Nitrates were causing issues along with the Gluten, I IMMEDIATELY thought, "I wonder if he has autism," though you hadn't mentioned it. It's just that so many kids with developmental issues seem to also have food issues. Not that changing diets "heals" the child of autism or PDD, but for SOME it can make a difference. Anyway, I'm rambling!

I would go to some sites about Asperger Syndrome. Since your ds is able to talk to you & communicate (albeit not in the typical way), he might lean towards AS rather than "classic" autism (for lack of a better word). Here are some sites you might want to look at just for info:
http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/
http://www.aspergers.com/
http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

Just like with the celiac issue, no one would listen to me about her having autism/Asperger Syndrome, so I armed myself with as much info as possible. Look up books about autism/AS & see if you have them at the library. If you library doesn't have any, see if you can do Interlibrary Loan & get them.

Our parents STILL will say things about the girls "just needing to have better discipline." Though, my dad yesterday said, "You don't need to spank her" (my other dd) "You never got spanked." Well, mom said I only got spanked once! But, regardless of spanking or no spanking, my parents think DH overdisciplines & my inlaws think we underdiscipline & they both think I let them get away with so much. Dh will even make snide comments about it in front of people. Oh, the other thing they say is that if I would just put them into school (we homeschool) then they'd be all better. all this to say, I understand how painful it is to have others feel like you aren't doing anything right to raise your kids. It hurts! I hope you can get some info that will help you decide what to do next!

The fact that you are concerned & pushing to find answers makes you an incredible mom!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #673
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Jo
Do I talk to his reg Ped or do we need to see a Psychologist.
Welcome Tammy Jo! You've come to the right place. I just want to add my 2cents and would highly recommend a trained psychologist or behavioralist.
1) I don't trust peds as far as you can throw them. They don't know what they are talking about when it comes to the various dev disorders out there.

2) A psychologist would be good for both your son and for you. I think ODD is extremely difficult to deal with. I have a friend whose son has it and it is really tough to handle and really tough to explain to other people. I honestly don't know how she does it. She is a very patient and fair person and her other kids are very well behaved so I know it's definitely not her disciplinary style.

3) Is the school helping you? I forgot if you are in Canada or the US. How does your son do at school? If your child qualified for special ed, the school must meet his social, developmental and academic needs. We argued last year for our DS#2 (PDD) that he was not able to generalize his social skills from the confined and nurturing classroom into the real world. I wonder if you could get a behavioralist/psych help through the school district. It may be a battle, but a worthwhile one for sure.

Remember, this is not your fault!!!!!!! I think I have to remind myself of that too sometimes.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}
Old 04-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #674
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Good News!!

Well, I suppose this is good news. I know none of us have every really wished for our child(ren)'s dx, but we saw Jack's pediatrician today. She was very receptive.

I had several pages of notes I had made regarding some of Jack's behaviors (thanks to all of you who have posted before me!! It was thru reading your posts that I knew/recognized the behaviors to put on the list!). She read thru the first two and right away said that Jack needed to have an evaluation for the PDD scale. Yay, for having a wonderful dr who was willing to hear my concerns!!

So, I know it will probably be a few months, but the ped's office is making a referral for him to see a team of docs in Louisville.

Now...just to try to figure out which behaviors are just truly disobedience and which he truly can't help/are normal for him. Hmmmm.....

Thank you to those of you who have had such encouraging words for me. I told my mom how to find this thread so she can begin to understand this all too. I'm only on page 8 so far! But I intend to read each and every post--not to mention everything else I can get my hands on!

I'm on cloud nine today!!
Old 04-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #675
Stazon Splitcoast

Tammy I am so glad that you are doing better! It is amazing how good it can feel when even one person gives you some acknowledgement and understanding! Hope things work out quickly and well for you!
Ann
Old 04-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #676
2kc
Rubber Obsessor

Tammy Jo, I am so happy for you!!!! Yippeee!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #677
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up special needs catalog

Wasn't sure if you all knew about this company or not. It sells anything that might be needed for mobility, balance, communication, sensory solutions, etc...I have ordered several things from them and they have excellent customer service! I am sure they ship internationally (they are a Canadian company). Here is their website: www.schoolspecialty.ca take a look at their catalog or tell your school about it for them to order special needs items! They have three different catalogs, one for special learning needs (this is the one I have ordered from), school specialty sensory solutions and school specialty physical education and health.
Hope this may help some of you!
Ann
Old 04-10-2007, 01:35 PM   #678
Polyshrink Goddess

Default A Question for the Christian moms

Hi, ladies. I've gone from elated that the dr appt went so well yesterday to asking all the *what nows* and *what ifs.*

But the main ? I have stems from something that has concerned me for awhile....

How do you deal with educating you child about God?

Let me give you a little bg to explain where we are with DS. As recent as a year ago DS would go to Sunday school with fits or objection, but absolutely refused to discuss it afterward or talk about God at home. He would scream *I hate God! I don't care about Him. I wish he would go away!* and if he saw me praying I got screams of *Stop that!...I TOLD YOU TO STOP THAT NOOOWWWW!!!!* Add that to his aggressiveness/mean spirited tendencies, and I sometimes wondered if I was raising the antichrist. (only half-joking there)

He has come a loooonnnggg way thanks to a FABULOUS SS teacher. He asks ?s now and does think of God as a loving figure at least. But how much do they understand if they have probs discearning right and wrong and linking actions and consequences.

I will also add that Jack seems to be very high functioning except where emotional development is concerned.

This has weighed heavily on me for several years, so any insight would be greatly welcomed!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #679
Forum Fanatic

My take on that, Tammy Jo, is that the Lord made my child and He knows his capabilities when it comes to comprehension, etc. I'll do my best in teaching what I can, but ultimately it's not up to me. Actually, it's not up to any of us...it's only through the work of the Holy Spirit. As long as I'm doing my part, I try not to worry about anything else. When I start feeling like "I" have to do this and that and my child's eternal life lies in "my" hands, then I try to refocus and remind myself that it is not "me" that determines my child's eternity. Yes, God expects me to train him up, but I can not make the decisions for my autistic children or for my non-autistic kids (don't have any, but you know what I mean). I am no more responsible for their salvation than my neighbors.

Make sense?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #680
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess with my little guy, we make sure we go over and over things. He goes to SS with Dad & Mom right now because he disrupts the class he was in so much and the teacher did not understand how much monitoring he took. I just do not trust him with someone else quite yet either. DH was just dx with sleep apnea so once I can get him to stay awake once he sits down I may start going with DS to class. He does not retain it all but slowly grasps some. He memorizes but does not comprehend. Rules mean nothing to him. We take what we can slowly. He asks questions over and over and over again. He loves to hear himself speak, especially at the wrong times.

Our son hates to be watched because he knows what he is doing is wrong, but cannot stop himself. He has been taught that God is always watching us and he does not like that and gets mad about it, major fits there.

I remind myself that God does not make mistakes and he made DS the way his is. I pray for the wisdom to help him and the knowledge to get through each day. God will not put me through anymore than I can handle so he either thinks I can handle it or I still have a lot to learn (I vote for the latter).
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~