Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 05:56 AM   #601
Mad Swapper

Default thread hijack!

Emmiestamps! I think it's sooooo cool that your hubby stamps and has his own blog! I am jealous! My DH has not an ounce of creativity.....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:46 AM   #602
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Chrissy, Welcome. I love to hear you guys brag.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:50 AM   #603
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Chrissy, welcome! It is great to have someplace where you are understood. Thanks for sharing the positive! I've read most AS kids have an extreme strong point. I tease that my DS would make a great engineer since he loves to build. He is very geometric, everything has to be perfect lined up. He also could be a famous demolition expert since he loves to destroy. Only the future will tell.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Old 03-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #604
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is a link that Joan B. posted on general stamping thread. I know on April 2 I will be purchasing a set!!!
Stamping and Autism Awareness Month
Ann
Old 03-30-2007, 09:37 AM   #605
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Yahoo to SunshineMama

Hi there.......Catherine (muffincards) shared this group with me. I'm a mom to Zachariah (, who is autistic. We caught it early, at 13 months, and he's been in intervention since he was 18 months old. I also have a daughter, Elise - aka: Girly - who will be 7 next week.

Here's a scrapbook page I did on Zach a couple years ago: http://stampinmama.typepad.com/stamp..._scrapboo.html

Okay....and another one:
http://stampinmama.typepad.com/stamp...isnt_enou.html

Nice to find this group!

Old 03-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #606
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!
Send a message via MSN to emmiestamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincards
Emmiestamps! I think it's sooooo cool that your hubby stamps and has his own blog! I am jealous! My DH has not an ounce of creativity.....
It is so nice.........except double the supplies.....LOL!

Hi Erika glad you found us!
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 03-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #607
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiestamps

Hi Erika glad you found us!

I'm glad Catherine directed me over this way!

Did you see the great banner ad on SCS today???

Old 03-30-2007, 09:47 AM   #608
Stazon Splitcoast

I did! It's so exciting and I also saw on Gina's blog today she has so more great news! Has everyone else seen Gina k's banner?
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 03-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #609
Mad Swapper

Wow! How dorky am I that I didn't even notice the banner ad today?! Awesome! Sooooo excited that this is happening GinaK!!!!

Also, abmurray, I need to pm you--promise!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #610
Mad Swapper

a little mini vent--okay, well maybe not so mini

Okay, so my neighbor's almost 3 yr old daughter was diagnosed with PDD recently. She was shocked and so was I. This girl makes eye contact, gets her communication points across, plays with others, etc. She does have speech delay and receives services for speech and OT, but honestly, I do not see the social delays and developmental delays of autism. But the doctor told her to take the diagnosis and run with it so she can get services.

Then I heard from a playground mom that her son (now 5) was diagnosed PDD, ADHD, and Aspergers..on purpose. He is in the pre-school disabled program in my town which is basically for kids who have visible physical disabilities or speech delay. He definitely has attentional issues and is rough and tumble, but his speech is at peer level, he makes eye contact, and has friends. This is a parent who did not want her son to be classified, but then when she heard that his services would be cut in Kindergarden, she ran out and got this bogus diagnosis.

It just really pisses me off because my son has legitimate and somewhat obvious delays and has a legitimate PDD diagnosis. This kind of diagnosing waters down the real issues that many kids on the spectrum have and takes away services that they might otherwise receive because too many kids are in the system.

I just found out that our district has to cut $1.9million from their budget because our state legislature decided that property taxes can't go up anymore. While I appreciate the legislature's concern with taxes, we are facing cuts in special ed which, of course, is the biggest part of the budget after salaries/benefits for teachers.

ARGH!!! Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #611
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincards
Okay, so my neighbor's almost 3 yr old daughter was diagnosed with PDD recently. She was shocked and so was I. This girl makes eye contact, gets her communication points across, plays with others, etc. She does have speech delay and receives services for speech and OT, but honestly, I do not see the social delays and developmental delays of autism. But the doctor told her to take the diagnosis and run with it so she can get services.

Then I heard from a playground mom that her son (now 5) was diagnosed PDD, ADHD, and Aspergers..on purpose. He is in the pre-school disabled program in my town which is basically for kids who have visible physical disabilities or speech delay. He definitely has attentional issues and is rough and tumble, but his speech is at peer level, he makes eye contact, and has friends. This is a parent who did not want her son to be classified, but then when she heard that his services would be cut in Kindergarden, she ran out and got this bogus diagnosis.

It just really pisses me off because my son has legitimate and somewhat obvious delays and has a legitimate PDD diagnosis. This kind of diagnosing waters down the real issues that many kids on the spectrum have and takes away services that they might otherwise receive because too many kids are in the system.

I just found out that our district has to cut $1.9million from their budget because our state legislature decided that property taxes can't go up anymore. While I appreciate the legislature's concern with taxes, we are facing cuts in special ed which, of course, is the biggest part of the budget after salaries/benefits for teachers.

ARGH!!! Thanks for letting me vent.
Catherine, (((((HUGS)))))) I understand how this can really be frustrating. I don't usually post in this thread because of several reasons, mainly that I"m so busy & I forget! But, also my dd has Asperger Syndrome and really is different from the "typical" autistic child (AS IF there is a TYPICAL!). I don't know these kids you are talking about so I can't comment on their dx. The playground kid does sound like a "fixed" dx just so she could get him into the program. I DO think that kids might be overdiagnosed. It is frustrating if they are letting kids into programs who might not really need as much special help & those who need it don't get it!

We, however, had to FIGHT to get the dx for our dd. It's really tough with AS b/c they can present somewhat normal. AND getting a GIRL dx'd with AS is really hard. She COULD make eye contact. It wasn't frequent, and without knowing about AS, we often insisted she look at us when she talked, so she could look at us, but she wouldn't make eye contact in a new environment at a young age. She also could speak, and do it WELL. She was saying words by 6 or 7 mos. She was using sentences around a year or so. I was a new mom & clueless! I thought this was normal! She wasn't, however, crawling til 10 mos. NOt walking til 17 mos. And at 3 & 4 years old, could not answer a simple question. She did not show great emotion. I didn't know she was sick til I took her temp & it was really high. I researched & researched. I even suspected autism, but it didn't "fit". Not until I found Aspeger. And it was like BINGO! THIS IS MY KID! THe dr. did not believe us. He said she would outgrow this. I FOUGHT to get her in to be tested. The dr. doing the testing said, "maybe AS, or maybe childhood schizophrenia." Oh, that didn't help matters!

Now that she is 10 & we've worked so much with her on life skills, it's great when I hear people say, "She has just developed so much!" But I can look at her & think, "We have so far to go," at times.

We had both her & our other dd in speech for awhile til the clinic closed. I don't know that we can get her back in w/ a dx of AS. I wonder about your friend with the PDD dx. On different groups I've heard moms say it's been hard to get services with the PDD dx. WE homeschool & were told once that our district will test kids but not service them after they are school age. I JUST heard from a mom that they WILL INDEED service homeschool kids if you talk to the right person!

I wonder, though, if we get so used to seeing the issues in our children that we can't see the delays in others. There are so many variations in autism. I wonder what traits of PDD the dr. saw to say her child has it. I'd be really curious to know. Even more so about the little boy!

I hope your district will make wise choices for you to keep the services you need!
Old 03-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #612
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineMama
I'm glad Catherine directed me over this way!

Did you see the great banner ad on SCS today???
Okay, so you are on the design team for Gina & you have an autistic child, so you MUST already know the secret! How exciting!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #613
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschris
Aaron (10 yrs.) was diagnosed with PDD-NOS(not otherwise specified)at age 2 1/2. He now is very high functioning. he is mainstreamed 4th grade. He is very loving and funny. I just had to brag a little. Aaron has always had "humming" issue. he has perfect pitch, but can be very distracting. This past Christmas, we were at my MIL's house. He was fiddling with the piano and taught himself "Beetoven's 5th" from what he heard from a commercial. He then taught himself "Fir Elise" and a few Nintendo jingles.
Chrissy
Chrissy, Aaron is my Bethany's twin, I'm sure! She has Asperger Syndrome. She is 10. At 3 she played Joy to the World. I thought, "Just hitting the notes in a scale" but she did it over & over & it was a SONG! We don't have a real piano, but she plays at my mom's house & we got her a real keyboard (she's had the little toy ones, but this has full size keys). She plays all kinds of songs by ear.

Unlike Aaron, she has not been teachable b/c she thinks she knows how to play (and she does) but doesn't want to learn to read music!

I THINK she has perfect pitch, but I could be wrong. She doesn't know what C is so it wouldn't do much good to say, "Play a C" I guess if you said, 'Sing the note that song xyz starts with" you could tell.

Cool that Aaron is doing this!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #614
Duchess of Dork

Siblings & Speech.
Siblings---we have one other child. She has OCD & ADHD & definitely has anger issues, but I don't know that it's due to sister or do to the fact that she is SO strong willed & CRAVES attention. A dr. once said, "You spend so much time with Bethany (AS dd) that Natalie is trying to get your attention." I just had to laugh, b/c AS child doesn't get the attention she needs b/c of Primadonna child! Another mom of an autistic child has another dd (older than the autistic one) who has had a lot of anger issues.

Speech: My older dd did not need speech for enunciation. She could say everything crystal clear. She can use vocabulary almost as well as I do! But, her communication skills aren't that great. So, for the ones who have been told your child needs speech therapy, it might be more for the communication skills than saying the words.

Oh, one more thing---has anyone used any Carol Grey social Stories? We're at a changing point in life---my dd's 10, so going to be dealing with big changes. I'm wondering if it's worth doing social stories with her at this age. She's Aspergers & fairly high functioning. Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #615
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't been here in a LONG time. I just saw Gina K's banner. Anyone know what that's about? Her blog doesn't say much.

BTW... My kid is definetely one of the atypical kids. Most professionals at school won't even recognize it because he has cerebral palsy. I'm mom and teacher both, btw. So, I have to work with his other teachers and support staff. It's tough teaching professionals about atypical autism. It takes FOREVER for them to get it. It's not just my son, too. We have other students on the spectrum, dx from doctors, that the school won't recognize. BUT... they are not bogging down the system. They are already in special ed with some other dx because they need the services to survive. I'm at the middle school level... hard to survive that even being normal. LOL!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #616
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via MSN to mkgmt

I am clueless about what everyone is saying about Gina's banner. Where do I find it and how do I find her blog.
Melinda
Old 03-30-2007, 09:43 PM   #617
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mama
I wonder, though, if we get so used to seeing the issues in our children that we can't see the delays in others. There are so many variations in autism.
Very wise statement Chef Mama! And thank you for your support/listening. I know I shouldn't be so judgemental because I know how hard it is to advocate for our kids and their needs and I know how many "poo-pooed" our concerns when we were first getting DS#2 tested. This all happened this past week and we're headed into IEP season so everyone is on edge waiting to hear about what we will get next year.

Last summer, my we hired a special ed advocate to help us with our case. I do NOT want to do that again because it was soooooooo expensive, but worth every penny.

Our latest IEP meeting notice has a special section asking if we are going to tape-record the meeting and asking if others will be invited. It also states that if we do not sign this sheet of paper that we are agreeing NOT to tape record the meeting. The school district is totally covering themselves because this is exactly what the advocate did last year in this very contensious meeting we had. We were able to use the tape recording to say "you promised us a resolution by June 30th", etc. etc.

mkgmt:
GinaK is creating (or has created) an autism stamp set that will be coming out April 1st. She had an ad banner on SCS, but now I don't see it. Her blog is http://blog.ginakdesigns.com.

And www.stampinmama.typepad.com has a few sneak peaks that I just discovered right now!!! I am sooooo excited!!!!
Old 03-31-2007, 04:07 AM   #618
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgmt
I am clueless about what everyone is saying about Gina's banner. Where do I find it and how do I find her blog.
Melinda

GinaK's banner is running on SCS over the weekend, but there's also other banner ads running as well. As you make your way throughout the forums and site, you'll see it eventually.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:37 AM   #619
Rubber Obsessor

Default Larry King Show

I watched part of the Larry King Show last week when Suzanne Wright from Autism Speaks was on with Toni Braxton and Bill Cosby. In that show I learned that not only does autism affect 1 in 150 people affected, but 1 in 94 males are affected. Boy did that figure blow me away. It really brought to my attention that when these people grow up, what is going to become of them?

There is a bill going through the Senate right now and expected to go through the House that deals with increased funding for children and adults affected by autism so that they can get more of the very expensive services that insurance does not cover. If you are interested in this bill entitled Expanding the Promise for Individuals with Autism Act, you can go to the Autism Speaks site and send a request of support to your state senator. Here is the link:

https://secure2.convio.net/naar/site/Advocacy?id=223

Thanks,
Melinda
Old 03-31-2007, 02:15 PM   #620
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Siblings & Speech.
Siblings---we have one other child. She has OCD & ADHD & definitely has anger issues, but I don't know that it's due to sister or do to the fact that she is SO strong willed & CRAVES attention. A dr. once said, "You spend so much time with Bethany (AS dd) that Natalie is trying to get your attention." I just had to laugh, b/c AS child doesn't get the attention she needs b/c of Primadonna child! Another mom of an autistic child has another dd (older than the autistic one) who has had a lot of anger issues.

Speech: My older dd did not need speech for enunciation. She could say everything crystal clear. She can use vocabulary almost as well as I do! But, her communication skills aren't that great. So, for the ones who have been told your child needs speech therapy, it might be more for the communication skills than saying the words.

Oh, one more thing---has anyone used any Carol Grey social Stories? We're at a changing point in life---my dd's 10, so going to be dealing with big changes. I'm wondering if it's worth doing social stories with her at this age. She's Aspergers & fairly high functioning. Any thoughts?
We used the social stories for our son for quite awhile, but as he is 13 he seems to have grown out of them. (We could only use them at school too because he kept telling us "no, I do them at school". They did help tremendously! We used to use them along with pic symbols, but because he could read really well, we ended up taking them out eventually. I would recommend doing them for a few months to see if it helps.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #621
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmurray
We used the social stories for our son for quite awhile, but as he is 13 he seems to have grown out of them. (We could only use them at school too because he kept telling us "no, I do them at school". They did help tremendously! We used to use them along with pic symbols, but because he could read really well, we ended up taking them out eventually. I would recommend doing them for a few months to see if it helps.
Thank you! This made me laugh because it hits home. NO I DO THEM AT SCHOOL! Silly us thinking they could do stories in another place? What WERE you thinking? ha, ha! They get so set on something happening in a certain place that they can't imagine it happening anywhere else! It's like the kindergarteners who think the teacher lives at school, but they don't let go of it as they grow older. Gotta laugh to keep from crying! Oh, Bethany went to a girl scout event recently with dh b/c I was sick. She barely did any activities. She would have done more with me or even if he'd left & she stayed with my friends (her friends' moms). But, DADDY WAS THERE, and that is different. He was so gracious to take her & replan his whole day. I feel so badly for him when he wants to do things with her but she shuts down, not because of HIM but because it's DIFFERENT.

I was thinking they seemed rather young (the social stories). She has come SUCH a long way that it seems we can talk to her without using them, but I wondered if they might be helpful. Sounds like we are doing well just plugging along on our own with that.

The girls are in a girl scout troop at our homeschool co-op. The Junior leader is a lady who 'happens' to be an audiologist/speech therapist (or WAS, she homeschools now). It's been such a blessing as she knows just how to handle Bethany. One day she accidentally pressed on when Bethany was pulling away (but she didn't know Bethany was pulling away---mentally). Apparently Bethany started crying. I didn't know about this (B. was with my dh, who also seems to be an Aspie) til I was visiting with this mom & she told me and started crying! She was so upset that Bethany cried that it broke her heart. I am about to cry now thinking how special this lady is that she is so tender about my child! I didn't cry when she told me but assured her Bethany was tired, with Daddy, etc.

At this moment she is down the street playing with some neighbors. I am amazed that she can do that. Not too many years ago she would not go without me anywhere, now she ASKS to go play with her friends! YEA!!!!
Old 03-31-2007, 05:57 PM   #622
Duchess of Dork

This may seem really silly, but I've often wondered. Does it bother moms of autistic kids (severe to moderate) when moms of HFA or Asperger's share things on an autistic thread? I know it's all autism, but I also know there are differences, probably more language than other things. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by mentioning things my dd says when you are longing for your child to speak. My heart goes out to you. Let me know if an Asperger thread would be more appropriate.

As a bit of hope, I once saw a video by Tony Attwood, one of the leading authorities on Asperger's. He said the only difference in AS & HFA is the spelling! He also says that he has seen kids go from one "stage" of autism to another. He's seen kids move from severely autisitc to moderately autistic. He's seen kids go from moderate to Asperger's. I thought that was so encouraging to know that with the right work & people, these kids CAN progress at the level THEY need to be at.

I'll stop rambling now. Too much caffeine in one day!
Old 03-31-2007, 05:59 PM   #623
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
I watched part of the Larry King Show last week when Suzanne Wright from Autism Speaks was on with Toni Braxton and Bill Cosby. In that show I learned that not only does autism affect 1 in 150 people affected, but 1 in 94 males are affected. Boy did that figure blow me away. It really brought to my attention that when these people grow up, what is going to become of them?

https://secure2.convio.net/naar/site/Advocacy?id=223

Thanks,
Melinda
That number is staggering. I am trying to find a stat on girls with autism. They say boys outnumber girls by 4 or 5 times, so I guess that puts girls at 1 in over 400? Does anyone have this info?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2007, 06:49 PM   #624
Stazon Splitcoast

That Larry King show is being rebroadcast right now....although by the time anyone reads this, it will probably be over.

I do not mind AS and HFA being on the autistic thread as I have an AS kid and one who is more in the PDD range. Even within the subcategories there is such a variation that I don't think you could really separate them all. The one thing they all have in common is that the only people who truly "get" them is us...if indeed we really do. It really is all so mysterious in many ways.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:11 PM   #625
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by srogers5
I do not mind AS and HFA being on the autistic thread as I have an AS kid and one who is more in the PDD range. Even within the subcategories there is such a variation that I don't think you could really separate them all. The one thing they all have in common is that the only people who truly "get" them is us...if indeed we really do. It really is all so mysterious in many ways.
Boy, do I ned to learn these acronyms! Some days I think I have something figured out and the next I don't have a clue. I'm just soooo tired of others who see him maybe twice a week, who think they know how he works when I spend all day everyday with him and am clueless most of the time.

Quote:
At this moment she is down the street playing with some neighbors. I am amazed that she can do that. Not too many years ago she would not go without me anywhere, now she ASKS to go play with her friends! YEA!!!!
Boy is it nice to hear about your child playing. Mine does not pay any attention to his surroundings and would wonder off even if occupied in a group (with me present of course). I hope we will get to those days sometime!
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Old 03-31-2007, 07:51 PM   #626
Stazon Splitcoast

Did anyone see the story on the parents who use a cattle prod on their 48-year-old son? It was very interesting. Even his group home was using it until the state outlawed shock therapy.

They used it because nothing else worked. He hits himself mercilessly and that stops him from bloodying himself.

At first I was aghast, but I cannot judge them. I know the feeling of "whatever works to keep him safe". You know, ABA is a lot like dog training. We have leashes to keep kids with us. I am sure I am not the only one who has thought those invisible dog fences (shock collars) would be great to keep my son out of the busy road that goes past my house. Fortunately he's mostly staying within bounds, but...
Old 03-31-2007, 09:54 PM   #627
Duchess of Dork

Thanks, Sharon for that answer. Of course, having posted that comment, dd about came unglued when we told her she had to STOP her project & brush her teeth. She goes "non-verbal" on me & does the grunting/groaning squealing thing. I had a teacher once say, "when she goes non-verbal, pull her out as fast as you can." "SHOCK therapy" for us is sometimes just raising my voice. I know, Sharon, whatever works for your child if isn't hurting them. And sometimes the mild pain it may cause (i.e. restraints) is better than alternatives if we don't do what we have to do.

Off to bed now!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:08 PM   #628
Stazon Splitcoast

Go check out Gina k's site she has released her Autism Stamps and $8.00 from every purchase goes to Autism speaks!Gina K
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 04-01-2007, 04:34 AM   #629
Stazon Splitcoast

I just ordered mine. It's exactly what I had in mind when I suggested SU design such a stamp set. I've sent them another e-mail hoping they'll get on board in the future. It's a great set.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:46 AM   #630
Stazon Splitcoast

OMG! Gina's set is FABULOUS! I already ordered one!
Old 04-01-2007, 05:32 AM   #631
Stazon Splitcoast

I know that I don't mind if parent's of aspie kids post here, to me they are really very similar!! Because we "deal" with them in the same way, I find I can learn new ways that may help my son.
BTW, saw Gina K.'s new stamps and they look great. I really wish they did mention autism in some way like Joan B.'s do. Will have to see, but still might get both sets! Looking forward to seeing all the creations with them!
Old 04-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #632
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmurray
I know that I don't mind if parent's of aspie kids post here, to me they are really very similar!! Because we "deal" with them in the same way, I find I can learn new ways that may help my son.
BTW, saw Gina K.'s new stamps and they look great. I really wish they did mention autism in some way like Joan B.'s do. Will have to see, but still might get both sets! Looking forward to seeing all the creations with them!
GinaK created the stamp set this way so that everyone could find a use for it, not just parents or people with connections to autistic children. By creating a set that had the symbolism of the puzzle piece, it's great for people with connections to autism. But it's also a set that ANYONE can purchase to support the cause without feeling limited to the images and words in the set.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:17 AM   #633
Stazon Splitcoast

I love Gina's set. I already ordered one too.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #634
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh and I don't mind Aspie parents posting here. Every child w/ASD is so different anyway. We all share commonalities. We're trying to help our kids better understand our world and function in it, and help the world better understand our kids.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #635
Rubber Obsessor

Default Ready to pull my hair out!!!

DS (21) is taking online college. DS has AS and regular college wasn't a good fit. The teacher couldn't keep him on task. He is taking Basic Math and English Review.

He was supposed to be writing a paper on a topic he chose, Music Therapy and Autism. I made the mistake of walking away from DS to sit in a nearby chair and read the newspaper. DS left the computer to go get a copy of research he had printed and I walked over to the computer to find that in a matter of 15 minutes he had downloaded yahoo messenger and was IMing someone, he had set up a new yahoo mail account (I had deleted all of the rest of them) and was signed onto vampirerave.com. AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

I feel like I am trying to motivate an 8 y/o to go to college. He is capable of doing the work, but I have to stay at him, so it is like we are both going to college (though it was easier to do it by myself when I went the first time). LOL He is working with a mentor at a nearby autism center, but he can't do all of his work there.

Anyway, I got online and found a free internet security software that has some promise. DS managed to deactivate netnanny in about 20 minutes. He tried to deactivate this program for about 30 minutes and then gave up and is now working on his paper.

Here is the website in case anyone is interested in trying it. I am sure that I am not the only parent here with a child who is too smart when it comes to computers.

www.K9webprotection.com

Melinda
Old 04-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #636
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
DS (21) is taking online college. DS has AS and regular college wasn't a good fit. The teacher couldn't keep him on task. He is taking Basic Math and English Review.

www.K9webprotection.com

Melinda
Melinda, my 10 year old dd with AS asked me if we could homeschool through college. HOmeschooling her is like what you describe with your son! I was a teacher & always thought that by the time the kids were 10 they could be very self directed & so much of their work independently. Our school day ends up being me trying to get her to actually answer questions, write numbers & words rather than drawing, stay AT the area we're working, etc.! I've had to revise how I teach tremendously from the classroom! Any book stuff we do (workbook) is a page with maybe 8 problems/sentences at a time. Orally she learns better, but keeping her on task, that is the big task! We've tried straterra for her but no success. I want to go back to a gluten free diet for several reasons with her (we saw progress neurologically AND she gained weight, but we stopped for various reasons), but we are now trying zoloft for her anxiety & don't want to throw in two things at once.

Just wanted to share some hugs!!!! AND, it's nice to know that homeschooling college IS an option!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #637
Rubber Obsessor

Chef Mama,
How do you keep your sanity? These two courses have a lot of work due, especially on Sunday.

Has anyone had problems with your kids having to do research and write papers? James does great research and then cannot figure out how to get the research into his own words. We fight and fight about that. He changes one word and insists that now it's his own work. I have found with James that writing a paper is almost impossible for him. He has a hard time breaking it down into its parts so it seems an almost overwhelming task. By the time that he is to the point of writing, he just wants to get it over. Any ideas would be appreciated. We head out to the Autism Center today. I am thinking about giving him paragraphs in books to put into his own words. Just practice that part, if you know what I mean.
Melinda
Old 04-02-2007, 07:20 AM   #638
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: My personal view of Diamond Head (from my backyard)

Quote:
Chef Mama,
How do you keep your sanity? These two courses have a lot of work due, especially on Sunday.

Has anyone had problems with your kids having to do research and write papers? James does great research and then cannot figure out how to get the research into his own words. We fight and fight about that. He changes one word and insists that now it's his own work. I have found with James that writing a paper is almost impossible for him. He has a hard time breaking it down into its parts so it seems an almost overwhelming task. By the time that he is to the point of writing, he just wants to get it over. Any ideas would be appreciated. We head out to the Autism Center today. I am thinking about giving him paragraphs in books to put into his own words. Just practice that part, if you know what I mean.
Melinda
If you ask him ?'s about the research topic can he answer in his own words? DS has trouble with writing, partly because he just doesn't like the physical act of doing it and partly because he has a problem in transferring his thoughts into coherent sentences and then writing them. At school he is allowed to dictate longer paragraphs and then copy them, which seems to be working for him, but the school of course wants him to this indepently. We are seeing a new psych who wants to change his dx from AS to either HFA or Atypical (to me, not much difference) and add in dysgraphia - which is having a problem in getting thoughts formed into sentences and then written down. If we get the dysgraphia dx, then we can hopefully work with the school to try a voice recognition program that will allow him to dictate to the computer and then he can edit the paragraphs.

Does the Autism Center have something like this that he could try to see if it would help? Just a thought.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #639
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Chef Mama,

Melinda
Sanity? What's that?
Prayer, chocolate & drugs. In no particular order! Seriously, I found as I was heading in to my late 30's (now 40's), I was getting very irritable & kids weren't sleeping, so the dr. let me try celexa. I would love to not feel like it made a difference, but i know it does. I know as I hit menopause it will only get worse cuz the girls are hitting their pre-teen years! Oh, boy! I mean, Oh, Girl! Dh may move out!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:11 PM   #640
Duchess of Dork

Ladies, do you have to laugh to keep from crying? Here's an example of what I mean. This happened while I was teaching a class at our homeschool co-op, but I have to tell it as my friend (who was not in the class) heard it from her dd: Mom, what will happen to Bethany and (child x & Y, also special needs) when they grow up?
Mom: Well, some will live with their mommies for a longer time, some will go on to college, and then they might get married. Which of those do you think would have the easiest time getting married or moving away?
child: Bethany.
They then discussed that sometimes Bethany seems like she is paying attention then other times she doesn't.
Child: Mom, today in class, the teachers were reading the story, then asked questions. Bethany raised her hand.
Mom: (thinking: I am so proud of Bethany! She has really grown so much. I bet she asked a REALLY good question) So, what was her question.
Child: She asked her mom, "Can we go to Sonic? I'm hungry!"

Yep, true story!

Anyway, it made me think that if I created a stamp set for autism awareness (in that you gotta laugh to keep from crying mode), it would possibly have a child under a table or covering her ears. It might show a child "strumming" (she didn't flap, she "strummed" her tummy as if it were a guitar). It would HAVE to have a kid stacking and lining up things. Anything. If it's there, line it up or stack it! If there were a way to show time delays, it would show a child with a piece of pizza at 6:00. It would show a half-eaten piece at 6:30, with the child looking at books, while child is chewing (since looking at books but NOT eating isn't allowed!). At 7:00, there would be only a plate, but child would be in the mom's office, because by now we have all finished & really can't sit at the table for another 30 minutes to watch her eat, and she would have a few bites of pizza still in hand!

What would YOU put on an autism awareness stamp?