Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 AM   #561
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to beadfreak22

I love your story, beneli0406! Thanks for sharing it.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:12 PM   #562
Stazon Splitcoast

In speaking of positive aspects of our autistic children: our son just turned 13 last week and really is a joy most of the time. We do deal with behaviours, stimming and what most of you do as well, but he has the best sence of humour! He makes most everyone around him feel good about themselves by saying 'you are doing a great job (insert name)! He is becoming a lot more social and is always wanting to meet new people and find out about their family, what car they drive, etc... During the times when things aren't going smooth and I feel like crying, I try to remember all the goals we have reached, but especially his smile and laughter! I also try to think about all the other people that have and will go through the same situations.
I have met so many wonderful people because of him, and I know God gave him to us for a very special reason - that we would love him unconditionally. I know that we will have many more hard times ahead, but there have been far more good ones!
Ann
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #563
Stazon Splitcoast

Sorry, I thought there was only 1 thread for autism, I will post it on the other one!
Ann
Old 02-20-2007, 05:33 PM   #564
Mad Swapper

I just saw a thread on thr CE forum about finding a gene link for Autism. I thought some of you may want to check out. Very positive post.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #565
Mad Swapper

Did you guys see the 60 minutes segment on Sunday about autism or the Primetime segment tonight? I feel so fortunate that our son was diagnosed at 26 months and that he is not so severe that he is hurting himself (well, he does fall down a lot and bang his head, but it's not repetitive behavior, KWIM?).
Old 02-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #566
Stazon Splitcoast

I missed it. How was it?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:54 AM   #567
Stazon Splitcoast

I did not get to see it. We only get one channel.

Can you tell me what you mean by hurting himself? How old is this child you saw. My DS is 5 1/2 and has a repetitive habit of peeling the skin off his hands and feet. I explain to him that they will get infected and he could loose them. It does not bother him. He says "I don't need them." To him everything is replaceable. I was told he could out grow it. Your comment just hit me, that maybe he won't. The doc told me to take them away, so I tape his thumbs, but within minutes of taking the tape off he does it again.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Old 02-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #568
Stazon Splitcoast

I meant to attach this to the last post. This is what his thumbs usually look like.
Attached Thumbnails
imgp2563-3.jpg  
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Old 02-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #569
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to beadfreak22

Motherof6, I can't imagine how heartbreaking that must be for you. I'm so sorry. My son licks his lips until they bleed from being so chapped.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 AM   #570
Stazon Splitcoast

sibs of autistic kids

I was wondering if any one else has ever had challenges with their other non-autistic children. My 9YO told me last night that he is depressed! He has always been very sensitive, but lately has been giving us a very hard time, become rebellious and argues with everyone constantly! He is normally a very sweet and caring brother so we are really worried. He has seen the school social worker but of course it is only once ever two weeks and he can't seem to articulate exactly what is bothering him. Anyone else had something similar happen?
P.S. we are getting help for him.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:16 AM   #571
Mad Swapper

Default many replies for everyone

1. Primetime/60 minutes

The 60 minutes segment was informative just showing how early detection is key and how they are trying to lower the diagnosis age from an average of 5years (I found this statistic staggering) to one year of age. My son was diagnosed officially at 26 months old so I feel lucky.

The Primetime segment I found very disturbing. I do not want to judge the parents here because I am not in their shoes. The segment was about a controversial school in Massachusetts that uses shock therapy to get the autistic kids to comply and/or stop their "bad" behaviors. One boy was very big for his age and was hitting his mom and she was really afraid of him. At the school, he has calmed down a lot. They wear tiny devices on their arms and are shocked if they swear or act out. The reporter wore the device and she is a grown adult. She was shaking uncontrollably when they shocked her and I think it really affected her in terms of how she felt about the treatment. One ACLU rep said it's like torture and that we don't even do that to terrorists. Honestly, I found it so heartbreaking to watch.

2. Motherof6: What about positive reinforcement for your son who picks his thumb? What about a day or weekend of hour by hour smiley faces for each hour that he leaves the bandage on and then if you get 5 smiley faces, you get a prize? Almost like potty training?! My 5 year old loves getting smiley faces and then gets to play with his Gameboy for 15-30 minutes. My 7 year old gets one baseball card for his collection. I am constantly amazed at the silly little smiley faces. We give sad faces too (not mad faces, sad faces) for bad behavior.

3. abmurray...typical siblings
There is a support group for sibs at my local hospital that I want to check out for my typical son (7 years old). I am also trying to get him into therapy...not because he is depressed, but because he is a deep thinker and will ask questions like "what will happen to Thomas if we all die?". I think he is anxious and feels this great responsibility to look out for Thomas. Sometimes I feel like we need family therapy so that my husband and I know what to do when 7yr old son comes to us with his issues about this.

Our developmental pediatrician recommended therapy for my 7yr old. She said to nip it in the bud now before they turn into teenagers. She spoke from experience because she has a daughter with physical handicaps who needed a lot of attention and a typical daughter who felt the brunt of it.

Does your typical son need more one on one attention from you to show how he is special in the family? What are his hobbies, special talents and interests? Can you really focus him on those interests? Do you think that teenage hormones are kicking in already? Could kids at school be making fun of him because of his autistic sibling? I am not in your shoes. I am not trying to be judgemental! I know how hard it is to deal with my own kids and their specific needs. Just trying to offer ideas maybe???
Old 02-22-2007, 06:19 AM   #572
Mad Swapper

abmurray,
I forgot to add that I think it is AWESOME that your son can articulate his feelings AND not be afraid to tell you.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #573
Stazon Splitcoast

That would be horrible to put your child through shock treatment. I cannot imagine a parent wanting to send their child there.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Old 02-22-2007, 07:57 AM   #574
Stazon Splitcoast

We have tried/try the reward system. Every morning I give him a challenge (very simple) and what the reward will be. He only meets it maybe once a week. Most of the time he does not last more than 20 minutes at a time. We even had an elderly friend tell him she would give him some money if he went a day. I wish it was just his thumb. It is anything in general. If he is sitting on the floor, it is the carpet. He does it even if he has his favorite toys, wooden blocks. He takes apart his clothes/shoes too. I bought him a Fisher Price boy doll to match the one I got his sister the month before for their birthdays. Within 30 minutes he had secretly removed all of the stuffing.

The last 2 weeks have been horrible! He filled his pants because he was mad at me for not taking him with me somewhere. He even told me that was why he did it. He has done this twice before in the last year. Lately he is in a constant argue, mind changing mode. For EX: Saturday I asked him if he was hungry. He said no, he does not want to eat. So I made lunch for the rest of the kids. He threw a major fit. I told him he has to sit nice for 5 minutes and I will make him a sandwhich. (We were at a wrestling tournament for our other boys). It took him 2 hours to stop crying before he just shut it off and sat down. If I would of given into him, he uses it big time. It seems like anything I ask is a power stuggle right now.
We went out to eat twice last week and he got to order what he wanted. Now he refuses to eat because I prepare the same meal for everyone and he does get to order. He did the same thing last spring after he had surgery. At the hospital he got to eat when and what he wanted. He keeps telling me he is going to have another accident to go back. So people will bring him gifts.

Spring: He fell down the stairs and landed wrong and ruptured his bladder. None of the other kids were in the house, DH was changing and I was getting my grocery list together. My then 15 yr old was volunteering at a work day for a Bible camp. He told the Dr that my 15 yr old pushed him down the stairs. He was 4 hours away. I hate to even let him talk to anyone scared of what he might say.

Sorry to carry on, but no one else seems to understand and I need to get it out!
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Old 02-22-2007, 08:11 AM   #575
Mad Swapper

Debbi, my heart goes out to you. I don't know how you manage. I'm glad that you can speak freely here on this forum. Is school stressing him out by chance--maybe a new kid, a new class, a new teacher or some changes? My DS wets himself if he is stressed out. And we've dealt with the 2 hour melt downs as well which can just wear you done to your last thread of nerves. You sound like a very strong person......
Old 02-22-2007, 08:46 AM   #576
Stazon Splitcoast

Debbi,
(((HUGS))) You're an amazing woman. I feel overwhelmed, frustrated, and quite frankly - clueless as to how to help my kiddos -a lot. We're here for you. Vent away. I'll try to ask DS's behaviorist for tips on discouraging the nail biting. DS#1 is starting to get down to the nubs too. I'll share any hot tips she might have.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #577
Stazon Splitcoast

We try to keep everything at a constant without depriving our other children. I've home-schooled for 14 yrs and plan on continuing as long as I have kids in the house. He does not start K until next year. I usually do not start boys until they are six. The attention span is just not there. We did start doing some phonics this year as my 4 yr old DD wanted to learn to read. My DS just could not retain it. He also has a brain injury from a car accident he was in with his birth family. He was the only surviver. He had over 40 stitches in his head alone. We just keep plugging along and praying that God will give us the knowledge to get through! I've learned to ignore his fits and tell him I cannot hear him until he sits quietly. I just wish everyone around him who tries to give in and coddle him would understand the price I have to pay if I give in.

I need one of those buttons I saw "Smiles welcome, Parenting advice not!"

I am so thankful for this thread and all of your support! I have tears of joy from the support and understanding, not tears of frustration towards people who think they know how things are!
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Old 02-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #578
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via MSN to mkgmt
Default My son has Asperger's

James is 21 and wasn't diagnosed until he was 16 years old. James was the fourth out of five kids and i always knew he was different, but when he was little there was no diagnosis of Asperger's in this country.

James lives at home with my husband and I. We are volunteering at the Autism Solution Center here in Memphis and James is working with the head of the center in a mentoring program. He is taking online college and has just started Taekwondo, which is really helping him.

James sees a DAN doctor here in Memphis. He is taking numerous biomedical supplements and we are seeing a big difference in him. We are still hoping for independence for him and that is what we are working towards.

I also have a nephew with Asperger's and a grandson with autism.
Melinda
Old 02-28-2007, 05:46 PM   #579
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome, Melinda!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #580
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: My personal view of Diamond Head (from my backyard)

Hey all! Hope everyone is having a "good" day (tantrum free at our house). I haven't posted in awhile because it's been crazy here. The end of last semester and the beginning of this one have been hard on DS, due in large part to me returning to school fulltime. Even though impact on him was minimal (I only had day classes while he was in class), it was just too much change (started about 7 months after we moved) in too little time. So, I'm cutting back for a couple of months to help him work through it all and so I can go back guilt and worry free.

I'm attaching a link to a story that was on the news here this morning. It absolutely breaks my heart. A 6 yo with autism was arrested for assault and the teacher has gotten a restraining order against child and mother. How can anybody look at this and not say that the school has failed miserably to help this child?

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...l.html?taf=hon

HI has a rep as having bad schools and this really just re-enforces that image! We looked very closesly at schools before making the decision to move and found a very good elementary school. Downside, the jr. high is bad - lots of voluntary segragation (sp), the principle actually got up in a meeting and stated that the scores for NCLB and state assesment are low because the special ed kids are included. I bit my tongue, but DH and I have decided that DS will under no circumstances enter that school! Okay, I'm getting into a rant, but this story just really got to me.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #581
Mad Swapper

I just can't believe that the police would arrest a 6 yr old ---regardless of whether or not he's autistic. AND what court would put a restraining order on a 6 yr old. I can see asking the parents to back off, but the kid??? And how can the education be "appropriate" if the child is having such a reaction to the teacher? This is really a messed up story!

Kristen, what do you mean by "voluntary segregation" in your school district?

Sorry your DS is having a hard time adjusting. I don't think I can ever move. Both my kids would freak!
Old 03-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #582
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincards
I just can't believe that the police would arrest a 6 yr old ---regardless of whether or not he's autistic. AND what court would put a restraining order on a 6 yr old. I can see asking the parents to back off, but the kid??? And how can the education be "appropriate" if the child is having such a reaction to the teacher? This is really a messed up story!

Kristen, what do you mean by "voluntary segregation" in your school district?

Sorry your DS is having a hard time adjusting. I don't think I can ever move. Both my kids would freak!
The "voluntary segregation" is basically, after grade school, if you stay in public school, you only hang with those of the same ethnic background (instead of jocks, brains, and skaters), to the point of them being considered gangs (they have turf, violence, etc). Anglo-Americans are the outsiders and it used to be kind of dangerous (some say it still is) for them at school - in some areas they are definitely not welcome. Not all the schools are like that, but many of them are.

I think taking some time to work on DS's behavior and getting to see that it is okay for me to go to school also. Part of the problem was we didn't have all of the support stuff we needed in place before I started. So, 1 step back and hopefully 2 forward.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #583
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlady
Hey all! Hope everyone is having a "good" day (tantrum free at our house). I haven't posted in awhile because it's been crazy here. The end of last semester and the beginning of this one have been hard on DS, due in large part to me returning to school fulltime. Even though impact on him was minimal (I only had day classes while he was in class), it was just too much change (started about 7 months after we moved) in too little time. So, I'm cutting back for a couple of months to help him work through it all and so I can go back guilt and worry free.

I'm attaching a link to a story that was on the news here this morning. It absolutely breaks my heart. A 6 yo with autism was arrested for assault and the teacher has gotten a restraining order against child and mother. How can anybody look at this and not say that the school has failed miserably to help this child?

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...l.html?taf=hon

HI has a rep as having bad schools and this really just re-enforces that image! We looked very closesly at schools before making the decision to move and found a very good elementary school. Downside, the jr. high is bad - lots of voluntary segragation (sp), the principle actually got up in a meeting and stated that the scores for NCLB and state assesment are low because the special ed kids are included. I bit my tongue, but DH and I have decided that DS will under no circumstances enter that school! Okay, I'm getting into a rant, but this story just really got to me.
It says the article is no longer available-help!
Ann
Old 03-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #584
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmurray
It says the article is no longer available-help!
Ann
I can't believe they've pulled this already! I've checked the two Honolulu papers and one Hilo paper and they have nothing. The basic facts were this - a 6 yo was arrested either Tues or Wed in Kona, HI (the BIg Island) for assaulting his teacher in January. The day of the incident the mom went to pick up her son. He was carrying an igloo he had made and was excited to show her. The teacher told him to stop running. The mother said she turned her back for a moment and the next thing she knew her son had jumped on the teacher. The school says the teacher was hospitalized for a night from the injuries and is still (a month later) out on workers comp. The teacher has gotten a temporary restraining order against the child and mother stating that they can't be with in so many feet of her work (the school) or her residence. The school says the child has a history of conflicts and out bursts but is welcome back and they (school) have been providing services. The mom says she knows nothing of the services, but her son is autistic and needs help not to be arrested. The teacher was unavailable for comment.

THe story raises several questions - first, how is the child supposed to return to school if there is a restraining order against him; second, if he has a history of outbursts and violence, why hasn't the school done something before this; third, how frail is this teacher if a 6 yo is able to hospitalize her and put her out of work for over a month? Her not returning the reporter's calls makes me suspiciuos that she's milking it and the system. I truly think the school has completely failed the child (news had a picture of him, he's average size for a 6 yo). HI spec ed just got out from under a federal edict about 2 years ago (they were under it for 11 years) because the spec ed program was so screwed up. I'm sure there are educational attorneys on the Big Island that are probably rushing to the mom's aid (or at least I hope they are)! Oh and the fact that it's been pulled already makes me think the school system had it yanked so not too many people would have yet another reason to critisize them (schools here have lots of issues).
Old 03-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #585
Stazon Splitcoast

I just had a friend send me this link, very interesting!

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2...drawing-p1.php
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 AM   #586
Mad Swapper

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to let you in on something. Go to stampinmama's blog (which is a great blog by the way) and check out the March 15 entry. I'm being vague on purpose, but I think you will all be interested.....hee,hee.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #587
Mad Swapper

I forgot to add that MTV has a documentary about autism that follows 3 teenage boys. My sister told me about it and cried when she saw that one of the boys had never had a birthday party until he was 18 years old. He was able to use an assisted communication device to invite the people he knew in his class.

I happen to catch some of the film yesterday and was heartened by the fact that those who were invited were excited to go and were surprised that the autistic boy even knew their names. I don't know if they were "faking it" because they were on camera, but I like to think that everyone will be so open and caring as our kids get older.

You can to to MTV's website and read more. It's under a heading called "THINK".
Old 03-23-2007, 09:42 AM   #588
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!
Send a message via MSN to emmiestamps

Hi, I hope everyone is doing well, I just wanted invite you to come visit the blog I set up about our journey through autism.The Beauty Of Autism
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 03-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #589
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to buggab0o0

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincards
I forgot to add that MTV has a documentary about autism that follows 3 teenage boys. My sister told me about it and cried when she saw that one of the boys had never had a birthday party until he was 18 years old. He was able to use an assisted communication device to invite the people he knew in his class.

I happen to catch some of the film yesterday and was heartened by the fact that those who were invited were excited to go and were surprised that the autistic boy even knew their names. I don't know if they were "faking it" because they were on camera, but I like to think that everyone will be so open and caring as our kids get older.

You can to to MTV's website and read more. It's under a heading called "THINK".

I stumbled on this thread... and came in to " lurk" I do not have children with autism, but i did watch this when it was on ( and they usually do reruns as well) it made me cry, not because it was sad but because it was a positive show... they did a really good job on it... I posted that it was on in CE a while back... there should be links on there to the actual video or in segments
here is that thread...
MTV - true life - autism

here is the video link- takes little bit of time to buffer the videos though in order to see the whole video

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1554937
but they did a really good job, I dont think the kids were pretending though ( not impossible) but with jeremy taking breaks they were pretty supportive... I cried when he told them thank you, with the lightwriter...
Old 03-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #590
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to buggab0o0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggab0o0
I stumbled on this thread... and came in to " lurk" I do not have children with autism, but i did watch this when it was on ( and they usually do reruns as well) it made me cry, not because it was sad but because it was a positive show... they did a really good job on it... I posted that it was on in CE a while back... there should be links on there to the actual video or in segments
here is that thread...
MTV - true life - autism

here is the video link- takes little bit of time to buffer the videos though in order to see the whole video

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1554937
but they did a really good job, I dont think the kids were pretending though ( not impossible) but with jeremy taking breaks they were pretty supportive... I cried when he told them thank you, with the lightwriter...

it does say it is on this tuesday at 3 am
but here is the link to the schedule page you can pull it up and look at daily schedules http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1554937
Old 03-24-2007, 05:34 AM   #591
Mad Swapper

Thanks Buggabooo! I didn't know about the extras and will go check them out!
Old 03-24-2007, 05:58 AM   #592
Mad Swapper

Do you guys know Ali Edwards?!
Check this out: http://www.autismspeaks.org/inthenew...fundraiser.php

She has raised over $22,000 with her blog and the six degrees link. Unbelievable!
Old 03-24-2007, 06:00 AM   #593
Rubber Obsessor

Anyone have an adult autistic "child"? My almost 22 y/o son has Asperger's. It wasn't diagnosed until he was 16, so despite noticing something was "different" about this son (I have 5 children) at birth, this diagnosis wasn't in the US 22 years ago, so he was "missed". I find it hard to deal with the uncertainty of what my son is capable of doing in becoming successfully independent. At this point, I cannot leave him alone for a significant amount of time. When I have to be away, one of my other kids watches him for me and keeps him out of trouble.

James is seeing a DAN doctor, and is improving, but the going is slow and expensive. He is going to an online college after the horrible experience of him going to a local college. He takes Taekwondo, which has been a blessing. He works with a local autism center and I volunteer there. I guess my biggest problem is that I don't think like him. I don't always understand his decisions and I can't always anticipate his behavior. That puts alot of stress on me and affects my feelings towards James and my life in general. I don't want to put him in assisted living at this point if I could even find or afford one. I just keep doing the next "right thing" and try to not expect too much but hope for improvement. It so often feels like he takes two steps forward and one back. I can never take for granted that what he does today he will do tomorrow. I also can't tell when he is willfully refusing to do what he is capable of.

Anyone out there have the same or similar feelings and experiences?
Thanks,
Melinda
Old 03-24-2007, 06:16 AM   #594
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgmt
Anyone have an adult autistic "child"? My almost 22 y/o son has Asperger's. It wasn't diagnosed until he was 16, so despite noticing something was "different" about this son (I have 5 children) at birth, this diagnosis wasn't in the US 22 years ago, so he was "missed". I find it hard to deal with the uncertainty of what my son is capable of doing in becoming successfully independent. At this point, I cannot leave him alone for a significant amount of time. When I have to be away, one of my other kids watches him for me and keeps him out of trouble.

James is seeing a DAN doctor, and is improving, but the going is slow and expensive. He is going to an online college after the horrible experience of him going to a local college. He takes Taekwondo, which has been a blessing. He works with a local autism center and I volunteer there. I guess my biggest problem is that I don't think like him. I don't always understand his decisions and I can't always anticipate his behavior. That puts alot of stress on me and affects my feelings towards James and my life in general. I don't want to put him in assisted living at this point if I could even find or afford one. I just keep doing the next "right thing" and try to not expect too much but hope for improvement. It so often feels like he takes two steps forward and one back. I can never take for granted that what he does today he will do tomorrow. I also can't tell when he is willfully refusing to do what he is capable of.

Anyone out there have the same or similar feelings and experiences?
Thanks,
Melinda
I still don't fully understand my son (who is now 13) and his decisions. Have you taken any courses on understanding behaviour in autism? I know it must be hard to have had such a late diagnosis.
As for hope for improvement-there is always hope. I know that what we would normally expect from our "normal" kids I am ecstatic when my autistic son achieves even half of that. I hate to think that we expect less from him, but I try to understand that he can only achieve his full potential when we take it slower. I try to think of it like a trip, you can take the quick way and not enjoy your self or you can take the scenic route and enjoy the view! All of us here have different experiences as some of us are in the US and some in Canada (some US are in different countries with the forces). Always feel free to come and vent or ask questions here, we all understand!
Ann
Old 03-24-2007, 07:00 AM   #595
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thanks Ann

I started working at The Autism Solution Center here in Memphis so that I could learn more about autistic behavior as well as to get help for my son and to volunteer my help in whatever way I could. I have worked there for over a year and have learned a lot. The more I learn, the more I realize that I don't really understand the "world" autistic people live in. I see that my "brain" is wired differently. I can visit their world, but I don't live there.

My ex-husband died in January and I feel the responsibility for my son so much more than I did before. I want independence for my son. This trip is a slow one, but my son reaching adulthood has really hit me hard when I see where we still are. In a couple of years we will no longer have medical insurance for him. He was on medicaid, but that was taken away when his father died and he has been okayed for survivor benefits under social security. I have noticed that we have so many young adults with Asperger's coming through our doors at the Autism Center. They "look" like neurotypicals but they behave differently and many people are put off by that. Finding employment and keeping it is hard and almost impossible.

I felt like I had time as long as James was in high school and even for a couple of years afterwards. Now with my ex dying and James aging, I worry for him.

Much of the autism legislation is pointed at preventing autism or early intervention, all much needed. But I am afraid that the older people affected by autism are being overlooked.

In addition to James, I have a nephew who has Aspergers and a grandson who has autism. I am so appreciative of what can be done with early intervention. I am thankful that we have a great DAN doctor and that James has come so far. I am just fearful for James' future.
Melinda
Old 03-25-2007, 01:35 PM   #596
Die Cut Diva

Hi,

My son has Aspergers and I am looking into home schooling. I don't want to, but I am starting to get the impression that our school has thier idea of how to handle things and they aren't so willing to really listen, I hope I'm wrong.

Also, there is no classification (sp?) for an Aspergers child here, he will (we have not officially notified school yet) be labeled and have to get speech during school. He does not need speech and the last time he was pulled out for help he started to suffer in the subject he was missing part of.

I posted in the general forum here is the link:

Home School Questions (Long)

I just wanted your thoughts on whether home schooling for aspergers kids.

TIA!
Old 03-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #597
Stazon Splitcoast

I will be home-schooling my son in K next year. He will be 6 this summer. I have home-schooled all my children though for the last 14 years.

I have already learned that I will have to teach him in a much different manner than my daughter who will be 5 this summer and will also be doing K this next fall. I figure who knows better how he learns than me who spends all day, every day with him. He is very smart, but to keep his attention is a whole other thing. Thankfully he is very competitive with his sister . He mimics everything she does.

We were also told we could get speech for him. The only problem he has with speech is telling the truth (major exaggeration) and getting him to stop talking.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #598
Cardstock Collector

Hello everyone. Aaron is my miracle child. He was born 4 weeks early and only 3.6 lbs. (i had an ultrasound late in my pregnancy and discovered a knot in the umbilical cord. He was not getting any nutrition for I don't know how long)
Aaron (10 yrs.) was diagnosed with PDD-NOS(not otherwise specified)at age 2 1/2. He now is very high functioning. he is mainstreamed 4th grade. He is very loving and funny. I just had to brag a little. Aaron has always had "humming" issue. he has perfect pitch, but can be very distracting. This past Christmas, we were at my MIL's house. He was fiddling with the piano and taught himself "Beetoven's 5th" from what he heard from a commercial. He then taught himself "Fir Elise" and a few Nintendo jingles. We have since put him into piano lessons. He has amazed his piano teacher with his ability. It is so amazing to see him working out the keys and teaching himself the cool songs from the movies and games he plays. This has brought him closer to his older brother (aged 16) as they share new music. He has his first piano recital planned for May 19, where he will play the theme song to Super Mario Bros. (which he has learned by ear with help from his teacher) and another song that his teacher refuses to play for his so he will learn to read the music.
We have tried and tried to find a hobby for him to take him away from video games and movies. He hates to go outside and although he liked playing basketball, he was more of the mascot (on the court) than an actual player. He would run up and down the court "growling" at the other players.
Although it has sometimes been a challenge with him; I thank God everyday just to have him in my life! I almost feel sorry for those that don't get to experience the joy, the love and the adventure an autistic child brings to your life.
A couple of Aaron's benchmarks:We started him on a gluten-casein free diet at age 3. he potty-trained at age 3 1/2, he said his first full sentence "My name is Aaron" at age 4 the day my daughter came home from the hospital - big tear jerker! Last week, I let him go down to get the mail by himself - about 5 houses down.
Sorry, I really didn't mean for this to be such a long post. Its been great to share with moms that i know understand. i hope that this gives some of you new to this hope that there is a light along the way.
What do I do when times are difficult? Pray! I know i have no control over what happens. I have given all control issues up- which is very liberating.
Thanks for "listening"
Chrissy
Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #599
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!
Send a message via MSN to emmiestamps

Hi Chrissy and Welcome to the group! Aaron sounds like a wonderful child!
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 03-28-2007, 03:21 AM   #600
Inking Addict

Chrissy- my son has similar piano talents. He plays hours a day and has just recently started lessons. I'm amazed at the songs he can play. He watches Little Einsteins so when he "announces" some of his songs he sounds really, really smart (well, he is!)...like, "Song by Georges Bizet!".

Welcome to the thread.