Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2006, 01:48 AM   #361
Kookie Creator

Yikes - there is no edit button!! I was just reading that this poem I just posted is copyrighted. I probably shouldn't have posted it, just added the link.

My gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-03-2006, 05:48 AM   #362
Gallery Gazer

Location: Beautiful BC with my soulmate and he is a stamper too!!
Send a message via MSN to emmiestamps

That's a beautiful poem, it has me in tears, thanks for sharing.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 10-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #363
down and digi

What a beautiful poem. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #364
Gallery Gazer

So do your guys trick or treat?

and if they do...............

What are they going to be?

Megan has told me she wants to be a super hero, the one with the S, I say superman and she say no super hero the one with the S................lol..she's so darn cute!
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 10-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #365
Stazon Splitcoast

Caleb loves to trick or treat! I think this year the boys will be Thing 1 and Thing 2 from the Cat in the Hat. I'm sure Caleb would be Woody again, but the costume is too small.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #366
Rubber Obsessor

Default Yes!

David has been counting down to Halloween, he is so excited about it. He's 6 and this is the 1st year I have let him pick out his outfit. In the past he's been Buzz Lightyear, Thomas the train and stuff like that. We went to the Halloween shop and they had everything you could think of. What did he want to be? The scary thing from the Scream movies, the black cape with the white face mask. He said he wants to be scary this year. I was shocked, but he's happy with it.

What is everyone else wearing??

Tracy

"Somethings gotta go wrong, cuz I'm feeling way too damn good" - Nickelback
Old 10-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #367
Embossing Fanatic

Thought I'd get involved in this thread. I haven't read all of them but from what I have, I know I'll learn a lot from all of you. My son is only 3 1/2 and has been recieving services since February. He's in preschool every day where he has an excellent teacher that specializes in ASD, goes to a behavioral psychologist once a week, has an occupational therapist that he sees at school, and a speech pathologist that comes to the house. I feel really blessed with all the help I am receiving. He is making a lot of strides in his communication. He talks and talks but doesn't really say anything. His memory is amazing. He is a piano prodigy. He plays by ear almost every song he has ever heard. He's starting to play with two hands now. We're struggling with potty training but realize it's going to be a battle for a while. The hardest thing is that he is really violent with us and his sister. He's very well behaved at school so I know he can be good. He just knows how to push my buttons. We're working on it but it gets frustrating (as I'm sure you all know).

Just glad to have found this forum. I'm a new SU Demonstrator and was hoping to use it as a way to spread Autism Awareness. Has anyone done anything with fundraising or making special cards to sell with proceeds going to research?

Christy
Old 10-06-2006, 05:52 PM   #368
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome, Christy. I haven't done an SU! fundraiser yet. I'm planning one for April as it's ASD awareness month. I think Sharon (srogers5) does one every year too. A lot of ladies have been mailing DS and asking for a stamp set to benefit autism and raise awareness. I love the idea, and really hope it pans out.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #369
Kookie Creator

Trick or Treat.... My ds loves to go trick-or-treating. He doesn't like candy, so it's not about that - for him it's about walking in the dark with a flashlight and knocking on doors. He won't wear a mask or put anything over his head (like a hood or a ghost outfit), so he's been things like a scarecrow or a pumpkin.... this year he wants to be 'daddy' (daddy is military) so he has his own fatiques and we are going to paint his face like camoflage. Anyway, halloween is a big deal at our house - we have fun with it!!

My gallery
Old 10-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #370
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to fiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbornegina
Hey everyone, I have a question for you!

What color of hair does your autistic child have?
What color of eyes?
Is your child female or male?

The reason I'm asking is when Andrew was about 3, his OT told me that 90% of her patients were boys with blonde hair and blue eyes! I found this very interesting!

Hi all - not been around for a while, but I'd like to add to that, comment about the blond, blue -eyed boys, are yours above average height? 'cos that's something else that apparantly goes with it!

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 10-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #371
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2stampers
My Andrew has blond hair and blue eyes. I'm also beginning to wonder after reading this thread, what percentage are named Andrew

Funny that - I went to a conference held by Tony Attwood from Australia and one of his interns noticed that most of the kids names started with J - we have a Joshua, do you think theres anything in that? At my school, the Autistic unit has a number of boys with the initial J

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 10-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #372
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandomom2
aw, hi katiestamper - we're all wondering around in Holland too - welcome! some days are wonderful and some days are rougher than any of us could've ever imagined - vent away our new friend - you're in the right place!

I have to tell you that before I 'went to Holland' I actually went to Holland and have some great pics of DS. He loved it there, said he liked it the best of all the countries we've been to. Do you think theres something in it?

Fiona

Tales from the Shed
Old 10-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #373
Stampin' Fool

Mine is blue-eyed, strawberry blond and 5' 2" and only 85 lbs at age 13. I am not sure if this is "normal" for an Aspie or not. The boys in his family run tall, but they are all Aspie too, even if they won't admit it!
Old 10-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #374
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via AIM to mishy Send a message via Yahoo to mishy

The blond hair and blue eye things sounds freaky.

My 3 year old son has blond hair, blue eyes, and he goes by the name Jr.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #375
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiestamps
So do your guys trick or treat?

and if they do...............

What are they going to be?

Megan has told me she wants to be a super hero, the one with the S, I say superman and she say no super hero the one with the S................lol..she's so darn cute!
Well we went to get her costume, and it wasn't superman like I thought it was spiderman, guess i should never assume anything...............lol
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 10-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #376
Stazon Splitcoast

Kelly,
She'll be so cute. Be sure to post a pic for us. This afternoon I'll take Caleb to see if he wants to pick a costume. I'll let you know what he decides.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:00 AM   #377
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to caostampin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sra_nelson
He's very well behaved at school so I know he can be good. He just knows how to push my buttons. We're working on it but it gets frustrating (as I'm sure you all know).
Christy, I know where you are coming from on this one. My son Andrew (5) is the same way. I rarely hear of a behavior problem at school, but when he's with me - a totally different type of behavior. It really is a challenge.

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Old 10-12-2006, 07:56 AM   #378
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by caostampin
Christy, I know where you are coming from on this one. My son Andrew (5) is the same way. I rarely hear of a behavior problem at school, but when he's with me - a totally different type of behavior. It really is a challenge.
My Andrew has also been very good in school, except at the beginning of the year (every year), he has a super hard time transitioning back to school. This year was so bad, he was very violent with the staff and running away from school. He seems to finally be getting in to the routine.

I guess what I'm saying is, hopefully your kids won't have problems once they get older. I have heard that happens a lot, but didn't think it would be a problem for us..... it was, though!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:40 AM   #379
Matboard Maniac

I'm not sure if anyone posted this or not but I thought I would let everyone know.

Comedy central is hosting an autism benefit thing tonight. Here's the link to it.

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/n...rs/index.jhtml
Old 10-15-2006, 09:42 AM   #380
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiona
Hi all - not been around for a while, but I'd like to add to that, comment about the blond, blue -eyed boys, are yours above average height? 'cos that's something else that apparantly goes with it!

Mines also tall for his age. People think he's about 5 years old instead of 3.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:44 AM   #381
Inking Addict

Default New to the autism support group

hi everyone,

i'm so glad to have found you! i posted a quick email on the Family Matters board and was redirected here... i should have known that SCS would have one--they have everything!

my son is 6 years old, and was different from birth. he has aspergers with some OCD and tons of ADHD. he jumps and flaps when he is excited visually or in his brain... but it doesn't bother me. what does bother me is that he has major behavior issues...he's so ADHD it's not funny. we tried various stimulants all summer and while they helped him pay attention and be compliant, it made him nasty; and when he came off the meds it was NO fun. now we move onto harder meds because we just can't take the behaviors anymore. he's out of control in his SPED classroom (specifically for HFA/aspergers kids). but he's also very smart (too smart!) and imaginative and usually happy and i don't want to lose any of that on meds.

his obsessions currently are science and drawing machines/inventions. he LOVES Jimmy Neutron videos. when he was a baby it was balls. he's always had great gross motor skills and when he was 1.5-2 years old he would shoot basketballs for an hour at a time. (of of my first clues something was up!)

like so many others here he potty trained late, had a pacifier until 5, and i won't even disclose when he stopped breastfeeding!

he and i are very enmeshed because i've always been the only one who understands him and can help him regulate himself. my husband loves him and accepts him, but just can't tune in to him enough to have a great relationship with him. he's our only child. i always said when he got easier, i would think about having another. hah! that day hasn't come yet and now i'm too old.

my major issue right now is trying to figure out how i'm ever going to have a life. i discovered stamping/card making this summer and am soooo glad i did. it is my therapy. before my son was born i worked for myself as a graphic designer, but now can't handle the stress of deadlines in addition to the stress of my son. i'm just stressed out! i can't seem to stay organized or keep up with anything.

anyway, enough about me. i'm looking forward to reading through everyone's posts. how does this thread work? do we just stay on this one thread?

hope this thread stays active. we need each other!

best,
staci
Old 10-17-2006, 05:47 AM   #382
Inking Addict

wow, blonde/blue-eyed boys with names starting with J. my son's name is Justin and he has the most gorgeous light blonde hair and blue eyes! i think more kids are just being given "J" names nowadays and that coincides with the increase in diagnoses...
Old 10-17-2006, 05:58 AM   #383
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motherof6
Oh I forgot to add I found this site that has some great stuff
http://www.cafepress.com/buy/aspergers

I need this pin!
what a great site!! there are sooo many good ones there i can't pick just one. thanks for sharing.

staci
Old 10-17-2006, 06:10 AM   #384
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome, Staci.

You're not alone. Being an ASD parent can be really stressful. I tell my friends that I don't have time to clean - I have to teach my kids to play. Mine are 2 (PDD) and 5. Now that they're both in school part time I have a little time to get things done. I don't know what I'll do in January when my little guy turns 3 and starts going everyday. After a week of "I miss my baby!" crying I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Anyway, we just post when we have little triumphs and hard mornings. We celebrate accomplishments and support one another through difficulties. So if you have a question or concern..post away and someone can probably give you some insight.

Take care.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:29 AM   #385
Gallery Gazer

"he's always had great gross motor skills and when he was 1.5-2 years old he would shoot basketballs for an hour at a time. (of of my first clues something was up!)"

My DD has always been good at this too, her gross motor skills are great, fine motor is pretty good now, but we have been working on them for a few years now. DD also flaps when excited or visually stimulated and I love it hubby and I always say you can tell she is happy from across the room, at for me it is a beautiful sight. My DD's biologiacal father has never been able to establish a much of relationship with her, he doesn't want to put in the work to earn the prize, but her stepdad had managed to break into her world within a week of meeting her, they have a beautiful relationship.

Staci I am so happy you found us and look forward to hearing more from you.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 10-17-2006, 07:23 AM   #386
Stazon Splitcoast

Welcome Staci!

Just knowing this thread is here to share joy or sorrow is a relief for me. Knowing there are others going through the same things at the same time and understand what we are going through helps sooo much!

My DS is one who has to have everything even. When building with his blocks they have to always be uniform. He always lines up his toys in a perfect order. He rarely plays with them besides lining things up. He has to make sure his food is eaten evenly (sandwhiches straight, same amount of all sides of a bowl etc.)

We did have a very good day on Sunday. My parents were coming over and he always acts up the most with them since he gets so excited he looses all control. When they got here he started pouting and I talked to him and he played very nice with his brother and sister We only had to take him out maybe 3 times in 2 hours. Usually it is constant telling him to stop or slow down. DH & I where so proud of him.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Old 10-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #387
Kookie Creator

hello guys - ok, the last 2 weeks have been horrible - background 16 yr old DS, Nick - Asperger's, ADHD, anxiety, paranoia, and OCD issues -at home he is absolutely no problem - at school he is just overwhelmed and has been having behavior problems - some i think are minor and don't know why his IEP mgr feel compelled to let me know - eg. Nick told some girl who he doesn't know, who i give her credit was trying to help him with an unexpected change in his routine -- "Don't talk to me. I don't like you" - I agree this was rude, but I didn't think it warrants dashing off an email to me.

Then the IEP mgr emails to say Nick is acting out in Eng and Gym and i MUST schedule conferences with ALL his teachers - and oh, by the way, don't tell Nick she emailed me because she promised him she wouldn't tell me --well, isn't that nice - she lies to him and she looks like the good guy and I'm suppose to deal with incidents I know nothing about - ok - this is the first i've heard of these issues and ALL Nick's teachers have my email and have used it in the past when there was a problem - and we have school wide conferences next Monday but they are only 10 to 15 min - I'm sure we can accomplish a lot in this amount of time ( dripping sarcasm)

Then Friday comes and Nick has a major incident in the locker room after gym - by the way, there is no adult supervision in the locker room - Nick is waiting to get a paper towel, 2 boys are blocking the dispenser. Nick asks for a towel - one boy grabs one and proceeds to play "keep away" with it - kid turns his back and NIck taps him on shoulder - here's where it starts to go totally downhill -- Nick said it was a tap, kid says it was a push - kid turns around and barks "did you hit me?" Nick get frightened and runs back into other area of locker room - kid follows and "karate" kicks Nick in the back (everyone agrees on the kick) and adds stream of profanity- Nick turns and says I don't want to fight you and again tries to flee - Nick gets to a bathroom stall where kid "puts his hand out like a football player" - kid's words - Nick perspective was he put out his hand and hit the side of my face hard enough to drop Nick to the floor - followed again by profanity dealing with kicking Nick's a@@ --- so Nick goes looking for gym teacher - he's no where to be found -- so Nick gets dressed and goes to 10th grade office --of course principal is also no where to be found - so Nick reports it to secretary - Nick lets her know he's scared and she has a security guard escort Nick to his locker to get his lunch -- no one follows up on this on Friday -I called office when I found out about it after school on Friday and was told they'd investigate on Monday.

Ok - i knew right then this wasn't going to turn out well - Nick like lots of other AS kids has major trouble recognizing faces - he didn't know the kid who hit him and by Monday he couldnt' identify him - so gym teacher asks Nick to find someone who witnessed this altercation - Nick finds 1 boy who will say he saw it. Boy writes up statement, which matches with the kick in the back and with Nick's face running into kids hand, but didn't see the tap/push that started it all .

Kid who pushed is identified and says Nick pushed him on the neck - he admits kicking Nick, says nothing about the profanity, and says Nick's face got in the way when he put out his hand -- so now principal says Kid is a "good kid" and if he believes Nick version he has to believe Kids' version and with that they both should be suspended!!! holy carp!!! principal suggests he gets them together and they both apologize -- well this is great - Nick's the victim and its all his fault!

I really grilled Nick - its not that he can't lie, he's just not very good at it and when pressured, he usually cracks - he stuck with his story - he did say he probably tapped the kid harder than he should, but he didn't push/slap -- so he waited all day to be called to the principal office to "apologize" and it never happened - he's a total nervous wreck - i told him that the only thing he has to apologize for is the tap - and if this Kid is sooooo good( principal words) how come he felt it was ok to respond to a tap with a kick, profanities and slap???

I've pretty much given up on trying to get through to these people - they just don't understand autism - they had another AS kid a year ago, he was very quiet and a genius in geography - they don't understand why Nick isn't like this -- I saw a great quote in a newspaper article today on autism " If you've seen one child with autism, you've seen ONE child with autism" they aren't all the same!!!!

I'm just really tired of beating my head against the wall here -- I can't wait to get him out of high school, but I'm worried sick that he's going to have a hard time finding and keeping a job -- another quote from the paper "You can't let autism control your whole life, but that's easier said than done" that is sooo right --

here's hoping tomorrow is a better day!

carol
Old 10-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #388
Gallery Gazer

First off (((HUGS))) to you! Wow, I don't even know what to say. I think you need to have a longer meeting and express your concerns about how your son's needs are not being met, as a parent you have the right request a meeting other then thr regular IEP's. We are still in elementry school, i'm not looking forward to high school.
Diaries Of A Stamper
Old 10-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #389
Stampin' Fool

Staci, welcome to our thread. I have found comfort here knowing I am not alone. I can relate to the flapping except Connor literally bounces. He's like Tigger, but he's 13. I'm sure when we go to Disney, he will be bouncing all of the time.

Carol, big hugs. It's time to prepare for battle!!! The school has to follow his IEP by law. I would prepare for a meeting with all of his teachers, assistant principal, counselor and anyone else you need. The website O.A.S.I.S. has some great material for meeting with the school. It's time for another one for me. These meetings always wear me out, but at least the school knows I am paying attention. Also, there are provisions in our school district to discipline kids with disabilities differently than NT kids. You may want to check their website. Hang in there.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #390
Inking Addict

thank you all for the welcome here. i'm sorry you will have to battle the school system carol. that is so discouraging and draining. we fought to get our son into the aspergers program in our county schools. it's the right place for him, the only down side is there aren't any good role models for him. there are only 3 kids in the class including my son, with 3 adults (1 teacher and 2 support staff) and the classroom is still a 3-ring circus! i dread when my son has to go to middle school or high school.

we found it helpful to hire an educational advocate and bring her to our iep and placement meetings. i know your situation is different, but am wondering if bringing an outside professional in would help...

staci
Old 10-17-2006, 06:08 PM   #391
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeescrapper
David has been counting down to Halloween, he is so excited about it. He's 6 and this is the 1st year I have let him pick out his outfit. In the past he's been Buzz Lightyear, Thomas the train and stuff like that. We went to the Halloween shop and they had everything you could think of. What did he want to be? The scary thing from the Scream movies, the black cape with the white face mask. He said he wants to be scary this year. I was shocked, but he's happy with it.

What is everyone else wearing??

Tracy
i'm reading these posts backwards. this is so funny! my son is 6 and is exactly the same!! he wanted the Scream costume. i wouldn't allow it, mostly because it creeps me out. we settled on Darth Vader (or Dark Vader as justin calls him). he doesn't know who Darth Vader is, having never seen the movies. he always loved Zurg in Toy Story and Darth is basically the same character. anyway, my son LOVES to say he is "evil." he's infatuated with the idea of being bad and doing bad things. that's just what every mother wants to hear, right? i talked with his psych about it and he told me not to worry, that this is common in asperger kids because 1) it helps them feel in control 2) it's a much easier paradigm to understand than being "good" and 3) it's exciting.

any others with kids who want to be "evil"?

staci
Old 10-18-2006, 01:52 AM   #392
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maddy Mason

There are so many messages here it will take me a while to read through them all, but I would like to jump in with some very encouraging news. My son David, now 27, was diagnosed at age 5 with "autistic-like tendencies", but was was never actually classified, as he always seemed to fall between the cracks. It wasn't until he was about 18 that he was finally diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome- a diagnosis that didn't even exist when he was a child. The nightmare we endured raising him nearly drove me over the edge, and seriously impacted the life of my other son, Ben, now 25. It took until he was in his early 20's to discover that he was gluten and casein sensitive, and, with strict dietary changes, his life has made an absolutely phenomenal turn-around. PS- He has gone back to college for a second degree in Human Biology, and, hopefully, will be heading to medical school next year. He has many friends, a wonderful girlfriend, and has no shred of any of his former aberrant behaviors. I am in the early stages of writing a book about him. Stay tuned!

The message here is to do your own research about your own children, and don't look to doctors like they are Gods. Never give up looking for answers.

Hugggs to Everyone!
Maddy

Click here: Splitcoast Gallery - Maddy Mason Gallery

"Friendship isn't about whom you have known the longest, but about who came and never left your side."

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
-Leonardo daVinci

Leave a comment- make someone smile!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:40 AM   #393
Crimping Master

My cousins grandson has just been put on the gluten/casein free diet. They are in hopes that this will further aid in improving his life.

Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy Mason
There are so many messages here it will take me a while to read through them all, but I would like to jump in with some very encouraging news. My son David, now 27, was diagnosed at age 5 with "autistic-like tendencies", but was was never actually classified, as he always seemed to fall between the cracks. It wasn't until he was about 18 that he was finally diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome- a diagnosis that didn't even exist when he was a child. The nightmare we endured raising him nearly drove me over the edge, and seriously impacted the life of my other son, Ben, now 25. It took until he was in his early 20's to discover that he was gluten and casein sensitive, and, with strict dietary changes, his life has made an absolutely phenomenal turn-around. PS- He has gone back to college for a second degree in Human Biology, and, hopefully, will be heading to medical school next year. He has many friends, a wonderful girlfriend, and has no shred of any of his former aberrant behaviors. I am in the early stages of writing a book about him. Stay tuned!

The message here is to do your own research about your own children, and don't look to doctors like they are Gods. Never give up looking for answers.

Hugggs to Everyone!
Maddy
Old 10-18-2006, 02:45 AM   #394
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Maddy Mason

Cheryl,

Your cousin's son is very lucky indeed, to have been offered this dietary advice when so many millions will never hear about it. I wish him the best of luck, and even if there are no immediate miracles, it is a much healthier way to eat than consuming all the junk out there these days. Keep us posted!
Hugggs!
Maddy

Click here: Splitcoast Gallery - Maddy Mason Gallery

"Friendship isn't about whom you have known the longest, but about who came and never left your side."

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
-Leonardo daVinci

Leave a comment- make someone smile!
Old 10-18-2006, 03:31 AM   #395
Crimping Master

Smile

Thanks Maddy. My cousin goes to visit - she lives in MD he lives in Washington state - as often as she can so she can help work with him. He is now 4 and even though he has a long way to go he has improved a great deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy Mason
Cheryl,

Your cousin's son is very lucky indeed, to have been offered this dietary advice when so many millions will never hear about it. I wish him the best of luck, and even if there are no immediate miracles, it is a much healthier way to eat than consuming all the junk out there these days. Keep us posted!
Hugggs!
Maddy
Old 10-20-2006, 05:10 AM   #396
Embossing Fanatic

I just had an excellent meeting with the public school's behavioral specialist this week! Caleb (3 1/2) hits and kicks us when he gets upset (a frequent occurance as you can imagine). He really lashes out at his younger sister (1 1/2). We've been trying to get this under control now while we are bigger than he is. The specialist noticed that his hitting looks impulsive--like he doesn't know what else to do, in contrast to hitting just because he wants to hurt us. She suggested using a social story strip and giving him the alternative of a stress ball attached to his pants with a key ring. I'm supposed to intentionally get him upset (not difficult to do since all I have to do is move something out of his "line") and then do the social story and have him squeeze his ball instead of hit. I asked how much I should be doing this and she said, "A LOT!". I'm willing to do anything if it will keep him from harming us. I know he can do it because he has zero behavior problems at his preschool. I'm looking forward to trying this and hope that it helps in our situation.

Has anyone here had to do something similar?
Old 10-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #397
Inking Addict

Default behavior programs

we've worked behavior programs but not quite like this. hey, if it works, do it! we've tried many different things to change our son's aggressive behavior and the one that works most often is counting 1-2-3 with 3 being a 6-minute time-out in a time=out room. (an empty upstairs bedroom and we lock him in.) for some reason he really hates this so rarely gets to 3. but he ALWAYS gets to 2. now if he hits, it's an automatic 3 and he goes to the time-out room.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #398
Embossing Fanatic

Caleb loves to count so that hasn't been a strategy we've been able to use with him. It works wonders with my 19 month old, however (typically developing).
This thread has been so great just hearing what other people are doing and knowing that I'm not the only one in the world dealing with these types of things (although sometimes it sure does seem like it!).
Old 10-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #399
Stazon Splitcoast

Awhile back, someone posted the poem called, Welcome to Holland. I made a scrapbook page that incorporated the poem.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...88488&cat=7362
Old 10-21-2006, 07:58 PM   #400
Stazon Splitcoast

Jen,
Beautiful page. Well Done.