Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #121
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm sorry I kind of lost it earlier... it just really hit home for the first time this morning.
I went through a little "mourning" phase with my DD, just kind of a time when I let myself feel the sadness that comes when you realize your child is not 100% normal.
But I didn't really know what we were facing then. Now, I KNOW what we are facing with my DD and the challenges and the stress, and the thought of facing it with my DS is just really hard for me to accept right now. I was literally typing and then burst into tears. That is really not like me.
I guess I am going to have to allow myself to have a little mourning period for my DS as well. It's ok for me to be sad that he is not going to be "perfect" and that we will always have these quirks and issues to deal with. It's ok for me to feel upset that our lives will not be as easy as it would have been with no issues. It's ok for me to wonder why God has allowed this into our lives.

I guess I just need a little time to be upset before I suck it up and get on with life. This will be our new normal .... in a little while.

I found a chapter of some SPD group that meets in our town. I e-mailed the leader months ago and she never got back to me, so I guess I will just show up at the meeting some night. I'm glad I have this group, at least!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #122
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie View Post
I'm sorry I kind of lost it earlier... it just really hit home for the first time this morning.
I went through a little "mourning" phase with my DD, just kind of a time when I let myself feel the sadness that comes when you realize your child is not 100% normal.
But I didn't really know what we were facing then. Now, I KNOW what we are facing with my DD and the challenges and the stress, and the thought of facing it with my DS is just really hard for me to accept right now. I was literally typing and then burst into tears. That is really not like me.
I guess I am going to have to allow myself to have a little mourning period for my DS as well. It's ok for me to be sad that he is not going to be "perfect" and that we will always have these quirks and issues to deal with. It's ok for me to feel upset that our lives will not be as easy as it would have been with no issues. It's ok for me to wonder why God has allowed this into our lives.

I guess I just need a little time to be upset before I suck it up and get on with life. This will be our new normal .... in a little while.

I found a chapter of some SPD group that meets in our town. I e-mailed the leader months ago and she never got back to me, so I guess I will just show up at the meeting some night. I'm glad I have this group, at least!!
Wow! I didn't even know there was such a thing. How did you find out about it?

I would love to find something similar in my area. I'm struggling to get the right pediatrician for DS and would love the opinion of other parents nearby.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:14 PM   #123
down and digi

Quote:
Wow, some great solutions from creative SPD moms here!!!

I just had a revelation while catching up on the posts... my son has been completely scatterbrained lately, to the point that my DH and I have just had it up to here with him. He also has a big raw spot on one side of his mouth from licking it! I can't believe I didn't catch that that could be an SPD thing.

Please, my friends, pray for me today. I just hit me like a ton of bricks right now. I am sitting here bawling. I kind of knew he had a lot of symptoms of SPD but it hadn't really sunk in. I can hardly deal with ONE SPD kid, let alone two. That they are so different, one sensory-seeking, one sensory-avoiding, makes it so hard to deal with them.

I have to get off now and get ready to go to Kindermusik with my SPD DD. But please remember me in prayer today. I pray for all of you as well.
HUGS!!!!!!! I don't quite know what to say.

I've been told that SPD is heriditary and that makes sense to me. I think my Dad, his sister, myself and my DS have it.

One thing that will be nice for your son, is that you are already so aware of some of the issues, that he will have a much easier time than most kids with SPD.

HUGS!!!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:36 AM   #124

There was a flyer on our library bulletin board that caught my husband's eye. I took one of the tear-off slips, but she never got back to me. I hope that doesn't mean the group is a bust. So I think I will just show up and see what happens. I am excited to meet them in person. I know there must be more in our town but I have never met any.
here's the website: http://www.sinetwork.org/
I guess there are chapters all over. Good luck finding one near you! Or maybe you could start your own!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #125

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers... I feel a little better today. DS is home (snow day) and I am going to spend extra time today with him. It will help me remember all the good things about him and also be thankful that it is no worse than it is.
I saw a mentally disabled person yesterday being led around by their parent and it was like a slap upside the head, as we say in Wyoming. Things could be so much worse. My kids will grow up to be self-sufficent adults with marraiges and families of their own, while her "baby" will never leave her home, never grow up, never be self-sufficient.
I just need to focus on what I CAN change and be thankful for that.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #126

Ugh... we had an "interesting" weekend with a family wedding and a bunch of Christmas parties and programs.... one more tonight and then we're done for a while. I'm glad. We all need a break.
I couldn't force DD to stand on the platform last night for the Sunday School program. She knew her lines and she's been singing the songs all month, but when push came to shove she could not go up on that platform with those bright lights and all the kids around her. She was crying, not throwing a fit but just standing there with hopeless tears streaming down her face and I just couldn't do it. I don't care if anyone else understood or not, she needed to be off that stage right then. Some people probably thought I was spoiling her but I don't give a rip. I know my baby and I know those were tears not of rebellion or a simple "I don't feel like doing this" but a desperate plea for understanding and protection.
So we enjoyed the program and cheered DS on from the front row, safely back out of the lights and all by ourselves. Whew... I'm glad that's over. Who thinks it's cute to put kids through all this stress???
Old 12-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #127
down and digi

I think you handled it great! Good for you! I would have done the same. Whose going to stand up for our kids if we don't?

Does anyone's SPD kids get overexcited (beyond the norm) this time of year? MY DS gets so far gone that he is really difficult. He has been completely scattered for 4 weeks now, and he's at the point now that he is not falling asleep until after 10:00 pm. He lies there for 2 hours and stares at the ceiling. I feel for the kid, but I feel for me too

He's like this for every special or unique day out there. He's even added extra days to the year because we don't have enough to celebrate already

He will start planning the next Halloween by Oct 25 Christmas is definitely the worst though.

My DD (non-SPD) is the opposite this year because she loves her teacher so much that she doesn't want the Christmas break. She is so upset that it's Christmas. How can I win??? It's compounded by the fact that her teacher's father died last week and she hasn't been at school for since Wed morning. She left without warning while they were at recess, but today we found out she will be a school on the last day to goodbye to the kids.

BTW, DD is now being monitored for post-concussion syndrome as a result of her concussion in late November.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:43 AM   #128
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to Dorinda Send a message via Yahoo to Dorinda

K2 sounds like he has anxiety to me, the excitement and the staying awake and stuff over those special occasions....not all anxiety is negative but it still can interfere with sleeping eating and organization.
Have you ever tried melatonin with him? It is all natural already produced by our bodies anyway but someof us do not produce quite enough to get us to drift off to sleep.
It is typically found OTC in the health food/vitamin sections it takes very little to do the trick. Ask your Dr about it. My kids Dr's have reccomended it several times and it is especially helpful over high anxiety times.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:46 AM   #129
Stazon Splitcoast

GWTW
I think you did the right thing. Forcing it would not have been of benefit to anyone...it is something she will learn to overcome slowly and with a lot of love and support...Good for you girl!

Old 12-18-2007, 07:57 AM   #130
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorinda View Post
K2 sounds like he has anxiety to me, the excitement and the staying awake and stuff over those special occasions....not all anxiety is negative but it still can interfere with sleeping eating and organization.
Have you ever tried melatonin with him? It is all natural already produced by our bodies anyway but someof us do not produce quite enough to get us to drift off to sleep.
It is typically found OTC in the health food/vitamin sections it takes very little to do the trick. Ask your Dr about it. My kids Dr's have reccomended it several times and it is especially helpful over high anxiety times.
Thanks D! He definitely has anxiety - good and bad. I didn't know Melatonin could help with it. I will ask about it when I take DD in this week.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #131
down and digi

BTW, ladies, if you don't know Dorinda already, she works with kids like ours (and those far more severe) She's a very, very smart lady! And a wonderful friend too
Old 12-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #132
Watercolor Wizard

Elisabeth, I agree, you did the right thing. Something like that can be way overwhelming to little ones!

It's been tough with my DS the past few weeks too. He's really wound up. If ANYTHING breaks his routine, he loses it.

Normally part of the kids' bed routine is us bringing in a small cup of water for each of them. The other night my younger son didn't want the water and my older son full on PUNCHED HIM for not drinking his water. That's the kind of stuff that I don't understand and can't deal with. Sure, it messes with the routine a little, but whether his brother drinks water or not has nothing to do with him!!

He was absolutely freaking out about something else the other night (I can't even remember what!) and was running around screaming to the point that I was afraid he was going to run through the glass door or hurt himself somehow, and I was so frustrated I was worried I was going to end up hurting him myself! I can totally see how kids like this can wind up being abused. I have to step back a lot and just calm down before I grab him and smack him silly.

I think we both need help for anxiety right now.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #133
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2stampers View Post
Thanks D! He definitely has anxiety - good and bad. I didn't know Melatonin could help with it. I will ask about it when I take DD in this week.

Thanks!!!
It will help him with sleep...make him sleepy and be able to shut down easier so that he can sleep

Old 12-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #134
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
BTW, ladies, if you don't know Dorinda already, she works with kids like ours (and those far more severe) She's a very, very smart lady! And a wonderful friend too
Back atcha

Old 12-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #135
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Really? Cool!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #136
Stazon Splitcoast

Here is some reading on Melatonin:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mel...ient-melatonin

Old 12-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #137
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorinda View Post
Very interesting! Where was all this info when DS was the newborn who NEVER slept?! Every book I read talked about how newborns needed 22-23 hours of sleep a day, yet DS never slept. Everyone always commented on how "alert" he looked for a newborn. Alert really meant wired.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlicorice View Post
Very interesting! Where was all this info when DS was the newborn who NEVER slept?! Every book I read talked about how newborns needed 22-23 hours of sleep a day, yet DS never slept. Everyone always commented on how "alert" he looked for a newborn. Alert really meant wired.
Augh, I remember that... both my kids NEVER slept as babies!!! Interesting... any other moms with this experience?
Old 12-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #139

My kids are both so scattered right now I can barely contain them. I think it is just everything going on--way too much stimulation, late nights, wierd foods, lots of music, meeting relatives, even the lights--just too much.

My DD has regressed with her language skills a little even. Her sentences make a lot less sense lately (or maybe I'm just too tired myself to make sense of it). Interestingly, her spine was out of alignment in several spots at our chiropractic treatment today, and it is rarely out much anymore with all these treatments. My guess is stress...
Old 12-19-2007, 05:14 AM   #140
down and digi

DS slept 23 1/2 hours a day for the first 2 weeks and then overnight he dropped to 15 hours.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:38 AM   #141
down and digi

Ack!

DS had a math test yesterday and failed it because he cannot focus. He doodled all over his answers so much that the answers are no long legible.

The teacher understands the problem, but she's going to hold him accountable for this in an effort to shake him up a bit. I cannot say I disagree. That kid needs to start realizing that there are consequences in life and he cannot get everything the way he wants it to be.

This morning he had a crying fit because his sister took the last breakfast bar in his favorite colour and he had to pick another one. I told him that she had it first, and maybe if he didn't act so silly, and start moving a little faster, he would have gotten it first. Natural consequences His crying lasted for 15 minutes.

Ack!
Old 12-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #142
Watercolor Wizard

The whole "natural consequences" thing is a hard lesson at our house too. I read the parenting book "Love & Logic" and thought I'd test a few things out. Rather than nag and nag DS to do his homework, I told him once and let it go. The next morning on the way to school he panicked when he realized it wasn't finished and scrambled to get it done. When we got to school and it wasn't finished, he refused to get out of the car and I had to drag him out kicking and screaming. I'm sure everyone in the front office saw me yanking him out of the car and wondered what was going on! I drove away and he chased after my car sobbing. I drove around the corner and watched him until he gave up and went to class, but he ended up having an awful day, picking a fight with another kid and getting a warning note sent home.

I don't know if a "typical" kid would have had quite the same dramatic reaction, or if he was just too young still, but I haven't tried it since, although the homework thing is still a total drag.

Another time, he was repeatedly PUNCHING his little brother on the way home from church, so I told him that wasn't allowed in my car and pulled over for him to walk home. (We were already in our neighborhood around the corner from our house). Once again, I yanked him from the car kicking and screaming, locked the doors and drove off, only a few feet ahead of him. Another man pulled over and started getting out of his car, apparently ready to come over and let me know what he thought of my child abuse, but I guess he probably figured out what was going on because he eventually drove away. DS was a total wreck after that. Something like that will destroy OUR entire day!

Last edited by goodlicorice; 12-19-2007 at 08:38 AM..
Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #143
Matboard Maniac

Smile Hi...

I just found this thread. I haven’t had the time to read through all the treads yet but I want to. Maybe later tonight…

First I want to say is I'd like to someone show me a "normal" kid and I'll show you a person who's lying... Define “normal”. ;D (sorry, this is just me being a little sassy)

Although my ds1 (4½) has not been officially (or should I say clinically) diagnosed with SID but from what I've read he definitely has SID tendencies...super high tolerance for pain (didn't complain of his ear hurting until his ear drum popped, took to the ped's office only to find out he had an ear infection and that's when we found out about the pop--never cried ), he doesn't sit normal in chairs (feet where head is and head were feet go--crazy kid! ), gags at soups and casseroles (too many textures for his brain to process), as well as some other stuff. I talked with our school’s occupational therapist about ds1’s behavior and she offered up suggestions in helping him. He receives services for a Language issue (it’s more like a comprehension issue; some confuse it with speech but he speaks very clearly for his age) and OT for motor skills. He is a highly imaginative child that is excelling in mathematical areas (not that he can add or subtract or anything; just certain things he’s doing well beyond his years that’s related to mathematical area, does that make sense?).

For those of you who's kids suffer from ADHD and don't think that the label is appropriate for you child or believe that they do not have it you may be dealing with a version of food allergy. Now I'm no expert but it's my understanding that wheat/gluten can sometimes (and I really want to stress sometimes) be an underlying cause of attention deficient issues. Just a little something to chew on and possibly look into. BTW, ds1 has a peanut allergy and possibly a coconut allergy. We’re testing him for more FA (food allergies) in January b/c of some attention issues (as well as behavioral) he’s having in school. I would rather not medicate him if we can control his symptoms with his diet. But that’s just me. I’ve ate my words before regarding medicating for general allergies but I’m happily doing it b/c he’s so much better off now. What a difference!!

I'm looking forward to reading all the thread and learning more from the experiences you've all had. Best wishes to all. Nothing better than the support of those who know what we’re dealing with, right?
Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #144
Matboard Maniac

Default Confession of a lurker

first off, I don't have kids of my own, I am a Stepmom however. My 13 YO who lives with her mom takes meds for ADHD.

I want to tell you all how much I've learned from you. Now when I see parents struggling I think of the experiences you have described and I try to show compassion.

so from someone who only has a little exposure, thank you. Thank you very much.
Annette
Old 12-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #145
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercrafting View Post
first off, I don't have kids of my own, I am a Stepmom however. My 13 YO who lives with her mom takes meds for ADHD.

I want to tell you all how much I've learned from you. Now when I see parents struggling I think of the experiences you have described and I try to show compassion.

Annette

Thanks! It's nice to hear that every once in awhile. I know that we get stared at, and I know that the teacher thinks of me as a `helicopter parent' - how could she not? But, it's nice to hear every so often that maybe people are adjusting their thinking by being exposed.

BTW, I graduated from Brookswood in Langley in 1990.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #146
Matboard Maniac

"BTW, I graduated from Brookswood in Langley in 1990"

small world, eh? we live near campbell valley park on a half acre, it's beaustiful here.

TFS
Old 12-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #147
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercrafting View Post

Annette
This is so nice to hear!

I think having my son has totally changed my perception of being "a good parent". Before, I read tons of parenting books and I was pretty judgemental of how I perceived other people raising their kids, but now I realize most people are truly doing the best they can. If someone's child is freaking out in a store, I now realize it may have little to do with the parenting and have more to do with the circumstances in the store and everything that day that led up to them being in the store in the first place! I'm now waaay more understanding when someone's child is having a fit because I've been there so many times and have heard people's "suggestions" and have never known just how to respond.

I also think some people who've already raised their kids have pretty selective memories of what it's really like.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #148
Matboard Maniac

Red face sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtLvr View Post
For those of you who's kids suffer from ADHD and don't think that the label is appropriate for you child or believe that they do not have it you may be dealing with a version of food allergy. Now I'm no expert but it's my understanding that wheat/gluten can sometimes (and I really want to stress sometimes) be an underlying cause of attention deficient issues. Just a little something to chew on and possibly look into.
I just want to appoligize for my previous statement. Now that I'm able to read through the post (still have a few more pages to go) I see you all know. Again...very sorry...
Old 12-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #149
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
My DS is 7 and he has it too.

For our DS, it's the medical problems that crop up that us the most problems.

Recently he was coming down with a cold, and the doctor figured that because of the SPD, his immune system interpreted the virus wrong and treated it like an allergy - he got hives on his lungs Then he went on to say that because of the SPD, our DS misinterpretted the itchiness as pain. So, the symtpom that we saw was him clutching at his chest and complaining of terrible pain. The teachers thought he was having a heart attack.

Thanks for starting this. I've also tried to start it, and I've also been to the autism thread, but I was getting asked by some why I was there. I stopped.

What senses are affected by your kids? My DS has difficulty with 7 out of the 9 senses. The only ones that don't affect our DS are smell and sight. He is 2-3+ years behind in the others, but he has amazing coping skills so I bang my head against a wall trying to get help for him. I even had a pediatrician kick me out of his office because he felt I was trying to make my kid into a `super kid' by seeking therapies. He called me back the next day to apologize because he had finally read the reports and realized he had been wrong.

What are your stories?
momof2stampers, I think I recognize you from an allergy thread. Or am I confused? Sorry if it's a case of mistaken identity...

Wow...your doctor called you to tell you he was wrong? I can imagine how angry you were in his office. It's very frustrating b/c many doctors do not want to recogize SID. But to call you later and appoligize...that's something. Did he help at all after that?

How is DD after her head injury? Is she better? I sure hope so. That had to be very scary.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #150
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
My DS is being monitored for ADHD, but I think it's the SPD.

He did a year of OT, and then we moved across the country and he fell out of the system. That was 3 years ago and now he has aged out. We have had him in activities like gymnastics, rock climbing and swimming because all of them work many of the muscles, but consequently, he stays just barely within range where they won't justify therapies. If we pulled him out of everything, they would do it and pay for it, but because we spend a lot of money to prevent that from happening, he doesn't get help.

He did learn to skate finally and we are super proud! We don't know if he will ever ride a bike though.
What you've described is pretty much what we are going through. We've got DS1 in soccer but after the first ½hour they loose his interest. The last 15 minutes is usually something new which throws him for a loop. DH gets very frustrated with DS1 when he stops paying attention and goofs off. I chucked it up to his language issue. But now I'm seeing that maybe it's not. It's hard to say...

Quote:
BTW, when we had him in the ER recently for his chest pains, the doctor called it Sensory Misinformation.
What does Sensory Misinformation mean? (please forgive my ignorance )
Old 12-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #151
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
I just thought of another "sensory moment". I live in AZ, and years ago I was walking with my son to the mailbox at the end of our street. He took off running and as I was trying to catch him, he ran into the neighbors' yard and basically sat on their big old cactus. I think he was probably 2 at the time. It struck me as odd because I think another child, even at that age, would have steered clear of something with giant needles sticking out of it, you know? I think it was a prickly pear, which looks like this:

http://www.desertusa.com/magoct97/oc...u_prkpear.html

Scroll down to see the better picture.

He had on a pair of shorts, and luckily a big thick diaper, because I had to rush him home and pull a bunch of needles out of his legs and crotch.
Oooo...youch! I know what you mean, though. My DS1 seaks that sort of sensory as well. Unfortunately he's been playing a little too rough with his little brother, but he's getting better. He bounces off the walls (litteraly, typically b/c he's running around the house and misjudges a corner and SMACK!) gets a hugh red mark or bruise and hardly wimpers. It's scary (just as another poster stated) b/c I'm afraid something really significant could happen and we would know until it's almost too late. He gets blood drawn every year for a RaspCap test for his food allergies and he just watches the needle go into his arm... doesn't move, flinch, or cry...
Old 12-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #152
Matboard Maniac

This is a wonderful thread. I'm so glad it was started! I'm learning SO much and now know some things I can do to help DS1 with his issues. I hope you don't mind if I lurk and ask a few questions along the way. Forgive he in advace for any stupid questions I may ask...

Best wishes to you all and have a happy holidays! God Bless!!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 PM   #153
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
I just want to appoligize for my previous statement. Now that I'm able to read through the post (still have a few more pages to go) I see you all know. Again...very sorry...
Oh, I hope you don't think I was making a comment about your suggestion about food allergies. That's not what I meant at all. I meant I got tired of strangers commenting when my son was a newborn that he must be hungry 10 minutes after I fed him or that he was probably cold, even though it was 105 degrees outside. Or that he was "spoiled" because he was my firstborn. That kind of stuff. I've had people recommend different parenting books, most of which I've already read and tried to apply or suggest that "a week with me, and he wouldn't act like that!". Ugh. Many times I've wanted to take someone up on that offer! Somehow I don't think THEY would make it through a week!

We just got back from dinner out with friends. It was nuts and I was humiliated as usual. To top it off, there was a cute family sitting behind us with well-behaved kids dressed up in holiday attire, and my son threw a hunk of the dough the waiter had given him to play with while we waited for the food and it hit them! I can't stand taking my kids anywhere nice because I know I'll be embarrassed of the way they act, and I really don't think it's fair to subject other people to my rowdy kids when they're trying to have a nice dinner. It's just easier to stay home.

Since it's my older son with SPD and my younger son totally emulates him, I have two loud, rambunctious kids on my hands. Sometimes I think if my older son had been born second instead of first, things might be a little easier. That's probably just wishful thinking though.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:19 PM   #154
Matboard Maniac

Red face It' not you...It's me...

Quote:
Oh, I hope you don't think I was making a comment about your suggestion about food allergies. That's not what I meant at all. I meant I got tired of strangers commenting when my son was a newborn that he must be hungry 10 minutes after I fed him or that he was probably cold, even though it was 105 degrees outside. Or that he was "spoiled" because he was my firstborn. That kind of stuff. I've had people recommend different parenting books, most of which I've already read and tried to apply or suggest that "a week with me, and he wouldn't act like that!". Ugh. Many times I've wanted to take someone up on that offer! Somehow I don't think THEY would make it through a week!

We just got back from dinner out with friends. It was nuts and I was humiliated as usual. To top it off, there was a cute family sitting behind us with well-behaved kids dressed up in holiday attire, and my son threw a hunk of the dough the waiter had given him to play with while we waited for the food and it hit them! I can't stand taking my kids anywhere nice because I know I'll be embarrassed of the way they act, and I really don't think it's fair to subject other people to my rowdy kids when they're trying to have a nice dinner. It's just easier to stay home.

Since it's my older son with SPD and my younger son totally emulates him, I have two loud, rambunctious kids on my hands. Sometimes I think if my older son had been born second instead of first, things might be a little easier. That's probably just wishful thinking though.
Oh my goodness...no, no, no, no, no...It’s me, really. I didn't want to give the wrong impression of myself which is SOOO easy do to on a message board. I get pretty sassy (it's how I deal with stress and the in-laws) during the holidays and w/o thinking clearly (or fully reading this wonderful thread) I posted information that was redundant. I was really afraid I might have come off wrong and wanted to apologize. That's all, really...

I'm sorry you had such a rough time tonight at dinner. I know it can be so hard. I don’t know but not going to dinner is not necessarily the answer. Keep going when it's feasible. My oldest (4½yo) is the one with issues while my youngest (he'll be 2yo in a few weeks) seems to be less of issues (I really do dislike the word *normal*). For us having a sibling for ds1 has been the best thing for him. But just as you say for your two, my ds2 is learning a lot of ds1's oddities. I just remind myself that eventually ds2 (as he grows) will see that ds1 is very unique and that he needs him for help (and the fact that he'll eventually be taught to use an EpiPen due to ds1's peanut allergy).

Maybe save the nice dining places for those special evenings out with just you and DH (that is if that's possible)? Maybe the more kid friendly and then progress in time, ya know? Just a suggestion, of course. Please forgive me if I've stepped out of place at anytime. I think I have a disease...I see a problem and I have to help solve it. Or help somehow. I should seek help… (geeze)

BTW, that other family? Yea, maybe they looked cute (and I'm sure they were, really) but you may have caught them on a good night. Yea, they might not be dealing with the complexities of a unique child like yours but I bet their life is not all roses either. The grass is not always greener... just a different lawn.

Hang in there, it has to get better.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #155

Hey! How did everyone's Christmas go? Glad to see some new faces on the thread! Welcome to you all.

We have been going going going for the past three days and when I told DD that we were going to Grandma's today she just wilted and said "can't we just stay home?" I felt so bad. She has had way too much going on and she just need some home-time with nobody around and no schedule (and no candy). But we couldn't... you know how it is.
We did try to make it as easy as possible. I purposefully put her in a sweatsuit so she would be comfortable as opposed to something frilly and Christmassy. We drove ourselves alone in our van instead of car-pooling with other relatives. We stayed just three hours and I didn't make her eat or drink anything unfamiliar. We left as soon as she started dragging. Whew! It's over. We came home and she ate her dinner (familiar mac n' cheese, again planned on purpose) and went straight to her room and played by herself with the door shut. She knows what she needs to re-center herself.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:11 PM   #156
Watercolor Wizard

We made it. DS was pretty rotten all day, but I guess that comes from the excitement.

Yesterday, he was also rotten and I swear Santa should have put coal in his stocking! I'm so tired of him beating on his brother constantly. Since I grew up with sisters only, I'm not sure how much of it is normal just because he's a boy, or how much of it is because there is just the two of them so there isn't anyone else to spread around the rivalry. Who knows, but it's getting really old. Time out and taking away 'privileges' doesn't make him change his behavior like all the experts and books say it will. He honestly just doesn't seem to "get it".

One of the toys he got today was a scooter. He probably lacks the coordination, but we figured we'd give it a try. He stays away from the skates we got him before, and prefers his Big Wheel to his bike with training wheels. We took the boys to the park to test out the new scooters and he kept trying to use his little brother's which is for smaller kids and has 4 wheels instead of two. Eventually he seemed to be getting the hang of it. We'll have to keep practicing before he gets too scared again.

We had to tell him to get back into bed a bunch of times tonight, but he finally crashed. Hallelujah.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #157

Two days now completely at home have done wonders for my two. And me! Although we've had the flu here... if you've ever seen a sensory-seeker SPD kid lie on the couch for an entire day, you know how sick my DD was!
No one else got it, so cross your fingers...
Old 12-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #158
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Two days now completely at home have done wonders for my two. And me! Although we've had the flu here... if you've ever seen a sensory-seeker SPD kid lie on the couch for an entire day, you know how sick my DD was!
No one else got it, so cross your fingers...
Oh yes, I know what you're talking about here. That's how I knew DS was REALLY sick one time. I hope you're all feeling better soon!

My younger son has hit the point where he's so tired of his older brother bothering him that he's locking himself in his room just to get away from him.

We've been going to the park a ton to burn off the extra energy Zach has. My younger son is now passed out asleep on the couch from running around so much today, but Zachary is still going strong!
Old 01-02-2008, 04:22 AM   #159
down and digi

Quote:
momof2stampers, I think I recognize you from an allergy thread. Or am I confused? Sorry if it's a case of mistaken identity...

Wow...your doctor called you to tell you he was wrong? I can imagine how angry you were in his office. It's very frustrating b/c many doctors do not want to recogize SID. But to call you later and appoligize...that's something. Did he help at all after that?

How is DD after her head injury? Is she better? I sure hope so. That had to be very scary.

That's me.

My DD is a lot better now and her residual signs from the concussion seem to be gone.

The ped did offer us an OT referral, but since we were persuing something else with DS and we let the referral go since they were the same day. We are still fighting to get back in to see the OT. The other thing we were doing that day was we had him at a specialist's appt on the side of the country because we had been told he had a year to live, but it was a wrong disgnosis complicated by SPD.

Why oh, why does my life have to be complicated?
Old 01-02-2008, 04:24 AM   #160
down and digi

Quote:

What does Sensory Misinformation mean? (please forgive my ignorance )
I have no idea That's simply what the doctor called it and since it was a new term, I thought I would mention it here.

I should probably do some research on it