Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 07:06 AM   #81
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2stampers View Post
Guess what?

My non-SPD child (6 yo DD) fell on her head yesterday and suffered a moderate concussion. Today she had few toileting accidents (first in over 3 years). I am hoping she hasn't regressed because that would be an indication of some level of brain damage. We are hoping it's simply her being `out of sorts', but she was normal today in every other way.
This is totally scary! How is she doing?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #82
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Yes, momof2stampers--give us an update!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcojo94 View Post
My son is also deaf, so a lot of the times we dont know if some of his actions are due to SID, or deafness related.For example, DS constantly hums, and we've been told its a comfort thing for him, a way to hear himself. Its almost what I would consider a tic though. His constant movement could also be due to the deafness, as he is trying to keep up with his enviroment and whats going on around him.
Wow... thank you for posting. You definitely have an additional challenge that the rest of us do not face. I can sympathize at how hard it is to define what is from the deafness and what is from the SID/SPD.

I think the humming could possibly be an SPD thing as well, though--think about how your mouth/tongue feel when you are humming--lots of vibrations, pressure. He may crave that sensation, especially if he doesn't talk with his mouth very much (I'm assuming he signs mostly?)

Or it could be a coping mechanism, another "fidget" if you would. Can you give him hard candy or gum for times when humming is inappropriate? Just throwing out some ideas. You're a veteran at this compared ot me--DD has only been diagnosed one year and DS has never been officially diagnosed.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #84
Stampin' Fool

momof2stampers, how is your dd doing now?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:12 AM   #85

Has anyone heard from her? I'm very concerned now! Hope everything is ok.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #86
Polyshrink Goddess

I almost cried when my friend forwarded me this link! My name is Alli and I have a 5 year old boy who has SPD. I just posted about it on my blog
a few days ago and was AMAZED by the number of people who were able to help me out.
I have read the Out of Sync Child and I have yet to read the Sensational Child as well.
I feel very comforted by the fact that there is a support group for people who have children with SPD (by the way I actually think I also suffer from SPD). I know all too well that SPD often gets lumped into the autism spectrum but there are many differences as well. For quite a few years we actually thought Andrew (our son) was going to be diagnosed with Aspergers. We are still very early on this road, we haven't even met with the OT yet, and have still to meet with the pediatrician again. We live in a remote community so these services are hard to find. We are here with my DH work and are starting to wonder whether or not we will need to move in order to find help for our son.
I have so much to ask and share. Please feel free to read about my story on my blog. I really look forward to getting to know you all and learning/supporting you on the road of SPD.

My Blog
My Gallery

Last edited by themilesmum; 11-28-2007 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Correction
Old 11-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #87
Watercolor Wizard

Hey, welcome, Alli! We're always happy to have another SPD mother to chat with!

My son Zachary had a totally "off" day. Normally he does really well in school because of the structure, but today we got a note home that disobeyed 3 of the class rules:

Follow directions the first time.
Remain seated until given permission to do otherwise.
and
Keep hands, feet, and other objects to yourself.

He got 2 warnings so he loses a recess tomorrow. His teacher also wrote that he was distracted all day and fidgeting and talking.

I feel bad because I think it's all related to him being tired from our big trip all last week and getting ready this morning was horrible and I ended up yelling at him out of frustration. This usually messes up his whole day. Last year we had a horrible morning once and he picked a fight at school with his best friend.

He's been so hyper lately I can barely stand it!
Old 11-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #88

Oh, Natalie... I'm sorry you had such a rotten day yesterday. I hope today goes much more smoothly! I know when anything is out of the ordinary, my DD gets all wonky and I end up getting upset at her and then, when it's too late, realize that it's the SPD acting up, and feel bad that I didn't get a clue earlier.
But you can't beat yourself up about it... try as we might to keep things on an even keel, it's darn near impossible sometimes. All we can do is try to learn from our mistakes.

The good news is, you'll doubtless get another chance to show your SPD strategy-mother-of-the-year-skills very shortly
Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by themilesmum View Post
I almost cried when my friend forwarded me this link! My name is Alli and I have a 5 year old boy who has SPD. I just posted about it on my blog
a few days ago and was AMAZED by the number of people who were able to help me out.
I have read the Out of Sync Child and I have yet to read the Sensational Child as well.
I feel very comforted by the fact that there is a support group for people who have children with SPD (by the way I actually think I also suffer from SPD). I know all too well that SPD often gets lumped into the autism spectrum but there are many differences as well. For quite a few years we actually thought Andrew (our son) was going to be diagnosed with Aspergers. We are still very early on this road, we haven't even met with the OT yet, and have still to meet with the pediatrician again. We live in a remote community so these services are hard to find. We are here with my DH work and are starting to wonder whether or not we will need to move in order to find help for our son.
I have so much to ask and share. Please feel free to read about my story on my blog. I really look forward to getting to know you all and learning/supporting you on the road of SPD.
Welcome, Alli! I don't have time today, but I promise I will check out your blog and learn your story. Mine is in the first post and you'll find the others' in the thread along the way. I'm very thankful for this chance to talk to other moms dealing with the same exact issues we are. Best of luck with your SPD journey!
Old 12-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #90
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK View Post
momof2stampers, how is your dd doing now?

Thanks for asking. She's fine. She had a few bathroom accidents, a few headaches, and was weepy for a few days. She's been fine since.

In the meantime, I have developed pnemonia, and my DD has had the same flu I had. My DH is finally healthy and somehow my DS avoided it completely Small miracles! We are slowly getting better.

Sorry for worrying you.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #91
down and digi

Hi Lisa and Alli! Welcome!

Alli, where in BC are you? I grew up in the Lower Mainland and lived with DH in Vitctoria. DH is from Terrace. We are in Calgary now. I'll go read your blog now.

Lisa, the humming and the movement could be either the deafness or the SPD. As long as you are able to help him, I doubt it really matters what is causing it. I understand what you mean about the move. My DS is only 7, but we moved across the country and it was hard on him. HUGS!!! Question: Is he allowed to stand to do his work? You mentioned him always wanting to get up. My son stands for most of the day and the teacher keeps his chair at the back of the room. He also has a wobble seat, but he rarely uses it since he stands. He also has a basket of oral and tactile fidget toys on his desk. They seem to help him focus. We also have the fabric and food issues. About a year ago I bought him a new shirt and when he put it on for the first time he sighed, got a silly grin on his face and said `That feels so nice'. I went out the next day and bought everything they had in every colour and every size. That's the only shirt he wears now and we don't have fabric issues anymore. I have some for the next 3 years still!
Old 12-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #92
down and digi

Alli, I read your blog post and it sounds exactly like my DS.

We have been really lucky and we found a truly amazing school. It is actually the reason we moved to Calgary - it's a school for gifted children. There are 1000 students K-12, and there are about 17/class and 68/grade. They have so many kids with SPD that my son doesn't even stand out. It's wonderful.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but it has been amazing for us.

You said your DS is 5. Is he in K or is going into K next year? If he's in already, how is he doing? Does he enjoy it?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #93

Quote:
We also have the fabric and food issues. About a year ago I bought him a new shirt and when he put it on for the first time he sighed, got a silly grin on his face and said `That feels so nice'. I went out the next day and bought everything they had in every colour and every size. That's the only shirt he wears now and we don't have fabric issues anymore. I have some for the next 3 years still!
Now THAT is an SPD SUPERMOM!!!! I love it!

I'm very thankful that (while my DS can't do any tags in his clothes) my kids overall don't have too bad an issue with clothes. Since we get 90% of our clothes second-hand, the above solution would be very difficult to do.

I should have known DS had issues long ago... I remember one outfit in particular when he was an infant that the screaming would start within seconds of putting it on, and not quit until it was OFF. I didn't catch on the first few times, just thought we were having an usually bad day, but the third time I said to my DH, "You know, I might be nuts here, but I think that outfit is driving him batty!" And I never made him wear it again. Now I know I was right....
Old 12-04-2007, 03:51 AM   #94
Matboard Maniac

My DS only wants to wear comfy clothes. It drives me crazy to send him to school in sweats. Although this year he has gotten a little better and will wear jeans once in a while. He will also wears cords. But her like to wear fuzzy fleece and sweatshirts.

I am happy today. My DS will start OT again. His therapist was out on medical leave for about 2 months and they counldn't get a replacement. Now she is back and he is excited to start therapy again. Do your kids love therapy? My DS thinks it is great.

Yesterday my DS had 2 small meltdowns at school. I don't know what advice to give his teacher about how to handle him. We let him be by himself at home so he can calm himself. Or I give him tight squeezes. Any good ideas?

Thanks,
Old 12-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #95
down and digi

My DS has `aged-out' from therapy. He no longer qualifies. The school won't help him because the teacher and the school psychologist don't feel it is impacting on his education. The school is really good, and lets him stand instead of sit, the teacher gives him `grounding' activities, etc. But, they do not feel it cannot be managed in the classroom, so they won't recommend him for OT through the school. The province will only give OT up to the age of 6, and my DS is 7. We have so many sensory things in our home, and we have tried to gear our lives around appropriate activities, so we are doing ok with him - that's probably why the school feels he doesn't need help. Maybe we should stop doing what we are doing at home to let him fall behind again and then the school would recommend him

My DH also has a problem with our DS wearing sweats to school, but it doesn't bother me. It helps him focus and learn more.

Has anyone tried the formed pillows for their SPD kids? My DS LOVES it!!!! I had one for myself and it's on his bed now. I bought it at IKEA and it wasn't expensive.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #96
Watercolor Wizard

Formed pillows? Like this?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60100327

Nope, haven't tried it. Lately I've been wondering if I should invest in one of those weighted comforters just because DS piles every blanket and stuffed animal he can find on top of himself when he goes to bed. It's usually all kicked off within an hour though, so an expensive blanket might be a waste of money.

He hasn't received therapy for several years either but lately I'm thinking we should probably have him re-evaluated. He's been super hyper lately and I'm reaching a breaking point. At times I wonder if he has Oppositional Defiance Disorder on top of everything because he really seems to enjoy going against the grain and making others around him miserable. We've talked about getting a pet several times, but I just don't think DS would ever leave the poor thing alone. It would just be animal cruelty.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #97
Matboard Maniac

Another bad day at school for DS. Today I even received a phone call from his teacher. Transitions are becoming a problem for him. At the end of writing every day he does not want to stop because his piece is not finished. Teacher has modeled stopping a piece of writing and finishing the next day several times. Today she gave him 2 options. The first was to put it away and finish tomorrow. The second was to leave it on his desk and he could finish after lunch during read aloud time. He chose to throw his writing on the floor. They are going to put a visual timer on his desk to see if that helps. DS had these problems in Kdg. at the end of the year. It seems like as his comfort level increases so do his meltdowns. I didn't have any good solutions to give his teacher(actually I was going to ask about getting him a visual timer but she had already done that.) She seems to handle him well. Maybe I should go in and observe for a day. Thanks for letting me vent. It's nice to have others who get it.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #98
down and digi

This is the pillow we have:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00098148

Natalie, have you tried a weighted vest for him during the day? We are fed-up with the hyper-ness and I have been told it should help.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #99
down and digi

Paula, how are his fine motor skills? Is printing a challenge? If it is, he may see the other kids finishing, and he is not able to. It may be affecting his self esteem and maybe he is upset with himself when he cannot finish and it's being misinterpretted by the teacher. Even if it is not a challenge, if he has trouble interpretting certain situations, he may be reading it wrong. I hope that makes sense. I think I would try to understand the `root' of why he is doing it, and then you may have a better chance of solving it. I think observing him is a good idea. BTW, I was a grade 2 teacher before I had my kids, so I have a little experience in the classroom with these kids as well as at home.

My DS has a lot of trouble with his fine motor, but he is improving. If he has a lot to write, the teacher will often write it for him, or he can bring it home and I will write it out. As he gets older, and they do more and more work, we may go to a voice-recognition software program on a laptop. But, I don't want to jump to that too soon and he is better in grade 2 than he was in grade 1 .
Old 12-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #100
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
This is the pillow we have:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00098148

Natalie, have you tried a weighted vest for him during the day? We are fed-up with the hyper-ness and I have been told it should help.
Interesting! Thanks for the link to the pillow.

We tried a weighted vest back when DS was 3 and he was so little, he totally hated it. Now, this is stupid...but, I guess I'm worried he'd get made fun of. It has to be a better solution than medication though, right?

He has a weighted lap pad, but he only lays it on himself at night. I tried to get him to use it tonight when he was doing his homework but he wouldn't.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #101
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie View Post
What about food allergies? Have you all found that your SPD kid has a lot of food allergies? My DD is allergic to corn, milk, all nuts, and she can't tolerate whole wheat at all. I suspect she is also allergic to citrus fruits and tomatoes. Oh and cats, just like me. My DS is allergic to milk and shellfish. Probably some other things as well, but definitely not peanuts--the boy lives on PBJ sandwiches! made the decision whether or not to take school lunch VERY easy for us.

We're also avoiding food coloring because I've heard a lot of moms say that is a trigger for poor behavior. Anyone have any experience?
you are the first person i have met that had a child allergic to corn and citrus.

my dd is as well.

she's allergic to several pollens and cotten lint also, but the corn and citrus are the biggies.

makes for fun times eatting.

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 12-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #102
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Paula, how are his fine motor skills? Is printing a challenge? If it is, he may see the other kids finishing, and he is not able to. It may be affecting his self esteem and maybe he is upset with himself when he cannot finish and it's being misinterpretted by the teacher. Even if it is not a challenge, if he has trouble interpretting certain situations, he may be reading it wrong. I hope that makes sense. I think I would try to understand the `root' of why he is doing it, and then you may have a better chance of solving it. I think observing him is a good idea. BTW, I was a grade 2 teacher before I had my kids, so I have a little experience in the classroom with these kids as well as at home.

My DS has a lot of trouble with his fine motor, but he is improving. If he has a lot to write, the teacher will often write it for him, or he can bring it home and I will write it out. As he gets older, and they do more and more work, we may go to a voice-recognition software program on a laptop. But, I don't want to jump to that too soon and he is better in grade 2 than he was in grade 1 .
Thank you for the ideas. His fine motor is a little behind. He tires when writing. He is right handed and sometimes uses his left hand to help push the pencil along. We discourage it when writing at home but it's his way of coping with the hand fatigue. We have tried a sports wrist band as the OT thought it would help bring awareness to his hand. It didn't really work. I think another problem with DS and writing is that his ideas come so fast that he can not get them down on paper fast enough. Then he gets lost in his thoughts. They have already talked to us about introducing keyboarding to him so he could use a wireless keyboard in class for writing. I may have to break down and buy the keyboard for the v-smile. But he is getting a Nitro laptop for christmas that should have games to work on keyboarding skills. He was very upset with himself yesterday. He was writing a letter to me to tell me that it was going to be a good day. So having to stop the writing was difficult because he wanted to have a good day and wanted to express that to me. I am grateful that we have a good teacher this year. She cares about how DS does and wants to make school fun for him. She said that every child is entitled to have a bad day. And she was happy to see remorse in his eyes when he throw his paper down. In her eyes DS is a good kid. I also liked that she had worked on solutions to the problem, by talking to his speech teacher, before she called. It shows me she is on top of the situation. So, I hope today is better.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #103
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlicorice View Post
We tried a weighted vest back when DS was 3 and he was so little, he totally hated it. Now, this is stupid...but, I guess I'm worried he'd get made fun of. It has to be a better solution than medication though, right?

This is my concern too, but I found one that looks like a denim vest. But, I am sure kids would still tease if he wore the same vest to school every day

I wonder if he simply wore it at home, if the `help' would carry over into school time.

His best friend has a weighted shawl and I am going to have him try it at home for a few days and see if we see a difference.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #104
down and digi

Paula, what about a tape recorder to record his thoughts. Then, he may not feel the panic to get everything down. Also, you could spend a little time in the evening with him listening to the recording and condensing his thoughts. Of course, he may also feel enough satisfaction with recording his ideas, that he may not feel the need to duplicate them all on paper and he can let some of them go.

My son has the opposite problem. He has very elaborate ideas and then he'll write a single sentence.

The keyboard is a good idea! Scholastic has a good typing program this month to help kids develop their typing skills (it's in the `click' flyer).
Old 12-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #105
Matboard Maniac

Momof2stampers- Thanks for the tip on scholastic. I'll have to check it out. Today he had a great day. The timer helped a lot. She said he was packed up and ready for group time right away.

DS wore a weighted vest last year at school. No one made fun of him but he complained it was hot. I have the supplies to make him a weighted blanket (He claims he does not sleep at night.) but haven't had the time to do it yet. I am not the best at sewing. Maybe over Christmas I will get it done.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #106
down and digi

I am soooo frustrated! I need help if anyone can give it.

My 7 yo needs help with focusing and paying attention.

These are *some* of the examples from this week:

Thursday he brings math homework home and it's 6 pages and it says it's due Dec 14 (I'll get back to this one in a bit).

Friday I have a note from his teacher asking us to brainstorm and decide on something (I won't go into what). We did it, I wrote out the answer on the slip provided, gave it to him and told him to put it in his planner in his backpack.

Monday morning I put his lunch in his backpack and realize his planner is missing. We cannot find it anywhere. He goes to school without it.

Tuesday I get a call from his math teacher telling me that he doesn't have his math homework at school, and he needs to have his duotang at math every day. I go and check his math book and it says `due Tuesday, Dec 14', but he should have written `Tuesday, Dec 4' (my son copied it incorrectly from the board). It was an honest mistake, but it has consequences. THe teacher was angry and frustrated with him for not bringing his book and then my son was really upset for the day. I pointed out to him after school that he has to pay attention when he copying from the board because one little mistake can have big consequences.

He did most of it Tuesday night, and it was finished last night (Wed). When he was finishing it, he read the instructions too quickly and he missed that he was supposed to do the math backwards (skip counting). So, he had to erase the page and start again. I should also add his fine motor skills are lacking and it's a chore to do a single page. I told him that if he had paid attention, he would have read it properly.

We finally found his planner and it went back to school yesterday.

This morning I drop him off and tell him to immediately take his math homework to his math teacher because it had been due 2 days ago. Then he gasped and said he forgot to make `his flag'. I said WHAT??? I asked him why I didn't know about this and he said `it was in my planner on Monday'. I told him that he didn't have a planner on Monday since he had misplaced it when I gave him a note to put in it. Now he's at school without homework for today.

I still don't know what he did with the slip of paper with the answer to Friday's homework that was supposed to go into the planner on Friday.

BTW, this problem permeates his entire being and not just homework. I tell him to get his boots on, and he'll manage to get them from the closet and then get distracted and not put them on. Or, he'll get one on and then walk away. This morning when we were 2 minutes from school I told them to get their touques back on and their gloves on. When I pulled up to school he couldn't find his touque and he had one glove on - how does one lose a toque in the car??? Then we had to sit in the -20 weather while we looked on the ground for his stuff while his sister sits there ready go (and traffic is piling up behind me because other people have to drop their kids off).

We have tried organizational techniques, but it seems to be absent-mindedness. Help!!!!!!! Any ideas?

I lost it last week and swore - I yelled `Get out of the f*cken car' at him after we had spent 10 minutes sitting in the driveway while put on his gloves, picked up his lunch bag and a book. How does that take 10 minutes?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #107
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to Dorinda Send a message via Yahoo to Dorinda

(((hugs))) K2!!!
I am at work now and will think onthis today, but let me tell you soe of this could be my 10 yo DS and he is not SPD but just a boy with too many other things on his mind.
I have a couple questions for you..is he a visual learner? a tactile learner or an auditory learner? what learning style works best for him?
Do any of his teachers have any suggestions at all?
He may need a lot of supervision and prompting for a while to 'train' him to slow down enough to comprehend what he needs to do. I will think more on this and try to get back to you later today.
((hugs))

Old 12-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #108
down and digi

He is more visual than anything, but he needs continual motion (so does that make him kinesthetic too?). He has to stand in class to stay focused. When he sits, he moves non-stop.

His teacher is trying incentives and punishments at school, but I don`t know if that will help with being absent-minded. She`s trying to teach the concept of responsibility to the kids, so she`s giving points to the kids depending on what they remember to do, and when they got to 10, they got something from the treasure box. Well, most kids took 4-7 days to get their `treasure`, but Andrew needed 4 weeks.

One thing she has suggested is a chew necklace to stop him from licking his hand, but I don`t know if it will since he`s not a chewer, but a licker. The licking is defintely getting in the way sometimes when he is trying to talk - he`ll lick and stutter to the point that nothing comes out from his mouth. That`s a whole other topic though.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #109
Stazon Splitcoast

there is research about boys needing movement to learn, coupled with his other issues then yes he needs the movement breaks.
Use 'fidgets' for sitting time so there is something going on for him..like theraputty or a stress/squeeze ball for times when he can't get up and move.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #110
Stazon Splitcoast

You can get some bitter herb/biter apple stuff at natural food stores or even places like petco, they are all natural and taste awful and canbe sprayed on to help elimminate the licking.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #111
Stazon Splitcoast

http://www.bitterapple.com/

yes it is intended for pets but I have known parents to have success with kids too...as long as the product is all natural and the kid ha no known allergies to the ingredients

Old 12-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #112
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Hi Lisa and Alli! Welcome!

Alli, where in BC are you? I grew up in the Lower Mainland and lived with DH in Vitctoria. DH is from Terrace. We are in Calgary now. I'll go read your blog now.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I actually couldn't find this thread again and now I have it bookmarked so I don't lose it again
We are in a remote community on Vancouver Island. I grew up in Victoria...what a great place Moving around a lot is in the cards for us but not necessarily to Calgary. DH is in the RCMP, so it is a little more selective. But we live in the sticks now so we can somewhat choose our next posting.

My Blog
My Gallery

Old 12-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #113
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Alli, I read your blog post and it sounds exactly like my DS.

We have been really lucky and we found a truly amazing school. It is actually the reason we moved to Calgary - it's a school for gifted children. There are 1000 students K-12, and there are about 17/class and 68/grade. They have so many kids with SPD that my son doesn't even stand out. It's wonderful.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but it has been amazing for us.

You said your DS is 5. Is he in K or is going into K next year? If he's in already, how is he doing? Does he enjoy it?
He is in K now and having some pretty bad days. I feel so terrible. At first everyone assumed he just had behaviour issues, then we got the diagnosis and the pediatrician is working with the school so things are improving in that sense. In January or February we start with the OT. There is a waitlist right now.

We have a "day book" where the teacher monitors "keeping hands to self", "listening" etc. She is really good at working with us and is more than willing to help where she can. As DS is in swimming and jazz dance (yikes!) we also have to explain all of these things to those teachers as well. I am always explaining SPD to people and what might happen. I just can't trust what will happen from day to day. Last week he hit the teacher (not hard but he still HIT her!) and that was because the noise level was too loud. He was told to use his voice instead of hitting. This week he uses his voice--YELLS--and that is not working either. He is so troubled by noise, it seems to be the #1 culprit. The teacher also noticed he gets unruly with certain smells. I haven't noticed that too much, but he was truly bothered by the smell of glue and certain paints...and even of some of the kids He has had a few notes home about the appropriate talk towards others because he is quick to let them know they smell.
First thing in the morning and last thing before they are released, along with gym and music seem to be the worst times for him. Generally then, he is somewhat behaved for 65% of the time.

My Blog
My Gallery

Old 12-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #114
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorinda View Post
there is research about boys needing movement to learn, coupled with his other issues then yes he needs the movement breaks.
Use 'fidgets' for sitting time so there is something going on for him..like theraputty or a stress/squeeze ball for times when he can't get up and move.
Oh those are great ideas. As a teacher myself I can definitely agree with the research. Boys do learn better with movement and standing.

My Blog
My Gallery

Old 12-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #115
Kookie Creator

My son is in the process of being diagnosed, he's been tagged as ADHD for years, and just now are they realizing that, hmmm that might not be it. He's a very bright kid, he just has issues. He's definatly one the is out there acitvely seeking sensory input. Our OT suggested just the other day that a mini trampoline would be a good thing for him especially on those days we are house bound because of the cold.
Do any of you find that a specific diet works? I have been doing some more research and some people think it's helpful to have a specific, and others think that food doesn't play any kind of role. What are your thoughts?
As for the Chiropractor thing, with our little guys being so active/physical I find it's nessecery to visit one just to keep him moving. Anyway, I'm glad I found you guys, it's nice to know that I am not alone in my struggles.
Amy
My blog
Old 12-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #116
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by themilesmum View Post
Oh those are great ideas. As a teacher myself I can definitely agree with the research. Boys do learn better with movement and standing.
With Steven (he is in a specialized JR, kindergarten program for kids that have some kind of special need or delay) the teachers got something called a move and sit cushion. It seems to help. It's an air filled cushion that the child needs to keep their balance on, so they are constantly readjusting to stay on it. It also has little bumps on the seat so there is that extra sensory stimulation on his backside. We are finding though that he also needs fidget toys. although we are finding he tends to throw them more than anything. sigh. It's a process
My blog
Old 12-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #117
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgrabia View Post
With Steven (he is in a specialized JR, kindergarten program for kids that have some kind of special need or delay) the teachers got something called a move and sit cushion. It seems to help. It's an air filled cushion that the child needs to keep their balance on, so they are constantly readjusting to stay on it. It also has little bumps on the seat so there is that extra sensory stimulation on his backside. We are finding though that he also needs fidget toys. although we are finding he tends to throw them more than anything. sigh. It's a process
My DS has one of those seats and it works some of the time. Most of the time he simply stands and that seems to help.

He also has a basket of fidget toys on his desk and luckily he doesn't throw them I need some oral chew toys for him now. I found some pencil toppers that are intended for chewing. I'm going to buy a few and see if they help him.

Dorinda, I bough the bitter apple today, and we try it. *fingers crossed*
Old 12-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #118
Kookie Creator

Quote:
I am soooo frustrated! I need help if anyone can give it.

My 7 yo needs help with focusing and paying attention.

These are *some* of the examples from this week:

Thursday he brings math homework home and it's 6 pages and it says it's due Dec 14 (I'll get back to this one in a bit).

Friday I have a note from his teacher asking us to brainstorm and decide on something (I won't go into what). We did it, I wrote out the answer on the slip provided, gave it to him and told him to put it in his planner in his backpack.

Monday morning I put his lunch in his backpack and realize his planner is missing. We cannot find it anywhere. He goes to school without it.

Tuesday I get a call from his math teacher telling me that he doesn't have his math homework at school, and he needs to have his duotang at math every day. I go and check his math book and it says `due Tuesday, Dec 14', but he should have written `Tuesday, Dec 4' (my son copied it incorrectly from the board). It was an honest mistake, but it has consequences. THe teacher was angry and frustrated with him for not bringing his book and then my son was really upset for the day. I pointed out to him after school that he has to pay attention when he copying from the board because one little mistake can have big consequences.

He did most of it Tuesday night, and it was finished last night (Wed). When he was finishing it, he read the instructions too quickly and he missed that he was supposed to do the math backwards (skip counting). So, he had to erase the page and start again. I should also add his fine motor skills are lacking and it's a chore to do a single page. I told him that if he had paid attention, he would have read it properly.

We finally found his planner and it went back to school yesterday.

This morning I drop him off and tell him to immediately take his math homework to his math teacher because it had been due 2 days ago. Then he gasped and said he forgot to make `his flag'. I said WHAT??? I asked him why I didn't know about this and he said `it was in my planner on Monday'. I told him that he didn't have a planner on Monday since he had misplaced it when I gave him a note to put in it. Now he's at school without homework for today.

I still don't know what he did with the slip of paper with the answer to Friday's homework that was supposed to go into the planner on Friday.

BTW, this problem permeates his entire being and not just homework. I tell him to get his boots on, and he'll manage to get them from the closet and then get distracted and not put them on. Or, he'll get one on and then walk away. This morning when we were 2 minutes from school I told them to get their touques back on and their gloves on. When I pulled up to school he couldn't find his touque and he had one glove on - how does one lose a toque in the car??? Then we had to sit in the -20 weather while we looked on the ground for his stuff while his sister sits there ready go (and traffic is piling up behind me because other people have to drop their kids off).

We have tried organizational techniques, but it seems to be absent-mindedness. Help!!!!!!! Any ideas?

I lost it last week and swore - I yelled `Get out of the f*cken car' at him after we had spent 10 minutes sitting in the driveway while put on his gloves, picked up his lunch bag and a book. How does that take 10 minutes?
HI there. I have been using SCS for several years now, but have never used this forum. My friend recently had a SD diagnosis for her son. I checked it out and saw this forum. I love the people on this site and encouraged her to take a peek at these amazing women. She isn't crafty like us, but she is a great stay at home mom. I hope she chimes in!

I read your post and I am a teacher so I have a few suggestions. I would have the teacher initial the planner EVERYDAY! This may seem like a lot of work, but she will catch the date mix-ups. To show her that you want to work just as hard, tell her you will initial the planner as well, after he finishes his HW. I would also get him a homework folder. Before bed, all work completed should go into the folder and checked-off in the planner. After he turns it in and gets it bake, it should go into his binder. This "process" should be like a chore/chore chart and there should be a reward for being successful.
I hope that helps.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 AM   #119

Wow, some great solutions from creative SPD moms here!!!

I just had a revelation while catching up on the posts... my son has been completely scatterbrained lately, to the point that my DH and I have just had it up to here with him. He also has a big raw spot on one side of his mouth from licking it! I can't believe I didn't catch that that could be an SPD thing.

Please, my friends, pray for me today. I just hit me like a ton of bricks right now. I am sitting here bawling. I kind of knew he had a lot of symptoms of SPD but it hadn't really sunk in. I can hardly deal with ONE SPD kid, let alone two. That they are so different, one sensory-seeking, one sensory-avoiding, makes it so hard to deal with them.

I have to get off now and get ready to go to Kindermusik with my SPD DD. But please remember me in prayer today. I pray for all of you as well.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:55 AM   #120
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie View Post
Wow, some great solutions from creative SPD moms here!!!

I just had a revelation while catching up on the posts... my son has been completely scatterbrained lately, to the point that my DH and I have just had it up to here with him. He also has a big raw spot on one side of his mouth from licking it! I can't believe I didn't catch that that could be an SPD thing.

Please, my friends, pray for me today. I just hit me like a ton of bricks right now. I am sitting here bawling. I kind of knew he had a lot of symptoms of SPD but it hadn't really sunk in. I can hardly deal with ONE SPD kid, let alone two. That they are so different, one sensory-seeking, one sensory-avoiding, makes it so hard to deal with them.

I have to get off now and get ready to go to Kindermusik with my SPD DD. But please remember me in prayer today. I pray for all of you as well.
Aw, Elisabeth! I'm thinking of you now. It can be very overwhelming, can't it? It really helps me to finally talk to some other parents of kids with SPD. Whenever I tried to explain why my son was doing the things he did people looked at me like they didn't believe me.

We're here for you.