Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #41
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlicorice View Post
Exactly, Elisabeth! I have to remember this. I'm just not normally a touchy feely person so it drives me nuts to have him hanging on me all day. I try to make sure to give him big strong hugs, compressing his shoulder joints.

We also play the "burrito game" where we wrap him up in a blanket on the floor. We name all the ingredients we're putting on the burrito when we press and squish him, "Here's the cheese...(squish) and the beans (squish, squish)....He loves it. I think that may come from the Out of Sync Child Has Fun book.

Does anyone use the brushing technique? DS's OT gave us a few brushes a few years back but we're not consistent with it. When DS comes across one of the brushes occasionally he'll ask to be brushed.
I haven't heard of it before. Is it running brushes over their skin?

Thanks for the reminder about the Burrito! I forgot that one and he loves the pressure.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #42
Watercolor Wizard

I found this link that describes the process, although we do it a little differently.

http://www.thetherapyplace.net/newsletter/3_2.htm

I was trying to find a picture of the surgical brushes. One of our just fell apart, so I'd like to pick up a couple more.

The OT also gave us a weighted lap blanket that we sometimes put on DS at bedtime. I wish he'd use it during the day to help him calm down and focus better. He wouldn't use it at all years ago when she gave it to us, but he discovered he liked it in the past few months.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #43
Watercolor Wizard

Found one:

http://www.pacificpediatricsupply.co...ory-Brush.html
Old 11-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #44
Watercolor Wizard

I just thought of another "sensory moment". I live in AZ, and years ago I was walking with my son to the mailbox at the end of our street. He took off running and as I was trying to catch him, he ran into the neighbors' yard and basically sat on their big old cactus. I think he was probably 2 at the time. It struck me as odd because I think another child, even at that age, would have steered clear of something with giant needles sticking out of it, you know? I think it was a prickly pear, which looks like this:

http://www.desertusa.com/magoct97/oc...u_prkpear.html

Scroll down to see the better picture.

He had on a pair of shorts, and luckily a big thick diaper, because I had to rush him home and pull a bunch of needles out of his legs and crotch.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #45
down and digi

Quote:
I found this link that describes the process, although we do it a little differently.

http://www.thetherapyplace.net/newsletter/3_2.htm

I was trying to find a picture of the surgical brushes. One of our just fell apart, so I'd like to pick up a couple more.

The OT also gave us a weighted lap blanket that we sometimes put on DS at bedtime. I wish he'd use it during the day to help him calm down and focus better. He wouldn't use it at all years ago when she gave it to us, but he discovered he liked it in the past few months.

Thanks for the info on brushing!

Have you tried a weighted vest? A blanket can really only be use sitting down, and that may be why he didn't like it, but a vest is worn and doesn't fall off.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #46
down and digi

Natalie, I laughed when I read what you wrote about the cactus.

We had DS in the ER last week and he sighed (like an org@sm ) when they took his blood pressure. Most people find it painful, but DS was in absolute heaven!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #47
Watercolor Wizard

I think the OT had a weighted vest for DS to try but he hated it. Of course, he was just tiny back then, so I'm sure it didn't feel good at all. I should look into it though because lately when he comes home from school he's bouncing off the walls.

That's hysterical about the blood pressure cuff!
Old 11-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #48
down and digi

I am so frustrated!

My DS is an amazing swimmer! I am sure the rest of you understand the issues that these kids can have with gross motor skills. My DS has more than his share, but his swimming is amazing, and we have always felt strongly that we should support it so that he will have something that he is really good at!

Well, he is having difficulty learning to coordinate how to breathe to the side when he's doing the front crawl, and his instructors have been passing him through anyway(he has great coping mechanisms ). He is now at point in swim lessons that he has to be able to swim 4 lengths non-stop. Well, he's exhausted because he's not breathing properly. He also has too many skills to go back down in the lessons, and the instructors don't know how to help him anyway.

I am going to bring him to the pool this week when the swim instructor coordinator is there and ask her to do an assessment on his swimming and what she recommends. We have decided to simply pull him out of swim lessons, but I want him to have that one thing that he is great at. That's inportant for his self esteem.

I think we are going to have to pay for private lessons, but even then, I don't know if a swim instructor will be able to do it, or if it will have to be an OT/PT. I guess we'll try a few private lessons and then decide.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #49
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2stampers View Post
I am so frustrated!

My DS is an amazing swimmer! I am sure the rest of you understand the issues that these kids can have with gross motor skills. My DS has more than his share, but his swimming is amazing, and we have always felt strongly that we should support it so that he will have something that he is really good at!

Well, he is having difficulty learning to coordinate how to breathe to the side when he's doing the front crawl, and his instructors have been passing him through anyway(he has great coping mechanisms ). He is now at point in swim lessons that he has to be able to swim 4 lengths non-stop. Well, he's exhausted because he's not breathing properly. He also has too many skills to go back down in the lessons, and the instructors don't know how to help him anyway.

I am going to bring him to the pool this week when the swim instructor coordinator is there and ask her to do an assessment on his swimming and what she recommends. We have decided to simply pull him out of swim lessons, but I want him to have that one thing that he is great at. That's inportant for his self esteem.

I think we are going to have to pay for private lessons, but even then, I don't know if a swim instructor will be able to do it, or if it will have to be an OT/PT. I guess we'll try a few private lessons and then decide.
That's so awesome that he's a great swimmer! We tried swim lessons again this summer and DS did okay, but not great. He's too afraid still. Meanwhile, my 3 year old was jumping off the diving board and swimming back and forth across the pool.

I agree, you're probably going to have to do private lessons, and hopefully won't have to use an OT/PT. We had a woman who taught the swim team at the YMCA meet us a friend's pool to give our kids lessons. She got frustrated with DS though because he generally lacks coordination and didn't seem to trust her enough to let go. By the time he was finally "getting it", it was time for her to return to college. I'm worried that he'll forget everything he's learned by the time we start up lessons again.

I also know what you mean about trying to find something he's really good at. DS doesn't seem to be very athletic, and it's killing my husband, the world's biggest sports fan. Plus, DS's younger brother just seems to have athletic ability. He kicks well, throws well, catches well, all things my other son isn't so hot at. I see a lot of jealously and rivalry in our near future.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #50
down and digi

Natalie, my DH is also very athletic - he plays soccer, hockey and golf 2-3x per week, year round. He desperately wants our kids to play soccer because his family loved it growing up and all of them still play as adults. They have run a marathon, my BIL did an ironman triathalon last year and DH is now considering doing an ironman.

So, the family (not me ) is very athletic. I think it would be great for him to have something he can be really proud of as he grows up.

We had a very cool vest for DS to learn to swim with. I'll try to find it online for you to look at.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #51
down and digi

Here you go Natalie: http://www.swimways.com/teachmetoswi...7-4A468557F39D}

It has 9 foam pads - 4 in the front, 5 in the back (or the other way around). The kids wear it every time they swim, and they get confident and enjoy swimming with the level of bouancy, remove 1 pad. The pads are across the whole chest, and not just down one side like others I have seen. THe difference in the floatation when 1 pad is removed is so slight, that they don't notice. Then, have him swim with that level of bouancy until he has total confidence, and then remove another, etc.

DS turned 3 about 2 weeks after we started using it, and we swam multiple times a day, every day for 3 months (it was summer and we had a pool in the backyard). Because we swam that much, we were able to remove a foam pad each week, and by the end of the summer he had gone from clinging to us and afraid of the water to being completely independent.

We tried a lot of swim aids, and we've seen a lot with our friends and their kids. I have never seen one as good as this for giving the kids confidence, and getting them independent.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #52
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

What a great idea about removing the pads one at a time! I was wondering how to start weaning my two off their floaty suits. They swim like fish. We haven't had any formal lessons, just lots and lots of hotel pools.

I just heard about weighted vests... We tried the heavy blanket and we tried making our own beanbags, but she won't keep them on even if she's laying there watching TV (the ONLY time she holds even remotely still).

DD did extremely well at her brother's party last night. I was so proud of her. When things with the 6 six year old boys got to be too much, she just went in her room and played with her Barbies. I could hear her singing above the din
Old 11-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #53
Stampin' Fool

My daughter is 2 and has SPD. It is a challenge here some days especially because I also have a 3 year old and a 10 month old. I haven't gotten to really read the thread but wanted to say hi and how excited I am to chat with other Spd mothers!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #54
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK View Post
My daughter is 2 and has SPD. It is a challenge here some days especially because I also have a 3 year old and a 10 month old. I haven't gotten to really read the thread but wanted to say hi and how excited I am to chat with other Spd mothers!
Wow, Casey, you REALLY have your hands full! How do you do it?!

We're glad your found this thread. I love chatting with people who actually understand some of the challenges we face and I think it really helps me to realize I'm not alone.

Welcome!
Old 11-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #55
Stampin' Fool

Really life isn't that crazy. The only time it gets hard is when dd who has spd has a bad sensory day. Luckily for the most part my other dd's are pretty laid back and my oldest for the most part understand that there is something "different" about her sister.

Right now the thing I am concerned about is Madison's pain tolerance level. Nothing seems to hurt her and I will find bruises and what not and have no idea how she got them. I am just worried one day she will hit her head hard enough or something else to cause a problem and I wont know and over look it
Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #56

Welcome, Casey!
I have the same problem with my DD--bruises all over her legs, hips, knees, etc. Although I know how she gets them--she crashes into stuff both on purpose and accidentally! But the crashing seems to have gotten better since we tried chiropratic.

Her shins are the worst. It's because when she's sitting at her little table and chairs, watching TV, she often extends her legs straight out in excitement and you can hear them banging on the underside of the table. It would be agony to anyone "normal", but she doesn't even know she is doing it.

Her legs look terrible-- I'm not sorry that tights, long pants and knee socks season is back!

Their pain threshold can be amazing, can't it? And the delay in sensing the pain can cause problems. My DD has been burned more than once because she didn't A. sense that it was hot before touching, and B. pull away instantly in reaction to the pain. It is a little frightening. You have to watch so carefully with these kids, the sensory seekers more so than the sensory avoiders. You can never let down your guard. It does get wearing.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #57

Hello, ladies! How are things going today? We're having a great day. We just got back from the health food store where we picked up some fish oil supplements. They are supposed to feed the brain. Has anyone got any experience with supplements? I hope these don't taste too wretched... although I've noticed that my sensory-seeker DD doesn't always seem to notice strong-tasting things like my sensory-avoider DS does. Let's hope!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:13 PM   #58
down and digi

We tried fish oil supplements. We even tried the orange flavored ones. It was a no-go in my house.

Good luck! Hopefully it will be better than here.

I am wretchedly busy right now as I am setting up a new business, so SCS is becoming a luxury for me now. I will drop in when I can.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #59
Watercolor Wizard

I'm just back from IKEA where I got this:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10081656

Mine was 24.99, not 39.99.

DS isn't home from school yet to test drive it and my other son fell asleep on the car ride home, so he's too moody to play with it.

Some friends of ours have a wonderful vaulted ceiling in their playroom on their second floor and they've installed a few of the swings. How fun would that be?
Old 11-14-2007, 01:03 PM   #60
Watercolor Wizard

Years ago I tried "Reliv". The salesperson went on and on about how they feed the brain. Unfortunately, DS totally hated the shakes and I couldn't hide it in chocolate milk or anything. He'd completely freak out and spit it everywhere.
Good thing "Reliv" offers a refund on their products!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #61

Hm, never heard of Reliv. We did get the orange flavored ones. I know they are supposed to not cause burping, but I remember when I tried them years ago when they first came out and I worked at a health food store, I definitely burped fishy. Yuck. So even if she can stand taking it, I might not be able to stand the burping... who wants their little sweetie to smell like fish???
Old 11-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #62
Watercolor Wizard

Reliv is a company that sells health products like vitamins and nutrition shakes. It's also a type of multi-level marketing thing where they try to get you to sell it yourself and it's super expensive. I believe the shakes have omega 3 fatty acids in them. DS just hated the taste.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #63
Forum Fanatic

Hello....thread crashing here....

um we do Nordic Naturals fish oil - lemon flavored - not the childrens one...and I mix it in apple sauce or on top of peaches....ds likes it...as long as it's cold and eaten quickly it's good....it's not something I send in his lunch box ever. LOL. We also mix in some probiotics and L glutamine.

his allergist said that naturopath stuff was illogical but then said..."his skin looks great"..... so...???? go figure. I also spoke with a rep from Nordic Nat. and she said that there were no nuts in the facility.

cheers
Old 11-15-2007, 08:12 AM   #64
down and digi

Quote:
I'm just back from IKEA where I got this:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/10081656

Mine was 24.99, not 39.99.

DS isn't home from school yet to test drive it and my other son fell asleep on the car ride home, so he's too moody to play with it.

Some friends of ours have a wonderful vaulted ceiling in their playroom on their second floor and they've installed a few of the swings. How fun would that be?

Glad to see you got it! I hope he likes it.

The reason my link has $39.99 is because that's the price in Canada. $24.99 is the price in the US.

And people wonder why we get upset with our prices.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
Hello....thread crashing here....

um we do Nordic Naturals fish oil - lemon flavored - not the childrens one...and I mix it in apple sauce or on top of peaches....ds likes it...as long as it's cold and eaten quickly it's good....it's not something I send in his lunch box ever. LOL. We also mix in some probiotics and L glutamine.

his allergist said that naturopath stuff was illogical but then said..."his skin looks great"..... so...???? go figure. I also spoke with a rep from Nordic Nat. and she said that there were no nuts in the facility.

cheers
Thank you for the info! We tried the Coromega today and she ate it, although not too happy. We just did it straight. Tomorrow I'll try it mixed in something.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #66
Watercolor Wizard

Yikes! $39.99 is too much for it. He's played with it a ton already, but I'm sure we're going to have some injuries from it. I think the point is to sit down on it but my kids keep standing up and falling off. I can't imagine using it on anything but carpet, and I'm still afraid when they fall they're going to hit their faces on the hard plastic.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #67

Therapist reccommended a Sit N Spin for increasing balance and body awareness, which I bought and my kids played with for like a total of four minutes. Anyone have suggestions on how to get them to do it longer?

Side note--my DD is in rare form today. Apparently yesterday was the calm before the storm.... one "funny" thing, though--she flushed the potty not once but TWICE while my poor husband was taking his shower this morning. LOL
Old 11-16-2007, 06:09 AM   #68

Ok, just clicked on the Ikea link and saw that yours is the same sort of thingy. How does it work? How do they spin themselves without that thing to hold onto in the middle?
Old 11-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #69
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie View Post
Ok, just clicked on the Ikea link and saw that yours is the same sort of thingy. How does it work? How do they spin themselves without that thing to hold onto in the middle?
That's what I was trying to figure out and there were no directions. When I tried it I sat down and pushed myself around on the floor. I actually got going fast enough to make myself dizzy.

We noticed years ago that DS never seemed to get dizzy. We had a swivel chair and he'd beg us to spin him and his little brother. We'd do it and my younger son would fall over like crazy afterwards, but my older son would jump off and run away!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:07 AM   #70
Glitter Guru

The Ikea bag swing is what my kids like for spinning. My husband hung it in our basement and they take turns sitting in it while the other spins them, or sometimes grab it with their whole body and twist it up then cling to the outside while it spins out.

We're in a rental now, but we can't wait to install them in our new house
Old 11-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #71

Quote:
We noticed years ago that DS never seemed to get dizzy. We had a swivel chair and he'd beg us to spin him and his little brother. We'd do it and my younger son would fall over like crazy afterwards, but my older son would jump off and run away!
Yep, my DD does it too. She never knew you were "supposed" to feel dizzy after spinning until she saw my reaction to it. Weird. Now she fakes being dizzy because she thinks it's the thing to do and we all look goofy and silly doing it.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #72
down and digi

Quote:
Side note--my DD is in rare form today. Apparently yesterday was the calm before the storm.... one "funny" thing, though--she flushed the potty not once but TWICE while my poor husband was taking his shower this morning. LOL

And you are smiling! You are a sadist!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:21 AM   #73

Yeah, I actually laughed about that one through the day. His yelp was so funny I also locked the bathroom door when I took my own shower! hee hee
Old 11-19-2007, 05:24 AM   #74

Church was a disaster yesterday. Usually DD is content to look at books, scribble, play with my bracelet, etc... not yesterday! That child would not sit "still" (and my definition of still is extremely loose, LOL) for love or money.

Anyone have any tips on keeping her quietly entertained for an hour? We already sit in the back pew so we won't distract anyone else. I swear anyone who thinks we're making this condition up or making a mountain out of a molehill, should be forced to sit next to an SPD kid during church.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #75
down and digi

Quote:
Church was a disaster yesterday. Usually DD is content to look at books, scribble, play with my bracelet, etc... not yesterday! That child would not sit "still" (and my definition of still is extremely loose, LOL) for love or money.

Anyone have any tips on keeping her quietly entertained for an hour? We already sit in the back pew so we won't distract anyone else. I swear anyone who thinks we're making this condition up or making a mountain out of a molehill, should be forced to sit next to an SPD kid during church.
What about wearing a weighted vest during church?

I find when I put pressure on DS's shoulders it tends to slow his activity level somewhat - less likely to bounce and `vibrate' I also find really tight hugs help.

Another idea is to give her opportunities leading up to church to burn energy. This wouldn't help with my SPD child as it would simply get him more wound up.

I am sure you have already thought of all the other typical things like crayons, etc.

Sorry, that's the best I can do
Old 11-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #76
down and digi

Guess what?

My non-SPD child (6 yo DD) fell on her head yesterday and suffered a moderate concussion. Today she had few toileting accidents (first in over 3 years). I am hoping she hasn't regressed because that would be an indication of some level of brain damage. We are hoping it's simply her being `out of sorts', but she was normal today in every other way.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #77

Oh, how frightening! You must be worried sick. I hope she is ok!!!! Did you tell the doctors she had accidents today? They should know. Hopefully there maybe just a little swelling pushing on some area that will go away when it goes down.
I'll be praying for you--be sure to keep us updated.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #78

So how was everyone's weekend? How did the SPD kids do with the change in schedule, the crowded shopping malls, the unusual foods, the little-known relatives?

We had a very quiet Thanksgiving. We stayed home because my husband had a cold, and now it's worked it's way through the family to me. Great fun. We did decorate the indoors for Christmas at the insistence of my six year old.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:15 AM   #79
Matboard Maniac

We had a quieter Thanksgiving this year too. I like being home just with my kids and hubby. The true test of how my DS did will be when he gets home from school today.

On another note will just got my son's full report from his neuropsy. eval and one of the suggestions was to see a pediatric neurologist because he has hand tremors. I am sure it is not a neurological problem but was wondering if any of your kids experience this.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #80
Stampin' Fool

Send a message via Yahoo to Alcojo94

Just found this thread.

My oldest son(soon to be 14) has SID. His main issues are with fabrics and food. He absolutely will not wear any type of jean fabric. If someone even tries to get him into a pair of jeans he will have a meltdown. Same goes for most foods. Spaghetti will really set him off. He eats the same foods all the time, and has actually taken the same lunch to school with him for over 4 yrs, with a few variations here and there. He's within the height and weight guidelines for his age though so the pediatrician says not to worry.

At school he uses a special cushion to sit on, as he fidgets quite a bit. He constantly wants to sharpen his pencil, go the bathroom, or anything else he can use as an excuse to get up. Routines are also a must for him. We know he'll be going into a tailspin come Feb, as his dad is retiring from the Navy and we are picking up and moving to Alaska. This is not sitting well with him at all, even though we've been preparing him and our other 2 kids for 2 yrs now. He has been at the same private school with the same kids and teachers since 2002 so he is very comfortable and knows whats expected of him there.

My son is also deaf, so a lot of the times we dont know if some of his actions are due to SID, or deafness related.For example, DS constantly hums, and we've been told its a comfort thing for him, a way to hear himself. Its almost what I would consider a tic though. His constant movement could also be due to the deafness, as he is trying to keep up with his enviroment and whats going on around him.

We do think DS has a lot of characteristics of Aspergers Syndrome, but have never gotten a diagnosis that confirmed it.