Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #481
down and digi

Catherine, this organization looks like they could help you and/or advise you for how to proceed.

http://www.earlyintervention.net/earlyintervention.cfm
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #482
Polyshrink Goddess

I have done a lot of research on SPD/SID and haven't found many support groups in Canada (in particular BC). I know they are out there but my searches haven't found them.

My Blog
My Gallery

Old 07-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #483
Polyshrink Goddess

I also wanted to add to the comment about depression. It amazes me how depressed my little guy has been since he has been off the fish oils. He told me once that he didn't want to be here anymore. Talk about break your heart...that was when he was 5. Seriously how can a 5 year old talk like that? I didn't even think kids could talk like that at such an early age. We are now seeking the help of a play therapist to help him with depression, social skills and general well being.

My Blog
My Gallery

Old 07-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #484
SCS RAK Coordinator

Send a message via MSN to g33kgr1

Well, yesterday was the 21st day (3 weeks seems to be the magic number for results) of fish oil for us. My DD has mild SPD and apraxia. Her meltdowns are worse, but less frequent. General behavior better. She is doing more playing on her own. I'm not saying miracles are happening, but I think her speech is improving. She has more constant chatter and seems to be attempting more words more frequently.

Overall: we are excited. Glad we experimented. Will continue!
Old 07-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #485
Hardware Hotshot

Smile

Hey folks, I am new to this thread. A friend found it and sent me here... I have an almost 7 year old daughter who has severe sensory processing and integration disorder. I have read tons and tons on SPD, and I am open to helping anyone who wants any information! I didn't read the whole thread - there is a lot to read! But, I can tell you fish oil, any type of the good fats in our diet are doubly important in kids with SPD. Lots of kids avoid meat and other things that they need to get the fatty acids, but they do need it.

Catherine, how old is your son that has SPD? Alberta does have a very good system in place for kids before grade 1. BC has the best that I have come across for school-aged kids.

Anyway, I like support, too, on days when I think I will just hurl myself off the rooftop. So, if you are okay with it, I would like to join this thread!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #486
Compulsive Stamper

Default Welcome and hi

My son is 4 years old, and we live in Nova Scotia...where I can honestly say that I don't think too many if any dr's here have heard of it. It seems that only OT's and PT's have heard of it...
As far as I can figure out in order to get help, you have to turn blue in the face, jump up and down with a mega phone screaming from the roof top or mountain tops. Even then you just might not get heard, or get heard and told that you are making something big out of this, to read books to go home and have fun. I can't believe the difficulty we are having to get our son Ethan help...we do have a Early Interventionist, but it seems that I have to do all the suggesting of things to do or books I would like. I have to basically ask questions, then she responds...not too familiar with what a Early Interventionist is really supposed to do but to me this isn't what I thought they were supposed to do.
Welcome to the group and you will meet lots of great people here in this forum !

Hugs,
catherine
Old 07-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #487
down and digi

I thought this site might interest people.

http://www.spdfoundation.net/aboutspd.html

I think that I will go to the next parenting workshop that they host, if I can get a decent airfare.

If others are also interested, the registration fee is for 2 people (supposed to be husband and wife, etc), but we might be able to split registration costs between us. Plus, we have a gathering and actually have a weekend with other mothers who have similar family experiences to us!

They just had one last week, so I don't know when another will happen.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #488
down and digi

I found an amazing book yesterday and I had never heard of it before. It's called The Senosry Processing Disorder Answer Book: Practical Answers to the Top 250 Questions Parents Ask. The author is Tara Delaney

The types of questions that are answered are

signs/symptoms
treatment options
what to do if your child likes to bite his arm?
how do I make sure the teacher understands and follows through?
why does my child break his pencils at school?
When my child gets overwhelmed, he hits people. How can I help him?
What is a stemming behaviour and what I should I do if I see one?

Anyway, GREAT BOOK! Totally worth buying!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #489
Matboard Maniac

On the topic of books...

Has anyone ever read this book:

Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies
The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
Written by Kenneth Bock and Cameron Stauth
?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #490
down and digi

Thanks Kimberly!

Considering that my DS has asthma, allergies, ADHD and SPD (but not autism), I guess I should check it out!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:21 PM   #491
Matboard Maniac

No problem...my ds1 has three of the four: Autism (AS/PDD-NOS), Asthma (minor like mine), and Allergies (life threatening peanut allergy as well as other minor allergies). I've heard really good things about this book so far and was wondering if any one here has read it.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #492
down and digi

My DS has rare asthma, but when it hits, it is acute. I don't know if I would classify that as mild since it's rare, or worse because of the severity when it hits. I think SPD is a big part of the reason why his reactions get to the acute stage - doesn't feel the attacks in the beginning stages like most kids.

His allergies are also life threatening - shellfish and an unknown that we may never get an answer on, but he is anaphylactic to it He's also allergic to a host of other inhalent-type allergies.

For PDD, we have been offered the diagnosis, but we don't feel it's correct - she over-diagnoses it. However, if we need the funding for schooling reasons, we know where to go DS's best friend just got an Aspherger's diagnosis from her and now he will get a half-time aide at school. The school is going to split the aide between his friend, and my DS. We're both pretty happy about that.

His ADHD is the inattentive type and not hyperactivity. He is hyper, but that's the SPD and not the ADHD

I would also love to hear if anyone else has read the book!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:34 AM   #493
down and digi

Is anyone worried about going back to school?

We start today. I met the teacher last week and she seems to be very pro-active. It turns out that all the coded kids are split between 2 classrooms and there is an aide assigned to the 2 classes. DS will get the help he needs this year for scribing. The teacher will also be teaching the class with more movement, more sensory awareness and less worksheets and repetitive practice. I also met the new resource teacher and she wants to meet with me this week to set up the IPP. She is confused about why DS is not currently in OT. I told her that his teacher last year felt it wasn't warranted. She was shocked and told me the application would be submitted on the first day (today). So, we are cautiously optimistic.

How's everyone else's new school year going?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:47 AM   #494
Compulsive Stamper

Default Son is on restriced diet and am in need of recipes

Recently we took our 4 year old son Ethan to a Naturalpathic dr (who is a friend of mine), and she put him on a restricted diet of (no eggs, no milk, no dairy, to wheat, no sugar, no juice, no corn). The difference in him is amazing, but am in need of some good recipes, and am wondering if any of you had some good websites to get some recipes??

Hugs,
catherine
Old 09-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #495
down and digi

Catherine, now that you have eliminated it all, have you tried reintorcing one at a time. You may find that some of them do not cause a reaction at all.

We did a similar diet in May, but also eliminated food colouring, all chemicals, sugar, chocolate, process meats. We noticed a HUGE difference in DS. After 3 weeks we started reintoducing one at a time, and we've learned it was all caused my food colouring. He's back on everything else.

Since we stopped the food colouring, his development has sky-rocketed, his ability to handle certain textures and flavours when eating has gotten better, he's more tolerant to his sensitivities and his all-over muscle tone is better.

As for recipes, I found a stevia cook book that had a lot recipes that I could work with. If you look at alternative cook books, they usually have a lot of recipes that do not have any of those things. You can also try a celiac cookbook and food allergy cook books.

You can also research substitutions for a lot of the foods. For example, you use Kamut in place of wheat flour. You can use soy instead of dairy, and SILK has a `Silk for Coffee' that is great for cooking. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #496
Compulsive Stamper

Default hi

My 4 year old son has now been on a restricted diet for weeks now, and this diet is amazing for him. Anyways, he is still repeating sentences or phrases or words over and over and over again almost like a stuck record. However, you could give him a response but he will just act like he didn't hear you and continue on the repetition. I am wondering if I should just let him go on repeating it over and over again until he himself finishes or do I stop him?? I know I am going to get a mixed bag of response but I would love your thoughts on this. Also, when and if your child has a "meltdown" what do you do to help them through it ???

Hugs,
catherine
Old 09-16-2008, 05:21 AM   #497
down and digi

Catherine, from the sounds of it, your DS has a stutter. My DS has the same kind of stutter - not beginning sounds, but rather words or whole phrases.

Get him evaluated for Speech Therapy. ST for a stutter is done in a group setting to teach the kids and parents how to do the breathing techniques. Then you do most of it at home.

I didn't know this, but stuttering is caused my a motor skill deficit. It's a lack of co-ordination between the pharynx and the breathing.

Do not correct him. Do not fill in the blanks for him. But, you can tell him to take a deep breath. Kids will often stutter more when they are excited or sad. Taking a deep breath (or a few) will calm him down and it will help get his breathing back on track. You can also subtly rub his back if you think that will calm him down.

Kids at 4 are not usually aware they have a stutter, so don't draw attention to it. We were told that kids become aware of their stutter between 6-9.

Glad to hear that the restricted diet has worked! It worked amazingly for our DS.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #498
Rubber Obsessor

Hello. I have not been here for a while.... My DD had my GDD evaluated through her school district and I think I vented here after that had happended. The result was, yes there appears to be a problem but, she really doesn't fall in to any of our categories so, there is nothing we can do. My DD came away feeling like they all felt if she was just a little better parent, if she was just a little "stricter" and didn't let her DD walk all over her - all would be fine. hokay.....

She had a horrible summer thinking she was a horrible parent.
We fought all summer over should my GDD go to K4 or not. I felt she should.

Well, anyway - with a new pediatrician said GDD is seeing an occupational therapist and while she had several symptoms of SPD - she did not have all of them. Still the therapist appears to be helping. ALso, through her new pediatrician my DD got my GDD in to to be tested at the leading Austim center in the area.

She had her first round of tests Wednesday and already they have said NO, she is NOT autistic. A relief! She does however have Language Processing Disorder. She sees the speech pathologist next week for full testing & diagnosis.

My DD feels like a new person already just knowing where to start!!!!! The fact that she has not been diagnosed before age 4 is also good news as it is doubtful that it is severe. Her father has a similar problem and it is probably where it came from and he copes pretty well.

So, I have looked up LPD (not audio processing, language processing) and it has my GDD name all over it. The new k4 teacher at her school has early development disorders experience and is aware of GDD problems and GDD says she "loves school"!!!

Things are looking up

Thanks (again) for listening. I am just so relieved that there is a starting point and I read that often, speech therapy works a lot!

Debby
Old 09-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #499
Polyshrink Goddess

It's been a while since I posted but wanted to say that DS's transition to grade 1 was NOTHING like I imagined it would be. He is still having issues in the social department--well he tries to be social but misses all the cues but in other areas is flourishing. For those of you with children who are in school but have difficulty with auditory (too loud, distractions etc) the FM systems are a life saver. My son is in a classroom with a child who has difficulty hearing and amazingly the FM system is also helping to keep him on track because it blocks a lot of the other noises around him. Just thought I would share that tidbit.

My Blog
My Gallery

Old 09-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #500
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for sharing... that might work will with my DD.

Neeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by themilesmum View Post
It's been a while since I posted but wanted to say that DS's transition to grade 1 was NOTHING like I imagined it would be. He is still having issues in the social department--well he tries to be social but misses all the cues but in other areas is flourishing. For those of you with children who are in school but have difficulty with auditory (too loud, distractions etc) the FM systems are a life saver. My son is in a classroom with a child who has difficulty hearing and amazingly the FM system is also helping to keep him on track because it blocks a lot of the other noises around him. Just thought I would share that tidbit.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 PM   #501
Matboard Maniac

Hello,
Since this thread is so long, I couldn't get through all of it but read a bunch of the older posts and some of the most recent ones.

About a year ago, I discovered SPD and I think I'm mildly so. I have always been considered picky, squeamish, impatient, etc. I have lots of food allergies and food aversions. I'm sensitive to textures, light, colours and music. I'm also nocturnal.

As an adult, it's rather awkward because it's a subtle thing. Luckily, my friends accept me how I am, they don't judge me instead, they try to be accomodating and I always thank them. But it's not a clearly defined thing, and even they (and me for that matter!) can't anticipate lots of potential problems, especially things like odors.

Since I didn't read through the entire thread, I don't know if any other SPD adults are here. I did see mention of the spectrum theory, which I definitely agree with, as I do for many conditions. Autism is that way and so many other things, maybe everything!

I thought, perhaps as an adult, I would be helpful in voicing what kids sometimes can't do. Also, I don't know anyone offline who seems to have it enough that it concerns them. It would be great to have picky pals!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 AM   #502
Sawyer's Texas LOSTie

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is fun View Post
Hello,
Since this thread is so long, I couldn't get through all of it but read a bunch of the older posts and some of the most recent ones.

Since I didn't read through the entire thread, I don't know if any other SPD adults are here. I did see mention of the spectrum theory, which I definitely agree with, as I do for many conditions. Autism is that way and so many other things, maybe everything!

I thought, perhaps as an adult, I would be helpful in voicing what kids sometimes can't do. Also, I don't know anyone offline who seems to have it enough that it concerns them. It would be great to have picky pals!
Hi! I'm an SPD adult! After much reading and research I've come to the conclusion that I've always had mild SPD, but since a head injury about 22 months ago I'm VERY SPD. I have trouble with flashing and bright lights, loud noises, odors, light touch, strong wind, and a wide variety of other things. I know what you mean about friends. So many people just don't "get it," but the ones that do are such a blessing!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #503
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolt View Post
Hi! I'm an SPD adult! After much reading and research I've come to the conclusion that I've always had mild SPD, but since a head injury about 22 months ago I'm VERY SPD. I have trouble with flashing and bright lights, loud noises, odors, light touch, strong wind, and a wide variety of other things. I know what you mean about friends. So many people just don't "get it," but the ones that do are such a blessing!
You are my first direct contact with another SPD! I have never heard of SPD worsening as a result of an injury.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #504
Vee
Hardware Hotshot

Default Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari stamper View Post
Our lovely DD last night informed us that she wants to be a boy. She even wants to change her name. <Gulp> I'm trying to remain calm, as she's been a Spiderman freak for almost 2 years now. She'll be 5 this August. She loves anything boy - boy clothes, colors, gear, hats, etc. Although as she is getting older, she has at least attempted to put on a dress a few times. Daddy thinks it is all a phase...I'm hoping so too, but I don't want to dismiss her true feelings either. Yet another issue to bring up with the pediatrician when we get back home in 15 days, but who's counting....ME! ;0)
I am praying for you and your DD. From everything I have read and heard about kids who continue to insiste on being the opposite sex, (I know your DD may just be having a phase now) It is serious to them and should be taken seriously. Research shows that gender is not only physical as previously thought. It IS possible to be in the wrong gendered body to match your mental states. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:17 AM   #505
Matboard Maniac

Would anyone like to resurrect this thread? If so, I'll share my story . . .
Old 06-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #506
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by abareis View Post
Would anyone like to resurrect this thread? If so, I'll share my story . . .
Sure! Go ahead (I just saw this), we're listening!