Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via ICQ to ink4fun
Default Daughter has a eating disorder

My daughter just told us in Aug- 2008 that she has a eating disorder. I have been reading books, but would like to talk with people. She is getting help. I try to make a card everyday for her. Sometime's I get so mad at myself for not knowing.

Colleen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via MSN to scrapbuknTI

What kind of eating Disorder? How long? How old is she? Why are you mad at yourself? Does she live with you? Sometimes we cant always see what is in front of us, and cant always help things that arent in our control. I hope you will find peace and support for your Daughter. Just be there for her.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you.She has had the eating disorder for 3 year's. She is 17. yes she live with me. I have find support for her. I did not know she was hurting so bad, that she just stop eating. She is seeing a Dr now.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Insane Embellisher

I could just cry for you. My daughter started this last year and luckily the school picked up on it fast and let us know to get her help but it just cuts your heart as a mother.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Die Cut Diva

I'm sorry for what you are going through. I have known (after the fact) a couple of friends who had eating disorders. It is not your fault. I hope that you and your daughter can get the help you both need. Best of luck to you both.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Kookie Creator

Ink4fun...we went through this with my sister. And there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop her. You have to figure out WHY she is not eating. WHAT made her stop eating. Anorexia is a form of control and when they lose control over something in their lives this is THEIR way of taking some form of control back. Even though, after a while it's not even really their control anymore because once they have gone for so long without food their brains don't let them eat, even when they want to.

My sister was 15 or 16 when it started. She's 30 and is still dealing with it. She had bulimia for some years too, even while she was pregnant with her kids!

This is probably not what you were hoping to hear, but I just wanted to tell you from someone who has first hand experience. And forcing her to eat will make it worse, so don't do that. Make sure she DOES get help. And if one doctor doesn't work, get another one. If that one doesn't work, get another one. Find one till someone meshes with your daughter. My sister didn't like any of her counsellors so she never did get the help that she needed.

None of what I have said here was in way meant to be mean either. You pretty much just need to be there for her and I will be praying for you and your daughter because this is such a sad sickness for anyone to go through.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
Kookie Creator

Also, don't beat yourself up about not knowing. Alot of times, family and friends don't know until long after it's a part of their life. I really do wish you lots of luck and yes, keep sending her those cards. Let her know you think she's beautiful and important and needed.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you everyone. Staci has a good counsellors. It just hurts a lot. I am here for her. We talk a lot, we are reading books together. It just help me to know there are people out there to talk too. Thank you again.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:57 AM   #9
Polyshrink Goddess

I am doing a swap for 3 x 3 cards. So I will have cards to give to her. Thank you everyone for you help.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:11 AM   #10
Glitter Guru

i can tell you from 1 deaing w my very best friend in highschool and 2 going thru it myself it is not a thing u did nor is there anything you can do but simply be there for her its not an easy thing to admitt and if she came to you she does want to get better .....me as a mom of 3 and 31 to still struggle with it to this day ill find myself not eating or not wanting to keep what i ate there .....hop this helps pm me or post any ?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you kristenkel7. You have help me a lot.I am here for her. We talk all the time. I know it is not anything I did. I just hurt for her. She told me mom I love your swap cards to keep them coming to her. I am working on making some cards for her. They make her happy. I work full time. But I will keep the cards going.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Glitter Guru

i can tell you support is the biggest thing to have when u r the 1 trying to make yourself better but dont try and be "over" protective i know its going to sound funny but the more ppl pushed me t eat or told me i needed to the less i would ..........Chin up it will be better and with hope and faith you will get thru this Hugs Kristen
Old 02-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
Cardstock Collector

I too delt with Anorexia first at the age of 12 and again at the age of 26. Usually it is centered around regaining some form of control. It has nothing to do with food, weight or you. Outside of a councellor make sure she has regular check up on her heart, and teeth. Anorexia was the cause of my heartattack when I was 12. It can and usually does ruin you teeth too. I with you and your family all the best, and I am sure with you by her side she will pull through this just fine and the bond between you and her will be even stronger. Both of my parents are docters and they didn't know I was dealing with Anorexia either. So don't feel bad, keep your chin up. Your daughter needs your positive feelings.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #14
Matboard Maniac

Hello, I found your post. Just wondering, did your Daughter get over anorexia? My 18 year old Daughter was diagnosed end of August and has been suffering for 2 years or so but we never knew what it was until now. She is hospitalized now and going through a lot of suffering.