Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #121
Pearl-ExPert

I wanted to see if I can join in this thread. My dd who is 2 has multiple allergies. She has anaphlactic(sp) to wheat, soy, eggs, and peanuts. She has eczema and allergic to animals. Poor girl gets it to me. I am pretty much allergic to everything under the sun

It has been hard to get my family to understand her allergies. My father tries to offer her things to help her learn to tolerate them. We have gotten in many arguments due to this.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #122
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Welcome Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK View Post
I wanted to see if I can join in this thread. My dd who is 2 has multiple allergies. She has anaphlactic(sp) to wheat, soy, eggs, and peanuts. She has eczema and allergic to animals. Poor girl gets it to me. I am pretty much allergic to everything under the sun

It has been hard to get my family to understand her allergies. My father tries to offer her things to help her learn to tolerate them. We have gotten in many arguments due to this.
Hi Casey! You are more than welcome to join in on the conversations here. This is certainly open to anyone; food allergies or no food allergies. Wow, you have lots of stuff to avoid. What a challenge it must be for you when it comes to meal time! How long has DD had her allergies? Any chance of outgrowing any of them?

When DS was first diagnosed with PA, we used to get SO frustrated at our family members (not one of them took it too seriously). We have been able to gently educate our siblings (his anuts and uncles), but it's our parents that took the longest. I guess it's a generation thing; "Nobody I knew had a food allergy!". Hear that a lot? I did for a long time. I completely sympathize.

Well if you haven't already gone on the internet looking for information or support, PeanutAllergy.com is a great place for food allergy information (just ask Bluebear) . There are a lot of veterans of food allergies in that place. And it's not just for Peanut allergies.

Again, so very sorry to hear of DD's allergies. Come in anytime and keep us posted on how she and you are doing.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #123
Forum Fanatic

Hi guys!

I'm still here. Been pretty busy. We are still avoiding egg, gluten, dairy, soy and garlic ( and PEANUT!).....and it's going pretty well. I really hope to be able to add dairy back but gluten free is not hard. We are not worrying about traces and xcontam for these....only peanut.

I am hoping to do some baking this weekend to stock pile in the freezer for snacks/treats. And I am starting to think about Ds's birthday party. Fun stuff!

Casey - welcome! Yes I do spend too much time on www.peanutallergy.com! LOL. There is tons of good information there and different points of view. I'm sorry to hear that your family doesn't get it. The threads about family not getting always upset me so much. I think my family gets it but we are so far away that we haven't had to test it much. I know my mom gets it...but is too old to do it...she reads one label but buys the product next to it. I can't really fault her for that...she's almost 80! She just sent DS some clothes for upcoming birthday...some was size 4T and some size 4! He'll grow into the 4's in a few years! he he!

Hope everyone is safe...

Kimberly....how goes your school adventures? I am waiting for school to start here and am formulating a plan. DS will start K next year...but I don't know where yet!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #124
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Just Born products

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtLvr View Post
I'm not sure how many of you actually allow your food allergy kidos to have candy, but we let our PN allergy son have VERY selective types of candy. We typically let him have any of the candy from the Tooties Roll family (within reason, of course). Their web site indicates that they are gluten, peanut and nut product free (at this time). I keep checking back from time to time just to be sure. Of course we only let him have these candies if they are in the original packaging from Tootsie Roll plant. If it's in an open bin or in a bag of mixed candies, he's not allowed to have it due to the uncertainty of the origin (Tootsie Roll plant to other mf plant).

We used to let him also have those marshmellow Peeps that come out at all the different holidays. If you click on the link, you'll see that they now a new product they are indorsing. They appearently bought another candy company that makes a chocolate peanut bar. I'm not sure if they are going to keep that manufacturing plant (where it's been produced for years) or incorporate the new candy bar into their own manufacturing plant. We're a bit bumb by this discovery b/c it's one of those treats my DH likes to share with our PNA DS.

Just thought I'd pass this along.
Wanted to update everyone on this...

I wrote JustBorn the following e-mail:
To whom it may concern,
I noticed that you have recently acquired a new product called Peanut Chews®.

Is this product manufactured in the same plant as your candies or will this product be manufactured in another facility? Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, Kimberly XXXXXX
Here is their respose:
Dear Ms. XXXXXX,

Thank you for your recent e-mail message.

We do not use peanuts or nuts at our facility in Bethlehem PA, where MARSHMALLOW PEEPS®, MIKE AND IKE®, HOT TAMALES®, ZOURS®, TEENEE BEANEE® Jelly Beans and JUST BORN® Jelly Beans are made. At the present time, the PEANUT CHEWS® are still made at the Philadelphia facility, and there are no plans to move their production here at this time.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us; we appreciate your interest in our products.

Regards,

Aubrecia Cooper
Just Born, Inc.
Consumer Relations Department
I'm personally happy about this since DS1 and DH love to share holiday peeps with each other. I occasionally get to sneek a bite when they aren't looking. AND, I'll be able to add these to the list of safe snacks at DS1 preschool.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #125
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
Hi guys!

I'm still here. Been pretty busy. We are still avoiding egg, gluten, dairy, soy and garlic ( and PEANUT!).....and it's going pretty well. I really hope to be able to add dairy back but gluten free is not hard. We are not worrying about traces and xcontam for these....only peanut.

I am hoping to do some baking this weekend to stock pile in the freezer for snacks/treats. And I am starting to think about Ds's birthday party. Fun stuff!

Casey - welcome! Yes I do spend too much time on www.peanutallergy.com! LOL. There is tons of good information there and different points of view. I'm sorry to hear that your family doesn't get it. The threads about family not getting always upset me so much. I think my family gets it but we are so far away that we haven't had to test it much. I know my mom gets it...but is too old to do it...she reads one label but buys the product next to it. I can't really fault her for that...she's almost 80! She just sent DS some clothes for upcoming birthday...some was size 4T and some size 4! He'll grow into the 4's in a few years! he he!

Hope everyone is safe...

Kimberly....how goes your school adventures? I am waiting for school to start here and am formulating a plan. DS will start K next year...but I don't know where yet!
Hey Girl!! Missed you but I knew you were busy trying to avoid more foods. I’m SOOO glad it’s going well!! What has the doctor said about his new food allergies? Any chance of outgrowing any of them? (sorry if this is a repeat question) BTW, have you tried soy milk yet? I heard Silk is good. My MIL drinks the chocolate version b/c it tastes better. She drinks soy milk to help out the hot flashes she’s been getting due to menopause.

Thanks for asking! So far so good at preschool (we started in July b/c we do that cycle break thing in my SD). I think they have nixed the notion to go peanut free but are doing a wonderful job keeping him safe. I’ve been in contact with the school nurse nearly every week. A list of snacks was finally finished and sent out to parents. I was SO please to see that another mother of a PA child objected to one of my suggestion. Someone is actually stricter than me!!! BTW, did I tell you how many PA kids are attending his school? It started under 10 when school first started and now the last count was at 13. [you can’t see but my head is shaking…well, maybe you can hear it rattle]

I’m currently working on making DS1 a 504 for next year when he attends kindergarten. You should see my binder of information; info regarding a 504, what a 504 is, who is covered, samples of 504, why kids with FA should have 504’s, etc… I’ve been spending hours on this. Now I need to start writing one. It’s that first step I’m afraid of. But I know me, once I start I won’t want to stop until it’s complete even if it’s 3:00a and I haven’t gotten any sleep. I guess you could call me a bit neurotic or maybe driven. I like “driven” better but neurotic is more accurate. [sigh]

PS. DS1 is 4y but wares mostly 5T shirts and 3T/4T shorts (he’s a tall, skinny thing just like his daddy—nothing like me). I have boxes of clothes given to me by my very generous neighbor (who has great taste!). Last time I looked I had a box for size 7 clothes. He won’t be in size 5T forever (especially if I keep feeding him). I keep all my boys clothes (yep, that's from Birth and up) in our basement on shelves purchased at Lowes. I keep the really good stuff in those large zip lock bags for extra safe keeping.

Have a great weekend and stay safe!
Old 08-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #126
Forum Fanatic

No soy for us either...i knew i left one out. It's hard to keep track.

We go back to the doc next week and may do some more testing before introducing some foods back in his diet. he is only allergic to peanuts...the others just give him eczema and who knows what else. It's been great to see him not be itchy! I really hope he can tolerate dairy....I have found great gluten free bread, muffins, cookies, brownies, cakes, etc....but no substitute for milk (he can't have soy and doesn't like rice or hemp milk) or cheese...and I know he really missses them. I did make some excellent lemon strawberry sorbet this week though! Yum!

I am right behind you with the 504 for next year...printing it all out...getting ready. I think I want to observe in the K class this year to see what goes on so I'll know what to look out for. We may keep him at his current school which is a montessori and has a kindergarten...but I am just not sure. they are "nut free" and do try but I don't think they really get it.

I really should be baking right now! he he. Or stamping.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #127
down and digi

We got our latest results from the allergist today.

He says that DS is not allergic to tree nuts. He also tested negative in Jan through a RAST, and when we told him the methods used for the test by the first allergist 2 years ago, he told us that we received a false negative. He told us to reintroduce the nuts one at a time, and we don't even have to do challenge tests in his office since he was actually negative all along.

We did add anchovies to our list of allergens today though.

He also questioned whether our DS actually was asthmatic. He is troubled by the fact that it takes DS an hour to respond to ventolin when he has difficulty breathing - it's either far more severe than we think, or it is something else. DS has Sensory Integration Disorder (SID), and he does not feel his difficulty breathing, so it is highly likely that we are not grasping how severe he is when he has an attack. Also, he does not consciously struggle to breath, so it is very difficult for us to guage his attacks. His co-ordination is getting in the way of accurate breathing tests.

So, the doctor is putting him on the maximum inhaled steroid dose and if we see no improvement over 4 months, we can assume it is not asthma and then we have to find out what actually causing his shortness of breath.

He also told us that because his reactions are probably far more severe than we realize, we should be using his epipen a lot sooner than we think he needs it, and we should be going to the ER a lot more often to allow them to guage the severity of the attack.

So, we recieved some good news and some troubling news. This doc definitely seems like he wants to get on top of it, and he didn't brush us off as nuerotic parents as we have had happen in the past. In the past the moment we mentions SID, the doctor's eyes usually glaze over and they don't take us seriously after that. This doctor is taking it more seriously because of the SID. YEAH!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #128
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2stampers View Post
I

My son tested positive to hazelnuts 2 years ago from a scratch test. A year later our lives came to a grinding halt as he developed anaphylaxis from within his own body and we were told he had a year to live. We have since found out the diagnosis was wrong, and we are seeing many different doctors. Many of his allergies may actually be false reactions He's now tested negative to everything through the RAST test except for shrimp. But, he had a minor anaphylactic reaction a month ago while hiking in the woods. We don't know why.

We are a lot more relaxed now than we were, and we've realized we have to relax to give him a normal life. We went for 4 months with him sleeping with me and my DH in the guest room because we found him unconscious in bed.

We have another allergist/immulogist appointment in July and they will try to introduce tree nuts into his diet.
This is my DS's history for those who do not know it. THe reactions he was having last fall have all stopped since we moved from our acreage in the woods back to the city.

The doctor is now questioning whether he was having chronic hives, along with difficulty breathing and whether he ever had an anaphylactic reaction. We know he definitely had one last summer, but the rest are now questionable.

We are in a far better frame of mind now (esp after today) than we were last fall.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #129
Forum Fanatic

K2 - that's good news I think? Your son's history is just so confusing to me...I imagine to you too! I don't really understand....the doc said that the reactions weren't really anaphalactic but you should be using the epi sooner?

We have been given the go-ahead to start to reintro some foods to ds...the naturopath said to give him two servings (these were never IgE Food allergies) a day for three days in a row and if we didn't see a reaction we could add another food back on day 4. So far we tried soy and he reacted after 1 day - so we stopped and are going to wait two more weeks and try again. I'm in denial that it was the soy and am hoping it was just a cold.

Hope everyone is staying safe. I met an incredible woman yesterday whose child is ana to peanuts and eggs and smell and contact sensative. He also reacts to dairy and CHLORINE!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #130
down and digi

Quote:
K2 - that's good news I think? Your son's history is just so confusing to me...I imagine to you too! I don't really understand....the doc said that the reactions weren't really anaphalactic but you should be using the epi sooner?

We have been given the go-ahead to start to reintro some foods to ds...the naturopath said to give him two servings (these were never IgE Food allergies) a day for three days in a row and if we didn't see a reaction we could add another food back on day 4. So far we tried soy and he reacted after 1 day - so we stopped and are going to wait two more weeks and try again. I'm in denial that it was the soy and am hoping it was just a cold.

Hope everyone is staying safe. I met an incredible woman yesterday whose child is ana to peanuts and eggs and smell and contact sensative. He also reacts to dairy and CHLORINE!
Good luck reintroducing foods! I hope it goes well!

Our DS is anaphylactic to shellfish and anchovies. One of the reactions was to anchovy paste. We handled it with Benedryl, but he said he could have gone the other way very fast, and we are lucky that it didn't. Next time we should use the epi.

WE have also had many times where the ventolin didn't work for the asthma, and he doesn't understand why. So, instead of continuing to give him more and more of a med that isn't working, we should give him the epi - just in case. He said that if it is asthma, the epi will not hurt, and if it is not asthma, the epi will help. So....we don't know what is going on, but he wants us to go to the epi faster and go to the ER faster than we have been.

I wonder if the mother you mentioned has ruled out salt. Salt is NaCL, which is sodium and chlorine. When we questioned the chlorine content in the salt water pool, they pointed out that salt has chlorine in it.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #131
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
DS has Sensory Integration Disorder (SID), and he does not feel his difficulty breathing, so it is highly likely that we are not grasping how severe he is when he has an attack. Also, he does not consciously struggle to breath, so it is very difficult for us to guage his attacks. His co-ordination is getting in the way of accurate breathing tests.

So, the doctor is putting him on the maximum inhaled steroid dose and if we see no improvement over 4 months, we can assume it is not asthma and then we have to find out what actually causing his shortness of breath.

So, we recieved some good news and some troubling news. This doc definitely seems like he wants to get on top of it, and he didn't brush us off as nuerotic parents as we have had happen in the past. In the past the moment we mentions SID, the doctor's eyes usually glaze over and they don't take us seriously after that. This doctor is taking it more seriously because of the SID. YEAH!
My second dd is the one with food allergies and she also has SID, it is nice to meet someone else going through the same thing as us! It is hard to tell when she is having a reaction as well. Things don't hurt her that should and I find that both amazing and troubling.

I am so glad that you have a found a doctor that is respecting SID, they are hard to find. I hope and pray that one day SID will be as accepted as autism.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #132
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyK View Post
My second dd is the one with food allergies and she also has SID, it is nice to meet someone else going through the same thing as us! It is hard to tell when she is having a reaction as well. Things don't hurt her that should and I find that both amazing and troubling.

I am so glad that you have a found a doctor that is respecting SID, they are hard to find. I hope and pray that one day SID will be as accepted as autism.

How do you recognize her reactions? So far the only symptom we get with our DS is that he pulls in between his ribs. However, he continues to run talk, and show no distress at all. We have even found him in bed, asleep, and almost unconscious from lack of air - he simply doesn't feel it.

I am glad this doctor is trying to figure out how severe it is.

Does your DD have anaphylaxis? Does she have asthma? What are the reactions you are concerned about?

I would love to hear how you have faired so far figuring things out.

As far as I know, all autistics have SID, but not all SID is autism. I think if it was pulled under the autistic spectrum, it would have more validity with doctors and educators, but at the same time I know what needs to be done and I do it. It doesn't really matter what it's called.

The one thing we have done that has helped us, is we started to train him to recognize the reactions. When I notice he is reacting, I talk to him as I treat him. I tell him to think about his head, and asks how it feels, think about his chest and how it feels, then stomach, arms, legs, etc. Then I say `when you feel this way, I want you to tell someone you are having trouble breathing. That's what it means.' He is understanding that. He doesn't necessarily understand why it is important that he does this, but he is starting to tell us. The doctor thinks he is far more severe though, and is only telling us when the symptoms are truly bad. Another pattern we have noticed, is that when he tells me he has a tummy ache, it is often a breathing difficulty issue - he's not able to identify the correct area, and stomach is pretty close.

I agree that it is nice to hear from someone else whose child has a similar set of problems. It's nice to compare notes, and possibly learn from eachother.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:37 AM   #133
Pearl-ExPert

Hello everyone. My name is Deanne and I have celiac disease and my 2 year old DD just had a severe reaction to cashews yesterday. (I feel like I'm at AA, allergies anonymous-sp)
I was eating cashews and she wanted some, so I gave her a few little peices. Within 15 minutes, she started sneezing uncontrollably, itchy watery eyes, redness around her mouth. Within a half hour, one side of her nose started to swell. Looked like she shoved a marble up her nostril. Took her to the er where her face continued to swell then she started to itch. EVERYWHERE! Then of course, she turned into one great big hive!!!
So we figured, it must be the cashews! Today, we are going to see our ped. and I assume, an allergist from there.
She has had peanuts without problem, and other foods, but...
We had her tested for the basic allergy panel just a few weeks ago with a blood test, and it showed her highly allergic to our dog, moderately allergic to eggs, and very low allergies to peanuts, milk, and wheat. Those last three were so low, it said vertually undetectable.
So that is the quick version of our story. I'm so glad that someone directed me over to this thread! It is very informative.
Have a great day ladies!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:44 AM   #134
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Good luck reintroducing foods! I hope it goes well!

Our DS is anaphylactic to shellfish and anchovies. One of the reactions was to anchovy paste. We handled it with Benedryl, but he said he could have gone the other way very fast, and we are lucky that it didn't. Next time we should use the epi.

WE have also had many times where the ventolin didn't work for the asthma, and he doesn't understand why. So, instead of continuing to give him more and more of a med that isn't working, we should give him the epi - just in case. He said that if it is asthma, the epi will not hurt, and if it is not asthma, the epi will help. So....we don't know what is going on, but he wants us to go to the epi faster and go to the ER faster than we have been.

I wonder if the mother you mentioned has ruled out salt. Salt is NaCL, which is sodium and chlorine. When we questioned the chlorine content in the salt water pool, they pointed out that salt has chlorine in it.
For us, we have chlorine added to our tap water, I wonder if this is also something to be aware of?
Old 09-13-2007, 06:28 AM   #135
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairy queen View Post
For us, we have chlorine added to our tap water, I wonder if this is also something to be aware of?

Only if chlorine is an issue for you. I only mentioned that because the lady that was mentioned said chlorine was an issue.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #136
Pearl-ExPert

Gotcha, I'm with ya. Sorry for the miscommunication.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #137
Polyshrink Goddess

Question Sensory Integration Disorder (SID)

Hello everyone! Sorry I’ve been away so long. DS2’s been sick and is now going through some sleep issues (and he’s my easy-to-bed child). He’s getting better on all aspects; it’s just taking a long time and a whole lot of patience.

Anyway, I am VERY fascinated with your conversation on Sensory Integration Disorder (SID). My DS1 (turned 4 this past May) is very allergic to Peanuts and Cats, has been diagnosed with asthma, and has a Language issue (which means he has trouble communicating and understanding things).

Now, my interest for SID comes in b/c of a few experiences we've had with him. We were told he has a high tolerance for pain. Here are a few things that he’s been through but not really complained about until he’s pretty bad off…

When he had his first bought of pneumonia he acted normal until just before his 1st morning nap. Suddenly he couldn’t walk b/c he didn’t have the energy to come to me. He’s chest was retracting (something I’d never seen before) which scared me. Called the pediatrician’s office and they fit him right in. Sure enough he had pneumonia and was sent to the hospital.

Nearly every time he’s had an ear infection we either find out accidentally (trip to Dr’s office for something else) or he waits until his eardrum pops before he says a word; never cries or complains before then.

This past spring he had decided to hold back his movements (we were trying to potty train). Thinking back I realized he was withholding his bowls for about six weeks only allowing just enough here and there to fool us. He never complained. By the time he finally complained of his stomach hurting, we went to the doctor and they had his belly x-rayed. Turned out his bowls were SO backed up that it took 2 weeks to completely empty his digestive track. He was going twice a day. It’s funny the things we get excited about once we have kids. DH and I get so excited and praise DS1 every time he has a movement. We he doesn’t have a BM for a day, I remind him about how bad his tummy felt when he holds it. The next day I usually get results. ;D

I learned to watch his behavior and ask him questions when he exhibits his “out of character” behavior. Sometimes I don’t get accurate answers so I’ve learned to ask a serious of quirky question as well as the serious ones…like “How’s your bellybutton?”, “How’s your ears”, “How’s your eyebrows?”, How’s your stomach?”, “How’s your toe nail?”, etc. He typically giggles and will answer more accurately that way.

Should I bring up SID at his next dr’s visit or could he be that he’s got a high tolerance for pain? Or would this be best asked by my Parent Educator. I went to WebMD.com and looked up Sensory Integration Disorder. Some of the symptoms fit him but not all. He used to be sensitive to sound but not much any more. He doesn’t like his face to be washed but is tolerant of his hands being dirty. He’s gags on certain foods; generally if it’s something new I’m trying to get him to eat. He’s getting help for his Fine Motor skills through our school district. He LOVES to spin. One of his amazing talents is he has a great imagination, but he plays out the same scenarios over and over and over. I’ve never really thought much of this; chucked it up to “kids learning by repetition”, ya know?

Should I be concerned?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #138
down and digi

Kimberly, I will PM you later after I pick up my kids at school. I am just heading out the door.

I will quickly say that there is a wide spectrum for SID and 80% of us are on the spectrum. There is an amazing book on the subject, and it is worth reading. It's called The Out of Sync Child
Old 09-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #139
Pearl-ExPert

Hi guys. The dr.s appt. went well. She doesn't think I need to carry an epi pen around at this time. My DD didn't really show any signs of anaphylaxis. She didn't have any wheezing or swelling of the throat.
My dr. DID say to always carry around the benedryl with me though.
I'm just not sure. Something is telling me to take her to an allergy speciallist. I'm just so afraid of it happening again, and having it be a much more severe reaction.
I'm also not looking forward to dealing with my In-laws. They already think that MY gluten free diet is absurd! Hopefully, they will understand this loud and clear!!! It is so hard trying to get people to understand the sevearity of food allergies!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #140
down and digi

Quote:
Hi guys. The dr.s appt. went well. She doesn't think I need to carry an epi pen around at this time. My DD didn't really show any signs of anaphylaxis. She didn't have any wheezing or swelling of the throat.
I'm just not sure. Something is telling me to take her to an allergy speciallist. I'm just so afraid of it happening again, and having it be a much more severe reaction.
I'm also not looking forward to dealing with my In-laws. They already think that MY gluten free diet is absurd! Hopefully, they will understand this loud and clear!!! It is so hard trying to get people to understand the sevearity of food allergies!!!

I am sorry, but your doctor is wrong. Definitely go to an allergist! Also, you may be able to buy an epipen without a prescription - I know that in Canada, it differs by province. You may want to look into that so you have the peace of mind until you see the allergist.

I feel your pain about the diet. We have a special diet as well, and it can make life difficult.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #141
Polyshrink Goddess

Exclamation Make an appointment w/Allergist today!!

Quote:
I completely agree with momof2stampers!! If there is the SLIGHTEST possibility your child could have an anaphylactic reaction an EpiPen must and should be carried. You should without a doubt see an allergist. Pediatricians have a wide range of things they treat. Allergists are focused on the allergy.

You’re in the right place, girl. This thread is all about “getting the seriousness” of food allergies. I just recently came in contact with another mom whose child was just diagnosed with PA (did I mention she's a local to me!! ). She found out about me through my DS1’s preschool nurse (I’ve been working with her on list of safe snacks for children w/PA). There are 13 children in DS1’s school that have a PA. I find it very disheartening to be the only parent out of 13 that takes it as serious as it really is. This mother that's local is a parent educator in my school district. It sound like she want to start having meetings on FA and educating the masses about FA. I sure hope she does.

It’s been my experience that it takes having a food allergy to really “get it”. When it came to my in-law’s, I used the “over the top” discussions. For instance at our first Thanksgiving after finding out about DS1’s PA, I inquired about everything. Seeing my MIL was getting irritated, I explained how I didn’t want to spend Thanksgiving in the ER b/c I wasn’t careful about what DS1 ate. She’s an “over-the-top” kind of person; can be a bit dramatic in a conservative way (if that makes sense). Going to the extreme seems to really get my point across well with them. Now, my FIL is an idiot when it comes to FA. He drives me crazy! So I just plain ignore him. Of course I’m cordial and polite (smile when appropriate, make small talk when necessary, act like I’m listening, that sort of thing). He’ll never be able to watch either of my kids by himself. Not a chance…

This is how I handle idiots of FA. What do the rest of you do?
Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #142
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Hello everyone. My name is Deanne and I have celiac disease and my 2 year old DD just had a severe reaction to cashews yesterday. (I feel like I'm at AA, allergies anonymous-sp)
I was eating cashews and she wanted some, so I gave her a few little peices. Within 15 minutes, she started sneezing uncontrollably, itchy watery eyes, redness around her mouth. Within a half hour, one side of her nose started to swell. Looked like she shoved a marble up her nostril. Took her to the er where her face continued to swell then she started to itch. EVERYWHERE! Then of course, she turned into one great big hive!!!
So we figured, it must be the cashews! Today, we are going to see our ped. and I assume, an allergist from there.
She has had peanuts without problem, and other foods, but...
We had her tested for the basic allergy panel just a few weeks ago with a blood test, and it showed her highly allergic to our dog, moderately allergic to eggs, and very low allergies to peanuts, milk, and wheat. Those last three were so low, it said vertually undetectable.
So that is the quick version of our story. I'm so glad that someone directed me over to this thread! It is very informative.
Have a great day ladies!
Okay twin lady o' mine. I was diagnosed with Celiac this year and we had to take my ds to the ER in June after he had a severe reaction to Cashews. Crazy!! He had only taken a bite of ice cream that contained Cashews when his reaction set in. He threw up, freaked out, and about an hour later broke out in hives head-to-toe and started sounding congested. At the ER the MD said his uvula looked swollen in the back of his throat. He was treated and released with the recommendation to see his allergist. My ds had the skin test done for nuts and showed severe hives/redness to almonds, cashews, walnuts, and pecans - tree nuts. He was diagnosed with dog/cat/horse and some seasonal allergies a couple of yrs ago. Anyway, he was prescribed an Epipen and I bought him a medicalert bracelet. He is going to public school this year and things are all set up with his Benadryl and Epipen with the school nurse/office/and his teacher.

As a new gluten-free cook, I have had to be very careful because many of my previously used GF recipes had traces or large amounts of nuts in them. BTW, he never reacted to any of my baked items with nuts, not even brownies with ground almonds. His allergist said the baking process may have denatured them to the point of not causing a reaction.

I would definitely encourage an appt. with an allergist. The next reaction could be so much more severe. I have told my dh that my dx of Celiac has helped prepare me for his dx of tree nut allergy. I am already a vigilant label-reader and I know what it is like to have to pass up certain foods. I wish you the best...

-Chantae
Old 09-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #143
Forum Fanatic

Default GO TO AN ALLERGIST! GET AN EPI PEN

Quote:

I don't have now to read and post intellegently (do I ever?) but as others have said your doctor is wrong !!!!! I think I posted the thread in this thread of all the people who died - many children - many without epi's. If you don't think you need an epi pen read it! Also you need to test for peanut allergy too.

I'll be back
Old 09-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #144
Pearl-ExPert

Is my husband the only one in this world who poo poo's things off to easily??? He makes me so mad sometimes. He said if the Dr. didn't recommend it, than why should we go? I would think that going through with everything that I have gone through, he would understand how important this is to me.
Well, I don't care. I'm calling the dr. on Monday. This is really bothering me! I'm also calling his cousin. Her 5 year old DD has a severe peanut allergy. I think she will help my case!!!
I WAS able to get him to read a really GREAT page I found on the net, about tree nut allergies. So maybe that will help!
Chantae, that is the most bizarre thing. Isn't it??? Us being so connected!
Bluebear, I have given her pb for over a year now and tolerates it fine. Her blood test only showed a very low number for peanuts. Can it really get that severe so quickly? Oh how I hope she won't develop any more...
Thanks ladies!
Old 09-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #145
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Is my husband the only one in this world who poo poo's things off to easily??? He makes me so mad sometimes. He said if the Dr. didn't recommend it, than why should we go? I would think that going through with everything that I have gone through, he would understand how important this is to me.
Speaking only personally, your husband is not the only one. Although mine did not brush off DS PA at all (I guess b/c he saw DS in the ER and really listened to the ER doctors and nurses). He does however shrug off a lot of other things. He was in complete denial about our sons Language Issue. It’s been over a year since he was diagnosed and is now realizing how “different” he really is. Maybe it’s a defense mechanism; total and complete denial that there could be “something wrong with one of my off springs”. Until he see’s actual proof, he just won’t believe it. I love him dearly, but when he gets like that I shrug him off and do what I feel is best. Because no one knows better than mama!

We’ll be married 8y this October, but we’ve been together for a total of 18y. I know how the man thinks.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:05 PM   #146
Forum Fanatic

It took a while (not long) for my dh to get it. But he does now.

Deanne....what test for peanut was low? Was it a blood test - do you know what kind? Or a skin test? But really the gold standard for all allergy testing is reaction history. If she is eating peanut without reaction then I would think she is not allergic to it. But I am not a doc by any stretch. The thing with food allergies is that you can get false pos and/or false neg on both skin and blood tests and that's why IMO getting to an allergist (board certified and pediatric if possible) is really important. There is a lot of interpretting going on and the more experienced the "interprettor" the better. The pediatrians here wont even touch food allergies....they rx the epi and send you to the allergist. Show your DH this thread...

http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanu...ML/000426.html

It's really important to see a good allergist and listen to what they say. I can not imagine any allergist would say that you didn't need an epi given what you described as your daughters reaction.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #147
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks guys, I knew you would understand!!!! sigh, husbands!

Sara, I'm not exactly sure about which kind of test she had, other than it was a blood test. It also tested for eggs, soy, wheat, dairy, corn, dog, cat, and some other weird thing. I'd have to go find my paper about it. But I do know for sure that it was a blood test (not fun with an extremely strong 2 year old!!!)
I'll be calling Monday!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #148
Pearl-ExPert

OOPS Sorry, SaraH
Old 09-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #149
Forum Fanatic

as long as you see an allergist you can call me anything you want!

Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:10 PM   #150
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
How do you recognize her reactions? So far the only symptom we get with our DS is that he pulls in between his ribs. However, he continues to run talk, and show no distress at all. We have even found him in bed, asleep, and almost unconscious from lack of air - he simply doesn't feel it.

I am glad this doctor is trying to figure out how severe it is.

Does your DD have anaphylaxis? Does she have asthma? What are the reactions you are concerned about?

I would love to hear how you have faired so far figuring things out.

As far as I know, all autistics have SID, but not all SID is autism. I think if it was pulled under the autistic spectrum, it would have more validity with doctors and educators, but at the same time I know what needs to be done and I do it. It doesn't really matter what it's called.

The one thing we have done that has helped us, is we started to train him to recognize the reactions. When I notice he is reacting, I talk to him as I treat him. I tell him to think about his head, and asks how it feels, think about his chest and how it feels, then stomach, arms, legs, etc. Then I say `when you feel this way, I want you to tell someone you are having trouble breathing. That's what it means.' He is understanding that. He doesn't necessarily understand why it is important that he does this, but he is starting to tell us. The doctor thinks he is far more severe though, and is only telling us when the symptoms are truly bad. Another pattern we have noticed, is that when he tells me he has a tummy ache, it is often a breathing difficulty issue - he's not able to identify the correct area, and stomach is pretty close.

I agree that it is nice to hear from someone else whose child has a similar set of problems. It's nice to compare notes, and possibly learn from eachother.
I am sorry it has taken so long for me to reply, I started a part time job so I could have some "me" time!

We recognize her symptoms pretty much the same way you do. It is very hard and we have to watch her very closely. We also very rarely let anyone else watch her and if we do it has to be someone we really trust and who understand just exactly what she is going through.

Does your DD have anaphylaxis? Yep, we carry multiple epipens with us. Does she have asthma? Yes, she has had this trouble since she was 2 months old. She has breathing treatments daily. What are the reactions you are concerned about? I am most afraid if a reaction starts later rather than sooner after contact and I don't know it, like if she is napping. A few weeks ago she had something she was allergic to and didn't react or anything but i noticed her face was puffy and that she had these huge hives all over, her one eye was barely open. She didn't notice anything, I was shocked. She will also scratch her eczema until it is bleeding a lot and not notice that it hurts.

One thing she does that I just don't understand is sucking her two middle fingers on her right hand. She has done this since she was really little. Well, when she is upset, nervous, scared, or in any situation she doesn't like she will bite down so hard to where there are marks and almost bleeding, but she never notices.

I thought I would share a picture of her!
Attached Thumbnails
178592397-m.jpg  
Old 09-16-2007, 10:12 PM   #151
Pearl-ExPert

Here is a picture of her having a reaction taht she had no idea was going on. The picture may not show how bad it was, hopefully you can see a little of what was going on.

If I get annoying with the pics please let me know, I love showing off my kiddos!
Attached Thumbnails
174531487-m.jpg  
Old 09-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #152
Pearl-ExPert

I forgot to add to the mom who has a DS with spd and the mom who was asking if hers could possibly have it.

My dd never notices when she has an ear infection either, actually she never even notices when she has a cold or anything like that. I often wonder if our doc thinks we are horrible b/c he will tell me about ear infections or a popped ear drum at most of our appointments.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #153
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile Some Local News--School Going Peanut-free

Here's an article my newspaper wrote over the weekend. If anyone is interested, feel free to read it. If you're having trouble, let me know and I could post the entire article.

We do not live withing this school district. Wish we did. Anybody else have schools going Peanut-free?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:01 AM   #154
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
We do not live withing this school district. Wish we did. Anybody else have schools going Peanut-free?
UHG...that's "within" not "withing"...not even sure that's a word... [sigh]
Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #155
Forum Fanatic

Hi guys....I brand new allergy related message board has just been created and I wanted to share it with you. It has sections for many food allergies although there are many parents of peanut allergic children there. There is a section for gluten, egg, soy, milk, etc and more are welcome.

Please come check it out....My name on that board is Stinkerbutt - although I may change it.

Here is a link...

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php
Old 09-18-2007, 10:47 AM   #156
Forum Fanatic

Casey....love the pics. What a beautiful child....and I know well that puffy eye!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #157
Polyshrink Goddess

Talking Sarah, you crack me up!

Quote:
Hi guys....I brand new allergy related message board has just been created and I wanted to share it with you. It has sections for many food allergies although there are many parents of peanut allergic children there. There is a section for gluten, egg, soy, milk, etc and more are welcome.

Please come check it out....My name on that board is Stinkerbutt - although I may change it.

Here is a link...

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php
Girl, you sure know how to get people to laugh or smile...I think Stinkerbutt is rather appropriate!

Thanks for sharing this new web site! Looks like some of the people from PeanutAllergy.com visit there, too.

Thanks again!
Old 09-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #158
down and digi

Quote:
Here's an article my newspaper wrote over the weekend. If anyone is interested, feel free to read it. If you're having trouble, let me know and I could post the entire article.

Our school is nut-free.

However, today was hot lunch day, and everyone had meatballs and the meatballs have worchestershire sauce. Previously, my son ate a single bite of something with W. Sauce, and he immediately threw it up and still had an anaphylactic reaction.

So, I am super happy that the school is nut free, and I do not believe that we can remove every allergen from the schools, but I was on pins and needles for a lot of today.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #159
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Wow....what a great district.

I'd like to send a letter the woman who thinks we aren't educating our kids about the allergy though....wonder what SHE knows about it. grrrr
Old 09-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #160
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Wow....what a great district.

I'd like to send a letter the woman who thinks we aren't educating our kids about the allergy though....wonder what SHE knows about it. grrrr
No Kidding!!! I once found a letter on PeanutAllergy.com from a non-food allergy mom that was outraged by her school going Peanut-free. When trying to build her case on reverseing that action she realized the severity of this allergy and completely changed her mind and started supporting the cause. Did you see that post? I can't seem to find it again... [sigh] Once I do I’ll going to post it here. It was really good!