Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #81
Insane Embellisher

Food allergies are SO scary. When I was weaning my DS, I went through a 6 week period where I had 4 anaphylaxic episodes--one had me in complete shock with no blood pressure in an ambulance as a priority trauma. I was terrified and completely unable to breathe on my own. The other episodes were just hives, an upset tummy, itchy feet and palms. The worst part of the whole ordeal: we never discovered what caused my reactions...there was never a common denominator foodwise. I ended up treating my seasonal alleriges pretty heavily b/c they though maybe my seasonal allergies were so bad that I was basically on over load and the least little thing were put my system into a reaction. That was in 2000 and I haven't had one since.

Fast forward about 5 years. My DD ate some of my shrimp scampi when we went out to lunch with family. She ended up with similiar symtoms as I had had with previous food allergies (or it might of been too much butter!--upset tummy, sweating, itchy hands and feet) The ped. gave us an epi pen to use if it occured again, and a year passed. About 2 months ago, we went to Applebees for dinner. I ordered fried shrimp and my MIL had chicken tenders. My DD ate one of my MIL's pieces of chicken. I'm assuming the chicken and shrimp were either cooked in the same basket or oil b/c after dinner, she had a reaction like with the shrimp. Needless to say, we're going to an allergist to see what we're dealing with now.

Hats off to all of you moms who have to make serious life adjustments for your food-allergy kids. As someone who's been that anaphylaxic patient who couldn't breathe...there's nothing more terrifying than not being able to take a full breath and not knowing if the reaction is going to stop. I hope that none of your children will never have to experience why they need to be careful with what they eat (meaning...I hope they never experience a reaction like I had). Good luck to all of you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #82
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygalval View Post
Thanks for all the info, Sarah. I am so bummed now. It is so hard to know where to draw the line. Granted, DD's reactions have only been hives but I know it could get worse. Her skin is SO sensitive that it hard to tell if she is having a reaction to food or something else. She gets a rash from just going outside to play!
After spending way too much time on www.peanutallergy.com and reading everything I decided two (ok three) things...

1) it was easier for DS to have one rule to follow - ONLY EAT FOOD FROM MOMMY AND DADDY PERIOD. He is 3.5 and very bright. If he saw me making exceptions like when we are at a friends house...then he would mimick this and try to do it on his own. Someday that will be fine...but not for a long time.

2) It would be easier to have a really tight comfort zone and relax it later than to let him have things and then take them away later if my comfort zone changed.

3) Trust no one. Even family. Even (or especially) people who think they know about PA. They are the most dangerous.

I recently went to a Naturopath for DS's skin problems and it was really helpful. She put him on fish oil and probiotics and is doing some bloodwork. I would NOT EVER go against anything my allergist said....but this is complementary.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:55 PM   #83
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2stampers View Post
Thanks. The daily fear is no longer there, and we are all a lot better. Hopefully we will get some more answers in July when we go to `yet another doctor' I have had people joke that he could be an episode on the show House.
Good to have a sense of humor, huh. If we can't laugh and affectionately "make fun" then all we do is be sad...who needs that! I constantly poke fun at myself and some of the things DS1 has to or has gone through just to keep it from gettiní too darn serious. For instance, he has a language issue (has hard time communicating [i.e. can't/doesnít know how to respond to Who, What, Where, When, or How questions]; not serous issue just a little hard to get info. out of him). He gets help from our school district and I jokingly say (with GREAT affection) he rides the short bus to school. That might sound cruel but he is very passive and laid-back. Oddly enough, the kid is very smart and excels in other areas for which I compliment him on constantly. I want him to know that heís got special gifts yet try to keep him humble.

I think I digressed... Anyway, a good sense of humor is always good to have!

Quote:
Your friend must be the one that's been in the news. How terribly sad for you. I cannot imagine the grief and anguish you must be feeling.

A friend of mine lost her brother to murder on the day my DD was born(5 1/2 years ago), and I know what she went through in her grief (it's even worse than a normal death or accident because it was intentional and senseless). HUGS!!!!!
At the memorial for my classmate and her children the reverend talked about death; how at times it can be a friend but not this time. You're right, this was completely senseless. Thank you for thinking of me. But my heart weeps for the family of these victims. The mother was an identical twin. Her sister looks in the mirror and longs to speak to her sister but can't. The father thinks (being the male figure and protector) he could have or should have prevented this from happening. But there truly was no way it could have. There were no typical or common signs indicating trouble was brewing, you know? We are all perplexed. It is all very surreal. I rode the bus with this girl for several years. My SIL is BF with her twin. But my mind keeps going back to her babies; just innocent victims of adult issues. All these emotions that they have now will reappear with thereís a trial. Itís all so very sad. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and kindness. Iím so very sorry for your friend. They say time is the healer, but do we ever completely heal from tragedies like these?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:21 PM   #84
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
Kimberly.....

I bought a years worth of beautiful chocolate lolipops at
http://www.vermontnutfree.com/

They are really good and I keep some in a treat bag as school so when they unexpected birthday parties with cupcakes DS can have one of these.

I also bought a HUGE box of candy and granola bars from
http://www.peanutfreeplanet.com/

I also bought a ton of dried fruit from Sensable Foods
http://www.amazon.com/Sensible-Foods.../dp/B000EYRHL2

AND I bought a bought enough vanilla (to make ice cream) to last for 3 years at
www.thevanillashop.com
Sarah,
Thank you so much for sharing all these great web connections to safe yummy treats! I'll have to check them all out as soon as I can!

Quote:
As soon as he was diagnosed I was frantic to make sure that he "treats" even though he had never had many treats before! I just didn't want to be caught off guard. LOL.
We're the same way about treats. We don't keep junk in the house, and never did. I'm baking more junk now than I ever did (he likes to "help"--and I use that term very loosely; he more or less just wants to sample what's being made ). He had his first popsicle at about 4 weeks ago. When I told that to his teacher she was surprised and wondered what I fed this poor kid. What can I say, food allergy forces us to eat healthy.

Quote:
So when Brown came to the house there were NO SU boxes....just chocolate, candy and fruit for a while!
If brown came to my house bringing nothin but chocolate...mmmm...one more reason to love that beautiful brown truck and the men to drive them! Bring it on!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #85
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
After spending way too much time on www.peanutallergy.com and reading everything I decided two (ok three) things...

1) it was easier for DS to have one rule to follow - ONLY EAT FOOD FROM MOMMY AND DADDY PERIOD. He is 3.5 and very bright. If he saw me making exceptions like when we are at a friends house...then he would mimick this and try to do it on his own. Someday that will be fine...but not for a long time.

2) It would be easier to have a really tight comfort zone and relax it later than to let him have things and then take them away later if my comfort zone changed.

3) Trust no one. Even family. Even (or especially) people who think they know about PA. They are the most dangerous.

I recently went to a Naturopath for DS's skin problems and it was really helpful. She put him on fish oil and probiotics and is doing some bloodwork. I would NOT EVER go against anything my allergist said....but this is complementary.
Sarah,
My feelings exactly!! It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one (besides DH) that is strick on what our DS eats. I do have to say we've bought Stoney Ridge ice cream, but that may change once I get a chance to read through the FDA link you provided (maybe Santa will be bring me an Ice Cream maker for Christmas). That looks like good reading. I get so lost at peanutallergy.com. I just don't have the time to sit and surf it like I'd like to.

One of my BIGGEST pet pieves is when someone tells me "this is safe". Ohhhhh that really gets me. Unless they are my allergist, my pediatrican, or my DH don't tell me something is safe. Even if any of the fore mentioned people were to tell it's safe I'd still look to verify. That really gets my blood boiling!!! My one SIL is famous for that and so many times I've had to prove her wrong. UGH!! It would be so bad if it was only a few times a year but we get together with the in-laws at least once or twice a month. [sigh] But I do know it could be so much more worse. Sorry, I just had to vent...

Thanks for keeping us so well informed! I always look forward to your posts!
Old 06-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #86
Pearl-ExPert

Default there is hope!

today my 21-month-old son had his follow up skin test...after his first annual blood test. a year ago, at 8 months, he was anaphalactic to milk. and tested off the charts on egg and peanut. soy was medium. he's never had egg or peanut and we were told those tested high enough to be anaphalactic too.

fast forward to his first yearly blood test a few weeks ago. he tested negative to soy, egg, and peanut! milk went from class 4 to class 3.

today they did the follow up skin test. soy and peanut were again negative. egg was medium. milk was medium!!! the mediums were low enough to move on to food challenges, where we actually give them to him and monitor his reaction.

we will do the milk challenge in 5 days at the doctor office. then we will schedule an egg challenge soon after.

i had tears of joy all afternoon. it was hard to get through my stamping class tonight and i didn't even care that the new catalogs arrived today. i haven't even opened one up yet! sharing this info with you was more important. i know hearing good stories can give us hope.

i pray you all find your own victories in dealing with this difficult issue. i'll update after the food challenges.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #87
Forum Fanatic

Jamie...that is such great news. I can feel your joy!

I'll bet he passes the food challenges!

Does the doc think that if/since he outgrew some that he might also outgrow the milk? Or does he/she think that the others may have been false positives? Oh wait...I just re-read...he is going to challenge on the milk too! That is fabulous! Please please keep us posted.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #88
Forum Fanatic

When we first found out about the PA one of ds's teachers (he's in preschool) questioned just about everything I was doing. Her daughter is PA and she knows a lot about it. But what she was comfortable with was not the same as me. And she has since told me that they end up in the ER a lot! No thank you! BUT when my ds had a reaction at school...she handled it very well. I just had to be really firm and consistant with her that he can only have our food. Nothing else.

The first time we went to a friends house for a brunch after knowing about PA I brought DS's food. I was going to use it as a learning experience for ds AND the other couples that were there. The funny think is that I actually would trust the people whose house we were at. They really get it....they are immaculately clean, had checked all the labels - served mostly whole foods, have a nephew with PA, etc - but I still had to hold firm so that DS would get used to eating "different" food and being ok with that.

JAMIE.....make sure to ask the doc if you need to feed your son the allergens regularly if he passes the challenge. I think that is the current thinking...that their body needs it frequently or the allergies may come back. And some children are so used to not eating and not liking something that they dont want to eat it. LOL. I wish I didn't want to eat peanut butter.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 PM   #89
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtLvr View Post

Thanks for keeping us so well informed! I always look forward to your posts!
can I just say thanks

Most times I feel pretty sure and confident about what I am doing in regards to this but sometimes I feel like I am going crazy or beating my head against a wall or that no matter how hard I work no matter how much I learn it just doesn't matter b/c there is always something new that I didn't think of that is a loophole in my plan and your praise just came at a really good (or bad) time for me and I really apprecaite it.

So thank you.

my dog is farting so now I have to go!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 AM   #90
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
my dog is farting so now I have to go!
LOL!!!!
Well, that explains your avatar...
LOL!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:54 AM   #91
Polyshrink Goddess

Jamie,
That's WONDERFUL news!!! This is the best news I've heard in a really long time! I'm so happy for you and your little man!

Let us know how his dr's visits go. I pray good news will come from them as well.
Congradulations!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #92
Pearl-ExPert

Well, the news isn't as good as we had hoped for but here it is. The doctor gave Miles just a teeny amount of milk to start with. And that's as far as we got. Miles started scratching his tongue and soon broke out in ripe hives around his lips. Then the hives continued to come and go for the next hour, seeming to go down his body from his lips to his feet.

The doctor gave him 1/2 teaspoon of zertec at the first sign of hives. Then he got a second 1/2 teaspoon dose when we saw the hives kept coming. He has a small rash on his leg that we need to put steroid on. And then we were prescribed a liquid steroid for if the hives reoccur in the next 48 hours. We will be watching him closely.

The good news is Miles experienced no breathing problems like he did a year ago and no runny nose or vomiting or anything like that. While we are a little disappointed after today, we are still thankful for the improvements. Here is our plan now:

MILK: We will continue strict avoidance and will retest in another year.
PEANUT: Although he did great on blood and skin tests, we are still to avoid for another year. Not going to do a live challenge.
EGG: Dr. recommends a live challenge in the office, not at home, after seeing Miles's reaction to the live milk challenge. Not sure when we'll do this test. Maybe after things settle with the new baby.
SOY: Dr. still confident we can try this at home. We will soon.

Thank you for your prayers and continued support. We are very thankful for the glimmer of hope that God has given us.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #93
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
Well, the news isn't as good as we had hoped for but here it is. The doctor gave Miles just a teeny amount of milk to start with. And that's as far as we got. Miles started scratching his tongue and soon broke out in ripe hives around his lips. Then the hives continued to come and go for the next hour, seeming to go down his body from his lips to his feet.

The doctor gave him 1/2 teaspoon of zertec at the first sign of hives. Then he got a second 1/2 teaspoon dose when we saw the hives kept coming. He has a small rash on his leg that we need to put steroid on. And then we were prescribed a liquid steroid for if the hives reoccur in the next 48 hours. We will be watching him closely.

The good news is Miles experienced no breathing problems like he did a year ago and no runny nose or vomiting or anything like that. While we are a little disappointed after today, we are still thankful for the improvements. Here is our plan now:

MILK: We will continue strict avoidance and will retest in another year.
PEANUT: Although he did great on blood and skin tests, we are still to avoid for another year. Not going to do a live challenge.
EGG: Dr. recommends a live challenge in the office, not at home, after seeing Miles's reaction to the live milk challenge. Not sure when we'll do this test. Maybe after things settle with the new baby.
SOY: Dr. still confident we can try this at home. We will soon.

Thank you for your prayers and continued support. We are very thankful for the glimmer of hope that God has given us.
I'm really very sorry that he didn't pass the challenge. How upseting it must have been for you to see your baby boy break out into hives. *cringe*

So does it sounds like there is still hope that one day he will out grow his milk allergy? Maybe not this year, but next? What's the doctor saying? How old is your DS? About 2ish? It's my understanding (and I'm no doctor) the immune system matures around 6y or so. How great would it be if your DS could outgrow them all!?! Keep avoiding the allergens I bet that'll really increase his odds. Best wishes to you and your DS! I believe your silver lining in sight! And good luck with those other challenges! Keep us posted!

Have a safe and fun 4th!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #94
Pearl-ExPert

well, we left a little bit confused about what all this meant. we tried to ask questions and the doctor was pretty good about answering. but it was kind of a blur when your child has ripe hives all over.

dr. did say we'd test in a year and hopefully nothing will get worse. but then she said the chances of that were slim.

dr. said going from "20 to 3" on the milk blood test was still a great improvement.

dr. said if DS was going to have respiratory problem, it would have happened even with the small dose and getting the zertec right away. i just wondered if it had been more milk, if he WOULD have had respiratory problems?

dr. said she kind of wonders about the other foods now that she saw the milk reaction. that was a little disappointing. but she still says to do soy at home since it was so negative. but egg, she wants to do in office.

those are the only things i can remember right now. i should call with questions later, when all the "shock" wears off.

oh, and DS is 22 months old. thanks for your interest in our story. i hope to read some successes from others of you as time goes on. i'll be checking for them often, for sure!
Old 07-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #95
Polyshrink Goddess

I know you are majorly bumbed right now. I am so very sorry... Here's a great big hug going your way...
{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Hang in there.
Your in my thoughts and prayers,
Old 07-06-2007, 10:04 PM   #96
Forum Fanatic

Oh Jamie....I am so sorry to see this. I wonder why they wouldn't do a peanut challenge sooner than a year?

Anyway....I do wish it had gone differently for you.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #97
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you guys for all your kind thoughtful words. To be honest, I haven't even wanted to get on here and talk about it. DH and I got a little depressed after the reality set in. But now things are getting back to "business as usual" with the eating habits and such and life goes on. We never really had high expectations but when the allergist was so amazed with the blood and skin test results and wanted to do a live test, we kinda got our hopes up.

The doctor's office called the day after his challenge to check on Miles and we thought that was nice. I got a chance to ask some questions. Maybe this info will be helpful to you in your own situations.

His reaction was considered mild anaphalaxis with the ripe hives and welts.

If he had had more than the menial teaspoon of milk, he could have suffered breathing problems too.

If he ingests milk anytime soon, the reaction will probably be worse since his body is "worked up" right now over the milk exposure.

Between the ages of 3-4 is when the immune system matures the most so many kids outgrow milk around that age.

We won't do a peanut challenge for another year even though he tested negative on skin and blood because peanut is more likely to be a lifelong allergy. He's never been exposed so the allergist wants to wait one more year for his immune system to mature more.

If we see the same kind of ripe hives appear from an apparent milk exposure, we start with benedryl. If no other symptoms occur, we can stop with the benedryl and not administer the epipen. I'm still a little confused on this whole thing...we've never had accidental exposure and have nightmares about what I'd do if we did.

Although the live test didn't go well, his blood and skin tests are still going in a positive direction.

Anyways, baby #2 arrives in a week so we definitely have our minds on things other than the allergy, which is a good thing. Otherwise, I think I'd be SUPER depressed.

Thanks again for listening and helping me through this recent journey. As we get back to the status quo, I will wait to hear how all of your tests and experiences are going. I will let you know about our egg challenge after we get it done. We're in no hurry after the milk experience, though.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 PM   #98
Polyshrink Goddess

Jamie, I am so very sorry...so completely and utterly sorry...I wish I had some words of wisdom or insightful comments; anything to help you through this. It's been 2yrs this February since we learned of DS#1's PA. I'm still learning and still trying to understand. When he was first diagnosed I didn't sleep for weeks, cried all the time (just never around him), and did only the things I had to. My heart aches for youÖYou are in my thoughts and prayers.

On a more exciting note...Best wishes to you and your new addition that will make his grand appearance in just one week! (OMG!!) What a blessing he will surely be. Iíll be thinking of you!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #99
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I have a 4y who has a peanut allergy. He was diangosted with it when he was about 2yo. We have no other food allergy in our family. He has not had another reaction since his first and we've kept him ezama free for over a year. We are obnouxious about what he can or can't eat. He is GREAT about it all. We'll be walking through the grocery store and he'll ask "Mama, is that safe for me?" It breaks my heart but also gives me comfort to know he gets how serious this is.

With that said, his tollerence numbers keep climbing (not good). Anyone know how to either keep the numbers from climbing or how we can get them to drop? Any suggestions? Any web sites that could help? Anything you got is welcomed!!
Well, still trying to figure out what the HECK Rasp Numbers are and what they MEAN!! I think I'm more confuse then when I first started investigating. I did however find a couple of useful links that I thought I'd share with everyone here...

http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanu...ML/000063.html
http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanu...ML/000085.html
http://www.allergy.org.nz/allergies/...sisTesting.php
http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanu...ML/008413.html
Levels of Specific IgE kU/L - class - Description
<0.05 - 0 - Negative
0.05-0.07 0/I - Equivocal
0.08-0.15 I
0.16-0.5 II
0.51-2.5 III
2.51-12.5 IV
12.51-62.5 V
62.51->100 VI
Info found here: http://www.hcdiagnostics.com/pdf/clapieng.pdf (see pg 4)

PeanutAllergy.com's forum is truely a great place to get a better feel for this allergy (as well as others), gain some insight, and to get some questions answered.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #100
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Oh Jamie....I am so sorry to see this. I wonder why they wouldn't do a peanut challenge sooner than a year?
Our allergist said that you can "safely" give a normal child peanuts/peanut butter and tree nuts at around 3yrs. We can also introduce shellfish "safely" around 5-6yrs. Our regular pediatrician says to start introducing everything at 1yr. I'm going by the allergist's recommendations for DS#2 just to be safe. Wish I could've had this info with DS#1; allergist says it would not have mattered but I wonder...
Old 07-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #101
Crimping Master

Jamie~

{{{{HUGS}}}} I just got the remind to schedule DD's yearly check up at the allergy clinic. Unfortunately for us her food allergies are the least of her problems BUT none of her numbers were over 20 so she's not as bad as your little sweetie.

It's hard but it will become part of the routine. Take a minute for yourself (a little pampering or something) before your next baby arrives ( I see that it won't be a surprise when he's going to arrive so at least that is some stress (or anxiety or whatever) that you get to avoid

If your new baby is a spitty baby (mine was because I nursed and we didn't know she had food allergies) check out my website in my siggy. I give SCS ladies a 20% discount.

Hopefully he won't be a spitter!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #102
Forum Fanatic

Jamie....I am wondering how you are doing? Please let us know when you have a minute how "baby boy" is and how mommy is???

I thought I would update you guys on what has been going on here....I had some IgG testing done on DS because he is always so itchy and I wanted to see if we could pin point what was giving him trouble. He had a week long fever and we noticed that he wasn't itchy at all during that time...so I knew that I had to try and figure it out. Well....the test came back that he is VERY sensative to wheat/all gluten, ALL dairy including goat milk, eggs, soy, peanut, almond, blueberries, oats, garlic, seseame, and a few others that I can't think of now.

So we are avoiding all wheat/gluten, dairy, garlic and soy....we were already doing egg and peanut. It's been a challenge....and we are only a week and half into it....but he is not itchy at all. His skin looks so much healthier and his little "allergic shiners" are starting to fade away...you know those dark shadows (anyone remember that show?) under the eyes.

So that's where I have been. I am really only worried about his calcium intake during this period....so any tips on getting calcium would be appreciated.

Hope you are all doing well...and staying safe!

I think we are going to try and go to The Outback Steakhouse soon. They have a Gluten free menu and seem to be pretty knowledgeable about allergies. I spoke with the manager and he rattled off two food items that they have that are made in a facility that also processes peanuts....so I am looking forward to that....although i may need to be sedated to go! LOL

I made terrible gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, peanut free brownies tonight! But i made great bread yesterday...so that's good! Until now I have avoided shopping at Whole Foods...but now I have to.

That's all....stay safe!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:32 AM   #103
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
So we are avoiding all wheat/gluten, dairy, garlic and soy....we were already doing egg and peanut. It's been a challenge....and we are only a week and half into it....but he is not itchy at all. His skin looks so much healthier and his little "allergic shiners" are starting to fade away...you know those dark shadows (anyone remember that show?) under the eyes.

So that's where I have been. I am really only worried about his calcium intake during this period....so any tips on getting calcium would be appreciated.

I think we are going to try and go to The Outback Steakhouse soon. They have a Gluten free menu and seem to be pretty knowledgeable about allergies. I spoke with the manager and he rattled off two food items that they have that are made in a facility that also processes peanuts....so I am looking forward to that....although i may need to be sedated to go! LOL

I made terrible gluten free, dairy free, soy free, egg free, peanut free brownies tonight! But i made great bread yesterday...so that's good! Until now I have avoided shopping at Whole Foods...but now I have to.

That's all....stay safe!
Oh Jamie...what you must be going through. Here's a great big hug coming your way...
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

One of mom's from DS1's T-Ball suggested I go to Food Allergy Kitchen for recipe suggestions and help. I did a little more web searching and found a couple sites:
food-allergy.org
Allergy Haven
CALCIUM by Reed Mangels, Ph.D., R.D. from NoMilk.com - The No Milk Page
SoyStache

I put spinach on DS1's sandwiches instead of regular lettuce. You can make a wrap for your DS' son's sandwiches using dark leafy lettuce. You may have to go Vegan out of necessity. One thing for sure, you'll have a VERY healthy little boy who is going to be much happier. Milk is not the only or the best source of calcuim. It just happens to be more convenient. With the prices rising people will have to find other means of calcuim just as you are. One more thing, be sure to avoid carbonated beverages (ie. all sodas) when eating a meal. The carbonation robs the digesting food of calcium we need. Soda should be an in-between treat.

I've got some info regarding DS1 and his preschool that I'll have to tell you about later. Right now I'm running late for an appointment to a Library function for DS1. He's gettin rather antsy!

Hang in there Jamie. We're here for you!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #104
Polyshrink Goddess

In the word of Homer Simpson...
DOUGH!!!!!!!

[sigh]I wrote the above message too quick...I meant it to be for Sarah.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #105
Forum Fanatic

Kimberly....thank you! I will check out those websites asap! So...what's going on with preschool.....

my son had a little slip up at school last week....he ATE something...peas from the garden.....he realized when he told me that he had made a big mistake......so on Sat and Sun I had people casually offer him food and he handled it perfectly...."no thank you - I have a food allergy"....made me proud of my boy....and at the zoo his friend got a popsicle and I wouldn't let him have one...instead I gave him a peach and promised him a push up at home (Philly Swirl - peanut/treenut, dairy, soy and gluten free) and he handled it very well. It was probalby the first time that I didn't have a really close substitute to offer him. He has to get used it....but I do try to make it easier.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #106
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I thought I would update you guys on what has been going on here....I had some IgG testing done on DS because he is always so itchy and I wanted to see if we could pin point what was giving him trouble. He had a week long fever and we noticed that he wasn't itchy at all during that time...so I knew that I had to try and figure it out. Well....the test came back that he is VERY sensative to wheat/all gluten, ALL dairy including goat milk, eggs, soy, peanut, almond, blueberries, oats, garlic, seseame, and a few others that I can't think of now.

Sarah,

((((((((HUGS)))))))) to you and your little one!!! I am glad to hear he is feeling and looking better, but I know how overwhelming these dietary restrictions are. I was diagnosed Celiac 6mo ago and my ds was diagnosed with an anaphylactic tree nut allergy last month.

I have since gotten an education that I never signed up for....and I still have so much to learn! I was never a cook/baker, but I now actually open up the cookbooks and amaze myself and my family with what I can make! There are definitely no last-minute take-out dinners for us anymore! Gluten-free cooking is interesting, and although I don't share all of your ds allergies, we keep tree-nut ingredients out of our meals as well for ds safety. Unfortunately, some of my favorite GF mixes and treats contain almonds, but I'm finding more from-scratch recipes.

Check out this blog: www.glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

Karina was the one positive force I discovered after my diagnosis. She has recently found out she has multiple allergies in addition to her Celiac, so her recipes are becoming even more specialized. Everything I've tried so far has been delicious.

BTW, the Outback is the one place my dh and I dare eat out at. So far I have not gotten sick once from eating there (big deal when eating gluten-free). It is so nice to be able to have a meal out once in a while and not be made to feel like a strange person. The GF menu is kept at the hostess station and everyone of my servers understood what it was all about.

I wish your ds continued healing and safety and I hope you can have the same...

-Chantae
Old 07-25-2007, 09:38 PM   #107
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Kimberly....thank you! I will check out those websites asap! So...what's going on with preschool.....

my son had a little slip up at school last week....he ATE something...peas from the garden.....he realized when he told me that he had made a big mistake......so on Sat and Sun I had people casually offer him food and he handled it perfectly...."no thank you - I have a food allergy"....made me proud of my boy....
You have one amazing boy! How old is he again? I can't get my DS1 (4yrs) to not accept food from others. He RARELY leaves my side (besides preschool and the birth of DS2) since he was diagnosed. I just can't trust him yet... I love what you taught your DS! I'm definately going to have to remember: "No thank you. I have a food allergy." I've tried to teach my DS to ask: "Is that safe for me?" with no success. [sigh] I will definately have to get him a medical alert braclet when he goes to kindergarden. Definately...

Quote:
and at the zoo his friend got a popsicle and I wouldn't let him have one...instead I gave him a peach and promised him a push up at home (Philly Swirl - peanut/treenut, dairy, soy and gluten free) and he handled it very well. It was probalby the first time that I didn't have a really close substitute to offer him. He has to get used it....but I do try to make it easier.
I do the same thing. I try to keep "treats" with me so when situations come up I'm prepared to let him indulge as well. Even baked peanut-free brownies once for a trip to visit with family, just in case. There has been several times that I didn't have something and promised he could have [insert treat] at home later. He is always great about it.

These kids with food allergies seem to adapt well. They have to, not much choice. I think we as adults have a harder time. We know all the complexities and dangers and risks. With kids it's all black and white...safe or not safe... When I see both of my boys out playing in the sprinkler you would never tell one of them has a PA. They are just kids being kids...playing and exploring their world...just as it should be...

I'll be thinking of you and your DS, Sarah. Hang in there.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #108
Rubber Obsessor

This is kind of just a random piece of knowledge...

I am severely allergic to poison ivy, and I know youíre thinking what does this have to do with my son? The peanut plant is in the same family as the poison ivy plant. So if by chance I do get poison ivy, then I donít go anywhere near peanuts. I donít want to give you another thing to worry about, and by no means am I a doctor, but could there be poison ivy around your house/yard? Again, I donít really know much about peanut allergies, but I thought Iíd mention this. Sorry if it was a repeat.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #109
Pearl-ExPert

i wish i had time to read through the latest posts and catch up. but only have a few moments. wanted to update that we are home with precious baby #2, graham. so far, he is a great baby who doesn't fuss much at all and tolerates his big brother's constant hovering over him. we had to supplement with formula in the hospital and all the nurses seemed to have never seen hypoallergenic formula. we got two cans from our first son's allergist so not to expose baby #2 yet, considering brother is highly allergic to milk. the nurses took it very seriously although it's not the baby, necessarily, who has the allergy.

baby was 7lb 5oz, 19.5 inches long. we are adjusting well although i may have a slight breakdown when DH goes back to work on tuesday. i hope you are all doing well and look forward to getting back to our thread more later.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #110
Forum Fanatic

Oh great news! Congratulations! I love that name!
Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM   #111
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivi's Mommy View Post
Jamie~

{{{{HUGS}}}} I just got the remind to schedule DD's yearly check up at the allergy clinic. Unfortunately for us her food allergies are the least of her problems BUT none of her numbers were over 20 so she's not as bad as your little sweetie.

It's hard but it will become part of the routine. Take a minute for yourself (a little pampering or something) before your next baby arrives ( I see that it won't be a surprise when he's going to arrive so at least that is some stress (or anxiety or whatever) that you get to avoid

If your new baby is a spitty baby (mine was because I nursed and we didn't know she had food allergies) check out my website in my siggy. I give SCS ladies a 20% discount.

Hopefully he won't be a spitter!
baby is not a big spitter, at least not yet. he was when we were supplementing due to 10% weight loss. but now with nursing, things are a lot better. waiting for that milk to come in sure is stressful. it took 6 days this time, probably due to scheduled c-section and my hormones weren't triggered yet. anyways, your spit rags are so cute!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:00 PM   #112
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Jamie....I am wondering how you are doing? Please let us know when you have a minute how "baby boy" is and how mommy is???

That's all....stay safe!
aw, i am so sorry about your test results. but isn't it nice to see our children feel better once we know the culprit(s)? for calcium, we drink a lot of calcium fortified orange juice. as for the shiners, i know what you mean. DS still has dark circles although we seem to have the allergies under control. good luck with your new cooking strategies. you will get in the groove after a little time. also, i made some nasty allergy-free brownies once too. they were horrible! hee, hee.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #113
Polyshrink Goddess

Default DS1's Preschool

Quote:
So...what's going on with preschool.....
Sorry itís taken so long to get back. We've been sick all summer. And, more recently, I've been spending a lot of time researching a lot of food products--seeing if they are safe or not for DS1. I spent 3 hours two different grocery store one evening after the boys went to bed to create a list. I went to 2 different grocery stores. The preschool DS1 is going to requested a list of products that were suitable/safe for him to eat at snack time.

This all came about when I sent them the following e-mail to DS1ís teacher, school nurse, and the facilitator. It sent out red flags to the school nurse and the facilitator (I found this statement here):
Five Things Teachers Need to Know <-(I excluded this part)
1. My child's peanut allergy is not a matter of personal preference or minor discomfort. Even a miniscule amount of peanuts or peanut butter, too small to see or smell, can kill my child. Please take his peanut allergy seriously, and help him and his classmates to do so, too.

2. If there is going to be a birthday party or other snack time in the classroom, please let me know in advance so that I can be sure to send in something that my child can eat.

3. It's okay to let my child's classmates know about his condition as long as it is done in a positive and respectful way; I'd be happy to help prepare a program.

4. My child has a significant health condition, but he is still a child with ordinary interests and hopes and dreams. Please help us keep his life as normal as possible.

5. Please join me in keeping the lines of communication open between our home and the school. It is important to my child's health and safety to have all of the adults in his life working together.

They are debating whether or not to go peanut free for the entire facility for him.

I'm not going to push for them to go completely peanut free for my son's sake (not that I'm going to tell them that), but I do want them to completely omit peanuts and peanut products from his room and the class that he goes to recess with. They are very willing to comply with these wishes. The list I compiled is being reviewed by the school nurse and together we've made some adjustments.

I've been able to keep a great relationship with the school nurse and the facilitator during this whole process. I hoping to keep that since I may need their help (especially the nurse) in a couple of months when I approach the nurse at the elementary school heíll be attending next year. I found out a few weeks back that the DS1ís elementary school offers PB&Jís everyday on the school menu. Iím hoping I can get them to omit them at the very least. Weíll seeÖ

But for now my comfort level at his preschool has gone from "very uncomfortable" to "pretty comfortable" (there will always be that human error factor no matter how hard I try to prevent it).

Anyway, Iím sharing all this because I wanted you to know that the troubles you had at your sonís preschool should have never happened. His preschool should be very supportive and want to provide a nurturing as well as safe environment. I hope that is the case now. I hope things have improved for you.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #114
Pearl-ExPert

I like your list, Kimberly. I'm so glad you are finding ways to work with the school and that you can feel more comfortable. That is great.

Tonight I made chocolate cookies for Miles. I used the chocolate chip recipe using soy fleishman's unsalted butter and applesauce replacing the eggs. Instead of using chocolate chips, I added 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder. They turned out well and he really likes them. We are taking him to the State Fair tomorrow and I am packing them as a treat since he can't have any of the fair food.

DH and I want to schedule the live egg challenge soon. We think we are about recovered from the whole milk challenge enough to do it.

Gotta get back to our little guy. He will be a month old tomorrow. I'm still sleep deprived but I hope to catch up soon. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #115
down and digi

Quote:
Our allergist said that you can "safely" give a normal child peanuts/peanut butter and tree nuts at around 3yrs. We can also introduce shellfish "safely" around 5-6yrs. Our regular pediatrician says to start introducing everything at 1yr. I'm going by the allergist's recommendations for DS#2 just to be safe. Wish I could've had this info with DS#1; allergist says it would not have mattered but I wonder...
We were told to wait until 3 yo for all highly allergenic foods for our kids because of my history of food allergies. I was told that the same recommendation should be given for any sibling of a child with a severe food allergy.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #116
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
We were told to wait until 3 yo for all highly allergenic foods for our kids because of my history of food allergies. I was told that the same recommendation should be given for any sibling of a child with a severe food allergy.
Thanks! Actually, I was really careful what I consumed while pregnant and nursing DS2. DS1's allergist told me not to eat peanuts or peanut products during the 3rd trimester and avoid them while DS2 nursed. Haven't had a peanut product since DS1's reaction so that was an easy request.

Anyhoo... I and made darn sure I was moderate with all other allergans during that time, too. So far so good but still far to early to tell on some things; he's only 19Ĺm (geez, the time has FLOWN by!!).

When we go for our next visit to the allergist (May 2008 ) we are going to have DS2 tested for food allergies b/c he'll be starting pre-school next fall (they call it Minds In Motion here) and we don't want his first reaction to be outside the home or away from us.

Here's an FYI...How Many Diagnosed at 18 Months of Age Mark or Thereabouts?

I'm finding myself getting lost at Peanut Allergy.com these days. I can't remember the last time I (dare I say it) made a card. I've been using up my reserve stock. Don't know what I'll do when that gone!

Stay safe and have a great weekend everyone!
Old 08-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #117
Polyshrink Goddess

Red face Sorry I didn't respond sooner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehenstamper View Post
Food allergies are SO scary. When I was weaning my DS, I went through a 6 week period where I had 4 anaphylaxic episodes--one had me in complete shock with no blood pressure in an ambulance as a priority trauma. I was terrified and completely unable to breathe on my own. The other episodes were just hives, an upset tummy, itchy feet and palms. The worst part of the whole ordeal: we never discovered what caused my reactions...there was never a common denominator foodwise. I ended up treating my seasonal alleriges pretty heavily b/c they though maybe my seasonal allergies were so bad that I was basically on over load and the least little thing were put my system into a reaction. That was in 2000 and I haven't had one since.

Fast forward about 5 years. My DD ate some of my shrimp scampi when we went out to lunch with family. She ended up with similiar symtoms as I had had with previous food allergies (or it might of been too much butter!--upset tummy, sweating, itchy hands and feet) The ped. gave us an epi pen to use if it occured again, and a year passed. About 2 months ago, we went to Applebees for dinner. I ordered fried shrimp and my MIL had chicken tenders. My DD ate one of my MIL's pieces of chicken. I'm assuming the chicken and shrimp were either cooked in the same basket or oil b/c after dinner, she had a reaction like with the shrimp. Needless to say, we're going to an allergist to see what we're dealing with now.
Hi Bluehenstamper! I want to start out by saying HOLY C$@&#!!! What a scary feeling for you! To not be able to take a breath...[shiver]. I'm so glad things are under control for you now.

How's your daughter? Have you been to the allergist to see what she's allergic to? I hope she (and you) have not had any more reactions.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #118
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
I like your list, Kimberly. I'm so glad you are finding ways to work with the school and that you can feel more comfortable. That is great.
Thanks...but I'm scared that I have a false sense of comfort. I ask him everyday what his snack was at school. Not easy to get an accurate answer when the kid has a Language Comprehension issue; has problem answering "Who, What, Where, When, and How" questions...but I digress. Today he said "Spiderman and Superman". I asked if they were crackers or gummy and he replied "Crackers". They had a substitute this morning. I'm a bit nervous they let him eat something we didn't approve. I'm going Monday as a volunteer and to see what goes during the time he's there. I'm sure it'll be enlightening.

Quote:
Tonight I made chocolate cookies for Miles. I used the chocolate chip recipe using soy fleishman's unsalted butter and applesauce replacing the eggs. Instead of using chocolate chips, I added 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder. They turned out well and he really likes them. We are taking him to the State Fair tomorrow and I am packing them as a treat since he can't have any of the fair food.
Long before FA, I've always wanted to make cookies with applesause for health benifits (less choletrol). Now I'll just have to try!! Ooooo, and the cocoa poweder. Your so creative! Must try that next time, too!

How was the state fair?

Quote:
DH and I want to schedule the live egg challenge soon. We think we are about recovered from the whole milk challenge enough to do it.

Gotta get back to our little guy. He will be a month old tomorrow. I'm still sleep deprived but I hope to catch up soon. Hope everyone is doing well.
My thoughts and prayers will be with you! Best wishes to you and DS1 on his egg challenge.

And how's that beautiful new baby boy of yours?!? Are you finding time flying by faster these days? DS2 is 19Ĺm and I'm not sure where the time went... Enjoy every precious moment!! Hang in there...sleep is just around the corner!!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:27 PM   #119
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Hey Sarah, wondering how things are going for you these days. You've got a whole mess of stuff you have to avoid now and I'm wondering how things are? When you get a minute, let us know how everyone is adjusting. I've been thinking of you...
Old 08-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #120
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for checking in Kimberly. You are always so sweet trying to respond back to everyone. Don't feel as though you always have to, at least not with me. I know it's hard to keep up. State Fair was fun. I was all sad that Miles wouldn't get to experience the food but hello, who needs to eat fair food anyways, right? And I forgot, at his age, the excitement is the attractions, not the food like it is for adults. He loved riding the giant slide, the train, a pony, and just getting a basketball painted on his hand. What a thrill to see how the little things mean so much...and how easy they are to please. Baby is doing good. Time DOES fly faster with the second. I remember time creeping by with the first, at least during the sleepless early days.

Gotta go feed and get some zzzz's.