Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 06:37 PM   #41
down and digi

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2stampers View Post
Never do this! If you are allergic, you cannot acclimate your body to an allergen (works with non-food). You will simply increase the allergy. YOu may not notice it if you are only giving little bits, but you are only making it worse, and more severe.

Darn edit button.

Also, to the poster who doesn't understand why her DS can have food allergies when nobody else does, here's your answer:

Food allergies are not hereditary, but the tendency toward allergies is. So, if a parent is asthmatic, it can manifest with hayfever, food allergies, bee allergy, asthma, excema, etc. If there is any history of allergies at all, then there is your answer.

We were also told that if a child develops asthma before the age of 2 1/2 and the asthma is a `cough' asthma, the child will probably outgrow the asthma by 5 and it will develop into another allergy form (hayfever, food allergy,etc). Just like he predicted, it did happen with our DD.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #42
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chantae View Post
Here's our update after ds MD appointment today. He was tested for a variety of nuts and was positive for all of the tree variety. The cashews (which sent him to the ER Friday) had a huge welt with surrounding redness. All of the others were less severe, but still positive. Peanuts were negative, which is fortunate for him since PBJ sandwiches are all he ever wants for lunch. The MD had him "practice" using the epi injector and recommended that our ds have it with him "at all times".

It is a really strange feeling to know my child has such a life-threatening reaction to something that could be so easily ingested. I will now be teaching him to read ingredient lists along with me. I'll be on the lookout for the tree nuts along with my own excluded gluten.
My heart goes out to you, Chantae. I know where your coming from. We went to a b-day party today. My son is still to young to simply drop off and come back later. He'd eat any goodie put before him w/o questioning if it were safe. I bake mini bundt cakes and freeze them for just these occasions.

Quote:
BTW, what do all of you do about products which are "made in a facility that also processes tree nuts". Our MD wouldn't for the record make a recommendation. He simply explained that the only things we could be positively sure didn't have the allergins in them would be whole foods I prepare at home. Oh joy, more cooking for me!!! ha, ha.
In my house we do not allow our peanut allergic son eat ANYTHING that contains peanuts or might contain peanuts or manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts. I want to help increase his odds of outgrowing this (has maybe a 5% but it's something) and keeping his blood level numbers down. My DS and I figure that if we were to allow him to ingest any of the above mentioned it'd be like playing Russion Rullet peanut style. Just not worth it. We avoid it like a poison. That's just us...

Quote:
I keep saying the past year has been full of all kinds of challenges, but the "year" is over and the challenges just keep coming!!! That's life for ya!
*sip, sip* Lemonade anyone? Before I found out about my DS allergy I was having personal minor medical issues. But I kept thanking God that it was me and not my son. With each minor medical issues that kept coming up I kept thanking God. Then we had to rush DS to the ER for reaction (just hives, no breathing problems--thank God). I then realized God was preparing me for my DS's life altering allergy. It was 2 weeks after that before I got any real sleep. I cried most of the time back then, too (never in front of him). I felt responsible...still do. But I still thank God. I thank God that if he were to have a medical issue it's more controllable than other life threatening illness. But I'm still sick about it. Pour me another glass of lemonade! ;P

I wish you all the luck in the world to help you get through this. The beginning is the hardest part; very taxing and stressful. We are here for you. I can't image having to deal with gluten and tree nuts. My heart goes out to you...

Take care,
Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #43
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
Have you ever had to use an epi-pen? We stopped carrying ours b/c our sons reactions have not been respiratory. I think it would be a really scary thing.
I can't beleive that I lost this thread.

I am just catching up. My son is 3.5 and was diagnosed with peanut allergy in january and has mild excema triggered by egg.

Montana - your post really scares me. No reaction predicts the next one. You really really should have two epi's handy unless your son passes a food challenge done by an allergist.

Read this...

http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanu...ML/000426.html
Old 06-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #44
Forum Fanatic

Chantae - I have read that food processed in a facility has a 12.5% chance of being crosscontaminated. That was from a study done on peanuts. By Duke i think. Also shared equipment/lines is an 18.5% chance. Both are not OK with me.

I have a pretty tight comfort zone. DS eats nothing unless I make it or give it to him. I call all manufacterers to find out about cross contaminated lines and facilities.

I would NEVER let him ice cream in shop, bakery goods, chinese food, mexican food, Indian food, or food prepared in a non nut free house.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #45
Forum Fanatic

FYI - DS just put on his superman cape to go fight bad guys! LOL

I have an ice cream maker, bread machine and I think I have gone up a size since he was diagnosed! LOL

this kid aint missing nothing

we bring his food everywhere
Old 06-14-2007, 07:01 PM   #46
Forum Fanatic

also just wanted to add that I have been told by our doctor ( I am not a doctor and am not giving you advice) that if a reaction has ANY TWO body systems....ie hives and vomiting - you give the epi.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #47
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufeestamper View Post
i just wanted to update on our first annual blood test for my 21 month old. we unintentionally had the blood test on his 1 year anniversary of his anaphalactic reaction to milk. it was very surreal driving the same route to the hospital for testing that i took that day one year ago to the er. this time i stopped at the stop signs.

we just got the results and he tested negative to peanut, egg, and soy; all of which were high on his blood tests one year ago. the milk improved from a class 4 to a class 3 (i guess the classes go up to 6). they still consider class 3 high and possibly anaphalactic but we are happy about the improvement. and of course, we are thrilled about the other tests coming back negative!!!

in two weeks, we go for the skin tests on peanut, egg, and soy to see if he'll have topical reactions.

thanks for listening and best wishes to all of you dealing with this too.

WOW that's awesome news! I hope the next steps go well for you.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #48
Mad Swapper

I just found this thread. I have a 2 year old little girl that has tree nut and peanut allergies as well as eczema (spelling?). We knew she was allergic to something when she was an infant because there was a lot of blood in her stools. I breast fed her for 15 months and only ate chicken, rice, salads (no dressings). I eliminated everything with soy (soy protein, soy bean oil, veg. oil, soy lithicin, etc.), all dairy products and nut products. Basically, I ate like I mentioned above and lots of fruits/vegetables.

She accidentally got some peanut butter (only a whiff) and her face started swelling, she started gagging, and her eyes swelled shut. I wasn't sure what was going on but had an idea. I grabbed the bottle of benedryl and without measuring it started pouring it down her. I stood there shaking to death once I realized what had happened. We no longer have any peanut/treenut products in our house.

We finally had her tested and she was extremely allergic to peanuts and treenuts. We left the doctor's office with 8 Epi-pens. When they did the stick test, the peanut/treenut result was positive and it left a red/white raised surface the size of a door knob. It had white veins running in every direction. It was horrible.

I may seem over protective to strangers, but I really don't care what strangers think when it comes to the safety of my child. When we go to restaurants, we call ahead and ask questions. We went to a famous seafood restaurant a couple of weeks ago. They said that they used vegetable oil, but she had an allergic reaction. The first symptom was she started scrapping her tongue with her teeth while crying. From what I understand, some children get a really funky taste in their mouths. Never in a million years would I have thought our child would have such an allergy. And...never in a million years would I have thought peanuts/treenuts should be elimnated in restaurants. Now I do!!! They should at least put signs on the doors.

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Old 06-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #49
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Darn edit button.

Also, to the poster who doesn't understand why her DS can have food allergies when nobody else does, here's your answer:

Food allergies are not hereditary, but the tendency toward allergies is. So, if a parent is asthmatic, it can manifest with hayfever, food allergies, bee allergy, asthma, excema, etc. If there is any history of allergies at all, then there is your answer.

We were also told that if a child develops asthma before the age of 2 1/2 and the asthma is a `cough' asthma, the child will probably outgrow the asthma by 5 and it will develop into another allergy form (hayfever, food allergy,etc). Just like he predicted, it did happen with our DD.
Thank you very much for this info! It explains a lot. Good to know that the medical profession is finally getting some answers to all this craziness! I've had asthma as a kid but have since out-grown it. In fact all my allergies are all but gone. Out-grew them all. I used to get sick every season but not anymore. I don't even take antihistamines. As a child I was the only person in my immediate family with allergies.

My DS was admitted into the hospital at the age of 13m for pneumonia. They detected him wheezing for the 1st time back then. The last time he had an attack (which is the only one I can remember him having come to think of it) he coughed a lot...didn't really hear the wheezing. He just turned 4. He is prone to bronchitis and pneumonia so the pediatrician has put him on an inhalant steroid that has improved his health ten fold!! WOO HOO!!

Also, I've heard that if a person has asthma they are less likely to out-grow a peanut allergy. Have you heard this, too?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #50
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
I may seem over protective to strangers, but I really don't care what strangers think when it comes to the safety of my child.
Amen sister!! Those people just don't get it and probably never will.

Quote:
When we go to restaurants, we call ahead and ask questions. We went to a famous seafood restaurant a couple of weeks ago. They said that they used vegetable oil, but she had an allergic reaction. The first symptom was she started scrapping her tongue with her teeth while crying. From what I understand, some children get a really funky taste in their mouths. Never in a million years would I have thought our child would have such an allergy. And...never in a million years would I have thought peanuts/treenuts should be elimnated in restaurants. Now I do!!! They should at least put signs on the doors.
Our allergist told us that when a food allergen gets on the tongue they usually experience a tingling sensation that is very uncomfortable; which explains why she cried and scrapped her tonge...poor baby girl...

Wouldn't it be nice if places did that? Honestly, I would not be surprised if restaurants started posting just such signs. One of my local grocery chains completely eliminated peanuts and peanut products from their facility due to the severity of the allergy.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:41 PM   #51
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear View Post
also just wanted to add that I have been told by our doctor ( I am not a doctor and am not giving you advice) that if a reaction has ANY TWO body systems....ie hives and vomiting - you give the epi.
That's very interesting. Our allergist said that she recently changed her views for all her peanut allergic patients. She wants us to give the EpiPen for ANY reaction; bypassing the Benedryl if it's only hives. My guess is some studies have been conducted releasing vital info on this matter for these doctorsís to rethink their views. Hmm...
Old 06-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #52
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtLvr View Post
*sip, sip* Lemonade anyone? Before I found out about my DS allergy I was having personal minor medical issues. But I kept thanking God that it was me and not my son. With each minor medical issues that kept coming up I kept thanking God. Then we had to rush DS to the ER for reaction (just hives, no breathing problems--thank God). I then realized God was preparing me for my DS's life altering allergy. It was 2 weeks after that before I got any real sleep. I cried most of the time back then, too (never in front of him). I felt responsible...still do. But I still thank God. I thank God that if he were to have a medical issue it's more controllable than other life threatening illness. But I'm still sick about it. Pour me another glass of lemonade! ;P

I wish you all the luck in the world to help you get through this. The beginning is the hardest part; very taxing and stressful. We are here for you. I can't image having to deal with gluten and tree nuts. My heart goes out to you...

Take care,
What a coincidence...I thought the exact same thing when I was diagnosed with Celiac "better me than my children..." I think it has definitely been a good prep for helping my son, though. I talk all the time about foods that I can/can't have and tell my kiddos how "great it is that I can still eat so many yummie things". Attitude does make a huge difference. I allow myself the occasional down-in-the-dumps moments, but for the most part I try and think about how grateful I am we aren't dealing with something worse. There is always something worse out there... Dh and I were just talking about how bizarre it is that our 6yr old now has to carry an injection with him at all times and know how to use it. Ds asked me on the way home from the MD office, "mom, what if I tell a grownup to call the ambulance before I use the medicine and they won't call..." I do hate that he has to even think about life-threatening situations (his own life, no less).

I have to tell you, before I was diagnosed with Celiac (only 3mo ago) I was the worst cook and a prepared meal meant opening cans and boxes or going out. Well, we now eat at home 99.5% of the time and I am learning how to use raw/natural ingredients. We sit around the table as a family and everything we put in our mouths has been made by the sweat of my brow!!!
I'm not sure that I'll ever love cooking, but I am learning. My dh keeps saying, "we haven't eaten this good in the entire 16yrs of our marriage!!!"

I am so glad to have found this thread and I appreciate the info you ladies have shared.

-Chantae
Old 06-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #53
down and digi

Quote:
Also, I've heard that if a person has asthma they are less likely to out-grow a peanut allergy. Have you heard this, too?

I have never even heard this claim.

I have heard that if a child is going to outgrow an anaphylactic-type reaction, s/he'll do it by 3 years of age. I don't know if there is truth to it, but we were told that by the allergist when my son outgrew his egg allergy at 14 months.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #54
down and digi

Quote:

We were told something similar. We were told that 2 body systems have to be reacting in order to be considered anaphylaxis.

However, I also know that my DS has had a few anaphylactic reactions (one to egg at 12 months and one to worchestershire sauce at 6 yo) and came through without an epi.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #55
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I may seem over protective to strangers, but I really don't care what strangers think when it comes to the safety of my child. .
yup! Or family really.

I haven't found the courage to take him to a restaurant yet. Except Chuck E Cheese - they are peanut free. he used to love eating out so I am hoping to find something safe.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #56
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
That's very interesting. Our allergist said that she recently changed her views for all her peanut allergic patients. She wants us to give the EpiPen for ANY reaction; bypassing the Benedryl if it's only hives. My guess is some studies have been conducted releasing vital info on this matter for these doctorsís to rethink their views. Hmm...
well yes....let me clarify.....she said EPI for a known ingestion of peanut

for an unknown reaction we are to give benedryl for one sympton - if it does not get better in 15 mins - epi; two symptoms epi

but for a known peanut ingestion - no benedryl - straight to epi

my son had a reaction at this preschool and they went straight to epi
Old 06-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #57
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
I have never even heard this claim.

I have heard that if a child is going to outgrow an anaphylactic-type reaction, s/he'll do it by 3 years of age. I don't know if there is truth to it, but we were told that by the allergist when my son outgrew his egg allergy at 14 months.
I've read age 5-6 and also that if asthma is involved it is less likely

I have also read that PA kids are 30 - 50% likely to develop tree nut allergies

It's really frustrating that the medical comminity knows so little about this.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #58
Forum Fanatic

For me at first it was overwhelming but like you guys have said there are so many worse things. I have been cooking for a long time so I just stepped it up a bit with baking and ice cream! I also think that there are lots of positives about this - we don't eat many processed foods at all. DS is really sick right now...they thought he might have mono and I wanted to make him pancakes..and didn't have any syrup..well I found a brand made in a peanut free facility but after reading the ingrediants I decided to make it myself. (I don't like real maple syrup LOL). It took all 5 minutes and was good.

I used to like having take out once or twice a week and I really miss that and having a night off from cooking. But we can still do it - just in a different way. And we decided no Thai food in the house at all. So when I want that I have it for lunch. I have learned how to make bagels and pita bread and all sorts of stuff. But like I said...myh fat pants are getting tight!

I really worry about play dates and things like that for when he gets older. We are even thinking of adding on to our house so we have a play room for him and his friends so they can play here.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:48 AM   #59
down and digi

Quote:
For me at first it was overwhelming but like you guys have said there are so many worse things. I have been cooking for a long time so I just stepped it up a bit with baking and ice cream! I also think that there are lots of positives about this - we don't eat many processed foods at all. DS is really sick right now...they thought he might have mono and I wanted to make him pancakes..and didn't have any syrup..well I found a brand made in a peanut free facility but after reading the ingrediants I decided to make it myself. (I don't like real maple syrup LOL). It took all 5 minutes and was good.

I used to like having take out once or twice a week and I really miss that and having a night off from cooking. But we can still do it - just in a different way. And we decided no Thai food in the house at all. So when I want that I have it for lunch. I have learned how to make bagels and pita bread and all sorts of stuff. But like I said...myh fat pants are getting tight!

I really worry about play dates and things like that for when he gets older. We are even thinking of adding on to our house so we have a play room for him and his friends so they can play here.
We made the same decision with Chinese food, and you may want to do the same. I don't know if they use peanut-anything, but they use all wooden cutting boards. The juices can soak into the wood and permeate into food for cross-contamination. I haven't eaten in a Chinese restaurant in 20 years.

We do eat out, but we are very careful. I had my first anaphylactic reaction when I was 12, so by the time I had a child with anaphylaxis, I had worked out the kinks for restaurants. We do not go to restaurants that fry their french fries with deep-fried shrimp because my son cannot have the french fries in those restaurants and he likes french fries. WE are also very careful when we eat out, and usually the manager or the cook will come talk to us about the allergies before the order goes into the kitchen. If we get a waitress/waiter that do not appear to understand the importance of what I am saying, I ask to see the manager, or ultimately we leave.

For those of you who have kids with anaphylaxis, but do not have it yourselves, I can give you a bit of insight into their thinking on the subject. My parents continued to eat the foods that I was allergic to (and had even stopped my heart) after I was allergic. They were careful, but continued to eat it. It hurt me deeply that they would do it. I was upset that they couldn't respect me enough to abstain from eating it while I was with them. I thought they could go out for lunch and eat it, go out together with the kids and eat it, but that they should respect me enough to not eat it across the table from me. As an adult, I don't mind if my DH has something, but he knows that he is not allowed to even kiss me for 48 hours afterward. He usually eats enough of it when he travels to get it out of his system.

If any of you want to know what it feels like, in order to better spot your kids symptoms, or to simply understand what it's like for them, ask or PM me. I had 5-6 life threatening reactions from 12-18 and was deep into shock 3 times, but none since I was 18.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:19 AM   #60
Forum Fanatic

K2 - thank you so much for your post! You just touched on almost all of my current struggles with this. I have gone completely peanut free in the house and am sure that my son will see and know that his parents took every measure to keep him safe and to respect him. I think we have had one take out meal that I hadn't verified for him but it was something that he didn't like and I had an alternative for him. So it wasn't because of PA that he couldn't eat it (in his head) but that he didn't like it.

BUT.....here's a question that is looming in my head. How will he FEEL at a school that serves PB&J every day as a cold lunch option. Even if there is a safe zone. I think that there is potential for that to also deeply hurt a child that thier school is serving poison and putting it in the environment. What are your thoughts on that? His current school went nut/peanut free and most of the preschools here are peanut/nut free. But the elementary schools are not - at least not yet. They may be when I get done with them!

Also for restaurants......I do eat lunch out a lot. And am "testing" places. I have not gotten a reasonable response from anyone yet. I can't tell you how many stray food items are on my plate (things that don't belong with my order) or just total ineptness of the servers/cooks. I think here in Bellevue we have such a good economy that the restaraunts are packed and have a hard time hiring. Are there any national chains that you go to? I have heard Outback (but they just got bought out) is good and even REd Robin. I think the key for me would be to go at a really SLOW time of day. Just typing this....I have a lump in my throat. He loved to eat out too.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #61
Matboard Maniac

I have been out of town with no internet access, so I am just catching up on this thread.

Quote:
Montana - your post really scares me. No reaction predicts the next one. You really really should have two epi's handy unless your son passes a food challenge done by an allergist.

Read this...

http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanu...ML/000426.html
Thanks for sharing this information. It is very eye-opening. I think our problem is that we have tended to be more reactive than proactive, but after reading all of this, that will change. We live in a very rural area. There are no allergy doctors anywhere close by. My husband is an MD (Peds/ER) so he can handle most of the problems. But I have been asking around, and found out that there is now an allergy dr 2 hrs away. I am trying to find out more about the dr, and hopefully we can take our son.

Our allergy dr that we had on Baltimore (we moved 3 yrs ago) only told us to use the epi pen for respiratory problems... Believe me, I will be finding out more about this. I will post anything that I learn.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:13 AM   #62
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

For those of you who have kids with anaphylaxis, but do not have it yourselves, I can give you a bit of insight into their thinking on the subject. My parents continued to eat the foods that I was allergic to (and had even stopped my heart) after I was allergic. They were careful, but continued to eat it. It hurt me deeply that they would do it. I was upset that they couldn't respect me enough to abstain from eating it while I was with them. I thought they could go out for lunch and eat it, go out together with the kids and eat it, but that they should respect me enough to not eat it across the table from me. As an adult, I don't mind if my DH has something, but he knows that he is not allowed to even kiss me for 48 hours afterward. He usually eats enough of it when he travels to get it out of his system.

Thank you for sharing the perspective of someone who had allergies as a child. My son was allergic to milk, eggs, soy, and peanuts (he outgrew the soy and eggs) so we couldn't avoid everything. Now our family will eat those things, but we make sure he has his own options. No one gets a "treat" that he misses out on. I also carry snacks and treats so that if we are at someone's house or out somewhere, he will have his own food.
We rarely eat out, and if we do, I take him a plate with his own food. The only thing that we order for him is either fresh fruit or french fries.
I am wary of fast food since seeing the McDonalds issues that came out.
Some info on that if you are not aware.
http://news.monstersandcritics.com/b...legal_backlash

He also takes his own lunch and snacks to school. By law, they have to provide meals for children with special needs, but there is no way I would ever trust them. After one incident where he ate a cupcake at a holiday party, he didn't even have juice, unless I preapproved it. (No reaction to the cupcake, so it was OK, but it could have been bad.) Sometimes, I do feel overbearing, but what choice do you have?

The thing that I have a hard time with is the lack of comprehension on other people's part. They understand that he is allergic, but not really what that means. For example, to some people who hear that he has a milk allergy, that means that he has to have lactaid milk, or that he just can't drink a cup of milk. It is hard to get through to them that there is alot more to it than that. Now that my son is 7, he just knows to check with us before he eats ANYTHING. Does anyone have advice on how to explain things to people?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:33 AM   #63
Mad Swapper

Quote:
well yes....let me clarify.....she said EPI for a known ingestion of peanut

for an unknown reaction we are to give benedryl for one sympton - if it does not get better in 15 mins - epi; two symptoms epi

but for a known peanut ingestion - no benedryl - straight to epi

my son had a reaction at this preschool and they went straight to epi

That's exactly what my child's allergist said. But...he also said get to the emergency room asap if you give the epi

www.3ScrappinChicks.com
Old 06-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #64
down and digi

Quote:
K2 - thank you so much for your post! You just touched on almost all of my current struggles with this. I have gone completely peanut free in the house and am sure that my son will see and know that his parents took every measure to keep him safe and to respect him. I think we have had one take out meal that I hadn't verified for him but it was something that he didn't like and I had an alternative for him. So it wasn't because of PA that he couldn't eat it (in his head) but that he didn't like it.

BUT.....here's a question that is looming in my head. How will he FEEL at a school that serves PB&J every day as a cold lunch option. Even if there is a safe zone. I think that there is potential for that to also deeply hurt a child that thier school is serving poison and putting it in the environment. What are your thoughts on that? His current school went nut/peanut free and most of the preschools here are peanut/nut free. But the elementary schools are not - at least not yet. They may be when I get done with them!

Also for restaurants......I do eat lunch out a lot. And am "testing" places. I have not gotten a reasonable response from anyone yet. I can't tell you how many stray food items are on my plate (things that don't belong with my order) or just total ineptness of the servers/cooks. I think here in Bellevue we have such a good economy that the restaraunts are packed and have a hard time hiring. Are there any national chains that you go to? I have heard Outback (but they just got bought out) is good and even REd Robin. I think the key for me would be to go at a really SLOW time of day. Just typing this....I have a lump in my throat. He loved to eat out too.
I don't remember if it is Outback or Montana's, but one of them is a sponsor for the crohn's foundation. Consequently, all their staff members receive extrensive training on cross contamination and what the impact can be if they mess up. Also, the are very careful with their food handling/ food prep planning to reduce cross-contamination (eg. when deep fry shellfish, nothing else goes into those vats).

With regards to school, it never bothered me. It truly didn't. I knew how to avoid it and I did. My kids go to a nut-free school, so we don't deal with that, but he far more allergic to shellfish than nuts, and shellfish is not banned from the school. I worry, but he does not. As an adult, it freaks me out because I know how little it would take to kill him, and I have to rely on someone else to keep him alive.

But, after what we went through in the fall when he was reacting to the air around him and reacting anaphylacticly from absolutely nothing, we developed a new attitude towards everything, and I now realize I have to give him the same opportunities as other children and just pray for his safety. Every single day when I dropped him off I hugged him and realized that I may not see him again (tearing up as I type this ). We thought about pulling him from school and just living close for the year we had left with him (we were told he had a year left to live because his anaphylactic reactions were getting more severe and when they got to the point that we needed epipens, they would most likely not work - we had 18 epipens prescribed to him in Nov just in case). So, believe me when I say I get the whole fear thing, but we also realized in that process that he had to give him a chance to live in the same way that other 6 year olds live. We found out in Jan that the diagnosis was wrong, and we are still trying to find out what is wrong, but we moved to another house, and most of his allergic reactions are gone. He has another appointment in 3 weeks,

That's him in my avatar.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #65
Pearl-ExPert

momof2stampers,

i am so sorry that you have had such a scary experience. i pray they will be able to figure more out at the appointment and that it will be good news. please keep us posted.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #66
Matboard Maniac

Smile Vacations are possible

Just wanted everyone to know I got back from a 5d vacation with the whole family (DS1 is allergic to peanuts). I packed a picnic lunch (SunButter & jelly sandwiches for all) for the drive out and brought oatmeal as a breakfast for every morning we were gone. We ate one restaurant/day at various selective places the rest of the time. Did my best to provide nutritious, safe food for all the other meals (usually lunch). We had a great time, were completely reaction free, and never had any breathing problems (DS1 also has asthma). This is the third vacation I have taken my DS1 son on since he was diagnosed with PN allergy--all have been reaction free. WOO HOO!!!

PN allergy does not have to be a jail sentence...we can get out and safely enjoy the beautiful wonders of our country.

Just thought I'd share...
Old 06-24-2007, 08:00 PM   #67
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
With regards to school, it never bothered me. It truly didn't. I knew how to avoid it and I did. My kids go to a nut-free school, so we don't deal with that, but he far more allergic to shellfish than nuts, and shellfish is not banned from the school. I worry, but he does not. As an adult, it freaks me out because I know how little it would take to kill him, and I have to rely on someone else to keep him alive.

But, after what we went through in the fall when he was reacting to the air around him and reacting anaphylacticly from absolutely nothing, we developed a new attitude towards everything, and I now realize I have to give him the same opportunities as other children and just pray for his safety. Every single day when I dropped him off I hugged him and realized that I may not see him again (tearing up as I type this ). We thought about pulling him from school and just living close for the year we had left with him (we were told he had a year left to live because his anaphylactic reactions were getting more severe and when they got to the point that we needed epipens, they would most likely not work - we had 18 epipens prescribed to him in Nov just in case). So, believe me when I say I get the whole fear thing, but we also realized in that process that he had to give him a chance to live in the same way that other 6 year olds live. We found out in Jan that the diagnosis was wrong, and we are still trying to find out what is wrong, but we moved to another house, and most of his allergic reactions are gone. He has another appointment in 3 weeks,

That's him in my avatar.
Good grief girl!! I can't image what it was like for you to go through this...not knowing what caused his reaction?!? That would drive me crazy insane!! You're a good mama for giving him the space he needs to grow as a person, live a life as a normal kid but that has to be really hard for you. Hang in there and keep us posted!

Never, EVER, feel ashamed or guilty (not quite the right words I'm looking for but I hope you get what I mean) about giving your kids hugs as they leave for school. I've just recently (and unexpectantly) lost a highschool classmate due to domestic violence of the worst kind (not that any violence is good)...her husband shot and killed her then their three kids (ages 12, 11, and 8 ). Give your kids big hugs and kisses. No reasons necessary. Just because you can and you love them.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:39 AM   #68
down and digi

Quote:
Good grief girl!! I can't image what it was like for you to go through this...not knowing what caused his reaction?!? That would drive me crazy insane!! You're a good mama for giving him the space he needs to grow as a person, live a life as a normal kid but that has to be really hard for you. Hang in there and keep us posted!

Never, EVER, feel ashamed or guilty (not quite the right words I'm looking for but I hope you get what I mean) about giving your kids hugs as they leave for school. I've just recently (and unexpectantly) lost a highschool classmate due to domestic violence of the worst kind (not that any violence is good)...her husband shot and killed her then their three kids (ages 12, 11, and 8 ). Give your kids big hugs and kisses. No reasons necessary. Just because you can and you love them.

Thanks. The daily fear is no longer there, and we are all a lot better. Hopefully we will get some more answers in July when we go to `yet another doctor' I have had people joke that he could be an episode on the show House.

Your friend must be the one that's been in the news. How terribly sad for you. I cannot imagine the grief and anguish you must be feeling.

A friend of mine lost her brother to murder on the day my DD was born(5 1/2 years ago), and I know what she went through in her grief (it's even worse than a normal death or accident because it was intentional and senseless). HUGS!!!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #69
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Skype™ to stampinwizard
Default peanut allergy

my 26 year old daughter was diagnosed with a peanut allergy at 18 months old, I told the doctor what it was, back then it was rare. The doctor told me, no it wasn't that, hardly anyone was allergic to peanut butter, what did he know!

She had asthma to begin with, then everytime someone ate a peanut butter sandwich near her at day care she reacted. She has developed a latex allergy at around 12 years old and can't eat anything from the rubber tree family, any nuts (sunflower seeds, chili beans, any beans except green beans). During school all her friends and family looked after her, it was great. New people into her life never believed it until they witnessed a reaction.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:42 PM   #70
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
I have been out of town with no internet access, so I am just catching up on this thread.

Thanks for sharing this information. It is very eye-opening. I think our problem is that we have tended to be more reactive than proactive, but after reading all of this, that will change. We live in a very rural area. There are no allergy doctors anywhere close by. My husband is an MD (Peds/ER) so he can handle most of the problems. But I have been asking around, and found out that there is now an allergy dr 2 hrs away. I am trying to find out more about the dr, and hopefully we can take our son.

Our allergy dr that we had on Baltimore (we moved 3 yrs ago) only told us to use the epi pen for respiratory problems... Believe me, I will be finding out more about this. I will post anything that I learn.
Good I'm glad that it was helpful...I felt a little funny posting it.

It's such a hard balance. I think there are so many safe choices that we can make...that aren't that difficult and don't have too much of a "cost" involved that we really can keep these kids safe and still have them live and participate in life.

K2 - I remember another thread about your son. You are very strong and I admire your attitude.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #71
Matboard Maniac

Tootsie Roll Candies and Just Born products

I'm not sure how many of you actually allow your food allergy kidos to have candy, but we let our PN allergy son have VERY selective types of candy. We typically let him have any of the candy from the Tooties Roll family (within reason, of course). Their web site indicates that they are gluten, peanut and nut product free (at this time). I keep checking back from time to time just to be sure. Of course we only let him have these candies if they are in the original packaging from Tootsie Roll plant. If it's in an open bin or in a bag of mixed candies, he's not allowed to have it due to the uncertainty of the origin (Tootsie Roll plant to other mf plant).

We used to let him also have those marshmellow Peeps that come out at all the different holidays. If you click on the link, you'll see that they now a new product they are indorsing. They appearently bought another candy company that makes a chocolate peanut bar. I'm not sure if they are going to keep that manufacturing plant (where it's been produced for years) or incorporate the new candy bar into their own manufacturing plant. We're a bit bumb by this discovery b/c it's one of those treats my DH likes to share with our PNA DS.

Just thought I'd pass this along.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #72
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, I have a question. Is it safe to give my daughter store bought food if it says NOTHING on the label about peanut anything? I just noticed a lot of companies mention "may contain traces of peanuts or tree nuts" or "processed in peanut plant." What about packages that don't mention it at all? Isn't it a law that they have to put that on their packages?

Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #73
Forum Fanatic

My understanding of the law in the US is that they have to list the top 8 allergens IF they are an ingredient. They can not hide peanut flour in "natural flavorings". BUT they do NOT need to label for shared lines or shared facilities.

I assume that unless it is labeled it is contaminated and I need to call to make sure that it's not contaminated. Here's an example....think of dried fruit....raisins for instance. What else does that company make? Trail mix? So even though the raisins are THE only ingredient.....can there be peanut dust on them....yup.

So I call unless the product is clearly labeled. On the site

www.peanutallergy.com there is a Manufacturers section of the discussion board and you can do searches or post a question there. I use that a lot.

You get a feel for what mananufacturs practice safe labeling. For instance General Mills is very good. Hershey's is very good.

Some companies like Kraft will NOT tell you if they share lines or facilities but claim to have great allergen washes. I think if they didn't you would see people reacting all over the place...BUT I still don't use thier products. I would rather KNOW. There are so many options that it's easy to choose something safe.

Hope that helped.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:07 AM   #74
Forum Fanatic

Kimberly.....

I bought a years worth of beautiful chocolate lolipops at

http://www.vermontnutfree.com/

They are really good and I keep some in a treat bag as school so when they unexpected birthday parties with cupcakes DS can have one of these.

I also bought a HUGE box of candy and granola bars from

http://www.peanutfreeplanet.com/

I also bought a ton of dried fruit from Sensable Foods

http://www.amazon.com/Sensible-Foods.../dp/B000EYRHL2

AND I bought a bought enough vanilla (to make ice cream) to last for 3 years at

www.thevanillashop.com

As soon as he was diagnosed I was frantic to make sure that he "treats" even though he had never had many treats before! I just didn't want to be caught off guard. LOL. So when Brown came to the house there were NO SU boxes....just chocolate, candy and fruit for a while!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #75
Pearl-ExPert

Sarah,
So are you saying that things could be contaminated even if the label does not mention anything? For example, chocolate chips (used for baking) says nothing on the label about being processed around peanuts yet chocolate candy bars do .

Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #76
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygalval View Post
Sarah,
So are you saying that things could be contaminated even if the label does not mention anything? For example, chocolate chips (used for baking) says nothing on the label about being processed around peanuts yet chocolate candy bars do .
Yes.....many items with no mention on the label are indeed contaminated.

For chocolate chips ......I use ones from Vermont Nut Free or Ghiradelli but NOT Nestle. There are SOME Nestle chips that I think are safe and some people can find them without a warning on the bag - but most of thier bags have warnings now - I have never seen a bag of Nestle without a warning.

I have a very conservative comfort zone....although it is getting more lax. But this is what I do..if there is no mention of peanuts on the label I call the manufacturer and ask....is this product on dedicated lines and are there peanuts or nuts processed in the facility. I also check out the website (or isle) and other products made. For instance....Philly Cream Cheese in the tubs....they now have a nut flavor one...I wont buy that product anymore....but I will buy the Philly bricks of cream cheese. I buy the tubs of whipped cream cheese from Trader Joes who has told me in writing that they are produced in a nut free facility. I'll probably recheck in a few months as things change.

The only commericial bread that I buy is from Rudi's Organic and they have just added walnuts to one of thier breads. I am not concerned (now) with treenuts. I also buy Thomas's English muffins.....but not thier bagels. Mostly I bake bread. I don't buy ANY commercial ice cream. Many people trust Breyers Vanilla and there is a brand called Philly Swirl that is nut free but I haven't seen it in the store yet. I make ice cream - thus the bulk vanilla purchase!

If it's a general mills product and not labeled for nuts I will buy it. If it is a Betty Crocker or Pillsbury product I will buy it. I have a list at home that I have compiled...but it's not here. General Mills owns a lot of "brands" and I trust their labeling.

I am very leery of smaller - usually healthful brands as they typically share facilities and/or use nuts themselves.

If you want to pm me I'll give you my phone #. I know other people have more lax comfort zones and I know other people have even more strict ones. This is what is currently working for me.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #77
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinwizard View Post
my 26 year old daughter was diagnosed with a peanut allergy at 18 months old, I told the doctor what it was, back then it was rare. The doctor told me, no it wasn't that, hardly anyone was allergic to peanut butter, what did he know!

She had asthma to begin with, then everytime someone ate a peanut butter sandwich near her at day care she reacted. She has developed a latex allergy at around 12 years old and can't eat anything from the rubber tree family, any nuts (sunflower seeds, chili beans, any beans except green beans). During school all her friends and family looked after her, it was great. New people into her life never believed it until they witnessed a reaction.
I can't imagine how hard it must of been then to deal with this then. I'm not sure that the doctors have come very far though. So many are still not educated about PA and how to deal with it. I feel so lucky that many companies do label well and that most kids know about this. I am sorry that so many kids have it...but at least we are not alone.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:53 AM   #78
Forum Fanatic

Valorie....there are two studies....I think Duke did them. I'll try to find a link.

They showed that products made on shared lines with peanuts have an 18% chance of being contaminated and products made in a facility with peanuts have a 12% chance of being contaminated. That's just too high for me. Our allergist told us day 1 that these items where not safe for ds.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #79
Forum Fanatic

Here is one link....not the one I had in mind but it does address your questions...

http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/dai...mc00010-01.pdf
Old 06-27-2007, 12:29 PM   #80
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for all the info, Sarah. I am so bummed now. It is so hard to know where to draw the line. Granted, DD's reactions have only been hives but I know it could get worse. Her skin is SO sensitive that it hard to tell if she is having a reaction to food or something else. She gets a rash from just going outside to play!