Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Yahoo to Toy
Default Anyone Homeschooling High Schoolers?

Hi ya'll...

My kids have been in public schools their entire academic life. This year, we have decided to enroll my 9th and 12th grader in the Colorado Online Virtual Academy.

Today is the 2nd day of school and I am already feeling the pressure. I need to make schedules and log hours and follow up with 12 different classes. I am sure that it will just take some organization, but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

My questions are... 1) do you homeschool high schoolers? 2) Do you have any organizational tips? 3) Are there any support groups that you know of for this type of thing?

I am wanting to stamp so bad, but I can see that is going to take a backseat for a few days until I get the boys settled in their routine. How do you fit stamping in your day?

What works for you??!

Holly
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm interested in what reponses you get. A friend enrolled her son into a virtual school, don't know details. For some reason they got started late last year, and the boy only did half of ninth grade so far and is supposed to start 10 grade in two weeks. She wants me to tutor him.
It will be interesting to learn if the big learning curves are discipline and organization of class material for the parents as well as the child. That's done for the family, when the child has a class schedule in a traditional school.
Good Luck. If I learn anything that might help, I'll get back to this post.
Stasia
Old 08-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks Stasia!

I can use all the advise I can get. The first two days have been nothing but orientation, so we haven't even gotten into their classes yet. Fortunately, Colorado Online Virtual Academy does a staggered start (1 class added per day for the first six days), so they have time to adjust to the new way of doing things. I have to say I am highly impressed with the amount of support the school offers.

Ask me again this time next week and I may have a different story! LOL
Old 08-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hey, Holly,
We're doing K12 in Ohio, but elementary, not high school. I joined a Yahoo group for Ohio K12, and it has been nothing but awesome info and support. Can you find one for Colorado?
Good luck!! Hang in there!!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliesmom View Post
Hey, Holly,
We're doing K12 in Ohio, but elementary, not high school. I joined a Yahoo group for Ohio K12, and it has been nothing but awesome info and support. Can you find one for Colorado?
Good luck!! Hang in there!!
Thanks, Jennie

I found that the K12 website has discussion groups and support groups built right in. I looked for a yahoo group, but there is nothing for COVA. Maybe I will have to start one!

We had three two-hour sessions this morning on how to use the system. My computer lovin' boys are now tired of being on the computer..lol. They just want to start working on assignments.

I will be happy for tomorrow to come...I can just let them work and I can be elsewhere!