Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 01-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to stamplady_13
Default Thoughts & Prayers

Hello folks. I am starting a new thoughts and prayers thread as I am in need of some. My FIL is out of the hospital now and recovering at home. Please pray for continued recovery. He has had several strokes and has 2 or 3 stents in his heart.

However my Grandma is still in the hospital. She has improved in terms of the pneumonia but now she has other complications. She has not urinated in 3 days. They did an ultrasound of her kidneys yesterday and they appear OK, just small which I guess is normal for older people. No kidney stones so that's good. I told my mom (an RN) and she texted me back that her condition would be considered "guarded". My aunt also told me this AM that she is coughing a lot b/c of not being able to pee. To me that sounds like congestive heart failure. I hope I am wrong. At any rate, the fluid must be gathered around her lungs.

Please pray for her and for our family. Pray for what is best for her.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
itscarollee likes this post.
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Hugs and prayers, Marnie!

Gallery Blog

Beauty is the miracle of things going together imperfectly. ~ Anne Lamott
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Gallery Gazer

You've got it Marnie! Ids this your Grandma that is down here in FL or your dad's mom? I forget.
Suzanne
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Hardware Hotshot

Praying for you and your family, Marnie! Big hugs!
Unread 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamplady_13 View Post
Hello folks. I am starting a new thoughts and prayers thread as I am in need of some. My FIL is out of the hospital now and recovering at home. Please pray for continued recovery. He has had several strokes and has 2 or 3 stents in his heart.

However my Grandma is still in the hospital. She has improved in terms of the pneumonia but now she has other complications. She has not urinated in 3 days. They did an ultrasound of her kidneys yesterday and they appear OK, just small which I guess is normal for older people. No kidney stones so that's good. I told my mom (an RN) and she texted me back that her condition would be considered "guarded". My aunt also told me this AM that she is coughing a lot b/c of not being able to pee. To me that sounds like congestive heart failure. I hope I am wrong. At any rate, the fluid must be gathered around her lungs.

Please pray for her and for our family. Pray for what is best for her.
Oh no, Marnie! My grandmother had congestive heart failure...I hope its not that. Sending hugs, thoughts, and prayers your way.
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampingkwilter View Post
You've got it Marnie! Ids this your Grandma that is down here in FL or your dad's mom? I forget.
Suzanne
Dad's mom. The crazy one in FL is still alive and kickin'. I'm thinking the mean ones live longest. (This may sound awful but this is the woman who abused my mom in every sense of the word and recently accused HER of elder abuse. As much as she would like to, my mom has never laid a finger on her. She got herself evicted from a really nice place (for hitting people) and mom had to scramble to find her a place. Seh lives in this cute little villa now and mom goes over there every day, cleans, makes sure she's oK, etc)

Anyway, I digress....it's my dad's mom.
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

It's gotten worse since I posted. I spoke to my aunt not long after I posted. I had texted her that I would stop by the hospital to visit grandma before or after my dr appt. She called me right back and said Grandma wasn't there. They moved her back to the nursing home for comfort care.
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
It's gotten worse since I posted. I spoke to my aunt not long after I posted. I had texted her that I would stop by the hospital to visit grandma before or after my dr appt. She called me right back and said Grandma wasn't there. They moved her back to the nursing home for comfort care.
Hugs Marnie....please keep us posted.
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

Good news! I talked to my aunt again not long after posting. Grandma peed! She even soaked her bed! She went again this AM. That's very good news b/c her kidneys are in very rough shape. It doesn't mean she's out of the woods but if nothing else, this should make her more comfortable and hopefully ease her coughing from all the fluid surrounding her lungs. the doc increased her lasix.
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Good news! I talked to my aunt again not long after posting. Grandma peed! She even soaked her bed! She went again this AM. That's very good news b/c her kidneys are in very rough shape. It doesn't mean she's out of the woods but if nothing else, this should make her more comfortable and hopefully ease her coughing from all the fluid surrounding her lungs. the doc increased her lasix.
That is good news! Continued prayers...
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Oh good!
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:50 AM   #13
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.
Send a message via AIM to mollymoo951

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcousins13 View Post
Oh no, Marnie! My grandmother had congestive heart failure...I hope its not that. Sending hugs, thoughts, and prayers your way.
That was my Grandpa.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:51 AM   #14
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:
Dad's mom. The crazy one in FL is still alive and kickin'. I'm thinking the mean ones live longest. (This may sound awful but this is the woman who abused my mom in every sense of the word and recently accused HER of elder abuse. As much as she would like to, my mom has never laid a finger on her. She got herself evicted from a really nice place (for hitting people) and mom had to scramble to find her a place. Seh lives in this cute little villa now and mom goes over there every day, cleans, makes sure she's oK, etc)

Anyway, I digress....it's my dad's mom.
oh yeah...the mean ones always live the longest. think of it as their punishment.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.
Unread 01-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #15
luvstochatchatCHAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymoo951 View Post
oh yeah...the mean ones always live the longest. think of it as their punishment.
Oh goodness Melissa!!

Thinking of you Marnie.
Unread 01-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #16

Glad things are better, Marnie!

Jeff's dad is back in the hospital. He just got back into the assisted living place a couple of days ago. He went to the ER by ambulance because he kept passing out.

Gallery Blog

Unread 01-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #17

Jeff had a Lasik follow-up today. His near vision is not as good as it should be. He goes back in 2 months. If it hasn't improved enough he'll need to do the left eye again. Please pray that it works out on its own. It's included in the surgery price so that's good, but I know he doesn't want to go through it again!

Gallery Blog

Unread 01-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaird View Post

Jeff's dad is back in the hospital. He just got back into the assisted living place a couple of days ago. He went to the ER by ambulance because he kept passing out.
Uh oh. thinking of your family.
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Jeff had a Lasik follow-up today. His near vision is not as good as it should be. He goes back in 2 months. If it hasn't improved enough he'll need to do the left eye again. Please pray that it works out on its own. It's included in the surgery price so that's good, but I know he doesn't want to go through it again!
That's my fear with Lasik (or any kind of eye surgery). I'm worried it won't work or worse yet, it will be worse! I sure hope it works itself out on its own for Jeff. Fingers crossed!
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Rollercoaster

So we're back to bad news. as in hospice. My Aunt Barb arrived back in town yesterday. She's the RN. I trust her judgement. She had stayed an extra week when Grandma went into the hospital and left last Saturday b/c she was doing better and Barb had to get back to work.

Aunt Barb called me last night and told me Grandma is not doing well. She said she looks a lot worse than when she saw her on Saturday. You can see it in her face. She was able to void b/c of the increase in lasix but still has a lot of fluid around the lungs and is very rattly. I asked about congestive heart failure. She said they are not saying that but it sounds like it to her. My other 2 aunts are on their way from FL today then all of the siblings will be in town (7 all together). They are talking about hospice today. Aunt Barb says she heard there is a room set up for hospice right in the hospital that is bigger and more "homelike" with a recliner, etc. I hope that works out b/c the move from the hospital to the nursing home really wiped her out Tuesday. It would be better if she didn't have to move again.

I am sad but at this point am praying for mercy. The doc doesn't know how long it will be...days or weeks. Hopefully it is shorter rather than longer so she doesn't have to suffer. I am going to see her after work today (after I find out where she is!). Please pray for a peaceful transition.
Unread 01-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #21
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Lifting Jeff's dad up in prayer!
Unread 01-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #22
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I will keep Jeff in my prayers and hope his vision improves!
Unread 01-11-2013, 06:57 AM   #23
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
So we're back to bad news. as in hospice. My Aunt Barb arrived back in town yesterday. She's the RN. I trust her judgement. She had stayed an extra week when Grandma went into the hospital and left last Saturday b/c she was doing better and Barb had to get back to work.

Aunt Barb called me last night and told me Grandma is not doing well. She said she looks a lot worse than when she saw her on Saturday. You can see it in her face. She was able to void b/c of the increase in lasix but still has a lot of fluid around the lungs and is very rattly. I asked about congestive heart failure. She said they are not saying that but it sounds like it to her. My other 2 aunts are on their way from FL today then all of the siblings will be in town (7 all together). They are talking about hospice today. Aunt Barb says she heard there is a room set up for hospice right in the hospital that is bigger and more "homelike" with a recliner, etc. I hope that works out b/c the move from the hospital to the nursing home really wiped her out Tuesday. It would be better if she didn't have to move again.

I am sad but at this point am praying for mercy. The doc doesn't know how long it will be...days or weeks. Hopefully it is shorter rather than longer so she doesn't have to suffer. I am going to see her after work today (after I find out where she is!). Please pray for a peaceful transition.
Oh, I am so sorry, Marine! I am praying for your grandmother and your family. Big hugs!
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast

This has been such a rollercoaster. I saw Grandma yesterday and she was sitting up in a chair and had been for a couple hours. I'm so confused. When I heard "comfort care" and "hospice" I thought it would be pretty quick. But after talking to a few people I have learned that there will be good days and bad days. Also people can be in hospice for months and months. Maybe she will be able to go back to her house and have hospice come in. She does need full time nursing care. On the other hand, if they have a hospice room at Marwood, the move would be much easier on her. The siblings are all in town now and will be talking about it.
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #25
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymoo951 View Post
That was my Grandpa.
Its so hard, isn't it.
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Thinking of you all....how old is he?
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #27
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Prayers for Jeff!
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #28
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Hugs Marnie.
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
This has been such a rollercoaster. I saw Grandma yesterday and she was sitting up in a chair and had been for a couple hours. I'm so confused. When I heard "comfort care" and "hospice" I thought it would be pretty quick. But after talking to a few people I have learned that there will be good days and bad days. Also people can be in hospice for months and months. Maybe she will be able to go back to her house and have hospice come in. She does need full time nursing care. On the other hand, if they have a hospice room at Marwood, the move would be much easier on her. The siblings are all in town now and will be talking about it.
My grandmother was like that as well. A person with CHF can go downhill really fast. I really feel for you, your grandma, and the rest of your family.
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #30
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:
I missed this. I sure would not want to do it again.

The A-Team.
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #31
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a prayer request. As you know, my grandmother has not been doing well. She had pneumonia at the end of December and was hospitalized for over a week. She healed from that but then her kidneys started failing. She was moved back to the nursing home for comfort care and then chose hospice as there was really nothing the doctors could do for her that would help more than hurt. She has had good days and bad since then. In the past few days she has stopped breathing for periods of time. The hospice nurse who originally evaluated her was in to see her yesterday. She thinks it will be a matter of 2-3 days. Please pray for mercy and for a peaceful transition.
Unread 02-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #32

Prayers Marnie. And also lots of hugs.

Gallery Blog

Unread 02-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #33
Kookie Creator

Aahh, Marnie...so sad .... one of the patients in the office I work in said it best..."It's the long goodbye." Many, many blessings to you and your family.
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #34
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via MSN to ohmypaper!

Marnie, praying for you and your family during these difficult days.
The Project Bin
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #35
Stazon Splitcoast

So, so sorry Marnie. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #36
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the prayers. I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. The sooner she passes the easier it will be. No one wants to lose her but she has no quality of life and it is just hard on everyone. I saw her Thursday and told her I love her and have a lot of great memories and will miss her but it's OK to go. I hope others have told her the same thing.

There are so many of us. There are a few more cousins scattered across the country. I hope she is not waiting for them b/c I'm not so sure they are coming until the funeral. They put her hearing aids in since hearing is the last sense to go. All of her children are here. There are 18 grandkids and 17 greats. My brother doesn't want to go. Perhaps he doesn't want to see her like that. I doubt my sisters will go b/c they just lost their mom's mom and they were both so close to her. It happened at Thanksgiving and it is probably just too raw right now. She has the same look my other grandma had. Fast asleep all day long, mouth open, unresponsive.
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #37
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thanks for the prayers. I feel like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. The sooner she passes the easier it will be. No one wants to lose her but she has no quality of life and it is just hard on everyone. I saw her Thursday and told her I love her and have a lot of great memories and will miss her but it's OK to go. I hope others have told her the same thing.

There are so many of us. There are a few more cousins scattered across the country. I hope she is not waiting for them b/c I'm not so sure they are coming until the funeral. They put her hearing aids in since hearing is the last sense to go. All of her children are here. There are 18 grandkids and 17 greats. My brother doesn't want to go. Perhaps he doesn't want to see her like that. I doubt my sisters will go b/c they just lost their mom's mom and they were both so close to her. It happened at Thanksgiving and it is probably just too raw right now. She has the same look my other grandma had. Fast asleep all day long, mouth open, unresponsive.
So sorry Marnie...thinking of you all.
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #38

Hey. One of my best friends is a friend of one of the navy pilots who died today. She (and of course the families) could use some prayers.

Gallery Blog

Unread 04-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #39
Gallery Gazer

Please forgive me for just showing up when I need prayers, but my son and his wife could really use some prayer warriors right now. About a month ago Nate lost his job and then two days later his wife finally got a diagnosis as to what has been causing her neurological problems that have been increasing over the past year or so. She was told she had late stage Lyme disease. Today she wrote me that after doing more testing and looking back into here medical records sent from her family Doctor in South Africa that they think she has had the Lyme disease for about 23 years. They found that when she was 4 years old she was treated for a tic bite that they feel was the cause. The treatment is that she will be on very heavy doses of antibiotics for at least a year and maybe as long as five years. A side effect of the Lyme disease is that her immune system has effectively been killed off and the infection they are fighting has settled into her brain.
I am asking for prayers this coming Sunday, April 7. Their church is having a special prayer service for her and I am asking every one I know to join in praying for her (Lindsay) and Nate.

Thank you all. I will be back but right now I'm not just able to chit chat and Flying is not happening. Intellectually I know I probably would be better if I was doing both, but emotionally I just can't do it. It seems as if for every one step I move forward right now I get pushed back two or three steps.

Suzanne
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #40

Oh Suzanne. I'm so sorry. Lyme is some nasty stuff. I will be praying for them!!!

Gallery Blog

quickstuff likes this post.