Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.
Send a message via AIM to mollymoo951
Heart march & EMBRACE da P O W E R

...of 5, 10, or 15 minutes. I can get a lot done in 5 minutes. As long as I have on my indoor shooooz. Otherwise, it might be five minutes...um...poof! I didn't say I get it all done. But it gets me started! And that's a start. That gets the mojo flowin baby! Five minutes. Take five.

Time...we all get the same amount of time. Every. Single. Day. What is different is what we CHOOSE TO DO WITH THE TIME WE HAVE.

We either use it or lose it. Really. How about this. We either use it wisely or we do not use it wisely. In YODA speak...use it wisely we do or do not.

TIME. We cannot redeposit it. We cannot save it. Once it's gone, it's gone. We don't dwell on the past tho. So...looking forward, how do we wisely use our time.

Kind of reminds me of something I heard...work hard all ya life @ a job ya don't like so you can retire & do what you DO like. Absurd! CRAZY! no. I mean, crazy, yes. No, I don't want to do that. Do you?

Kind of like...work hard all week & come home and CLEAN HOUSE ALL WEEKEND. um...NO! We want to stamp, scrap, geocache, sew, spend time with the family, work in the garden, paint...right?

So...the key here is using our 5, 10 or 15 minute chunks of time wisely. I've started keeping a list of things I can do...when I get so overwhelmed this time of the year with work...that I get on the one track mind of work! (tax season - for those that don't know...I'm a CPA.) The list of little things that I CAN do in 5, 10, or 15 minutes, so I don't forget to do them. One is order the boy an Otter Box. I can do that in 5 minutes or less, but not at the EXACT MOMENT I think of it.

While I embrace the philosophy of DO IT NOW, when I think of it and I'm at a different location, I write it down, so that when I DO have that 5, 10, 15 minute span of time, I CAN do it.

If you walk by the pop bottle the dog brought into the bedroom, just pick it up then & put it in the trash can. When you get the junk email, just delete it then. That keeps us from having to use our 5, 10, 15 minute chunks of time doing things we should do on a regular basis. It is a thought process that comes in time.

I think a great place to start is by EMBRACING THE POWER OF 5, 10 or 15 minutes.

How do you choose to use your time? What can you do it 5, 10 or 15 minutes?

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
ALWAYS has a P L A N

"Five minutes a day...and ya can't see I've done a darn thing!"

um...consistency.

How do we lose weight? A pound @ a time. duh. I know.

How do we lose that pound? Making small changes - say, portion moderation.

Over a period of time practicing portion control, we lose the pound. Then another one. Then another one. Soon, we've lost five pounds.

Decluttering follows the same philosophy. Five minutes a day won't do much unless you make a CHANGE in your behavior. That change...could be...say don't bring in more stuff. For any one thing you bring in, get rid of one or two.

Embrace the POWER of 5, 20, 15 minutes. CONSISTENTLY. on a regular basis.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Send a message via Skype™ to ashjoy

I wish changing others behaviors was as easy!

I live by the philosophy " pick it up once" which means if you pick something up put it back where it belongs. Don't put it down and have to pick it up again.

But in 5 minutes I can do kits....
Delete junk email.
Sort regular mail, mostly junk anyway.
Empty dishwasher.
Shine sink

In 10 minutes I can.
Fold and put away a load of laundry
Shine the guest bathroom
Write a letter if recommendation
Read a chapter in a book

In 15 minutes...
I can windex my kitchen cabinets
Dust the downstairs
Burn 100 calories by going for a brisk walk while getting the mail
Old 03-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Yep...love that "touch it once" philosophy, too.

Change takes time...and consistency.

Love your list.

The A-Team.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

I do almost all my cleaning 10-15 min at a time. (Sometimes 5, but that rarely makes enough of a dent that I'm ready to stop. But it does give me a take a kid to the potty, get someone juice, bust up a fight break.)

Decluttering, I usually can't do quickly. I'm just not mentally prepared for it. Every now and again, yes. I would say 15-30 min is more doable.

The trouble I have is what takes me 15 min to pickup takes the kids 3 min to destroy.

Gallery Blog

Relax, nothing is under control.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm with ya. I need to get better at using those little bits of time. Especially since I sometime whine at having to do things all at once!

100 creations in 100 days 33/100
This is your life.
Are you who you want to be?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaird View Post
I do almost all my cleaning 10-15 min at a time. (Sometimes 5, but that rarely makes enough of a dent that I'm ready to stop. But it does give me a take a kid to the potty, get someone juice, bust up a fight break.)

Decluttering, I usually can't do quickly. I'm just not mentally prepared for it. Every now and again, yes. I would say 15-30 min is more doable.

The trouble I have is what takes me 15 min to pickup takes the kids 3 min to destroy.
Yeah...I have to be mentally prepared to declutter.

This may or may not work for you. I think I shared the journey I took to declutter behind the door of the hutch in the office @ home. It had CDs & DVDs from another era in my life...could still be used. I was @ a loss for what to do...OK, I"ll take them to work. Then I got to stressing...about that! So, all the stuff I knew I didn't want to go back into the hutch, I put in a clothes basket (I think it was a tray, but anyway)...it was simmering all day...not in my conscious thoughts, but there. when I got home that night, I knew i just wanted them gone to someone that wanted them. so i decided to take the whole shebang that was in the basket to goodwill. i felt so much better.

maybe, decide what you want. i wanted to use that cubby without schtuff falling out and having to move stuff. i knew i was not using the cds and dvds...i'm not going to put together a dvd show. ok. not gonna happen. i had no need for them.

idk...but yeah...definitely need to mentally prepare to declutter. not sure how or if that helps any either.

The A-Team.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #8
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chercher View Post
I'm with ya. I need to get better at using those little bits of time. Especially since I sometime whine at having to do things all at once!
I think we all do that.

The A-Team.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
Proud Fan Club Member

It's almost nine and I don't feel awake enough yet to comment on this. Enjoyed reading it though. In fifteen minutes I can get half of my PT exercises done. I better go do them, then shower, then I will feel like processing this. I don't know why DH and I have both been so tired this week. Maybe it's all the running and driving we have been doing.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymoo951 View Post
Yeah...I have to be mentally prepared to declutter.

This may or may not work for you. I think I shared the journey I took to declutter behind the door of the hutch in the office @ home. It had CDs & DVDs from another era in my life...could still be used. I was @ a loss for what to do...OK, I"ll take them to work. Then I got to stressing...about that! So, all the stuff I knew I didn't want to go back into the hutch, I put in a clothes basket (I think it was a tray, but anyway)...it was simmering all day...not in my conscious thoughts, but there. when I got home that night, I knew i just wanted them gone to someone that wanted them. so i decided to take the whole shebang that was in the basket to goodwill. i felt so much better.

maybe, decide what you want. i wanted to use that cubby without schtuff falling out and having to move stuff. i knew i was not using the cds and dvds...i'm not going to put together a dvd show. ok. not gonna happen. i had no need for them.

idk...but yeah...definitely need to mentally prepare to declutter. not sure how or if that helps any either.
Like so many others I seem to put things off when I get overwhelmed but I think your idea of decide what I want to keep and move on from there. - GREAT IDEA!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #11

I might reread It's All Too Much and light that fire again. I think as far as decision-making, it would be easier to decide on a reasonable number of whatever and then choose favorites instead of choosing least favorites/undesirables. The problem with that is it involves dragging everything out to see at once and that requires time and space I rarely have.

I am decluttering as I do laundry. If it's stained, torn, stretched out, etc, I just chunk it. If it doesn't fit I put it in the donate pile or the box for Ezra to grow into.

Anyway, just need to get back to focusing on it. It's been very event-centric here the past 5 weeks with birthdays and holidays and weddings. Plus we were sick a lot. So I need to shake off that "what's coming up next" mentality and focus on daily progress.

As for things I can do in 5 min:
Unload the dishwasher
Clean out the sink
Start a load of laundry
Swish and swipe the front bathroom
Pick up in the hallway
Vacuum (if the floor is clear of debris)
Sweep (same)
Fill the Berkey
A clorox wipe's worth of wiping

10 min:
Fold a load of clothes
Make enough space to stamp on my table
Clear a kitchen counter
Swish and swipe my bathroom

15 min:
Pick up enough to vacuum
Or sweep
Declutter a drawer or box or small stack
Shred
Edit a few photos

Gallery Blog

Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthenoni View Post
Like so many others I seem to put things off when I get overwhelmed but I think your idea of decide what I want to keep and move on from there. - GREAT IDEA!!!
It is overwhelming...but I realized what I wanted for that area & that I really didn't want to touch these things AGAIN in one year (take to the shop for a year, see if I use them...ahem...not touched them since by Scouting days!)...motivated me to just take them to goodwill & they can sell them to someone who wants / needs them.

deciding what you want to keep vs deciding what to toss is focusing on the POSITIVE, not the negative.

you may have to curb wants to needs...but the same idea works.

The A-Team.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:
I might reread It's All Too Much and light that fire again. I think as far as decision-making, it would be easier to decide on a reasonable number of whatever and then choose favorites instead of choosing least favorites/undesirables. The problem with that is it involves dragging everything out to see at once and that requires time and space I rarely have.

I am decluttering as I do laundry. If it's stained, torn, stretched out, etc, I just chunk it. If it doesn't fit I put it in the donate pile or the box for Ezra to grow into.

Anyway, just need to get back to focusing on it. It's been very event-centric here the past 5 weeks with birthdays and holidays and weddings. Plus we were sick a lot. So I need to shake off that "what's coming up next" mentality and focus on daily progress.

As for things I can do in 5 min:
Unload the dishwasher
Clean out the sink
Start a load of laundry
Swish and swipe the front bathroom
Pick up in the hallway
Vacuum (if the floor is clear of debris)
Sweep (same)
Fill the Berkey
A clorox wipe's worth of wiping

10 min:
Fold a load of clothes
Make enough space to stamp on my table
Clear a kitchen counter
Swish and swipe my bathroom

15 min:
Pick up enough to vacuum
Or sweep
Declutter a drawer or box or small stack
Shred
Edit a few photos

I declutter laundry like you do...it is the easiest.

Something I just thought of...those of ya that hate putting away clean laundry, ya hate it cuz you ain't got no place for it...or it's a struggle to get it put away. Chances are...the stuff in the drawers are not "favorites" or been worn or something like that...or else, they'd be in the laundry. Maybe ya just don't rotate all the many shirts / whatever you have...then you have too many. They need to fit in the home. Pick your favorites & bless someone else with the rest.

(not aimed at mrslaird, just something I remembered several of ya chatting about last month.)

I used to feel that way...then I realized that the boy's shirt drawer had too many shirts / sweatshirts / whatever. Once I got the excess school shirts rotated to "ever-day"...ya know...i never realized that was not a word until I tried to label the boy's drawers when he was a tot......anyway. Once I rotated the excess school tshirts to "ever-day" and tossed the more stained ones...it worked out better.

Maybe dump a drawer and have the child choose their favorites. Make it a game? IDK. They like to make a mess. Just a thought. IDK.

The A-Team.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #14
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Things need to fit in the space / home you have for it. that's definitely Peter Walsh.

my hero.

ok. one of 'em.

The A-Team.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #15

Quote:

I declutter laundry like you do...it is the easiest.

Something I just thought of...those of ya that hate putting away clean laundry, ya hate it cuz you ain't got no place for it...or it's a struggle to get it put away. Chances are...the stuff in the drawers are not "favorites" or been worn or something like that...or else, they'd be in the laundry. Maybe ya just don't rotate all the many shirts / whatever you have...then you have too many. They need to fit in the home. Pick your favorites & bless someone else with the rest.

(not aimed at mrslaird, just something I remembered several of ya chatting about last month.)

I used to feel that way...then I realized that the boy's shirt drawer had too many shirts / sweatshirts / whatever. Once I got the excess school shirts rotated to "ever-day"...ya know...i never realized that was not a word until I tried to label the boy's drawers when he was a tot......anyway. Once I rotated the excess school tshirts to "ever-day" and tossed the more stained ones...it worked out better.

Maybe dump a drawer and have the child choose their favorites. Make it a game? IDK. They like to make a mess. Just a thought. IDK.
They do have too many clothes in their drawers. This is partly because they have too many clothes and partly because they need a new dresser. The bigger they get the fewer things fit in a drawer, ya know? And the same for the girl although with her even more than the boys it's that she's in a constant state of growth and what may have fit last week doesn't fit now. And really, I just want to do some things on auto-pilot and not have to evaluate everything every single time. *tiny t rex fist in the air*

Gallery Blog

Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #16
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:
They do have too many clothes in their drawers. This is partly because they have too many clothes and partly because they need a new dresser. The bigger they get the fewer things fit in a drawer, ya know? yep...remember that part.And the same for the girl although with her even more than the boys it's that she's in a constant state of growth and what may have fit last week doesn't fit now. remember that, too.And really, I just want to do some things on auto-pilot and not have to evaluate everything every single time. but, it's not all that easy. *tiny t rex fist in the air* this is CA-ute!
did you mention that the boys share a dresser? that don't help. :/

growing kids & clothes...makes it hard to tame...the clothes, not the kids.

critiquing clothing items as they come out of the laundry is a good process.

The A-Team.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #17

Yes, they share a dresser. It's not big enough. I might see if we can get one at IKEA if nothing else in a week or two. I guess I should check Craigslist first. I'm not a huge fan of the format, but I am a fan of saving money.

Okay, I'm going to stop watch myself putting away the folded clothes from a couple of days ago.

Gallery Blog

Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #18
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:
Yes, they share a dresser. It's not big enough. I might see if we can get one at IKEA if nothing else in a week or two. I guess I should check Craigslist first. I'm not a huge fan of the format, but I am a fan of saving money.

Okay, I'm going to stop watch myself putting away the folded clothes from a couple of days ago.
here's hoping it doesn't take as long as ya think it does.

The A-Team.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #19

10 min 55 sec.

Gallery Blog

Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #20
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:
10 min 55 sec.
not too bad.

The A-Team.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #21
ALWAYS has a P L A N

is that as long as you thought it was?

The A-Team.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #22

Quote:
is that as long as you thought it was?
I didn't have an opinion on how long it would be. Mostly I use the stopwatch so I will hustle.

Gallery Blog

Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #23
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:
I didn't have an opinion on how long it would be. Mostly I use the stopwatch so I will hustle.
gotcha.

The A-Team.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast

Subbing!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Paula, Check Goodwill, Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanities or some of the stores like that. I don't know if you have any of these in your area but check out some of the consignment stores too. I've gotten some really good deals at places like that.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
It is overwhelming...but I realized what I wanted for that area & that I really didn't want to touch these things AGAIN in one year (take to the shop for a year, see if I use them...ahem...not touched them since by Scouting days!)...motivated me to just take them to goodwill & they can sell them to someone who wants / needs them.

deciding what you want to keep vs deciding what to toss is focusing on the POSITIVE, not the negative.

you may have to curb wants to needs...but the same idea works.
I have some areas where I have decided what I want it to look like or what I want it to serve. I also have some areas that are just overwelming so I am going to hit them for the 15 mins at a time kind of thing.

I have been focusing on what I want to keep for quite a while and it feels good when I can see a difference. My problem right now is just carving out time to get into the areas I need to. It seems over the last several months each time I think I'm going to do ... today or tomorrow, whichever the case may be, someone in my family comes up with something else that I need to help them with. Maybe I need to learn to say NO more often or limit the time I will give to them for whatever it is.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthenoni View Post
Paula, Check Goodwill, Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanities or some of the stores like that. I don't know if you have any of these in your area but check out some of the consignment stores too. I've gotten some really good deals at places like that.
Thanks! We do have some and my husband loves to thrift. I love to thrift...without the kids. It's just not worth the time to me to haul everyone down the road and in and out five different places just on reconaissance missions. So maybe I'll send him before I go buy something.

Gallery Blog

Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #28
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thanks! We do have some and my husband loves to thrift. I love to thrift...without the kids. It's just not worth the time to me to haul everyone down the road and in and out five different places just on reconaissance missions. So maybe I'll send him before I go buy something.
Thank you for the word "THRIFT" I could not think of it at all. I love thrift shopping as well. To me it is like recycling and a deal to my purse. I also understand about the kiddos. I would not want to haul them around like that either. But it sounds like dh may enjoy the recon, take pics, measurements and prices. If there are only 5 stores then maybe it could be done in the am and then the purchase in the pm. I would also suggest that you think about where you might want to put the new dresser and measure so you have an idea what would be the largest size you could use.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #29
Proud Fan Club Member

I did learn brushing teeth and folding laundry at the same time today doesn't work!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #30
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashjoy View Post
I did learn brushing teeth and folding laundry at the same time today doesn't work!

what happened? toothpaste splatter on freshly laundered items? not enough hands? why would you do that? LOL. what were you thinking? this is cute. i gotta hear this.

The A-Team.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #31
Stazon Splitcoast

Good afternoon ladies. Hope your Saturday is being a great one.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #32
Lives in a fishbowl
Proud Fan Club Member

Decided during the night when I couldn't sleep that I would like to organize the empty canning jars in the canning cupboard...

SO...in 14 minutes I was able to rearrange all the empty jars together (they set upside down) and the food-filled jars on opposite sides of the cupboard.

Also I put all the "rings" in baggies (they are stored regular/wide separately).
Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #33
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramomma View Post
Decided during the night when I couldn't sleep that I would like to organize the empty canning jars in the canning cupboard...

SO...in 14 minutes I was able to rearrange all the empty jars together (they set upside down) and the food-filled jars on opposite sides of the cupboard.

Also I put all the "rings" in baggies (they are stored regular/wide separately).
WAY TO GO!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #34
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess I need to come up with some 5, 10 & 15 min activities I can do and post them on here. Maybe I'll put that on my list of things to do tomorrow.

Rest well my friends for in a few hours a brand new week begins. Make it the great one you deserve.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 AM   #35
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

what happened? toothpaste splatter on freshly laundered items? not enough hands? why would you do that? LOL. what were you thinking? this is cute. i gotta hear this.
I did a load of laundry befor I was really up, threw it in while dh was getting ready for work. Had towels in the dryer so dumped them on the bed to be folded. Can't start a day without fresh brushed teethe, but while I was brushing the unfolded stuff on my bed was taunting me. I did get the wash clothes folded and put away, towels were just to much for one hand and 2 minutes! Lol
Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #36
Proud Fan Club Member

Love the stop watch idea!

I decluttered 2 garbage bags of clothes from the spare room yesterday. I repurposed some sweaters to throw pillows, well one anyway. Any crafty ideas for sweaters? Or old clothes?

Now to get someone to make a trip to the thrift drop off. I did put them on Craig's list first with no takers, so they are going.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #37
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

I have a project for my ebay stuff that I want to work on this month, so I'm going to find some time to work on it every day that I'm home... even if it's 5 min. Maybe by the end of the month it will be complete.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #38
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperwannabe View Post
I have a project for my ebay stuff that I want to work on this month, so I'm going to find some time to work on it every day that I'm home... even if it's 5 min. Maybe by the end of the month it will be complete.
sounds like a good plan!

The A-Team.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #39
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Misti's Mega March Plan:

Items donated: 6
Time spent: 1 hr. 45 min

Last edited by Scraperwannabe; 03-07-2013 at 11:01 AM..
Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashjoy View Post
Love the stop watch idea!

I decluttered 2 garbage bags of clothes from the spare room yesterday. I repurposed some sweaters to throw pillows, well one anyway. Any crafty ideas for sweaters? Or old clothes?

Now to get someone to make a trip to the thrift drop off. I did put them on Craig's list first with no takers, so they are going.
Are the sweaters wool? If so, definitely! You can felt them!!!!

Gallery Blog